20211124_113635 (resized).jpg
Stern - LOTR 1 (resized).jpg
Stern - LOTR 4 (resized).jpg
Stern - LOTR 3 (resized).jpg
Stern - LOTR 2 (resized).jpg
259753438_423834236115856_6238148621535017107_n (resized).jpg
259689741_293534869336332_739365374203041718_n (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7,826 posts in this topic. You are on page 155 of 157.
#7701 43 days ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Just got my hands on a Bill Davis clearcoated NOS LOTR pf
Looks amazing. Will look even better in my game!

I have a back up HEP PF as well. I love having it as a back up as my LOTR will never leave the collection so it makes me feel good knowing it is there when/if I need it.

#7702 42 days ago

Got my ramps brass plated by Chris and they look amazing.
Took the time while the ramps were off to clean the nooks and crannies.
Excited to show off some pics!

1 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg
#7703 42 days ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Whoa, that really pops!

#7704 42 days ago

Looks really good

#7705 42 days ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great! Which art blades are those?

#7706 42 days ago
Quoted from chrismillsmusic:

Looks great! Which art blades are those?

Thanks guys, I'm really happy with how the game looks with the new plated ramps. The side blades are from retro refurbs. Link below.

https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/lord-rings-path-pinball-sideblades/#iLightbox[]/0

#7707 40 days ago

Hey all, just bought LOTR and am thrilled to have one. I have an issue where during multiball when save is active, the ball ejector continually fires (Even without a ball to eject) and will sometimes fire for a short time after the ball save stops. Seems to be working at all other times and even works properly it seems in Gollum MB. Let me know if this may have a common fix or not as I'm pretty new to everything here. Thanks!

#7708 39 days ago
Quoted from PCUR27:

I have an issue where during multiball when save is active, the ball ejector continually fires (Even without a ball to eject) and will sometimes fire for a short time after the ball save stops.

Sounds like a trough switch issue. Switches can stick or get stiff or a loose wire can work intermittently. Check the switch test with no balls in the trough, like when your in multiball. Also knock on the playfield a bit and see if any switch fires intermittently in switch test mode.

#7709 39 days ago

I had a similar issues several months back. During multiballs (fotr, ttt, rotk), balls would launch continously. I checked the trough switches and they were all good. My problem was the opto boards at the end of the trough, the red LED on the receiver (there are 2 small opto boards) was not lit. The problem wasn't the opto boards, rather it was the 2 pin connectors. I re-seated the connectors and it temporarily solved the problem. Vibration would cause the issue to re-appear. I put a thin coat of solder on the male pins to create a tighter connection and this has worked now for about 5 months. Probably will have to hard wire the connection to solve the issue permanently.

#7710 39 days ago
Quoted from Angel:

I had a similar issues several months back. During multiballs (fotr, ttt, rotk), balls would launch continously. I checked the trough switches and they were all good. My problem was the opto boards at the end of the trough, the red LED on the receiver (there are 2 small opto boards) was not lit. The problem wasn't the opto boards, rather it was the 2 pin connectors. I re-seated the connectors and it temporarily solved the problem. Vibration would cause the issue to re-appear. I put a thin coat of solder on the male pins to create a tighter connection and this has worked now for about 5 months. Probably will have to hard wire the connection to solve the issue permanently.

The correct repair would be to replace the male header. Replacing the female connector is usually the way to go as well. Replace both.

#7711 39 days ago

Any reason my spinner is collecting POTD souls?

#7712 39 days ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Nope. Check the spinner in switch test mode.

#7713 39 days ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Spinner is on the same row (#4) as the lower right switch on the POTD. Probably a diode problem on one of the switches on that row, likely the spinner itself.
LOTR Sw matrix (resized).png

#7714 39 days ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Spinner is on the same row (#4) as the lower right switch on the POTD. Probably a diode problem on one of the switches on that row, likely the spinner itself.
[quoted image]

Cool, I’ll check it out. Time to look up how to test a diode haha

#7715 38 days ago

I have been having some issues with flipper fade on long games and decided to install a set of cooling fans. I know folks have done this before and there are kits you can buy but it I am not sure I saw anything with specific instruction. It is really pretty easy and the fans I found from Digikey were pretty good and only $5. They are quiet enough that you can't hear them with the glass on. I just mounted them directly to the solenoid backing plate on each flipper with some malleable fence wire. I ordered connectors from Great Plains and tied into the 12v supply near the right flipper. Took me about an hour and pretty much anyone could do it.

Here are the specifics:

Fan from Digikey:

1025210934_HDR (resized).jpg

Mounting to Flipper:

1025210935_HDR (resized).jpg

Connection on playfield:

1025210935a_HDR (resized).jpg

Connection near right flipper:

1025210935 (resized).jpg

#7716 38 days ago

I must be lucky. I have the PL flipper coils and I have no issues with any shots. I have this pin over five years and it had the PL coils in it when I got it. The flippers never fade. I can make the ring shot with ease.

#7717 38 days ago
Quoted from drummermike:

must be lucky. I have the PL flipper coils and I have no issues with any shots.

Those are the replacement high power coils. He is taking about fade with the original flipper coils.

Read more about those here -

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/153#post-6531834

#7718 37 days ago

I have an original 2003 LOTR and I have never done the magnet transistor mod. I've also had it on one-ball DTR, giving the magnet a pretty easy life, but I would like to go back to the intended 2 ball mode.

I do have an IRL540N in the parts box... would y'all suggest pre-emptively swapping out the Q6 before it fails, and putting a 5A SB in F20?

(Oh, and I missed the discussion about LOTR's layout and how that relates to depth and longevity. More than any other game in my collection I find LOTR to be more than the sum of its parts. It doesn't have any exotic toys and the layout is somewhat mundane, yet somehow... it's magic anyway.)

#7719 37 days ago

Going to my first league night tonight. Woke up for some early morning practice and destroyed the ring for the first time. Valinor awaits!…and awaits…and awaits…and awaits…..

FA394738-57AB-48C9-A504-D78719BEB228 (resized).jpeg

#7720 37 days ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Those are the replacement high power coils. He is taking about fade with the original flipper coils.
Read more about those here -
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/153#post-6531834

I was not commenting on that. I was just telling my story to those that seem to have problems with the PL coils.

#7721 36 days ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I was not commenting on that. I was just telling my story to those that seem to have problems with the PL coils.

Nobody that I can ever remember stated the PL would fade. All the complaints (including mine) are that they are far too strong and that the medium strength coils are a much better solution for the fading problem.

#7722 36 days ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Nobody that I can ever remember stated the PL would fade. All the complaints (including mine) are that they are far too strong and that the medium strength coils are a much better solution for the fading problem.

What is the coil number for the medium coils?

#7723 36 days ago

https://ebay.com/itm/221941822782?mkevt=1&%3Bmkcid=1&%3Bmkrid=711-53200-19255-0&%3Bcampid=5338722076&%3Btoolid=10001&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5337059215&customid=&toolid=10001

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/154#post-6547017

This is the link to the coil that is made by a gentleman at APB. I reached out to him through his eBay site even though there weren't any available, and he was very attentive and reached back out to me once he had made more.

There is also a link to my impressions after changing from the higher power coils to these medium strength coils.

As you can see on the first link, the coil themselves have a designed coil wapper, noted as Lord of the Rings, medium strength, but no identifying coil strength numbers, etc.

#7724 36 days ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Right. I am saying mine are not too strong. They seem to be perfect at doing all the shots.

#7725 36 days ago

My PL coils also seem to be fine, but I got them right after they were available and mostly missed the debate. Knowing there is a medium power option available, I'm going to re-evaluate them.

#7726 36 days ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Right. I am saying mine are not too strong. They seem to be perfect at doing all the shots.

I must be lucky. I have the PL flipper coils and I have no issues with any shots. I have this pin over five years and it had the PL coils in it when I got it. The flippers never fade. I can make the ring shot with ease

My mistake, I took your post above to mean that you were commenting on the fact that they don't fade.

#7727 35 days ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

My mistake, I took your post above to mean that you were commenting on the fact that they don't fade.

NP. I should have been more clear. Whatever coils work are good.

#7728 34 days ago

I have the original Stern coils on my 2004 LOTR, but I bought a backup set of the medium strength coils just in case back in 2018. Haven’t needed them as my stock coils produce fairly strong shots, and I can backhand the right ramp. I do have to make the center ramp shot cleanly to avoid rejects, but I like the challenge. Each pin might be slightly different, with different pitch, playfield condition and other factors.

#7729 34 days ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

my stock coils produce fairly strong shots

If you play for 2hrs straight, you might notice them fading over time.

#7730 34 days ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

If you play for 2hrs straight, you might notice them fading over time.

Yep, it’s rare I put more than a game or two on it at a time, so they don’t get heated up often. But I do notice a slight dip in strength at the end of a long game.

#7731 34 days ago

LMAO

pasted_image (resized).png
#7732 28 days ago

Working on a mt doom mod since I can't find the older one.

20211104_015202 (resized).jpg
#7733 28 days ago

I found these while cleaning up some parts. I have a shaker motor for a LOTR, full cliffy set and roms. I believe the Ron’s will allow you to upgrade to the LE to be able to use the shaker. I am not 100% on that, but I had them set aside with the shaker.

$220 shipped if anyone is interested

39D9231D-D7A2-45D5-BE3C-5640D3BE3B81 (resized).jpegA84FC2F1-04E8-4E62-AF4A-3535A766D4DB (resized).jpegBE85969C-3342-47D0-8489-D1ED8E7DC890 (resized).jpegC268C6E8-C706-48D4-9095-CC8B7093D984 (resized).jpegFB0DBE93-84E7-4E0D-BC5D-6E5ED8B024D6 (resized).jpeg
#7734 28 days ago

I'll take the Cliffys, I have the rest. How much do you want for em?

#7735 28 days ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

I'll take the Cliffys, I have the rest. How much do you want for em?

Sent you a PM

#7736 28 days ago

Hey guys, ran into a little problem here and looking for some help. My 1st pin so take it easy on me. I've noticed that when i turn my LoTR off and back on the previous highscores are no longer there. Has anyone ran into this and is there a way to fix so it saves my scores?

#7737 28 days ago
Quoted from TylerJac:

Hey guys, ran into a little problem here and looking for some help. My 1st pin so take it easy on me. I've noticed that when i turn my LoTR off and back on the previous highscores are no longer there. Has anyone ran into this and is there a way to fix so it saves my scores?

That means the batteries aren't working, so open the backbox and take a look. If they aren't leaking, replace them, and order or make a remote battery holder.

If the batteries leaked... post a picture.

#7738 28 days ago
Quoted from TylerJac:

Try checking your batteries in the backbox. The batteries are needed to save high scores. Most people either replace the RAM to a NCRAm or just add a remote battery holder to get the batteries off the board as they can corrode and damage the board.

This one says for WPC but I think it should work fine in LotR:

https://www.pinballlife.com/remote-battery-holder-for-williamsbally-wpc-wpc-95-machines.html

#7739 28 days ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

That means the batteries aren't working, so open the backbox and take a look. If they aren't leaking, replace them, and order or make a remote battery holder.
If the batteries leaked... post a picture.

Beat me to it...

#7740 28 days ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

This one says for WPC but I think it should work fine in LotR:

It actually won't work as-is. The old Whitestar games are weird in that they have a 3x AA holder, but the electrical connections needed for the batteries are not at opposite corners like on WPC.

This product uses clips and the photos show the various install options. (I don't think clips are a great option since they might shake loose but this product page is a handy photo reference.)

https://www.pinball.co.uk/spares-accessories/remote-battery-holder/

pasted_image (resized).png
#7741 28 days ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

It actually won't work as-is. The old Whitestar games are weird in that they have a 3x AA holder, but the electrical connections needed for the batteries are not at opposite corners like on WPC.
This product uses clips and the photos show the various install options. (I don't think clips are a great option since they might shake loose but this product page is a handy photo reference.)
https://www.pinball.co.uk/spares-accessories/remote-battery-holder/
[quoted image]

Thanks for that clarification.

#7742 27 days ago
Quoted from J_Striker:

I found these while cleaning up some parts. I have a shaker motor for a LOTR, full cliffy set and roms. I believe the Ron’s will allow you to upgrade to the LE to be able to use the shaker. I am not 100% on that, but I had them set aside with the shaker.
$220 shipped if anyone is interested
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Just did the shaker mod. Interested in the cliffys if still available.

#7743 27 days ago

Shaker set sold, cliffy set still available $110 shipped on the cliffy set

#7744 26 days ago
Quoted from Ramrod215:

Working on a mt doom mod since I can't find the older one. [quoted image]

Very nice. Do you intend to sell it or post it on thingiverse?

Regards

#7745 26 days ago
Quoted from Ashram56:Very nice. Do you intend to sell it or post it on thingiverse?
Regards

Eh, think someone would buy it? I'll prob drop it on thingiverse a few weeks after finishing it

#7746 26 days ago

Thank you for the help guys! worked like a charm, highscores saved and now stays on free play.

#7747 26 days ago

Cliffy set sold, thanks guys

#7748 26 days ago
Quoted from greenhoody:

I went and looked at one yesterday. Dude knew nothing about it, his parents gave it to him and they'd had it since new. He wanted 8k and I think I'm the first person to ever remove the glass SO much coil powder. Playfield wasn't worn through anywhere but I'm a novice and not sure it could ever shine again. Might go back with novus 2 and see and make a lower offer. Always wanted this game!

it will clean up guaranteed, coil dust is a great protector on the playfield.

#7749 26 days ago

I have a HUO LOTR with under 800 plays. I've put a couple mods in it. I love the game a ton and wish I got into the hobby when all the mods were more accessible. No chance of finding all of them now like Gandalf on Shadowfax, Balrog whip, POTD, etc. So, I've come to the conclusion my only chance at a fully modded game is to buy someone else's that has all of the mods and sell mine.

SO, is anyone out there looking to part with their fully modded HUO LOTR? I could buy outright or trade mine towards yours if you still want the game but don't care about the mods much anymore. LMK

#7750 26 days ago
Quoted from jsitaly42:

I have a HUO LOTR with under 800 plays. I've put a couple mods in it. I love the game a ton and wish I got into the hobby when all the mods were more accessible. No chance of finding all of them now like Gandalf on Shadowfax, Balrog whip, POTD, etc. So, I've come to the conclusion my only chance at a fully modded game is to buy someone else's that has all of the mods and sell mine.
SO, is anyone out there looking to part with their fully modded HUO LOTR? I could buy outright or trade mine towards yours if you still want the game but don't care about the mods much anymore. LMK

Just sold mine fully modded for 15k 2 weeks ago

There are 7,826 posts in this topic. You are on page 155 of 157.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside