IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 147 of 204.
#7301 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Here is a pic I had on hand
[quoted image]

Perfect! Thank you! Just needed to see the order they went in

#7302 2 years ago

Ok hopefully last question for awhile. Have these 3 plastics. Pretty sure the far right one is a key chain but wanted to double check and didn't see where the other two could go. Pf is fully repopulated except path of the dead now

20210628_123125 (resized).jpg20210628_123125 (resized).jpg

#7303 2 years ago

Anyone know where these plastics go? Pretty sure the right one is a keychain but wanted to double check. Everything else is put back except the path of the dead.

20210628_123125 (resized).jpg20210628_123125 (resized).jpg
#7304 2 years ago

I think the middle one is a clear protector for the gimli saucer or the shire area and the one on the right is a key fob. Is the one on the left also clear / no print? Is it a figure mount?

#7305 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I think the middle one is a clear protector for the gimli saucer or the shire area and the one on the right is a key fob. Is the one on the left also clear / no print? Is it a figure mount?

Middle was shire protector, right is key chain. No clue on left

#7306 2 years ago

Anyone have a pinsound+ with motion control shaker? I have a problem with almost no shaker action with the Sjoend sound package, its a bit better with the original sound but far from perfect. Shouldnt it be the same shaker routine?

#7307 2 years ago

During destroy the ring it seems like the ball is being held a bit further back, resulting in far more often the magnet catching both balls. Is this adjustable, can anyone describe it if so? It also could be one of those things that's just random that seems that is just happening more often now, any help would be appreciated.

#7308 2 years ago
Quoted from frodak99:

During destroy the ring it seems like the ball is being held a bit further back, resulting in far more often the magnet catching both balls. Is this adjustable, can anyone describe it if so? It also could be one of those things that's just random that seems that is just happening more often now, any help would be appreciated.

check that your balls are not magnetized

#7309 2 years ago

I finally put in the time to fix Balrog and upgrade the right flipper to the better coil. Also put in cliffy’s, decals, new plantir glass orb, etc. Found pop bumper breaks in both the yoke and the metal backing plate, so have those on order.

Two issues though on the main things I wanted to fix haha:

1) Balrog - have it registering hits every time now, that’s good. Still can’t get it to light up though. Have the BA9 bulbs it uses, tested the wires. Maybe it’s connected to other flashers that are out???

2) right flipper - with the new coil, plays strong all game, but specifically at the Legolas ramp, it fires so hard it flies off the ramp, towards the shire. Anyone else experience this?

4DC4DDF1-8501-48A0-9758-084959D12545 (resized).jpeg4DC4DDF1-8501-48A0-9758-084959D12545 (resized).jpeg52D88E9A-D1E0-4B6E-AFBC-76483A081F2A (resized).jpeg52D88E9A-D1E0-4B6E-AFBC-76483A081F2A (resized).jpeg
#7310 2 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

I
Two issues though on the main things I wanted to fix haha:
1) Balrog - have it registering hits every time now, that’s good. Still can’t get it to light up though. Have the BA9 bulbs it uses, tested the wires. Maybe it’s connected to other flashers that are out???
2) right flipper - with the new coil, plays strong all game, but specifically at the Legolas ramp, it fires so hard it flies off the ramp, towards the shire. Anyone else experience this?
[quoted image][quoted image]

1) Yep, Balrog Flash is in the Coil Matrix as are the Flashers

2) Common issue, solved by putting a small 2" x 2" clear piece of acrylic attached to the Path of the Dead, overhanging the Legolas ramp at it's apex. You can see the one I made in the attached pic

972B805B-842F-4DE9-AF5C-A45795E030D3.jpeg972B805B-842F-4DE9-AF5C-A45795E030D3.jpeg
#7311 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

1) Yep, Balrog Flash is in the Coil Matrix as are the Flashers
2) Common issue, solved by putting a small 2" x 2" clear piece of acrylic attached to the Path of the Dead, overhanging the Legolas ramp at it's apex. You can see the one I made in the attached pic[quoted image]

Awesome, thanks for the pic! So attached under the POTD plastic it looks like, must have raised the end of that plastic? Or did you change out the post to the playfield for a shorter one?

I also need the plastic for my POTD characters I have. Found them for $20!

#7312 2 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Awesome, thanks for the pic! So attached under the POTD plastic it looks like, must have raised the end of that plastic? Or did you change out the post to the playfield for a shorter one?
I also need the plastic for my POTD characters I have. Found them for $20!

It's attached under the bottom right post under the path plastic, which is not supported underneath so it doesn't affect the PoTD height.

#7313 2 years ago
Quoted from frodak99:

I’ve owned the game since March and have read every post in this thread. Thanks to all for helping me get my LOTR dialed in. Today the stars aligned and I finally reached Valinor
[quoted image]

I’ve owned my LOTR since 2005 and have yet to hit valinor so I believe “screw you!” and “congratulations” are both in order!

#7314 2 years ago

Venting post … Balrog is so darn frustrating. Had the switch working, registering hits for a number of games … now not registering at all in game, still shows as working in the switch test. Balrog can’t be beaten!

#7315 2 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

In the manual on page 141 you can see F21 supplies 50vdc to J10 pins 4 and 5.
On page 8 you can see the list of coils that J10 P4/5 (yellow-violet) powers.
You can also see the control signal next to it for each coil, which all use J8 and J9 various pins.
Look over each of the coil lugs for the coils associated with J10-p4/5. Are any coil lugs touching ground or loose wires touching ground there?
Does the fuse blow with J8 and J9 unplugged? I doubt it is a bad transistor, that would just make the coil be stuck on, not necessarily blow F21.

Looking through my game to try find what is blowing f21, assuming there’s a short somewhere. Noticed the coil on my trough eject is a bit unraveled and is touching the bracket it’s mounted on. Could this be the culprit?

9C9B75AB-8BA5-4E31-AA69-1511AF464FB9 (resized).jpeg9C9B75AB-8BA5-4E31-AA69-1511AF464FB9 (resized).jpeg
#7316 2 years ago
Quoted from TheShaft:

Looking through my game to try find what is blowing f21, assuming there’s a short somewhere. Noticed the coil on my trough eject is a bit unraveled and is touching the bracket it’s mounted on. Could this be the culprit?
[quoted image]

Yes, short circuit. I would replace the coil.
Supposed to look like this:
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-090-5044-ot26-1200-coil.html

#7317 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Thank you, I love how fast I can get answers here.

#7318 2 years ago
Quoted from TheShaft:

Thank you, I love how fast I can get answers here.

I would consider ordering a new coil sleeve in addition to the coil. They are inexpensive.

When you replace the coil make sure not to reverse the wires when you make the connections on the new coil.

#7319 2 years ago

Not arguing at all, and this likely is the issue, but aren't those coiled wires insulated? More of a curiousity question.

Quoted from DCFAN:

Supposed to look like this:
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-090-5044-ot26-1200-coil.html

#7320 2 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

Not arguing at all, and this likely is the issue, but aren't those coiled wires insulated? More of a curiousity question.

Yes, they have a varnish that covers the wire. But the tip where it broke off won't be insulated. If you ever need to solder this type of wire, and this could certainly be done on this coil to repair it, take a pocket knife or exacto blade and scrape the insulation off to get to the bare wire. A little difficult since the wire is so fine, but it can be done and then you can solder to it.

#7321 2 years ago

with very fine insulated wire i just melt off the covering using the soldering iron

#7322 2 years ago

I have flippers that get slightly weak after 10-20 minute games where they can't quite reach the ring hole during Destroy the Ring. Terry at Pinballife says (in order from most to least) these are the most effective remedies:

1 - Replace the cabinet flipper switches
2 - Rebuild the flippers
3 - Replace the coil with the stronger LOTR coil.

Any consensus here with those that have dealt with it personally?

#7323 2 years ago
Quoted from WildRover:

2 - Rebuild the flippers

Not sure how switches would help (but doesn’t mean they won’t - I’d trust Terry over me).

Rebuilding flippers helps

pinballife coils are WAY too strong, medium strength coils are good but not available now.

A number of people have put pc fans in the cabinet pointed at the coils to keep them cool and have reported very good results. I’d try the fans and a rebuild before doing anything more.

#7324 2 years ago
Quoted from WildRover:

I have flippers that get slightly weak after 10-20 minute games where they can't quite reach the ring hole during Destroy the Ring. Terry at Pinballife says (in order from most to least) these are the most effective remedies:
2 - Rebuild the flippers

Ditto what was said, buy everything you need from Terry except for the LOTR coils. Get the APB Medium Strength Coils if you decide to swap them. I have them on mine and while they are a little snappy, I do like making the shots I attempt and don't have any ramp derailments or anything like that.

#7326 2 years ago
Quoted from WildRover:

Are these the flippers you guys are referring to?:
ebay.com link: itm

yes

#7327 2 years ago
Quoted from jdroc:

pinballife coils are WAY too strong, medium strength coils are good but not available now.

I bought a pair of medium strength coils on eBay about a month ago. Search “LOTR coils” if this link isn’t working, it’s the first result.

ebay.com link: itm

1 week later
#7328 2 years ago

Hello the Fellowship, my topper is alive ! Let me know what you think about it

#7329 2 years ago
Quoted from November:

//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"3130271ed58de523b5e0d55f0b65e82fe5a53b12-1625924641-1800"};
//]]>

Very nice. Unique! Wish I had a ceiling that tall.

#7330 2 years ago
Quoted from November:

//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"414e8313b7b33d03701a982314db797f70cdf9d4-1625932131-1800"};
//]]>

Very nice! Anduino or similar controlled?

#7331 2 years ago
Quoted from November:

That is incredible man!

#7332 2 years ago
Quoted from November:

//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"9b548fbbafe5a58a7c491bb11c8734990d6b7308-1625950043-1800"};
//]]>

Whoa, sweet! Are you selling these?

#7333 2 years ago

Hey guys, new member here. Just destroyed the ring today and I'm hooked. Looking for a solution to the only problem I have noticed so far. Hitting the left ramp often comes back down the wireform so fast that the ball randomly flies off the track back onto the playfield. Anybody else have to tweak something to get this behaving as expected with a smooth 100% return to the left flipper? Thanks.

PXL_20210710_171126449 (resized).jpgPXL_20210710_171126449 (resized).jpg
#7334 2 years ago
Quoted from jlatko:

Hey guys, new member here. Just destroyed the ring today and I'm hooked. Looking for a solution to the only problem I have noticed so far. Hitting the left ramp often comes back down the wireform so fast that the ball randomly flies off the track back onto the playfield. Anybody else have to tweak something to get this behaving as expected with a smooth 100% return to the left flipper? Thanks.
[quoted image]

There are two things that you can do the first is make a custom piece of Lexan or plexiglass and put it over the ramp right where you see I have mine mounted and dress it up with a little character, or the second option is get a piece of Velcro the softer side that is self stick and put it right on the outer wall of the curve in the ramp to slow the ball down.

D3AB96BE-10C4-4E9D-B1EE-B9F4E56C1593 (resized).jpegD3AB96BE-10C4-4E9D-B1EE-B9F4E56C1593 (resized).jpeg
#7335 2 years ago

Could also increase playfield angle and go into the settings and adjust the flipper power a little lower. Though that might make shots like the ring and sword ramp harder too.

#7336 2 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

There are two things that you can do the first is make a custom piece of Lexan or plexiglass and put it over the ramp right where you see I have mine mounted and dress it up with a little character, or the second option is get a piece of Velcro the softer side that is self stick and put it right on the outer wall of the curve in the ramp to slow the ball down.[quoted image]

How did you mount the plexiglass? So that seems to be the falling off spot and the ball just hits the plexi instead? Where are you saying to add the Velcro? Back of the ramp before it rises to the wireform? Thanks.

#7337 2 years ago
Quoted from jlatko:

Velcro? Back of the ramp before it rises to the wireform?

Yes right in the hairpin turn to bleed off speed.

Quoted from jlatko:

How did you mount the plexiglass? So that seems to be the falling off spot and the ball just hits the plexi instead?

Correct, the plexi is mounted with 20lb 3M double sided tape along with one of the lower playfield screws that was long enough to self tap into the plexi as well.

I would try the self stick Velcro first as it's the easiest to do and quickly removable if you don't like it.

#7338 2 years ago
Quoted from jlatko:

Hitting the left ramp often comes back down the wireform so fast that the ball randomly flies off the track back onto the playfield. Anybody else have to tweak something to get this behaving as expected with a smooth 100% return to the left flipper? Thanks.

Some other ideas..
- You can loosen the nut at the center support of the ramp so it has some wobble. (wobbly ramp absorbs speed)
- Confirm the center support of the ramp is not lifted up to install a plastic protector under it, which would tend to create more of a jump shape to the ramp.
- Confirm you do not have upgraded high power flipper coils installed to fix the flipper fade on long games and install the medium power coils to prevent fade instead if necessary.

#7339 2 years ago

Mine rarely if ever flies off this ramp with no modifications. Three things come to mind.
1. Check for factory flipper coils and not the pinballlife high power coils.
2. Try increasing the pitch. Put front levelers all the way in, back levelers about 1/2 way out.
3. If your game is clean and waxed, let it get a little bit dirty.

#7340 2 years ago

Can someone help me find high resolution pictures of the lotr plastics? I need to make some replacement pieces.
Thanks

#7341 2 years ago

There's a dude that makes a small wireform that matches the ramps that goes over the top in that section. Most elegant solution IMO.

#7342 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

There's a dude that makes a small wireform that matches the ramps that goes over the top in that section. Most elegant solution IMO.

I reached out to him last week, he doesn't make them anymore unfortch

#7343 2 years ago
Quoted from WildRover:

I reached out to him last week, he doesn't make them anymore unfortch

Fyi I am working on plastics and my Shire Wire mod. So much to do, so little time!

#7344 2 years ago

Super stoked about coming back to the club in a few weeks with a trade pending. Exciting times ahead!

#7345 2 years ago

Does anyone have good replacement options for the vertical plastic that prevents balls dropping from the POTD, over the shire, and into the outlane? Mine is cracked.

#7346 2 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Does anyone have good replacement options for the vertical plastic that prevents balls dropping from the POTD, over the shire, and into the outlane? Mine is cracked.

I use this one to guide the ball to the ramp instead of the Shire: https://pinbits2.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=464

#7347 2 years ago
Quoted from WildRover:

I use this one to guide the ball to the ramp instead of the Shire: https://pinbits2.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=464

Except they are no longer in business.

#7348 2 years ago
Quoted from WildRover:

I'd prefer it drop to the shire for the souls

#7349 2 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

I'd prefer it drop to the shire for the souls

I agree to use other options since the deflector removes the randomizer function therefore preferring art over gameplay. Obviously, there are flaws which can cause balls to jump out of lanes, cause damage, etc. I follow the intent of using mods to significantly reduce or eliminate flaws without significant gameplay changes. Also, I like mods which add protection, art and/or a better player/observer interface (Pinsound etc.)
With that said and in addition to the deflector, there are three other previously reported options.
1. Replace the damaged Arwen plastic with a new one with a different image. Two are typically readily available. Gollum image and Forest image.
2. DIY a clear polycarbonate (Lexan) overlay which fits over the Arwen plastic to protect it.
3. Find the ramp mod which extends into the Hobbit hole area. These are difficult to find now.

#7350 2 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

If you are referring to the vertical plastic piece behind the Hobbit hole VUK which separates the left lanes from the Hobbit hole area, I have not seen one available online. Although folks report planning to create them for personal use and for sale, I have not seen a projected date upon which they will be available. For me, this would become a DIY project.
One option would be to buy or find a laser cutter. Then you can make as many plastic pieces as you want. Learning the software CAD files is not difficult if you can learn from online video instruction. The main pro of this option is once a first copy is created, reproducing several is much easier, less time consuming and less expensive per piece.
The second DIY option is to use a Dremel or other Lexan cutting tool. This is a labor intensive process since each piece has curves and need to be made seperately. Also, cleaning up the cut edges is more work intense, but this is my current method since I lost access to the laser cutter option.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Baton Rouge, LA
$ 18.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 147 of 204.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/147?hl=wildrover and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.