IMG_3697 (resized).jpg
IMG_3404 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3383 (resized).jpeg
FB_IMG_1706824939129.jpg
lotr switch matrix (resized).jpg
lotr (resized).jpg
instruction card 2 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,030 posts in this topic. You are on page 138 of 201.
#6851 2 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

I'm partial to the green LED but it all comes down to what you like best for your taste. I'll send you a video of mine installed.

Cool, that thread mentioned the figures are UV reactive, but I don’t have any of those bulbs, and of all the pics I’ve looked at I don’t I hunk I’ve seen one with UV. I want to be sure they still look green in the end and don’t start glowing purple.

#6852 2 years ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

After upgrading roms, pal chips and installing a shaker, what does the LE have different? Besides back glass. Is there anything else different?

The heck is wrong with you? The LE has the "beard c#ck" !!! No other pin in the history of all pins has a "beard c#ck". That singular difference is what defines and elevates the LE over the basic, "pedestrian" and "common" Lord of the Rings game.

QSS

#6853 2 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

The heck is wrong with you? The LE has the "beard c#ck" !!! No other pin in the history of all pins has a "beard c#ck". That singular difference is what defines and elevates the LE over the basic, "pedestrian" and "common" Lord of the Rings game.

QSS

Ha! the OP mentioned"besides backglass" so I thought it appropriate to leave it at that.

#6854 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Shire Wire mod no longer being made. Anyone have dimensions/pattern/thickness/material source etc? Or maybe an extra?

Did you end up finding the “shire wire” mod? If so, where? I’d like to get one.

#6855 2 years ago

Greetings, I’m very happy to be joining this club once again (for the third time).
I’ve secured a nice standard edition and am expecting the game to arrive over the next month or so.
I was told it still has the stock flipper coils.

My previous examples had the well known flipper fade issue.
I would like to order a couple of the upgrade flipper coils and was looking for some assistance:
I see that APB Enterprises sells the medium power coils.
Also, that Pinball Life sells the upgrade coils, part# 090-5020-20T.

For those that have upgraded the coils, which do you prefer?
I am leaning towards the APB coils as heard they provide an appropriate level of power for longer games (and to consistently get up the middle ramp).

Really excited to get this amazing pin back into the collection and I appreciate the input.

#6856 2 years ago

apb mediums, i don' t think there will be many recommendations for the pbl's

#6857 2 years ago

@pinballjj: Thanks!
Do you know off hand where the APB coils are available to be purchased?

#6858 2 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

Did you end up finding the “shire wire” mod? If so, where? I’d like to get one.

No luck on the Shire Wire. I will be making my own based on info I got from previous maker. I will probably do a batch so I may have one for you.

#6859 2 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

pinballjj: Thanks!
Do you know off hand where the APB coils are available to be purchased?

Here is the link although pinside market is down right now for maintenance apparently.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1065-apb-enterprises/01414-new-stern-pinball-medium-power-coil-lord-of-the-rings-gnr

#6860 2 years ago

Thanks! Once this maintenance is cleared up & the link is working, I’ll check out APB’s coils.

#6861 2 years ago

Tried last week,unless things have changed. APB didn't have an option on Pinside to ship to Canada...Hopefully this has or will change.

#6862 2 years ago

@Angel: Do you know of any other retailers that carry the LOTR APB coils that would ship to Canada (if APB Enterprises won’t ship to Toronto)?

#6863 2 years ago

I'm puzzled...

I finally found the time to try to identify the culprit diode in my phantom switch issue (as a reminder, hitting the Balrog when the "balrog close", ball through 2 switch were closed resulted into a plunger phantom switch). I tested all diodes, except the Balrog switch diode, as it's simply not there... I can't find it. I would have assumed it would be behind the Balrog, but that's not the case.

So unless the diode unsoldered and got loose somewhere, where is it located ?? And if it's indeed missing, that's even more puzzling as a missing diode would not cause a phantom switch from what I understand of the mecanics, am I right ?

Cheers

#6864 2 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

Angel: Do you know of any other retailers that carry the LOTR APB coils that would ship to Canada (if APB Enterprises won’t ship to Toronto)?

I'm in the same boat as you. I would love to get these coils to replace the ones I have in my LOTR. I will reach out to Player One to see if they can bring them in and what it would cost or if they already have them in stock...

#6865 2 years ago

The hearts of men are easily corrupted, and my new lotr pin has betrayed its owner. It's now allll mine! 'So cool and niiice, so juicy sweeeeeet!'

This thing plays so smoothly by design, and quiet.. Everything just seems so right. Let the quest for Valinor begin!

My pin is in a fairly dark room, which glass (3 choices?) do you recommend I get, to remove the DMD reflection? Especially since PDI is out of stock for at least a month. Will the Stern HD be just fine?

Also the backglass bulb fell out during it's quest across middle earth! Still works though, amazingly Time to install all these goodies on my baby.

20210311_172208 (resized).jpg20210311_172208 (resized).jpg20210311_172611 (resized).jpg20210311_172611 (resized).jpg
#6866 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

No luck on the Shire Wire. I will be making my own based on info I got from previous maker. I will probably do a batch so I may have one for you.

That is supercool of you! Please reach out to if/when you have one available. Happy to buy one off you!

#6867 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

My pin is in a fairly dark room, which glass (3 choices?) do you recommend I get, to remove the DMD reflection? Especially since PDI is out of stock for at least a month. Will the Stern HD be just fine?
[quoted image][quoted image]

I have the Stern HD glass on my LOTR and it looks fine with the color LED.

Pinball Life sells a "Bent Plastic" that you can slide in to the back channel and it does a great job of removing the reflection.

https://www.pinballlife.com/bent-plastic.html

The first picture below is the regular glass with the Lord of the Rings directly below an LED florescent light with a lot of glare. The reflection is seen by the person standing in front of the game.

The second picture is with Stern HD glass. It is much better. The glare shows in the photo but cannot be seen by the player standing in front of the game.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#6868 2 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I’m 6 months into my LOTR experience – my 2nd machine ever – pretty happy! Something I’ve wanted for years….

However, my machine was definitely routed (I even didn’t get a coin tray or backglass lock + locking plate) and has some very funky issues that I’d love some feedback/info on:

(1)
My Aragon ramp (right ramp) looks to be assembled wrong: The ball has to jump up at the end of the ramp in order to make it on to the sword. It would make sense for the sword to be below the on-ramp so that the ball does not need more energy to jump up (or get scratched up more on the unpolished sword edge). Attached are some pics of what’s going on in my machine, as well as the pic from the manual, which really doesn’t help. Can anyone share pics of their setup – specifically how the fixation(s) work? (rivets, screws, nuts, etc?)

(2)
My Balrog has holes drilled in it (near the head) and my lights shine white through them – is this normal? >_<

(3)
Does anyone have a good solution for drooping acrylic supports – specifically the acrylic supporting my Ring Wraith at the top of the sword ramp is sagging and can sometimes capture the ball between the acrylic and sword. (If anyone has patterns for supports, I’d love a copy of the designs as I can laser cut acrylic.)

(4)
Anyone come up with a good solution to the issue where the ball properly falls from the paths of the dead onto the metal ramp, then bounces back out directly into the hobbit hole? The ball DOES totally miss the typical impact spot of the acrylic below the POTD, thankfully.

(5)
I rebuilt the flippers and mistakenly reversed a coil – blew a fuse and I’m betting the FET (transistor) is blown as it is shorted to ground. Already have a replacement and planning to solder it in shortly - anyone else have advice as to what to proactively check after reversing a coil?

(6)
Anyone have a design/drawing for just the dimensions of a pinblade? I want to laser-cut a thin clear acrylic protector so that I do not cause further damage to the inside of my cab.

Thanks for reading this far! ^_^

Sharing some love: I did find/buy some of the rarer switches for the Gimli VUK and Hobbit holes – the switch actuator (the part hat actually presses the switch) is the flat style and works well with your original “Y” lever metal. https://www.tedss.com/catalog/details/2027002369 (Tedss dot com - part # E63-00H) I do have a few spares I could send out. ^_^

Thanks again,
A happy EE who blows stuff up on stage for a living...

20210206_220253_resized_1 (resized).jpg20210206_220253_resized_1 (resized).jpglotr_manual_pic (resized).jpglotr_manual_pic (resized).jpg20210206_220222_resized (resized).jpg20210206_220222_resized (resized).jpg20210206_220320_resized (resized).jpg20210206_220320_resized (resized).jpg
#6869 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePhysicsGuy:

Hi Everyone!
I’m 6 months into my LOTR experience – my 2nd machine ever – pretty happy! Something I’ve wanted for years….
However, my machine was definitely routed (I even didn’t get a coin tray or backglass lock + locking plate) and has some very funky issues that I’d love some feedback/info on:
(1)
My Aragon ramp (right ramp) looks to be assembled wrong: The ball has to jump up at the end of the ramp in order to make it on to the sword. It would make sense for the sword to be below the on-ramp so that the ball does not need more energy to jump up (or get scratched up more on the unpolished sword edge). Attached are some pics of what’s going on in my machine, as well as the pic from the manual, which really doesn’t help. Can anyone share pics of their setup – specifically how the fixation(s) work? (rivets, screws, nuts, etc?)
(2)
My Balrog has holes drilled in it (near the head) and my lights shine white through them – is this normal? >_<
(3)
Does anyone have a good solution for drooping acrylic supports – specifically the acrylic supporting my Ring Wraith at the top of the sword ramp is sagging and can sometimes capture the ball between the acrylic and sword. (If anyone has patterns for supports, I’d love a copy of the designs as I can laser cut acrylic.)
(4)
Anyone come up with a good solution to the issue where the ball properly falls from the paths of the dead onto the metal ramp, then bounces back out directly into the hobbit hole? The ball DOES totally miss the typical impact spot of the acrylic below the POTD, thankfully.
(5)
I rebuilt the flippers and mistakenly reversed a coil – blew a fuse and I’m betting the FET (transistor) is blown as it is shorted to ground. Already have a replacement and planning to solder it in shortly - anyone else have advice as to what to proactively check after reversing a coil?
(6)
Anyone have a design/drawing for just the dimensions of a pinblade? I want to laser-cut a thin clear acrylic protector so that I do not cause further damage to the inside of my cab.
Sharing some love: I did find/buy some of the rarer switches for the Gimli VUK and Hobbit holes – the switch actuator (the part hat actually presses the switch) is the flat style and works well with your original “Y” lever metal. https://www.tedss.com/catalog/details/2027002369 (Tedss dot com - part # E63-00H) I do have a few spares I could send out. ^_^
Thanks again,
A happy EE who blows stuff up on stage for a living...[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The Images with the white plastic spacer is wrong.

1- the silver metal ramp piece goes below the golden ramp,

2- the white plastic spacer goes below the golden ramp and on top of the silver ramp piece ( so it goes between them )

3 - and then the screw goes down through them all starting on top of the golden ramp securing them in place.

#6870 2 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

Thanks! Once this maintenance is cleared up & the link is working, I’ll check out APB’s coils.

If you don't wanna wait, saw some on ebay

Look at this on eBay
ebay.com link: New Stern Pinball Medium Power Coil Lord of the Rings Guns Roses sleeve

#6871 2 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

The Images with the white plastic spacer is wrong.
1- the silver metal ramp piece goes below the golden ramp,
2- the white plastic spacer goes below the golden ramp and on top of the silver ramp piece ( so it goes between them )
3 - and then the screw goes down through them all starting on top of the golden ramp securing them in place.

Now I understand why the ball was bouncing back on mine.... it’s missing the spacer completely, and it’s reversed as well... would welcome the dimensions of the spacer so that I can 3D print it

Regards

#6872 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

would welcome the dimensions of the spacer so that I can 3D print it

1/4" X 3/8" Plastic Spacer Gray - according to the manual.

#6873 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePhysicsGuy:

Hi Everyone!
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(6)
Thanks again,
A happy EE who blows stuff up on stage for a living...[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

My Balrog also has a hole in its head! Let me know if you find a solution.

#6874 2 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-5083-00

#6875 2 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

If you are talking about this, that is how they are.

20210312_230422 (resized).jpg20210312_230422 (resized).jpg
#6876 2 years ago

Balrog is a hot head! He's gotta let off steam... LOL

#6877 2 years ago

Is there any source for the yellow plastic flasher cap? Or does someone have a good used one?

20210311_122201 (resized).jpg20210311_122201 (resized).jpg
#6878 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Is there any source for the yellow plastic flasher cap? Or does someone have a good used one?
[quoted image]

Color may not be an exact match. If you are missing one I would buy a pair.

https://www.pinballlife.com/plastic-light-domes-twist-on.html

#6879 2 years ago

Hey guys.
Earlier in this thread I was looking or a set of plastic protectors with the holes drilled for the characters feet. Pinbits used to make them.
A nice pinsider sold me a set he thought was what I was looking for, but it is the standard set so I am back in the hunt.
If anyone has an extra set I’m more than willing to purchase it from you.
Thanks!

#6880 2 years ago

Can anyone identify this bracket and where it goes?

Screenshot_20210314-105018_Messenger (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210314-105018_Messenger (resized).jpg
#6881 2 years ago

I’ve sent a PM last week to Andrew at APB Enterprises regarding his medium power LOTR coils.
Does anyone know by chance if he’s still an active member? His Pinside store is still down for maintenance. I will try to reach him via his EBay listing if he’s no longer active here.

Thanks!

#6882 2 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

I’ve sent a PM last week to Andrew at APB Enterprises regarding his medium power LOTR coils.
Does anyone know by chance if he’s still an active member? His Pinside store is still down for maintenance. I will try to reach him via his EBay listing if he’s no longer active here.
Thanks!

I just ordered one from eBay yesterday fro APB. Check there!

#6883 2 years ago

Hey all

I joined the club yesterday

Awesome pinball!
Greats

#6884 2 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Hey guys.
Earlier in this thread I was looking or a set of plastic protectors with the holes drilled for the characters feet. Pinbits used to make them.
A nice pinsider sold me a set he thought was what I was looking for, but it is the standard set so I am back in the hunt.
If anyone has an extra set I’m more than willing to purchase it from you.
Thanks!

This is what he is looking for:
https://pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_48&products_id=441

#6885 2 years ago

Thank you for posting this, I apologize for the earlier confusion.

#6886 2 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Thank you for posting this, I apologize for the earlier confusion.

If anyone has a set of these that could trace them for me, I could CNC some up since they are no longer made. I need the Shadowfax portion and it says part of that is not shown.

Screenshot_20210315-234117_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210315-234117_Chrome (resized).jpg
#6887 2 years ago

No-base character plates

Screenshot_20210315-234522_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210315-234522_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210315-234543_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210315-234543_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210315-234631_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210315-234631_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210315-234650_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210315-234650_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210315-234705_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210315-234705_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210315-234717_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210315-234717_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210315-234735_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210315-234735_Chrome (resized).jpg
#6888 2 years ago

Does anyone know where I can find a complete set of playfield plastics that are in stock?

#6889 2 years ago

Looks like I ordered both "Lord of the Rings - Figure Mounting Set V2 (LOTRFEETS2)" and "Lord of the Rings Plastic Protectors (LOTRPG)" back in 2013 according to my emails and I don't remember putting them on (at least not the figure mounting set). I'll look through my bin of stuff to see if I still have them. I would not be interested in selling but if someone could reproduce them for others then I could lend them out.

#6890 2 years ago
Quoted from holm:

Does anyone know where I can find a complete set of playfield plastics that are in stock?

Not 100% complete (missing 2 plastics) but in stock according the website:
https://pinball-parts.shop/kategoriesuche/spielfeldteile/plastics/24614/plastik-satz-lord-of-the-rings-49teilig-unvollstaendig-nos?c=300

#6891 2 years ago

Just picked up a LotR a week or so ago and have been working through it to get it back to 100%. This has been at the top of my wishlist forever and am enjoying the heck out of it. Could use your help on a couple things it needs that I can't track down:

The post behind the Gimli Vuk is missing, not sure what part # is correct. I've seen pictures of a couple different set ups. Pictured below is what I think is correct - can anyone confirm and do you know the part #?

Also looking for the plastic behind that post; -51 anyone know where I can find a replacement?

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_20210315-221316 (resized).pngScreenshot_20210315-221316 (resized).png
#6892 2 years ago
Quoted from steak:

Just picked up a LotR a week or so ago and have been working through it to get it back to 100%. This has been at the top of my wishlist forever and am enjoying the heck out of it. Could use your help on a couple things it needs that I can't track down:
The post behind the Gimli Vuk is missing, not sure what part # is correct. I've seen pictures of a couple different set ups. Pictured below is what I think is correct - can anyone confirm and do you know the part #?
Also looking for the plastic behind that post; -51 anyone know where I can find a replacement?
Thanks in advance!
[quoted image]

Mine looks the same, but it is also a very early dec03 setup with surfing Gandalf. They may have changed it later when they went to Shadowfax.

Screenshot_20210316-095355_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210316-095355_Gallery (resized).jpg
#6893 2 years ago

Thanks for the tip. But one of the missing plastics in the kit are broken on my machine so I am looking for a complete set.

#6894 2 years ago

I need help . I lifted the playfield on my lotr le and took the wires off the playfield interlock switch . I have 4 spots on the switch. I have 4 wires
It's hard to tell if all 4 where attached. Can someone look on their machine and see what color wire is attached where . I have a red/white ziptied to a purple/black . I also have a purple/black attached to a light purple/ grey . I have the printed manual but I don't see the right drawing showing how they attach . Thank you

16159377194362876024784305289846 (resized).jpg16159377194362876024784305289846 (resized).jpg16159377646519220098046586922252 (resized).jpg16159377646519220098046586922252 (resized).jpg
#6895 2 years ago

Well, apparently the wire colors are totally different on the standard vs. LE. Here are some pics I took of mine.

20210316_195409 (resized).jpg20210316_195409 (resized).jpg20210316_195412 (resized).jpg20210316_195412 (resized).jpg20210316_195451 (resized).jpg20210316_195451 (resized).jpg
#6896 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Well, apparently the wire colors are totally different on the standard vs. LE. Here are some pics I took of mine.

My standard wires are the same as your standard

#6897 2 years ago

Found this in my cab. Same texture as Gandalf area but I don't see anything missing. Any guesses as to location?

20210316_213521 (resized).jpg20210316_213521 (resized).jpg
#6898 2 years ago
Quoted from oopsallberrys:

Looks like I ordered both "Lord of the Rings - Figure Mounting Set V2 (LOTRFEETS2)" and "Lord of the Rings Plastic Protectors (LOTRPG)" back in 2013 according to my emails and I don't remember putting them on (at least not the figure mounting set). I'll look through my bin of stuff to see if I still have them. I would not be interested in selling but if someone could reproduce them for others then I could lend them out.

I would love a set of the plastics to get rid of the black tie straps if someone would make them. Who made them originally?

#6899 2 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

I would love a set of the plastics to get rid of the black tie straps if someone would make them. Who made them originally?

I am working with oopsallberrys to get the patterns so I can make a run. Will keep you updated. Pinbits carried them originally, they never replied to my email regarding making more.

#6900 2 years ago

I see my LOTR has screws in the cabinet siderails. Does it also have double sided tape or just the screws?

Thanks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 12.95
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
€ 7.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals
Flipper parts
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 10,030 posts in this topic. You are on page 138 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/138 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.