IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 136 of 204.
#6751 3 years ago

Another gremlin creeped up in my LOTR

Has anyone encountered slingers firing randomly, even when the ball is not touching them at all ? This has been happening lately, and I kind of wonder what would cause that.

It's not a big deal since in any case the slinger do work when the ball hit them, but I'd like to get to the bottom of it in case there is an underlying issue.

Regards

#6752 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Another gremlin creeped up in my LOTR
Has anyone encountered slingers firing randomly, even when the ball is not touching them at all ? This has been happening lately, and I kind of wonder what would cause that.
It's not a big deal since in any case the slinger do work when the ball hit them, but I'd like to get to the bottom of it in case there is an underlying issue.
Regards

Maybe the leaf switches are too close and vibration is causing it but you would normally get multiple sling movement when a ball hits the sling.
Also check the connections/cables below.

#6753 3 years ago

I just sold a CC play field and have these guys if anyone is interested?

3D2711B0-12D3-428B-BF01-B6C89C1C8905 (resized).jpeg3D2711B0-12D3-428B-BF01-B6C89C1C8905 (resized).jpeg58D8520A-F8E3-49B9-8EF2-4E856D9E0462 (resized).jpeg58D8520A-F8E3-49B9-8EF2-4E856D9E0462 (resized).jpegAB9FE1EE-71E6-4E29-88D7-800F4069DFEC (resized).jpegAB9FE1EE-71E6-4E29-88D7-800F4069DFEC (resized).jpegF7146065-F6FC-42DE-AF07-0723E1E0B6AB (resized).jpegF7146065-F6FC-42DE-AF07-0723E1E0B6AB (resized).jpeg
#6754 3 years ago

Superpops1 asking $750. It’s a later run NOS playfield. Made by Churchill cabinet company. PM me if interested.

18A8FEAB-2318-480F-8D0A-592EAB96FEFE (resized).jpeg18A8FEAB-2318-480F-8D0A-592EAB96FEFE (resized).jpeg23F1BC68-585A-4E1C-BD55-122C2498BF2D (resized).jpeg23F1BC68-585A-4E1C-BD55-122C2498BF2D (resized).jpeg52F87B89-0ABC-4029-867A-FEC38E1B2946 (resized).jpeg52F87B89-0ABC-4029-867A-FEC38E1B2946 (resized).jpegDF045F00-4697-471A-8454-5A3124969BA4 (resized).jpegDF045F00-4697-471A-8454-5A3124969BA4 (resized).jpeg
#6755 3 years ago

Sigh, looks like I have more than one gremlin...

I realized that not only my slingshots were triggering when it should not be, but so was my auto-launch.

And what's even more funny: I also noticed that hitting the Balrog does trigger the auto launch coil...

I recall a few months ago that I had experienced various glitches, one of them being a Balrog hit triggering Tilt. Another one being the whole system doing a reset during play. It had not appeared for a few months.

I'll perform a full ground connection check, although what puzzles me the most is that the design of the control system should not trigger under any circumstance unless the command transistor is active, which means that there is a command being sent.

I would welcome guidance here, scratching my head.

#6756 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Sigh, looks like I have more than one gremlin...
I realized that not only my slingshots were triggering when it should not be, but so was my auto-launch.
And what's even more funny: I also noticed that hitting the Balrog does trigger the auto launch coil...
I recall a few months ago that I had experienced various glitches, one of them being a Balrog hit triggering Tilt. Another one being the whole system doing a reset during play. It had not appeared for a few months.
I'll perform a full ground connection check, although what puzzles me the most is that the design of the control system should not trigger under any circumstance unless the command transistor is active, which means that there is a command being sent.
I would welcome guidance here, scratching my head.

Normally, I would say this sounds like a switch matrix problem. For instance, a switch which also triggers the shooter lane switch would cause the auto launch solenoid to fire. However, looking at the matrix I don't see any correlation between the Balrog hit, shooter lane, left and right slingshot, etc. Do you possible have battery acid damage on the CPU? Take some very close-up pictures of the area just below the batteries. You also could try reseating all the ribbon cables that run between the CPU and the Power Driver Board.

lotr switch matrix (resized).JPGlotr switch matrix (resized).JPG
#6757 3 years ago

I've been running a few tests:
- It's not a battery leak, because the battery holder is actually not on the CPU board anymore
- I checked all wires, reseated everything, nothing obvious

Now to the interesting part: I noticed that the auto launcher was triggering mostly during the Ballrog sequence, but OUTSIDE of the Fellowship multiball.

In other words, in the sequence where the Ballrog is blocking the ring ramp entrance and you have to hit it 3 or 4 times, that's when every single hit to the Ballrog will trigger the auto launch coil to kick off

If the Ballrog is hit during the "fellowship" multiball it does not trigger the auto launch coil.

This leads me to believe this is actually a real signal driven by the CPU board.

As it turns out, as raised by a friend, I had swapped the LOTR ROM to 10.02 and the newest PAL to support a shaker a few months ago. It could be that I had never noticed it before, because I was playing mostly Tron at that time.

I'll do a swap to the older ROM / PAL, but a few questions first:
- Can a damaged PAL cause this type of problem (messed up internal logic) ? What does the PAL control anyway ?
- Can I use the old PAL with the new CPU code, or do i have to swap both at the same time ? This is to rule out CPU vs PAL, just in case
- anyone with a LOTR LE or an LOTR with the shaker installed confirm/infirm whether they have a similar behaviour ?

Regards

#6758 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

- Can I use the old PAL with the new CPU code, or do i have to swap both at the same time ? This is to rule out CPU vs PAL, just in case

Regards

I bought a new PAL and 10.02 CPU to update code and install a shaker. I put the new 10.02 chip in. I did NOT put the PAL chip in yet so I don't see why you can't swap the old one.

#6759 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

It's not a battery leak, because the battery holder is actually not on the CPU board anymore

You still need to take a close look for stains and damage. Battery acid can continue to soak in and cause damage after the batteries are gone.

#6760 3 years ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

I bought a new PAL and 10.02 CPU to update code and install a shaker. I put the new 10.02 chip in. I did NOT put the PAL chip in yet so I don't see why you can't swap the old one.

It is chip U213 just to the left of the CPU ROM, notch side goes downward!!

#6761 3 years ago

Does anyone have a good guide for installing an nvram on LOTR?

#6762 3 years ago

Took the opportunity of my issues investigation to install the great 2Niro mods:

An interactive palantir with an animated floating eye in the crystal ball. Note that this is not a static image, it's actually the Sauron eye animation from the movie

A floating eye behind Barad Dur tower

Highly recommended

16129839170163011353879442215778 (resized).jpg16129839170163011353879442215778 (resized).jpg16129839410107809821224246132368 (resized).jpg16129839410107809821224246132368 (resized).jpg
#6763 3 years ago

I just received my 3D lenticular apron cards from @YouBentMyWookie.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1289-youbentmywookie

They look great in person.

Here is a short video:

IMG_8935 (resized).jpegIMG_8935 (resized).jpegIMG_8936 (resized).jpegIMG_8936 (resized).jpegIMG_8937 (resized).jpegIMG_8937 (resized).jpegIMG_8938 (resized).jpegIMG_8938 (resized).jpeg

#6764 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

I've got random things firing on my machine and I'm not sure where to start with it. When I shoot up the right ramp it triggers a soul reward from path of the dead,

Any luck fixing this problem?
My middle lock switch is registering as one of the paths of the dead switches only during game play, not during switch testing. Was working like a dream yesterday, almost destroyed the ring last night. Today after light waxing (nothing unscrewed) I'm getting this weird mixup.
(I'm certainly amateur at wiring so any details helps!)

#6765 3 years ago
Quoted from PoogiePrincess:

My middle lock switch is registering as one of the paths of the dead switches only during game play, not during switch testing. Was working like a dream yesterday, almost destroyed the ring last night. Today after light waxing (nothing unscrewed) I'm getting this weird mixup.

Is it "mini playfield upper right"? That's in the same row as "sword lock mid".

#6766 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Is it "mini playfield upper right"? That's in the same row as "sword lock mid".

That's what I'm assuming is happening. But I don't know because in the switch diagnostics menu they trigger individually like normal. How would I test or solve that problem if it is that same row problem?

#6767 3 years ago

I just tried to tighten up some connections. No idea what actually cleared the problem up.

#6768 3 years ago

That's what I'm assuming is happening. But I don't know because in the switch diagnostics menu they trigger individually like normal. How would I test or solve that problem if it is that same row problem?

It is probably related to another switch activated in combination. (that's why switch matrix diode problems present themselves in multiball)

Try putting 1 ball in the sword lock and see if they act flaky then, etc.

#6769 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

I just tried to tighten up some connections. No idea what actually cleared the problem up.

Thanks!

Quoted from Neal_W:

It is probably related to another switch activated in combination. (that's why switch matrix diode problems present themselves in multiball)
Try putting 1 ball in the sword lock and see if they act flaky then, etc.

Great idea! I was reading a little more and think the Orthank vuk might be misfiring and then since the ball lock is on the same line it's starting Paths of the Dead.

I'll update if thats the fix!

#6770 3 years ago
#6771 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Does anyone have a good guide for installing an nvram on LOTR?

Nvram is very easy, its just a chip swap and no solder work involved.

#6772 3 years ago
Quoted from Superpops1:

Nvram is very easy, its just a chip swap and no solder work involved.

So any whitestar video on YouTube should be fine then

#6773 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

So any whitestar video on YouTube should be fine then

Just make sure you get the right nvram. Take one chip out and replace it with the nvram chip. Its very straight forward just be careful to put in the correct way, chip has a notch on one side, nvram has notch screen printed on the little pcb.

CC682ABF-A8DC-4B7C-B804-D694033EC056 (resized).jpegCC682ABF-A8DC-4B7C-B804-D694033EC056 (resized).jpeg
#6774 3 years ago

Thanks for the info

#6775 3 years ago

i sell the 10.02 cpu , 10.0 display , u213 regular and u213 gold as well as nvram for this game.

#6776 3 years ago

I did the backbox led conversion on my IJ4. Its the same fluorescent as LotR. I love how it looks on IJ4 but not sure If i want that same uniform light in LotR

E62747A8-61A4-4D78-89C3-0814E0C1D661 (resized).jpegE62747A8-61A4-4D78-89C3-0814E0C1D661 (resized).jpeg
#6777 3 years ago
Quoted from Superpops1:

I did the backbox led conversion on my IJ4. Its the same fluorescent as LotR. I love how it looks on IJ4 but not sure If i want that same uniform light in LotR
[quoted image]

I put in a Coin Taker LED panel. Looks great. Eye is color changing.

#6778 3 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I put in a Coin Taker LED panel. Looks great. Eye is color changing.

I used the arcade upkeep one. It dims when the game starts to reduce glare. Its kinda cool.

http://www.arcadeupkeep.com/shop/4594679907/dimming-backbox-panel/11365967

#6779 3 years ago

Added a couple of spotlights, looking good

20210214_195040 (resized).jpg20210214_195040 (resized).jpg
#6780 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Normally, I would say this sounds like a switch matrix problem. For instance, a switch which also triggers the shooter lane switch would cause the auto launch solenoid to fire. However, looking at the matrix I don't see any correlation between the Balrog hit, shooter lane, left and right slingshot, etc. Do you possible have battery acid damage on the CPU? Take some very close-up pictures of the area just below the batteries. You also could try reseating all the ribbon cables that run between the CPU and the Power Driver Board.[quoted image]

I investigated further.

You are right, triggering the balrog switch in test mode actually triggers the shooter lane switch. Which in non test mode triggers the autolaunch coil.
In "Fellowship" multiball, this coil does not activate, but I have yet to check in this mode if it would trigger anyway if the shooter lane switch was activated.

Tests to run:
- Check if Balrog switch triggers coils when Balrog is in closed position (ie not blocking entrance to the ramp)
- Start Fellowship multiball, put ball in shooter lane to see if it triggers autolaunch coil

That said the fact that the switch matrix does trigger the shooter lane switch when the Balrog switch is hit is an indication in itself

With regards to battery leaks, the previous owner had "moved" the battery to the side of the backglass with long wires, soldered these wires on the CPU board and put a load of what looks like putty paste (hard as a rock now). I don't see any obvious damage, even at close up.

#6781 3 years ago

Feeling a bit stupid with this one but whatever, how the hell do you get the spinner on? The arm fell off my last one and I'm trying to replace

#6782 3 years ago

I just replaced mine and it was kind of tricky. I can't remember exactly what worked but you have to slide one side in farther than it would operate until it is close and then force it the final millimeter or so. Keep playing with it.

I had the same initial thought as the ramp is one solid piece.

#6783 3 years ago

So anyone would have any guidance on why my Balrog switch would trigger the shooter lane switch?

I also still have the slings triggering when they should not be, so I'm definitely thinking the switch matrix is causing problem, but how do I debug this?

#6784 3 years ago

I would go to the switch level menu and check all the switches and note what is triggering multiple switches. Based on those results you can then follow this guide:

https://homepinballrepair.com/pinball-switch-lamp-matrix-troubleshooting/

#6785 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

So anyone would have any guidance on why my Balrog switch would trigger the shooter lane switch?

I also still have the slings triggering when they should not be, so I'm definitely thinking the switch matrix is causing problem, but how do I debug this?

The wires for the switch inside balrog can get frayed and broken. Maybe they are shorting to ground or another wire and causing issues.

#6786 3 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

I would go to the switch level menu and check all the switches and note what is triggering multiple switches. Based on those results you can then follow this guide:
https://homepinballrepair.com/pinball-switch-lamp-matrix-troubleshooting/

This is a very good source of information, thank you for the link. Time to go chase this faulty diode (which seems to be the case in my symptoms).

And it turns out that this very well explains my experience: when in multiball, the trough is empty, so the normally closed switches are now open...

#6787 3 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

I just replaced mine and it was kind of tricky. I can't remember exactly what worked but you have to slide one side in farther than it would operate until it is close and then force it the final millimeter or so. Keep playing with it.
I had the same initial thought as the ramp is one solid piece.

This thing is driving me nuts, I can't get it in and I'm scared to force it too hard.

#6788 3 years ago

Give me a little while but I can take off my glass and see if I can take a picture of the install.

#6789 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

This thing is driving me nuts, I can't get it in and I'm scared to force it too hard.

Before I do that, are you sure you have the right one? This is what I ordered.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-7088-01

#6790 3 years ago

Actually harder to get off than on but here is what I did.

Insert your left side so it is sitting on top of the limit switch and the right side is positioned higher on the ramp. Like this:

0218211018_HDR (resized).jpg0218211018_HDR (resized).jpg

Then drag the right end down the ramp surface until you get to the hole and it pops in. I was also pulling the side of the ramp away from the spinner but it doesn't deflect much so this might not help at all. There will be some resistance but mine survived.

0218211019a_HDR (resized).jpg0218211019a_HDR (resized).jpg

Another view:

0218211019_HDR (resized).jpg0218211019_HDR (resized).jpg

#6791 3 years ago

I bought one of these modded Balrog toppers with the lights second hand. Anyone have one and what light did you tie it into under the playfield?

Thanks

IMG_7642 (resized).JPGIMG_7642 (resized).JPG
#6792 3 years ago

Thanks @killerrobots, I'm pretty sure I found the answer with your guide:

During switch test mode, I can see that if "Ball Trough 2", "Balrog Closed" and "Balrog Hit" switches are closed, this triggers the shooter lane switch detection. And they form a rectangle.

This is exactly the symptom of a shorted diode as outlined in your guide on one of these 4 diodes, so now it's a matter of testing them.

#6793 3 years ago

That sounds right to me. I have also had the diode solder come loose so wiggle them and make sure they are attached well.

#6794 3 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

I bought one of these modded Balrog toppers with the lights second hand. Anyone have one and what light did you tie it into under the playfield?
Thanks
[quoted image]

Is it just me or does the Balrog look like Spike from Gremlins?

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
#6795 3 years ago

I’m having left flipper issues. The fuse will blow on first attempt to use it. I’ve traced the wire and can’t find any shorts. I’ve tested the transistor by grounding it with a wire and that acts the same as using the flipper button, blows the fuse. (I feel like a bad transistor wouldn’t blow a fuse, but I’m new at this.) The diode on the flipper coil looks normal. What should my readings be on the flipper coil? I’m getting 3.7 ohms on the right flipper coil, 1.6 on the left flipper coil, and I have a spare coil that reads 4.3. Is this my problem? These measurements are jibberish to me. Any info would be helpful, thanks.

#6796 3 years ago

Yeah if you're taking your measurements right it looks like your coil is shorted. Ohms should be the same for two like coils.

#6797 3 years ago
Quoted from TheShaft:

I’m having left flipper issues. The fuse will blow on first attempt to use it. I’ve traced the wire and can’t find any shorts. I’ve tested the transistor by grounding it with a wire and that acts the same as using the flipper button, blows the fuse. (I feel like a bad transistor wouldn’t blow a fuse, but I’m new at this.) The diode on the flipper coil looks normal. What should my readings be on the flipper coil? I’m getting 3.7 ohms on the right flipper coil, 1.6 on the left flipper coil, and I have a spare coil that reads 4.3. Is this my problem? These measurements are jibberish to me. Any info would be helpful, thanks.

I looked up the spec on that coil, should be around 3.4 ohms. 1.6 is very low. The coil has probably overheated at some point and melted some of the internal insulation. Too low ohms will cause a fuse to blow for sure. There's is just a 3amp fuse on the flipper circuits.

#6798 3 years ago

One part of my LOTR has bothered me since I've got the game a year ago: someone did a really ugly "fix" to the area around the flipperbuttons. This looks much better I think

20210218_194915 (resized).jpg20210218_194915 (resized).jpg20210218_204059 (resized).jpg20210218_204059 (resized).jpg
#6799 3 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

One part of my LOTR has bothered me since I've got the game a year ago: someone did a really ugly "fix" to the area around the flipperbuttons. This looks much better I think [quoted image][quoted image]

That looks super good! Mine was super worn, routed game, so I made these super cheap. Want to get some like yours in the future!

42244DE7-B221-4E85-9569-D18B5927CCB3 (resized).jpeg42244DE7-B221-4E85-9569-D18B5927CCB3 (resized).jpeg
#6800 3 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

One part of my LOTR has bothered me since I've got the game a year ago: someone did a really ugly "fix" to the area around the flipperbuttons. This looks much better I think [quoted image][quoted image]

Shame that these games were originally shipped without protection in those areas, but it's great that people have come up with cool ways to hide the wear.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 39.50
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 136 of 204.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/136?hl=chalkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.