lord1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0841 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0840 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2852 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240315-080536 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,138 posts in this topic. You are on page 135 of 203.
#6701 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Anyone would have tips to adjust the Balrog switch ? Mine registers about half of the hits, even less sometime
Thanks

I had the same problem, but the switch was working properly. Problem was the cable moving with the Balrog. Quite common I think. If you disassemble double check the wires and exchange them when necessary.

#6702 3 years ago
Quoted from TrekTobbyGermany:

Problem was the cable moving with the Balrog.

Yup, balrog wire also causes the issue, when you start a game, a mode immediately starts with the ball in the shooter.

#6703 3 years ago

Replaced my flipper coils this morning with the Med power coils from abs enterprises. Since I was there... ran all the linkages thru the ultrasonic cleaner. So far I am happy with the results, its a noticeable difference. I thought mine were fine but this is a noticeable improvement.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1065-apb-enterprises/01414-new-stern-pinball-medium-power-coil-lord-of-the-rings-gnr

If anyone would like my old coils free of charge - just pay the shipping. Also have old speakers back box and sub in good condition free if you pay shipping just send me a PM.

B024AFD3-BD93-4B7B-8FC1-4285FA8DDF9A (resized).jpegB024AFD3-BD93-4B7B-8FC1-4285FA8DDF9A (resized).jpeg
#6704 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

So I finally got my wiring issues sorted, and moved on to installing pinstadiums. After I plugged in the flasher I went to start a game and it won't fire up. I don't think the two are related, but where should I be looking to troubleshoot the start button.
Edit: Further info the following switches are registering at all times:
Balrot hit
Balrog closed

Anyone have some thoughts on this?

#6705 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Anyone have some thoughts on this?

Are you saying everything was working perfectly before installing the pinstadiums? If so, I would disconnect them entirely and see what you get. You cannot specifically test the start switch or flipper switches in the switch test since they are used in the menus. You could test the start switch with a meter. Or just see if you get a response when using the start button within another test, like solenoid test.

#6706 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Are you saying everything was working perfectly before installing the pinstadiums? If so, I would disconnect them entirely and see what you get. You cannot specifically test the start switch or flipper switches in the switch test since they are used in the menus. You could test the start switch with a meter. Or just see if you get a response when using the start button within another test, like solenoid test.

Everything was good prior to tapping Balrog for the Pinstadium. I've disconnected them and still no luck. I'm ordering a meter today and we'll see what that shows. Where should I measure the start switch?

#6707 3 years ago

I'm curious where others connect the pinstadium flasher? I'm currently connected to the destroy the ring light but it only has a few places where it flashes.

#6708 3 years ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

I'm curious where others connect the pinstadium flasher? I'm currently connected to the destroy the ring light but it only has a few places where it flashes.

I'd love to know to because Balrog was a bitch

#6709 3 years ago

Got my game back up. We soldered the connection to the start button again, it worked fine, then died again. Put some cleaner on one of the connectors running from the button to the back box and its worked fine since.

About to buy a shaker motor kit, is there a consensus on which is best? Looking at pinball life currently.

#6710 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Got my game back up. We soldered the connection to the start button again, it worked fine, then died again. Put some cleaner on one of the connectors running from the button to the back box and its worked fine since.
About to buy a shaker motor kit, is there a consensus on which is best? Looking at pinball life currently.

I used the DIY thread on pinside and ordered all the correct parts and installed mine. Unfortunately I can hardly feel it at all. In fact I could turn my Polk powered sub up and get more shaking. Maybe I'm just used to the way that shakers feel from my Spike/Spike2 games that they were actually designed for but I am highly unsatisfied. So much so that I'm entertaining purchasing the pinsound shaker add on since I already have a pinsound board in my LOTR. I have no idea if there is something wrong with the parts or the install or if it's just designed to be a very slight shake.

By the by, if you don't currently have a pinsound board running run one of the amazing alternate sound tracks, that by far is the best mod for the game IMO.

#6711 3 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I used the DIY thread on pinside and ordered all the correct parts and installed mine. Unfortunately I can hardly feel it at all. In fact I could turn my Polk powered sub up and get more shaking. Maybe I'm just used to the way that shakers feel from my Spike/Spike2 games that they were actually designed for but I am highly unsatisfied. So much so that I'm entertaining purchasing the pinsound shaker add on since I already have a pinsound board in my LOTR. I have no idea if there is something wrong with the parts or the install or if it's just designed to be a very slight shake.
By the by, if you don't currently have a pinsound board running run one of the amazing alternate sound tracks, that by far is the best mod for the game IMO.

I'm not running one, is it difficult to set up?

#6712 3 years ago

Finally beat the long standing 30 second Ring Champion (from my now 13 year old kid). That was about as fast as I think I'll ever do it.

RING CHAMP (resized).jpgRING CHAMP (resized).jpg
#6713 3 years ago

Hey all.

Just rejoined the club for the second time! Finally got her back! lol.
My last LOTR I was able to buy a pinbits LOTR figure mounting plastic protector set. Pinbits is out of stock (and I have heard not even in business anymore). Is there anybody else making these sets? Does anyone know where I might find a new set? Perhaps someone has an extra set?

Thanks for any help!

Kyle

#6714 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

I'm not running one, is it difficult to set up?

No, not that bad. Semi normal shaker set up plus a few chip swaps.

#6715 3 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

No, not that bad. Semi normal shaker set up plus a few chip swaps.

Sorry meant the pinsound board

#6716 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Sorry meant the pinsound board

Definitely not complex. Literally just plugging in the board and loading the roms on. Very simple to both install and swap between custom soundtracks.

#6717 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Finally beat the long standing 30 second Ring Champion (from my now 13 year old kid). That was about as fast as I think I'll ever do it.
[quoted image]

Awesome! Now you can get back to making more tower and vulcano mods when the materials come in.

My kids don't want to play my pins, so I have all the high scores.

#6718 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

I have the PL shaker. It is perfect in LOTR.

#6719 3 years ago

So this new LOTR I picked up has a very loud buzzing coming from the flippers (whenever the button is pressed). I know the previous owner upgraded the coils (and he gave me extra), just curious as to what do I do to solve the buzzing issue?

Thanks
Kyle

#6720 3 years ago

I think this is a common problem on Sterns of that era. I had the same issue in my TSPP and I resolved it by rebuilding them. I think it has to do with the coil stop being worn. Search the threads for "Flipper Buzz" and there is a bunch of stuff.

#6721 3 years ago
Quoted from SKORR_Arcades:

Awesome! Now you can get back to making more tower and vulcano mods when the materials come in.
My kids don't want to play my pins, so I have all the high scores.

Lol, yeah, I better get busy! I'm completely out of everything. It's nice to use my extra time to actually play again!

#6722 3 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

So this new LOTR I picked up has a very loud buzzing coming from the flippers (whenever the button is pressed). I know the previous owner upgraded the coils (and he gave me extra), just curious as to what do I do to solve the buzzing issue?
Thanks
Kyle

killerrobots nailed it. No need for a full rebuild, new coil stops will get them quieter... but even with freshies in they're still fairly loud on (or at least that's been my experience).

#6723 3 years ago

After suddenly becoming an ace at pinball over the last 3 months, my 6 year old son put up 650 million on Deadpool, so I challenged him to repeat his success on LOTR.

After a month of play, and getting to Destroy the Ring 3 times, he finally destroyed the ring today. Here's his score right after he lost his last ball. I'm guessing this is not normal for a kid his age. He downright scares me, to be honest.

PXL_20210130_201032135 (resized).jpgPXL_20210130_201032135 (resized).jpg
#6724 3 years ago

@mrgregb123
That's great! Looks like he completed a mode to get a gift from the elves on top of the one for destroying the ring. That's about my highest score so far.

#6725 3 years ago

Hey everyone, I bought a Hobbit topper from Elite Pinball Toppers even thought I don't own a Hobbit yet I do plan to buy a Hobbit one day. When I first saw the topper in early November I had to have it. I received the topper earlier this month and having it just sit in the wood shipping box was killing me and since my LOTR didn't have a topper I figured I would use it there.

I put the topper on my LOTR with a Raspberry Pi playing the LOTR film trailers on a loop along with a Stern animation. I think it came out pretty cool.

Here's a little video of it:

I think it matches the game pretty well. Thanks for looking.

#6726 3 years ago

Clear coated playfield just listed in the market place.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/109484

#6727 3 years ago

$2 mod

9A36EFE4-83D0-497D-B22C-E18AD9148322 (resized).jpeg9A36EFE4-83D0-497D-B22C-E18AD9148322 (resized).jpeg
#6728 3 years ago

Does anyone know if a vault edition is in the works? I went to a local pinball shop and they mentioned that there was a discrete box in one of Jack Danger's videos that could possibly be a LOTR.

#6729 3 years ago

Hi all, I found an extra ground wire in the head behind the DMD. Can anyone get a pick of where all the grounds should go back there? Or is one supposed to be not used?

CB1BD95E-9B1C-4B27-BD31-03C67A3BA78A (resized).jpegCB1BD95E-9B1C-4B27-BD31-03C67A3BA78A (resized).jpeg
#6730 3 years ago

Does anyone know if a vault edition is in the works? I went to a local pinball shop and they mentioned that there was a discrete box in one of Jack Danger's videos that could possibly be a LOTR.</blockquo

This question comes up quite often as I am sure you know. Take this with a grain of salt as I am no expert in licensing, though I do own my own IP and have worked in Hollywood for over 2 decades...I have circles and I hear things.

IF...LotR was to be Vaulted....it would most assuredly be themed differently. It would have to be either a "art edition" with custom artwork and no likenesses borrowed from the original actors...anything else at this point...is virtually impossible.

OR it could possibly take the theme of the upcoming HBO series which is going to be the worst thing to happen to Middle Earth ever. The upcoming series is not the tale of LOTR...but will be a standalone story with Middle Earth as a set piece.

#6731 3 years ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

Does anyone know if a vault edition is in the works? I went to a local pinball shop and they mentioned that there was a discrete box in one of Jack Danger's videos that could possibly be a LOTR.

This question comes up quite often as I am sure you know. Take this with a grain of salt as I am no expert in licensing, though I do own my own IP and have worked in Hollywood for over 2 decades...I have circles and I hear things.

IF...LotR was to be Vaulted....it would most assuredly be themed differently. It would have to be either a "comic style" edition with custom artwork and with no characters resembling the original cast and with no callouts from the original actors....OR....

It can take the shape of the new upcoming HBO series that is to be a standalone story set in Middle Earth. Whispers of this series hint that it is going to be woke garbage and more of an adult nature like Game of Thrones. It should be interesting...to watch Middle Earth follow the ways of Star Trek, Star Wars and Dr Who.

#6732 3 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

It can take the shape of the new upcoming HBO series that is to be a standalone story set in Middle Earth. Whispers of this series hint that it is going to be woke garbage and more of an adult nature like Game of Thrones. It should be interesting...to watch Middle Earth follow the ways of Star Trek, Star Wars and Dr Who.

Err you mean the Amazon Middle Earth series that they are sinking a billion dollars into (250M for the rights alone)? HBO will have the GOT spin offs, and the Snyder Cut, and simultaneously release all the Warner distribution movies, and, and, and...

#6733 3 years ago

Good morning,

I've been having all of sudden failing left flipper on my LOTR, so I took a look and investigated further. Turns out the fuse was blown, but... I changed it and since then it has blown twice.

Before I blow any more fuse, I did further testing

- I checked the flyback diode, it was OK
- I used my current probe to check on amp during test, as it turns out:
- I have a current peak slightly above 4A on the left flipper
- I do not have this current peak on the right flipper

Kind of explain why my fuse kept blowing.

Now that does not explain why I have a higher current peak, is this typical of a transistor starting to go bad ?

On the questions now:
- I have the high power coils, would that explain the higher current peak ? If so, why only on the left flipper ?
- I looked at the schematics, could not find the reference to the flipper transistors, could someone give me a pointer ?
- Should I simply replace my 3A fuse with a 4A ? I assume it's not recommended...

Thanks

#6734 3 years ago

Another question, in addition to my ground wire question above:

My DMD has been freezing. I looked at old posts and they said replace the ribbon cable (after simply trying to reseat it). Which cable do I replace, the 14 pin? Or the larger one?

#6735 3 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Hi all, I found an extra ground wire in the head behind the DMD. Can anyone get a pick of where all the grounds should go back there? Or is one supposed to be not used?
[quoted image]

Did you check to see if you have a ground wire going to the speakers and the DMD? Looks like the loop on the end of that wire was broken off and it could have gone to one of those locations.

#6736 3 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Did you check to see if you have a ground wire going to the speakers and the DMD? Looks like the loop on the end of that wire was broken off and it could have gone to one of those locations.

I can tell it’s from the left side, it’s bundled with it. Do I just repeat what I see on the right side? Oh, the loop isn’t broken off, it was just folded back.1250FFBF-43FC-4610-93DD-12C69942BF76 (resized).jpeg1250FFBF-43FC-4610-93DD-12C69942BF76 (resized).jpeg43CDD6B1-F363-40BC-B524-851313DE45B9 (resized).jpeg43CDD6B1-F363-40BC-B524-851313DE45B9 (resized).jpeg43CDD6B1-F363-40BC-B524-851313DE45B9 (resized).jpeg43CDD6B1-F363-40BC-B524-851313DE45B9 (resized).jpeg

0E6AA1EF-A4B9-4FB4-9B87-2CC2C092CAF4 (resized).jpeg0E6AA1EF-A4B9-4FB4-9B87-2CC2C092CAF4 (resized).jpeg
#6737 3 years ago

On my LOTR, I have two ground loops connected on my DMD, one on the left side (DMD only), one on the right side (display board).

#6738 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

On my LOTR, I have two ground loops connected on my DMD, one on the left side (DMD only), one on the right side (display board).

Interesting - can you snap a pic of the one on the display board?

#6739 3 years ago

I have been thinking about getting a Pinsound upgrade on one of my machines to try it out. I wasn't sure it would be worth it for me. I am not really an audiophile who needs top notch sound quality. However heard good things so I decided to go with my LotR because it is probably my most played game, plus some of the callouts get old and I was thinking about removing them ("500 more...250 more".

So I got the board and new 2.1 speakers and installed them yesterday and wow, it really makes a difference. I downloaded a user made sound package (LOTR_Sjoend) and it makes the whole experience so much more immersive. It was pretty straight forward to install. Took me a little while to understand how to install new sounds but there is really good instructions on line.

If anyone is considering one I would highly recommend.

#6740 3 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

I have been thinking about getting a Pinsound upgrade on one of my machines to try it out. I wasn't sure it would be worth it for me. I am not really an audiophile who needs top notch sound quality. However heard good things so I decided to go with my LotR because it is probably my most played game, plus some of the callouts get old and I was thinking about removing them ("500 more...250 more".
So I got the board and new 2.1 speakers and installed them yesterday and wow, it really makes a difference. I downloaded a user made sound package (LOTR_Sjoend) and it makes the whole experience so much more immersive. It was pretty straight forward to install. Took me a little while to understand how to install new sounds but there is really good instructions on line.

Best mod I did to my LOTR plus I added their shaker and made my own LOTR sound pack. It's awesome

#6741 3 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

I can tell it’s from the left side, it’s bundled with it. Do I just repeat what I see on the right side? Oh, the loop isn’t broken off, it was just folded back.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

I would put it on the other speaker, I know another poster said they have two on their dmd but you only need one there as the display board when mounted to the dmd shell will be grounded with the screw posts that mount it anyway.

#6742 3 years ago

Glad you took the leap. Feel free to load multiple tracks on your drive, you can easily switch between them to try the different ones out. I highly recommend you check out the Wool and Hawkhole mixes available.

Easily the best mod for the best game in my lineup.

#6743 3 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Glad you took the leap. Feel free to load multiple tracks on your drive, you can easily switch between them to try the different ones out. I highly recommend you check out the Wool and Hawkhole mixes available.
Easily the best mod for the best game in my lineup.

I tried the Wool one and the sound balance was off (music too quiet). The one I have is an updated Wool one for the new card (I think?). Anyway it sounds great.

It is funny but one of the biggest benefits is that the Path of the Dead has multiple call-outs now and it makes it refreshing to go up there. I was getting pretty sick of hearing the same sounds over and over again.

#6744 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Good morning,
I've been having all of sudden failing left flipper on my LOTR, so I took a look and investigated further. Turns out the fuse was blown, but... I changed it and since then it has blown twice.
Before I blow any more fuse, I did further testing
- I checked the flyback diode, it was OK
- I used my current probe to check on amp during test, as it turns out:
- I have a current peak slightly above 4A on the left flipper
- I do not have this current peak on the right flipper
Kind of explain why my fuse kept blowing.
Now that does not explain why I have a higher current peak, is this typical of a transistor starting to go bad ?
On the questions now:
- I have the high power coils, would that explain the higher current peak ? If so, why only on the left flipper ?
- I looked at the schematics, could not find the reference to the flipper transistors, could someone give me a pointer ?
- Should I simply replace my 3A fuse with a 4A ? I assume it's not recommended...
Thanks

Left flipper is Q15, right flipper is Q16. The original transistors are STP20N10L. Most people replace with a better transistor IRL540. Great Plains has them for a good price.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=IRL540N

#6745 3 years ago

I tried the Wool one and the sound balance was off (music too quiet). The one I have is an updated Wool one for the new card (I think?). Anyway it sounds great.
It is funny but one of the biggest benefits is that the Path of the Dead has multiple call-outs now and it makes it refreshing to go up there. I was getting pretty sick of hearing the same sounds over and over again.

The Hawkhole took the Wool as a start, fixed the audio balance and added some differentsound/music. It's currently the one I'm using now. I didn't notice the newest one on the site, I might check that out.

#6746 3 years ago

I will try out Hawkhole.

#6747 3 years ago

I have a NOS LOTR playfield if anyone is in need of one. PM me.

#6748 3 years ago

Just picked up, there is 1 more available. Potd mod here we go. Does anyone have suggestions on how to mount the soldiers? I was thinking to use some type of stiff wire to mount to the top of the posts.

ebay.com link: NEW Play Along Toys The Lord of the Rings Army of the Dead Figures

#6749 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

I have a NOS LOTR playfield if anyone is in need of one. PM me.

How much?

#6750 3 years ago
Quoted from Superpops1:

Just picked up, there is 1 more available. Potd mod here we go. Does anyone have suggestions on how to mount the soldiers? I was thinking to use some type of stiff wire to mount to the top of the posts.
ebay.com link » New Play Along Toys The Lord Of The Rings Army Of The Dead Figures

Pic is of my machine.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1195-rgp-models/02523-lord-of-the-rings-lotr-path-of-the-dead-etched-acrylic

IMG_20210130_204330081 (resized).jpgIMG_20210130_204330081 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models
Toys/Add-ons
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
$ 12.95
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
There are 10,138 posts in this topic. You are on page 135 of 203.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/135?hl=nogoodnames222 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.