IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,199 posts in this topic. You are on page 128 of 204.
#6351 3 years ago

Anyone looking for a brand new playfield? Got one from Bay Area Amusements a while back but won't be needing it. Still in the shipping box it came in so it's ready to go if anyone is interested.

#6352 3 years ago

Hello, the Palantir globe base keeps rotating after a few plays. I twist it back but it returns. Is there a way to secure it so it doesn’t twist?

56E15881-01CF-4D68-95CA-76005D956809 (resized).jpeg56E15881-01CF-4D68-95CA-76005D956809 (resized).jpeg
#6353 3 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

Hello, the Palantir globe base keeps rotating after a few plays. I twist it back but it returns. Is there a way to secure it so it doesn’t twist?
[quoted image]

Is this one of Jay's original Palantir mods?? The base doesn't match the ones I have on mine.

Either way, removing the Palantir with the bracket you should be able to use some adhesive sealant or epoxy to help it from stop moving.

#6354 3 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Is this one of Jay's original Palantir mods?? The base doesn't match the ones I have on mine.
Either way, removing the Palantir with the bracket you should be able to use some adhesive sealant or epoxy to help it from stop moving.

yep, a drop of clear silicone will do the trick. Let it setup a good hour or two before playing.

#6355 3 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Not sure which mod it is, it came with the machine. Will try the sealant thanks

#6356 3 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

yep, a drop of clear silicone will do the trick. Let it setup a good hour or two before playing.

Or it sounds like maybe just a drop from a hot glue gun would work too..and be removable later if needed.

#6357 3 years ago

I would use a dab of plumbers goop for this , clear strong and flexible but can be removed without a trace

#6358 3 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Or it sounds like maybe just a drop from a hot glue gun would work too..and be removable later if needed.

Hot Glue breaks loose eventually with all the vibrations. Silicone or Goop glue dries a little flexible and you can always peel up later on with nothing left behind if you want to remove them.

#6359 3 years ago

Just started to take a part the game to replace rubbers and posts. Pulled the playfield up and noticed I had a broken wire all the way at the bottom left next to the right orbit. Wire is white with violet strip. Anyone know what this is for? Doesn't seem to effect gameplay but could have broken when I pulled playfield up.

20200824_125724 (resized).jpg20200824_125724 (resized).jpg
#6360 3 years ago
Quoted from Antron77:

Just started to take a part the game to replace rubbers and posts. Pulled the playfield up and noticed I had a broken wire all the way at the bottom left next to the right orbit. Wire is white with violet strip. Anyone know what this is for? Doesn't seem to effect gameplay but could have broken when I pulled playfield up.
[quoted image]

I believe the white with violet is the GI lights.

#6361 3 years ago

Yup, the manual shows WHT-VIO is used for the upper playfield GI string of 10 bulbs.

Also WHT-VIO is used for row 7 of the switch matrix which is switches: 23 right ramp target, 31 balrog open, 39 left ramp enter, 47 ring made, 15 4-ball stacking opto and a few others in the coin door: 55 tourney button and 7 5th coin slot.

#6362 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Yup, the manual shows WHT-VIO is used for the upper playfield GI string of 10 bulbs.
Also WHT-VIO is used for row 7 of the switch matrix which is switches: 23 right ramp target, 31 balrog open, 39 left ramp enter, 47 ring made, 15 4-ball stacking opto and a few others in the coin door: 55 tourney button and 7 5th coin slot.

So weird. I just put everything back together and don't notice anything wrong. All the top bulbs work, all bulbs work for that matter, and I can't see anything wrong with all those other things. I have sodered a few times so I know i can fix it but it would be a PITA with such a tight akward space.

#6363 3 years ago

I'm back in the club after 4 years or so. Excited to be here for sure!

IMG_20200824_151155 (resized).jpgIMG_20200824_151155 (resized).jpg
#6364 3 years ago
Quoted from Antron77:

So weird. I just put everything back together and don't notice anything wrong. All the top bulbs work, all bulbs work for that matter, and I can't see anything wrong with all those other things. I have sodered a few times so I know i can fix it but it would be a PITA with such a tight akward space.

Did you check the row of lights on the backboard under the back box?

#6365 3 years ago

I am always suffering from the "no cash when the right machine is for sale" syndrome. One of these days I will join the club... I swear!

#6366 3 years ago
Quoted from damelon:

I am always suffering from the "no cash when the right machine is for sale" syndrome.

There's a pin for every budget. Get a routed classic or EM for <1k and start sharpening your skills (playing and maintenance). The old titles are just as fun as the new ones in my experience.

#6367 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Did you check the row of lights on the backboard under the back box?

This is what you guys are talking about right?

20200825_195755 (resized).jpg20200825_195755 (resized).jpg
#6368 3 years ago
Quoted from Antron77:

This is what you guys are talking about right?
[quoted image]

The back panel is on the BRN-WHT GI String, with a single broken wire you are more than likely you are only missing part of GI light to the top corner of the playfield.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6369 3 years ago

I've just installed the special coils from PBL and although the improvement over the stock coils is fantastic.....these are way to strong. I've done some searching on Pinside to get the answer to my question, but either I'm a dumbass (likely) or it just hasn't been clearly explained before.

I've read that there is a flipper adjustment you can make in the menu. I've looked through both the standard and LOTR adjustments. I do not see anywhere that I can change the flipper coil strength to medium.

I did find the 3 various flipper adjustments in the general adjustment menu (#53-55), played around with those default numbers but no change in the strength of the flippers (literally, the ball flies off of the habitrail....just a matter of time before plastics start getting broken!)

Am I missing something???

I definetly want to switch these out with the medium coils that have been spoken about, unfortunately the seller won't ship internationally, and I don't know of any source here in the Great White North.

In any event, thanks in advance for any assistance provided!

#6370 3 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

I've just installed the special coils from PBL and although the improvement over the stock coils is fantastic.....these are way to strong. I've done some searching on Pinside to get the answer to my question, but either I'm a dumbass (likely) or it just hasn't been clearly explained before.
I've read that there is a flipper adjustment you can make in the menu. I've looked through both the standard and LOTR adjustments. I do not see anywhere that I can change the flipper coil strength to medium.
I did find the 3 various flipper adjustments in the general adjustment menu (#53-55), played around with those default numbers but no change in the strength of the flippers (literally, the ball flies off of the habitrail....just a matter of time before plastics start getting broken!)
I definetly want to switch these out with the medium coils that have been spoken about, unfortunately the seller won't ship internationally, and I don't know of any source here in the Great White North.

Yeah, the PBL coils will break stuff, they are just too strong.

The Medium Coils guy doesn't sell to Canada?? Shoot, he can ship them to me and I'll ship them to you at cost.....don't mind helping!

#6371 3 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

I did find the 3 various flipper adjustments in the general adjustment menu (#53-55), played around with those default numbers but no change in the strength of the flippers

Yup, those are the settings. They don't seem to have any affect. I don't think they implemented that function in the software even though the settings are there and others have recommended it. (not sure about the LE version of the software, I have a standard)

I get airballs from the left ramp with the stock coils also. I have found that slightly loosening the center support for the ramp lets it wiggle and reduces airballs somewhat.

Was speaking to someone (or reading) recently and came across the idea that the plastic protector mounted under the center support of the left ramp may be flexing the center of the ramp up, and causing airballs. I should be able the tuck the support under the protector to lower it there. That is on my list of things to try.

#6372 3 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

No matter how many times in this and other threads it's posted that those coils are horrible, people still end up purchasing them (including myself). I wish Terry would just stop selling them and replace them with similar strength "medium" coils available from others and save everyone the headache.

#6373 3 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Yeah, the PBL coils will break stuff, they are just too strong.
The Medium Coils guy doesn't sell to Canada?? Shoot, he can ship them to me and I'll ship them to you at cost.....don't mind helping!

Thats very cool of you to offer to help me out. Not quite sure why he won't ship to Canada.....but I digress.

In any event, decided that I don't want to risk breaking the plastics or anything else....so took the PBL coils out and replaced with the stock ones. Since I had rebuilt the flippers when I put the new coils in, and now with the old coils put back in, I notice a big difference. We'll have to see how strong they stay when playing a long game.

BBF

#6374 3 years ago

Will be listing a NOS playfield for LOTR in the market today, if anyone is interested. Will be local pickup only for now.

#6375 3 years ago

Hey, new to the "club" just got my LotR up and running. I was wondering if anyone else thought it was too loud? I have my volume on "1" and when you get a few modes going you can hear it through the whole house.

#6376 3 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

Hey, new to the "club" just got my LotR up and running. I was wondering if anyone else thought it was too loud? I have my volume on "1" and when you get a few modes going you can hear it through the whole house.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-volume#post-1316781-parent

#6377 3 years ago

Awesome thanks. I scanned through the features but didn't see anything.

#6378 3 years ago

I just added the 2Niro 'Ring of Fire' mod to my machine.

Wow it's amazing!!!! maybe one of the best mods added to my LOTR yet.

#6379 3 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I just added the 2Niro 'Ring of Fire' mod to my machine.
Wow it's amazing!!!! maybe one of the best mods added to my LOTR yet.

Then buy the 2 other mods from 2Niro as well. They are unique and fit so much to the game. Highly recommended. I have all 3 and would take them again.

#6380 3 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

Then buy the 2 other mods from 2Niro as well. They are unique and fit so much to the game. Highly recommended. I have all 3 and would take them again.

No thanks. I already have Jays palantir, and the eye of Sauron doesn't look right to me with the angle at which I play. Ring of fire is amazing though, 10/10 mod.

#6381 3 years ago

I’m on my third CPU / Sound board after losing sound on two others (that chip can only be replaced/repaired by Stern).

Am I just being paranoid or could something external be contributing to knocking out that chip? Anything to test before risking $400 board #3?

#6382 3 years ago

Shopping a friends LOTR. looking for a few tasteful mods...Ring shooter rod? anything else that is popular.

#6383 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Shopping a friends LOTR. looking for a few tasteful mods...Ring shooter rod? anything else that is popular.

Get the tiltopper

#6384 3 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

Get the tiltopper

Thx

One thing I need to fix is balrog. Does anyone sell new wire harnesses. Want to make it close to bulletproof again

#6385 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Thx
One thing I need to fix is balrog. Does anyone sell new wire harnesses. Want to make it close to bulletproof again

I found this at Marco's.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-5050-00

#6386 3 years ago

that’s nice cause it comes ready to swap

#6387 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Thx

I just picked this up, shipping was super cheap from UK to Canada. Haven’t gotten it yet though so I can’t vouch for it. It doesn’t have the connections made yet, but is much cheaper than the one from Marco’s I believe.

E7510B63-4B94-43B8-AB7B-55611475ADDE (resized).jpegE7510B63-4B94-43B8-AB7B-55611475ADDE (resized).jpeg
#6389 3 years ago
Quoted from TheShaft:

ebay.com link » Lord Of The Rings Lotr Pinball New Balrog Wiring Harness

Is that really all it is? A 4 wire IDC connector?

All you would really need to know is the IDC connector size, but I bet its something like this ->

https://www.pinballlife.com/156-396mm-idc-4-position-connector-for-22-gauge-wire.html

There is probably nothing wrong with the original connector itself. You could probably just remove the 4 original wires, push in new ones and a little bit of heat shrink tubing and you are done. You don't have to have a special IDC push tool....I've used a small flat head screwdriver before (like for glasses).

#6390 3 years ago

Or heck....usually the wiring harness just has a pinch in the wires. Just cut the original wires a 1/2" below and above the pinch and solder on a section of new wire and heat shrink it.

#6391 3 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Or heck....usually the wiring harness just has a pinch in the wires. Just cut the original wires a 1/2" below and above the pinch and solder on a section of new wire and heat shrink it.

Yeah I’ll see why his is not registering. Prob a broken wire somewhere

#6392 3 years ago

Hey guys! New to the club and had a few questions I could not find answers for after a search.........

1) I have the POTD plastic diverter installed, which sends it to the left wireform return. BUT it bounces hard on it and 50% of the time bounces right into the Shire area anyway. Is this normal?

2) I believe I have the newer Balrog light because it doesn't seem to be as crazy flashy/bright as those I've seen in videos. What is everyone using if they already have the newer service update installed since a standard flasher doesn't seem to work for that socket?

3) Is GI OCD needed for this game? I thought the shooter lane stream of lights was GI but it's clear those are feature lights that look like GI....haven't noticed much fading on the GI here...

Thanks everyone.

1 week later
#6393 3 years ago

Just joined the club this weekend. Play total on the audits says just over 100 but I'm not sure i believe that, doesnt seem to have been routed though.

Machine plays great, minimal issues so far, but want to make sure there isn't anything I should be installing to prevent work in the future. Is there a post outlining those kinds of things?

20200913_111201 (resized).jpg20200913_111201 (resized).jpg20200913_111114 (resized).jpg20200913_111114 (resized).jpg
#6394 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Just joined the club this weekend. Play total on the audits says just over 100 but I'm not sure i believe that, doesnt seem to have been routed though.
Machine plays great, minimal issues so far, but want to make sure there isn't anything I should be installing to prevent work in the future. Is there a post outlining those kinds of things?

Check the software version you are running. I bought a HUO a couple weeks ago. Both the CPU and Display ROMS were 8.0.

Enjoy!

#6395 3 years ago

Curious, probably half the LOTR’s I see have white targets at the shire, palantir, spot ring, and top of Aragorn ramp. Did the games come blank and it was up to the owner to put the decal on? This would also suggest why half of the games that have the decals have the palantir decal on sideways, (mine being one of those). So are the decals just still in the goodie bag?

#6396 3 years ago
Quoted from TheShaft:

Curious, probably half the LOTR’s I see have white targets at the shire, palantir, spot ring, and top of Aragorn ramp. Did the games come blank and it was up to the owner to put the decal on? This would also suggest why half of the games that have the decals have the palantir decal on sideways, (mine being one of those). So are the decals just still in the goodie bag?

Pinball life sells them. Not a goodie bag item to my knowledge.

https://www.pinballlife.com/pdi-target-decal-set-for-lotr.html

#6397 3 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

Check the software version you are running. I bought a HUO a couple weeks ago. Both the CPU and Display ROMS were 8.0.
Enjoy!

They are 8.0 got a local guy burning 10.0 for me. It's my understanding that 10.2 only works for LE, is that true?

#6398 3 years ago
Quoted from TheShaft:

I have a goodie bag in the coin box, haven't put em on yet.

#6399 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

They are 8.0 got a local guy burning 10.0 for me. It's my understanding that 10.2 only works for LE, is that true?

Get version 10.02. That will work just fine in addition if you ever wanted to add a shaker you'll already have the needed CPU version, you'll just need to get the PAL chip at that point.

10.0 & 10.02 are the same code with the exception of the programed shaker routines in 10.02

#6400 3 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Get version 10.02. That will work just fine in addition if you ever wanted to add a shaker you'll already have the needed CPU version, you'll just need to get the PAL chip at that point.
10.0 & 10.02 are the same code with the exception of the programed shaker routines in 10.02

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 7.50
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,199 posts in this topic. You are on page 128 of 204.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/128?hl=zfromearth and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.