Topic Stats

• 5,599 posts
  • 498 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by MSLONEKER
  • Topic is favorited by 257 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,196 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BAG END FDM (resized).jpg
BAG END SLA (resized).jpg
20200216_153922 (resized).jpg
WT3 (resized).jpg
WT2 (resized).jpg
WT1 (resized).jpg
20200216_152903 (resized).jpg
00n0n_iR0T5TPqEsk_1200x900 (resized).jpg
00X0X_8YB9rPSkXWh_1200x900 (resized).jpg
00B0B_337iZRSJqNV_1200x900 (resized).jpg
00R0R_ijnkV5Oykr8_1200x900.jpg
01717_71gE23EAxpv_1200x900.jpg
00X0X_kVigomD1CrG_1200x900.jpg
01212_h2o0jMUBgZ7_1200x900 (resized).jpg
01111_e48dlaaPTbQ_1200x900 (resized).jpg
00404_irbmXLnFqxj_1200x900 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5599 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 112.
#501 4 years ago
Quoted from BigBlockFever:

Does the colorDMD kit come with the USB drive for the download?

No, you download the file from their website onto your own USB

#502 4 years ago
Quoted from BigBlockFever:

Just picked up my LOTR ,1st game blew me away. What a marathon of pinball bliss! Found a HUO with 300 plays unmolested,ready to start the mods.I may pull the trigger on the colorDMD first.Is the conversion doable for an average beer drinker with lots of tools?

The Color DMD on this game is one of the best. Absolute must have mod in my opinion.

#503 4 years ago

A few questions, apologize if I'm being a bit lazy by not looking enough on other threads for answers on these:

1. The mech that kicks the balls into the shooter lane to launch - is there a way to protect this area or have it kick out more "softly"?
2. Sometimes when the ball is coming down the Aragorn sword or the squiggly wire ramp from the ring, the ball lock plastic doesn't go down in time and the ball hits it. Is this normal?
3. I have white noise in the background on the speakers, which seems to be a common issue. Is there a cheap way to get rid of this?

Thanks for any help!

#504 4 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

A few questions, apologize if I'm being a bit lazy by not looking enough on other threads for answers on these:
1. The mech that kicks the balls into the shooter lane to launch - is there a way to protect this area or have it kick out more "softly"?
2. Sometimes when the ball is coming down the Aragorn sword or the squiggly wire ramp from the ring, the ball lock plastic doesn't go down in time and the ball hits it. Is this normal?
3. I have white noise in the background on the speakers, which seems to be a common issue. Is there a cheap way to get rid of this?
Thanks for any help!

1. There's a Cliffy to protect the shooter lane. You just need to let Cliffy know if your LOTR has a yellow level or a black level.

2. I think this is normal. Mine hits every so often too, I think.

3. ???

#505 4 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Thanks for any help!

1. Yes, there is a coil strength setting in the game menu, can be set to low, medium or high. I set mine to low though and found sometimes it wasn't kicking hard enough to get the ball into the shooter lane, so left it at medium.

2. Never had it happen to me, but I imagine yes if it is travelling fast enough this could totally happen.

3. No idea, sorry!

#506 4 years ago

Loved it!

image_(resized).jpeg

#507 4 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Thanks for any help!

This thread is about TSPP but they are both Whitestar so it should still apply.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-speaker-humbuzz-fixed#post-2927813

#508 4 years ago

Going to try out that TSPP fix. Thanks for the info everyone

#509 4 years ago

at home since 2 months,it's a gorgeous pinball

DSCN3564_(resized).JPG

DSCN3566_(resized).JPG

DSCN3567_(resized).JPG

DSCN3568_(resized).JPG

DSCN3563_(resized).JPG

DSCN3570_(resized).JPG

#510 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

that does look freakin awesome man. if I hadn't had a ten minute ball on the second night in the gameroom I might do this. Shadow might be good candidate. where do you get this stuff?

Pinballdecals.com has all the brass stuff on their website.

The only problem I had was the advertised Stern lock bar did not fit because the vertical tabs that goes down into the lock mechanism the left tab was about 4 inches too far to the left and actually the same like where Bally tabs are, I had a local friend cut off that tab and reweld it to match the old lockbar location for LOTR. So beware of this. Otherwise everything else fit fine. If you buy the brass door on ebay from them they charge 25 to ship on ebay but 34 to ship from their website. I had some ebay bucks and used that to help pay for some it like the shipping. I have bought 2 brass doors from them and 1 stainless steel. I sometimes just sit in front of my pins and repeat wow like a zillion times.

IMG_0305_(resized).JPG

#511 4 years ago

I was at Florida APE and played a lot of different pins but none were better than LOTR. Mine is staying with me until I die

#512 4 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

The mech that kicks the balls into the shooter lane to launch - is there a way to protect this area or have it kick out more "softly"?

Is it also throwing up an error on the dmd saying that the coil failed? I had this happen at my party saturday night.

Open up the machine, lift up the playfield. That plastic lock is attached to a plunger. The mechanism is a little odd because they needed a spring to push the plunger up so they used a c-clip to hold the spring in place. The spring can twist and work itself under the clip. It will then work part of the time, but not all. I would make sure that isn't the case first.

#513 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Is it also throwing up an error on the dmd saying that the coil failed? I had this happen at my party saturday night.
Open up the machine, lift up the playfield. That plastic lock is attached to a plunger. The mechanism is a little odd because they needed a spring to push the plunger up so they used a c-clip to hold the spring in place. The spring can twist and work itself under the clip. It will then work part of the time, but not all. I would make sure that isn't the case first.

FYI - newer versions of the sword lock mech actually have a larger nylon washer installed to prevent this from happening. If it becomes an issue you can go to Home Depot or Menards, etc. and buy some large nylon washers and make one yourself.

#514 4 years ago

Can someone help with an LED question? My thread is here- and this is for the ring, tower and VUK near trough, not GI or playfield. Thanks-

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-led-not-working-in-tower-or-ring

Jimmy

#515 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

No, I haven't noticed any error messages. It probably happens 1 in 10 times or so - I was guessing the pitch was a little too steep. Thanks for the info on the spring, I'll check it out next time I pull up the playfield.

Quoted from T-800:

FYI - newer versions of the sword lock mech actually have a larger nylon washer installed to prevent this from happening. If it becomes an issue you can go to Home Depot or Menards, etc. and buy some large nylon washers and make one yourself.

Thanks for the tip on the washer, I'll check that too.

#516 4 years ago

Question on mine. I noticed that when you shoot the ball into the ring it hits the ring itself. What I mean is you shoot the shot. The ball hovers in place. When the ball goes to move forward it goes back and forth a couple of times first. You can hear it hitting the ring itself. I don't remember my old one doing that. Is it common?

#517 4 years ago

hi,i don't have this trouble on mine ,sorry for you

#518 4 years ago

BTW, are the lockdown bar receivers for LOTR available anywhere? If so, where? I see only the current model being offered.

#519 4 years ago

Does your Balrog light up?

Pics & video from the whip mod thread show the Balrog lighting up from within... is that from the whip mod?

#520 4 years ago
Quoted from rbissett:

Does your Balrog light up?
Pics & video from the whip mod thread show the Balrog lighting up from within... is that from the whip mod?

That's standard. There's a flasher in there.

#521 4 years ago

Interesting. Mine has been broken since I pulled it out of the box in 2003 then... Time to dissect the little red guy...

#522 4 years ago

i got my flipper fixed, changed all the settings to the most difficult level, and jacked it up a bit more. I now really like this game. before I was getting multiball way to often now it seems just about right. I'm a pretty decent player and my highest score is 30M (on 5-ball). Extra ball is set to 96M. I think I'm in the right zone now.

#523 4 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

BTW, are the lockdown bar receivers for LOTR available anywhere? If so, where? I see only the current model being offered.

Quote-bump!

#524 4 years ago

About time I put up a couple of pics of my LOTR LE.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#525 4 years ago

GC score at 1.1B ?!? Love the topper btw.

#526 4 years ago

Installed my color dmd last night.

20160223_010650_(resized).jpg

#527 4 years ago
Quoted from scottslash:

GC score at 1.1B ?!? Love the topper btw.

Thanks, the score was a guy over for a tournament last year.

#528 4 years ago

Love the Gollum

#529 3 years ago

Hi all. Got a question and haven't seen it in a thread yet. I was playing LOTR last night and a couple times the movie modes would start after I had completed them but not before I destroyed the ring. I know they can get awarded via mystery and such, but was wondering if this was an error or that's part of the game. Havent had it too long but thought it was odd that you could have completed a movie mode and it restarted it- went from fully lit to blinking. That happen to any of you? Thoughts? I can see after DTR but not before. Thanks.

#530 3 years ago

Man that color DMD looks awesome! I just can't stomach the $400 price tag that they want for these DMD's..

#531 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Man that color DMD looks awesome! I just can't stomach the $400 price tag that they want for these DMD's..

Think of how us Canadians feel :-\. To get one up here they are around $700 landed (tax, shipping, exchange etc). I would love to try one in a couple of my games but that's way too expensive for a mod.

#532 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

right. way too much for a mod. i might consider one for 200

#533 3 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyapple:

Hi all. Got a question and haven't seen it in a thread yet. I was playing LOTR last night and a couple times the movie modes would start after I had completed them but not before I destroyed the ring. I know they can get awarded via mystery and such, but was wondering if this was an error or that's part of the game. Havent had it too long but thought it was odd that you could have completed a movie mode and it restarted it- went from fully lit to blinking. That happen to any of you? Thoughts? I can see after DTR but not before. Thanks.

Fully lit just means that you have played it, not that you have completed it. Flashing means that it is qualified to start. After DTR they all go out again.

So when you start the game, they are all out.
As you qualify each they flash.
After you play them they are lit solid.
DTR shuts them all back off.

Completing them are (pardon, this is from memory):

FOTR - Get everyone across the bridge (You Shall Not Pass!!!!!).
TTT - Get a Super Jackpot (Supppperjackpottttt ohh ho ho ho).
ROTK - Complete the 7th level (I have no idea what it says because I suck).

Yes, sometimes you can start a multiball as a mystery award.

#534 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Fully lit just means that you have played it, not that you have completed it. Flashing means that it is qualified to start. After DTR they all go out again.
So when you start the game, they are all out.
As you qualify each they flash.
After you play them they are lit solid.
DTR shuts them all back off.
Completing them are (pardon, this is from memory):
FOTR - Get everyone across the bridge (You Shall Not Pass!!!!!).
TTT - Get a Super Jackpot (Supppperjackpottttt ohh ho ho ho).
ROTK - Complete the 7th level (I have no idea what it says because I suck).
Yes, sometimes you can start a multiball as a mystery award.

So my question is: if I start the mode, say TTT, and finish/complete it, it is fully lit, not blinking. What has happened is that I have not yet got to DTR and something triggers me to start the TTT mode again. I thought you only had to complete them each once before DTR, didn't know it would "award" you TTT again. It starts blinking and starts the mode without me locking the balls into place. Has this happened to you? Is this an error or a setting. For full disclosure (don't judge as I just got it!) I have it on easy mode. Maybe the answer is to just put back to factory but I wanted to get where I could move along in the game and not play for 10 years before I really got it down Any help would be great.

#535 3 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyapple:

So my question is: if I start the mode, say TTT, and finish/complete it, it is fully lit, not blinking. What has happened is that I have not yet got to DTR and something triggers me to start the TTT mode again. I thought you only had to complete them each once before DTR, didn't know it would "award" you TTT again. It starts blinking and starts the mode without me locking the balls into place. Has this happened to you? Is this an error or a setting. For full disclosure (don't judge as I just got it!) I have it on easy mode. Maybe the answer is to just put back to factory but I wanted to get where I could move along in the game and not play for 10 years before I really got it down Any help would be great.

That sounds like a mystery award to start the multiball. You don't have to complete the multiball goals to get to DTR. You only have to play the three movie multiballs to get to DTR.

I would recommend putting it on factory. I doubt many of us are going to be able to answer about the software behavior for the EASY settings.

#536 3 years ago

Ill do that when I get home. It just seems weird to me that you could complete, say TTT, twice under the same ball before destroying the ring. That's what's occurring.

#537 3 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyapple:

So my question is: if I start the mode, say TTT, and finish/complete it, it is fully lit, not blinking. What has happened is that I have not yet got to DTR and something triggers me to start the TTT mode again.

It can be awarded as a mystery. However, even in the same ball you can re-qualify it and play it again, even without playing DTR. The qualifications don't shut off even though you have already played it. So if you spell KEEP 3 times and lock 3 balls, it will also start again.

#538 3 years ago

that's what I was wondering. thanks so much, seems like its normal, not a glitch.

#539 3 years ago

Yeah i know only way i justify it was i had a couple lines out in mine so i was going was dropping 200 for a regular or just pony up 200 more and go color. I dont regret it one bit.

#540 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Just close your eyes and hit the 'buy' button.

#541 3 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Going to try out that TSPP fix. Thanks for the info everyone

Got the parts in today to try this on lotr. Couldn't be happier. Difference is night and day.

#542 3 years ago

And here I was saying I wasn't into action figures. What have I become?!

image_(resized).jpeg

#543 3 years ago

#544 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

And here I was saying I wasn't into action figures. What have I become?!

image_(resized).jpeg

I said that once and then got into pinball and got a LOTR.

#545 3 years ago

So I've been looking for a sweet LOTR topper and have checked some of the mods pages but to no avail. Maybe something like a giant ring that could be lit or something else other than the couple available for purchase. Anyone got any ideas or should I start a different thread? Just curious as it looks bare. Thanks in advance.

#546 3 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyapple:

So I've been looking for a sweet LOTR topper and have checked some of the mods pages but to no avail. Maybe something like a giant ring that could be lit or something else other than the couple available for purchase. Anyone got any ideas or should I start a different thread? Just curious as it looks bare. Thanks in advance.

Pauloz has a nice looking topper in post #524

#547 3 years ago

I recently picked up the following mods for my LOTR. I haven't installed any yet. Anything I should know before I get started?

- ColorDMD - this looks pretty straightforward
- POTD mod - I haven't looked at these instructions yet
- Pinball Life - Interior graphics panel set
- Jays Palantir
- various cliffys
- few post protectors

Thanks.

#548 3 years ago

Here's the topper I made. I removed the back box flasher that I installed when I put in the LED color changing board and mounted it behind the Balrog. Works like a charm and makes a very good visual appearance. I did this about 5 years ago when you could pick up those Balrogs for $15 or so. Now, I think, they sell for over $50 if you can even find them.

DSCN2665_0298_edited-1_(resized).JPG

#549 3 years ago

Thanks so far- keep em coming. May even just put sting up there mounted is I can find a good replica sword. If someone has one at a decent price pm me.

#550 3 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyapple:

Thanks so far- keep em coming. May even just put sting up there mounted is I can find a good replica sword. If someone has one at a decent price pm me.

Last night I was 4 shots away from Valinor (Gandolf, Merry, and the two ring shots left) on ball 2 but drained. I plunged ball 3 and unbelievably was able to re-qualify all three multiballs and start a second DTR to Valinor attempt. Got 4 shots away and drained again.

Thank God there wasn't a real sword on top of my machine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
There are 5599 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 112.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside