IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 204.
#5351 4 years ago

Wow!! Most impressive.

#5352 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Due to the great response Coupon has been extended thru CyberMonday!!!! At this point I have 7 Palantirs still available, however I'm not making another run of these until sometime in 2020.

Best mod for LOTR!

#5353 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I'm not sure I could ever do better than this. All 4 shots plus 2x ring shots (2-ball DTR), no misses, stock coils. I surprised even myself![quoted image]

Great time!

#5354 4 years ago

Incredible time. Under 20 seconds??? I have a new goal!

#5355 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Incredible time. Under 20 seconds??? I have a new goal!

No kidding. I can't imagine being able to do it quicker than that though. Awesome stuff @fatpanda! It's gotta be those new flipper switches

#5356 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

No kidding. I can't imagine being able to do it quicker than that though. Awesome stuff fatpanda! It's gotta be those new flipper switches

Ha! You never know! It could have been that the new switches allowed me to stretch my legs a little lol

#5357 4 years ago

How many different people do you guys think have been to Valinor? Under 1000?

#5358 4 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

#5359 4 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

Under 200, legit with glass on.

#5360 4 years ago

I'm a pretty damn savvy player, having owned my LOTR for ~6.5 years now and I still have NOT made it to Valinor. The day I make it is the same day it goes up for sale.

#5361 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

The day I make it is the same day it goes up for sale.

lol, I hear a lot of people say that.

#5362 4 years ago

I have a question about shopping the game. I have had LoTR for a while now, but I have only done the somewhat superficial cleaning and adjustments. I want to now do a deeper clean / waxing, and replace all rubbers.

My question is: how much of a pain is this to do? Eventually I want to do a full LED conversion with an OCD board; does it make sense to do this right now along with cleaning / waxing / rubbers because of the difficulty of getting to all the playfield parts?

#5363 4 years ago
Quoted from -ZZZ-:

I want to now do a deeper clean / waxing, and replace all rubbers.

Quoted from -ZZZ-:

how much of a pain is this to do?

It's fairly easy. The right side with the sword and figures is a little fiddly but nothing you couldn't do in a few hours taking your time and being careful. I put Titan clears on mine. You'll need some zip ties and a pair of flush-cutters to trim them in order to remove and reattach some of the figures. Be careful of the ones with swords, they're easily broken off.

#5364 4 years ago
Quoted from -ZZZ-:

I have a question about shopping the game. I have had LoTR for a while now, but I have only done the somewhat superficial cleaning and adjustments. I want to now do a deeper clean / waxing, and replace all rubbers.
My question is: how much of a pain is this to do? Eventually I want to do a full LED conversion with an OCD board; does it make sense to do this right now along with cleaning / waxing / rubbers because of the difficulty of getting to all the playfield parts?

It's not the worst game and not the easiest. Just take your time and lots of pictures and you should be fine. If you are going to LED and LED OCD it, you might as well do it all at once, but you don't need to. I believe all the lights can be changed without disassembly. It's been a while since I LED/OCDed mine, but I don't recall having to pull anything major apart to change bulbs.

#5365 4 years ago
Quoted from -ZZZ-:

I have had LoTR for a while now...I want to now do a deeper clean / waxing, and replace all rubbers.

Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

It's fairly easy. The right side with the sword and figures is a little fiddly but nothing you couldn't do in a few hours taking your time and being careful. I put Titan clears on mine.

Quoted from Lamprey:

It's not the worst game and not the easiest. Just take your time and lots of pictures and you should be fine. If you are going to LED and LED OCD it, you might as well do it all at once, but you don't need to. I believe all the lights can be changed without disassembly. It's been a while since I LED/OCDed mine, but I don't recall having to pull anything major apart to change bulbs.

I agree with the above sentiments. LOTR was the first game that I thoroughly cleaned the playfield by taking apart many of the top elements to access everything. "It's not the worst game and not the easiest." I put black titans on mine ('cause at the time I wasn't sure that I'd be able to get all the black off the game from the aging black rubber). I have not done LED OCD yet.

One thing I would add - once you have taken off enough elements to clean well, you may want to take a few more off in order to put warm white LED bulbs in for all the GI lighting (if it hasn't been done yet). I think it may be easier to do from the top... Make sure you get a frosted bulb for the one that shines at you from Legolas ramp. For the ones under plastics, I liked clearer bulbs because they gave off more light. Bulbs are kind of cheap - get a couple different types and see what you like.

#5366 4 years ago

Should I put any LED GI bulbs in before I have the OCD board? Not sure how annoying the general fading effects are without that add-on.

Thanks so much for the help everybody!

#5367 4 years ago
Quoted from -ZZZ-:

Should I put any LED GI bulbs in before I have the OCD board? Not sure how annoying the general fading effects are without that add-on.
Thanks so much for the help everybody!

The LED OCD board is for the inserts only, it has no impact on the GI lighting circuits. Here also sells a GI board for LEDs. I use it on my LOTR, but some feel that it’s not necessary it as long as you use quality nonghosting LEDs.

#5368 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

The LED OCD board is for the inserts only, it has no impact on the GI lighting circuits. Here also sells a GI board for LEDs. I use it on my LOTR, but some feel that it’s not necessary it as long as you use quality nonghosting LEDs.

That's interesting. I thought that for GI lighting you actually WANT to have ghosting LED's in order to smoothly display GI fade effects, etc.

#5369 4 years ago
Quoted from -ZZZ-:

That's interesting. I thought that for GI lighting you actually WANT to have ghosting LED's in order to smoothly display GI fade effects, etc.

LEDs do nothing smoothly, they are either off or on. The smoothing is done by some electronic PWM circuitry that control the on/off cycles of the LED. Highly technical bordering on magic black box stuff, more information can be found at Herg's website: http://ledocd.com/faq_led.html

#5370 4 years ago
Quoted from -ZZZ-:

Correct. I had fancy/expensive non-ghosting LED's and switched them all out for basic LED's. Looked much better with the LED/OCD board. Might be a way to configure the LEDOCD board to work better with non-ghosting, but decided it was simpler (and less expensive) to use LED's with less complexity.

#5371 4 years ago

Does LOTR have "fading" GI?

I had mine for a month or so before I converted to LED and I never noticed the GI fading: it was either on or off.

I have an extra GI OCD, but I never saw the need to add it.

#5372 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Does LOTR have "fading" GI?
I had mine for a month or so before I converted to LED and I never noticed the GI fading: it was either on or off.
I have an extra GI OCD, but I never saw the need to add it.

There is a really sweet fading "effect" done by the lamps next to the shooter lane. I actually don't know if these are GI or controlled lamps but the effect looks really good.

#5373 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

There is a really sweet fading "effect" done by the lamps next to the shooter lane. I actually don't know if these are GI or controlled lamps but the effect looks really good.

Any idea when that effect triggers?

If I know what/when to look for I can try with and without the GI OCD and see how it changes.

#5374 4 years ago

I believe it is right after you lock a ball and the next ball kicks out into the shooter lane.

#5375 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Any idea when that effect triggers?
If I know what/when to look for I can try with and without the GI OCD and see how it changes.

I am fairly certain the lights next to (parallel along the length of) the shooter lane are controlled lamps.
Lamps 64-72 in the lamp matrix.

#5376 4 years ago

Ha.. Yeah it happens right when you start a game. That effect is part of the lamp matrix, not the GI.

(looks like DCFan beat me too it)

#5377 4 years ago

And to add on to the previous two posts, an LED OCD board and warm white retro LEDs looks AMAZING there.

#5378 4 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

And to add on to the previous two posts, an LED OCD board and warm white retro LEDs looks AMAZING there.

Thanks for following up with the info & recommendation. I put good LEDs in the shooter lane lights because a few were out and IMO it was a bit of a pain to change them. The LEDs look good to me, but I knew they were part of the controlled lamps. I look forward to an improvement someday when I LED OCD my LOTR.

Will wait until next year, though, because my sound board died a few months ago, and I installed PinSound to solve the problem rather than repair the board. I really like the PinSound options and the headphone jack. Yeah, I know it might be "best" to get the board fixed first....

#5379 4 years ago

I am considering getting Comet Pinball's full LED kit with the OCD board. Has anyone installed this particular kit? If so, what are the overall impressions?

#5380 4 years ago
Quoted from -ZZZ-:

I am considering getting Comet Pinball's full LED kit with the OCD board. Has anyone installed this particular kit? If so, what are the overall impressions?

Kits are always more expensive and you have to take what they give you in the kit. I never use kits as I like the freedom to choose my own colors and quality of LED's.

#5381 4 years ago
Quoted from -ZZZ-:

See this thread and discussion. Very useful stuff.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-and-rubber-maps-for-lord-of-the-rings

Really should be a key post in LOTR club. Maybe make the post below a key post, since it references @flynnibus original thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/90#post-5071487

So much good info out there on a much-loved machine like LOTR, that it's sometimes hard to locate good or basic info.

#5382 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

Will wait until next year, though, because my sound board died a few months ago, and I installed PinSound to solve the problem rather than repair the board. I really like the PinSound options and the headphone jack. Yeah, I know it might be "best" to get the board fixed first....

Nah, you did the right thing going to PinSound, the Whitestar stock sound is just so bad IMHO

#5383 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

See this thread and discussion. Very useful stuff.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-and-rubber-maps-for-lord-of-the-rings
Really should be a key post in LOTR club. Maybe make the post below a key post, since it references @flynnibus original thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/90#post-5071487
So much good info out there on a much-loved machine like LOTR, that it's sometimes hard to locate good or basic info.

Copied originally from flynnibus:

Ok, back for another round.. Here is my effort to improve upon the original documentation for adding silicon rings and LEDs to Lord of the Rings!

For LOTR, the original manual is pretty good, with only minor errors and confusing info for the rubbers. Specifically the photo map for rubbers is incomplete and the list of rubbers is far more extensive than you need for a silicon ring upgrade. LOTR uses 7/16" OD rings extensively for grommets on assemblies and mounting lights to the playfield. These do not need to be replaced when simply adding silicon rings. This also applies to the bumpers used in mechanisms, and two places where rubber rings are used as friction nuts (Sword Ramp and Palantir). So these rubbers are excluded from my charts. I also do not include the blue pad rubber used on the playfield and a shooter tip.

So let's get to the meat of the matter.. The way I assembly my info is I have a google sheets doc that has all the information, and images that help identify the locations used. The Google Sheet can be found here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AMfgqSx6CONrXw0tBQ8sucsd7wiVSB2cASlilaRADR0/edit?usp=sharing

Here is the Rubber Map. I chose clear rings. Photos of the final install will be added in later posts. (1st pic)

Next.. LEDs!

Why pay for markup on a kit when you can buy the individual lights? Plus, it helps to have someone find out which lights work best where, maybe even some artistic choices.

For LOTR, things are relatively straight forward. I've chosen some subtle color adds for the rear two corners of the game, as well as the GI lights on the backboard. The spreadsheet highlights which bulb changes are alternate styling vs an OEM look. There are no errors in the manual that I noted - its just about which LEDs work best for your intended look.

The spreadsheet includes a BOM of all the LEDs and Flashers used, and a graphical map of where to use each. My list is based on using cointaker LEDs and I try to use the cheaper LEDs where possible. This, along with the style of using Retro bulbs is why you see a mix of Retro, Frosted, and Mini bulbs. This build is also based on using an OCD LED board - which is a HUGE improvement on Lord of the Rings. You could use anti-ghosting LEDs, but my guide is not built around those.

So, onto the graphical map! Photos of this install will be added in a later post. (2nd pic)

And here we go! This is with Titan Comp Silicon Rings, Cointaker LEDs, and a OCD LED Board. Let me know what you think of the final product!

The exposure has been tweaked a bit to try to get the digital cam to look true to life. (3rd and 4th pics)

Screenshot_20191207-002554~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20191207-002554~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20191207-002649~3 (resized).pngScreenshot_20191207-002649~3 (resized).pngScreenshot_20191207-002722~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20191207-002722~2 (resized).png
#5384 4 years ago

Thank you so much for the updated info. I love the bulb map and will use it as the basis for my LED conversion.

I do have a whole bunch of Comet bulbs on hand. The flashers are easy to match, but I find the regular controlled lamp specs confusing. Can anyone tell me whether these are the appropriate equivalents for the Cointaker bulbs listed?

COINTAKER LED --> COMET LED
Mini 555 --> 1SMD Wege, No Lens
Frosted 555 --> 1SMD Wedge, Frosted (or is 2SMD Wedge Frosted a better equivalent??)
Retro 555 --> 2SMD Wedge, Clear Lens
Retro 44 --> 2SMD Bayonet, Clear Lens
2LED Green 555 --> ????????

#5385 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Copied originally from flynnibus:
Ok, back for another round.. Here is my effort to improve upon the original documentation for adding silicon rings and LEDs to Lord of the Rings!
For LOTR, the original manual is pretty good, with only minor errors and confusing info for the rubbers. Specifically the photo map for rubbers is incomplete and the list of rubbers is far more extensive than you need for a silicon ring upgrade. LOTR uses 7/16" OD rings extensively for grommets on assemblies and mounting lights to the playfield. These do not need to be replaced when simply adding silicon rings. This also applies to the bumpers used in mechanisms, and two places where rubber rings are used as friction nuts (Sword Ramp and Palantir). So these rubbers are excluded from my charts. I also do not include the blue pad rubber used on the playfield and a shooter tip.
So let's get to the meat of the matter.. The way I assembly my info is I have a google sheets doc that has all the information, and images that help identify the locations used. The Google Sheet can be found here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AMfgqSx6CONrXw0tBQ8sucsd7wiVSB2cASlilaRADR0/edit?usp=sharing
Here is the Rubber Map. I chose clear rings. Photos of the final install will be added in later posts. (1st pic)
Next.. LEDs!
Why pay for markup on a kit when you can buy the individual lights? Plus, it helps to have someone find out which lights work best where, maybe even some artistic choices.
For LOTR, things are relatively straight forward. I've chosen some subtle color adds for the rear two corners of the game, as well as the GI lights on the backboard. The spreadsheet highlights which bulb changes are alternate styling vs an OEM look. There are no errors in the manual that I noted - its just about which LEDs work best for your intended look.
The spreadsheet includes a BOM of all the LEDs and Flashers used, and a graphical map of where to use each. My list is based on using cointaker LEDs and I try to use the cheaper LEDs where possible. This, along with the style of using Retro bulbs is why you see a mix of Retro, Frosted, and Mini bulbs. This build is also based on using an OCD LED board - which is a HUGE improvement on Lord of the Rings. You could use anti-ghosting LEDs, but my guide is not built around those.
So, onto the graphical map! Photos of this install will be added in a later post. (2nd pic)
And here we go! This is with Titan Comp Silicon Rings, Cointaker LEDs, and a OCD LED Board. Let me know what you think of the final product!
The exposure has been tweaked a bit to try to get the digital cam to look true to life. (3rd and 4th pics)[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Keep in mind for myself and many others there is a typo in the guide: The Shooter lane LEDs mini warm white 555 should be 44s.

Quoted from -ZZZ-:

Thank you so much for the updated info. I love the bulb map and will use it as the basis for my LED conversion.
I do have a whole bunch of Comet bulbs on hand. The flashers are easy to match, but I find the regular controlled lamp specs confusing. Can anyone tell me whether these are the appropriate equivalents for the Cointaker bulbs listed?
COINTAKER LED --> COMET LED
Mini 555 --> 1SMD Wege, No Lens
Frosted 555 --> 1SMD Wedge, Frosted (or is 2SMD Wedge Frosted a better equivalent??)
Retro 555 --> 2SMD Wedge, Clear Lens
Retro 44 --> 2SMD Bayonet, Clear Lens
2LED Green 555 --> ????????

ZZZ: 2LED Green 555 -- 2 SMD Wedge Frosted Lens

I did use Flynnibus's quide to LED mine and it in combo with the LED OCD & GIzmo board makes it look fantastic. The only changes I did compared to the guide besides the shooter lanes being 44s was make the 3 O-R-C tope lanes Orange. I also changed the 3 Movie inserts to Red, Green, and Blue to match the DVD covers.

IMG_5872.JPGIMG_5872.JPG
IMG_6249.JPGIMG_6249.JPG

#5386 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

2LED Green 555 -- 2 SMD Wedge Frosted Lens

So what is the difference between that lens and "Frosted - Green - 555" in the guide? Is that supposed to be a 1SMD Frosted?

#5387 4 years ago
Quoted from -ZZZ-:

So what is the difference between that lens and "Frosted - Green - 555" in the guide? Is that supposed to be a 1SMD Frosted?

Frosted - Green - 555 is used for Playfield Inserts, having them too bright distracts while playing. The others are used above the Path of the Dead.

#5388 4 years ago

I don't know that I'd make that bulb "guide" a key post as there is a lot of color GI, which looks terrible IMHO. Also, no need to color match inserts. Meh..

#5389 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I don't know that I'd make that bulb "guide" a key post as there is a lot of color GI, which looks terrible IMHO. Also, no need to color match inserts. Meh..

It's a guide, not an edict. The rubber & LED maps & tables (in original thread) provide the info from the manual in a much more succinct format. Most people that use the LED section make their own substitutions and choices on colors (or not colors).

There are always new owners that can benefit from a quick pointer to some good information. It's a daunting task to wade through 5000+ posts in the LOTR club, or search the forum for other LOTR threads (many useful, many not).

#5390 4 years ago

I turned my game on today and the message "OPEN THE DOOR" was flashing. I opened the door and the game started, but all my high scores are gone. Anybody have my ideas?

#5391 4 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

I turned my game on today and the message "OPEN THE DOOR" was flashing. I opened the door and the game started, but all my high scores are gone. Anybody have my ideas?

Batteries dead or leaking?

#5392 4 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

This just happened to me after I installed NVRAM. It did that the first time I booted up the game only. Now it turns on as per usual.

#5393 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

This just happened to me after I installed NVRAM. It did that the first time I booted up the game only. Now it turns on as per usual.

Did you lose your high scores?

#5394 4 years ago

Hopefully an easy question. I have one GI bulb that won't light in my rollover area. Incandescent bulb doesn't light at all. LED bulb shows faint glow but not lit. Voltage is 5.6 V at the wires, same as the other sockets. Bad socket? Just confirming before I order one.

#5395 4 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Did you lose your high scores?

Yup.

#5396 4 years ago

Can someone help me, ive been restoring my LORD, and ive removed the display to clean it an etc, i didnt take any picture of the position of the cables, can someone help.

Thanks

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5397 4 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Can someone help me, ive been restoring my LORD, and ive removed the display to clean it an etc, i didnt take any picture of the position of the cables, can someone help.

The red stripe on the ribbon cable marks 'pin 1'. The manual has diagrams that will show you which pin on the board is 'pin 1' so you can orient the cable correctly and connect the red stripe to 'pin 1'.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/4858/Stern_2003_The_Lord_of_the_Rings_English_Manual_complete.pdf

#5398 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

The red stripe on the ribbon cable marks 'pin 1'. The manual has diagrams that will show you which pin on the board is 'pin 1' so you can orient the cable correctly and connect the red stripe to 'pin 1'.
https://www.ipdb.org/files/4858/Stern_2003_The_Lord_of_the_Rings_English_Manual_complete.pdf

Thanks sir

#5399 4 years ago
IMG_20191210_200557 (resized).jpgIMG_20191210_200557 (resized).jpg
#5400 4 years ago
Quoted from insx:

[quoted image]

Amazing

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 18.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 25.00
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

There are 10,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 204.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/108?hl=sbrothers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.