IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,199 posts in this topic. You are on page 103 of 204.
#5101 4 years ago

I would suggest you go the 10.02 route with the PAL chip, as it doesn't cost much more and gives you the flexibility to add a shaker motor - which is very good on this pin.

Quoted from MSLONEKER:

Thx. So i down loaded code. Unzipped, and there are about 10 files and a read me. Should i delete read me file before sticking the usb in the pin.

Quoted from MrSmiley:

LotR runs the Stern Whitestar boardset which does not yet offer upgrades via USB. So in order to update code you need to physically swap the CPU as well as display ROM (behind the DMD) with a ROM that has the latest code on it. You can either buy or burn the ROM yourself.
Marco or any other pinball shop will do. Be aware you need both CPU and display ROM, latest version is 10.0 or 10.02 CPU ROM if you want to run a shaker motor. If you are going for 10.02 you need an additional PAL chip.

#5102 4 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

Thx. So i down loaded code. Unzipped, and there are about 10 files and a read me. Should i delete read me file before sticking the usb in the pin.

Whitestar can't be updated via USB. You have to swap out ROMs. Action Pinball has them and Ray is great to work with.

#5103 4 years ago

I guess I would have figured that out when I went to find the usb connection. Thx for that heads up. I just bought both the eproms. So all I have to do is take out the old ones out, put in new ones and reboot.

#5104 4 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

I guess I would have figured that out when I went to find the usb connection. Thx for that heads up. I just bought both the eproms. So all I have to do is take out the old ones out, put in new ones and reboot.

Yep, try to not damage/break any pins while taking out the old ones. Use a flat head screw driver to carefully lift them up. Also pay attention to the notch at both roms and replace the new ones with the same orientation as the old ones.

#5105 4 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

Yep, that's it! Just be sure to do it with the Power off and that you orient the ROMs in the right direction. I'd recommend using a chip puller, but careful usage of a small flatblade screwdriver also works.

#5106 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Yep, that's it! Just be sure to do it with the Power off and that you orient the ROMs in the right direction. I'd recommend using a chip puller, but careful usage of a small flatblade screwdriver also works.

K. I'll spring for a chip puller. Thx for all the help on this guys. Can't wait to get her up to date.

#5107 4 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

K. I'll spring for a chip puller.

This is the one you want. Don't get one of those things that has the arms to grab the chip. Gently slide this under each end of the chip and twist/rock it to lift the chip out without bending the pins.

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26810-5-7-Inch-Precision-Lifter/dp/B00433SJB2/ref=sr_1_1

chip puller (resized).jpgchip puller (resized).jpg

#5108 4 years ago

That's a nice tool.

I would also recommend removing the boards and installing the chips with your boards on your workbench; installing these with the board still in the machine is not a good idea.

#5109 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

This is the one you want. Don't get one of those things that has the arms to grab the chip. Gently slide this under each end of the chip and twist/rock it to lift the chip out without bending the pins.
amazon.com link »
[quoted image]

Ok I'll try it.

#5110 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

That's a nice tool.
I would also recommend removing the boards and installing the chips with your boards on your workbench; installing these with the board still in the machine is not a good idea.

I'm in middle of a house renovation. I haven't seen the top of my work bench in months.

#5111 4 years ago

You don't need to take the boards off. Upgrade to 10.02, follow the directions in this thread but you can wait on the shaker.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-install-shaker-motor-in-lotr-standard-edition

#5112 4 years ago

When is the shaker activated?

I'm guessing at least:
* Balrog comes out and balrog hits
* selectively in DTR?
* When Barad Dur leans

Debating putting one in my LE but have never played one with a shaker in it

#5113 4 years ago

Another question. I noticed that my tt multiball somethime counted some tume it didnt. Noticed this discounnected wire on the wirw ramp. Can anyone tell me what part of the switch it is supposed to be comnected to

20191025_093746 (resized).jpg20191025_093746 (resized).jpg
#5114 4 years ago

I see a small hole on tbe back of the rail ramp exit switch. Is this where the wires go.

20191025_095814 (resized).jpg20191025_095814 (resized).jpg20191025_100323 (resized).jpg20191025_100323 (resized).jpg
#5115 4 years ago

It goes on the switch.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5116 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

It goes on the switch.

Yup. I actually noticed only a few days ago that the exact same wire had broken off of my game as well.

#5117 4 years ago

very good. thx. time to learn how to solder. I wasn't sure if it got attached because there was no solder on the wires. they must have just wrapped the wires around the connection.

#5118 4 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

very good. thx. time to learn how to solder. I wasn't sure if it got attached because there was no solder on the wires. they must have just wrapped the wires around the connection.

They didn't wrap it... it was soldered... but the wire broke between the solder and the insulation. If you look closely at the solder on the switch leg (attached to the diode) you should see some broken strands of wire still there.

#5119 4 years ago

my eyes are what they used to be. Any suggestions for a soldering gun

#5120 4 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

If you search the forum, you'll find several threads on this. I'd say the general opinion is that you can't go wrong with Hakko (see e.g. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-soldering-tool-for-pinballs).

You also need good solder, like Kester 44 rosin core solder 66/44

#5121 4 years ago

It activates with quite a few things. Very well integrated into the game, and I am very glad I put one in. Thumbs up from me.

Quoted from jdroc:

I'm guessing at least:
* selectively in DTR?
* When Barad Dur leans

#5122 4 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Kester 44 rosin core solder 66/44

You may like to give 110%, but Kester 44 is 63/37 or 60/40 as it can only do 100%.

personally I use 60/40, just because I always have; besides, that extra 3% lead aint killed me yet.

#5123 4 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

For playfield coils and switches I use a cheap portable Weller like this one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Weller-WLC100-40-Watt-Soldering-Station/19281561
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AS28UC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1

This should be all you need for now.

#5124 4 years ago
Quoted from jdroc:

I'm guessing at least:
* selectively in DTR?
* When Barad Dur leans

I would not put the standard shaker in, it’s very limited. We offer a shaker setup made by Pinshakers where you can choose your own triggers and set the intensity. You can choose up to 16 triggers (8 at one time) based on flashers or solenoids. No extra chips or software upgrade needed and it runs off its own power supply. I have one in my tspp, works great.

https://lermods.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fwilliamsbally-wpc-full-shaker-motor-kit

You can see the triggers here: http://www.pinshakers.com/docs/sterndipsettings.pdf

#5125 4 years ago

The standard shaker is perfect IMO.

#5126 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

The standard shaker is perfect IMO.

I had the standard in my game and it was good, it's just a bit of work to gather it all up, and there was no other choice. This new kit is much easier, works better, doesn't draw power from the game and is more customizable. And service from Pinshakers is top notch.

#5127 4 years ago

Today I got into ring frenzy and realized, for the first time, how that mode works. So I actually hit each ring shot 3 times to get the max bonus. Once I hit the center, I got 10 million AND lit extra ball. After perusing the rules, I don't see anything about extra ball being a reward for that mode. So how did I get the extra ball? It lit as soon as I got the center ring shot to complete ring frenzy.

The only other ways I can think of to light extra ball are through gifts and barad-dur. This instance was not the gift. The only other way I can see this happening was if I hit barad-dur (for the 7th time) during ring frenzy, and it delayed the extra ball until after I completed the mode. Is this how it works?

#5128 4 years ago

Scoring will award you extra balls at certain intervals.

#5129 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I had the standard in my game and it was good, it's just a bit of work to gather it all up, and there was no other choice. This new kit is much easier, works better, doesn't draw power from the game and is more customizable. And service from Pinshakers is top notch.

What he said.

#5130 4 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

Today I got into ring frenzy and realized, for the first time, how that mode works. So I actually hit each ring shot 3 times to get the max bonus. Once I hit the center, I got 10 million AND lit extra ball. After perusing the rules, I don't see anything about extra ball being a reward for that mode. So how did I get the extra ball? It lit as soon as I got the center ring shot to complete ring frenzy.
The only other ways I can think of to light extra ball are through gifts and barad-dur. This instance was not the gift. The only other way I can see this happening was if I hit barad-dur (for the 7th time) during ring frenzy, and it delayed the extra ball until after I completed the mode. Is this how it works?

I recall In a papa video on getting to valinor there was live stream commentary and Keefer Johnson said there was an extra ball in ring frenzy"with 3 shots",I think what he meant and you confirmed was"3 shots to all 4 of the flashing shots"

I gave up on trying to get the eb on ring frenzyon 3 shots seeing it as just a points mini wizard but to get to valinor I will need all the ebs I can get!!

I think you can get an eb as a random mystery award at the shire as well

#5131 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

I recall In a papa video on getting to valinor there was live stream commentary and Keefer Johnson said there was an extra ball in ring frenzy"with 3 shots",I think what he meant and you confirmed was"3 shots to all 4 of the flashing shots"
I gave up on trying to get the eb on ring frenzyon 3 shots seeing it as just a points mini wizard but to get to valinor I will need all the ebs I can get!!

I might pull the glass off tomorrow and see if it works. Gonna need to squeeze every EB for valinor, like you said

#5132 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

Just pulled the glass off. Confirmed, having a perfect super ring frenzy (hit each ring shot 3 times before hitting the center) lights extra ball.

#5133 4 years ago

Nice although not easy to do as it is a timed mode I think.also the way I play I only have so many of those 4 shots in me before bricking so I might have to save them for ROTK mb!

#5134 4 years ago

I have the shaker from pinball life. It uses the exact same setup as the LOTR LE. Aka game code based. I don't see much point of using anything else in a game it was literally designed for and works perfectly. My .02

#5135 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I have the shaker from pinball life. It uses the exact same setup as the LOTR LE. Aka game code based. I don't see much point of using anything else in a game it was literally designed for and works perfectly. My .02

I can’t recall, but what are the code-based triggers? Balrog hits I believe, what else?

#5136 4 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

Just pulled the glass off. Confirmed, having a perfect super ring frenzy (hit each ring shot 3 times before hitting the center) lights extra ball.

You need to achieve only two ring shots three times and then the ring to get an extra ball light on. If you have all ring shots three times you get 10 m additionally to the extra ball.

#5137 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

You need to achieve only two ring shots three times and then the ring to get an extra ball light on. If you have all ring shots three times you get 10 m additionally to the extra ball.

Oh, awesome. Doesn't sound too hard.

Quoted from pinballjj:

Nice although not easy to do as it is a timed mode I think

It's timed but the clock is reset every time you hit a shot. Not too hard to keep the mode alive IMO.

#5138 4 years ago

2 of the flashing shots 3 times then the ring or 4 flashing 3 times then the ring? , i will gladly take the eb for 6 shots and a ring shot!!!!!!!!
maybe a setting in the menu?

Quoted from Zora:

#5139 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I can’t recall, but what are the code-based triggers? Balrog hits I believe, what else?

The Barad-dur shot and the multiball starts trigger the shaker for instance.

As for the pinshaker kits, I just feel that those are best utilized on games that were not designed to accept shakers. I plan on getting either those or the new pinsound shaker kits for my BSD and Shadow. Stick with the intended setup for games that have the shaker coded in IMO.

#5140 4 years ago

This thread is amazing! I’ve learned so much about LOTR, mods, etc. Thanks to all the folks much more knowledgeable than me.
I’m now in the market for one, preferably a huo LOTR. I’m in the Boston area, but frequently go up to northern Maine, as well as down to Maryland to visit the folks. Have pickup, can travel!
Thanks,
John

#5141 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

2 of the flashing shots 3 times then the ring or 4 flashing 3 times then the ring? , i will gladly take the eb for 6 shots and a ring shot!!!!!!!!
maybe a setting in the menu?

For EB 2 of the flashing shots 3 times, then the ring, if you achieve all flashing 3 times and then th ring, you get additional 10 m , at least in my factory settings.

#5142 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

The Barad-dur shot and the multiball starts trigger the shaker for instance.
As for the pinshaker kits, I just feel that those are best utilized on games that were not designed to accept shakers. I plan on getting either those or the new pinsound shaker kits for my BSD and Shadow. Stick with the intended setup for games that have the shaker coded in IMO.

Totally fair point. It can be intimidating for some people to replace microchips on circuit boards and punching wires into connectors, which is required for nonLE lotr games. For those people, a Pinshaker might be a good option.

#5143 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Totally fair point. It can be intimidating for some people to replace microchips on circuit boards, which is required for nonLE lotr games. For those people, a Pinshaker might be a good option.

That's a good point. It's a great product and I'm glad the option is there for sure.

#5144 4 years ago

I'm finally in the club! Picked up a game over the weekend, got it set up and playing with some tweaks. I've played in on location before but it's a completely different game at home, in a GREAT way.

I installed the PBL LOTR special coils for the flippers, and man, it rockets the ball around. One issue is that a left ramp shot will often send the ball flying, sometimes into the shire, sometimes into the left outlane. Any remedies to this?

Otherwise, I'm going to clean it up and get some new rings installed. It came with a set of Cliffys uninstalled, but I'm going to install them when the topside is torn down, unless there's a reason I shouldn't. Anything else that is a "must have" for this game before I place my parts order? Going to get an LCD OCD board as it has LEDs in it. It also already has FF speakers, ColorDMD, and speaker light kit with the acrylic rings.

#5145 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I installed the PBL LOTR special coils for the flippers, and man, it rockets the ball around. One issue is that a left ramp shot will often send the ball flying, sometimes into the shire, sometimes into the left outlane. Any remedies to this?

I had installed those on my game and took them out after a few days. I found them to be way too strong. I felt like I was launching a wrecking ball at my playfield. I went with the medium strength coils and I think they're perfect - no issues.

#5146 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I had installed those on my game and took them out after a few days. I found them to be way too strong. I felt like I was launching a wrecking ball at my playfield. I went with the medium strength coils and I think they're perfect - no issues.

Do you remember which part number?

#5147 4 years ago

Bought them from APB_Enterprises (Andrew) a couple of years ago I believe. Send him a PM. They were selling on ebay as well but not sure if you can find them there now.

Edit: Here they are -

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1065-apb-enterprises/01414-new-stern-pinball-medium-power-coil-lord-of-the-rings-gnr

#5148 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Quoted from pipes:

Quoted from pipes:

Bought them from apb_enterprises (Andrew) for $12/ea. a couple of years ago I believe. Send him a PM. They were selling on ebay as well but not sure if you can find them there now.

Agreed: the PBL coils are WAY too strong. The apb coils referenced above are perfect for the LOTR.

#5149 4 years ago

I saw the link to his ebay post in another thread. I'll reinstall the original coils for now, and look into getting these some time down the road since it appears that he's away per his ebay posting.

#5150 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

One issue is that a left ramp shot will often send the ball flying, sometimes into the shire, sometimes into the left outlane. Any remedies to this?

Slightly loosening the screws that support the middle of the ramp gives it a little wobble/flex, which absorbs some of the speed and helps somewhat.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 18.95
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,199 posts in this topic. You are on page 103 of 204.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/103 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.