IMG_0841 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0840 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2852 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240315-080536 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240315-080458 (resized).png
IMG_8433.jpeg
IMG_2627 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,137 posts in this topic. You are on page 102 of 203.
#5051 4 years ago

Yup, I get the same.

484392FD-B3FD-4F03-8E4D-8A6CB1521A0D (resized).jpeg484392FD-B3FD-4F03-8E4D-8A6CB1521A0D (resized).jpeg
#5052 4 years ago

Try disconnecting the balrog wiring connector and see whether the switch matrix problems when certain switches are pressed goes away.
Several threads on Pinside have described switch matrix problems when the balrog wiring gets damaged which seems to be a common problem because of the way the wires are routed and ziptied.

#5053 4 years ago

I'll try that and see what happens. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

#5054 4 years ago

I disconnected the balrog molex and sure enough the palantir switch works perfectly now. So, the balrog wiring is damaged somewhere then? I'll take a close look later tonight.

#5055 4 years ago

There is a guy in england that sells new wiring harnesses on ebay but it probably would not be hard to repair.
One other possibility would be reversed connected wires which some Pinside threads mentioned.

#5056 4 years ago

I've got a really weird problem happening in my machine...I can't destroy the ring. Everything else works perfectly. Now normally the problem is the back trough switch behind the ring but that switch is working fine (it makes the score go up during destroy the ring). So I'm really puzzled to why I can't get the final shot to register. The spinner works, the ring switch works, and the back trough switch works...what else is there? Do I need to reset the game to factory and see if that somehow fixes it? I tried both one and two ball, neither worked.

#5057 4 years ago

Hey folks, shopping my LOTR and a bunch of my clear posts with rubber inserts are cracked. Had no luck finding then online (i dont know the part number). Anyone have a lead or is able to 3d print them? I need about a dozen.
Thanks in advance

63946 (resized).jpeg63946 (resized).jpeg63947 (resized).jpeg63947 (resized).jpeg
#5058 4 years ago
Quoted from Digduglus:

Hey folks, shopping my LOTR and a bunch of my clear posts with rubber inserts are cracked. Had no luck finding then online (i dont know the part number). Anyone have a lead or is able to 3d print them? I need about a dozen.
Thanks in advance[quoted image][quoted image]

This?

https://www.pinballlife.com/data-eastsegastern-narrow-plastic-post-1-116-tall.html

#5059 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I've got a really weird problem happening in my machine...I can't destroy the ring. Everything else works perfectly. Now normally the problem is the back trough switch behind the ring but that switch is working fine (it makes the score go up during destroy the ring). So I'm really puzzled to why I can't get the final shot to register. The spinner works, the ring switch works, and the back trough switch works...what else is there? Do I need to reset the game to factory and see if that somehow fixes it? I tried both one and two ball, neither worked.

It is most likely the switch in the trough.
The score going up is probably from the opto switch located on the ring. Put your machine in switch test mode and roll a ball through to be sure that trough switch is working.

#5060 4 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

It is most likely the switch in the trough.
The score going up is probably from the opto switch located on the ring. Put your machine in switch test mode and roll a ball through to be sure that trough switch is working.

Actually, the trough switch is working. I did it with the glass off so I could toggle the trough switch with my hand. So I spin the spinner, hit the ring middle, then toggle the trough switch (which increases the score). Which is I don't quite understand what is going on here.

#5061 4 years ago

Try rolling a ball through?
Just to be sure.

#5062 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I had the same issue not being able to destroy the ring when I first got my game. I had to adjust/bend the arm on the switch behind the back board. I could manually activate the switch but the ball would not. As others mentioned, try rolling a ball through there and see if it registers. My understanding is that the only purpose of this switch is for "Destroy the Ring" to signal when the first ball has been knocked through.

#5064 4 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Try rolling a ball through?
Just to be sure.

I did. I was sitting there in destroy the ring mode with the ball in my hand activating all the switches and verifying the score going up (it doesn't appear like the center ring opto adds score during this mode, but it's still working because you can make it all the way to the final shot). It's really really weird. I was thinking the same thing you were, that the ball wasn't activating it, but when you roll it through plus manually activate it yourself and neither works, then I don't know what's going on. Everything else on the game works.

#5065 4 years ago

I think it would be best to test it in “switch test” You are looking for switch number 48.
It maybe it is wired wrong/crossed or maybe a diode is bad. Look to make sure #48 is reading.

#5066 4 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

I think it would be best to test it in “switch test” You are looking for switch number 48.
It maybe it is wired wrong/crossed or maybe a diode is bad. Look to make sure #48 is reading.

Done that too. Tests fine. That's why I'm really confused on the whole thing, and why I took off the glass to get to the mode so I could see what was happening. I figured it was the ball not hitting that back switch. But when I could increase the score via that switch, I knew something else was wrong.

I should probably take a video showing it all to confuse all of you as well, lol.

#5067 4 years ago

Show a video in test mode looking at the DMD while sending a ball through the trough.

#5068 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

So just researching the sword a bit more. Some other options that you might want to check out. There is this one for $38 ->
amazon.com link »
[quoted image]
It says its actually made of metal, and the sheath has suede and metal on it. If its actually not made of foam/plastic it seems pretty cheap.
What I was really looking for...was something transparent plastic but doesn't look like cheap plastic...so the sword could glow. There is this one for $15 ->
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bilbo-Baggins-Sword-Child-Halloween-Accessory/46302513?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227033798794&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=86487470088&wl4=aud-566049426705:pla-120072458688&wl5=9029555&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=46302513&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItuOH6_755AIVdyCtBh1WRgL0EAQYAyABEgLz_fD_BwE
[quoted image]
I might just order it just to see what it really looks like. I could always return it.
It's battery powered...but I was thinking of just adding some LED lights to the opposite side of the blade to have it always powered on/glowing instead of trying to figure out how to wire the sword from the battery compartment to the pinball machine.

Ok, update time!

First...do not buy the Walmart sword. Its horrible cheap plastic. I picked it up from Walmart, took one second looking at it, and immediately started standing in the return line.

20191009_122911 (resized).jpg20191009_122911 (resized).jpg

However....the amazon sword I linked to above (Anglo Arms)? Its the real deal.

For $38...I was really skeptical about it. The description says that its made of real metal, with metal scabbard with felt, etc. But its much nicer than I thought it was going to be.

It is all metal, nicely made. Has heft to it, a nice shine, though the blade is not sharpened at all (which is nice...don't have to worry about that).

Here it is next to the foam aliexpress sword ->

20191021_153523 (resized).jpg20191021_153523 (resized).jpg

It is shorter than the foam sword...but...that is what sting is supposed to be. Its supposed to be dagger-sized in human hands (its sword length for hobbits).

Here it is mounted...looks much better in person because the blade actually shows reflections ->

20191021_153723 (resized).jpg20191021_153723 (resized).jpg

Probably deserves a better mount...or some kind of display. I just got it today though so haven't put much thought into it.

Whats amazing is that it was sent from England and only cost $38 USD. And we have a bad conversion rate to GBP right now. It weighs a couple of lbs so shipping couldn't have been that cheap. So this sword is like...the equivalent of $15-$20 over there probably.

#5069 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Ok, update time!
First...do not buy the Walmart sword. Its horrible cheap plastic. I picked it up from Walmart, took one second looking at it, and immediately started standing in the return line.
[quoted image]
However....the amazon sword I linked to above (Anglo Arms)? Its the real deal.
For $38...I was really skeptical about it. The description says that its made of real metal, with metal scabbard with felt, etc. But its much nicer than I thought it was going to be.
It is all metal, nicely made. Has heft to it, a nice shine, though the blade is not sharpened at all (which is nice...don't have to worry about that).
Here it is next to the foam aliexpress sword ->
[quoted image]
It is shorter than the foam sword...but...that is what sting is supposed to be. Its supposed to be dagger-sized in human hands (its sword length for hobbits).
Here it is mounted...looks much better in person because the blade actually shows reflections ->
[quoted image]
Probably deserves a better mount...or some kind of display. I just got it today though so haven't put much thought into it.
Whats amazing is that it was sent from England and only cost $38 USD. And we have a bad conversion rate to GBP right now. It weighs a couple of lbs so shipping couldn't have been that cheap. So this sword is like...the equivalent of $15-$20 over there probably.

As for a display stand...something like this might look really good ->

https://www.amazon.com/Easels-Amron-Pistol-Display-HA-66B/dp/B00BR2PSKW/ref=sr_1_14

Though...you are talking $40 just for the display stand including shipping...

#5070 4 years ago

delete

#5071 4 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Show a video in test mode looking at the DMD while sending a ball through the trough.

Here's a video I made showing ring switch stuff like a month ago. As you can see, switches working fine.

At that point, I actually didn't know Destroy the ring wasn't working until my son actually did it and it didn't work multiple times.

#5072 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Here's a video I made showing ring switch stuff like a month ago. As you can see, switches working fine.

At that point, I actually didn't know Destroy the ring wasn't working until my son actually did it and it didn't work multiple times.

Crazy that it is not working...
Have you sent a actual ball through in “switch test mode” with the playfield down in it’s normal position recently?
Has it ever worked correctly?
(I am grasping at this point.)

#5073 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Does the magnet work? Are you set to 2 ball DTR? Maybe the magnet is not working and if you have 2DTR on the system is expecting the ball to get stuck in magnet before you can destroy the ring? Long shot, but you never know...

Edit, if the magnet is not working check the fuse first. I believe it’s fuse is F20, a 4A 250v Slow Blow. Manual has more information on how the magnet works, there’s also a test for the ring magnet

#5074 4 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Does the magnet work? Are you set to 2 ball DTR? Maybe the magnet is not working and if you have 2DTR on the system is expecting the ball to get stuck in magnet before you can destroy the ring? Long shot, but you never know...
Edit, if the magnet is not working check the fuse first. I believe it’s fuse is F20, a 4A 250v Slow Blow. Manual has more information on how the magnet works, there’s also a test for the ring magnet

I've tried both 1 and 2 ball, neither works. Magnet works fine. I think I'm going to have to reset the game to factory settings to see if wiping everything will fix the issue. I feel like there's some sort of bug in the game caused by whatever is setup now. I was actually able to cause some sort of weird bug when testing this all...I got a replay when testing this, DTR ended and the game went back to normal (without actually doing the sequence). Does DTR time out after some period of time? I never thought it did, but maybe it does...the fact that it coincided with the replay makes me think it's a bug.

#5075 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I've tried both 1 and 2 ball, neither works. Magnet works fine. I think I'm going to have to reset the game to factory settings to see if wiping everything will fix the issue. I feel like there's some sort of bug in the game caused by whatever is setup now. I was actually able to cause some sort of weird bug when testing this all...I got a replay when testing this, DTR ended and the game went back to normal (without actually doing the sequence). Does DTR time out after some period of time? I never thought it did, but maybe it does...the fact that it coincided with the replay makes me think it's a bug.

DTR does not time out

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5076 4 years ago

never-mind

#5077 4 years ago

My first pin! I'm in the club. THX Bumgahdna for meeting me half way.-Great Irish Pub. Wait...I'm a poet.
My wife says it can stay in the living room for a little while.

#5078 4 years ago

So I checked/tested my machine.
During Destroy the ring, after getting the 4 ramps, switch #48 scores points. I originally did not think it did(see below) Double checked. I did notice that the Only way to complete DTR was that the spinner had to be recently triggered...
#edited to reflect my stupidity

#5079 4 years ago

My understanding is that switch 48 is literally needed only for one shot in the entire game - to complete DTR. The ball triggers that switch. In every other aspect of gameplay, it does nothing. I'm not sure what you're referring to in terms of scoring.

#5080 4 years ago

#48 switch does add a very small amount of score when trigged.
I recently discovered this....

#5081 4 years ago

LOTR ownership can be so frustrating at times. I'm still dealing with my own issue right now but it seems like it never ends with this game. I have 8 games and nothing gives me more grief. It's just so good when it's working properly though, so I can never get rid of it.

#5082 4 years ago

Just got the game. One shot away from destroying the ring. Quick question about the call outs. In all the times I have played it, which quick frankly I'm getting nothing done around the house, I have not heard Frodo say, "I will take the ring to Mordor although I do not know the way" I assume he says this when you acquire him for fotr. Is this a pinsound mod.

#5083 4 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

Just got the game. One shot away from destroying the ring. Quick question about the call outs. In all the times I have played it, which quick frankly I'm getting nothing done around the house, I have not heard Frodo say, "I will take the ring to Mordor although I do not know the way" I assume he says this when you acquire him for fotr. Is this a pinsound mod.

What version are you running?
You are correct, that call out happens when you collect him for FOTR.

#5084 4 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

I have not heard Frodo say, "I will take the ring to Mordor although I do not know the way" I assume he says this when you acquire him for fotr. Is this a pinsound mod.

If you have PinSound installed, yes.

At least one of the most popular sets of sound files for LOTR on PinSound does not use "I will take the ring to Mordor although I do not know the way". It uses (paraphrasing) "....is it left or right, Gandalf?"

#5085 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

What version are you running?
You are correct, that call out happens when you collect him for FOTR.

I looked in the service menu but say nothing to indicate what version I am running. When you restart the game it does not indicate version either. How do you check for version.

#5086 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

If you have PinSound installed, yes.
At least one of the most popular sets of sound files for LOTR on PinSound does not use "I will take the ring to Mordor although I do not know the way". It uses (paraphrasing) "....is it left or right, Gandalf?"

What do you mean "left or right Gandalf." Like I said I am brand new.

#5087 4 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

So I checked/tested my machine.
During Destroy the ring, after getting the 4 ramps, switch #48 scores points. I originally did not think it did(see below) Double checked. I did notice that the Only way to complete DTR was that the spinner had to be recently triggered...
#edited to reflect my stupidity

Ok, so I think I discovered the issue. DTR switch 48 is timing sensitive, so that's why doing DTR manually doesn't work unless you do it immediately. So if you're doing all three switches in a row, if you don't do them super fast it doesn't work. I think my switch #48 isn't sensitive enough so I need to replace it. The timing thing threw me off, when you can verify all switches are working and still can't make it happen, it makes it really weird.

#5088 4 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

I don't have pinsound and he says the quote.

#5089 4 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

looked in the service menu but say nothing to indicate what version I am running. When you restart the game it does not indicate version either. How do you check for version.

There is a setting for "quick boot" or normal. When your LotR is set to quick boot, you will not see the version at boot up.

#5090 4 years ago

Just saw a Serv Bulletin 157. I wonder if this was ever done on my machine. There are times when the game will make a rather rude sound when the ramp is activated. hmm..

#5091 4 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

There is a setting for "quick boot" or normal. When your LotR is set to quick boot, you will not see the version at boot up.

In what menu is this. I ran through them all and did not see any setting for long or quick boot.

#5092 4 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

In what menu is this. I ran through them all and did not see any setting for long or quick boot.

I think it's standard adjustments/fast boot (item 45)

#5093 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

I don't have pinsound and he says the quote.

Ditto

#5094 4 years ago

When I upgraded my rom to version to 10.2 to install the shaker, Frodo added "...but I do not know the way" . Previous to that (version 8 I believe) he only said " I will take the ring to Mordor", but not the rest of it.

#5095 4 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

If you cannot find the info there, you can look at the ram chip. The version should be written on it.

#5096 4 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

I think it's standard adjustments/fast boot (item 45)

Your good I had no idea there was so much in standard adjustments. So this is what it says. What does it mean.

20191024_073641 (resized).jpg20191024_073641 (resized).jpg
#5097 4 years ago

Im assuming im running ver 5.01. Do i have to update every code since then or can i skip and go right to 10

#5098 4 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

Im assuming im running ver 5.01. Do i have to update every code since then or can i skip and go right to 10

Just install the latest code.

#5099 4 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

Just install the latest code.

Thx. So i down loaded code. Unzipped, and there are about 10 files and a read me. Should i delete read me file before sticking the usb in the pin.

#5100 4 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

Thx. So i down loaded code. Unzipped, and there are about 10 files and a read me. Should i delete read me file before sticking the usb in the pin.

LotR runs the Stern Whitestar boardset which does not yet offer upgrades via USB. So in order to update code you need to physically swap the Game as well as Display ROM (behind the DMD) with a ROM that has the latest code on it. You can either buy or burn the ROM yourself.
Marco or any other pinball shop will do. Be aware you need both Game and Display ROM, latest version is 10.0 or 10.02 Game ROM if you want to run a shaker motor. If you are going for 10.02 you need an additional PAL chip.

Game Rom 10.0: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/EPROM1871
Display 10.0: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/EPROM1873

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
There are 10,137 posts in this topic. You are on page 102 of 203.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/102?hl=red-line and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.