(Topic ID: 286967)

The longer it runs, the better it works. Why?

By zhu808

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Glitchy CPU tosses nonsense up on the display, confuses players, scores, etc. Tosses up random mode animations during gameplay, sticks on certain mode animations, pops up music selection screen etc... The longer I leave the machine running, the better it works. Towards the end of the day, it operates almost flawlessly. What the hell? Seems like it needs to warm up or something. I'm baffled.

What are the possible reasons that this is the case?

I'm trying to figure this out. It would make me infinitely pleased to get this machine working properly (finally).

All help and brainstorming is greatly appreciated!!!

Also, any good recommendations on general pinball repair guidebooks? Explanations of how components work and what they control? Specifically ICs, ROMs, etc. I'm dying to understand everything I'm looking at in the schematics included in my manual. Sadly, this manual leaves a lot to be desired - particularly flow charts for troubleshooting...

Thank you,

z

#2 3 years ago

And the pin you are referencing is.......?

#3 3 years ago

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from zhu808:

What are the possible reasons that this is the case?

Faulty IDE cables, dirty/bad connectors, cracked solder joints, bad ROMs, faulty chip sockets or tarnished chip legs...

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Faulty IDE cables, dirty/bad connectors, cracked solder joints, bad ROMs, faulty chip sockets or tarnished chip legs...

Yes. It's possible prolonged use heats up and slightly expands elements causing their connections to improve.

Maybe think about a re-socketing?

#6 3 years ago

Large DMD Segas have a known issue with power delivery. So if it's just the display you could try this: https://www.pinballlife.com/sega-harness-update-kit-for-192x64-displays.html

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Thanks

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Yes. It's possible prolonged use heats up and slightly expands elements causing their connections to improve.
Maybe think about a re-socketing?

Resocketing ROMs? Already did it. And connectors (most of them).

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from boustrophedonic:

Large DMD Segas have a known issue with power delivery. So if it's just the display you could try this: https://www.pinballlife.com/sega-harness-update-kit-for-192x64-displays.html

Thank you. I have recently installed this kit. This was a week or so ago. Same issues minus intermittent screen blackouts.

#10 3 years ago

Failing electrolytic caps in power supply. They work a little better when warm.

#11 3 years ago

One issue I had with my Baywatch was that there was a cold solder joint on the CPU board connector for the display ribbon cable which caused random resetting of just the display. So you could try reflowing that header.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 36.95
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 259.00
$ 27.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-longer-it-runs-the-better-it-works-why?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.