Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by e4mafia
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

livecatch_fst.gif
    livecatch_slo.gif
    newtons-cradle-motion-24063902.jpg
    lc.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Excalabur.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from kirkgun:

When you do the live catch (and do it absolutely perfectly, such that the ball seems to just stick to the flipper) there is no force transferred to the ball, from the flipper. The flipper actually ~absorbs~ the ball's momentum (kinetic energy). The force of the flipper is not equal to that of the ball. It is negative to that of the ball, and subtracts energy from the ball.

That's not how physics works, dude. "Taking momentum away" is a force in the upward direction on the ball.

IAMA Physicist, so let me work up a proper explanation with math and shit. I've been interested in working this out for a while, so this is as good a time as any. To the whiteboard!

#20 9 years ago

Ok, I have to go out (to the local arcade, and then to Guardians of the Galaxy, which just came out here), but I'll take my notebook on the train. I think I've convinced myself, but my notes would not currently convince anyone else...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Excalabur.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-live-catch-magic-or-physics?tu=Excalabur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.