Topic Stats

• 199 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 73 days ago by Caucasian2Step
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 46 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

flow1 (resized).jpg
realper (resized).jpg
rudycrazed (resized).jpg
mccarthy1 (resized).jpg
NBX (resized).jpg
bias (resized).png
tron lightcycle (resized).jpg
hyperspace80scomp (resized).jpg
eddie (resized).jpg
jjppirates (resized).jpg
gorgar (resized).jpg
transporter (resized).jpg
pinballwizardry (resized).jpg
my prediction (resized).jpg
freefall (resized).jpg
dominywizard (resized).jpg

There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 2 years ago

Merry Christmas! Once you've had enough family time, have a listen to our latest episode: https://soundcloud.com/user-859738069/ep13-jingle-balls

Would really like to hear some other opinions about how to play IJ. Either we're not that sophisticated, or there isn't that much to know.

#102 2 years ago

Also curious to see what you all think of the sound quality. The last two episodes came from a recording session done remotely over Skype.

1 week later
#103 2 years ago

Got the 'pinball wizardry' book -- already upped my game. Stoked.
I wasn't thinking about horizontal vectors correctly. Had to refresh the trig a bit...
-mof

#104 2 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

I'll get some older stuff out there...just give me a little time.
It just so happens that everything I have made prior to TAF is broken at the moment...Bat Cats, Radical, High Speed, Prospector, and Super Flite.
High Speed or Bat Cats will probably be the first trials.
Happy to do a segment about older games that earn. There are a few I know just from asking around!

High Speed is my current restoration project. I have 3 System 11's on route already though. Diner, Police Force, and just last week, Taxi. At .50 a game, I have found that they are pretty popular and very reliable.

I have a few lingering issues that have started to pop up on Police Force, but I'm hoping to bring that one back in for some fixing once HS is ready to go out. PF is not down, but does play differently because sometimes the car works fine (it's the ball lock) and other times it will always stay in the down position so locks can't happen. In that game though, multiball is simply single ball play with 2 balls. Jackpots are done another way. MB tends to be very quick anyway, so nobody really minds.

#105 2 years ago

really want to listen but the sound difference between you both makes it a little hard to listen to in the car - one person sort of soft and the other loud almost crackly.

podcast is on an ipod connected to the stero via a usb cable, many other podcasts work fine.

#106 2 years ago

Friends, if we are offering sound suggestions...

Please re-mix the opening musical number. EQ out the highs and lower the volume. It's tough on the nerves and ear drums. In its current state, as we transition from episode to episode -- it's unbearablely *jarring* like an obnoxiously loud commercial between innings of a peaceful baseball game.

(This is coming from someone who listens to loud (but well-produced) heavy metal...)

-mof

2 weeks later
#107 2 years ago

Now I'd like to offer a more timely sound suggestion:

Please make some sounds.

-mof

#108 2 years ago

You guys should do an episode at the state tourny in a few weeks. I'll even grant you an exclusive interview after I lose and get drunk.

#109 2 years ago

Yes. We have been slack. The short story is that Ryan has been doing the production and Comet LED's is taking up more and more of his time. Expect more to come out soon.

Apologies for the delay, we have not gone away!

C2S

#110 2 years ago

InfiniteLives

Quoted from InfiniteLives:You guys should do an episode at the state tourny in a few weeks. I'll even grant you an exclusive interview after I lose and get drunk.

I'll bring the gear and we will record to the side.

Great idea!

C2S

#111 2 years ago

Thanks for the update...
-mof

#113 2 years ago

Very good sound.

Ryan was farther from the mic - but certainly the EQ range and room space was captured well.

good bass tones...

-mof

#114 2 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Very good sound.
Ryan was farther from the mic - but certainly the EQ range and room space was captured well.
good bass tones...
-mof

We are learning as we go along and what we have learned so far is, we are utter amateurs at this and loving every minute of it! Thank you for tuning in and look for more production from us soon!

C2S

#116 2 years ago

SC was there. Ryan did not want to play it since he had just played it at Dory and time was tight

Thanks again for stoppping over Ryan. Fun times and you are both welcome anytime you are in town. Just give me a heads up.

#117 2 years ago

Do ya'll use Audacity for editing the podcast?

#118 2 years ago
Quoted from DennisK:

Do ya'll use Audacity for editing the podcast?

Yes! Any tips?

#119 2 years ago

Yes, for sound quality and consistency, there is a free plugin that works great (I use it on the Eclectic Gamers Podcast). It is called Compress Dynamics 1.2.6 and can be downloaded here: https://theaudacitytopodcast.com/chriss-dynamic-compressor-plugin-for-audacity/

When installed it will show in your Effects menu in Audacity. What I do is import all the tracks I am going to be working with, select them all, and run the tool on them all upfront, before I do any other editing. Compressors boost quiet sections, limiters quiet loud sections. This does both tasks, hence why it is so useful if audio is coming in at different volumes.

Now, when you run it, you'll have a menu of five options, and that can be confusing. Here is a list of settings that I've seen recommended for podcasts:
Compress ratio: 1.000
Compression hardness: 0.250 - 0.750 (0.650 is a good starting point)
Floor: -32.00
Noise gate falloff: 0.00
Maximum amplitude: 1.000

Here are the current settings I use for EGP:
Compress ratio: 1.000
Compression hardness: 0.250
Floor: -20.00
Noise gate falloff: 0.00
Maximum amplitude: 1.000

Having your compress ratio at 1 will make the levels very consistent. The maximum amplitude of 1 makes the audio loud (so you don't have to crank the volume up to hear things). These two settings will make the biggest difference for you.

Compression hardness determines the dynamic range. Too low and you'll lose soft sounds. Too high and breathing itself can become distracting (due to being too loud). Obviously, I favor risking the soft sounds, but your mileage may vary.

The floor is the point where you want the tool to treat sound as unwanted. Too high (closer to 0) and you may lose soft sounds, too low (like going to -48.00) and you may keep leftover noise you don't want.

Noise gate falloff will determine how the compressor will deal with the sounds below the floor. The current settings do nothing, they stay where they are. If you were to change the 0 value to, say, 2, then it would reduce the audio by a factor of 2. So, let's say you had the recommended value of -32 as your floor. And let's say you had a sound (like setting down a beer bottle) that came in softly at -33. That means the noise gate falloff would be applied. At 0 that means nothing, but at 2 it would reduce you -33 sound by a factor of 2, making it -66 (this is all dB). So, it makes it quieter.

I've not done this yet, but I think I will on our next episode (using a 2 at the -20 floor I've chosen). I'm trying to get rid of keyboard/mouse clicks without manually editing them out to make our sound a bit cleaner than is current.

Anyway, Compress Dynamics is awesome and I think you'll find it very helpful for improving sound quality with next to no time investment added to your project (you just click after choosing the settings and wait a couple minutes for the audio to process).

2 weeks later
#120 2 years ago

Listening to episode 15 tonight and you're discussing the difficulty in finding important information in long Pinside threads.

Key Posts are a fairly new feature on Pinside. If you know of a thread that should be indexed, this thread would be a good place to ask.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/key-posts
If you want to see an example of a thread index try: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

1 week later
#121 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Listening to episode 15 tonight and you're discussing the difficulty in finding important information in long Pinside threads.
Key Posts are a fairly new feature on Pinside. If you know of a thread that should be indexed, this thread would be a good place to ask.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/key-posts
If you want to see an example of a thread index try: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

This is great, thank you. I hadn't really been paying attention to the key posts feature. It would be nice to see a "condensed view" of a thread that shows all (and only) key posts back to back to back...the way you can do the same thing with just posts from a particular user.

#122 2 years ago

Ready to consume episode #16!
-mof

#126 2 years ago

An interview with a career retrospective with Barry Oursler. Check it out!
https://soundcloud.com/user-859738069/dirty-barry-18

dirty barry (resized).jpg

#127 2 years ago

Two in one day. Damn, I'm getting good at this! This is the Colorado State Championsip edition of the LKP.

https://soundcloud.com/user-859738069/episode-19

ifpa (resized).jpg

#128 2 years ago

Nice job on the photoshop mashup. Makes me smile every time I load it up.
Dense episode with one of my heroes -- lots of nuggets in there.
-mof

#129 2 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Nice job on the photoshop mashup. Makes me smile every time I load it up.
Dense episode with one of my heroes -- lots of nuggets in there.
-mof

Barry had that on his facecrack page and sent me to it. Glad you liked the episode. More interviews are on the way!

C2S

#130 2 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

Good Interview, I was wondering if there was a way to make the episode downloadable? Maybe I missed something but cannot download the Barry Oursler Interview episode. Usually I listen to streams from my MP3 radios that I download files directly to. Thanks

#131 2 years ago
Quoted from wiggy07:

Good Interview, I was wondering if there was a way to make the episode downloadable? Maybe I missed something but cannot download the Barry Oursler Interview episode. Usually I listen to streams from my MP3 radios that I download files directly to. Thanks

you should be able to d/l it from https://player.fm/series/little-kings-pinball-podcast

2 weeks later
#133 2 years ago

Chuck - Comes from a nickname in high-school. Had a retreat junior year that the people running it were not affiliated with the school and thus, didn't know us. They made us all wear name tags so they could learn our names. We all made up names. Mine was chuck. Stuck for the rest of high-school

Wurt - Family nickname. My last name is Wurtenberger. My first name is Erik.

When I first set up AOL IM on my computer, my username was chuckwurt. that has been my handle everywhere ever since.

New show was great. TPF sounds like it is so much fun!

1 week later
#134 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

My last name is Wurtenberger. My first name is Erik.

I totally knew this, just not on the spot like that.

If you're ever in Colorado, please let me know. We must duel!

#135 2 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

I totally knew this, just not on the spot like that.
If you're ever in Colorado, please let me know. We must duel!

Only if I get your shirt when I win.

Wife wants to go see sts9 at red rocks in September. Might have to take her up on it. I'll be in touch.

#136 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Only if I get your shirt when I win.
Wife wants to go see sts9 at red rocks in September. Might have to take her up on it. I'll be in touch.

Keep us informed, We can give you "The tour".

#137 2 years ago

that $10 game against DNO was insane. So close, I thought I had him!

#138 2 years ago

I think the little kings need to do an interview with Dave

Maybe also something with Escher soon?

1 week later
#139 2 years ago

A long form interview with the one and only Roger Sharpe. School is in session. Check it out!

https://soundcloud.com/user-859738069/the-roger-sharpe-interview-pt1
https://soundcloud.com/user-859738069/episode-22-the-roger-sharpe-interview-part2

Rogersaves (resized).jpg

Roger1 (resized).png

#140 2 years ago

Not sure if it's on my end....can't get either part to load/play....but EP 20 plays fine.....?!.............Joey

#141 2 years ago

A long form interview with the one and only Roger Sharpe. School is in session. Check it out!

You really need to work on your audio. I had to crank up my speakers to hear Roger, then I'd hear a large bang in the background.. Hell, I had it turned up so loud I could hear your cat's jingling collar and purring.

Loved the interview though.. But I'm just trying to wrap my mind around Roger sitting on the phone for a 6 hour interview (with a lunch break). Also Part 2 seems to be the first 2 hours of part 1? I'm assuming the whole interview is 4 hours?

#142 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

But I'm just trying to wrap my mind around Roger sitting on the phone for a 6 hour interview (with a lunch break).

I had planned on dropping my kids off with Grandpa Roger after the interview was done ... It was hilarious when him taking them for lunch turned into him taking them for dinner

#143 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

You really need to work on your audio. I had to crank up my speakers to hear Roger, then I'd hear a large bang in the background.. Hell, I had it turned up so loud I could hear your cat's jingling collar and purring.
Loved the interview though.. But I'm just trying to wrap my mind around Roger sitting on the phone for a 6 hour interview (with a lunch break). Also Part 2 seems to be the first 2 hours of part 1? I'm assuming the whole interview is 4 hours?

This interview kicked my ass.

I will be re-editing the second part to try to make it better, but even then... the environment did not help and my toolset to record this opportunity is limited. Frustrating to say the least, but each episode is a learning process and I'm moving forward with each session.

#144 2 years ago

the environment did not help and my toolset to record this opportunity is limited

There are ways to help eliminate bad audio from the start. I imagine you probably recorded everything live (IE you recorded yourself, and recorded Roger on a speakerphone). There are a few ways to get better guest audio:
1. Have callers call into skype, and record both sides directly on computer (at least their audio will be clearer even if your background noise overlaps) using something like free skype recorder:
http://www.ifree-recorder.com

2. Use a free service like zencaster that records directly from the web:
https://zencastr.com

3. If your guest is willing, have them record locally, save the mp3 file to dropbox, and then mix in their audio with your audio.. That way if something bumps really bad on your end, you have the option to re-record yourself since the tracks are separated.

#145 2 years ago

I am digging into the interview - thank you for recording it!

I have experimented with multiple ways of recording audio interviews and there's one I would recommend above all others.

Google Hangouts was convenient with Hangouts on Air - you could export directly to an mp4 and edit that in Audacity. I had one flub interview where I recorded without headphones. That didn't work out so well as the echo was atrocious for a little bit.

Eventually, I was tired of asking folks to set up some funky computer setup just so we could record interviews - they were already taking time out of their lives to humor me.

I use Skype out - the $3/month service that allows you to call any phone via the Skype app. Then I use a free application called Amolto Call Recorder. It automatically splits the audio into a 'your side', 'their side' and 'mixed' tracks as mp3 files, which you can then edit directly in Audacity. I eventually ponied up for the pay version of Amolto because it is such a good app.

It has saved so much frustration and headache.

You can hear some examples on interviews conducted over the last year on my podcast, if you like.

Thanks again for the interview!

#146 2 years ago

Episode 22 is labeled part 2 of the interview but it's actually part one.

Episode 21 appears to be the entire interview.

http://feeds.soundcloud.com/stream/320190598-user-859738069-episode-22-the-roger-sharpe-interview-part2.mp3

1 week later
#147 2 years ago

Our Newest episode is up now! We have the Championship father and son team of Adam and Escher Lefkoff who took time out of their busy schedule to sit down with The Little Kings and wax pin-philosophical. We recorded this in the bottom of Lyons Classic Pinball and had a great time talking about lots of different things all related to this game of pinball that we love so much!

Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/user-859738069/episode-23

mcescher (resized).jpg

#148 2 years ago

Was the interviewer eating lunch during the this interview?

#149 2 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

Was the interviewer eating lunch during the this interview?

Nope. Just dealing with minimal tech.

Hope I didn't make ya hungry.

1 month later
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
6,650 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lehigh Valley, PA
There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside