(Topic ID: 192155)

The Leftovers - WTF? (gonna miss it and discussion)

By Colsond3

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic poll

“What did you think of the show?”

• Excellent 9 votes
    38%
  • Good 7 votes
    29%
  • Just OK 5 votes
    21%
  • Horrible 3 votes
    13%

(24 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xxvii.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 1 year ago

Definitely an incredible show. My feeling is that while I loved Nora's story at the end and how it seemed to make sense of the whole Departure thing, it really was just a story. She didn't travel to the other side and meet her family. She chickened out at the last second and then hid from Kevin in Australia until he finally found her.

The theme of the last episode seemed to be about pretty lies, that if you thought about them long enough or learned enough facts, would start to unravel themselves and you find their ugly truths. The wedding guests are told the doves released with their wedding wishes will fly all over the world, but they can't actually fly more than 50 miles. Nora's in on that scam. The nun that she works with has taken a vow of celibacy for her faith, but she's secretly sleeping with the priest. Kevin claims he happened to run into Nora on vacation in Australia and only now has a chance to ask her to a dance that he tormented himself over not doing for twenty years, but he was really just too afraid to confront with the baggage of their past.

Nora claimed she went to the other side, the Departed were there, found her family were living happily back in her old house, then found the scientist to make another machine and send her back. If the scientist had made his way over in the first place, don't you think there would have been some sort of worldwide effort on that side to build a new machine to send everyone that wanted to go back? How would Nora have been able to convince him to build that machine when the rest of the world couldn't? How would she afford for him to build that machine? I don't think these were oversights on the story writers' parts, but intentionally designed flaws to make us as the audience eventually doubt her tale when we processed it for ourselves.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Definitely. So many different turns, and I think Wayne's power of "hugging the pain away" was bs. But then again, Kevin turned out to be an archangel or "savior" of sorts, so I guess anything could mean anything. I don't think the dud apocalypse was a dud...I think it was averted by Kevin actually nuking the other world. But was that world where the other 2% went, or was that in his head? (which goes back to my first question...in that if he nuked that, wouldn't Nora's Departed family have been dead by the time she got there?)

I think the show was about how we as humans try to find meaning in things even if there isn't any. There are a lot of unexplained supernatural events in the show that never get a good explanation, but there are also a lot of things that just seem to be supernatural that really aren't. Like in the first season, Kevin spots a deer with a shining light between its antlers, like the Jaegermeister logo, but later on discovers that it's just a deer that has a balloon tangled in its antlers. I think Kevin's whole messiah substory is just an example of mysterious phenomena that has no meaning, especially since we learn that later in life Kevin suffers from a major heart attack, but Matt deified him and began writing a new religious text about him like he was witnessing the next Jesus. Similarly, when Matt starts accepting the man on the boat's pretense for being God, he begs God to tell him the meaning of the Departure only to be mocked with laughter and told "because I can" and then watch him get mauled by a lion when the boat docks.

I think the dud apocalypse was just an assumption on the world's part that the first Departure was a religious event and there would be a second Departure in seven years, based on Revelation in the Bible. Kevin dying and coming back over and over may not have been supernatural either. Perhaps his body is just much better suited than most to survive multiple drownings, gunshots, poison, etc. and his trips to that weird dead world are just his brain misfiring from being in near death states. In other words, he and his father didn't save the world, because there was no second event that they stopped.

Quoted from Colsond3:

I always felt shortchanged by Lost... And just saying they were really dead the whole time was just too easy, and didn't fit.

It's been a long time since I watched Lost, but I had a different impression by the explanation at the end. I don't think Jack's father said that everyone was dead the whole time, just that they were dead in the side-flash timeline. Everything else from all previous seasons DID happen in the real world, including the non-side-flash stuff like the epic final battle between Jack and Locke. The side-flash timeline was a purgatory of sorts outside of linear time, so even though all the Lost passengers died at different times in the real world, they all arrived in purgatory together and would move on to what's next together because they weren't bound by time. I think Jack's father said that the reason they were all together in the purgatory was because they all experienced the most profound moments of their lives together. Something like that at least. Maybe I completely misunderstood.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Amazing show. Emotionally draining but simply stunning performances and a great plot.
Regarding the 'lack' of answers: The show wasn't about the Departure - it was about the Leftovers; the broken shattered people trying to make sense of life. There was never going to be an explanation for everything, and ironically that's what the characters grapple with for 3 seasons. Love, loss, anger, cults, addiction, religion etc. are all born and killed by life happenings, even in our own world - the Departure was yet another bump in the road of human history where no answers were available to make sense of life.

This is a perfect summary for the show.

Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

The Leftovers has been one of the highest rated and acclaimed shows for three seasons. It is easily one of the best human dramas I have ever watched, although it is wildly depressing. I would highly recommend you give it a fair shot - it is a very short series in the grand scheme.

I barely watch any TV. I cancelled cable about ten years ago and didn't look back. I refuse to waste my time with anything but the best television has to offer and I'd definitely put The Leftovers in my top 10 series list. When I first started watching, I was intrigued but I didn't know why because I didn't know what to make of it, but eventually it hooked me, and it was well worth the ride.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 19.95
Apparel - Women
Pinball Wheezer
$ 28.00
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Deadpool Premium Out of stock
Flip N Out Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 189.99
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 44.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xxvii.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside