(Topic ID: 192155)

The Leftovers - WTF? (gonna miss it and discussion)

By Colsond3

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic poll

“What did you think of the show?”

• Excellent 9 votes
    36%
  • Good 7 votes
    28%
  • Just OK 5 votes
    20%
  • Horrible 4 votes
    16%

(25 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mskoenen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 6 years ago

But was that what really happened? Her story about her journey to the other world could have been just that; a story. The scene where she supposedly goes through the process to send her wherever "they" went cuts off right as she's about to yell something. Perhaps she chickened out, perhaps the whole thing was a hoax, and perhaps she actually went on the journey she described. She was obviously a deeply troubled woman. She was torn between loving and missing her Departed family, and loving and wanting to be with her new family. Maybe she made up that story about gaining closure on her Departed family (either consciously or subconsciously) in order to come to finally reconcile the loss of her children and husband.

Throughout the series, we learned never to take anything at face value. Wayne's power of "hugging the pain away" seems very mystical but believable in a world where 2% of the world's population just vanishes. But when Tom and Laurie start using it in season two, he says that it was always just bullshit. Same with John Murphy's ability to talk to people's dead relatives, when that ends up just being Laurie Facebook stalking people and talking to him through an earpiece. Same with what ended up being a dud apocalypse in season 3. So I don't truly trust Nora's story, but I'm also not dismissing it as a fabrication of a troubled mind.

I don't think anything was ever truly explained fully, and I think that's a beautiful storytelling technique. This show left me with so many questions in a delightful way!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mskoenen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-leftovers-wtf-gonna-miss-it-and-discussion?tu=mskoenen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.