(Topic ID: 192155)

The Leftovers - WTF? (gonna miss it and discussion)

By Colsond3

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic poll

“What did you think of the show?”

• Excellent 9 votes
    36%
  • Good 7 votes
    28%
  • Just OK 5 votes
    20%
  • Horrible 4 votes
    16%

(25 votes)

#1 6 years ago

Just finished watching Season 3 last night (too busy to watch real time). What a great freakin show...just wanted to see if anybody else on here watched and loved it.

Like every good show, this one came to an end way too early. But unlike Lost and other previous shows I've watched and got submerged in, at least Lindelof answered some questions. A great ending IMO, and Max Richter's music was just so ridiculously, wonderfully and morbidly fitting throughout this project. And you gotta love the string rendition of Wherever I May Roam playing during Laurie's attempted overdose / transition into the Guilty Remnant.

So what the hell was the cause of the Departure? God? And where the hell were they supposed to be where Kevin was President? And if he nuked that world or caused "the end" while he was there in the last episode, wouldn't Nora's kids have been dead and possibly Nora?

If this thread goes nowhere, so be it. Just thought the series was awesome in case anybody else wanted to kick it around.

#2 6 years ago

I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the rec.

#3 6 years ago

The end made it good for me. After the first season I was worried it would be a mess of a show, but the ending tied everything up nicely. Interesting show and storyline.

#4 6 years ago

Warning, spoilers here, so don't read this post if you don't want to know how it ended!!! It was a great show all three seasons, but I hate that they sewed up what caused the departures which had been an intense 3 season mystery, with a mere two minute explanation from Nora. Instead of wasting the fantasy world episode with Kevin as President I wish they would have used that episode to show Nora going to the parallel Earth that apparently split apart from our Earth or vice versa. She found the missing two percent including her family, but because her husband was with another woman, she never contacted them. Instead, she tracked down the guy who invented the machine and talked him into building another so that she could go back. And then what does she do? She goes into self imposed exile as a bird lady and doesn't tell her story to the world. She was a very stron woman and now she's hiding from Kevin? Just crazy. There were so many other awesome things in the series though that I'm still happy I watched it.

#5 6 years ago

^^^^^ This, I thought that the show was great though!

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from taz:

with a mere two minute explanation from Nora. Instead of wasting the fantasy world episode with Kevin as President I wish they would have used that episode to show Nora going to the parallel Earth that apparently split apart from our Earth or vice versa.

I didn't really see that as an explanation, but I'm definitely going back to at least watch the last episode again (always have to with shows like this). I didn't take it as the Earth "split" from ours, or the actual explanation of how/why that happened. But when I saw the title of the last episode, I definitely thought they were going to show what happened after she went into the machine, and I agree...they should have showed the alternate world or what she described. I think that was part of it though after all the crazy shit Kevin did or went through. That he had to have faith and take Nora's word that what she experienced was real or actually what happened.

Quoted from taz:

She found the missing two percent including her family, but because her husband was with another woman, she never contacted them.

And I heard her say that about her kids more grown up and her husband, but I didn't hear her say there was another woman. Definitely going to have to watch the last one again. I'm sure I missed other things.

#7 6 years ago

But was that what really happened? Her story about her journey to the other world could have been just that; a story. The scene where she supposedly goes through the process to send her wherever "they" went cuts off right as she's about to yell something. Perhaps she chickened out, perhaps the whole thing was a hoax, and perhaps she actually went on the journey she described. She was obviously a deeply troubled woman. She was torn between loving and missing her Departed family, and loving and wanting to be with her new family. Maybe she made up that story about gaining closure on her Departed family (either consciously or subconsciously) in order to come to finally reconcile the loss of her children and husband.

Throughout the series, we learned never to take anything at face value. Wayne's power of "hugging the pain away" seems very mystical but believable in a world where 2% of the world's population just vanishes. But when Tom and Laurie start using it in season two, he says that it was always just bullshit. Same with John Murphy's ability to talk to people's dead relatives, when that ends up just being Laurie Facebook stalking people and talking to him through an earpiece. Same with what ended up being a dud apocalypse in season 3. So I don't truly trust Nora's story, but I'm also not dismissing it as a fabrication of a troubled mind.

I don't think anything was ever truly explained fully, and I think that's a beautiful storytelling technique. This show left me with so many questions in a delightful way!

#8 6 years ago

Definitely. So many different turns, and I think Wayne's power of "hugging the pain away" was bs. But then again, Kevin turned out to be an archangel or "savior" of sorts, so I guess anything could mean anything. I don't think the dud apocalypse was a dud...I think it was averted by Kevin actually nuking the other world. But was that world where the other 2% went, or was that in his head? (which goes back to my first question...in that if he nuked that, wouldn't Nora's Departed family have been dead by the time she got there?)

Quoted from mskoenen:

I don't think anything was ever truly explained fully, and I think that's a beautiful storytelling technique. This show left me with so many questions in a delightful way!

And nothing was explained fully, but it came to an end with some understanding and made at least some sense. I always felt shortchanged by Lost, given that the writers' strike killed that show and made them end 4 seasons early. Lost was fully written at 10 seasons, but then the strike made them chop it down to 6. And you could tell...everything was rushed and nothing at all explained. And just saying they were really dead the whole time was just too easy, and didn't fit.

#9 6 years ago

Definitely an incredible show. My feeling is that while I loved Nora's story at the end and how it seemed to make sense of the whole Departure thing, it really was just a story. She didn't travel to the other side and meet her family. She chickened out at the last second and then hid from Kevin in Australia until he finally found her.

The theme of the last episode seemed to be about pretty lies, that if you thought about them long enough or learned enough facts, would start to unravel themselves and you find their ugly truths. The wedding guests are told the doves released with their wedding wishes will fly all over the world, but they can't actually fly more than 50 miles. Nora's in on that scam. The nun that she works with has taken a vow of celibacy for her faith, but she's secretly sleeping with the priest. Kevin claims he happened to run into Nora on vacation in Australia and only now has a chance to ask her to a dance that he tormented himself over not doing for twenty years, but he was really just too afraid to confront with the baggage of their past.

Nora claimed she went to the other side, the Departed were there, found her family were living happily back in her old house, then found the scientist to make another machine and send her back. If the scientist had made his way over in the first place, don't you think there would have been some sort of worldwide effort on that side to build a new machine to send everyone that wanted to go back? How would Nora have been able to convince him to build that machine when the rest of the world couldn't? How would she afford for him to build that machine? I don't think these were oversights on the story writers' parts, but intentionally designed flaws to make us as the audience eventually doubt her tale when we processed it for ourselves.

#10 6 years ago

This show was amazing. There is room for sequels.

It made me like some of the characters I initially disliked. As the seasons progressed.

My favorite character is the girl who lost her family. My opinion of her changed after my stroke and three brain surgeries.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from XXVII:

don't you think there would have been some sort of worldwide effort on that side to build a new machine to send everyone that wanted to go back? How would Nora have been able to convince him to build that machine when the rest of the world couldn't? How would she afford for him to build that machine? I don't think these were oversights on the story writers' parts, but intentionally designed flaws to make us as the audience eventually doubt her tale when we processed it for ourselves.

I hadn't really processed it that way myself yet...I did pick up on there being a lot of lies and exaggerations in the last episode. While I did question how she convinced the guy to build the second machine or how she paid him to use it, I didn't really even think why wouldn't other people have used it to come back. That's what happens when you watch any kind of meaningful TV at 1am. But I watched the 7th episode and had to dive right into the 8th.

#13 6 years ago

I had to watch the 8th episode twice. It was worth it. A nice wrap up with openings for more, IMO.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I had to watch the 8th episode twice. It was worth it. A nice wrap up with openings for more, IMO.

Yeah, definitely have to watch the 8th again...I barreled through the remaining 4 episodes last night.

#15 6 years ago

Too fucking weird. I only made it thru about the first 3 episodes.

I have high standards for shows these days, and very little time for them, so it's gotta be damn good.

I just felt like this show was about, "let's see how fucking weird we can make this show and roll with it!".

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

I just felt like this show was about, "let's see how fucking weird we can make this show and roll with it!".

Yes....or another way of putting it is "Damon Lindelof." He's the reason I just skipped this one altogether

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Definitely. So many different turns, and I think Wayne's power of "hugging the pain away" was bs. But then again, Kevin turned out to be an archangel or "savior" of sorts, so I guess anything could mean anything. I don't think the dud apocalypse was a dud...I think it was averted by Kevin actually nuking the other world. But was that world where the other 2% went, or was that in his head? (which goes back to my first question...in that if he nuked that, wouldn't Nora's Departed family have been dead by the time she got there?)

I think the show was about how we as humans try to find meaning in things even if there isn't any. There are a lot of unexplained supernatural events in the show that never get a good explanation, but there are also a lot of things that just seem to be supernatural that really aren't. Like in the first season, Kevin spots a deer with a shining light between its antlers, like the Jaegermeister logo, but later on discovers that it's just a deer that has a balloon tangled in its antlers. I think Kevin's whole messiah substory is just an example of mysterious phenomena that has no meaning, especially since we learn that later in life Kevin suffers from a major heart attack, but Matt deified him and began writing a new religious text about him like he was witnessing the next Jesus. Similarly, when Matt starts accepting the man on the boat's pretense for being God, he begs God to tell him the meaning of the Departure only to be mocked with laughter and told "because I can" and then watch him get mauled by a lion when the boat docks.

I think the dud apocalypse was just an assumption on the world's part that the first Departure was a religious event and there would be a second Departure in seven years, based on Revelation in the Bible. Kevin dying and coming back over and over may not have been supernatural either. Perhaps his body is just much better suited than most to survive multiple drownings, gunshots, poison, etc. and his trips to that weird dead world are just his brain misfiring from being in near death states. In other words, he and his father didn't save the world, because there was no second event that they stopped.

Quoted from Colsond3:

I always felt shortchanged by Lost... And just saying they were really dead the whole time was just too easy, and didn't fit.

It's been a long time since I watched Lost, but I had a different impression by the explanation at the end. I don't think Jack's father said that everyone was dead the whole time, just that they were dead in the side-flash timeline. Everything else from all previous seasons DID happen in the real world, including the non-side-flash stuff like the epic final battle between Jack and Locke. The side-flash timeline was a purgatory of sorts outside of linear time, so even though all the Lost passengers died at different times in the real world, they all arrived in purgatory together and would move on to what's next together because they weren't bound by time. I think Jack's father said that the reason they were all together in the purgatory was because they all experienced the most profound moments of their lives together. Something like that at least. Maybe I completely misunderstood.

#18 6 years ago

All in all very thought provoking. I liked the first season and the third season. In hindsight season two was nessesary but I did not enjoy it. I liked the season three episode about the guy in the tower. The lie.

#19 6 years ago

Amazing show. Emotionally draining but simply stunning performances and a great plot.

Regarding the 'lack' of answers: The show wasn't about the Departure - it was about the Leftovers; the broken shattered people trying to make sense of life. There was never going to be an explanation for everything, and ironically that's what the characters grapple with for 3 seasons. Love, loss, anger, cults, addiction, religion etc. are all born and killed by life happenings, even in our own world - the Departure was yet another bump in the road of human history where no answers were available to make sense of life.

Quoted from turbo20lbs:

I have high standards for shows these days, and very little time for them, so it's gotta be damn good.

The Leftovers has been one of the highest rated and acclaimed shows for three seasons. It is easily one of the best human dramas I have ever watched, although it is wildly depressing. I would highly recommend you give it a fair shot - it is a very short series in the grand scheme.

Quoted from Colsond3:

I always felt shortchanged by Lost, given that the writers' strike killed that show and made them end 4 seasons early. Lost was fully written at 10 seasons, but then the strike made them chop it down to 6. And you could tell...everything was rushed and nothing at all explained. And just saying they were really dead the whole time was just too easy, and didn't fit.

They weren't dead the whole time. Not even maybe.

Quoted from XXVII:

It's been a long time since I watched Lost, but I had a different impression by the explanation at the end. I don't think Jack's father said that everyone was dead the whole time, just that they were dead in the side-flash timeline. Everything else from all previous seasons DID happen in the real world, including the non-side-flash stuff like the epic final battle between Jack and Locke. The side-flash timeline was a purgatory of sorts outside of linear time, so even though all the Lost passengers died at different times in the real world, they all arrived in purgatory together and would move on to what's next together because they weren't bound by time. I think Jack's father said that the reason they were all together in the purgatory was because they all experienced the most profound moments of their lives together. Something like that at least. Maybe I completely misunderstood.

Nailed it

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Amazing show. Emotionally draining but simply stunning performances and a great plot.
Regarding the 'lack' of answers: The show wasn't about the Departure - it was about the Leftovers; the broken shattered people trying to make sense of life. There was never going to be an explanation for everything, and ironically that's what the characters grapple with for 3 seasons. Love, loss, anger, cults, addiction, religion etc. are all born and killed by life happenings, even in our own world - the Departure was yet another bump in the road of human history where no answers were available to make sense of life.

This is a perfect summary for the show.

The Leftovers has been one of the highest rated and acclaimed shows for three seasons. It is easily one of the best human dramas I have ever watched, although it is wildly depressing. I would highly recommend you give it a fair shot - it is a very short series in the grand scheme.

I barely watch any TV. I cancelled cable about ten years ago and didn't look back. I refuse to waste my time with anything but the best television has to offer and I'd definitely put The Leftovers in my top 10 series list. When I first started watching, I was intrigued but I didn't know why because I didn't know what to make of it, but eventually it hooked me, and it was well worth the ride.

#21 6 years ago

I heard people saying The Leftovers was excellent, but I'm only a few episodes in and I'm struggling to get into the show. Is it really worth hanging in there? (Note: I have not read any comments above in case of spoilers).

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

And where the hell were they supposed to be where Kevin was President?

Kevin could see the people who had died there, so that's how he knew that Nora was not incinerated. That's why he kept looking for her on earth all those years.

Kevin nuked the place, so he could never return and in effect, became mortal again.

#23 6 years ago

The thoughts of our posts in this thread shows the genius of the show. Three people could watch it and come away with different results. I think the half answers and very slight supernatural air about the show was clever. Enough was left to our imaginations to keep numerous possible plot angles open.

The best parts to me were the crazy little side twists, like: Kevin's dad falling on and killing the guy in Australia that he desperately needed info from, the odd girl that was Kevin's daughter's friend in season 1 unless she was she an angel or just pure imagination, Nora paying hookers to shoot her in the chest for thrills, the Preacher finding a way to get the money to save his Church but getting hit in the head on the way there and missing the deadline because he tried to do a good deed, the National Geographic magazine episode with Kevin's crazy Dad, Gary Busey being a departed at the same time as the Pope, the Preacher helping Kevin bury Pattie in a shallow grave without blinking an eye or asking a single question, the Alcohol Tobacco Firearms adding Cults to its name, the wax dummies caper by the Guilty Remnant, etc.

Oh, and I almost forgot Kevin's Dad limping along in the desert after getting thrown out of the ambulance, almost getting a ride but the guy burned himself up, followed by Dad planning to eat a poisonous snake to keep from starving, but getting bitten instead, just to wake up in someone's house as the ladies were drowning the Sheriff cause they had the 'wrong' Kevin. I could go on and on. Those plot points and so many others are why the series was so awesome.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

I heard people saying The Leftovers was excellent, but I'm only a few episodes in and I'm struggling to get into the show. Is it really worth hanging in there? (Note: I have not read any comments above in case of spoilers).

Do not read anything else on this thread LOL, and stick with it. It is a relatively short series compared to others as people have said, and you will not be disappointed. At least you shouldn't be.

#25 6 years ago

And definitely on this. The show was a friggin emotional roller coaster every episode. Great acting.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Kevin could see the people who had died there, so that's how he knew that Nora was not incinerated. That's why he kept looking for her on earth all those years.
Kevin nuked the place, so he could never return and in effect, became mortal again.

And yeah, that's how it was described, as Kevin was cutting the nuke key out of himself, or in essence, his twin brother. What was the place...an alternate earth, heaven, purgatory, or just something in his head? And was that the place where the departed people went, or somewhere else?

#27 6 years ago

Show was really messed up. I watched it, but not sure exactly how much I enjoyed it. It kept me coming back, but it was so damn unsettling, especially with the creepy ass music choices!

#28 6 years ago

My favorite show ever. This one grabbed me by the heartstrings and never let go.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Show was really messed up. I watched it, but not sure exactly how much I enjoyed it. It kept me coming back, but it was so damn unsettling, especially with the creepy ass music choices!

Max Richter rules! Haha. Great composer. Look up "November". One of the best pieces throughout the show. It was also playing in the last episode of the first season when the girl holding hands with Tom and Jill at the school doing the electric conductivity experiment departed. And I believe when Kevin was "tagging" the hot girl that hit the deer right before she departed.

Quoted from pinlawyer:

My favorite show ever. This one grabbed me by the heartstrings and never let go.

And definitely. Watching Nora's children depart was especially hard, having a 4 year-old daughter myself and even remotely imagining what that would be like.

#30 6 years ago

Watching Episode 8 again. Nora and that friggin bike.

Really paying attention though, they made her face and skin kind of flaky and spotted, and aged way more than Kevin. I think they were trying to show that perhaps she had suffered radiation damage / poisoning from the machine.

They are also playing November when Nora is rescuing the goat stuck on the fence.

#31 6 years ago

I heard an old Regina Spektor song in Season 2 and fell in love with her all over again.

#32 6 years ago

This show was reminded me of John from Cincinnati. Just ridiculously bad.

#33 6 years ago

great show. The guys on Reddit have really dissected the show as a whole and specifically the finale. Worth checking out for those that have already watched them all. My first watch of the finale had me thinking one thing until I saw it broken down. The next time I watched it I changed my opinion on whether or not I thought her story was true...

Agree though that the music and acting were the best parts of the show.

#34 6 years ago

I was laughing my ass off when I read this in the Reddit thread.

"Also the departed were lucky enough to possibly get new episodes of Perfect Strangers."

#35 6 years ago

More from Reddit...and wow, there is a ridiculous amount of discussion in that thread, I just completely hate the format of that site. It gives you a headache to look at it, and that speaks volumes given that I read law books all day.

"This is what makes me doubtful of Nora's story. That physicist having the means to produce another machine that complicated is far-fetched given the resources and custom fabrication involved, and those skills being present in the 2%.

Nora discussing air travel: "They had the resources, but not the pilots."

Also, side note, Boeing has 147,683 employees. If 98% of them disappeared, you would still have 3,000 people with all of the collective knowledge of The Boeing Company and all of its machinery, fabrication plants, and planes hanging around."

#37 6 years ago

Damon Lindelof of Leftovers is rumored to be involved in a future Watchman series for HBO.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/78061

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Damon Lindelof of Leftovers is rumored to be involved in a future Watchman series for HBO.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/78061

I saw that. I actually started watching Season One Episode 1 of The Leftovers again tonight. LOL. Going to do it all over again over the next month or two and see things I didn't pick up on the first time around. Did the same thing with all six seasons of Lost.

Watching the first episode and The Departure again after so long and knowing what's to come of the characters was friggin weird. I did remember Kevin sneaking the cigarettes under the mailbox during his jog. From there to Melbourne was such a long journey.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I saw that. I actually started watching Season One Episode 1 of The Leftovers again tonight. LOL. Going to do it all over again over the next month or two and see things I didn't pick up on the first time around. Did the same thing with all six seasons of Lost.
Watching the first episode and The Departure again after so long and knowing what's to come of the characters was friggin weird. I did remember Kevin sneaking the cigarettes under the mailbox during his jog. From there to Melbourne was such a long journey.

Sounds like fun. I tried to research the original novels online and it appears there was only one. I wonder if it covered the whole series or only the first season? The weird stuff in the first season, of which there was a lot, seemed more exciting to me than the later seasons, other than Kevin's Dad in the desert in season 3. The folks behind Leftovers clearly have a winning show dynamic for future series. I hope the Watchmen rumor is true.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Watching Episode 8 again. Nora and that friggin bike.
Really paying attention though, they made her face and skin kind of flaky and spotted, and aged way more than Kevin. I think they were trying to show that perhaps she had suffered radiation damage / poisoning from the machine.
They are also playing November when Nora is rescuing the goat stuck on the fence.

I read somewhere that her bike in Australia was the same one she rode in season 2. I wonder how she got it moved?

By the way, does anyone have a good explanation or guess for why Nora threw the rock through the neighbors' window in season 2? They seemed to be getting along just fine.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I read somewhere that her bike in Australia was the same one she rode in season 2.

Have to check the serial number on the frame to be sure.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-leftovers-wtf-gonna-miss-it-and-discussion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.