(Topic ID: 60463)

The LCD discussion thread

By trilogybeer

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Here it is a thread to talk about LCD screens and their future with pinball . Many people have seen/played Wizard of Oz and are loving the the LCD display and the way it draws attention to the game and keeps people interested while they are waiting for their Turn . Plus the interaction and graphics makes it a nice feature . But myself and others( Although we like the LCD and think that JJP has done a great job with making it part of the game )would like to see other companies if and when they do use a LCD for display use a smaller one so there can still be backglass art also . I really like the great artwork that has been created by many great artists involved with pinball and the backglass art is one of the things I really like about pinball . Again not trying to bash JJP here I think they've done a great job with their Wizard of OZ game and I really do like the LCD screen I'm just sad to see the art go away . For me the best of both worlds would be if a company were to make a pinball with a smaller LCD and still have a backglass .Go ahead and discuss your opinions on LCD screens here .

#2 10 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Go ahead and discuss your opinions on LCD screens here .

Here is my opinion on the subject:

Quoted from trilogybeer:

Many people have seen/played Wizard of Oz and are loving the the LCD display and the way it draws attention to the game and keeps people interested while they are waiting for their Turn . Plus the interaction and graphics makes it a nice feature . But myself and others( Although we like the LCD and think that JJP has done a great job with making it part of the game )would like to see other companies if and when they do use a LCD for display use a smaller one so there can still be backglass art also . I really like the great artwork that has been created by many great artists involved with pinball and the backglass art is one of the things I really like about pinball . Again not trying to bash JJP here I think they've done a great job with their Wizard of OZ game and I really do like the LCD screen I'm just sad to see the art go away . For me the best of both worlds would be if a company were to make a pinball with a smaller LCD and still have a backglass .

#3 10 years ago

Full sized LCD or nothing for me as a collector.

Since the operator is Stern and JJP's true market, I am more interested in hearing what they want.

#4 10 years ago

As mentioned in another thread the Sega sized LCD would be perfect. Best of both worlds. No need for anything more and still plenty of room for an awesome backglass...

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

As mentioned in another thread the Sega sized LCD would be perfect. Best of both worlds. No need for anything more and still plenty of room for an awesome backglass...

Very rare that I agree with Teekee. I want a screen the size of a 15.6 inch laptop display and no bigger. Speakers down by the playfield where they belong and a full sized backglass/translite above.

#6 10 years ago

I'm not sure if I agree with TeeKee or not. I think there are merits to big and small. I can say that today while playing WOZ on location I noticed this:

1) I rarely looked at the screen at all..even when it was giving me info about the game. If I knew the rules I guess I might have payed more attention to those things.
    2) During one ball, I hit the middle VUK and the LCD was showing scene from the movie full screen, and it caught my eye. while I looked I totally missed that the ball went to the upper playfield and I missed my opportunity to hit targets and the ball returned own the habitrail.

I was totally distracted. But I'm sure for other people watching the screen it might have been interesting.

#7 10 years ago

Looks like there is a ton of discussion of the LCD screen, size, etc. here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heard-that-stern-postponed-st-announcement-last-week

#8 10 years ago

Well I think robT nailed it.

For me a full lcd with a pull down screen cover if you will. For the operators bigger draw with a full sized lcd. For me at home f'ing sweet while its on and if they made a pull down cover it would look like any other pin while off.

#9 10 years ago

I would like to see a 16" LCD and a almost full sized back glass.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Looks like there is a ton of discussion of the LCD screen, size, etc. here:

Thanks. Didn't see that one yet . Just know there was alot of talk in another thread so I thought I'd Start a new thread LCD specific .

Quoted from John_I:

Very rare that I agree with Teekee. I want a screen the size of a 15.6 inch laptop display and no bigger. Speakers down by the playfield where they belong and a full sized backglass/translite above.

PT nice pic posted on the other thread . It is a really good example of what I would like to see being made . Nice placement of a LCD ,and Backglass still there . I think it could work nicely.

#11 10 years ago

i'd be fine with an alphanumeric display if it cut a few hundred off the price.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Thanks. Didn't see that one yet . Just know there was alot of talk in another thread so I thought I'd Start a new thread LCD specific .

Hope you don't think I was criticizing. I think this thread is a great idea, but I couldn't help but notice that there was extensive discussion about the LCD taking place in that thread (for obvious reasons).

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

i'd be fine with an alphanumeric display if it cut a few hundred off the price.

The cost comes from creating graphics and animation ,that's where most of the money would go to put in LCDs . LCDs themselves are way cheaper than numeric or alphanumic . When I made Trilogy Brewing co I put LCDs in for 3 reasons First I could display info like "Tape open" when you've earned a beer . Second I just thought they looked cooler and I was able to choose the colors I wanted to use. and Third because getting 2 LCDs for the game was about 1/3 the cost of getting numeric displays .
    Trilogy Brewing has no animations at this time , just scores and info .

#14 10 years ago

I would be happy with color dmds. LCDs are to draw people in when its on location. It's kinda cool but I would do what ever was cheaper for the manufactor. I don't think the LCD has to be as big as WOZ a smaller one would nice and still have a backglass/translight with orginal art work.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Hope you don't think I was criticizing. I think this thread is a great idea, but I couldn't help but notice that there was extensive discussion about the LCD taking place in that thread (for obvious reasons).

Nope , didn't think you were criticizing . I hadn't seen that thread . Its why I started this thread If people want to discuss LCDs here could be the place . Sometimes good discussions on LCDs are hidden in other threads that started as different topics .

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

I agree, and that is exactly the rumored route Stern would go when/if they ever release a pin with an LCD in it. I think LCDs would help increase pinball's popularity. Catch someones eye on location and then get them thinking of having one for the house. Plus it gives player 2, 3, 4 something to look at which would add a bit of fun to multi-player matches.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

The problem with that is will manufacturers be able to acquire the overstocked panels for that size? The ColorDMD guys say implementing their current sized screen would be too small, and it would not be possible to get the correct size because it is not standard. Talking strictly about ColorDMD/Sigma replacements for Sega games.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

The problem with that is will manufacturers be able to acquire the overstocked panels for that size? The ColorDMD guys say implementing their current sized screen would be too small, and it would not be possible to get the correct size because it is not standard. Talking strictly about ColorDMD/Sigma replacements for Sega games.

Yes to fit current sternDMD or Sega size it is difficult . But it is posible to get LCDs that are very close to the sizes ( most of them will be slightly taller and a not as wide ) But all it would really take is just a redisigned speaker/LCD panel to make a LCD work using current cabinets and backglass sizes and all the hardware currently used for mounting a speaker panel and backglass could also be used .

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lcd-discussion-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.