57%

(195 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 3.48.35 PM (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Which is Keith Elwin's best pin - Maiden or JP3? With Maiden just ahead of JP3 on the Pinside100, this is going to be a close call. Feel like I am in the minority based on people I talk to about it, but I prefer Maiden by a hair.

#3 4 years ago

Maiden easy for me.

#4 4 years ago

This is based on Prem/LE games.
For me shots, layout, and toys is JP, energy (audio, lighting, and art) is IM. I am guessing the gameplay code will generally be about a tie.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

This is based on Prem/LE games.
For me shots, layout, and toys is JP, energy (audio, lighting, and art) is IM. I am guessing the gameplay code will generally be about a tie.

Agrees: To me it's equality.

#6 4 years ago

Hate the music, really hate the art, but Iron Maiden is a pretty fun game.

#7 4 years ago

JP3. I believe he mentioned somewhere that he preferred the game as well...

#8 4 years ago

I vote for Keith Richards.

#9 4 years ago

I really like IM, but the one night I played JP I really enjoyed it. Currently IM gets my vote, however have been considering a JP purchase. Anyone have both machines that can comment on their similarities (layout wise)? I currently also have a DI, and am wary of the shots feeling similar in a 7 pin lineup.

#10 4 years ago

I love them both and have Iron Maiden, but I would trade it in a second for Jurassic Park. Both excellent games, but I don't really care either way for Iron Maiden's music and I really like the Jurassic Park theme, so that along with more shot variety on JP is what mainly sways my vote.

#11 4 years ago

IMDN is great but Keith was able to step it up a notch on JP.

#12 4 years ago

Is this a trick question?

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 3.48.35 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-01-28 at 3.48.35 PM (resized).png
#13 4 years ago

Archer...

#14 4 years ago

Well there you have it.

#15 4 years ago

If I had to choose between the two(I own both) it would be JPprem but I can’t stress enough...if I had to.

#16 4 years ago

Not a lot of voting yet so here is to hoping the 2nd shift plus international markets to weigh in and vote.

#17 4 years ago

Won't go into detail for now. But, will say Iron Maiden is a dream theme for me. My favorite band. Seen them live 6 times. Own all their studio albums own most of their live, own a lot of their concert films and I owned a few vhs films as well.

Don't like the theme JP. Don't like the movies. I do love dinos though.
I think Iron Maiden is an amazing game. Great Rules, Great Art, Great Music, Great Layout. Almost a near perfect game.

But, I think JP is the better game. I love, love, love that trex toy. I think the car is super nifty and I think the rules are just a little itty bitty bit better. Mainly I like the super skill shot rules better. Love the homing missile, and I like how the truck was integrated into normal gameplay and modes.

But, I prefer Iron Maiden. I will always prefer Iron Maiden and I enjoy it better.Just think slight edge goes to JP. Just a little bit of a more unique layout too. Enjoy the amber shot. Makes shooting the pops very lucrative.

#18 4 years ago

I love the Jurassic park theme and I love playing the game but Maiden hands down for me I'm addicted to that game.

#19 4 years ago

Maiden, but both worth owning. I’d like that.

#20 4 years ago

Where is the both or neither option on the poll

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from pballjunkie:

Where is the both or neither option on the poll

even if you don’t like either, one is probably less bad or better.

#22 4 years ago

JP for me. I know I’m in the minority as far as how good IMd is, but I just don’t get it. I play it anytime I see it just to make sure it’s not me just having a bad game or maybe something is wrong with the machine. But I just don’t see whatever one else does.

Since getting my JP all of my other pins haven’t been played at all.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from fxdwg:

Since getting my JP all of my other pins haven’t been played at all.

That's quite a collection to leave sitting for one game. No game is that good to not add a little variety in playing.

I am still on the Iron Maiden wagon being my favorite of the two. Still trying to tweak and dial in my JP3, always seems like little things need constant attention to make it play right. Maybe once code is done and I get everything set where I can leave it, I could maybe change my mind down the road. JP3 sure is a cool game with potential to be even better but I think it's code, call outs and video that has to take it there for me. Both layouts are a blast to play.

#24 4 years ago

"Jurassic Park- Legacy of the Beast" !?

I guess the T-rex qualifies as a beast, but yet ...
Maiden for me currently.

I only have limited gameplay on JP though and dinosaurs aren't my bag.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

even if you don’t like either, one is probably less bad or better.

Idmn if rethemed to be all ages appropriate for families and kids then maybe
Jp2 is a good theme but not easy for kids or casual players, too many combo ramps, truck device is in the way of most unpredictable shots(not advanced players)and the c in chaos I've not had one kid be able to hit yet, they get bored and play something else.
I understand they are adored by tournament players but the average players (kids and moms) dont find either for the money a good idea.

#26 4 years ago

Great poll, both are terrific
I’d probably favour Iron Maiden (just), as I really like the rule set
Layout, they are similar (which is a good thing)
JP has the cool T-Rex toy, but IMO the overall pinball experience is just a little better on Iron Maiden

#27 4 years ago

Which is Keith Elwin's best pin - Maiden or JP3? With Maiden just ahead of JP3 on the Pinside100, this is going to be a close call. Feel like I am in the minority based on people I talk to about it, but I prefer Maiden by a hair.

Not even close. Maiden for sure since it's the total package.

Maybe some day there can be something close to a competition, but JPs total package falls short, especially in the massively annoying and repetitive callouts.

#28 4 years ago

Good question, I voted Maiden but have not played JP as much so may be subject to changing my mind.

#29 4 years ago

Maiden has become my favorite Stern.

#30 4 years ago

Huge Maiden fan, but personally, I find JP more interesting to shoot. Best modern Stern.

#31 4 years ago

Maiden is one of the best games ever. I haven't played JP so far, but have ordered a premium. I am just hoping that they are not to similar and that it will fit with my other games.

#32 4 years ago

They are all super close on my ratings. Looks like between the Premiums, I'm going with a Jurassic Park and between the Pros, I'm going with Iron Maiden.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#33 4 years ago

If Keith is 40 and works at Stern until 65 and can design one game per year, we can expect 25 more pins. If the design duration is 1.5 years, that would be 17 games. Either way Keith will be designing a bunch more pins. It will be difficult to better Maiden or JP3 but I hope he finds a way. When a baseball player in the majors hits a homerun on his first 2 game at bats, fans start to get used to that being the norm.

#34 4 years ago

Think he is closer to 50

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from valgalder:

Think he is closer to 50

Darn. Now he’ll have to work twice as hard.

#36 4 years ago

For me, JP2 is much more challenging and engaging than IMDN...the TRex and rules are in a different league as well. It's also a more solid game implementation...the Premium mechs on IMDN were a PITA. So far, JP2 has been much more solid.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from valgalder:

Think he is closer to 50

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from valgalder:

Think he is closer to 50

Intelius says even higher.

#39 4 years ago

to be fair, we could say he's 50 and will work until 60, so 10 more games. Is the design cycle of 1 year, prior to when game goes into production sound right?

#40 4 years ago

I like both of them and both great games but Iron Maiden edges it out by a bit for me. Very hard to get the 2 minutes to midnight or Cyborg multi ball so the challenge keeps me going with IM. Maybe one day I will get to battle the beast but those ramps are very tough to hit.

#41 4 years ago

If Keith is 40 and works at Stern until 65 and can design one game per year, we can expect 25 more pins. If the design duration is 1.5 years, that would be 17 games. Either way Keith will be designing a bunch more pins. It will be difficult to better Maiden or JP3 but I hope he finds a way. When a baseball player in the majors hits a homerun on his first 2 game at bats, fans start to get used to that being the norm.

No reason to expect he'll retire at 65. If he loves making pinball games and people keep buying his games, he could make games into his 70s. Provided his health coperates.

Its not like he's a brick layer or anything. But, then again some men do enjoy laying pipe... So who knows.

#42 4 years ago

Pretty easy one for us. We love JP3 - it is Top 5 all-time.

IM... we have no interest in.... I am not sure if we would plug it in if someone gave it to us. I know it sounds harsh, but we despise Iron Maiden the band. I'd rather play a Nickelback themed pin... and for the record... I don't want to play a Nickelback themed pin either!

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

. I'd rather play a Nickelback themed pin... and for the record..

Maisens fucking awful, but let's have some decorum here!

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Maisens fucking awful, but let's have some decorum here!

LOL- for sure... comparing anyone to Nickelback is the lowest of the low

#45 4 years ago

Played both again for last three days. Layout on Maiden is a masterpiece. Very close call but still Maiden for me.

1 week later
#46 4 years ago

JP is better but Maiden is easier.
Both are awesome games.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

JP is better but Maiden is easier.
Both are awesome games.

JP can't be better until it's polished to somewhere at least in the neighborhood of Maiden. The annoyance/repetition factor on JP is high due to lack of callout variety and uninspired (inappropriate?) music.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

JP can't be better until it's polished to somewhere at least in the neighborhood of Maiden. The annoyance/repetition factor on JP is high due to lack of callout variety and uninspired (inappropriate?) music.

Maiden does do very well with music/callouts and I wasn't a big fan of the music before the pin.

I think Maiden is much more repetitive than JP gameplay wise though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Manalapan, FL
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-keith-wars and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.