IMG_4449 (resized).JPG
IMG_4424 (resized).JPG
IMG_4436 (resized).JPG
IMG_4426 (resized).JPG
IMG_4425 (resized).JPG
IMG_4422 (resized).JPG
IMG_4421 (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

Thought it would be best to start a new topic just for this as no others exist. Just to rehash from the other thread: Picked up last week for $250 off a FB Marketplace post. I'm a glutton for punishment, so the condition didn't phase me much at the onset - until I got it home and opened her up. "Being stored in a barn" would have been a generous statement. She's got rust just about everywhere there is bare metal that wasn't caked in grease - yes the score reels were pickled in what had to be axle grease - it was that gooey or hardened. About the only thing that doesn't require a radical restore is the back glass - just some minor touch up with paint, which will come last. So without further ado, The CC Juke Box Restoration. May not be regular updates as this is a spare-time project. But will eventually reach completion.
IMG_4421 (resized).JPGIMG_4421 (resized).JPGIMG_4422 (resized).JPGIMG_4422 (resized).JPGIMG_4425 (resized).JPGIMG_4425 (resized).JPGIMG_4426 (resized).JPGIMG_4426 (resized).JPG

#2 4 years ago

Stripped the topside of the playfield earlier today. Going to need some elbow grease to get it even close to original shade. Don't think this has seen any wax since it left the factory. Also have a few spots where the plywood is de-laminating - noticeably around the spinner feature. Took care of the outer edges a few days ago with some wood glue and c-clamps.

IMG_4424 (resized).JPGIMG_4424 (resized).JPGIMG_4436 (resized).JPGIMG_4436 (resized).JPG
#3 4 years ago

I had one of these in similar condition minus the planking, and the playfield cleaned up to be brand new looking.
Almost seemed like it was made of a different material.

#4 4 years ago

Documenting the spinner unit before removing it for cleaning and getting the edges on the playfield around it glued back down.
IMG_4449 (resized).JPGIMG_4449 (resized).JPG

#5 4 years ago

Spinner unit removed. Cleaned out the crud between the laminations and injected wood glue.

IMG_4450 (resized).JPGIMG_4450 (resized).JPGIMG_4451 (resized).JPGIMG_4451 (resized).JPG
#6 4 years ago

After the second cleaning "pass" with naptha. Looks like its Magic Sponge time for some areas.

IMG_4452 (resized).JPGIMG_4452 (resized).JPG
#7 4 years ago

Was hoping the buffer would take off the rust; but this is so rust-pitted, it will have to be blasted then polished. Off to my shop of horrors.

IMG_4453 (resized).JPGIMG_4453 (resized).JPG
#8 4 years ago

Well, came across the first part that needs 100% replacing. Torsion spring for the Player Control rusted/corroded through where it contacts a stop pin (that 'ol dissimilar metal thing). Looked through all the parts resources for an exact replacement, but only thing that came close is for a Williams machine. Tried making a replacement extension, but the music/spring wire I have it too large of a gauge. Ordered two of those as it will require straightening out a coil or two to get enough "tail" to engage the pin it locks into. Of course, ordered a few dress-up items for it as well, like replacing the cheap leg bolts with acorn-head bolts a repro scorecard, extra ball, light inserts, etc.

Its only a hobby.....its only a hobby....

IMG_4464 (resized).JPGIMG_4464 (resized).JPG
#9 4 years ago

Got my teenage daughter involved in the resto! Here she is touching up areas where the paint had worn off.

IMG_4463 (resized).JPGIMG_4463 (resized).JPG
#10 4 years ago

Into day 3 of waiting for a 2-day delivery. So....pulled the relay bank from the bottom and started cleaning and readjusting several contacts that had been bent to force free play. Doesn't anyone believe in alligator clips?? Also going to replace the cracking AC power cord while its out.<EDIT> Well, parts came in only to discover that the torsion spring for a CC machine is wound the opposite direction of the "replacement" Williams spring. <grumble> Time to fall back and punt...
IMG_4468 (resized).JPGIMG_4468 (resized).JPG

#11 4 years ago

Following. This pic was just sent to me. It sits in a garage of a house someone went to High School with just purchased. they sent me the pic and the ol’ “make an offer.” I *no kidding* offered them a hug and that I would get it out of their way, but that’s as good as it gets. I’ve got 20+ projects. I need this like a need a hole in the head.

496165AF-8140-458B-941C-076F381F17B9 (resized).jpeg496165AF-8140-458B-941C-076F381F17B9 (resized).jpeg
#12 4 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

Following. This pic was just sent to me. It sits in a garage of a house someone went to High School with just purchased. they sent me the pic and the ol’ “make an offer.” I *no kidding* offered them a hug and that I would get it out of their way, but that’s as good as it gets. I’ve got 20+ projects. I need this like a need a hole in the head.[quoted image]

Hey, if you get tired of it taking up space, I'll make the drive and give you something more than hug. Or, if you didn't take that poor dirty orphan in, I'd appreciate a contact so it can be "rescued". Coughed up $40 on Ebay earlier this week just to get some more broken parts replaced. Came out of a Blue Max machine, but for the moment just need the coils (someone put a Williams coil in at one time long ago and it burned open) and the clockspring. And well....call me OC but want to keep parts from the same "species" in it. lol

IMG_4484 (resized).JPGIMG_4484 (resized).JPG
#13 4 years ago

Forgot to mention - I have an INCREDIBLE wife. This has been sitting in the living room for three weeks (better light to work by) and she hasn't said a word other than "when did I think I'd get it working"! She did draw the line on my acquiring another pin I found dirt cheap last week, though.

#14 4 years ago

In the home stretch insofar as the mechanics go. Got it fixed to where it will go beyond initial startup. Just have some more contacts to clean that I missed first time through and replace some bulbs on the playfield. In this instance it was the Bonus Unit preventing the startup due to a bad solenoid. The brass sleeve on both solenoids had worn through, but made a replacement using a .500S&W Magnum casing. LOL

2 months later
#15 4 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

Following. This pic was just sent to me. It sits in a garage of a house someone went to High School with just purchased. they sent me the pic and the ol’ “make an offer.” I *no kidding* offered them a hug and that I would get it out of their way, but that’s as good as it gets. I’ve got 20+ projects. I need this like a need a hole in the head.[quoted image]

Nice i was just asked to rescue one from a friend of a friend. Over text i was asked what i thought it was worth. My response was well its pretty old and it was found at a construction site... $100 sight unseen and some edibles...

I'll be updating this thread with a response once i get her home, although right now its 'quarantined' with the owners...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-juke-box-restoration?hl=dyopp21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.