PSB_-_pic_1.jpg
CN8_-_pic_5.jpg
CN8_-_pic_4.jpg
CN8_-_pic_3.jpg
CN8_-_pic_2.jpg
CN8_-_pic_1.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hello pinsiders,

New to the pin-game and have been reading anything I can get my hands on in terms of pinball.

Have been checking all connections to my Data East Checkpoint backbox on why my G.I. lights wont turn on (as well as the majority of coils not firing - there are a couple of breaks in the daisy-chain).

Getting back to the GI question - am wondering if I can salvage my power supply by replacing the CN8 locking header and get new connector housings / Trifurcon pins, etc. or due to the hack its best to just buy a replacement PSB from Xpin for ~$125?

The pro to buying a new PSB is new technology and a PSB that has not seen 24 years of use, con being out $125 and not OEM.

Thoughts from the community?

Thank you in advance.

CN8_-_pic_1.jpgCN8_-_pic_1.jpg

CN8_-_pic_2.jpgCN8_-_pic_2.jpg

CN8_-_pic_3.jpgCN8_-_pic_3.jpg

CN8_-_pic_4.jpgCN8_-_pic_4.jpg

CN8_-_pic_5.jpgCN8_-_pic_5.jpg

PSB_-_pic_1.jpgPSB_-_pic_1.jpg

#2 8 years ago

OEM doesn't matter

You can fix a power supply on the cheap (connectors and other component replacement) often for less than fifty bucks.

A new power supply is still worth the slightly higher price tag, and usually means higher reliability. You'll probably not have to even question your power supply health in your liftetime.

I have done both, some of my games have original repaired supplies, and some have new builds in them. It just depended on how bad the supply was overall and how much money I wanted to spend at the time.

#3 8 years ago

wayout is right, recap and new connectors $40 bucks. I lean toward keeping it OEM matching numbers if you can.

#4 8 years ago

Since you are thinking about fixing a board it probably isn't going to be the last time. Invest in some equipment. Buy a decent desoldering gun or station so you can change the header pins, caps, etc. easily without hacking.

#5 8 years ago

I had a burnt CN1 on my JP power supply, and had a hack to make a connection from the back of the board. This was what I thought was causing resets. I used a replacement kit (from action pinball) that cost $10, and the game runs great now. So I agree, worth just trying to replace the burnt connector, but if your a novice to board work (like I am) be careful when replacing the male part on the board. I tried this on my TAF, and ripped the through holes. On JP, I used chipquick to keep the solder liquid and that worked for me.

#6 8 years ago

That is fixable if you have the skillset and tools. You will still have to fix/replace the connector with a new power supply. If it was me I would redo the connector one wire at a time so they are in the correct order. Then pull the board and replace the header pins

#7 8 years ago

Pics of the last GI hack I fixed

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-joys-of-fixing-hacks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.