Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 98 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Gorgonzola
  • Topic is favorited by 64 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are you interested in getting a Bench CNC to make things?”

• No - but want to watch the journey and learn 11 votes
      24%
    • Yes - want to do a pinball project one day 4 votes
      9%
    • Yes - really interested as want to make my own pinball playfields as well 20 votes
      44%
    • Yes - want to do projects outside of pinball 6 votes
      13%
    • No - just curious on the poll data 4 votes
      9%

(45 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_4401 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0075 (resized).JPG
    screen-capture (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_3781 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3780 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3779 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3778 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3777 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3770 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3769 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3768 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3766 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3767 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3765 (resized).JPG
    There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

I mentioned the possibility of doing this in my custom build thread and a few people reached out and asked if I could follow through as it would help them on going down this journey.

for those interest here is my custom pinball thread
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tube-time-custom-surfing-pin

So here is how I will do this, I will be documenting my build of my CNC set up which in itself is a custom build. I am sure I will come up against a few road blocks to work out and need to take some detours but the goal is to cut my own playfields. I am doing a Word document and will be keeping track of the progress and will update this thread once I finish each section and then I will progress to the next section. I will save this document as a pdf at the end and make it available as a compact manual for others to download if they want to go down the same path for this purpose. And there will be a bit of designing along the way and will share any design files as well.

Please ask questions, give advise if you can see a better way to solve one of my roadblock problems and follow this journey if you are interested.

And take the poll so I can see if people are interested and from what angle.

#2 6 years ago

Following along... Will need to start getting playfields cut myself soon and would rather not do it by hand again.

#3 6 years ago

this is the game plan

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#4 6 years ago

Good luck! Hopefully it ends better than my brother's "Journey to sell CNC machine that was never used to make playfields."

#5 6 years ago

* 1. Reasons for Documenting

I chose to document this project to help others that are keen to get a machine but possibly too nervous of going down an unknown path that may appear a bit daunting. Therefore this project documentation may help others take that first step to head down this avenue of getting their own CNC machine and cutting their own Pinball Projects or for anything for that matter.

I don not have any affiliation with any of the noted companies and this is a documentation of my journey in which I am sure I will have a few challenges along the way and since it is a hybrid build, there is no guarantee that everything will work smoothly until the machine is set, debugged and running. So before jumping in yourself watch / read my build and see the results to then decide that you want to head down the same path. But I take no responsibility for costs and bugs / issues if you choose to jump in while I am still doing the build though I do hope this info helps others to decide what they want to do.

The guys in the US have public accessible hobby centres with machinery that they can access for an affordable fee but for us in Australia that is not an option so this is the next best thing.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Good luck! Hopefully it ends better than my brother's "Journey to sell CNC machine for that was never used to make playfields."

no intention of selling, just build my own and play around, dare say there will be issues and the need to "MOD" my machine as well as pinballs.

how did your brothers venture go? What sort of machines?

#7 6 years ago

* 2. The Hobby CNC Options

Due to my desire to make a custom pinball I wanted to get a hobby sized CNC so I can take control over cutting my own pinball playfield (which I will reference as PF from now on). I could send the work to someone else or do it myself and be able to make as many alterations that I wanted or needed as well as use for many other projects.

So in going this direction I weighed up some things before jumping in:

The positives:
    - fairly compact (roughly 1000mm by 1500mm)
    - fairly affordable (depends on what you go for)
    - fairly user friendly (depends on what option you go for)
    - affordable options use belt drives for X & Y axis movement, linear and screw drive is the preferred but there a size limitations and are a lot more expensive
    machines can be customisable
    - more accurate than cutting by hand and repeatable
    - can take the same layout file and use towards the art side of the design

The negatives:
    - does take up space if you are space poor
    - will cut fairly slowly as basically the router used is a trimmer router
    - could require some customisation to get the process area that you want and to make dust pickups but that is half the fun of this project

On doing research (November 2017) of the various machine / company options, I found these 6 to be on my short list:
    - X-Carve by Inventables (US)
    - Shapeoko 3 by Shapeoko (US)
    - Stepcraft 2 - 840 by Stepcraft (German)
    - OX CNC - makerstore (Australia)
    - OX CNC - ooznest (United Kingdom)
    - XYZ-Carve - 3DTek.xyz (Australia)

All the above are kit builds and price is a variable based on the time of research and where it has to come from.

* The X-carve is well known for the great support and awesome community of makers and is apparently a great machine and you can really vary your machine with many options and customise it as you go. You would have to upgrade the machine after purchasing so not a straight out of the box kit build as maximum size is 1000 x 1000mm size not process area.

* The Shapeoko is also well known for great support and great community of makers and apparently a great machine with v3 gaining a lot of improvements / upgrades. You would have to upgrade the machine after purchasing so not a straight out of the box kit build as maximum size similar to the X-Carve and the software looked good as well.

* The Stepcraft 2 is a great bit of machinery and is the step between hobby and commercial with a great design but is not customisable so would not do a PF in one go but allows for feed through work. The company was really good via email which is promising but the CNC programming looked a little over complicated especially for a person with zero experience.

* The OX CNC (Aus Option) is a Openbuild design machine that has been around for a few years and has some solid features with a few design floors as well but a good entry level machine. The company is a little slow on answers at the potential purchase stage. The machine design is customisable and it comes in a kit that can do a PF.

* The OX CNC (UK Option) is also a OpenBuild design machine as above but the companies owner has been proactive in identifying & strengthening up and improving the design in some areas and looks like an impressive upgrade of the Australia version. The owner was great in answering questions and helping out and also could ship parts separately to avoid customs charges.

* The XYZ-Carve is a take on the X-carve adopting a lot of the design and apparently improving the design in places though not staying up to date with some of X-carve’s recent design improvements. The company never replied to some questions on a few occasions and though very affordable and probably the best value for money an option that I struck off due to no communication.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

no intention of selling, just build my own and play around, dare say there will be issues and the need to "MOD" my machine as well as pinballs.
    how did your brothers venture go? What sort of machines?

Like many peopl ehe had some grand plan of making playfields but never got around to it.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Like many peopl ehe had some grand plan of making playfields but never got around to it.

yeah that happens and I better not do it as then I will look like a fool publically, lol - but then it will be a document of "What not to do"

#10 6 years ago

Cool. I love a guinea pig.

#11 6 years ago

* 3. The Decision

I chose to go for the following though was torn between a full X-Carve kit and the OX CNC but the import taxes were too much for the X-Carve:

- OX CNC (UK Option) - as it was more beefed up in design than the Australian option even though it lost some of it's Z Height process area I think it best suits my budget and what I want to do. I liked the little design upgrades and believe (hope) that it is stiffer than the Australian Options and the X-Carve. It was a little more expensive than the Australian options but I am happy with this decision. The frame may be different to the X-Carve but in the end is still a 3 axis bed CNC with dual motors on the gantry, both with some minor design flaws. This machine in the 1000 x 1500mm option is also the perfect size as a kit to cut a full standard width PF - though will not do a wide body playfield which I have not interest in doing.

screen-capture-11 copy (resized).pngscreen-capture-11 copy (resized).png

- X-Carve Controller - as it then links me to the X-Carve / Inventible community and gives me the upgrades in better power & control of the Nema 23 motors over the OX CNC machine option of controller. It is a slightly dearer way to go but it has some cool features all housed in one plug and play controller box and the Easel software is user friendly for the base entry people new to the CNC world and great for kids which I want to expose my kids to. Also Inventables just released an affordable option of using Easel Pro for 3D machining as a one stop shop approach and will all work running from a Mac and Windows.

screen-capture-11 (resized).pngscreen-capture-11 (resized).png

So my machine is now officially known as the OX-Carve (hybrid of the 2)

#12 6 years ago

* 4. The Purchase Costs

I won’t do a cost comparison of the various machines as over time that will change and vary depending where you are purchasing from but all 6 options fall between the $1500 to $5000 AUD.

Below is my cost breakdown of my journey to help you determine if you want to go the same way.
    - The OX CNC comes in silver anodised or black anodised, with all the parts to do the build, with NEMA 23 motors as the optional extra which to my surprise came with the wiring back to the controller. It does not come with the Controller, additional wiring, router or waste board.
    - The X-Carve Controller can be purchased as a part on it’s own and I did purchase a router bracket to customise to suit the OX and a z probe tool height sensor and 3 homing switches.
    - I purchased some parts through makerstore for the build - sensor cable, drag chain, and some t nuts
    - I still need to purchase a spindle, waste board, cable for the router through the machine, router bits, and make a table for the CNC to sit on and be able to move around my small shed.

The purchase list will expand but should fall under the $3k - will update in a later post.

Otherwise that is it for the moment - when I get better I will go down to the shed and start assembling the mechanical kit.

Hope you enjoy ......

the cost breakdown for uk and usd is what I paid and then I converted into Aus dollars in the far column so I can track my spend - it isn't both.

#14 6 years ago

I would love to get a cnc router one day. However, buying a 3d printer or two I feel like I should share my experience. In the beginning I knew no one locally with one. Issues sprung up over time. The idea was to make my own parts but I spent more time troubleshooting printing then I did make my own parts. The cnc router may be easier to maintain. I wouldn't want to keep troubleshooting issues, I just want to focus on making. The support for my printers were email only during 9-5 so it wasn't easy to ask questions then fix as there were always follow up questions. Neither of my printers are currently operational and lost interest. Cnc routing seems awesome, just not sure if theres a lot of maintainence involved keeping it running.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from huo:

I would love to get a cnc router one day. However, buying a 3d printer or two I feel like I should share my experience. In the beginning I knew no one locally with one. Issues sprung up over time. The idea was to make my own parts but I spent more time troubleshooting printing then I did make my own parts. The cnc router may be easier to maintain. I wouldn't want to keep troubleshooting issues, I just want to focus on making. The support for my printers were email only during 9-5 so it wasn't easy to ask questions then fix as there were always follow up questions. Neither of my printers are currently operational and lost interest. Cnc routing seems awesome, just not sure if theres a lot of maintainence involved keeping it running.

yes I have a 3d printer as well and haven't used it for about a year but sure to use in the near future for some of the custom pinball parts and maybe some temporary brackets for the CNC. They are temperamental and most of the issues for people are the first layer if the level is not perfect or the job releases during the job or the nozzle (blockages).

CNC's are simplier in my opinion, just bigger, louder & messier and operate opposite removing waste instead of building up the design. The main maintenance is keeping the belts clean from dust build up and grease on the lead screw and ensuring your machine is setup square (super critical).

I used to build Aus Made CNC's - Multicams as well as flat bed lasers.

screen-capture-11 (resized).pngscreen-capture-11 (resized).png

I was given a beast (not the one in the photo) of a US made tekcel and modded it up with modern gear (robot systems drive gear, motors, full wiring and aluminum vacuum t-slot table top) and silly me sold it (2011) to make room for pinballs and now I need and want a cnc again but want to go for a compact version. Since time is poor I opted for a bench cnc kit, and don't have the same access to machinery as I once did.

#17 6 years ago

I'm currently in the process of building this machine
    http://www.cncrouterparts.com/pro4896-4-x-8-cnc-router-kit-p-253.html
    The total machine + computer + spinal cost will be ~$11K. I also need to get good power into my garage to run it. I expect that to be another $2k for a sub box and breakers/outlets.
    I've built the base and frame for it so far (~$1000):

IMG_4995 (resized).JPGIMG_4995 (resized).JPG

Right now I have these two machines ($400 each from Craigslist). The smaller one to the right is working fine, the larger one I need to write custom software to run it.

IMG_5288 (resized).JPGIMG_5288 (resized).JPG

I've cut this mini playfield with the smaller machine:

IMG_5191 (resized).JPGIMG_5191 (resized).JPG

EDIT:

I've also cut plastics for Frozen with the smaller machine:

IMG_5138 (resized).JPGIMG_5138 (resized).JPG

IMG_5139 (resized).JPGIMG_5139 (resized).JPG

#18 6 years ago

I'm getting a shaper origin , didn't want to take up that much room in my garage. We'll see how it goes. Uses computer vision plus service axis to give you a psuedo handheld cnc. Supposed to be accurate to 1/100 inch (0.254 mm) which I would think for home brew pinball is good enough.

These guys have just started shipping (and not internationally), so haven't tried actually doing a playfield yet but I sent the guys a playfield file and they said the only concern would be that since they doing track progress of the cutting of a file, it might be a task to ensure you didn't miss anything. But, as long as you don't pull the tape off you can go back and add something you missed.

https://shapertools.com

#19 6 years ago

sd_tom that is a cool router and watched with interest but they are still way off selling outside the US unfortunately

Linolium nice work on full cnc range, and I too will one day upgrade to linear rails again and the Frozen pinball is cool. We definitely don't have deals like that on ebay or Gumtree (Craigslist equivalent)

#20 6 years ago

I've built 2 of the Mechmate open source CNC routers 4x8' and a 5x10'. They cost ~$3500 USD to build.

All steel construction, no plastic or aluminum for max stiffness.

Huge forum full of people who have built them (started in South Africa, now worldwide). Once you complete yours, the guy who invented it sends you a logo decal for your machine:

http://mechmate.com/

Plans:

https://thepiratebay.org/search/mechmate/0/99/0 (click the little magnet symbol)

92014-O (resized).jpg92014-O (resized).jpg

#21 6 years ago

vid1900 very cool and though there is a little loss of process area compared to the machine length, the gantry design is a great solution for stopping twisting of the router.

#22 6 years ago

i have plans to do this in the future so looking forward to following your progress.

#23 6 years ago

I had no plans... as I was just going to use the Shopbot at Techshop.
    But yesterday they announced immediate Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and locked the doors.

Admittedly; I was just on the web this afternoon looking at Xcarve, myself.
    Right now; I'm thinking I want something with a ER16 collet so I can use my endmills from my hobby CNC mill interchangeably.
    So; I'm thinking about a high end spindle w/ 3phase 220V inverter.

At the moment; I'd decided to "wait" until have a real need for this tool.
    It's possible someone might buy the LLC and reopen - but I highly doubt it.
    I'd love to "invest" in buying the local shop - but doubt even I could make that business work.

#25 6 years ago

made a start today, and ooznest does a great job of supplying everything in separate packaging / bags along with a nice glossy assembly manual, which is easy to follow

IMG_3540 (resized).JPGIMG_3540 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3544 (resized).JPGIMG_3544 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3543 (resized).JPGIMG_3543 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3546 (resized).JPGIMG_3546 (resized).JPG

IMG_3545 (resized).JPGIMG_3545 (resized).JPG

#27 6 years ago

I found communication with 3dtek.xyz to be really good but no matter it looks like what you have will be great.
    I've only just started but found CNC.js good for the software side of things. Still need to set it up on a RPI.
    Keen to see what you discover for bits as I haven't bought any yet and will need them for playfield/plastics.

#28 6 years ago

good luck with the build!

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

made a start today, and ooznest does a great job of supplying everything in separate packaging / bags along with a nice glossy assembly manual, which is easy to follow

This thing looks like a beast. A shiny, metallic, lovable beast. Looks fun!

#30 6 years ago

I got the gantry together today and all set, instructions were pretty good though lacked in one small minor area (which you release later but you have to strip and rebuild part of the head) which I will capture in the pdf document at the end. Took about 4-5 hours just cruising listing to pinball podcasts - did a big catchup on "Pinball Profile" and a massive "Head2Head" episode

IMG_3549 (resized).JPGIMG_3549 (resized).JPG

The drag chain (20 x 25mm) came in from the Aus supplier yesterday so was able to tinker and now need to design some brackets that I will temporarily 3d print and will make the files (for free) and parts available on Shapeways once they are proven.
    - 2 brackets for the X Axis drag chain
    - 1 bracket for the X axis limit switch

these parts will help others go down the purchase and assemble path unlike my design and make then assemble path.

IMG_3550 (resized).JPGIMG_3550 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3551 (resized).JPGIMG_3551 (resized).JPG

overall the design is great for a belt and roller design, with no backlash or twist (yet)

3 weeks later
    #31 6 years ago

been a bit caught up with being sick, doing site maps for work at home and then have to do one project to help another.

project 1 - re-arrange the shed to make way for a cnc table
    project 2 - make a flip up cnc table
    project 3 - complete the cnc

dam doubt I will be cutting a playfield in the next 2 weeks but got a week off soon and hope to be close to having the cnc at least running by new years and then back to work.

my workshop is small so need to make a drop down cnc table so if ever the car needs to go in it can as well as wheel games etc around.

the long section of workbench is already in place, just need to make the left hand side small one for the computer and cnc controls
    Drop down bench 1 (resized).pngDrop down bench 1 (resized).png

cnc bench will tilt up out of the way and front legs removed
    Drop down bench 2 (resized).pngDrop down bench 2 (resized).png

cnc / bench tilted out of the way with a white board underside for sketching ideas
    Drop down bench 3 (resized).pngDrop down bench 3 (resized).png

#32 6 years ago

also have purchased a router and ordered a mount bracket and dust pickup which hopefully have by Christmas

I designed some 3d printed brackets for the X axis drag chain and X axis gantry stop - so will post photos and update the build manual when these come in

#33 6 years ago

Space is the big problem with having a CNC machine at home, I've learned.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Space is the big problem with having a CNC machine at home, I've learned.

That's for sure.

I've always dreamed of building one that would be flat against the wall like a Panelsaw

s-l300 (resized).jpgs-l300 (resized).jpg

#35 6 years ago

That's why I ordered a Shaper Origin.. no need to store anything other than a spoil board. We'll see.

There was this kooky idea and they aren't selling them currently. I think it's just for cutting though / no z axis movements.
    http://www.maslowcnc.com

#36 6 years ago

yeah the shaper origin is cool but restricted to the US at the moment.

I seen the kooky idea machine before - good for some things but not playfields etc.

my flip up when not it use will use a 2 x 4 ft foot print and when in use will use 4 x 5 ft foot print so a good compromise - just have to ensure there is no twist when in laying down position...

#37 6 years ago

TBH; I'm convinced if I were to go with a CNC... it'd have to be outdoors.
    MDF wouldn't like it; but everything else "should" be ok under a tarp here in TX during the summer.
    That's said; I like your idea of a hide-a-cnc; but I worry about the rigidness of that solution longer term.

#38 6 years ago

the oz cnc is quite a rigid little machine coupled with a 4" thick table frame - and when the machining state will have 6 points of support, it should be fine.

when it is in the down position I will be cutting everything over a few weeks and then tilt out of the way - that's the theory anyway

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

yeah the shaper origin is cool but restricted to the US at the moment.

Just was talking about the positive. It's becoming more obvious that it's not going to work as close to a CNC machine as I hoped and doing a playfield might actually be a pia with the device, at least with the software as it stands and they aren't providing hints about feature roadmap.

I would of prob cancelled the origin and done something like yourself but my wife is now excited for it and for her wood working projects it's better suited anyway.

#40 6 years ago

still a very clever idea - make sure to post some results after using it here in this thread, very curious..

#41 6 years ago

I like the fold up cnc idea, I've been thinking, if/when I build one, of making it raise up into the ceiling. I would put it directly above my main sturdy work table and it would lower down directly on top of it, electric hoist and such. would just take a day of redoing the ceiling in the shop to have a coffered/tray ceiling it would fit into (there is room above to do so once I move the crap stored there).

#42 6 years ago

In the US we are indeed blessed to have advanced equipment and space pretty readily available for rental. I see that Sydney has a pretty well equipped Makerspace - but no CNC routing capability. I'll be following your journey and cheering you on!

#43 6 years ago

- got the shed 90% re-arranged and will start on the cnc bench hopefully this weekend.
    - got the router / spindle
    - the router mount came from a guy in the US - really nice work
    - the x-carve controller kit arrived yesterday as well
    - and my shapeways drag chain custom brackets arrived as well - one needs a slight tweak in the design but is usable.

so most parts are here though sure I need some more drag chain and wiring

#44 6 years ago

got a bit of time today to build the frame for the addition bench (lhs) and the flip up cnc table top - so far it is pretty sturdy and happy with it, once the sheeting goes on it will stiffen up and brace nicely then I can finish the cnc assembly

cnc bench down
    IMG_3673 (resized).JPGIMG_3673 (resized).JPG

cnc bench up
    IMG_3674 (resized).JPGIMG_3674 (resized).JPG

#45 6 years ago

Nice inspirational back ground poster there!

Shawn

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Nice inspirational back ground poster there!
    Shawn

Looks like Shark Island Cronulla?

#47 6 years ago

pretty sure it isn't Shark Island as the lip is normally as thick as what the tube is high. I surfed Shark Island in the late 80's and scared the crap out me - very heavy wave

photo isn't me but typical of the island
    a2062090ac70e8a2519814339a0ca937 (resized).jpga2062090ac70e8a2519814339a0ca937 (resized).jpg

body boarders love, but this is insane and breaks onto about 2-3ft of water over a rock platform
    9795ae2374658c0ff3fe962b6254f460--tsunami-waves-huge-waves (resized).jpg9795ae2374658c0ff3fe962b6254f460--tsunami-waves-huge-waves (resized).jpg

#48 6 years ago

Holy shit. That's about a ton of water.

#49 6 years ago

A shit ton more than that. And breaking onto 2-3 ft of rocks sounds down right suicidal. That's why I like to kite surf, much safer

Actually, I don't kite surf anymore- I moved to the damn desert. Oh well... jealous of all that water!

#50 6 years ago

rufessor, don't let a little sand slow you down!

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-journey-of-building-a-bench-cnc-for-a-custom-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.