ford-charge-station-pro-install-with-1-conduit-this-time-v0-e1kcy3p1c3za1.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Image 4-21-24 at 1.05?PM (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 13-53-01 Who Wants a Loud Car (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 18-12-04 reddit (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 8.32.26?AM (resized).png
used (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider usandthem.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#71 2 years ago

From an economic standpoint, it doesn't make much sense yet in Michigan. Right off the top, you'll have to pay an extra $140 ev penalty on top of your regular registration based on MSRP every year. That's the equivalent of a lot of gas right there. Secondly, public charging is more expensive than the equivalent amount of energy in gas right now, as there's no competition. And at home, unless you're off the grid, you're beholden to your public utility company that has a monopoly and then asks the state to raise the price whenever they want and are usually granted their wish.

#84 2 years ago
Quoted from chillme:

The $140 penalty is because an EV owner doesn't pay any gas tax at the pump. Most states are implementing these fees to help cover the highway not being paid. I think that works. And these days $140 is not a lot of gas as you say. Current prices by me today, that's 35 gallons, or 1 fill up of my pickup. Seems rather cheap penalty.
It all depends on where you are, but electricity costs are a lot cheaper then gas. We can choose are supplier, so there's competition. Charing overnight, it's a whole .07 per kWh. We can do a 100 mile trip on my wife's car and it costs $2.33 or take my truck and it costs $20.47.
Maintenance on the EV is also cheaper, change the brake fluid every two years. No more oil changes, trips to the gas station.
And it's a fun car to drive. We did not get an EV to save the planet, not even close, if we are both alive in 20 years, I'd be surprised.

Here's an article from Detroit's "liberal" paper summarizing a study regarding cost to drive an ev vs. ice. It's still more expensive to drive an ev no matter how you slice it. Funny enough, I actually leased a Nissan Leaf in 2013 before these taxes were implemented and with a free charging station about a mile from my house at a AAA Insurance office. It served my needs commuting around town. The range was only 90 miles on a good day, but I enjoyed it for the two years that I had it.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2021/10/21/electric-vehicle-charging-cost-vs-gas/6110815001/

#90 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Exactly.
Pretty much anybody who is fanatical about their car is insufferable.
You car people are all nuts! Move to a big city and embrace bikes and mass transit and all your worries will be over!

(the smiley face means you don't have to post those Fox News links...)

The tradeoff for no car is 3K a month rent for 500 square feet of living space. I've enjoyed all the fun and excitement that my several trips to NYC have given me. But after a week, I'm clamoring to head back to the midwest, with the space (and the opportunities to drive my car).

#91 2 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Just look at air quality changes during the first covid lockdowns which effectively took all gas powered vehicles of all types off the roads. The air quality improvement in cities world wide was huge! There's some really dramatic differences in places like India where they don't have as strict tail pipe emission controls as we do here, but even in other cities world wide the difference was amazing. We had record high air quality in LA during that time as well.

I don't see your link but I'm not sure I would trust such an article written in "Motor City" who's lively hood depends on building gas engines. Regardless this also has been debunked quite a bit and it's been shown in many comparisons that an electric car is cheaper to own and operate than a gas car. I spreadsheet everything and I charted all costs and expenses of my last gas car a 2018 Camaro ZL1 and my 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance both over three years. Not exactly an equal comparison as the Model 3 blows it away in basically every metric (performance, utility, fun, etc) but regardless it was around ~$8600 more over three years to operate the Camaro.
Now I know anytime I mention something like this someone will say "Yeah but my 1976 Trabant will be far cheaper" and sure it will be but that's not an equivalent comparison.

Sorry. If you're interested:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2021/10/21/electric-vehicle-charging-cost-vs-gas/6110815001/

#189 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lol yeah.
I remember what lawmakers did here to make sure EV and hybrid owners pay their share for the roads, if you own an EV or hybrid in Michigan you now get hit with significantly higher registration fees. "Congrats on buying a Tesla, here's a $500 annual registration fee". Also reminds me of how power companies complain about profits being down because people are saving money with energy efficient appliances...rates just get increased as a result.

Unfortunately, it's more than your fair share. That's what's ridiculous. It's at least $140 on top of registration fees on the MSRP of said electric vehicle. Federal and State gas taxes about to 18.56% in Michigan. At $3.35/ gallon, it would take 225 gallons of to spend $140 in taxes. For an ICE car that averages 30 MPG, that's 6,750 miles of driving. And then you also have to actually pay to "fuel" your car with electric power. Electricity is taxed too. If you want people to drive these things, they shouldn't be disincentivized to do so. I understand that gas taxes are used to pay for roads. However, if you have to charge ev owners an arbitrary amount to supposedly accommodate for that, then your road funding system needs to be updated. The sweet spot in Michigan is a car like the Prius or the Ioniq, which get upwards of 55-60 MPG in mixed use, but avoids the ev penalty altogether and of course uses relatively little gas.

#292 2 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Self driving cars - that will work well in Michigan with all of the snow & potholes. Dam car won't last a week.

Drive in a straight line down Canton Center Rd from Warren to Ford, and you won’t make it, 2 bent rims, at least.

9 months later
#4531 1 year ago

I leased a Nissan Leaf in 2013. The car only had 90 miles of range (on a good day). However, the AAA office within a mile of my house had a free Level 2 charging station. I would take my car up there and run home, then run back to pick it up about 4 hours later. It was a great ritual. I got some exercise in and my car charged for free. We had a minivan at home too for longer trips, but that Leaf was great for tooling around town or running the kids around. In addition, the state of Michigan hadn't yet added the EV penalty onto vehicle registrations. Now, they tack $140 (I believe) on top of the regular registration, which is based on MSRP. This is to make up for the lack of gas tax from EV owners. A modest fee would be fair, but I've seen studies that show that this fee is more than many ICE drivers pay in gas taxes each year. And now, the free charging station is gone. Those were a great, 3 cheap years of car ownership.

1 week later
#4647 1 year ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

As long as we're discussing time comparisons here, it should be noted that there is a time cost to repairing issues that come up with an ICE vehicle. Scheduling appointments, dropping off the vehicle, (sometimes) waiting on-site for repair, picking up said vehicle, getting towed (due to engine failure), waiting for tow, etc.
The "time" invested in maintenance and repair on an ICE vehicle is a fair bit more than an EV.

The reliability argument of EV's is a bit overstated. Worse yet, if you do happen to have a problem, you're screwed. They're not just fixing it in a day and getting you back on the road. Some EV's are have been very problematic, like the Ford Mach-E.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/14/ford-issues-stop-sale-of-mustang-mach-es-due-to-potential-safety-defect.html

#4706 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

There are a few EV options around the 40-50K range, but I also think we'll see cheap EVs as they hit the resale market.
Unlike ICE cars which are pretty much done at 200K, EVs have a longer life and will probably tend to stay on roads longer. Especially if they hit the market as certified cars where the manufacturer has refreshed them a bit, checked the battery health, etc.

When you say that EV's have a life >200K, are you talking with or without expensive battery replacement or repair?

#4749 1 year ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Just to follow up, I finally have my car back! Took 9 weeks to get the part needed. I suppose it could have been a lot worse.
Now my gas-guzzling Cadillac can now go back to being my backup car.

They should tack another 9 weeks into your warranty after all that. Did they at least give you a loaner?

#4751 1 year ago

I'm wondering what peoples' opinions are on the 2023 Toyota Prius. Two knocks on the Prius have always been looks and performance. Looks are subjective of course, but this seems like a good-looking car. Performance has been amped up to 194 HP, while still getting 56 MPG in mixed driving. Not going to blow anybody's doors off, but certainly adequate for every day driving. It's a Toyota and has a long-established nameplate, so you have to assume that build quality and resale will be good. It seems like an excellent bridge on the long road to full practical electrification for a majority of drivers. Plus, at least in my state, you get to dodge the EV tax and have a car that literally sips gas. Curious as to what others think. It looks like a winner to me.

Prius 23 (resized).jpgPrius 23 (resized).jpg

#4756 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

The new Prius is one sexy-looking bitch, and it will sell bucketloads. But I would never consider one because it's a Toyota, and I just can't stand how utterly boring Toyotas are. Even cars like their Mirai Hydrogen FCEV and bZ4x BEV manage to somehow be utterly boring mobility appliances. They do all of these nice-looking exterior designs, and then I sit in one at a car show or a dealer and I feel my soul leaving my body with how cheap and perfunctory the plastics, switchgear and cabin technology are.

Was checking it out on Raiti's rides on YouTube and the interior seems vastly improved as well.

#4759 1 year ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Nope. No loaner cars available, all in use according to them. They put me on the "waitlist" (along with many others apparently), but I don't think I came close. Not a big deal for me since I have more cars. But imagine if it were your only car... that would suck, and I'd be pissed!

That’s the one (and only) thing I liked about being a Ford owner. I had a Fusion hybrid that needed service often. There are so many dealers around that getting both an appointment and a loaner were never a big problem. Thank goodness I only owned that car while it was under warranty.

#4850 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Yeah, but can and EV lose move than 4 hubcaps in a chase scene? I didn't think so.

No, but if you drive through St. Louis and ask for directions, you're liable to have your 4 hubcaps stolen and have “honky lips” spray painted onto your green pea metallic Wagon Queen Family Truckster.

1 week later
#4939 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Ok at this point I really must ask for a separate "I hate water heaters" thread

More like "I hate HYBRID water heaters" thread- haha. They're much closer to being the EV of the water heater world. (Although I suppose that an electric water heater IS the EV of the water heater world, but what do I know?- Although for most households, those are more expensive to run than a gas one.)

#4945 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

No, I just hate water heaters.

Start calling them “HOT water heaters”. That’ll really piss everybody off.

#4991 1 year ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

This is the chicken/egg problem EV owners are hoping for. Infrastructure will now need to be ramped up to keep pace with demand. Hopefully the government continues offering incentives.

With gas, I have my choice of about 10 different brands in my area with warehouse clubs like Costco and Sam's keeping all of the prices in check. With electric, I would pretty much have the "choice" of the crony capitalism monopoly utility company that services my home. And you're at the mercy of your state government in essence because only the state government has the authority to grant the utility company permission to increase rates at their request.

I'm not anti-EV. In fact I was an early adopter of sorts when I leased a 2013 Leaf. I had a free Chargepoint level 2 charger within a mile of my home and Michigan State government had not caught onto the idea of an extra tax on EV's yet. It was great. I just worry that with all of the "incentives" (ie government handouts) that the government is going to have a lot of say in your EV ownership experience.

#5064 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Oh you sweet summer child.
Let me educate you on what it’s like in Porsche-land.
Oil every 10K $550.
“Major Service” every 20K to the tune of 2-3K. Sometimes plugs, sometimes belts.
I’m a Porsche junkie and by switching to their EV I am finally enjoying their driving experience without the service pain.

My WWII vet grandfather would say that you could save a lot of money by not driving one of those Nazi sleds.

#5077 1 year ago

I totally agree with this author. Why do American EV's need to be so big and and fast? Aren't those two attributes antithetical to range and efficiency, two things that EV's should be striving for?

https://jalopnik.com/the-u-s-is-making-the-same-mistakes-with-evs-that-it-m-1849950812?utm_source=YPL

#5082 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Because Americans refuse to buy city cars or commuter cars.
Just look at this thread… all people believe they care about is long haul travel.
Vast majority of the country doesn’t have the city space, import costs, or penalty taxes that drive the rest of the world to embrace smaller cars.
Fast is to leverage the inherent advantages of the car as it helps drive sexy snd not just ‘smart car’ nerding.
Just look at the history of the smartcar in the US.
Stigmas and assumptions didn’t change just because the power plant changed.
Heck look at people buying an electric truck….

Then let’s get off the high horse and stop pretending that it’s all about the environment. Some ICE cars all the way back in the 80’s could get hybrid-like mileage simply because they were small, light, and had 80 horsepower. Were people able to do everything that 90% of the people who own a car need to do (get to the store, run the kids around, get to work)? Hell yes.

So, let’s just decide. If EV’s are to “help the environment”, they’re not doing the best job that they could. In fact, if the federal government is going to continue to incentivize them with tax dollars, shouldn't those incentives be promoting those vehicles striving for maximum efficiency, not giving a tax break to someone just looking for a new race car?

#5091 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Also, I don't know a single man who ties his identity to a car.

Please.

#5094 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Just because those who don't own, can't afford, or place value on nice things (including cars) project their feelings and or resentment on those who do, doesn't make their interpretation of the motives and character of others accurate.

Is that a shot?

#5138 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I read the much hyper "twitter files." All I saw was people trying to make difficult choices as best they could.
He has turned Twitter into a right wing shithole, a safe space for Nazis, election deniers and covid disinformation.
I'm done chatting with people who support that.

You’re really big on taking your ball and going home when the direction of the conversation (more specifically, people having a different opinion than yours) is not going the way you’d like. That’s very progressive and tolerant of you.

#5146 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Is that Keith Moon's daughter Mandy's car?

Are we sure that that's not at a Holiday Inn in Flint, MI?

1 week later
#5217 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You've got to be gentle with the old men with small dicks crowd.
Start with a hybrid, then over the next decade, slowly ween them over to full performance EVs

Those are your suburban-living, over-sized pick up truck, Ford Expedition XL, Chevy Suburban, Cadillac Escalade etc. drivers. Prius and modest EV drivers are those that have nothing to cover for in that department.

2 weeks later
#5431 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

The 10,000 miles free Supercharging was only offered Dec 15-31 2022 to push year end sales. They only offered it for those 2 weeks and they’ve never offered that high an amount before. Owners have up to 2 years to use those miles.
They have offered 1,000 miles a few times since 2016 - about once a year and usually for only a few weeks to drive Q end sales.
There is no current free Tesla supercharging being offered with new car sales.
As for how it’s calculated it’s defined by the car’s rated range - which is about 4.3 miles per kW supplied by the charger. It’s about 2,300 kW to go 10k miles. Rates are about 20-25 cents a kW so that’s like a $500 perk.
For reference Kia offers 1,000 kW of free Electrify America fast charging on every single EV they sell - 365 days a year. That’s about 4-5k miles of charging on every single car.
VW is worse going as far as offering 3 years unlimited charging on Electrify America fast charging network on all VW ID.4 models. 30 min max per session, but there’s a bug so all you have to do is move stalls and you can start another session free.

Jesus Christ. Just considering all these factors alone is a huge opportunity cost that favors ICE vehicles. How's that for "I hate EV's"!?

#5435 1 year ago
Quoted from PlanetExpress:

So, I bought an ID.4 and received 3yrs of unlimited DC fast charging at Electrify America charging stations. How do ICE vehicles come out favorable in that equation?

Haha- You’re right. Discussion of free miles is probably not the best time to push that argument.

1 week later
#5487 1 year ago
Quoted from altan:

Georgia charges an extra $200 per year for registration.

$200 pays for a lot of gas taxes. $200 alone will keep my 2022 Hyundai Accent running for a about 3 months. Yes, not an exciting car, but gets the job done on the cheap. It's the closest car you can get to something like an '04 Civic now in in terms of size, initial costs, and practicality. The new Civic is like the old Accord in terms of size and price. It's pretty unreal. All Japanese compacts are like mid-size cars now (except Mitsubishi). The Koreans are really the only players in the market now. Hyundai dumped the Accent for this year, but you can still get the Kia Rio as both a sedan and hatch. I strongly recommend checking it out if you want a "cheap(er)" (nothing is cheap), reliable real compact non-ev or hybrid with a long warranty. I get 36 MPG combined on mine.

1 week later
#5586 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Stale??? This is the most toxic, divisive thread on pinside! The longer it’s open the more and more people, good people in the hobby end up hating, blocking, and ignoring each other. How can something so captivating be considered stale???

What kind of a puss blocks other people on an internet DISCUSSION forum? Even with members with whom the conversation has turned nasty, you usually can find some common ground somewhere and even have a few laughs when all is said and done. Never take it personally.

1 month later
#6096 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

All the young boomers have forgotten the uncontrollable sobbing when gas switched from Leaded to Unleaded.
"Junkyards will be overfilled with perfectly good cars that can't get fuel !!!!"
"I want to drive my antique car forever !!!"
"It will cost billions in new equipment to switch over to new gas !!!!"
"The government is stepping on my right to pollute !!!"
But somehow it happened, and the world kept spinning....

And somehow it all managed to happen without the government giving consumers $7500 or whatever the inflation-adjusted amount would have been back then ($1500?) to make it happen.

1 week later
#6284 1 year ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

And got the .gov to subsidize it on top of it all.

Kind of negates the whole “capitalism” argument unless you’re including crony capitalism into the equation.

#6327 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

This is the sole reason I could get an EV minivan for my wife. The woman is either on the gas or on brake. She accelerates towards stop signs and I'm like WTF, why are you on the gas

Excuse me, are you married to my wife?

#6331 12 months ago

Any hypermiling done by me is fully negated by the driving habits of my wife, and then some.

#6340 12 months ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

+10000
plus anyone that still regurgitates played out phrases like "TDS", "whatttttssss uuupppp!" (with their tongues out) and "who let the dogs out?!?!"
Of course anyone that says "livin the dream" gets a nut punch.

"It is what it is."

#6364 12 months ago

Shelby Mach-E. Only in Europe, not for the ugly American apparently.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2023/04/26/shelby-mustang-mach-e-gt-electric-sold-europe/70153440007/

Mach E (resized).jpgMach E (resized).jpg
#6371 12 months ago

The car or the fact that it's not being released in the U.S.?

#6392 12 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

You guys really are amazing. Data. Read it. You can’t just decide to “call bs” any time something doesn’t agree with your world view. This country is a HUGE place. I can easily believe 400 car fires per day. But you have multiple sources. Your opinion means nothing in the face of their presentation of data. Find conflicting data. Surely the gas car manufacturers are livid about this utter falsehood being perpetuated against them!!! They’re amazing the data for their rebuttal as we speak!!!
Nope. It’s true. Their silence on the subject is pretty convincing.
I know. You hate EVs. But maybe you could admit that on this one little issue EVs could be better, you know, based on the facts? Do gas cars have to dominate in every single category to make EVs really suck?! When you have to refute EVERY taking point that paints EVs in a good light, your comments become of less and less value.
Your memes, on the other hand, are pretty good. Massively biased, but humorous. And juvenile. But entertaining.

Did you not create this thread? Have you forgotten what you titled this thread? Any post other than hating on EV's goes against the very spirit of what you've created here.

2 weeks later
#6616 11 months ago

Is it acceptable to discuss one’s hate of ev owners over the cars themselves in this thread?

1 month later
#7086 10 months ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I certainly moved out of a tax-happy state. Coincidentally, with shitty roads. I've replaced all sorts of suspension components, ruined wheels and tires on my vehicles while there. Since moving, no such thing. No wheel alignments either.

I predict that Nevada won’t be low tax for long. A lot of “in”migration from California and a lot of immigration in general to that state is causing it to change rapidly. People moving there for the “low taxes” incidentally like government that only high taxes can buy.

#7199 9 months ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

Then you have to account for the same for charging EV’s since a vast majority of their power is from fossil fuels still. I see the coal cars every day traveling to the power plants, and drive by the gas lines. I’m all for EV’s if we can make them more efficient. Right now we are not there. Plus, we are not even considering the options that would make EV’s shine. If they were really serious, they would create situations where EV’s can far exceed ICE. From there, branch out and convert over time.

If EV's were really made to be efficient, green and clean and the government already has a heavy hand in matters with incentives to sell them and plenty of corporate welfare to build them, they could get a lot more miles per charge if the horsepower were ratcheted down a few notches. Just like ICE vehicles of the 80's that could get 50 MPG with 100 HP motor, EV's could be much more efficient if they were made to go a bit slower. 0-60 in 3 seconds is unnecessary. If you think it is, then you're lying to yourself about your so-called desire to be more green and planet-friendly.

3 weeks later
#8349 9 months ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Maybe the climate debate would make more sense if the top people screaming about it would stop flying in private jets, owning 6 houses on the beaches that are supposedly going to be under water in the next 10 years and having a dozen ice cars. Hoping the eastern grid doesn't go down while it's still cooking there.

The super wealthy elites think that only the working and middle classes should have to do "their part", not them. I remember seeing pics of that "white party" or whatever the hell it's called in the Hamptons, looking at that massive consumption of resources and being well-attended by many supposedly on the side of conservation. What a farce. As far as I'm concerned, if you live in a house greater than 1500 sq. ft., I don't want to hear your bullshit.

#8485 8 months ago
Quoted from mrm_4:Deleted post

Amazingly, I didn't hear one of these scientists encourage people to "follow science" on not being such obese fat asses through it all.

#8488 8 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

If that is your true view… you never followed the science from the start because you didn’t understand what it was describing to you.

I really don't want to travel too far down this (Covid) road and mess up this lovely facts-only thread, but I don't really understand your accusation. The vaccinations were sold as prevention, and they ended up serving as something that just lessened your symptoms. Still worthwhile to the vulnerable, I'm sure, but not what was sold to public. And cases continued to mount despite the vaccine, so it didn't stop the spread either, which was another promise. CDC.gov says that "Having obesity may triple the risk of hospitalization due to a COVID-19 infection." Awesome that that's posted on a government website that no one reads. I don't recall either Covid President, much less any of the scientists even once tell fat people that slimming down could save their lives.

#8539 8 months ago

Mr. Dumas was warned that he was headed toward a charging desert. He decided that he might get a freebie from a campground. Big mistake.

Tesla (resized).jpgTesla (resized).jpg

#8551 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Musky just announced that the best selling CAR in the USA for first half of the year, is the Model Y
(of course, best selling vehicle of any type is Ford F series pickups)
[quoted image]

EV's should be expected to sell without welfare tax credits or they should perish. The number 1 selling car in America that happens to be an EV should DEFINITELY be expected to sell without tax credits.

#8576 8 months ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I know this may be a difficult question, but, why is that, exactly?

For several reasons. Chief among them is that quite simply, the government should be helping you buy your car. Secondly, the government shouldn't be helping automakers sell their cars. The economy runs best when it is driven by demand, not incentives. When supply and demand are artificially manipulated, it has ripple effects that aren't good. We're living with runaway inflation that has put prices several years ahead of where they should be thanks to the government giving people (and businesses) money left and right with no accompanying production behind it, as a result of creating artificial demand.

Quoted from RTR:

Another reason for ICE lovers to also love EVs - When the Saudi's announce a production cut of 1mm bpd, oil prices go up, right? What does EV adoption do to oil demand? Currently looks like around 1.5mm bpd displacement (worldwide) and headed higher.
Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-01/oil-s-displacement-as-a-road-fuel-is-about-to-ramp-up-bnef-says
[quoted image]
Bloomberg prob has a pay wall, but really good info here from visual capitalist: https://elements.visualcapitalist.com/ev-impact-on-oil-consumption/

Quoted from paynemic:

It’s a fair point. For a while there (a couple years?) teslas were not eligible for the tax credit. They still sold like crazy. Even now, only a slim percentage of their cars qualify for the federal credit, and only for buyers under certain income thresholds.

You guys are reinforcing the point that Teslas, of all cars, should not be subsidized.

#8638 8 months ago
Quoted from cconway84:

Just picked up a model x plaid. This will be my 3rd Tesla. Trying to decide do I sell my S or Y. Or keep them all.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congratulations. Totally wicked specs on that one. It's more care than I could ever afford, want, or need. Is that ridiculous steering wheel the only way to get it? 90% of my driving is with my left hand perched the 12:00 position.

#8731 8 months ago

Can we talk about the stupidity of electric lawnmowers now?

My standard 1/4 acre lawn requires anywhere between one and two gallons of gas per summer, depending on rain and grass growth. Electric lawnmower batteries are $100 minimum plus the cost to charge it. And sometimes you need multiple batteries. So, at a liberal $4 a gallon, I can mow my grass for 12.5-25 years for the cost of one battery alone, not even considering the cost to charge it.

#8737 8 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Man they’re much quieter, and don’t stink. I’m all for them. I hate coming in after mowing and smelling like exhaust.
I haven’t looked at the economics very closely though. Might be a money loser at this point. Not sure.

To me, gas mowers are just one of the sounds of summer. And the stinky ones are long gone. They had 2 stroke motors. With a 4 stroke motor, you just smell like grass when you're finished, just as you would with an electric mower.

#8749 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Home Depot said in it's latest press release that Mowers, Leaf Blowers, Edgers, Snow Throwers will be 85% E in 4 years.
Of course, Honda said 2023 is the last year for any of it's ICE home lawn mowers because there is no market for them anymore.
https://ir.homedepot.com/news-releases/2023/06-22-2023-130139664

Just because it's trendy it doesn't mean it makes any sense.

#8753 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That is the fun of a free market.
Consumers will pick out the products that have the features they want.

Absolutely. (The government doesn't help you pay for your yard tools though, unlike EV's, which upsets free market supply and demand.) I have a battery-powered blower. I was tired of the difficulty of starting that 2 stroke motor after a couple of seasons. They get very sludgy. And they do stink. The lawnmower is a different creature, however. Briggs and Stratton motors run forever and maintenance is basically nil. Check and maybe add a little oil at the start of each summer. Blow out the air filter every other season. I've had my current one for 15 years and haven't even had to change the spark plug yet. And like I said, an average 1.5 gallons of gas is all it takes to mow my lawn all season long.

#8761 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They do if they are ICE; through the 4 Trillion dollar yearly oil subsidies
(And still the consumers don't want them)

Those are invisible to the public and are spread out to everyone since everyone uses petroleum products. Very different than targeted free money in your pocket if you drive these specific cars, as in EV's.

2 weeks later
#8888 7 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Correction, the worldwide governments decided a decade ago that the auto industry is going EV.

Yep. And the companies need to stay in their good graces to make sure that the corporate welfare keeps flowing.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider usandthem.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread?tu=usandthem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.