ford-charge-station-pro-install-with-1-conduit-this-time-v0-e1kcy3p1c3za1.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Image 4-21-24 at 1.05?PM (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 13-53-01 Who Wants a Loud Car (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 18-12-04 reddit (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 8.32.26?AM (resized).png
used (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 16-44-36 EV vs. Gas Which Cars Are Cheaper to Own (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 7.44.38?AM (resized).png
IMG_5069 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tripplett.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2942 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

I don’t think most people realize what this is like. Even if you evacuate you could be on the road for hours and hours in stopped traffic, everyone trying to find fuel and bathrooms and food just like you. I don’t know what you’d do if an EV is your only vehicle.

In this situation an EV is exactly what you'd want. Take for instance a Tesla Model 3 with 330 miles range. Knowing a storm is coming you'd charge up close to full. Most people don't realize in stopped traffic an EV uses almost no energy, unlike it's gas counterpart - just whatever you're using for hvac, and that's optional obviously. In fact the slower you drive the more efficient the car is. 330 miles is a combination of city/hwy driving.

A couple of guys took a Model 3 on a track and drove around it at the most optimal speed of 35 mph to see how far it would go. They were able to get just over 600 miles of range before it stopped. That would get you from Orlando to Charlotte, NC - more than enough range to get to a place that has power.

#3062 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

How much?
A/c, screens, lights, computer, etc ... are still running - not sure what that accounts for but it's got to be something.
I mean, everything is still running but the drive motors?

Quoted from girloveswaffles:

It's all range eating power usage, so yes it does count

Yes it counts but it’s a very small amount overall. Being stuck in traffic for a bit would use up almost nothing.

For instance over the last 4 years I’ve camped in my Model 3 several times now. Fold the back seats down and a twin mattress fits perfectly. On the last trip it was a balmy 90 degrees F but inside we were nice and cool and watched Netflix for a few hours before falling asleep. 3 hrs of movies and 12 hrs running the hvac (and some lights) used up only 30 miles (10%) of range.

Quoted from zaphX:

That *is* impressive but let's be real...nobody's gonna make a 600 mile trip at 35mph.

Oh for sure. I was just saying it was possible. And in an evacuation situation, where traffic is crawling out of an area, an EV is actually better as it’s range doubles in stop/go 30 mph traffic.

3 weeks later
#3446 1 year ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

I've always liked the lines of these. Plus, the V12 will get you from 0 to 60 in 4 seconds

4 seconds isn’t fast when you’re commenting in an EV thread.

#3479 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

I need to get better tires for my EV. The OEM tires generate so much road noise and handle like crap, especially in the rain

I've been running the 19" Michelin CrossClimate2's for about 7k miles on my stealth performance Model 3. They are really good in the rain and quite grippy. However I wouldn't call them quiet. I don't find them much louder than the oem tires though. They do have a good 60k warranty - which is good because I usually drive it like I stole it

2 weeks later
#3653 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I was working in CA at the time, and spent December 2018 in Texas driving her car for a month. When I got back to CA and drove my Targa, it very literally felt broken. I'm like, where is the power and torque??
That started EV envy for me - I knew my next car would be electric, but I didn't know which one.
I didn't want the same car she has. The Taycans at the time were 150-200K (4S/Turbo S) - outside my price range.
I test drove a Model S (this was before the current refresh w/ the yoke) - while on paper it was fast, it felt completely dead.
I hated it. Somehow her little Model 3 was so much more fun than the S.

I can relate with this. We’ve been driving a Performance Stealth Model 3 for 4 years now. It doesn’t have the 20” wheels or brakes. When we get in our other gas car it just feels clunky, all wrong, and unintuitive to use. I too drove a few other EVs, including a Model S & X, but they were all just too big, expensive, or badly implemented gas conversions of an EV. The nimbleness of the Model 3 performance is just right. Great power to weight, good handling, etc.

I’m glad they had a Porsche to fit your wants and yes a Boxter one day would be great. We’ve done many long trips. I honestly never see us buying a gas car again.

#3654 1 year ago

There’s so much distain for EVs these days. I don’t get it. There’s honestly a place for both in the world. But I keep hearing so much misinformation too.

For instance “EVs take too long to charge. I just want to pull up, pump gas, and go”. So let’s look at this for a minute. The average American fuels up once a week and takes 7 minutes to pull up, fuel, pay, and go. They also take about 1 or 2 long trips a year requiring fueling up en route. Let’s compare the two…

Gas
7 minutes X 52 weeks x 5 years is 30 hours pumping gas. You always have to stop to pump gas - even if you take no long trips. And if you stop to eat or shop you have to do that after pumping gas - that adds to the time.

EV
Almost all refueling happens at home. Zero time inconvenienced - well I guess a few seconds to plug in. Wake every morning with a full tank. With 330 miles of range for the 1 to 2 long trips you have to stop for 20 minutes every 3.5 to 4 hours of driving to fast charge. But I’d probably be stopping after that much time anyway for food, restroom, stretch, etc. So 20 minutes X 2x a year X 5 years = 3.5 hours. Even if your trip was much longer requiring more stops your fueling time is probably shorter. And you can charge while you eat or shop.

Reality: It takes 5-10x longer to refuel driving a gas car than an EV.

#3699 1 year ago

I too would not recommend keying, vandalizing, or stealing plates. Many cars have dashcams now, locations have surveillance cameras, and just cameras everywhere these days. It’s not worth the thousands you may pay for your actions.

#3706 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Show me this happening thats not some Google image you whipped up.

Sure. This was a park I visited. There were approx 60 parking spots. Including myself there were only 4 cars in the parking lot. This XTerra blocked the single charger. The parking spot was clearly marked EV charging only. It wasn’t even the most convenient spot for where the family went in the park.

Since I was going to stay with my car I blocked them in while charging. I could have went to another charger a mile away but I wanted to enjoy the beautiful day while I ate lunch and the other spot was inside a parking deck.

This was the end of a trip and the 30 minutes charging here while I ate made it so I didn’t have to stop elsewhere to make it back home or I would have just went on my merry way.

996D7BF9-9A7E-483F-AF0C-F84ED4D41314 (resized).jpeg996D7BF9-9A7E-483F-AF0C-F84ED4D41314 (resized).jpeg
#3708 1 year ago
Quoted from cconway84:

But I will say I equally despise EV owners that park at a charger for 30-60 min of charging (hospital wall charger) then leave their car for another 8 hours when it is already done charging.

I totally agree. At our work there's an unwritten 4 hr max charging time rule. Those that come in first should move at lunch and visa versa. There's also an EV email list where you can post that you want/need to charge or that you are done and preparing to move. It works well.

#3711 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Looks like that vehicle is also parked on the wrong side of the street given the direction it is facing.

It’s actually the end of a parking lot and the XTerra is parked nose first into the end parking spot. The back corner spot if you will. Yea f I recall there was a little shade there and it was a hot day. Probably explains why they parked there. But it was labeled on the ground as EV Charging Only.

#3719 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Did they come back and have to wait for you to move?

No I left while they were still having a picnic and playing around the kids area. Family of 4. Had I seen them packing up I would have moved.

#3759 1 year ago

Tesla Supercharger installations around here generally follow the rule that half of the chargers are marked as 10 minute general parking and the other half are marked Tesla charging only. I think that's a fair compromise and with stall numbers in the 10-18 range usually works just fine - for now. As EV ownership expands that can easily be changed with a 5 minute sign swap.

There is one Tesla Supercharger location near here that is in the prime front parking spots at the mall, and that one is always a clownfest. Tesla owners know this from experience and never count on those to not be blocked. The mall said it was done due to available power location - so yea that happens.

I've never seen signs that say "Tesla or General Parking" before, at least not on the east coast. Some of these decisions may be by the property owner as well. Meaning Tesla may be giving them the option on what to post for signage.

#3788 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I got there and every charger spot was taken, and every car in the spot was already full.

Yea that’s annoying and why I like sites that implement a 4 hr max charge time.

That spot has 3 Tesla wall connectors and 2 Clipper Creek J-1772 chargers. Do you have a Tesla to J-1772 adapter?

1 week later
#3928 1 year ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

send an 80amp circuit to the garage for EV charging

You can easily get by with half that unless you are powering something else in the garage too. Most EV wall connectors max out at 30-40 amps anyway. Plus 40A gets you 9.6kW. That will charge most EVs, including Teslas, in 4-8 hrs max. Or just run 50A and put in a NEMA 14-50. Then you can run welders, RVs, EVs, etc.

1 week later
#4015 1 year ago

I'm a Tesla owner, have been since 2018 and love my car. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I am however skeptical of what Elon's plans are for Twitter though. I see so many posts from people saying it was a huge waste of money, that he should have just started his own from scratch, bankruptcy imminent etc. But I have been following Elon for a long time and also saw the same type of comments coming from the same type of people when they acquired a solar startup years ago. Now look at Tesla Energy - 2022 Q3 deployment is up 62% and $1B in revenue up 38% YoY. New 20GWh factory opening in Lathrop, Ca. Demand outpacing supply. etc etc.

So I say let's see what he does here. Based on the past I guarantee one thing, no one knows all he has planned except for Elon. He keeps a lot of his master plan parts to himself and can be quite aloof . And I'd speculate we are talking like a 3-5 yr plan for it to really start unfolding.

#4079 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

- The mining it takes and the conditions of those doing the mining?
- The fossil fuel required to mine and produce the EV components?
- The source of power to charge the EVs?
- The limit range of EVs and charging anxiety it causes?

I haven't watched the video... but I will. I can however speculate what it said, same thing everyone always says. Here's my take on these 4 points. By the way I own an EV for the performance, fun, and cost savings reasons, not environment.

1) It's up to the manufacturer to ensure none of the components come from conflict regions like Congo mines. Tesla does this, requires all materials, including cobalt, to show non conflict sourced. Sadly many other manufacturers don't. We need to have more companies require this. Apple, Dell, Samsung, all of them. There's more conflict materials in our phones, tablets, laptops, and other devices - but I don't see anyone complaining about them.

2) I don't know much data on the second statement. I do know I see articles monthly on many mines switching to EV mining equipment to cut down on the harmful air quality in mines.

3) Power sources continue to improve thank goodness. For instance our use of coal plants in the US has dropped 50% just in the last 10 years! Many will complain that the grid can't handle EVs, and it can't if all cars were EVs tomorrow. However the same thing happened in the 50's with home air conditioning. Houses didn't have AC. As it became popular the power plants adapted. They WANT to sell you power, the grid will adapt. At the current rate of change the grid can handle 100% EVs in under 10 years.

4) Range anxiety is something that exists in non EV owners. If you ask an EV owner if they have range anxiety I bet almost every one of them will tell you they don't have it. Owning an EV is a different mindset to be sure. But really it takes just a few seconds of planning. And almost all of them now will plan routes for you now to include DC fast charging stops. I don't know the state of charge of my car right now, I bet it is around 50%. But I would have no problem grabbing a jacket and heading from here in NC to Florida right now.

Edit: just for fun I looked and my car is at 52% charge. If I went from here to Tampa leaving right now I'd have to stop and charge 5 times for about 20 minutes each time. Every 2-3 hrs stop for 20 mins. So my 10 1/2 hr trip would take me an extra 1hr 15 minutes. Even in a gas car I'd probably stop for a similar time (cumulative) to eat, rest room, fuel, drinks, etc. Difference is in an EV I can charge while I do those things.

Range Anxiety isn't an EV owner thing and neither is longer cross country trip times to be honest.

#4125 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

What creative EV math, 5 20 minute stops equals an hour and 15 minutes. No one stops every 2 hours for 20 minutes in an ICE unless they are traveling with a kid under 3. You're looking at 2 stops for 10 each tops. If you stop for actual food at a restaurant it's not tied to a fuel station location as a bonus. Cross county is a much longer to in an EV

You took some liberties with my comments as well. I said every 2-3 hrs, not every 2 hrs. Historically for me it’s been closer to 3 but I was being conservative. And over the 4.5 years of ownership my average for 89 DC fast chargers is 12 minutes per stop. Again I was being conservative with 20 minutes.

A 10.5 hr trip would have a food stop unless you do a drive through. If you do a sit down meal the trips are the same. Maybe a difference of a few minutes? Hardly anything.

Plus if you compare 5 yrs of waiting to fuel gas vs EV the EV clearly wins. There’s no waiting when an EV charges at home overnight, just during road trips. 7 minutes a week of fueling gas is 30 hrs over 5 yrs. I’ll definitely be under that and at 6 cents a mile.

EDC365F1-D9CF-4D1E-A1C9-56C0D680BD42 (resized).jpegEDC365F1-D9CF-4D1E-A1C9-56C0D680BD42 (resized).jpeg
#4155 1 year ago

Overnight is 8+ hours. That's much longer than the 2 minutes it takes to fill a cars tank. Again typical EV creative math. Whether you are standing there or not it's overnight to fill, not 2 minutes.
Lies about the time are the biggest turnoff listening to EV people.

EV or gas they are both sitting idle overnight. Do you really think that’s an inconvenience? The national average time spent at a gas station is 7 minutes. All I’ve done is present facts, not my opinions. EVs aren’t for everyone just like diesels, vans, or trucks aren’t. There’s a place for them all.

Let’s make this apples to apples. Two new cars at a dealer. They both run on gas. They both cost the same.

Car A: typical gas car. You can fuel up any time but even if you don’t take any long trips you must always go to a gas station to refuel and always pay full price.

Car B: you also get a home fueling station that will pump gas into your car, but it’s slow - 8 hrs from empty to full. You have to take 5 seconds to plug the hose into your gas port however you get this gas for 75% off. But every morning you wake up with a full tank of gas. For the 1-2 long trips over 325 miles you take a year you’ll have to use a slower rate of fueling, so it takes an extra 8 minutes to pump your gas per stop. However you get a reduced price of gas of 50% off even though it takes a few extra minutes. And for all fueling you can shop or do other things so you don’t have to wait at the car.

You’d really pick car A over B?

#4180 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Show me video of you fueling your car from 15% to 100% in 2 minutes. I don't believe it can be done that quickly.

So I pondered this 2 minute stop as I really don’t see it possible for a normal car getting 14-25 gallons. I went to a busy gas station to get Powerball tickets tonight so I watched the 4 people there same time as me. Rules - I skipped anyone that went inside and I timed from the moment they stepped out of their car to the time they got back in. Yes this is a little stalker-ish but my curiosity was peaked. Plus I did find online earlier that the average nationally was 7 minutes - but that could have also included people that went inside.

Car 1 was actually a BMW motorcycle. So only a gallon or two. He took 3.5 minutes but he was using his phone after. From the way he was looking at the pump I’m guessing recording the gallons in some app.

Car 2 was a white truck. I drove by the empty pump when I headed home so I know he got 11 gallons. His time was lightning fast. He couldn’t have done it faster. He waited by the pump handle the whole time and even left his door open. As soon as it clicked he grabbed his receipt and left. His time? 4 minutes. Respectable, but far from 2 minutes.

Car 3 was an Acura. Lady. She sat in her car while it filled and she must have been low because hers was the longest at 6 minutes.

Car 4 was a Mazda and only got 4 gallons. He was right in the middle of the others at 4.5 minutes. He fumbled a lot with his CC, entering in the zip code, etc before pumping - it happens.

So no, 2 minutes to get 14-20 gallons isn’t possible that I saw. Not unless you are sprinting to the pump with their CC out, no zip code verification, no receipt, etc etc. That would be funny to watch though. The real world examples seem to show, for fuel only, it’s more like double that. Still fast though, faster than EV charging but only by 10 minutes and at 3x the price and having to ALWAYS go to a pump it makes over long term at least 2x the time waiting vs charging an EV (98% overnight charging while you sleep). I still have a gas SUV for towing and hauling pins. Got a new pin last week.
2557DA20-B192-4BCF-A017-B3AC4244E5F9 (resized).jpeg2557DA20-B192-4BCF-A017-B3AC4244E5F9 (resized).jpeg

#4189 1 year ago

Did you just call yourself out?

97094A9E-7674-4EF8-BC65-40EC917D7418 (resized).jpeg97094A9E-7674-4EF8-BC65-40EC917D7418 (resized).jpeg
#4190 1 year ago

even if you do a fast charge it's likely not within minutes of your house on the direct route to where you are going

Actually it is, at least for Teslas. It’s a requirement of Tesla Superchargers to have the fast chargers within a mile or two of the interstate, have bathroom access, wifi, and access to a variety of food. They have denied a few good locations because they didn’t meet this criteria. Other DC Fast chargers may not have this requirement. I’ve never seen a Tesla SC more than a mile off an interstate and not have several food choices. There’s a Tesla SC every 100 miles all across the US.

#4213 1 year ago

Typical gas pumps do 10gpm. I needed 11 today. That's just over a minute to fill. Want to add getting in and out. That's a minute unless you're moving slow.

I refueled the same amount of range as you with simply plugging in at home, say 3 seconds, and walking inside for the night. Again I'm not sure how you think overnight charging is any inconvenience for anyone. If your car would automatically dribble gas into it overnight, even if it took 8 hrs, and it cost you 1/5th the cost per gallon of a normal gas station - how many times a year would you stop at a roadside gas station and pay full price? Maybe 3 times a year on a long trip?

You would be stupid not to take advantage of saving the time & inconvenience of standing at a pump (or sitting in your car), even if only a few minutes, along with the substantial cost saving (home fueling would cost you $0.50 cents a gallon) and the convenience of starting every day with a full tank of gas.

Interstates are minutes from everyone's house? No. Then it is likely that the is not a supercharger within a few miles of your house on a direct route to where your are headed.

There is one at 5 miles, 6 miles, 10 miles, and 18 miles - depending on if I was to go N S E or W. All are 1 mile from the interstate and would be on my route if I was to plan a 100+ mile trip in that direction. All would be in range of my car even if I drove 250+ miles earlier in the day. So should a travel emergency happen at night it wouldn't be an issue.

#4261 1 year ago

Going the the highway the shortest way I can is under 3 miles. I will pass 3 different stations with direct access from the road I am on. Not a mile out of the way to find the one available one.

You’re running out of straws and completely ignore the first 2/3 of my post - but I’ll play along…

It’s not one available EV charger, those Supercharger stops have 8-16 chargers per location. At some point it doesn’t matter if you drive past 2 gas stations to get to the 3rd. The fact is you have access to one before the interstate, as do I. And yes they are a mile or less off the interstate if you’re road tripping - same as gas stations.

It seems like you’re saying that gas is better when you have less than 4 miles of fuel in your tank? Who gets that low on fuel? Most gas stations are about a mile off route, same as my charging. How many times have you went home with the fuel light on for half an hour? How many times did you go home with 1/8th of a gallon of gas? I’ll bet never. If your car needs gas you fuel it. If an EV needs fuel you plug it in.

#4263 1 year ago

I didn’t plan on replacing yard equipment with electric, but when a sale happened I got a battery powered blower and trimmer. Sold my almost new Stihl blower and straight shaft trimmer. That almost paid for the shift to Ego and I don’t have to worry about mixed gas any more. Mixed gas is something I wanted 100% to eliminate. I still have our riding mower/bagger - mostly for picking up fall leaves. I then caught a deal on an Ego push mower a few months ago and picked it up. I now have 3 Ego batteries - so even if I “plan on mowing” at a bad time there’s a battery for me to use. You’d have to try really hard to fail to not have enough battery to mow our lot. I don’t always push mow it, but I can if I want to and the riding mower is on its last leg. YMMV.

#4315 1 year ago

I agree that hybrids are really the worst of both worlds. But for some that can’t commit I guess it fits the bill. Problem with them is you’re hauling around all the weight of the “other” power train. Plus like mentioned by zaph you still have all the gas engine maintenance. Your range is reduced due to all that extra weight. Better to just pick one and go with it.

Plus there are few hybrids that have enough range. IMO you need 60-70 EV miles for daily driving. But companies do just enough to claim those gov credits instead of what the public needs.

I’d love something like a Jeep 4xE but it only has 49 miles. That’s in perfect weather, flat ground, no wind, running nothing on the car, and at 40 mph. So more like avg around 30 miles? That isn’t enough for me to get to and from work unfortunately without it flipping to gas. Honestly just give me a 250+ mile range pure EV Jeep.

#4355 1 year ago

they used self-smothering battery packs and the batteries actually contained the fire

That's a really great idea. No thermal runaway event and no fire. I'd sure hate to be Jalopy Jeff though - he got roasted on that video for filming instead of helping. But you know what they say - even bad publicity is good publicity.

#4375 1 year ago
Quoted from Brainiac:

My elderly mother needs to drive from South GA to north GA (approximately 300 miles). What EV can she buy under 40 grand to make the trip without having to stop somewhere she is unfamiliar with?

That's a 5 hr trip. I don't know many elderly that can make that long of a trip without at least one stop. Most EVs out there now can make that trip with zero or one stop - even ones around $40k, which by the way is about $8k under the average price of new cars in the US as of July (all cars, not just EVs).

DC fast chargers are about every 100 miles in GA, so she can stop wherever she's most familiar with. One 12 minute stop should make the trip in an EV without an issue and allow a quick break and bathroom - and at less than half the cost.

#4444 1 year ago

This is going great so far... ohh wait it's down to 66.2 w/m2 in the time to took to write this, so it would take about *40 hours* a day to charge.

Great post and filled with good facts, awesome. The flaw with your logic is that you assume drivers need to replenish all 75 kW / 325 miles every single day. The reality is people only drive about 1/10th of that daily (37 miles is the average) so that’s just 4 to 5 hrs in your worst scenario. So yes solar would take care of 95% of daily commutes, even on a bad day. I do love all the data though.

https://www.ridester.com/average-miles-driver-per-year/

1 week later
#4484 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

a diesel rig with dual 150 gallon tanks (i.e. 300 gallons) can go a maximum of 2,100 miles per fillup

Agreed, best use will be regional and urban routes. However there's also a max that truckers can drive in a day. I'm no expert but reading about my local laws in my state it shows about 11 hrs depending on a few things like weather and adverse driving conditions. First they must take a 30 minute break after 8 hrs. Second a max of 11 hours in a 14-hour shift after 10 consecutive hours off duty. Third a driver may not drive beyond the 14th consecutive hour after coming on duty no matter what.

It really doesn't matter if you have 2,100 miles when you can only drive 650-900 miles in one shift. Plus who's going to drive a distance almost equivalent to coast to coast on a regular basis? So all those dual tanks do is give them the option to buy fuel once every 2 to 3 days. They probably know where the cheapest fuel is so this is a bonus. Granted hauling an extra 1,000 lbs of fuel for no reason will hurt their total hauling load capacity, and probably range a little too. 150 gals is still over 16 hrs of driving at a 65 mph average.

If the Tesla Semi can reach 500 miles that's about 7 hrs of driving. They've already proven the Semi can reclaim 80% charge (another 400 miles / about 6 more hrs of driving) in just 30 minutes which is the mandated rest period after driving 8 hrs anyway. That extra 6 hrs puts the driver at the mandated max daily driving time. Granted I'm sure these Semi range numbers are on level ground with no rain, no headwinds, and at 72 deg F but even at 80% of that is still promising. It proves that this arrangement would work for all but the most extreme long haul truckers (less than <5%).

#4487 1 year ago

Tandem/tag teams wasn't something I considered. Fair point that a tandem team would drive further in a day. I suppose there's always exceptions. i wonder what percentage of semi drivers are doing tandem.

#4491 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Yeah, doesn't everyone know about Cledus & Fred?

Till you’re in a hurry and Fred wants to go for a swim. C’mon Fred we got to go!

#4509 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

'Auto drive' isn't auto drive and it won't be in 10yrs either with roads made for humans that are filled with humans. Make dedicated electrified tracks for the trucks to run on and an operator can control the thing remotely like a ride at Disney.

You're basically describing a train.

#4510 1 year ago

There is a concept called Platooning that Tesla showed during the Semi reveal. The lead Semi has a driver but the ones following it don't. That would be easier to implement since the following Semis just need to follow behind the leader.

The REAL issue is the other human drivers, not it's own 'auto drive' (autopilot) software. A human changing lanes into a driverless platooning Semi for instance. Or a human cutting off one of the following Semis then slowing down. The issues will almost certainly be other driver's mistakes. But working out those edge cases is far easier than having complete autonomy.

The other thing to consider is that the majority of the Semi's time will be spent on the highway - something that Tesla's Autopilot has been good at for a while. It's that few miles at the start and end of the trip that are tricky, not the 99% in the middle.

The highway stuff, changing lanes, taking on and off ramps, etc, my Model 3 has been able to do that for 4 years now - Navigate On Autopilot (NOA) was released in Oct 2018 and has improved over time. It automatically changes into the passing lane to go around slower traffic then merges back. Changes out of lanes that are ending even before I see the signs that it is ending. Moves me to the right most lane, takes the offramp, then the onramp of the next highway, merges into traffic flow. I gotta say NOA is quite solid at this point.

My only complaint with NOA used to be when the timing is horrible like when a car is on an onramp and wants to merge into my lane and we both show up at the same spot at the same time. In those instances NOA used to struggle as it would just persist in the lane at the same speed basically blocking out those cars trying to merge onto the highway. But now it acts more conservative. It sees the merging traffic well ahead of time and starts to decelerate to make a gap.

#4547 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Then I got to thinking, there should be something like that for EVs also.

Depending on where you are it may just be more convenient to tow charge the EV. If you tow a Model 3 for 1 mile at 20mph you'll regenerate 12-15 miles of range at 20mph. That will get most cars to power somewhere - even if just a 110v outlet. Try that with a gas car...
EDIT fast forward to 11:35 for the outcome.

#4558 1 year ago

The 2013-14 Model S packs had issues. That’s the problem you have being an innovator in the long range EV space I suppose. There were Nissan Leafs and other EVs before then but all were shorter range and had foil pack batteries.

Many 2013-14 Model S’s have had their packs and/or drive units replaced. I was told by a few Tesla employees not to buy a 2013 or 14 S for this reason. Tesla improved the packs in the fall of 2014. They also used a new type of cell that went into the 3 and Y (2170 cells) that are far better than the X and S cells (18650’s). This is also evident with the packs producing heat and fire when punctured - easy to happen with the early model S’s, much harder with cars after 2018. When you hear of Tesla fires (or packs/drive units needing replaced) it is almost always a 2015 or before.

This is the reason I wouldn’t own an older Tesla. Growing pains and learning what works best improved Tesla battery packs a great deal over the last 10 years of Teslas. Sometimes it is fun to be an early adopter for something and sometimes it works against you - in this case for example.

#4577 1 year ago

We've already been down this child labor road a few pages back. But... let's do it again...

So Lithium isn't the problem. Lithium is mined by pumping water underground, letting it come back up, then drying it in the sun. Only bad thing is high water use. But Cobalt is definitely an issue. Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has high child labor for cobalt.

So there are two things companies can do here - 1) require cobalt sources to show proof it was sourced ethically or 2) just don't use cobalt in the battery production. Many companies are doing one if not both of these - Tesla for instance. They have gone cobalt free in their LFP batteries (about 50% of production) along with requiring their cobalt suppliers, like Glencore, to show ethical proof of sourcing. Glencore has a copper mine but produces cobalt as a byproduct. Tesla also has cobalt suppliers in Canada.

As consumers it is also up to us. If this is a concern for you then it is up to you to do the research on the company you are buying products from. Find out where they source their cobalt and other precious minerals from. Almost everything has a battery these days. Apple, Google, Microsoft, Dell, and others have been (or are presently being) sued for the deaths and injuries of child miners in the DRC. Do you have one of their products?

If you aren't researching company's products you buy yet you are pointing a finger at EV companies then you need to sit down.

#4613 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Make a stopwatch Video at a consumer gas station and show us
We'll wait

<sigh> I guess we are back to this again. I already did this 10 pages back Vid - post #4180. 2 minute fill up was fake.

Quoted from tripplett:

So I pondered this 2 minute stop as I really don’t see it possible for a normal car getting 14-25 gallons. I went to a busy gas station to get Powerball tickets tonight so I watched the 4 people there same time as me. Rules - I skipped anyone that went inside and I timed from the moment they stepped out of their car to the time they got back in. Yes this is a little stalker-ish but my curiosity was peaked. Plus I did find online earlier that the average nationally was 7 minutes - but that could have also included people that went inside.
Car 1 was actually a BMW motorcycle. So only a gallon or two. He took 3.5 minutes but he was using his phone after. From the way he was looking at the pump I’m guessing recording the gallons in some app.
Car 2 was a white truck. I drove by the empty pump when I headed home so I know he got 11 gallons. His time was lightning fast. He couldn’t have done it faster. He waited by the pump handle the whole time and even left his door open. As soon as it clicked he grabbed his receipt and left. His time? 4 minutes. Respectable, but far from 2 minutes.
Car 3 was an Acura. Lady. She sat in her car while it filled and she must have been low because hers was the longest at 6 minutes.
Car 4 was a Mazda and only got 4 gallons. He was right in the middle of the others at 4.5 minutes. He fumbled a lot with his CC, entering in the zip code, etc before pumping - it happens.
So no, 2 minutes to get 14-20 gallons isn’t possible that I saw. Not unless you are sprinting to the pump with their CC out, no zip code verification, no receipt, etc etc. That would be funny to watch though. The real world examples seem to show, for fuel only, it’s more like double that. Still fast though, faster than EV charging but only by 10 minutes and at 3x the price and having to ALWAYS go to a pump it makes over long term at least 2x the time waiting vs charging an EV (98% overnight charging while you sleep). I still have a gas SUV for towing and hauling pins. Got a new pin last week.
[quoted image]

#4615 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

How many years will it be, do you think, before we have a good choice of cheap EVs? By cheap, I mean the equivalent of a Toyota Corolla or such? The average any person vehicle.

I think people are living in the past. The average price of a new car in the US per KBB for Oct 2022 was $48,000. There are a lot of really good EVs at this price point and even cheaper. For example before Ford increased its F-150 lightning prices (due to overwhelming demand) the price after rebates started about $30k. An EV will save you about $8k per 100k miles in fuel. If you plan to drive 150k+ miles you can get under under $20k total cost of ownership easy. This doesn’t even consider maintenance savings.

#4616 1 year ago

He was sent the video link, f off. It's way under 2

Why not post it publicly? And we don’t need a video of YOU running around like a deranged headless chicken. Post a video of a random stranger fueling 11+ gallons and doing it under 2 minutes from the time they exit their vehicle to the time they get back in. Won’t happen. I watched a local station and measured random people in my post and I’d be happy to re-check it or have anyone else to do the same.

But even if gas is double that’s still faster than EV charging - which I said in my post. The real comparison, which I’ve already also proved, is that even at 2-4 minutes you’ll still wait longer to fuel gas than an EV owner over the whole vehicle ownership - since 99% of EV charging is done while they sleep. This isn’t debatable, it’s math. Fueling time isn’t a deterrent for any EV owner. Ask any of them.

#4620 1 year ago

Waiting overnight is *never* shorter than waiting 2 minutes. Again with the creative counting. 2 minutes a week is always less than 40 hours a week. That's not debatable, that's real math, not made up crap. You literally told me to record a 2 minute full up. I did and sent it to someone as proof. Someone who's been on this site forever, now you move the goalposts and say it can't be a video of me. You're so full of #$&%. There is no running around just filling a gas tank. It's literally 2 steps from the car door to the tank. I don't need to show you, or anyone, but I chose to show a well known long time member. There have been EV people in this very thread who have openly admitted charging can be a hassle.

How can you not get this? Let's call it 'how long you have to literally stand there WAITING at your vehicle' then instead of 'how long to fuel'. For me plugging it at home once or twice a week it is a few seconds - plug in and walk away. For you it's 2-5 minutes - or 20 times longer. When you wash your clothes at home do you stand in front of your washing machine for 50 minutes staring at it waiting for it to be done? Do you plug your cell phone in and sit watching it charge for 30 minutes? No, that would be stupid - you go about your day. You can't be so naïve to not see this.

As for the 2 minutes I bet I could watch for an hour at a public gas station and not see someone refuel in 2 minutes or less (that fueled at least 11+ gallons). But it really doesn't matter. Even at 2 minutes it's still much higher of an inconvenience to my time.

#4622 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

2022 (Jan-Nov) Ford F-Series Sales:
- ICE F-Series = 467,307
- Lightning F-Series = 13,258

If you want to call 2.8% out of all the F-Series trucks sold in 2022 "overwhelming demand", then so be it. Granted, Ford has stated they plan on increasing production to 150,000/yr which would be about 30% of the F-Series trucks produced.

A friend of mine stopped at a Ford dealership that had a Lightning he wanted to purchase and review for his channel. They wanted double the sticker price. I know some Ford dealerships have had their hand smacked by Ford for this so hopefully price gouging has improved. I wouldn't call it a percentage price of overall F-150's but instead a consumer demand that would allow a dealer to literally tack on $30-60k and get it.

https://twitter.com/itskyleconner/status/1572349929112375299?s=20&t=pTPCxNQ_wX_HvryTcB2_Rg

#4634 1 year ago

I check email, watch the birds, etc. I'm not waiting for the fill any more than your are in your garage. I just get to leave 12 hours sooner with a full range available.

The difference is we are both living our normal lives at home during those 12 hrs - whether the EV is charging or not I'd still be doing the same thing, same as you.
However while you are waiting at the pump you wouldn't be looking at birds and your phone if you weren't waiting on your car to finish pumping gas.
I don't randomly pull off the road, sit in a parking lot, and look at my phone and the birds for 2 minutes for no reason.

What are you doing while your phone is charging for a half hour? The same thing you'd be doing if it wasn't charging. You're not sitting by the phone staring at the birds out the window. Well, maybe you are, but that would be because it is your choice not because you were forced to wait and needed something to fill the time.
I'm sorry this logic is escaping some, it's not that hard to understand really.

#4637 1 year ago

2 minutes 400+ miles that's the logic that escapes you. If you use your car and run it low you are stuck. Either overnight at home, not for 10 seconds, or going to find a place your can charge for way more then 2 minutes.

I don't disagree with this, as I've said before on other posts. Fueling gas on long trips is faster.

However every morning I can have 330 miles of range. There are only one or two times a year I take a trip longer than that. So on those times, yes, I'd have to stop every 3.5 hrs of driving for 20 minutes and then I'd be good for another 3.5 hrs of driving again. I'd argue that I'd normally need to stop every 3.5 hrs anyway for a bathroom, drink, or food - all things I can do while charging.
But let's say for argument's sake I didn't need to stop.

Me 2x a year stopping for a 30 minute DC fast charge = 1 hr waiting. The rest of the charging is done at home.
You refueling gas weekly at 2 minutes per stop = 1hr 45 minutes waiting.

You can see how the time spent charging argument is really pointless when you take a wider look at it.

#4652 1 year ago
Quoted from mtp78:

Ev vehicles are the biggest modern day scam . They are a "green" alternative but they amplify the need of energy from a coal driven power plant grid. They are increasing our carbon footprint.
The batteries in the vehicle are made with hazardous and toxic materials that will need large factories to recycle or dispose of which require power to run.
I guess they can use windmills to supply the grid for these issues. Wink wink

Hi, I see you’re new here.

#4661 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Where’s the chart that shows the higher that green line gets the more frequent the grids outages and reliability issues also climb?

Why would you think renewables would be any less reliable than coal or nat gas? The only recent renewable incident I can recall was with offshore windmills in Texas last year - and that was intentionally done and only accounted for like 10% of the outage’s missing power. In one of the greatest forced blackouts in history the culprit was a natural gas problem.

#4674 1 year ago

Many states have that Vid. We have “time of use” options where I live. You can pay as little as 6 cents a kw if you are willing to use most of your power during non peak times. But if you use too much power at the wrong time the price goes up really fast. Hence I’ll stick to 11 cents per kw any time of day.

#4731 1 year ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

To be fair, if an EV battery died after 10 years and/or ~250K miles, and I could get it replaced for under $10K, that seems entirely reasonable assuming that I could get another 10 years out of the car.

I think that exists today on most EVs made in the last few years. When people bring up expensive replacement costs for an EV battery it's usually one of two articles they've read. First are about older Tesla Model S models costing $20k to replace and more recent a 2012 Chevy Volt viral article where the dealer quoted nearly $30k for a battery replacement.

For the first one... yes the early days of Tesla the packs were not that good quality wise and the production costs were high - around $17-20k. Remaking those packs isn't automated like the more recent ones from Tesla. I wouldn't even consider a used Tesla older than 2017. Tesla's battery goal was to get the price down under $100 per KW. They stated this about 2014. Around 2019 they achieved this. A Model 3's pack is 73KW. Tesla packs went from $17k down to $8k in just 5 years - the production cost literally cut in half. Now that's production so replacement would include labor on top of that. Their packs have an 8 yr warranty. What do you think a replacement cost will be in 8 yrs from now? I'd say $5k or so.

For the second one, that crazy hybrid Chevy Volt pack. Chevy decided not to vertically integrate and instead farmed out the pack creation for their Volts to a 3rd party. That party was contacted about the 10 yr old discontinued Chevy Volt and gave Chevy an astronomically high price. They were long out of production, had to be basically built one-off by hand, and this third party battery maker had Chevy over a barrel. This is not typical. As the tech has improved so has the price and so has standardization as well as in house production. Replacement hybrid packs today are around $2-3k.

1 week later
#4875 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

- PLEASE produce/show sports car EVs instead of the constant barrage of 4-door family sedans. I want to see something that actually rivals their ICE counterparts in style and purpose. I know there are EV sports cars, and I sort of get the point of showing how our father of four dad car can beet your single billionaire playboy car, but come on. There is so much more to cars than the 1/4 mile.

Agreed. Perhaps when the Tesla Roadster is released others will start to follow. Until then if you have an extra $2M and want to go 258 MPH you can get a Rimac.

#4877 1 year ago

yea that is a problem huh?

But... if they manage to do what they said and incorporate a COPV and cold gas thrusters into the SpaceX trim Roadster it's a game changer. That is if regulators let them do it.

We can see from that video that these EVs are at the max grip the tires can take. More power wouldn't make the car any faster - period. If there's some type of 'assistance' the car could get for getting off the line then a good part of getting all the weight moving can be overcome. A quick shot of air can do that - although I wouldn't want to be behind the car when it happens. Might be a track only thing... and probably be outlawed real quick at drag strips.

#4891 1 year ago

I love the look of the e-tron gt. It took them forever to come to market - they said “coming soon” 13 years ago in 2009, and was even featured in Avengers Endgame 3 years ago. I have some issues with it though. First the $99,900 starting price but to even match the performance of a Tesla Model 3 Performance ($60k) you have to get the RS trim at $139,900. It also has a huge 93kW pack vs the 3’s 72 kW. And at only 232 miles of range it falls way flat of almost everyone else coming to market today. Hell the new Nissan Leaf almost has that much range (212). I consider the whole thing a black eye to VW as it could have been so much better. Heavier, late to market, expensive, and shorter range than everyone else. Still kudos to VW for designing a great looking car.

00FF4C05-D65B-4737-AB37-ECC4B834AAA9 (resized).png00FF4C05-D65B-4737-AB37-ECC4B834AAA9 (resized).png
#4933 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I'll ask the wife if she's noticed any on her M3 LR (RWD.)

Oooohhh a unicorn Model 3 LR RWD? They should have kept making those - so efficient.

#4980 1 year ago

Now back to your regularly scheduled non water heater program…

17AC1C42-51A8-450F-B1DD-BD591DD0287D (resized).jpeg17AC1C42-51A8-450F-B1DD-BD591DD0287D (resized).jpeg
#4982 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Maybe we should all be buying Tesla stock while it's even further down at $114 per share?

I added shares at $110 Tuesday.

#4993 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Bottom line is that I really don't care what the ratio of EV's to ICE sales are

Yet almost your entire reply was based on it... For me I was just surprised it took the #1 spot - even if it was just one month in one country.

Yes the headline was a little over the top but sadly that's the world we are in these days. If I wanted to sensationalize it I would have left off the part under the image where it clearly says just a single month "Tesla Model Y became the best-selling car in all of Europe in November". I made sure I included that.

I liken this to the headlines that recently went around saying Tesla is slashing Model Y prices due to demand problems when in fact Model Y is 10% more expensive today than same time last year and no production numbers had been officially released. All data was from 'unnamed sources'. Tesla raised prices half a dozen times the last year and the news didn't say anything then they dropped them once and the news went nuts saying there must be a demand problem. Tesla even said during an ER call that shortages was the reason for increasing pricing and they would lower them when they could.

News has no memory and is only interested in what gets them the most clicks - nothing more. Most clicks = most money.

#5029 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Only got a pic of the 3. Frunk emblem was also removed.

Hard to tell but it looks like a matte black wrap. Could they have just removed them to install the wrap then decided they liked the clean look? I haven’t seen any de-badging on the east coast but I’ll keep my eyes open.

#5030 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

apparently sales have taken a steep drive and they've done some price cuts to incentivize purchases.

I’ve heard and seen other articles claiming how bad the price cut news is too. But Tesla raised prices on Y for over a year and only lowered them recently. Yes, probably to boost EOY numbers, but still Y is 10% more expensive today than it was just a year ago.

As for sales diving - we will have to see next week (and EOM at ER) when numbers come out but I’m guessing they will have sold every car they could make last quarter. China demand may end up showing a little soft but they just export any remaining cars to Europe, as always.

For shareholders it’s more about high production and low inventory on hand than one market’s ebb and flow. China had 1,500 local sales in April then 77,000 sales in May. China’s numbers vary wildly month to month - but total Q4 sales are most likely a new delivery record. You can’t have steep diving sales and new all time high delivery records at the same time.

#5040 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

The Y was white standard gloss paint.
My son wrapped his TT several years ago. He reinstalled all badges with new trim tape.

Right, but the one in the picture you posted has been wrapped matte. Look how shiny the windows are compared to the paint. Look how shiny the black car is that’s in front and one lane to the left of it. It also has an aftermarket spoiler so the owner likes to customize their car. Many owners decide not to re badge their wrapped cars. All I’m saying is I wouldn’t include them in your count.

0DE521ED-93F4-4902-8078-0A2A673F0160 (resized).png0DE521ED-93F4-4902-8078-0A2A673F0160 (resized).png
#5041 1 year ago

I usually drive my Model 3 AWD like I stole it. I paid for the performance and it’s one of the things that sold me on the car. I’m going to enjoy every bit of it, even if it is hard on tires.

That said I surprisingly got 44k miles out of my factory 19” Continentals. My car has had a day at the track too and also had a performance chip installed at 20k miles. So half of those miles were with the chip - unlocked rear motor to P level so 0-60 went from 4.2 seconds to 3.1 seconds.

When I replaced the Continentals I went with michelin crossclimate 2‘s that have a 60k mile warranty. If I wear them out before that then Michelins will offer a prorated warranty. I have 12k on them and don’t see any noticeable wear. I do believe I got a good built 3 though. When I had my tires rotated at 10, 20, 30k etc the tech said they were wearing almost dead even and really didn’t need to be rotated. So some of it could be each individual car’s set up.

#5066 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I'm betting autopilot or "full self driving beta" are involved.

I’m not convinced zaphX. It’s possible they had on adaptive cruse control, but not autopilot. Autopilot follows the lane lines - almost to a fault sometimes. It also defines ‘undriveable area’ quite well and will not enter that area. Unless the lines went over the cliff I don’t think it would be involved. Same for FSD. Good thing is there’s a ton of logged data - so they will be able to tell every little detail about what inputs were being applied and what modes the car was in.

#5074 1 year ago

Drove off a 250 ft cliff with kids in the car! Wow that's messed up. Look, life is precious, but if you want to take yourself out leave everyone else out of it.
Also, if you want to suicide via driving a car off a cliff perhaps don't use the car with the highest safety score ever tested - https://www.notateslaapp.com/news/956/tesla-model-y-receives-top-safety-score-of-any-vehicle-ever-tested-video

Fll2Hh6akAA8QvA (resized).jpgFll2Hh6akAA8QvA (resized).jpg
#5097 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Fossil fuels have lifted billions out of poverty world-wide, improved our farming, made the world smaller with travel, brought uncountable goods and services to our daily lives, etc. If those individuals and companies that supply these goods and services earn wealth because of it, then that is what the market decides. Not to mention the hundreds of millions of people (including seniors on fixed incomes) who depend on this industry for monthly income through dividends on investments/ownership of the fossil fuel production companies.

Just because it generates wealth, improved travel, supplied goods & services that doesn't make it right or better for us. For instance what if I remove the word Fossil Fuels in your paragraph and replaced it with 'Slave Labor'. The whole paragraph would still be true as the world was a thousand of years ago but that doesn't make it right or better for the human race.

You could also use Big Pharma like Mylan in 2016 - people can't afford medication like EpiPens that went up 400% because of companies making their living and retirement off of the sick. They "depend on this industry for monthly income through dividends on investments/ownership of the" drugs. " If those individuals and companies that supply these goods and services earn wealth because of it, then that is what the market decides."

#5108 1 year ago

There's been several of these petrol vs EV races and they all turn out about the same. Interesting to see these comparisons... I saw one today and pasted a link below if you want to view it.

TLDR - 9.5 hr 900km (560 mile) trip from Sydney to Melbourne Australia in two Hyundai's - basically an all day drive trip. The petrol car won by 38 minutes.

The EV charged 4 times and was delayed at one charger - so the race could have been even closer. Total time charging the EV: 34 minutes. The extra 4 minutes was due to going through a town after charging enroute to the highway.
Petrol stopped 3 times - twice for fuel and a food/drink stop. Interestingly he said he would have preferred to stop a 4th time on that long of a trip.

At one point half way through the trip they were just 7k (4 miles) apart. So if you're cannonballing go with petrol but if you are the average human that will stop for 30 minutes for food once on a 9 hr trip the total time is about the same. This also assumed the petrol car was full at the start of the trip - usually not the case.

Found the fuel cost differences:
Tucson - $112
Ioniq 5 - $67

#5111 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Note that 1 Australian Dollar converts to $0.69US today.

Well sure, but that has nothing to do with my post. The point wasn't how much US dollars were spent but instead that road tripping with an EV isn't much longer (and arguably more enjoyable) at half the cost.

#5115 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Funnier than a SNL skit.....unless you are a stockholder[quoted image]

I found a good article on this Vid that seems to contain at least some factual data collected from the family and friends. You can read around the pop up that wants you to sub to read it uninhibited, but really just put any email address in, even fake, to dismiss it.

I found it interesting to learn that his father had a stake and only doubled his money over 5 yrs then it was over. That's a decent investment, but not spectacular. Also it wasn't even a large part of his father's income over those 5 years - yet this story comes up a lot in the media. There was never any official documents or agreement on this stake, just a handshake. Also lots of mention saying it was blood emeralds yet Zambia wasn't a conflict country. None of his father's income helped Elon after he left home at 17 (aside from one investment in Zip2 well after the business began and the sons returned 10x that back to their father 5 yrs later). So really why does it all matter?

I guess it just goes to show how corrupt media is and that they really are just after the clicks and whatever headline will bait you in.

https://savingjournalism.substack.com/p/i-talked-to-elon-musk-about-journalism

#5131 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Sure. I watched a video call between Elon and many Twitter engineers, including the fairly famous George Hotz aka GeoHot.
Elon decided the whole thing needed to be rewritten from the ground up.
When pressed why, he simply said “have you seen our crazy stack?”
GeoHot, in earnest, asked Elon to define specifically what was crazy/wrong with it compared to other high volume sites.
It’s an absolutely legitimate question to ask. Elon couldn’t answer so he instead called him names.
For me that was the moment it became crystal clear; he’s not a brilliant engineer visionary. He’s a rich kid bully with no technical skills.

Elon is known to overstep to a fault. But if you listened to the exchange then you heard/saw the jest, mocking, and poking several people were doing on the call before the name calling started. The exchange was not civil, by either side, and I'd argue that the ex twitter employees were actually the ones ramping things up. Why was Hotz on the call anyway if he had resigned earlier that day? And Brown had left in 2021. All had recently experienced a fairly hostile takeover by Musk so I'm not shocked by the way it went really. EDIT: I see that Musk hired Hotz back Nov 22 as an intern to fix the search engine but that he resigned earlier on the day of this call.

The exchange started with Hotz saying something about "features as high as possible". I assume he's discussing adding a lot of new features. To which Elon said If you want to have a high velocity of new features they'll need to amend the stack that exists or rewrite it. Not really a crazy statement - why had Twitter not added these new features at that point? Probably because some rewrite was needed.

We just went through a huge rewrite for a project in our company in fact. Many years and developers, most not even employed anymore, have left code that is no longer relevant and disjointed. We also needed to take the code in a new direction. To add some new features we had to spend 6 months rewriting a whole section of how part of the code logic was originally done. Elon hates messy code, that's well documented. He's even said it's better to not need certain lines of code if there's a better way to do it.

Anyway, the banter continues with Brown asking for clarification. It's at this point things turn south. You can hear several people laughing at Musk in the background and then send laugh emojis. When Musk starts to reply they just continue to talk over him until Musk says 'who are you'? To which Brown replies 'you gave me the F*ing mic'. Hotz tries to settle things down. Brown eventually settles down then asks Musk what's wrong with the stack. But at that point the whole thing had gone off the rails.

https://twitter.com/pwnsdx/status/1605442608603463680?s=20&t=SRXJpV_NZfDgmZgaDLTtcA

#5133 1 year ago

Fairly good read about the exchange here too, with some background info. I think if you take this whole thing in, instead of out of context, you'll see that both sides played a part in how this turned out.

https://nypost.com/2022/12/22/elon-musk-loses-cool-with-ex-twitter-employee-during-spaces-chat/

#5143 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

That has got to be the dumbest-looking vehicle ever made. Which means, it probably will be insanely popular. Suicide doors?

Don't worry. Legacy auto makers love to show how cool a concept looks - and then don't deliver.
This is the Porsche Taycan Turbo S (Mission E concept) that everyone wanted - wide rear hips, great lines, suicide doors, awesome side scoops, no mirrors, etc. But that's not what Porsche ultimately delivered. Same story for the Mercedes EQS, Audi e-tron, and so many others.

In the end they find out the costs are too high, just not practical, or some other logical reason to cut all the good stuff.

Capture188 (resized).PNGCapture188 (resized).PNGPorsche Taycan Promise (resized).jpgPorsche Taycan Promise (resized).jpgPorsche-MissionEConcept (resized).jpgPorsche-MissionEConcept (resized).jpg
#5154 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

No jokes in that article about Tesla submarine revealed, or Tesla shares continues to sink?
No Lotus or Spy Who Loved Me references??
[quoted image]

Funny you should bring this up - Elon Musk owns the Wet Nellie submarine car from the movie The Spy Who Loved Me. Wish i could have been lucky enough to get a $100 storage container with something like that in it! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_Nellie

Upon completion of filming, the submarine went on a promotional tour.[4] Afterwards, it was shipped to Long Island, New York, and placed in storage. The storage unit was prepaid for 10 years; at the end of the lease, no one claimed the contents, so the contents of the storage locker were placed on auction. The buyer paid less than $100 for the unit.[4][8] The buyers did not know the contents when they bought it, and from 1989 to 2013 occasionally exhibited the submarine.[8] The then owner, also owner of a tool rental shop, had the exterior restored.[4] It was put up for auction as a Bond car in 2013.[8] In September 2013, the submarine sold at auction for £550,000,[9] at RM Auctions in Battersea, south west London.[6] Elon Musk bought the vehicle, and as of 2013, planned to convert it into the functional car-submarine from the film.[10] Musk stated that he plans to use Tesla Motors' electric drive train in making his conversion a reality.[11]

#5177 1 year ago

White is only no charge "free" color, hence the proliferation of white Teslas

Tesla’s default used to be black. Then everyone complained to Tesla that everywhere else, especially in Europe, the default color is white. Plus Tesla was discovering how hard it was to make a black car look clean and not show scratches. So prepping the black cars was taking way longer.

#5187 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

When you are spending $60K what's another couple of hundred bucks to customize the color?

When it isn’t a couple hundred but instead $2,000.
Edit: Red is 2k, the rest are 1k. I think red used to be 2.5k actually. The white is a nice metallic flake white though. If I bought another I’d get the white even if it wasn’t free.

#5198 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Currently the Model Y Long Range has a list price of $52,990. By adding $2,000 just to get red you are increasing the price of the car by 3.8%. This seems kind of high, as I think I've paid $500 or so before on a special color for a $45K vehicle which slightly over a 1% increase.

You’re correct. The red is a multi coat and the reason it’s 2x price. But it isn’t even a nice red IMO. Google Tesla Signature Red - it’s a nice red similar to this one. Think of a glass of Cabernet and you’ll be close. Mazda has a nice red too. Tesla is introducing a few new colors but not in the US unfortunately.

57E19E8A-3B69-4BA8-A1E1-6E87E5577162 (resized).jpeg57E19E8A-3B69-4BA8-A1E1-6E87E5577162 (resized).jpeg
#5212 1 year ago

I was really hoping for a little more from the e-ray than that. 0-60 2.5 sec and a 10.5 second 1/4 mile for a six figure car is not that good. Especially since a Plaid can do low 9's and even high 8's with some weight reduction - at the same price. Now granted there's some sexiness to the vette but then again all that is personal preference too.

#5231 1 year ago

We covered the conflict cobalt a few pages ago. It’s up to the companies that consume the cobalt to confirm where and how it was sourced. Some companies, like Tesla, are finally public about this information and sourcing locally (Canada) and requiring confirmation of non conflict cobalt or removing cobalt entirely. Some are not. Several are in lawsuits about this very thing - Apple and Google come to mind but there ar more.

As paynemic has said there’s so many devices that use batteries in our lives. I think we would all be shocked at how and where some components for devices we use every day are sourced. Doing due diligence BEFORE you come to conclusions is the only option. Believing one online article or video is not that.

#5240 1 year ago
Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

EV’s are a fad. They are not sustainable.

What part of them is not sustainable when over 95% of the battery components can be recycled right back into new cells with zero loss of functionality? That means at a certain point almost no new materials will be needed. I'm curious what you mean by not sustainable.

Hydrogen and fusion are breaking solid ground

Indeed they are but there are so many problems with hydrogen it is DOA in my opinion. Who wants to be tied to a fuel pump? I'm so happy to have ditched the need to stop at a fueling station every week it's not even funny. To be able to 'fuel' at home (or literally anywhere there is an electric plug) is a huge benefit to EV ownership.

Plus it isn't hard to find all kinds of problems with hydrogen. For one it's hard to contain without it escaping. But the largest issue is that you're using electricity to create hydrogen that is stored, transported, stored, pumped to cars, then used to create electricity. You see the problem there right? Using electricity to power an EV means that 75% of the power is directly converted to the wheels. Where as hydrogen is less than 25%. It is far less efficient to use - and it's not even close. Much better to just use that initial energy to fill a battery.

And hydrogen costs are about double the cost of gas - $0.25 per mile vs $0.14 for gas or $0.03 for an EV charged at home. That means over 100,000 miles of ownership a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle will cost you $14,000 more than a gas car or a whopping $22,000 more in fuel than an EV. That's another compact car! Cost is a huge deterrent for consumers. Perhaps eventually the infrastructure improvements will help bring this cost down - if it survives long enough.

That said, I believe there is a place for both. Hydrogen may be a good fit for mass transit. Bus, train, semi, etc. But I don't see it ever catching on for the general commuter car.

temp (resized).PNGtemp (resized).PNG
#5244 1 year ago

Blah blah blah carry on.
Batteries suck. Not sustainable.
Carry on.

So you have no logical reason then?
Carry on.

#5271 1 year ago

Gas is $0.15 per mile, EV is $0.03 per mile. Over 100,000 miles that’s $12,000. Not to mention other engine belts, hoses, brakes, trans flush, etc maintenance savings. It’s very probable that you’ll save $15k per 100k miles driven in an EV. I’m on pace for this actually. What happens when you drive it for 200k miles? That’s a considerable amount of money. Total cost of ownership should be considered. A $30k EV would be the same (or cheaper) than a FREE gas car.

Most consumers would buy a home water filter that is $3k vs one that is $5k. However if the replacement filters are more expensive for the cheaper one and you use it for 10 years you could actually end up paying double or more for the cheaper one. This concept escapes most unfortunately as they just focus on the upfront cost.

#5304 1 year ago

I sold some on the way down but had buys and added those shares back at 150, 130, and 110. Basically lowered my average.

#5326 1 year ago

2 EVs take spots in the Top 10 best selling cars in the World for 2022.

Toyota Corolla: 1.12 million (down 2% vs last year)
Toyota RAV4: 870,000 (down 14% versus last year)
Ford F-Series: 787,000 (down 9% versus last year)
Tesla Model Y: 759,000 (up 88% versus last year)
Toyota Camry: 675,000 (down 3% versus last year)
Honda CR-V: 601,000 (down 18% versus last year)
Tesla Model 3: 596,000 (up 4% versus last year)

If the list was sorted by revenue Model Y takes top spot since it averaged a sale price of $55k. Every other car in the top 10 declines.

"But but but people can't afford high priced EVs..."
note: the average price of a new car in November 2022 was almost $49k.

#5330 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I suspect if Taco Bellyache was serving crickets and mealworms for protein, then it wouldn't give me the usual DEFCON 1 Rumbly Tumbly.
Also..

The funniest part of this 8:57 video is that Bill is on camera 8:54 and his guest, the girl showing cleavage, is on for 3 one second clips. But what do they use for the thumbnail? Cleavage

#5347 1 year ago

There's a history of Crappy Tesla Model S cars going up in flames spontaneously.

I tend to agree with this. Almost all of the Tesla fire articles I’ve seen cite they are 2013-14 Model S. Those older 18650 cells and the way those packs back then were built aren’t as good as the Model Y & 3’s 2170 cells. I’ve only seen a couple of 3 & Y fires - and those haven’t been runaway events. Those older S’s have issues if the pack is punctured. My guess is this latest one ran over an object that punctured the pack - not an easy feat but like an alternator or large metal object could do it.
And newer S and X were made much better, surrounded with flame retardant, better protection, and now are using the 2170’s too. Luckily the overwhelming majority of Teslas on the road wouldn’t have this problem or at least handle it much better. I wouldn’t have a problem buying any used Tesla made after say 2016.

Edit: look at the pictures… the whole front of the car is burned but the HV batteries are basically under the car between the front and rear wheels - mostly behind where the fire was. This seems to imply the front of the pack was compromised. Possibly by running over something. I hope they do a follow up investigation.

#5366 1 year ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

What about the Model X in 'Self Drive' mode that spent 20 minutes bashing backwards and forward at a school fence, seemingly trying to attack the kids on the other side.

That was a satire piece from The Onion. OMG you didn’t really believe that did you? A Tesla can’t even do that in self drive mode.

There are at least 3 problems with that story.
If the driver’s hands aren’t on the wheel the car would disconnect self drive after 30 seconds.
Self drive won’t drive on roads that don’t have lines so I guess there were lines leading up to the fence?
Self drive won’t move forwards and backwards.

The Onion’s articles are all about satire, shock, awe, and frequently non-fiction. It’s there basically for amusement.

You might want to do some research before posting some of this stuff.

#5400 1 year ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

My dad said there were fights at the gas pumps back in the 70’s during the fuel shortages. I guess EV’s were bound to go through something similar with charging locations.

With every electrical outlet being an EV “fuel pump” there’s one literally within a stones throw of almost everyone on the planet. While it may be slower and inconvenient… should SHTF it’ll be harder to get gas.

Problem we have today is auto makers like VW giving away a year of free DC fast charging with new car purchases. People that live locally will drive from their home and sit in their cars to get that free juice rather than charge at home for a few bucks. It really inconveniences long distance travelers that need those chargers. We really need to do away with free charging to stop incentivizing these new EV owners clogging the chargers to save a few bucks. If they are going to do it they need to limit it to the fast chargers at the dealers - away from the highways and travelers.

#5408 1 year ago

This is a very real conversation that's happened in our household many times. My wife is notorious for letting the fuel level in her car hover around empty. Especially in the winter months.

Same. My wife hated pumping gas & it wasn't my favorite thing to do either. I had to do all the fueling in our cars even if she got home late, it was cold, bad weather, etc. I'd have to go back out and fill up the car(s) so she could go to work the next morning. Man, I don't miss doing that crap!

#5411 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Tesla is just as guilty of this.

I wouldn't say 'just as guilty'. They haven't offered unlimited supercharging since the 3 was released like 6 years ago. Back then there weren't near as many being produced either. They deliver more in 6 months now than all delivered combined 2012-1017.

And the 1,000 miles Tesla offered during a few Q pushes (or with a referral) is really only 3-6 charges - it goes quick. It's nothing like a year or two of UNLIMITED charging. Placing a mileage cap on it is a smarter way to do it and causes you to use it when you need it - like on a road trip.

#5413 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Currently it's 10,000 miles worth of free supercharging, not 1,000 miles. However that's defined.....

The 10,000 miles free Supercharging was only offered Dec 15-31 2022 to push year end sales. They only offered it for those 2 weeks and they’ve never offered that high an amount before. Owners have up to 2 years to use those miles.

They have offered 1,000 miles a few times since 2016 - about once a year and usually for only a few weeks to drive Q end sales.
There is no current free Tesla supercharging being offered with new car sales.

As for how it’s calculated it’s defined by the car’s rated range - which is about 4.3 miles per kW supplied by the charger. It’s about 2,300 kW to go 10k miles. Rates are about 20-25 cents a kW so that’s like a $500 perk.

For reference Kia offers 1,000 kW of free Electrify America fast charging on every single EV they sell - 365 days a year. That’s about 4-5k miles of charging on every single car.

VW is worse going as far as offering 3 years unlimited charging on Electrify America fast charging network on all VW ID.4 models. 30 min max per session, but there’s a bug so all you have to do is move stalls and you can start another session free.

#5416 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I believe the Tesla deal went from December 15 2022 to January 12, 2023.
As for VW's deal being "bad", how does that compare to the free lifetime supercharging (to the first owner only) of early Model S vehicles?

All articles I’ve found say the 10k free miles expired Dec 31 2022 - which makes sense as they wanted to boost year end sales.

Tesla discontinued free supercharging in mid 2016. From 2012 to mid 2016 they produced about 125,000 vehicles total and not all had free supercharging. Not all are still on the road either. But let’s say 50k are still out there? Each Tesla Supercharging location has on average 8-16 stalls. So a few older Model S owners charging isn’t a big deal. Electrify America charging locations are usually only 2 or 4 stalls. Much more of an impact.

VW sold half a million EV’s worldwide in 2022. Much less just in US (having a hard time finding the exact number). But all of those have 3 years of free unlimited charging. Every single one sold daily even today. When they show up at a charger that one car occupies 25-50% of available EA chargers vs a 2013 Model S showing up and occupying 1/10th or less of available Tesla Superchargers.

FD89A73A-BFEE-4636-95B7-1AB2CF9AF873 (resized).jpegFD89A73A-BFEE-4636-95B7-1AB2CF9AF873 (resized).jpeg

#5422 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

One of the articles I found shows January 12th. Another indicated this was due to backlash of weather delays causing vehicles not being delivered by December 31st and Tesla saying they will deliver in early January, but no promised discount and no free Supercharging.....
[quoted image]

Fair enough, but that seems to be a German based 3rd party accessory store instead of a credible news outlet or Tesla itself. It also mentions kilometers and says "until probably January 12, 2023" - low confidence. Perhaps this was only in Germany?

Tesla's own website shows the sale was over on Dec 31st.
https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharger#:~:text=If%20you%20took%20delivery%20of,Supercharging%2C%20open%20the%20Tesla%20app.

Even if Tesla extended 10k to Jan 12th the impact of offering 3 years of free charging by VW (that owns Electrify America's charging network) is just plain irresponsible. 3 years could easily be higher than 50,000 miles vs Tesla's 10,000. Plus with each Electrify America location only having 2-4 stalls (instead of 8-16 or more at a Tesla Supercharger) it greatly impacts the charging location.

Honestly they ALL need to stop offering any kind of free DC Fast Charging. Offer some free accessories, price discount, rebate, premium connectivity service, whatever but not free charging.

#5436 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Assume the charger to the right is dead and there was a car in the parking spot on the left when he arrived, then this would make sense.

Google image search found the reason from 4 years ago from My E-Life Now! Facebook page - "We've found a post from the owner of the car explaining the situation in a Facebook post (embedded below). Apparently, the car, which was somewhat, but not super-low on energy, refused to engage reverse gear. After charging up, it worked properly. Weird."

New Supercharger sites now install at least one pull through station - for those with bike racks or pulling trailers.

deleteme3 (resized).jpgdeleteme3 (resized).jpg
#5452 1 year ago

One interesting EV problem is brake rotors corroding from nonuse

Very true. We don't have as much ice and snow here in the mid eastern US but now at 55k & plan on doing maintenance to my pads next month.
Skip to 5:45 in the vid for pad and pin check/cleaning/lube.

1 week later
#5481 1 year ago

I pay more in extra EV registration fees than I paid in gas taxes. Most states have this already set up for EV registration. Right now for NC it’s an extra $140 per year no matter how many miles I drive. And all that goes to the roads. During Covid I only drove like a thousand miles and still had to pay that $140 a year. That’s like paying a $140 tax on just a few tankfuls of gas. And now they’re trying to raise it even more.

The gas taxes haven’t increased in many years. So I guess you can thank EV owners for picking up the gas tax slack.

Edit: the last time the US gas tax was raised was 30 years ago in 1993. Inflation has risen 93% in that time.

#5494 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Looks like zaphX was right with all of his "wE ARe noT ReAdY" comments after all...
One of the comments in the thread said there is another supercharger "only" 7 miles away. Sadly, a couple Teslas came in with almost zero range and were stuck. No super-dooper battery packs or solar panels there.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Kyle and Alyssa are friends of mine - from right here in eastern NC. I encourage you to watch the full video if you have time. He's been covering all kinds of EV news and reviews since going full time with his company Out of Spec about 5 years ago. He held a few EV Cannonball records here in the US - first set in 2019 with a Model 3 then beat with a Porsche Taycan in 2021 (about 44 hrs 25 mins, including charging time). He even worked for Tesla years ago here in Raleigh.

For the record he's visited thousands of Tesla Supercharging locations all over the world and this is the only time he's ever seen an entire Supercharging location down. Electrify America and others however need to improve their games a great deal.

The new gov mandates will require an uptime > 97% to get any of the new subsidies. That should push these charging stations to remedy the situation if they want any of that money. https://electrek.co/2023/02/15/sick-of-ev-chargers-not-working-heres-how-thats-going-to-change/

#5497 1 year ago

This excerpt seems to say it all…

“The Ukrainian military has used Starlink services effectively against Russian forces. Since the war broke out, Chinese military researchers have repeatedly called for developing capabilities to destroy Starlink if necessary.”

#5590 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

From Tesla article in WSJ today:

Musk: He again dis­missed the no­tion that Tesla could strug­gle to find buy­ers. “De­mand for our ve­hi­cles, in terms of de­sire to own them, may as well be in­fi­nite,” he said.

Meanwhile:

The com­pany, which has re­ported 14 prof­itable quar­ters in a row, slashed ve­hi­cle prices ear­lier this year—some by nearly 20% in the U.S.—amid con­cerns about sag­ging de­mand.

Tesla prices went up, almost monthly, for two years due to the pandemic, chip shortages, etc along with increased prices in materials. Model Y AWD went from $50k to $65k during this 18 month timeframe. Elon even said when they could cut costs again they would.

Now that goods are stabilizing, chips are available, and they've implemented production improvements the prices have come back down and the first thing the media runs to is a demand problem. Nevermind that the new prices are still higher (Model Y AWD) than they were two years ago or that the delivery numbers continue to climb every quarter.
It's a "can't see the forest for the trees" mentality.

https://images.app.goo.gl/FjBLRBZ7uJqoyHAQ6

#5623 1 year ago

I'd wager that because the overall expense of owning/purchasing the F150 lightning, you have to be more wealthy to afford one.

KBB says the average price of new cars sold in the US last year was $49k. The Ford F-150 starting price is $56k. You’ll get a $7,500 tax rebate as long as your tax burden is that. So your F-150 ends up costing you $500 less than the national average new car. That’s before fuel and maintenance savings. So just an average person, not a wealthy one.

Plus the F-150 Pro trim, the starting price one, comes very nicely equipped surprisingly.

1 week later
#5656 1 year ago

Below is an image posted in the newspapers about 1900 when electricity was new and just spreading across the US. People fear what they don't understand. They literally thought it would jump out and kill anyone that walked by it.

It's a shame really. Look at any FB ad for an EV and it's filled with hundreds of posts of complete false and nonsense information. Just a bunch of parrots and lemmings really. Rather than validate any information they go by "its on the internet so it must be true"...

electricity fear (resized).jpgelectricity fear (resized).jpg
#5662 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

New Volkswagen EV called the ID
$27,000 with 270 mile range
No word if they will sell it in the US, as we are not ready.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/volkswagens-id-2all-is-a-sub-30k-ev-for-the-masses-184536573.html[quoted image]

The ID 2all will sadly be for just the European market. VW did this with the ID.3 as well so I'm not surprised. My wife wanted one and it never came to the states. I hope they change their mind. A small sub $30k hot hatch Golf sized EV would be awesome.

"Despite the ID 2all being deemed a concept vehicle, Volkswagen says it will unveil the production version of the ID 2all for all European markets in 2025 with a goal of starting it at less than 25,000 euros."
https://electrek.co/2023/03/15/vw-reveals-id-2all-affordable-ev-concept-with-279-mile-range/

#5674 1 year ago

So where does all this EV misinformation come from and why does it perpetuate when it’s so easily disproven?

2616F3B3-D85D-49C4-A34A-770892476441 (resized).jpeg2616F3B3-D85D-49C4-A34A-770892476441 (resized).jpeg
#5679 1 year ago

There are so many problems with Dan O’Dowd and the Dawn Project. Just Google this stuff, it’s crazy.

He founded and runs a competing project for autonomous driving software. He’s spent millions trying to cut down Tesla any way he can. Yea, there’s no motive there I’m sure.

Dozens of people have tried to recreate his videos and even posted their results on Twitter. In every instance the car stopped or avoided the dummy. Many of them also asked Dan if he wanted to attend a recreation live streamed by an independent party - he denied.

Again… just look at my post above about The Scientific Uncertainty Principle. It doesn’t matter if what he says is true or not. Just that he’s created uncertainty and doubt.

#5688 1 year ago

did it hit the dummy?

Well sure… his video shows it hit the dummy. But his video doesn’t even show that Autopilot or FSD was engaged. Quite the opposite in fact. The AP indicator never turns blue, the visualizations aren’t there, and no audible indication either. All he did was turn on the regular cruse control.

But the dozens of people with in car cameras that tried to recreate it by actually engaging Autopilot or Full Self Driving either one could not get it to hit the dummy no matter how many times they tried. In other words he faked it.

Several news agencies even confirmed it was fake.
https://electrek.co/2022/08/10/tesla-self-driving-smear-campaign-releases-test-fails-fsd-never-engaged/

Even Twitter shows it was faked. Again, back to fear and doubt - whether it’s true or not they get people like you thinking it was true. So they did their job.

1B2DA9C8-A6CF-41C2-9A03-1A630BD611D2 (resized).jpeg1B2DA9C8-A6CF-41C2-9A03-1A630BD611D2 (resized).jpeg
#5690 1 year ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Thing is, in 1900 'electricity' wasn't 'new' . . . neither was Oil (they just changed the name to fossil, so it Seemed exhaustable).

Edison invented the light bulb in 1879 and electricity started becoming more popular after that. Hence my “about 1900” statement. By 1920 just 35% of houses in the US had electricity.

#5706 1 year ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Maybe "I hate lithium slave pollution world-ender" fixation thread. That might be a winner.

More of a problem is kool-aide zombies conflating issues and getting mixed up about what harm is.

Lithium is mined by pumping water in the ground, it comes up, and is evaporated leaving behind the lithium. There’s no slave part involved. You’re thinking of cobalt. Perhaps you drank that zombie kool-aid before getting mixed up and conflating the two?

#5710 1 year ago

Am I over thinking this, or is comparing efficiency percentages kind of useless between ICE and EV’s if the ev is charged by fossil fuels? If combustion itself is around 40% efficient, wouldn’t an ev need to be 100% efficient at using the generated power to be equal to an ICE? Alternative energy sources are a no brainer, but isn’t it a net loss when charged on any other system?

It’s something like 2.5x better even if charged from fossil. I can’t remember the number but it’s been studied to death so should be easy to Google.

I did a quick search and found some data here…. Would need to be verified.
https://driveelectriccolorado.org/myth-buster-evs-are-just-as-bad-for-the-environment-as-fossil-fuel-cars/

It’s been covered here in this thread half dozen times at least too.

#5712 1 year ago

Titan, this MIT study is pretty good at covering EVs powered from a dirty grid. WV is always the stand out dirtiest grid. In West VA a hybrid is actually better - for now. Everywhere else it’s an EV. And as the grid gets cleaner it shifts heavily.

https://climate.mit.edu/ask-mit/are-electric-vehicles-definitely-better-climate-gas-powered-cars

#5730 1 year ago

Sure, I'll address the rest...

"Did the one in Arizona kill the lady on her bike?"
Yes, however the car was trying to tell the system to emergency brake but the Uber developers TURNED OFF that feature. The autonomous software saw the biker a full 6 seconds before impact. Uber coded the software to DELAY braking as they wanted the driver to take over to flag incidents needing further review. They still were relying on the driver to react at that stage of development. That driver was watching her phone in her lap - none of the drivers were allowed to use their phones while testing the vehicles. That's also why she is being prosecuted. Volvo later did it's own tests. The emergency braking, the one the Uber developers disabled, would have prevented the crash in 17 out of 20 scenarios and the other 3 would have been at a non fatal speed.

"Did the one in Cali drive into the K barriers and kill the driver"
It did. The lanes split and the lines on the road actually drove right up to the barrier and the driver, who was playing a game on his phone, didn't notice. The section of road was not marked well and caused many accidents at that same spot (by non autonomous cars). The crash attenuator was even damaged by a crash there just a little while before the crash in question. It was also discovered that if the attenuator had been repaired the driver would most likely be alive today.

I don't defend any of these incidents, quite the contrary. There are no systems out there today that should be considered better than Level II Autonomy. Meaning ultimately it is the driver's responsibility to be in control should the car do anything dangerous. Some situations are out of control of even the best software or drivers, like red light runners. Some accidents and deaths are going to happen no matter what. I think people forget that.

I would also note the data collected in these 'computer on wheels' cars is extensive so we have lots. Tesla releases reports of how often their cars are involved in crashes.
For Q4 2022: using Autopilot there was 1 crash every 4.85 million miles. not using Autopilot there was 1 crash every 1.4 million miles.
The US average is 1 crash every 652,000 miles - 7.44 times MORE LIKELY to be in an crash than using Autopilot.
https://www.tesla.com/VehicleSafetyReport

#5732 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

To clarify - the woman was pushing the bike, and they showed the 'in car video' on the news. The video showed the woman emerging from the shadows in an unlit area of the road between street lights and walking directly in to the path of the car. They gave no explanation why the homeless woman did not see the oncoming cars headlights in the middle of nowhere. It did not seem like an accident that a human driver would likely avoid.

She routinely charged her phone via an electrical plug in the median. On the night of the accident she was wearing a dark coat and clothing. She was also tested positive for methamphetamines - perhaps explains how she didn't see the car. Four signs in the median warned people not to jaywalk directing them instead to a crosswalk 380 feet away. And looking at the video I would guess a human driver would have hit her more often than not too. But that's where the new system was better but failed. It saw the woman a full 6 seconds before impact but the human programmers told it not to react. Sad really.

#5743 1 year ago

Cars aren't responsible, people are. Reduce accidents and injuries by having people pay more attention not less to whats happening around them.

There's plenty of data we can look at to see the results... see below. I've probably logged 50k miles using Autopilot over the last 5 years. I wouldn't say I pay any less attention because it's on. It's a stress reliever. Those micro adjustments by your arms and shoulders take a toll on your body. After a 6 hr driving trip I'm no more tired or sore than if I was sitting in the passenger seat. That to me is worth it as I make that exact trip every quarter to pick up my son from college. But I always rest a hand on the wheel and am ready to take over if needed.

Quoted from tripplett:

I would also note the data collected in these 'computer on wheels' cars is extensive so we have lots. Tesla releases reports of how often their cars are involved in crashes.
For Q4 2022: using Autopilot there was 1 crash every 4.85 million miles. not using Autopilot there was 1 crash every 1.4 million miles.
The US average is 1 crash every 652,000 miles - 7.44 times MORE LIKELY to be in a crash than using Autopilot.
https://www.tesla.com/VehicleSafetyReport

#5753 1 year ago

How out of shape are you that driving tires you out.

Are you just gaslighting us? Or perhaps just trying to get a rise? Yea that’s probably it. I mean you were concerned about technology you don’t understand and we’re given data going back years showing at least one system is over 7 times safer than a human - yet you persist.

Rather than be concerned about my shape, which I appreciate by the way, just Google the affects of long term driving. Back pain, shoulder and arm pain, headaches, nausea, sciatic pain, etc…. Many of that will still be there if you drive over 3 hrs without standing but much of the aches pain and fatigue goes away without those micro arm movements on the steering wheel.

If you can honestly say you aren’t more tired, fatigued, sore from sitting in the driving seat than the passenger seat then… well you’re lying.

#5757 1 year ago

LOL I'm old and out of shape but not that much. I take several 6-10 hour road trips a year and never have an issue being tired from driving.

You didn’t even answer the question. Are you MORE tired, fatigued, sore, etc from driving those 6-10 hrs than you would be if you were just a passenger? If so then lane keeping assist would help you - as it has me. That was my point. Constantly making steering adjustments for 6-10 hours has an impact. Has nothing to do with age.

#5765 1 year ago

This was in a Hyundai Ioniq group. I thought it was interesting look from a different viewpoint. What if EV was most common and now people were considering switching to the new gas cars coming out?

When others suggest you switch to an internal-combustion car you may have questions:
Q: I'm thinking of replacing my electric car with a fossil fuel car and have some questions?
1. I have heard that petrol cars cannot refuel at home while you sleep?
How often do you have to refill elsewhere?
Will there be a solution for re-fueling at home?

2. Which parts will I need to service and how often?
The car salesman mentioned oil in the engine and timing belts that need replacing and a box with gears in it.
What is this?
How much will this service oil change cost and how often – and what happens to the old oil.
Also apparently these petrol type cars generally stop on the brakes alone – so the brakes wear out much faster – how long will they last compared to my current car which lasts over 500,000 kilometres

3. In a petrol or diesel car, do I get fuel back when I slow down or drive downhill?

4. The car I test drove seemed to have a delay from the time I pressed the accelerator pedal until it began to accelerate.
Is that normal in petrol cars?

5. We currently pay about $0.02 per kilometre to drive our electric car. I have heard that petrol can cost up to 8 times as much. Is this true?

6. Is it true that petrol is flammable?

7. I understand that the main ingredient in petrol is oil. Is it true that the extraction and refining of oil causes environmental problems as well as conflicts and major wars that over the last 100 years have cost millions of lives? Is there a solution?

8. I have also been told that you have to transport oil all over the world to turn into petrol or diesel, and these ships have in the past damaged the environment by leaking the oil. Is that true?

9. I have heard that cars with internal combustion engines are being banned to enter more and more cities around the world, as it is claimed that they tend to harm the environment and health of their citizens? Is that true?

10. I have been told that these internal combustion engines make a noise when you start them – so early starts can wake people up, and driving a lot of internal combustion engine cars in towns makes towns noisy.

11. Is it true people can steal the fuel from your tank?

12. What is the drop in range in cold weather? I've been told a car that does 45mpg can drop to 37 mpg in winter. Just curious on that one.

13. A friend told me that the exhausts parts wear out. Is that true, and people steal them for the rare material used in them?

14. I was also told that the exhaust gas isn’t good for you, and if you leave the car running in a confined space, like a garage, you will die! Surely that isn’t true is it?

15. Next door neighbor told me these petrol cars carry around 40 to 60 litres of highly flammable liquid which is pumped into a steel cylinder, and it’s then exploded to generate expanding gas to move a piston, and turn linear motion into rotary motion.
Why would anyone want thousands of explosions happening within a few feet of where your sitting?eet of where your sitting.

16. A guy at work told me – he has a petrol car, and it leaks oil. When he parks it – surely that’s not right is it? – leaving dirty marks on the floor and contaminating the environment so directly.
How long before this happens if I change?

17. My daughter told me – if you buy a diesel car – the pump handle smells very bad, and you have to wear special gloves to stop your hand smelling, and if you spill it on your clothes it's terrible.

18. Is it true – the petrol and diesel is so dangerous, that you can only buy the fuel at a special filling station, and not anywhere (hotels/Car parks/Home/Work)?

19. While technology is advancing, will I ever be able to refuel my internal combustion car for free using only the sun ?

20. Would I be better off going straight to horse and cart, and not buying a horseless carriage – they sound pretty awful, burning dinosaur juice and polluting the environment whilst funding conflict and war and consuming raw material at an unbelievably high rate.

#5769 1 year ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Lithium and Cobalt expansion is disgusting, there is No Poll Option for the real world or a response like that, where it isn't about "EV's" it's about destruction and backwards woke 'progress'

Cobalt yes. But lithium? Lithium isn't bad really. Water is pumped into the ground, it comes back up, and is dried in pools leaving behind the lithium. About the only thing bad is that a lot of water is used. But the evaporated water just comes back down as rain if you recall science class. I'm not sure why people keep saying mining lithium is bad. There's no scientific evidence to support that.

As for the cobalt - many of the major players are requiring their suppliers verify their cobalt was not recovered in any conflict or child labor areas or even doing away with cobalt altogether (better).

The term "woke" is just a rebranding of the "tree hugger" phrase of the 80's - nothing has changed really. Caring for how we treat our environment should never be looked at as a bad thing. But the far left or right people on this need to get a clue. Ignorance of something is never an excuse for doing the wrong thing.

#5791 1 year ago

Major manufacturers like Tesla and Panasonic have already proved batteries can be made without cobalt so no need for that video. Since my comments yesterday were on lithium I watched the lithium video. In the end it asks should we stop mining lithium? And it answers NO.
I took notes on thee video's key points below.

Mining Lithium results in soil degradation & damage to ecosystem.
- mining anything results in this. That includes oil, natural gas, gems, precious metals, salt, etc. Maybe we should stop all mining.

Lithium is a highly toxic element that can harm the environment so it's mining impacts the area.
- all mining affects an area (see above). It's important that it's done properly.

Lithium affects soil composition by removing minerals plants need.
- geothermal brining pulls minerals from hundreds of feet down. I didn't know plants had roots that long.

The area becomes polluted with dust being kicked up from the trucks driving around.
-seriously? perhaps this one is a joke.

The mined water can be released into local streams.
- natural underground springs do the same thing.

Lithium extraction harms the soil and causes air contamination.
- this was already covered above.

Mining takes water away from communities that need it. 500k gallons per ton of lithium.
- this could be true but they give no facts to support it. all industry in an area needs to be governed by local municipalities.

Mining uses a lot of water. Can create water shortages in areas.
- I already agreed with that fact yesterday.

Miners add sodium carbonate and calcium carbonate to precipitate lithium out of the pools
- SC is borax, washing soda. It is safe and used in a lot of industry to include making soap, glass, and paper.
- CC is an antacid. Also your body needs it for strong bones, etc. Both of these are safe.

Lithium requires 95% of the water to evaporate from the pools. This is too much evaporated water.
- where do you think the evaporation goes? Into the clouds and forms rain. Water doesn't just vanish, it never leaves earth.

A common thread among areas mining lithium around the world is a dry hot environment.
- duh. That weather is why they picked that area to mine lithium, not that mining created that area's weather.

Evaporation of brines causes large volumes of waste water that must be treated.
- this is true. once the lithium is removed handling the concentrated leftover is key. But remember these elements came from the ground to begin with and other minerals could be co-mined with lithium.

100 million tons of solid waste are generated by mining in Australia alone.
- that's all mining, not lithium alone.

We need to ensure that mining has safety in mind and disposes of waste properly.
- 100% agree

Battery components need to be recycled.
- recycling is cheaper than mining the ingredients and recovers over 95% of the original materials with no loss of their properties. ev batteries don't end up in landfills - the components are too valuable. if they do they don't stay there long.

Researchers are working on new tech to replace lithium and cobalt. Research is needed to make batteries from safe abundant materials besides cobalt and lithium.
- excellent. I mentioned that yesterday.

#5816 1 year ago

How fast people, when proven wrong or faced with an opposing view, will run to personal attacks instead of continuing a civil fact based conversation or debate. So sad.

#5891 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

If the source is still dirty, how is an EV any better? It's just flawed logic.

It was covered a few pages ago (and probably a dozen other times in this thread). Because it’s so efficient it is better even if powered from a dirty grid. Just Google for the details.

#5903 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I see what you are trying to do.

The only thing I was trying to do was direct you a few pages back for an Oct 2022 study by MIT on the matter.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread/page/115#post-7479600

"Using the nationwide average of different energy sources, DOE found that EVs create 3,932 lbs. of CO2 equivalent per year, compared to 5,772 lbs. for plug-in hybrids, 6,258 lbs. for typical hybrids, and 11,435 lbs. for gasoline vehicles.

MIT’s report shows how much these stats can swing based on a few key factors. For example, when the researchers used the average carbon intensity of America’s power grid, they found that a fully electric vehicle emits about 25 percent less carbon than a comparable hybrid car. But if they ran the numbers assuming the EV would charge up in hydropower-heavy Washington State, they found it would emit 61 percent less carbon than the hybrid. When they did the math for coal-heavy West Virginia, the EV actually created more carbon emissions than the hybrid, but still less than the gasoline car."

#5922 1 year ago
Quoted from Tripredacus:

The only complaint I have about EVs is that they do not make any sound when they are driven at slow speeds in a parking lot. This is a safety issue.

There was a law passed a couple of years ago that all EVs make some type of pedestrian sound under 17 mph - 2020 I believe. My 2018 EV doesn't have it.

The twist of it is that these days all modern cars are quiet, not to even mention hybrids. None of them are bound by the new rule and many of them are just as quiet under 17mph. Over that speed the tires make enough noise on any car.

Just another example of someone in power not understanding the need and making rules that completely miss the mark.

#5936 1 year ago
Quoted from coolwhs:

the sound is required so blind people can hear the cars

If this was true then the new law would apply to hybrids and plug in hybrids as well as EVs. They are just as quiet. Perhaps an amendment one day...

#5941 1 year ago
Quoted from RVH:

He had to use his wife’s phone to call the rental company to come out and tether the Tesla to her phone so they could unlock the doors and be able to use the car again.

The rental company could have just remote unlocked and started the car (allowed them to drive it). But the first time they stop and get out it would lock again. There’s also a credit card sized key card and that is waterproof. Most rental agencies give this out instead of using the phone key. I always carry mine in my wallet as a backup should something happen to my phone.

#5946 1 year ago

I just don’t see a need for a 620 mile range car. I’d be shocked if Tesla also didn’t eventually change this as Elon too said it doesn’t make sense. When most people travel less than 50 miles a day and Superchargers are every 100 miles across the US why carry around all that extra weight? 300-350 miles is about the sweet spot.

#5950 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Fair, but some people would want that piece of mind for a long trip through remote areas.

There are almost no highway routes in the US where 350 miles wouldn’t be enough to get to the next charger. Maybe in Montana? 350 miles would handle the needs of 99% of drivers.

Edit: the longest distance between Superchargers in Montana along the main east/west highway 90 is 151 miles. But I get that piece of mind most think they need. Cold weather, rain, wind, etc will reduce range too.

But 60k miles over 5 years I’ve only been concerned once. That was driving a long distance from home to the blue ridge parkway, driving a few scenic hours along it, then needing to get back to a cabin all in one day. In the end it wasn’t a problem.

Most drivers have no problem driving a gas car till the fuel light comes on (~20 miles range) but consider driving an EV down to 6% (~20 miles) a nail biter. The anxiety goes away with experience,

8F7FB53F-8774-4843-9AFD-3FDCD33B175C (resized).jpeg8F7FB53F-8774-4843-9AFD-3FDCD33B175C (resized).jpeg

#5956 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Let's take the trip between Las Vegas and Reno for example. 450 miles of not much in between. Three Tesla charging towns between LV and Reno. Lets figure 20 chargers apiece. On a nice Holiday travel period, with hundreds of Teslas buzzing aboot, what happens when all twenty chargers are taken and ten others are ahead of you? You wait 30 minutes minimum, just to connect, then the charge time starts.

Avg Supercharge time of 12-15 minutes and 20 chargers… that means a charger is freeing up every minute. With 10 cars in front of me it wouldn’t be a 30 minute wait it would be a 10 minute or less wait. Total waiting in line plus charging would be 30 or less. Granted I’ve never waited at a charger but then again I’m on the east coast.

You bring up a good point. There isn’t a queue system and I’ve seen videos of some chaos. There’s definitely some planning that is required for that trip - and planning a little extra time wouldn’t hurt.

#5958 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

When Tesla says "up to 200 miles of charge in 15 minutes". What does the "up to" refer to? Different battery capacity or dual motor and performance models give less miles for 15 minutes? On that 450 mile drive example, I want maximum range in case of a major problem which happens on that road from time to time.
Im not even taking cold temperatures during the Winter months onto account.

Dual motor vs performance is no different however the short range model 3 charges slower. The rest of the models are about the same except for the older model S say pre 2018.

For the “up to” comment it’s usually two things - what charge level you start with and battery preconditioning.

First is charge level… they charge the fastest from 5-60%. Below 5% they need to ramp up because the battery is so low. From 5-60% is super fast - about a 1,000 mile per hour rate. From 60-80% it tapers to a 500 mile per hr rate at 80%. 80-90% drops a good bit more say 200 miles per hr. From 90-95 you’ll get about a 50 mile per hour rate. 95-100% takes forever - like a half hour or more. This is why fast charging to 100 makes no sense.

Fastest way to travel is to stop supercharging when you have enough to get to your destination (plus a few percent) or for another 2-3 hrs of driving to the next charger. Usually that’s 70%. A charge from 8% to 70% would be like 15 minutes. From 70-100% would be another 45+ minutes. It’s like filling a stadium. People can rush in like mad and sit anywhere when it’s empty. But once you’re down to 25% of seats it slows down while people find seats. And with only a few seats free out of 25,000 those people will take a long time to find empty seats.

For preconditioning the battery needs to be warm to get the fastest charge rate no matter what manufacturer or battery size. If you drive 30+ minutes and charge you’re ok. If you drive to moms house, park overnight at 40F, then get up and drive 5 mins to a charger to go home then the rate will be slow till the system warms the battery. Best to charge at moms overnight or stop at the fast charger before you park overnight. Hope that helps explain.

As for “what happens on the road from time to time” are you talking traffic? That actually helps an EV a lot. The slower you drive the longer your range. For a Model 3/Y you’ll get 300 miles at 60 mph or 600 miles at 35 mph. Stop and go traffic helps your range unlike gas. If you ever get in a situation where range left is an issue you can just slow down some.

#5997 1 year ago

In uncounted miles of driving over 35 years of driving I have not one been worried in the slightest that I would run out of fuel. You are rarely move than a short distance from being 2 minutes from full range.

You’d be alone. In my similar 36 years of driving I’ve been worried about running out of gas half a dozen times - all on long stretches trying to get to the next station. Actually ran out 2-3 times in my teen years but that was on me being dumb.

#6018 1 year ago

All to simply allow other manufacturers to use chargers already capable of charging other cars. Let that sink in.

Tesla chargers in the US use a proprietary plug called the North American Charging Standard. They have to modify every single one of the US stalls (18,000+) that they allow other manufacturers to use. All because everyone else went with a bigger, bulkier, harder to use CCS plug even though Tesla's plug was open sourced and better. It's a BETA vs VHS scenario. Tesla also installed more chargers in Q1 2023 than all other charging installs combined (59%). Let that sink in.

#6039 1 year ago
Quoted from galore2112:

I used Tesla super chargers less than 10 times in 4 years because these are only required, if one travels, which I don’t do often, and then it was a bit stressful even with the Tesla network because of Tesla’s success. It’s not guaranteed that you find an open charging spot and I’m sorry but no, I won’t wait in line if I can just take my super comfy gas SUV on my Thanksgiving or Christmas trips.

After 10 years of EV ownership, I know that a 100% EV life can be inconvenient. But a 99% EV life, which is very common for commuting/shopping/visiting friends) is vastly superior to ICEVs. VASTLY.

I just sold my Tesla and got another BMW EV. Because the supercharger network isn’t really that important in my opinion and my experience.

Holidays might be more troublesome for sure. My family lives within 300 miles of me so I've never seen holiday charging lines. But I have taken a good bit of long trips in the last 5 years. 101 Supercharging sessions at 36 unique locations with an average charge time of 12 minutes. Almost 12% of my total charging kW was DC fast charging. I've never had to wait to charge.

I get what you are saying, when I tow my boat I usually use my RAV4. But outside of those odd times if I was going on a long trip, even cross country I would 100% take my Tesla - it's not even a question. Maybe it's like a 99.9% EV life. Over the last 5 years I've put 60k miles on our Tesla and less than 1k on our Rav4 and some of that was my son driving it around.

For families that are a single car households - being inconvenienced with a small wait for the 1/10th of a percent of your driving makes more sense than the extra money of a second car sitting idle. You're paying registration and taxes to go to grandmas once or twice a year.

#6076 1 year ago

For a lot of folks, that’s fine. The question remains, we are less than 7% annual ev sales currently. We already have major power grid issues. What’s going to happen when we bump up to 20%? 50%? I hear all this talk about ev cars taking over the market, but no one is talking about actually charging them. We can build all the charging stations we want, but if the existing infrastructure can’t support it, what’s the point? It’s like digging a well where there is no water.

The grid is constantly changing and the bulk of the charging is happening overnight when the grid load is the lowest. At the current rate of electric infrastructure change it will take just over 6 years to have the ability to handle 100% EV. It will take longer than that for all people to change over cars.

There's also the study on how much power is used to refine gas. If that power was just moved to charging an EV it would take less energy per mile than it takes for the refining process. So as people shift the grid load will go down.

Back in the 1940's almost no one had central AC. When people started installing it everyone said "the existing infrastructure can’t support it". By the 1960's most new homes were build with it. The power company WANTS to sell electricity - they will keep up with the demand.

#6128 1 year ago
Quoted from starfighter:

There is no way the current grid can be revamped in 7 years to support the expected load/demand by 2030.

There's been many posts here in the last week saying "the grid can't handle it". I encourage you all to watch this short video by EE - a great channel by the way. He lists all the facts and data points very clearly.

TLDR - If we could snap our fingers and have everyone switch to EV overnight the grid would need to improve by 30%. Most people think it's much higher.

In the last 40 years our grid has increased the amount of energy produced 5 fold! That's 4% per year. To realize a 30% increase at 4% per year it would take 6.5 years (Hint: it'll take longer than that for everyone to switch). The argument that the grid can't handle it is irrelevant.

#6143 1 year ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Umm, I don’t have a dog in this fight and think all of you are silly but you might want to recheck your math….compounding and everything.

I hate to bring facts to a meme fight but if you're going to question my (or others) math... let's see how accurate it is.

Energy produced in 1960 0.76 kWh.
Energy produced in 2000 3.80 kWh.
Energy produced today 4.1 kWh (note: only a 7.9% increase in 22 years, but that's all demand required).
Source: EIA.gov

The math on 30% is sound (4.1 trillion kWh today, need 5.3 trillion kWh. 4.1 + 30% (*1.3) = 5.33).

The math on 4% compounded is slightly off - from 0.76 trillion kWh + 4% yearly over 40 years I got 3.65 instead of 3.80. So it's really just over 4.1% compounded yearly. If we use the 4.1% instead of 4% it works out to be the mentioned 6.5 years.

But lets say it took 10 years, or even 15 - the point was that it's not the big issue everyone is making it out to be.

#6179 1 year ago

You only get stung here if you sign up for the program. It’s claim is to save money, but in the user agreement it states they can adjust your thermostat in times of stress on the grid.

Sure, but it also says they will alert you when they are doing it and you can just twist the dial and override it if you wish. Full disclosure - I didn’t sign up for it but I do recall it can be overridden (for now).

#6187 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Let me just first say "I love EV's" and own two, but... here's my tesla being towed off after bricking itself and needing a $16,000 new battery! Fuck Tesla! only 120,000 miles on the car/battery, but a 2012.
[quoted image]

This is why I’d never buy a Tesla older than Sep 2014. Almost all the Teslas with battery issues were before that time. They changed the batteries after that. Sometimes early adopters pay a price.

#6200 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

I believe average life span for ev batteries will turn out to be around 150,000/15 years. Battery technology is simply not where we need it to be for long term reliability.

150k / 15 years - isn’t that about the average car life today before major problems show up? Outside of really well built cars before the 1980’s that is.

#6210 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Hell no! Got a 2012 CR-V with 260k miles still going strong. It eats right CV axles every 100k miles though. Otherwise nothing major….

Well… that’s kind of what I was saying. Replacing axles isn’t a $15k battery, but not an air filter or spark plug repair either. Going in the shop for something major every 150k seems to be the norm for todays cars.

Sidebar - I bet you could get those axles rebuilt yourself.

#6260 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

My other electric car is a Smart forTwo, which uses Tesla batteries. That's the electric car most people need. Twice as efficient, 1/4 the battery size.

I’ve wanted one of those after driving a friends. What an absolute fun car to drive.

#6262 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

At least Elon is in the Guinness World Book of Records!
(For losing the most money of any man on earth.)
https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2023/1/elon-musk-suffers-worst-loss-of-fortune-in-history

Yes, the stock went from $356 to $123 from Jan to Dec 2022. An amazing amount of loss. But zoom out… it was just $29 in Jan 2020. That’s where all that wealth came from. Also it’s recovered 1/3rd of that back to $200 in the next month. All of those loses are paper loses really - unless he sells. Also Vid the url link is broken.

#6277 1 year ago

Maybe don’t use a Korean manufactured battery (SK ON)? At least this is old news and they apparently found and (hopefully) fixed the problem and restarted production like 6 weeks ago.

#6351 12 months ago

Yea I was going to say this was not new but instead the reason for the recall in Feb. Ford and the Korean battery manufacturer SK On worked together to recall the affected vehicles and remedy the situation. Production started back with the changes 6 weeks ago.

Back to the memes...

#6390 12 months ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

The grid will be overloaded in the upcoming few years

So I guess we're back to the discussion two weeks ago?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread/page/123#post-7528943
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread/page/123#post-7529142

As for car fires per day in the US - just googling that comes up with half a dozen sites that say between 117k & 174k per year. That's somewhere between 321 and 476 fires a day (I'm assuming all types of cars). So, yes, titanpenguin 153k yearly is probably as good a guess as any.

I also read that neither NTSB nor the NHTSA collects data on how many car fires there are (crash related or not). So your guess is as good as mine as to where some of these numbers are coming from. The 117k came from National Fire Incident Reporting System (NFIRS).

#6412 12 months ago

The hate for EVs is real for some. Explains this EV’s fire at least…

https://electrek.co/2023/04/27/tesla-fire-police-believed-battery-arson/

#6435 11 months ago

Well, to be fair vid, there’s no shortage of drinking water on the planet… just a shortage of drinking water where those people currently live.

#6456 11 months ago

Has anyone here ever done a break-even analysis on the model 3 performance against a similarly equipped average ICE vehicle? I get that you pay a lot more "up front" for the EV when purchasing, but the cost of ownership (and potential fueling savings, depending on driving behavior) must cause a "break-even" at some point. I wonder when that is.

Break even for purchase price? If you are comparing a model 3 performance and a similarly equipped ice vehicle then the price is about the same. A 2023 Corvette is about $62k. Model 3 P is $53k. Or am I misunderstanding the question? If you're trying to compare a 500hp gas 0-6 sub 3.5 second car you'll be paying around $60k (or more).

Back of the napkin math on a $38,000 purchase price shows about 9 years before an EV (difference in price versus an ICE vehicle) pays for itself in fuel/maintenance savings.

Assuming 13,500 miles driven a year, gas at $3 per gallon, and electric cost of about $450 in charging a year.

This isn't horrible, I've owned my last two cars for 14 years and 18 years respectively. Provided I can hold an EV that long without a major battery repair, it might actually be worth it to try and find a decent used EV in an SUV chassis. IF I could find one.

This doesn't take into account the value of my time not having to schedule and wait for routine engine maintenance items. There's a value on that for me, for sure.

Except where is the $38k coming from? Is that the ICE car equivalent? A low cost EV? For comparison the average new 2023 car price is now $50k.

And I'd use closer to $4 per gallon. We're at $3.50 avg nationally and projections are for prices to go up. Extrapolate that out over those 9 years so definitely use higher prices. Maybe even use $4.50... Your $450 per yr for an EV is about right though.

And if you are going to include time saved for routine engine maintenance then you also have to include time waiting for fuel. We've had this discussion on here a few months ago... lets say 2 mins to fill up with gas plus a minute fiddling with the pump and cards, etc. Fill up once a week and that equates to 156 minutes a year.
I fast charge my EV a couple times a year and the avg wait time over 5 years has been 14 minutes. So to charge my EV on long road trips is lets say 4 per yr x 14 mins = 56 minutes vs 156 minutes to fuel gas a yr. Over those same 9 years that's 900 more minutes waiting on gas. That's 15 hrs more - just fueling.

I did cost analysis when I bought my Model 3 AWD. What I discovered was by the time I get to 100k miles driven it will have cost me the same as a $23k gas car. Basically a Honda Civic in the lowest trim they offer. This does however include the $7,500 tax break I got in 2018 (now offered again today).

#6471 11 months ago

I'm not an EV customer unless they are similarly priced to an ICE counterpart. That'll be a while, I think. If ever.

But they are already today. I put that in my post but perhaps you missed it. The average price of a new car in the US is now $49,500. There are like a dozen EVs at that price or less. That doesn't even include the $7,500 tax rebate.

#6479 11 months ago

Yes but you need to compare apples to apples. Utility to utility.
Average ICE pickup versus EV pickup
Average ICE SUV versus EV SUV
Average ICE sedan versus similar EV sedan.
I believe EV's are still more expensive than their ICE counterparts. Especially in the used market.

If you consider all features - like glass roof, performance, heated seats and steering wheels, remote start, auto park, adaptive cruse, lane keeping assist, etc… I still think you’ll find them about the same for a comparable ice car. Those extras all add up on a gas car but many EVs it’s included.

Used market yes, but we aren’t even discussing used. Your original comment was the high price of new EVs. I’m just trying to shed light that the gap (for new) is much closer than you are eluding to.

I'm not an EV customer unless they are similarly priced to an ICE counterpart. That'll be a while, I think. If ever.

#6481 11 months ago

Twinturbo... tell me you're new here without telling me you're new here...

#6483 11 months ago

Well this just took a turn…. breaking and not a lot of information out yet.
Assumption inbound: I’m going to guess the station was full and someone jumped the line sparking an argument.

https://electrek.co/2023/05/03/tesla-driver-dies-fatal-shooting-supercharger-station-argument/

#6485 11 months ago
Quoted from tripplett:

Well this just took a turn…. breaking and not a lot of information out yet.
Assumption inbound: I’m going to guess the station was full and someone jumped the line sparking an argument.
https://electrek.co/2023/05/03/tesla-driver-dies-fatal-shooting-supercharger-station-argument/

Apparently it had nothing to do with the chargers or the cars. Both men were armed and had an unrelated altercation.
Just shows how fast people, even myself, can jump to a conclusion when a hot topic like EVs are involved.

https://twitter.com/bayanwang/status/1653905096865112065?s=20

#6524 11 months ago
Quoted from twinturb089:

i can spend 100 a week on gas for my ice vehicles and would never recoupe the extra cost of a ev

What extra cost are you referring to? KBB lists the avg cost of a new cars for 2023 at $49.5k. You can buy a dozen different EVs at that price. And at $100 a week - over 5-6 years you’re talking about $26-31k in just fuel alone.

#6525 11 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

As a previous volunteer firefighter, I caution you to never allow any family members to sleep above a garage used to store automobiles.

I hear ya - my house has the master bedroom over the garage. The first thing I did was put a smoke alarm in the garage and another in the basement. All smoke alarms are also tied to an alarm company that automatically contacts the fire department. The fire department is 1/2 mile from our house.

#6527 11 months ago
Quoted from MrBally:

The $49.5k cost of a new EV. Some of us have older, dependable, antiquated, soon to be obsolete, ICE vehicles that are paid for, but basically worthless to resell/trade. We'd rather spend a hundred bucks a week on gas and have basic liability insurance instead of spending $50k or have a nice $800.00 car payment. Plus a $150.00-$250.00 monthly insurance fee. Las Vegas being a 24/7 alcohol serving town makes our insurance rates ridiculous.

So the statement should read “I can spend 100 a week on gas for my USED ice vehicles and would never recoupe the extra cost of buying a new $49.5k car (EV or gas)”. In other words this is irrelevant to a discussion about EVs but instead comparing driving a used car vs new car.

But given all the fuel and maintenance savings (plus any rebates if applicable) you’d still be better off over a 5 yr ownership with a new EV than a new gas car. I’m almost 5 hrs into my Model 3 and total cost minus all the savings and the $7,500 rebate puts me out of pocket at about $25k. And I can sell it today for more than that.

#6530 11 months ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Don't put words in my mouth. My statement is exactly how I wrote it.
You do you and I'll do me.

Fine, but you’re the one that interjected himself into my reply that was directed at twinturbo. So apparently you’re ok with you putting words in his mouth.

Quoted from twinturb089:

Myself.... i can spend 100 a week on gas for my ice vehicles and would never recoupe the extra cost of a ev…

#6552 11 months ago

EV's still have heaters, they can still fail and burn. And a resistor heater is more likely to do that than a coolant based one.

Almost all EVs are using heat pumps now - way more efficient. A resistive heater is the worst heater there is as far as efficiency goes.

#6553 11 months ago

Hydrogen may be a solution for some situations but in the end it's just using electricity to produce a product that is stored then pumped to the car and uses an onboard process to produce electricity to drive an electric motor. Better to just use the original electricity to drive the electric motor.

It also has some drawbacks. It's inefficient vs a pure EV, hard to store, leaks out over time, is almost twice as expensive vs gas, and still forces you to go to a pump station instead of fueling at home.

hydrogen (resized).jpghydrogen (resized).jpghydrogen2 (resized).PNGhydrogen2 (resized).PNG
4 weeks later
#6731 10 months ago
Quoted from Brainiac:

I am concerned that EVs will have battery drain and eventual failure, forcing me to replace it

The good news is there’s plenty of data available already on EV battery lifecycle, degradation, and failure. Failure is rare but, like gas cars, a few lemons show up. Degradation is steepest for the first 15k miles (5 to 10%) then flattens for a very long time. Typically you’ll still have 85% of the original battery range at 200,000 miles.

#6748 10 months ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I’m gonna get the proverbial hammer for this but, why not consider hybrids?

The problem with hybrids is that their battery range is always crap. Most are like 35 miles estimated (28 miles or so actual). Traditional auto manufacturers do the minimum required to get the incentives, not what customers want. If there was a hybrid with 75 miles range I’d consider it.

The longest range hybrid is the $85,000 Karma GS-6 at 61 miles. Then there’s the $110,000 Land Rover Range Rover at 48 miles. Then the RAV4 at 42 miles and the Ford Escape at like 35. The rest of them are all very short range.

So if you have over a 20 mile commute you have two choices for a hybrid and both are more expensive than buying both a 330 mile EV and a decent gas car!

But like others said it’s probably better to just go one or the other. I don’t want to take an EV range loss by hauling around all the extra weight of the gas components when I’d only use them a few times a year on a long trip. Better to just go all EV then get a gas rental for that long trip if you’re nervous about an EV. For me, I love road tripping my EV. It forces me to stop every 3 to 4 hours for a 20 minute break. I arrive more relaxed and feel better.

#6751 10 months ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

You keep saying "hybrid" while referring to Plug-in hybrid or PHEV which is not the same. Also, WHO CARES if your battery range is lacking on some drives? You travel the first 40miles on cheaper/cleaner electric and the ICE engine gets you rest of the way when necessary.

Apologies, I probably should have just quoted the whole post. My comments and the examples were directed to plug in hybrids (PHEV) as those directly compare to an EV. Yes, overall they would be better than a gas vehicle, but still inferior to an EV for my use case. For some a PHEV would work great. Even a non plug in hybrid is a little better, but doesn’t really apply to this thread.
Some drivers needs require a pickup (or van) instead of a car. Use what works for your driving needs.

#6752 10 months ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Exactly incorrect. With a hybrid there is no range anxiety, search for a working charger, planning charge stops on a road trip, long charge times, warming up the battery, or worry the battery will be empty in an emergency, etc.

All of these are common comments from non EV owners but are not things that EV owners experience. After the first month and learning to trust the car’s estimates there was no range anxiety. At least not anymore often than running out of gas.
Almost all DC Fast Chargers will tell you from the car if they are online and if they are in use.
The car plans the charging stops for you.
My average charge time over 5 years of fast charging is 12 minutes over 103 charges at 35 unique locations.
The car manages warming the battery.
Plugging in every night I’ve never had an emergency where I didn’t have enough range, but that could also happen with gas, maybe more so, since you have to plan on gassing up when low.

#6857 10 months ago

Well apparently Volvo accidentally made the China made EX30 a little speedster... Volvo's cheapest car is also their fastest.
Of course this isn't the $35k single motor RWD model. The CEO also discusses possibly using Tesla's NACS charge plug/port.
Sharp car, I like it.

https://electrek.co/2023/06/15/volvo-ex30s-incredible-acceleration-was-an-accident-and-other-fun-details/

#6874 10 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Except you don’t really want to be using that acceleration unless you like buying new tires often.

This is car, setup, or even tire dependent. AWD is easier on tire wear than RWD. Proper car setup is a huge factor. Most early wear I’ve seen posted is due to improper toe or camber setup.

I got 44k miles from the factory 19” Continentals on my AWD Performance Model 3. And I typically drive it like I stole it. Also I had 2 track days on those tires. Summer tires will wear faster than all season, etc.

Best thing to do is just enjoy your car the way you want and find some good tires that have a tread warranty. For now, at least, manufacturers are honoring the warranties on EVs.

#7001 10 months ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Has this thread ever touched on the loss of independence, autonomy & freedom of travel these cars are quickly ushering in?
Self driving will quickly turn into no driving & no steering wheels.
Which then devolves into driving on only certain days, time blocks & roads.
Then it’ll morph into significantly reduced driving or only going where it’s programmed to allow you to go…right into no driving especially if you’re deemed an undesirable.
The government hates the freedom traditional cars offer and uses the environment only as an excuse, as they’re the biggest polluters.
Has every freedom loving, former hippie lost their mind and intellectual core beliefs?
I know, I know, it’ll never be forced on us like that.
We never thought our daughters would be forced to share areas with grown ass naked men too.

I think you're lost. This is the "I hate EVs" thread, not the "I hate Autonomous Vehicles" thread.
EV doesn't equal autonomy. There are plenty of gas cars/trucks that are working on autonomy.

#7053 10 months ago

I don’t mind paying my share. My state charges an additional $130 EV registration. And I’ve payed it for 5 years. This year it was increased to $140. There’s a proposal to raise it to $230 next year. The gas tax hasn’t increased in 30 years (Oct 1993). FYI extrapolated out… the current EV $140 is more than I’ve ever paid in gas taxes per year… even driving well over the average yearly miles..

There are many issues with paying per mile. I won’t go into them as it’s easy to look this info up if you like. Its also clear that using gas taxes for road use isn’t working. The gas fee is obviously decoupled from the needed road fees.

Perhaps moving everyone to the same rate at registration and remove it from the fuel? During Covid there were many people that didn’t even drive 1k miles a year. The underpaying of gas tax went extreme underplayed while the EV tax was the same. Per mile EV tax went through the roof.

#7095 10 months ago

There were many recent "yea, but China isn't cutting back it's coal usage" posts. We now have the data to examine.

Yesterday the China Electric Council released it's Q1 report. It sheds some light on China's Q1 power usage.
https://cec.org.cn/detail/index.html?3-320252

First they have been going through a drought, so hydro is down 8.3% causing that gap to temporarily be filled with fossil fuels. Hydro was at it's lowest in almost 10 years (Reuters)

Second both renewables and fossil fuel categories saw year over year increases. Installed power generation capacity was 2.62 billion kilowatts - a 9% increase year over year.

Power Generated:
During Q1 non-fossil fuel power generated increased 16% year over year. Of this solar ( PV & solar thermal) increased 33.7%.
Fossil fuels increased 7.4%. Of this coal use in particular increased 1.8%.

Total installed capacity of coal fired power generation is 1.13 billion kilowatts. Grid tied solar power capacity is 2.6 billion kilowatts.

TLDR:
1) China's total grid installed capacity right now shows solar 2 to 1 over coal.
2) New renewable power generated increases far outweighed coal. So while they did expand coal it wasn't even two percent of the total and short term.

New installed capacity in Q1 59M kw (up 27.26M kw YoY):
Hydro - 2.71M kw
Thermal - 8.05M kw (includes 4.84 coal fired, 1.31 gas, 0.71 bio mass)
Nuclear - 1.19M kw
Wind - 10.4M kw
Solar - 33.6M kw

TLDR the TLDR:
China is relying on it's renewables far more for future expansion. New coal plants are short term as the govt plans to reduce it's coal fired generation and remains on track to hit their peak overall emissions before 2030.

#7098 10 months ago

Oh I believe much of what comes out of China are lies. However there's nothing the rest of the world would love to do more than call China out. With all the satellites the rest of the world has watching China, and the ability to easily see physical power plants, solar, wind turbines, etc, along with this being verified by outside news agencies I feel more confident in this data than someone on a pinball forum with no sources.

#7201 9 months ago

It’s already been admitted in this thread via the efficiency of combustion at 40-42%, and batteries only returning 70-90%.

I think your percents are a little off. Most sources I’ve seen for an EVs convert efficiency is 93%. But let’s call it at least 80%. Gas is far less than you’ve stated. Perhaps 20%? So it’s not 30% between the two, it’s double that.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/atv.shtml

A gallon of gas contains about 34kW of potential energy. That will move an EV 120-135 miles. That isn’t even factoring in the electricity used to make that gallon of gas. Just that alone will move an EV another 30 miles. If you want to nit pick you can add in the other costs for transporting that fuel. Seeing an EV return of 150+ miles per gallon of gas is easy. Even powered from a dirty grid EVs are cleaner.

But we’ve gone over this so many times in this 144 pages. Even if they were marginally better isn’t that a good thing? Fossil fuels here in the US are just 60% of energy now with coal only 19% of that. The power grid continues to improve.
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

#7212 9 months ago

Well that went sideways

1 week later
#7471 9 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Mach-E GTP 0-60 in 3.5 seconds
[quoted image]

Nice, only 1/4 second slower than the 6 year old Tesla Model 3.
I guess competition is coming… eventually.
Actually though I’m happy consumers are getting more EV choices.

#7559 9 months ago

Holiday Inn Express kind.

There’s been half a dozen of penguin’s posts I want to upvote but I guess I struck a nerve somewhere.

BC03215F-E7BC-4D7E-ABE4-D08DEBEEF7D2 (resized).jpegBC03215F-E7BC-4D7E-ABE4-D08DEBEEF7D2 (resized).jpeg
#7641 9 months ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Walked by a lucid dealer last night. Cool vehicle and one of the trims is 0-60 in 1.8 seconds which is, say it with me, too fast!
[quoted image]

1.8s is (IMO) beyond the relm of grip and possibly. I mean there’s a limit to physics. Maybe with the 1’ rollout - but still I don’t believe it. Where’s the video…

#7645 9 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

From earlier in the year:
Lucid vs Plaid S vs Bugotti vs Ducati
All on just normal asphalt, not a grippy resin sprayed drag strip.

That's an entertaining video, thanks for sharing it. Great production quality.
But that 0-60 is with 1 ft rollout subtracted Vid. Both the Sapphire and Plaid take off dead even in the video. The Sapphire's specs say "pre-production. Final specifications are not currently available". The Plaid specs say "0-60 *With rollout subtracted".
That was my point... the tires are being stretched to the limit of grip.

What is interesting is the Tesla Roadster SpaceX edition. With an onboard COPV and cold air thrusters it can easily remove that tire limitation off the line. Question is... what drag strip is going to allow it to use it.

#7653 9 months ago

So I'm not being snarky but I'm curious what your point is? Is it that we've reached the physical limitations of todays tires et al and that 0-60 times are essentially limited to ~2 seconds?

Yes, this is the discussion I was trying to spark. He even says it in the video at 9:09 - you could double the hp of these cars and they wouldn't go any faster because they were grip limited.

#7656 9 months ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

It’s the pretentious smug attitude that some here think they are superior with an electric car.

The pretentious smug attitude part is an unfortunate side effect that I believe comes from the fact that 9/10 times an electric car IS superior, but the other side refuses to acknowledge it over and over. Eventually most arguments are disputed with science and they make about as much sense as flat earthers.

My opinion is to drive what you want and the hell with the rest. In some situations gas makes more sense. But for the overwhelming majority of folks EV is better. But if someone wants to keep driving a gas guzzling hot rod then that's their prerogative.

#7693 9 months ago

Now it's not the fault of the Tesla that the F$%&*G a$$hole driver failed to yield to the right and nearly hit me, but there's a good argument for ANY car not needing to be able to take off at a high rate of speed from a stop!

It's always difficult if both get to a stop at the same time in an intersection but yes it should be --> yield to the car on the right. Bad driver. But I will say that the instant acceleration has saved me from being rear ended or sideswiped at least three times. So there's a good argument for needing it when the situation calls for it. That acceleration can get you IN an accident just as well as it can get you OUT out of one.
I will say when I'm first at a light and want to punch it I will hesitate a second or two for any red light runners and listen/watch for first responders. I've seen too many drivers so eager to race off a light then smash right into others - EV or not.

#7762 9 months ago
Quoted from Strummy:

Serious EV question. If I live in a city or remote country, what are my best charging options?

For remote country… if you have any power at all then you can charge at home. Being in Dolni Svetla you are even luckier than us here in the US as you have 230v 16a as a standard. That’s about 3.6kW so plenty fast enough to replenish daily drives overnight. About 16km per hour or 200+ overnight. As for living in the city you have a few options around the town for lvl2 and dc fast charging. Check PlugShare for a list.

411EA065-2687-4236-BF37-CDEFABD392C5 (resized).jpeg411EA065-2687-4236-BF37-CDEFABD392C5 (resized).jpeg
#7781 9 months ago
Quoted from Strummy:

The child labor thing for cobalt makes me sick and this whole world is a mess.

Then I’d for sure go with a Tesla. I know they’ve removed cobalt from their eu cars for this very reason. Others… not sure about.

#7862 9 months ago

They need to invent the ability to create hydrogen at home to refill your car. I for one don’t miss going to a gas station all the time and I don’t want to be married to a pump anymore. Of course home hydrogen explosions would probably put home nat gas explosions to shame.

#8163 9 months ago

Dodge finally had to join in or be left behind.

"Dodge Says It Won’t Make Electric Cars, It Will Make eMuscle, Which Is Somehow Different, but Not Really..."
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/dodge-says-wont-make-electric-cars-will-make-emuscle-somehow-different-not-really/

dominate (resized).PNGdominate (resized).PNG
1 week later
#8473 8 months ago

The media reports make it seem like the fire originated from an EV. However the Coast Guard spokesman was just saying the ship was hauling cars, some were gas & some were EVs. The source of the fire hasn't been discovered yet.
Dutch Coast Guard on X (twitter) reported a few days ago that the fire is now out and the ship is being towed.
https://electrek.co/2023/07/26/surprise-media-is-misreporting-the-source-of-a-dutch-cargo-ship-fire/

https://www.rijkswaterstaat.nl/nieuws/archief/2023/07/nieuwsfeed-vrachtschip-noordzee

#8522 8 months ago

This article popped up today in a few places on social media. And… this also happened to me last year. I got in my car in my garage, shut the door, put my foot on the brake to shift into R, and the car shut down. For a few seconds I was locked in the car. But I RTFM when I bought the car - so I pulled the manual release and got out. Dead 12v battery was the culprit.

Strangely the emergency release is SO prevalent in my Tesla that most new riders use it to get out of the car instead of the proper door release button.

Lastly, this isn’t unique to Teslas, or even EVs. Many newer cars are starting to use electronic door releases. This could be a problem till the world learns about it.

This is why many EV auto manufacturers are trying to do away with the 12v battery - it’s an antiquated and unnecessary thing. Even a dead high voltage pack can open a door latch.

#8559 8 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

EV's should be expected to sell without welfare tax credits or they should perish. The number 1 selling car in America that happens to be an EV should DEFINITELY be expected to sell without tax credits.

Tesla lost the tax credits at the end of 2018 and they didn’t re-qualify again until the start of this year - Jan 2023.
The best four years of their growth they had no tax credits.

Also note the chart is a steady climb and stayed constant the last 2 quarters (with tax credits). So, there was no unusual spike after tax credits started back up.

21DE4DAE-0039-4F96-A8DE-C15A2CF6660E (resized).jpeg21DE4DAE-0039-4F96-A8DE-C15A2CF6660E (resized).jpeg

#8598 8 months ago

People posting here like overnight home charging an EV for 12 hrs is an inconvenience. But I bet if they had the option to slowly drip gasoline in their car at home every night, even at a “12 hrs to full” rate, would never stop at a gas station for fuel again outside of long trips.

#8605 8 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

You guys are reinforcing the point that Teslas, of all cars, should not be subsidized

Even Elon says he wished all the subsidies would go away and let the cars sell on heir own. He doesn’t like EV subsidies, but he’s not going to turn down an advantage either.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/6/22821532/elon-musk-biden-infrastructure-government-subsidies

#8640 8 months ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Not too many would like the stench of gasoline building up in their garages. Not to mention the explosion potential.

What if there was a safe, smell free way to fuel gas overnight even if it was as slow as 12 hrs to full tank? A full tank every morning. Would you still go to a gas station for day to day (non trip) driving? I figured that was implied, but with this group I guess I should have been more clear.

You’d rather drive out of your way to a gas station to fuel up faster than have your car fuel up slower - even if overnight? I suppose you drive to the post office to get your mail too since that’s faster than waiting on a mailman to deliver it.

#8673 8 months ago

I'd rather go to a gas station, absolutely not out of the way, I pass at least 6 each way going to and from work that require turning directly into them from the street I'm already on, once a week for 2 minutes than have to wait 12 hours every night while it drips full. The lack of a wait is the benefit.

Having to pull off the road and pump gas, even if it took 2 mins to pump it, is absolutely out of your way vs a slower overnight refuel. You're not waiting 12 hrs to fuel at home, your car is sitting that whole time anyway. That's the whole point. So you are waiting MORE by stopping at a pump, not less. It's not convenient, but it could be your preference and that's fine. Just don't fool yourself into thinking you're saving time.

#8674 8 months ago
Quoted from tripplett:

Having to pull off the road and pump gas, even if it took 2 mins to pump it, is absolutely out of your way vs a slower refuel overnight. You're not waiting 12 hrs to fuel at home, your car is sitting that whole time anyway. That's the whole point. So you are waiting MORE by stopping at a pump, not less. It's not convenient, but it could be your preference and that's fine. Just don't fool yourself into thinking you're saving time.

#8683 8 months ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

I have run out of gas once in my life because of a faulty guage
EV i just wonder can you carry a boster pack of some sort
[quoted image][quoted image]

Oddly, because of regen braking, you can actually be tow charged. Tow the car 1 mile and you’ll have added 13 miles of range. More than enough to get off the interstate and to power.
Summation at 12 minutes in…

#8686 8 months ago
Quoted from poppapin:

since when did this thread need approval to post?

About a week ago.

#8688 8 months ago

All while being less efficient. Congrats!

No one cares about efficiency when they're stuck on the side of the road. .
But since you brought it up it's more efficient to tow a Tesla with a Ford Raptor, then drive the Tesla with the range added than it is to drive the Raptor on gas - by 2X actually.

Skip to 5:30 for an interesting test...

#8700 8 months ago

The inconvenience is the hours of time that you have to wait to fill. It does not matter what you are doing during that time. The range is unavailable during those hours. If you need to go *now* you can't get full. That's the point. Make them fill in 2 minutes and it's a whole different ball game.

If you “need to go now” then just unplug and go. Do you think it needs to finish charging before you can use the car again?

“ The range is unavailable during those hours”
No, all the range in the car is available at any time. Just unplug and go. Do you not unplug and use your phone if it’s not at 100%?

13 miles also won't get you to an exit in the middle of the country or the northwoods.

I suppose a Raptor can’t tow more than a mile.

#8716 8 months ago

get home with 50 miles range, need to leave and go 100, you can't without a longer wait

Driving EV for 5 years / 65,000 miles and that exact scenario has happened a total of once. I drove to the mountains and back then needed to drive to my mother-in-laws unexpectedly just minutes after arriving home. Her house is 100 miles away and I had 50 miles range. I stopped at a DC fast charger for 12 minutes and had enough range to get there and back home the next day.
Once, in 5 years... and I could have easily taken our other car.

Now factor in the 2 minutes x 185 gas fill ups over those 65k miles that I didn't have to wait for. That's over 6 hours pumping gas.

#8743 8 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Can we talk about the stupidity of electric lawnmowers now?
My standard 1/4 acre lawn requires anywhere between one and two gallons of gas per summer, depending on rain and grass growth. Electric lawnmower batteries are $100 minimum plus the cost to charge it. And sometimes you need multiple batteries. So, at a liberal $4 a gallon, I can mow my grass for 12.5-25 years for the cost of one battery alone, not even considering the cost to charge it.

I've owned the EGO mower, trimmer, and blower for 3 years now. Yes the replacement battery costs are high, but not sure why that's a big deal. You don't price car ownership based on replacement motor costs, you use total cost of ownership.
My lot is 0.7 acres and I can mow it 2.5 times so I'm not sure why your 1/4 acre lot would require multiple batteries.

AS for total costs... a new Stihl trimmer is $150-200 & the blower is $150 - so $300 total. A new EGO trimmer/blower combo is $249. So already you're ahead. That combo only comes with 1 battery though. If you were to get both separately (and on sale) you'd be closer to the cost of the two Stihl machines. Mowers are a bit pricey though. I think I bought mine on sale for $500 for self propelled.

I sold all 3 gas machines to help fund the switch. Like No_Skill says I no longer have to hear my kids say they didn't do the chores because they can't start the gas engines. Or go to do the yardwork and be out of gas, or dealing with mixing gas in the blower/trimmers. It's also really nice to grab the blower and dry the car off after a wash, or blow off the table saw. I'm amazed how often I reach for the EGO blower just to take care of a quick task in the garage or driveway. And with 3 batteries I never hear there isn't one available to do a task.

The cost to charge it is easy to figure out. My cost per kWH is $0.12. The smaller trimmer/blower battery is 2.5 kW and the larger mower is 7.5 kW. So from completely dead to full the cost would be $0.30 or $0.90 US.

#8770 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

My favorite hardware store, that carries probably 50 different barbecue grills; has installed 2 chargers in their lot.
They charge a discount rate, cheaper than your home rate.
The owner says it keeps people in the store for 20 minutes, and of course they buy stuff while they are there.

I attended a meeting where Tesla proposed new Superchargers to city council. Tesla submitted data that showed, over time, charging patrons spent an average of $10 at nearby stores. This was a combination of both DC fast charging as well as Level2 chargers.

This is great for the city since Tesla covers the cost of installing the chargers. For DC fast charging Tesla covers the power costs too (then obviously bills the drivers). For Level2 chargers, like your picture Vid, those are usually 6-8kWh. So, even if free charging, you're talking an out of pocket electricity cost of $0.70 cents an hour or less.

It cracks me up when people get all upset over places offering free EV charging for shoppers... (shakes fist) damn those EV tree huggers getting free fuel!!!
If they only knew the electricity cost was so cheap. Most shoppers are done in 20 minutes at a cost of about a penny a minute to the store. Meanwhile my shopping at Harris Teeter goes to subsidize discounts on gas for other shoppers - as much as $1.00 off per gallon, up to $35.00 off per fill up!

#8773 8 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Actually, that house was constructed from cement to protected against humidity & insects which is why it survived in addition to the metal roof as opposed to a combustible materials one. If the house was made of typical construction materials, the metal roof would have been charred and melted metal from the heat/flames of the rest of the house burning. While nobody was home at the time, the owner said the walls are so thick that from the inside of the house you can't even hear the ocean.

My parents built a similar lakefront house using Superior Walls. https://www.superiorwalls.com/

They form the walls by pouring steel reinforced concrete horizontally into a mold at the factory. They can even stamp it to look like brick. Truck them to the site then use a crane to set them in place and bolt together. It really builds a house fast. Their energy bill is super low and, like you said, insulates from noise well. The only problems they have are trying to attach stuff to the walls (shelving, etc), routing wires through the walls for cable/internet, and that their radon levels are higher than they'd prefer due to the concrete. But it's basically a bomb shelter.

1 week later
#8793 8 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

So let me get this straight, if you own an ICE parking is $250/year but if you own an EV it is FREE. Seems like class prejudice to me (i.e. preferential treatment to a specific group), and I fully support protesting it.

I don't get fuel points discounts at Harris Teeter that amount to about $20 a month off of gas that I can't use. Should I protest those pesky gasoline car owners that are getting $250 in yearly savings because of their fuel choice?

#8821 7 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Those were Volkswagen's words, not mine.
In an interview with the North-West newspaper, the minister of economic affairs for the state of Lower Saxony, Olaf Lies, describes the measures introduced by VW at Emden as “understandable.”
“The registration numbers of electric vehicles continue to be high, but what concerns us is the current dip in demand – not only at Volkswagen but across all manufacturers,” he says.

Then Clearly Olaf Lies… lies. It’s not affecting all manufacturers… it’s affecting some legacy auto makers like VW and Ford. The top selling car right now is an EV. That said I like how VW decided not to electrify an existing model and instead made a platform (ID) to make multiple EVs from. That was smart and similar to what Tesla did. Model Y is over 80% Model 3 parts.

#8832 7 months ago

so still 24x slower than ICE, but getting better.

Shortsighted thinking, look at the bigger picture. It’s already way faster overall. ICE has to pump gas 100% of the time at a station... 2-3 minutes a week on avg. Yearly about 120 minutes (two hours) or more.

EVs 99% charge at home, no waiting - takes a second to plug in. Only waiting is on road trips a few times a year.
My avg Supercharging time on trips over 5 years / 70,000 miles is 14 minutes. That will go down on V4 chargers. I take 2-3 road trips a year. So let’s say a generous 10 minutes a stop, or 30 minutes total per yr waiting while charging… that means ICE is waiting to fuel at minimum 4x as much even with conservative numbers.

Obviously if you don’t have the ability to charge at home that changes things. Then again it doesn’t make sense for everyone to own an EV, just like not everyone needs a truck, a van, or third row seating.

#8847 7 months ago

No waiting, you mean overnight waiting. that is waiting, regardless of what you are doing during that time. you average 14 minutes on a supercharger, that equivalent to 7 tanks of gas each time, 2800 miles of range. not faster. Your 30 minute average for those 3 stops is by your own 2-3 minute fill up number 10-15 weeks of fuel for ICE. not faster. You can do all the creative math you want but it is empirically slower to charge than fill.

We’ve been over this and you’re the only one that feels this way. Apparently you watch your phone charge overnight - staring blankly at it for hours while the electrons trickle in.

#8848 7 months ago

I can start every day full with *at worst* a 2 minute fill up a block from my house if I chose to. I don't need to because if I let it get low, or need to go far I can spend 2 minutes to get 400 miles of range. It's asinine to say charging is faster.

Let’s have a hypothetical work commute race where we both have to fuel up, start from the same place, and end at the same place. I’ll charge overnight and you stop for your 2 minute fill up a block from your house after we depart together. Let’s see who gets to the work first. It’s asinine to say adding your 2 minute stop is faster. And that’s not even creative math.

#8861 7 months ago

But I'm not stupid enough to claim it take 2 seconds to charge because it happens while i sleep and two seconds is the time it take me to drop it on a charger.

I’ll… also… type… this… slow.. for… you… You… just.. agreed.. with… me… that… charging… overnight… isn’t… waiting… and… that… plugging… in… only… takes… 2… seconds… whether… it’s… an… EV… or… a… phone…

#8862 7 months ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

This only works if the EV leaves the house with the low battery light on and you have to stop to charge and the ICE leaves with the low fuel light on and he stops to fill up. Otherwise if you are going to fill up over night then he can go get gas in the middle of the night.

The whole point of this particular discussion is fueling time over the cars life. An EV has the option of fueling at home or on the road but eventually the ICE car will be forced to stop away from home for every single fueling stop. Over time, and with home charging, the EV will be faster to fuel in almost every instance.

pinballizfun even agrees with me in the statement below - stating that a yearly wait for an EV charge on the road is equivalent to 10-15 weeks of fueling for an ICE, but there are 52 weeks in a year. Hence an EV is 4x faster to fuel over a year than an ICE car. No creative math needed.

Your 30 minute average for those 3 stops is by your own 2-3 minute fill up number 10-15 weeks of fuel for ICE.

#8866 7 months ago
Quoted from Strummy:

Who would win the Cannonball Run? Would be interesting. Extra batteries, extra gas tanks, all kinds of strategies.
Nevermind. Got my answer
ICE 25 hrs 39 mins
EV 42 hrs 17 mins

It’s interesting to see how fast the EV record is improving - 15% in just 2 years. It’s like the early days of the ICE cannonball when people were figuring out how to add extra tanks, etc.
July 2019: 48 hrs 10 mins
Aug 2019: 45 hrs 16 mins
Jan 2021: 44 hrs 25 mins
Oct 2021: 42 hrs 17 mins

#8884 7 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

So here’s a legit question to discuss and I want to hear from both “sides” if this discussion.
I’m not seeing any gas stations putting in chargers of any kind. Are they in denial about (some percentage of) gas cars moving to ev? Is it not a good business model for them?

Sheets made an agreement with Tesla a few years ago. There are a bunch of Superchargers that have gone in since then - all up and down the east coast. Some Sheets have also made agreements with Electrify America for fast chargers - I also see those on the east coast. I believe there are some older ones at Wawa stations too.

#8900 7 months ago

Doge Challenger SRT Demon 170
“Quickest, fastest, most powerful mass-produced vehicle in the world”
0-60 1.66 seconds with 1 ft rollout
1/4 mile in 8.9 seconds @ 151 mph
1,025 HP

I’ll believe it when I see it. The problem with the Demons has always been traction. Throwing more horsepower at it won’t help without traction. They over promised with the original Demon & redeye too.
Honestly I’m more interested in that twin main rotor helicopter.

#8908 7 months ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Should I buy a 2017 Tesla Model S 75D with 60K miles form my BIL that's perfect for $30K? Wife wants it so it can driver her to work. I want it to get rid of having to go to gas stations, but 6 yrs seams old for an EV.

It's a fair price. KBB lists a 2017 S 75D in Blue with standard equipment at about $30k. The 2017 has the refreshed front end and a few other changes like an optional hepa air filter. The D means dual motor (AWD) so that's good. However it still has the older 18650 batteries. 18650's are the most common li-ion batteries around but are inferior to the 2170's in newer Teslas like the Model 3 and Y. The 2170 has a higher energy density, designed to last longer, and also have some fire control / prevention aspects designed into them.

If it were me, if I needed the extra room of a Model S then I'd consider it. If not I'd get a used Y. For a 2017 Model S the 90D would be better. Also as mentioned with the recent price drops you may want to wait a few weeks and see what those price drops do to used Tesla prices.

#8918 7 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I always like learning about manufacturing processes. Found this interesting:

Thanks for sharing. I've always liked JRE.
Redwood Materials, started by ex Tesla CTO JB Straubel, recycles batteries out of Nevada in much the same way - chopping them up then extracting the materials through different processes. It's probably the safest way to deal with them.
It's asinine to believe these batteries would end up in a landfill when they are so valuable.

1 week later
#8941 7 months ago

Here’s what I find interesting about these kind of articles - if he had been driving a Civic would the headlined have read “ Pipe-wielding Honda driver sentenced in road rage attacks”?

The type of car has nothing to do with the article but they know mentioning Tesla will result in more clicks.

1 week later
#8960 6 months ago

LOLOLOLOL.
exponential is easy when small, and prices aren't coming down.

The does not mean prices come down, just profit goes up. I'll believe it when its real and not a marketing forecast.

What do you want them to come down to? EVs are already on par with the average new US prices of $46,290. The most popular car right now, the Model Y, is $50,490. That's not that far off. And if you qualify for the $7.5k US incentives then it's $42,990 - well below the average.

When Model Y was released in 2020 it was $54,190. That's a 7.33% drop in just 3 years, without incentives, on the best selling car (EV or gas) in the world.
https://www.caranddriver.com/tesla/model-y-2020

2 weeks later
#9003 6 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Departed my house at 9:00 pm & arrived at seller's 8:00 am (11 hours)
- Made one stop for fuel/bathroom about 480 miles into the drive. Total elapsed time from when I exited to when I was back on the Interstate was 15 minutes

Departed seller's house at 9:30 am & arrived back at my house at 8:30 pm.
-Again, made one stop for fuel/bathroom about 500 miles since last fill-up. Total elapsed time from when I exited to when I was back on the Interstate was 15 minutes

Trip Summary
- 22 hours of driving (23.5 hour total trip)
- Included in the 22 hours was a total of 30 minutes spent (2 x 15 minute stops) from the time exiting the highway to being back on the highway for gas and bathroom
- Miles driven = 14,333

I think there's an error in your total mileage. 14,333 miles in 24 hours would have you travelling about 600 mph. Perhaps 1,433 miles?
Bravo, and congrats on the VPin. I too considered one for learning rule sets.

Out of 1,000 cars that make that long of a trip on any given day in the US I bet you can count the number of them that drive 5.5 hrs straight on one hand. Even less on how many would drive 24 hrs straight with only 3 stops.

What would an EV trip like this look like? It would require 2-3 stops each way (a stop every 4 hrs) and would add about 60-90 mins each way in charging time. That doesn't add a lot of time to the average person's trip that will stop for food/bathroom about every 4 hrs anyway.
EV = 2.5 extra hours total and about $125 less in fuel expenses..

But again, if this is your need then an EV is a bad fit. A car is a tool. Don't buy a phillips screwdriver when you need a flat head.

#9020 6 months ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Is that with the stupid math Tesla uses on their website that if you aren't smart enough to read makes them look cheaper? They take possible rebate and theroetical gas savings and list as price of their car.

No, that’s the purchase price. Avg price of new cars in the US as of March 2023 - $48,008. Price of new Tesla Model 3 - $38,990. That’s ~$10,000 less than the US average - before incentives.

#9038 6 months ago

Charging overnight can be slow, unless you actually need to go somewhere, then you're SOL.

I can't just unplug and go? I was so misinformed. I hope I don't get an important call while my phone is charging.

#9042 6 months ago

AT 2 to 3 minutes per gas fill up and one fill up a week you're spending on average 2 hours a year pumping gas.

Over 5 years 65,000 miles (right in line with national avg miles per year) I've never spent a total of two hours a year fast charging - I checked my logs. More like half that at most.

Over those 5 years my average fast charge was 12 minutes. I'm not saying people don't, but 2 hrs of fast charging/yr is more long distance travelling than the average person.
I think we can put the "gas is faster to fuel" argument to bed.

1 week later
#9060 5 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Another brilliant EV owner. Happened in Arlington, TX but car has Florida license plates.

That happened a month ago. It was posted it a few pages back.

#9071 5 months ago

This is like the first time legacy car companies have struggled to manage costs, competition and keep up with emerging tech!

Basically...yes. It costs more to retool an existing car to become an EV. Legacy auto is having to design new EVs from the ground up to manage costs. They also are realizing that 'farming out' the motors, battery, chargers, and other critical components to 3rd parties locks themselves into prices that they must re-negotiate or take a hit on margins to stay relevant. Vertical integration is the only way to manage all of this.

traditional auto profits (resized).pngtraditional auto profits (resized).png
#9081 5 months ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Ha, I always like the one in red.

For me I preferred the other one. That's why when I see this meme I was always thinking "you fool...". The one in red reminds me of a young Sarah Jessica Parker.
If you watch the whole series in the photo shoot the two girls end up falling in love, getting married, and the guy is left in the rain.

#9085 5 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Checkout this article about the new Ramcharger. Now this is impressive. I much rather own something this then a 100% EV truck.
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2023/11/07/stellantis-2025-ram-1500-ramcharger-to-deliver-big-range/71427702007/
"The Ramcharger combines a 92 kilowatt-hour battery pack with an onboard 130 kilowatt generator powered by a 3.6-liter Pentastar V6, according to the company. The upshot is a targeted 690 miles of range in a truck that promises 663 horsepower and 615 pound-feet of torque while it manages a 0-60 mph time of 4.4 seconds and towing of up 14,000 pounds."
“Range anxiety? Gone. Charge time? Gone. All you’ve got left is power. … The ultimate answer for the battery electric truck,”

I read about that this morning. It can be a nice middle ground for some but honestly I see it as the worst of both worlds. Pick a lane and stay in it.

Basically it’s a plug in hybrid (PHEV) (even though CEO Kuniskis says it isn’t). It works just like the Chevy Volt. Runs on an electric motor till dead then it uses an engine to power a generator to keep the electric motors working till the liquid fuel runs out. Yep, that’s a Chevy Volt - been around for over 12 years. Chevy discontinued it for a variety of reasons.

690 miles of EV + gas
27 gallon fuel tank.
Large 92 kWh battery
V6 3.6 liter Pentastar tied to a 130 kW generator

If you took out the 450 lbs of engine/ transmission / generator and the 200 lbs of fuel you’d get a lot more range than 145 miles on electric. And since 95% or more of the time the vehicle won’t need that extra range daily you’re just hauling around extra weight for that few % of driving time you’ll need it. I liken that to buying a car with a permanently attached trailer - for the few times I want to haul something.

I have a friend with a PHEV Jeep Wrangler. He goes out of his way to NOT use the engine if he can help it - and that thing only gets like 30 miles electric. He still has to run the engine on occasion and still do all the maintenance the engine requires.

#9094 5 months ago
Quoted from MrBally:

What if you use a plug-in hybrid vehicle only near your home, only in Electric mode? Would that be acceptable to you?

Well... that was kind of my point. While that's possible it is kinda silly to do so. My friend with the Wrangler 4xe charges it at home AND at work to stay all electric. That thing only gets 22 miles on electric. After a year of driving it he says he'd rather have a Jeep that gets 250-300 miles on electric and no gas engine at all.
For now he still has to run the engine on occasion anyway just to keep it ready and keep the gas fresh. And he still has to do all the gas side maintenance when the time comes.

He talked about that car for months while he waited for it. But now another year later he's frustrated with the driving experience.

#9107 5 months ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Sure there's an argument, let's say I need to drive 500 or 1000 miles with a deadline.

53 years on this earth and I can't remember a time I had to drop what I was doing, run out the door to drive 500 to 1000 miles with a deadline. That's 7-15 hours of driving. Especially with flights so cheap now. Maybe if I was using it as a company vehicle? But that's a different use case. But say I did... 500 miles / 7 hrs driving would be one 15 minute stop in an EV to reach the destination and save $50 in fuel doing it.

But even still I see PHEVs as a good middle ground for some that can't take the leap. I do wish they had more PHEVs in the 50-75 mile EV range area. I personally just don't see the PHEV use case for most - other than for business or hauling (which is what started this whole conversation - a truck).

By the way, not many trucks in Europe. Personally I think they have it right. Drive something smaller, more comfortable, cheaper for the majority of the time and if you need to haul something use a trailer. But that's another topic.

1 week later
#9121 5 months ago
Quoted from RTR:

Guess what I have to do almost every time I use her car? Nearest gas station is 5-6 miles away.

Yep, my wife hated pumping gas and I worked from home. SO she’d come home and have me go back out to fill up the car 1-2 times a week. Even though it was only 2 miles each way it was very annoying. 5 years EV now & I don’t miss that at all.

2 weeks later
#9136 4 months ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Ev sales are in the toilet, dealers are getting backed up with 12 month surplus and with the announced losses by manufacturers not sure where they go from here.

50% growth in a year is "in the toilet"?

The National Automobile Dealer Association (NADA) reports that through 11 months of 2023, BEV sales totaled 1,007,984 – an increase of 50.7% year-over-year.
https://electrek.co/2023/12/05/us-ev-sales-pass-1-million-2023/

2 months later
#9493 76 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, it would be more realistic to compare it to the much more stylish looking new Camry that costs a bit less fully loaded, but will be worth more than that Model Y in the secondary market 5 or even 10 years from now. That's pretty much a given.

Per Edmunds... probably not a given. This is for a Model S, but the 2013 S price is almost as much as today's Model Y price.

2013 Camry ranges from $4,477 to $15,098
2013 Tesla ranges from $7,992 to $17,923

Quoted from o-din:

I pay under $1,000 a year total for two older gas powered vehicles with mostly minimum coverage. I guess if you wanted to go liability only on your EV, it might save you a few bucks as well.

I pay $1,300 yearly to USAA for a RAV4 and a Tesla together in NC - at full coverage with uninsured motorist added on. If I dropped the uninsured motorist options it'd be about $1,150 - or about 15% more expensive than yours.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tripplett.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread?tu=tripplett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.