ford-charge-station-pro-install-with-1-conduit-this-time-v0-e1kcy3p1c3za1.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Image 4-21-24 at 1.05?PM (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 13-53-01 Who Wants a Loud Car (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 18-12-04 reddit (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 8.32.26?AM (resized).png
used (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sulli10.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2650 1 year ago

I have been in the electric generation business for 45 years. Nuclear , coal , oil, gas, solar, wind etc. Been part of teams in over 20 states that create/ generate electric power.

My “truth” is that Nuclear is too expensive and takes too long to build.

A 1000MW Nuclear plant is probably 20 times more expensive. And will take 10 to 20 times the construction period as a modern day gas combined cycle unit. The Nuke will be less efficient and one heck of a lot slower than the gas cc plant to respond to grid dynamics.

The nuke will need 500 to 700 people to operate it and the gas plant approximately 30.

The fuel and carbon emissions advantage does go to Nuclear but the spent fuel waste is still a problem. The spent fuel rods are stored in dry caskets on concrete pads at the plants.

There is only one company in the US today building nuclear because of financial implications. It is a utility and it will be interesting to see the impacts it has on customer prices due to the hi construction costs when it does go on line.

Most of the Nuclear plants operating today were built in the 70’s and early 80’s. Even back then , the cost and lengthy schedule delays almost bankrupted several of the parent companies during construction. Be hard to see a modern day public company board of directors take on the financial risk for some time

Most of the electricity created in the North East today is fueled by gas not coal. The coal plants got crushed economically by low natural gas prices from 2008 till about prices. Most of the smaller ones shut down for economics all over the country.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sulli10.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread?tu=sulli10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.