ford-charge-station-pro-install-with-1-conduit-this-time-v0-e1kcy3p1c3za1.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Image 4-21-24 at 1.05?PM (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 13-53-01 Who Wants a Loud Car (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 18-12-04 reddit (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 8.32.26?AM (resized).png
used (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smalltownguy2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3768 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

gas stations are not parking lots. Parking lots are not fuel stations. If you put a fuel station in a parking lot, people will park there. If you put a fuel station in a street parking location, people will park there. If some ICE person parks in a EV charging station, that is an issue. If an ICE person parks in the grocery store lot that happens to have a charger in it too bad, that's a parking lot. If an EV parks at a gas station pump, that's a problem, if an EV parks in a parking lot, its not.

It IS possible to have a fueling station inside of a parking lot, no? Are you capable of understanding that concept?

#3772 1 year ago

Sure costco has them all over, same with sams and other stores, they are in separate areas from the parking lot. Put the fuel spot in general parking and you'll have people park there. Are you capable of understanding the concepts of parking lots and fuel stations? Or do you also get confused as to why you drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

I get it. But then again, I also read and abide by signage when I drive (and park).

#3811 1 year ago

you can't randomly ticket people for parking in a parking space, until there is legislation passed that actually prohibits parking there.

Maybe not, but you CAN have them towed. Let them deal with the towing company. A $200 tow bill should sting pretty good.

#3820 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Well it probably also varies from tow truck company to tow truck company, imagine being the tower getting the call and theres no law or signs. That guy isnt gonna want to deal with that crap. He'd probably say, "Just ask them to move..."

Most tow companies I've called for various issues don't give a flying **** about whether or not the property owner has any legal rights or not. If they respond and tow the car, then it's up to the vehicle owner to file suit if they (the vehicle owner) feel there was any wrongdoing on the part of the parking spot owner. The tow guy gets paid either way.

That is, IF they're willing to show up and do the tow. Sometimes they're too busy to be bothered, or don't want to take the job for some other reason (too tight to fit, too far away, etc etc)

#3884 1 year ago

Cleanly, but not losslessly.

Plenty of loss with fossil fuel transportation too.

#3891 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

In today's paper (just posting FWIW):
"E.V.s Start With a Bigger Carbon Footprint. But That Doesn’t Last.
The manufacturing and disposal of electric vehicles result in more greenhouse gases than nonelectric models, but that difference will eventually disappear altogether."
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/19/business/electric-vehicles-carbon-footprint-batteries.html

Ew, paywall. Gross.

#3927 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

In many parts of America (Texas for example) the math doesn't work.
It's far cheaper to pay your electric bill for the rest of your life than to do solar.

I used to share that opinion, although the EV conversation being added to the mix makes it a break-even at this point for me (including rebates).

House batteries have shot through the roof right now - that's the only thing that's really holding me back from doing a full solar array on my roof with a house battery in the basement.

I'm already due for a service upgrade (only 100amp service in my house and the panel needs to be upgraded as well as my wiring.) As long as I'm rewiring the house I might as well upgrade to 200amp, send an 80amp circuit to the garage for EV charging, and outfit the roof with panels. I have a large lot with an 80 foot ranch home with a 4/12 pitch roof that faces east/west. Good candidate for solar. Easy to climb up, easy to maintain, low pitch means good sun angle.

But the Tesla PowerWall is killing me right now with their pricing.

#3929 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

You can easily get by with half that unless you are powering something else in the garage too. Most EV wall connectors max out at 30-40 amps anyway. Plus 40A gets you 9.6kW. That will charge most EVs, including Teslas, in 4-8 hrs max. Or just run 50A and put in a NEMA 14-50. Then you can run welders, RVs, EVs, etc.

Two Level 2 chargers plus headroom for a ceiling-mounted garage heater. Gets chilly 'round these parts in the winter

#3931 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

check out Generac's PWRCell

Wow, thanks for the heads up! I'll look into those.

#3933 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

If you have natural gas at your home, why not get a backup generator connected to that?
I've yet to have power blink since I moved to Vegas and we have high (30-50 mph) winds for 12-20 hours at a time at least once a month. I brought a gasoline powered unit that supplies 50 amps @240 volts so I can run most of the house if needed. Only one A/C unit though.

For me it's not about protecting against a power outage, rather to set up mostly "off-grid" operation and to charge EV's. I mean sure, you get protection from an outage by design, I guess.

#3935 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Take your old 100a panel, and install it in your garage.
Just because today's EV only need a certain amperage, that does not mean there won't be faster charging vehicles in the future.
Think of your phone.
A 15w charger was huge a few years ago, but now all the good phones are 160w and charge to 100% in 15 minutes

Nah, a sub panel in the garage will be fine. The old panel is out dated and not coded to be reused.

1 week later
#4136 1 year ago

ICE vehicles don't have the option of "downtime fueling," so I'm gonna put that as a negative here.

#4144 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It literally is. The app I'm recording the data with was written by me.

Oh snap!

#4208 1 year ago

*Unless you want to go out at night.
*Or after going out at night.
*Or any time you don't have 8+ hours between trips.

Why do you keep assuming that EV owners come home and park their car with near-zero charge every day? It's simply not true.

#4239 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

When the company with the largest market share in homeowner lawnmowers says there's no market left, it pretty much means there is no market left.

You spelled "John Deere" wrong.

#4321 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The weather and natural beauty is worth the price of admission, IMO.

In CA? I'll just have to take your word for it.

I'm not currently an EV owner. But I do have a reservation, and I'm patiently waiting.

#4323 1 year ago

when I need more torque, absolutely. Way better for mixing thin-set and grout.

Agreed. But I don't reach for the corded drill when I'm driving a few screws in the garage. It's overkill.

It's the same reason I don't drive an 18-wheeler to work every day. The tool doesn't match the job.

I have a 9 mile commute to work every day. I couldn't be a better candidate for an EV.

#4328 1 year ago

I'll argue that last one with you. It's a hot topic with my chemist daughter LOL

#4369 1 year ago

You've got to be kidding me.

Do I have to type this?

Quoted from Brainiac:

My elderly mother needs to drive from South GA to north GA (approximately 300 miles). What EV can she buy under 40 grand to make the trip without having to stop somewhere she is unfamiliar with?

2023 Nissan Leaf, 60kwh battery.

There's a charging station at Chick-fil-A in Peachtree City. Stop & have a meal, charge while you're there. Then finish your drive.

And if she's not familiar with Chick-fil-A living in Georgia, then I don't know what to tell you.

Quoted from Brainiac:

I need to drive from Atlanta, GA to Chicago with family of 6, and I can't stop somewhere for an hour a time as I need to make it in 12 hours. What EV can I get?

You're not making that drive in any passenger vehicle in 12 hours, under any reasonable circumstances. Try again.

#4398 1 year ago

Okay this is just flat out incorrect.

#4455 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Color, GTS trim, leather interior, and the biggest change: AWD instead of RWD. MUCH faster. 0-60 from 5.2 -> 3.5.

Wow, congrats. You and I definitely do not live the same life. I'm jealous.

porsche (resized).pngporsche (resized).png

1 week later
#4482 1 year ago

And the naysayers are out en masse to discredit nearly everything about the situation. Typical.

#4485 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

It really doesn't matter if you have 2,100 miles when you can only drive 650-900 miles in one shift.

Tandem drive teams, bro.

#4493 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Tandem drivers are always LBGTQ
The most well known secret of the trucking industry....[quoted image]

My next door neighbor is part of a tandem driving team for UPS. If you said this to his face he would likely rearrange it.

That was a seriously inappropriate comment.

#4526 1 year ago

Are all gay jokes now inappropriate and cause for violent retaliation or is your neighbor just a huge homophobe and so sensitive to the point if someone jokes that he may be gay he has to resort to violence - Because to me it seems an odd reason for violence

Joking about someone's sexual orientation is never funny. Ever. Fuck around and find out, I guess.

My neighbor's daughter and her wife would probably pound on you after he was done too. And then my lesbian daughter would probably kick you in the groin.

Find something else to make fun of.

1 week later
#4645 1 year ago

As long as we're discussing time comparisons here, it should be noted that there is a time cost to repairing issues that come up with an ICE vehicle. Scheduling appointments, dropping off the vehicle, (sometimes) waiting on-site for repair, picking up said vehicle, getting towed (due to engine failure), waiting for tow, etc.

The "time" invested in maintenance and repair on an ICE vehicle is a fair bit more than an EV.

#4722 1 year ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I generally agree with the lower maintenance cost (time and money) with an EV. However... my EV has been sitting at the dealership (had to have it towed there) for over 2 months now waiting for a new battery control module that they can't seem to get.

This issue isn't exclusive to EV's. My daughter drives a 2014 Ford Focus and the transmission control module on these cars is so bad that Ford has agreed to warranty every one of them to 150,000 miles, no questions asked. The problem? You can't get a TCM LOL. There are thousands of Focus cars sitting at dealerships right now waiting for a replacement TCM.

Parts shortages happen all the time. It's not exclusive to EV's.

As to your assertion that EV's fail in a "more expensive" fashion, I'd like more data on that. I personally know dozens of EV owners, and I can't recall any of them telling me about anything that was more than a small issue. Small sample size, I know. But I know I can rattle off at least a dozen ICE owners I've talked to IN JUST THE PAST MONTH that have talked about a repair that's more than $2500.

2 weeks later
#4975 1 year ago
Quoted from Brainiac:

I've thought about a water heater. But what happens to the hot water when the power goes out?

Mine runs on natural gas, so nothing.

#4989 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The more people buy EVs, the more contention we have for DC chargers (and the more frequently they break.)
My experience has changed markedly over the past 1.5 years of EV ownership. At first the chargers were deserted, and worked flawlessly. Increasingly there are broken chargers, underperforming chargers, and in some cases a line waiting to use them.
I have only used a DC charger once so far on my new Taycan GTS, just to make sure the DC charging functioned correctly on the car. All my charging has been at home, primarily because I haven't gone on any road trips with it yet.
On the previous car I was really interested in pushing the road trips, trying out all the different chargers, and make sure it could do everything my prior gas cars could do. This time I'm just using the car fairly normally.

This is the chicken/egg problem EV owners are hoping for. Infrastructure will now need to be ramped up to keep pace with demand. Hopefully the government continues offering incentives.

#5000 1 year ago
Quoted from jakethesnake181:

I dont see any electric vehicles pulling cars and trucks out of the snow in Baltimore or anywhere for that matter, what a joke , electric isnt the answer

I don't see any kerolox vehicles driving down my highway (or any highway, for that matter.) What a joke. Kerolox must not be the answer for transportation.

spacex (resized).jpgspacex (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#5206 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

While it doesn't plugin, the E-Ray is the quickest Corvette ever with 0-60 at 2.5 seconds and the quarter mile in 10.5 seconds. Still has V8 powertrain that drives the rears while electric motors drive the fronts for all wheel drive traction.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

For when you really want to annoy both the EV AND the ICE owners at the same time LOL

1 week later
#5256 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

The average new EV is $65k, that is not affordable to the average American

I consider myself to be an average American. My wife and I both make around $60-65K per year. My last USED vehicle purchase was $52K. It's certainly affordable. Not everyone's budget is set up the same way.

#5276 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

With probably 50m range left
Old leafs - bad

Not necessarily. I commute 9 miles to work every day. Not everyone needs long-range available in their daily commuter. We can keep an ICE truck around for the hauling & long trips. What we really need is a sub $30K EV with about 200 miles range. The selection is growing, just need to be a bit more patient for the Detroit 3 to get into mass production.

I'm eyeing the BOLT EUV right now, but I'm still waiting to see what else comes up in next few years.

#5280 1 year ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Makes all the sense in the world. Not everyone can afford a brand new ICE car, so used ICE is the way to go until EV's become cheap and plentiful.
I'm retired and on a fixed income, think I can afford a 50K car? Lots of people in the same boat.

Being retired and on a fixed income does not mean you cannot afford a $50K car. One does not beget the other.

#5328 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

2 EVs take spots in the Top 10 best selling cars in the World for 2022.
Toyota Corolla: 1.12 million (down 2% vs last year)
Toyota RAV4: 870,000 (down 14% versus last year)
Ford F-Series: 787,000 (down 9% versus last year)
Tesla Model Y: 759,000 (up 88% versus last year)
Toyota Camry: 675,000 (down 3% versus last year)
Honda CR-V: 601,000 (down 18% versus last year)
Tesla Model 3: 596,000 (up 4% versus last year)
If the list was sorted by revenue Model Y takes top spot since it averaged a sale price of $55k. Every other car in the top 10 declines.
"But but but people can't afford high priced EVs..."
note: the average price of a new car in November 2022 was almost $49k.

I showed this article to my wife and initiated a discussion around EV's again. She started sending me links to 2-year-old videos about battery recycling. I stopped talking. She's not ready to engage in useful discussion about it yet.

#5337 1 year ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Because it's something that has happened to several Teslas.

And?

Do you know how many ICE fires there are every year? Again, why is this pertinent?

#5339 1 year ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Do you know how many MORE Ice cars there are than Teslas? Plus 6000 gallons of water to put the Tesla Fire out?
How about ANOTHER Model S fire:
https://www.newser.com/story/322057/tesla-spontaneously-caught-fire-kept-igniting.html#:~:text=A%20Tesla%20Model%20S%20had%20been%20sitting%20in,melted%20and%20burned%20metal%2C%22%20per%20the%20Washington%20Post.
How about the investigations?
Note that this is about Model S and X.

Page 10 of this thread called, they are tired and want to go back to sleeping under the dead horse.

#5392 1 year ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

It might be the Trans thing??
I mean, the way EV don't tend to have a Trans . . .

You're really not funny. Please go away.

#5406 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Did you remember to get gas?

This is a very real conversation that's happened in our household many times. My wife is notorious for letting the fuel level in her car hover around empty. Especially in the winter months.

#5441 1 year ago

Here's an article from the town next door to me. Somerset, WI.

We are deep in Red Republican territory around here, with ICE lovers and coal rollers everywhere. Mechanics at car dealers around here just laugh at people who buy EV's. They'd better get their asses enrolled in continuing education classes at work to become certified on programming / servicing EV's, or they're gonna miss out on some work.

Being a small geo footprint in Somerset, a Model Y AWD dual motor set up as an in-town squad was a really smart move for their PD. I don't think the whole fleet of squads can be EV, but for the daily cruisers that park overnight, this was a no-brainer.

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/287279/20230207/somerset-pd-chief-shares-benefits-using-tesla-model-y-patrol.htm

#5443 1 year ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Wait what, I thought they were almost maint. free.

You just said it. Almost. There are very few mechanical repairs, but there are still operating system and other software upgrades / repairs that can sometimes only be done in a dealer environment. Especially when those repairs involve a large system, like the entertainment / nav system. Yes, many updates can be pushed OTA, but not all.

And many of the regular maintenance items like brakes, suspension, body work, tires, alignments and more - those are ALL totally different on an EV platform due to the way the vehicles are constructed. Any mechanic who refuses to get certified to work on EV's is just pissing potential work down the drain.

You know, there used to be plenty of mechanics that wouldn't work on cars with onboard OBD-II interfaces. Now you can't even get a job as a mechanic unless you know how to use a code reader and program a vehicle. You have to be careful about choosing the hill you'll die on.

#5447 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

But what he did not quote... was the concerns over keeping the vehicle in service. Police cars get beat to shit. This is why Police Departments all over fought so hard when Ford killed the last body on frame crown vics. They are constantly being damaged and repaired - so keeping them 'duty ready' is a BIG deal. That is actually Telsa's WORST aspect these days... getting service and parts in a timely fashion. I think mr police chief is in for a reality check on that one.

That's not really the case in small Western WI towns like this. We're more like Mayberry, USA here than downtown Portland. Damage to police cruisers here isn't that common.

Besides, after you pay the deductible, there's really isn't any difference in cost here. Time to repair will be nearly the same. Body shops around here are at least 2 months out on most repairs. Tesla body repair is the same.

But again, I'm not sure it's fair to include speculative costs. No one plans on an accident with body damage. You can pretty much plan on substantial engine maintenance over the life of a vehicle. Most OEM's even give you a schedule for it right in your manual.

#5449 1 year ago

I remember when my family thought I was nuts for ditching my land line phone at my house. All kinds of "But what if....but what if.....but what if" going on.

2 weeks later
#5512 1 year ago

What if some of use just like electric cars for all the benefits exclusive of anything environmental?

He won't respond. Doesn't fit his narrative.

#5572 1 year ago

Looks like we're now finally seeing some real-world examples of non-Tesla owners charging at Tesla superchargers in the network. This could really change the game once it's implemented across the whole charging network:

1 week later
#5622 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Here you go, scientific evidence that Ford F150 Lightning buyers are more "truck" than their poseur ICE driving counterparts!

Src: https://www.teslarati.com/ford-f-150-lightning-new-niche-consumers/

Sample bias. I'd wager that because the overall expense of owning/purchasing the F150 lightning, you have to be more wealthy to afford one. More wealthy people tend to engage in recreational activities like camping, biking, tenting, etc. Also, wealthier people have more money to spend on home remodel projects. Also, the "early adopters" tend to be folks that do those things. (that's my anecdotal observation only)

ICE F150 owners, on the other hand, tend to be more blue collar workers. Less time and money for leisure persuits.

#5626 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

KBB says the average price of new cars sold in the US last year was $49k. The Ford F-150 starting price is $56k. You’ll get a $7,500 tax rebate as long as your tax burden is that. So your F-150 ends up costing you $500 less than the national average new car. That’s before fuel and maintenance savings. So just an average person, not a wealthy one.
Plus the F-150 Pro trim, the starting price one, comes very nicely equipped surprisingly.

The Pro is near impossible to find new still. Thanks for playing.

#5628 1 year ago
Quoted from altan:

Most people prefer the Premium anyway.

Pro, XLT, Lariat, Platinum. There's no "premium."

3 weeks later
#5876 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

No shit. People who love taxes are either on the government dole or are just stupid.

Incorrect.

#5926 1 year ago
Quoted from Ribs:

Because pedestrians obviously have the right of way in a parking lot.....it's no wonder why there's so many pedestrian deaths in this country based on your attitude.
https://www.ghsa.org/resources/news-releases/GHSA/Ped-Spotlight-Full-Report22

Having the right of way doesn't give you carte blanche to walk around obliviously like a fucking idiot. Lift your gaze away from your phone screen and actually interact with your surroundings for once.

/rant

#5929 1 year ago
Quoted from Ribs:

Why do you only have words for distracted pedestrians who have the right of way and none for distracted and reckless drivers running people over at all time record levels? Where are your words for the lack of sidewalks and safe pedestrian infrastructure? Words for dangerous blind zones for trucks/SUVS that are ever increasing in size? Your risk analysis is shit and not supported by data.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
It's the kid's fault if anything happens! The 2nd leading cause of death for children can be simply solved with the child having a greater sense of personal responsibility. Genuis!

Responsibility isn't either/or. Drivers need to watch for peds. Duh.

But the clueless zombies staring at their phones don't get a free pass.

#6017 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

It’s not that government CAN be wasteful. Government is wasteful and corrupt.

I work for a municipal government of 2700 people. I disagree with your assertion. You're welcome to come and examine our budget if you'd like.

#6115 1 year ago

good analogy, and I agree - can't see any of the current crop adopting the tesla connector.
at least Tesla is converting it's charges over to both options

Hopefully Tesla will follow suit like Apple did with the Lightning connector. Blech.

2 weeks later
#6378 12 months ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

I’m calling BS on those car fire numbers. Let’s just assume that there are only 10 million ICE vehicles currently operating in the country to make this simple. That would mean that there are over 1.5 million car fires annually just for ICE. That would be over 4200 fires a day. Not seeing that.
Doh, missed a zero
153000 annually

I believe you are tasked with providing the data to support your assertion if you refute someone else's data. Onus is on you to support your assertion. Just because you have a hard time believing facts doesn't mean they're not true.

#6380 12 months ago

I can’t help you see the forest for the trees.

Okay, deflection. That's a tactic, I guess.

#6440 11 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. How many more systems/parts does this add to the car? What does it do to the tires over time? What is the possibility of failure and/or engagement while driving, etc.?
I've been driving for nearly 40 years, and I've had the need to fit into a tight parallel spot that I couldn't park in normally maybe 5 times in my life, and that is driving in cities. Sure, if every car in America had this capability, then it might change how the parking spaces were laid out or painted, but that is not going to happen any time soon.

Yeah I'm with you here. The whole point of my wanting to get into an EV is because there's WAY less parts in the drivetrain to break/have to be serviced.

Why would I step backwards by purchasing a vehicle with more complex parts to break again? Goes against my train of thinking.

#6443 11 months ago
Quoted from michiganpinball:

My personal experience with EV has been good. Recently crossed 100K miles on 2019 model 3 performance. It hasn't been perfect but only expense has been tires and windshield washer fluid. Range is down about 6% from new. Costs $3 in electricity to go 100 miles (charging at home at night). Probably won't buy another IC vehicle.
[quoted image]

Equivalent to around 100mpg if you assume that same $3 gets you a gallon of gas for an ICE vehicle. (which is ambitious, since most of the country is now above $3).

I'd guess for most owners who do residential charging, this is a similar scenario.

Has anyone here ever done a break-even analysis on the model 3 performance against a similarly equipped average ICE vehicle? I get that you pay a lot more "up front" for the EV when purchasing, but the cost of ownership (and potential fueling savings, depending on driving behavior) must cause a "break-even" at some point. I wonder when that is.

#6449 11 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I saw someone in a video do that years ago, but it was mostly projections. And I don’t remember the outcome. But at this point it could be done with real world data. I would think it would be a loooong time. And that’s coming from someone who doesn’t hate EVs.

Back of the napkin math on a $38,000 purchase price shows about 9 years before an EV (difference in price versus an ICE vehicle) pays for itself in fuel/maintenance savings.

Assuming 13,500 miles driven a year, gas at $3 per gallon, and electric cost of about $450 in charging a year.

This isn't horrible, I've owned my last two cars for 14 years and 18 years respectively. Provided I can hold an EV that long without a major battery repair, it might actually be worth it to try and find a decent used EV in an SUV chassis. IF I could find one.

This doesn't take into account the value of my time not having to schedule and wait for routine engine maintenance items. There's a value on that for me, for sure.

#6461 11 months ago
Quoted from tripplett:

Break even for purchase price? If you are comparing a model 3 performance and a similarly equipped ice vehicle then the price is about the same. A 2023 Corvette is about $62k. Model 3 P is $53k. Or am I misunderstanding the question? If you're trying to compare a 500hp gas 0-6 sub 3.5 second car you'll be paying around $60k (or more).

Except where is the $38k coming from? Is that the ICE car equivalent? A low cost EV? For comparison the average new 2023 car price is now $50k.
And I'd use closer to $4 per gallon. We're at $3.50 avg nationally and projections are for prices to go up. Extrapolate that out over those 9 years so definitely use higher prices. Maybe even use $4.50... Your $450 per yr for an EV is about right though.
And if you are going to include time saved for routine engine maintenance then you also have to include time waiting for fuel. We've had this discussion on here a few months ago... lets say 2 mins to fill up with gas plus a minute fiddling with the pump and cards, etc. Fill up once a week and that equates to 156 minutes a year.
I fast charge my EV a couple times a year and the avg wait time over 5 years has been 14 minutes. So to charge my EV on long road trips is lets say 4 per yr x 14 mins = 56 minutes vs 156 minutes to fuel gas a yr. Over those same 9 years that's 900 more minutes waiting on gas. That's 15 hrs more - just fueling.
I did cost analysis when I bought my Model 3 AWD. What I discovered was by the time I get to 100k miles driven it will have cost me the same as a $23k gas car. Basically a Honda Civic in the lowest trim they offer. This does however include the $7,500 tax break I got in 2018 (now offered again today).

Yeah, lower priced (maybe even used) EV. I'll never purchase a model 3 performance new.

I'm not an EV customer unless they are similarly priced to an ICE counterpart. That'll be a while, I think. If ever.

#6473 11 months ago
Quoted from tripplett:

But they are already today. I put that in my post but perhaps you missed it. The average price of a new car in the US is now $49,500. There are like a dozen EVs at that price or less. That doesn't even include the $7,500 tax rebate.

Yes but you need to compare apples to apples. Utility to utility.

Average ICE pickup versus EV pickup

Average ICE SUV versus EV SUV

Average ICE sedan versus similar EV sedan.

I believe EV's are still more expensive than their ICE counterparts. Especially in the used market.

1 week later
#6556 11 months ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Is pinside a reliable source of information about EVs ?

As good as most, in my opinion. This hobby is fucking expensive. Usually you have to be pretty smart to make a lot of money. Smart people tend to know things, or at least know how to research things.

These are my opinions. YMMV

#6559 11 months ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Are pinsiders smarter than average?
It is not accurate to make a blanket statement about the intelligence of a particular group of people based solely on their interest in a hobby. Intelligence is a complex and multifaceted trait that cannot be fully captured by any single measure or indicator.
Furthermore, "Pinsiders" is a term used to describe individuals who are interested in pinball, and while there may be some common characteristics shared among members of this group, such as a passion for the game and its history, it is unlikely that this interest alone is a reliable indicator of their intelligence.
In conclusion, it is not appropriate to make broad generalizations about the intelligence of "Pinsiders" or any other group based solely on their interests or hobbies. Intelligence is a complex and multifaceted trait that is difficult to measure and cannot be fully captured by any single measure or indicator.

Don't complicate it. My argument is simply to assert that there's a correlation between being wealthy and being smart. That's it.

2 weeks later
#6679 11 months ago

Just like VHS won in the 80's, looks like Tesla may win the charger standard now. Ford is adopting the Tesla connector in 2025+ EV's.

https://electricautonomy.ca/2023/05/26/tesla-ford-supercharger-public-charging/

Tesla and Ford may be retail competitors, but now they are charging partners — with a new Supercharger deal and Ford’s move to adopt Tesla’s charging port in all new EVs starting in 2025

Tesla is opening its Supercharger network to Ford EV drivers in Canada and the U.S. in spring 2024; while Ford will phase out Combined Charging System ports on its vehicles in favour of Tesla’s North American Charging Standard (NACS) port, starting in 2025.

These announcements — unveiled jointly in a Twitter Live discussion yesterday by Telsa CEO Elon Musk and Ford CEO Jim Farley — are a strong signal from the two American automakers that charging access is a critical component of selling EVs.

Initially, Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning and E-Transit owners will have access to Tesla’s over 12,000-strong Supercharger network. Future Ford drivers with the NACS ports on their vehicles will follow.

“Tesla has led the industry in creating a large, reliable and efficient charging system and we are pleased to be able to join forces in a way that benefits customers and overall EV adoption,” said Marin Gjaja, chief customer officer for the Ford Model e in a press release.

“The Tesla Supercharger network has excellent reliability and the NACS plug is smaller and lighter. Overall, this provides a superior experience for customers.”

The announcement is also the first indication from Tesla that it will open up its Supercharger network to non-Tesla vehicles in Canada. Already non-Tesla drivers in the U.S. are able to access some Tesla Superchargers using an adapter at the station.

“We don’t want the Tesla Supercharger network to be a walled garden,” said Musk.

“It is our intent to do everything possible to support Ford and have Ford be on an equal footing at Tesla Superchargers.”

BlueOval charging network

Currently, Ford EV drivers have access to the automaker’s BlueOval charging network.

The BlueOval charging network is “the largest public charging network in North America offered by automotive manufacturers,” claims Ford.

It’s a pay-as-you-go network spanning North America. BlueOval has over 84,000 chargers and partners including ChargePoint, FLO, Shell ReCharge, SemaCharge Network and Electric Circuit.

Adding Tesla’s Supercharger network boosts that number to nearly 100,000 chargers (22,000 fast chargers). And Ford dealerships are also putting a combined 1,800 public fast-chargers online by 2024.

“Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning and E-Transit customers will be able to access the Superchargers via an adapter and software integration along with activation and payment via FordPass or Ford Pro Intelligence,” reads Ford’s explanation of how the integration will work.

Ford is calling all of its EVs made in or after 2025 its “next generation” EVs. Tesla, in its recent Investor Day presentation pegs Supercharger reliability at 99.95 per cent.

“This is great news for our customers who will have unprecedented access to the largest network of fast-chargers in the U.S. and Canada with 12,000+ Tesla Superchargers plus 10,000+ fast-chargers already in the BlueOval Charge Network,” said Farley.

#6683 11 months ago

VHS is dead. Is that what we are celebrating here?

It's alive and well in my house thank you very much

#6689 11 months ago

Are you embracing obsolete non green tech?

I don't throw things away simply because they are obsolete. It's why I still own a solid-state pin.

#6701 10 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Had a friend that bought a F150 the first year they went to aluminum panels. Wasn't long before he was in an accident and regretted his decision. I'm sure it is getting better, but I know there are still limited shops that do aluminum work. I unfortunately had a vehicle totaled recently (not my fault - my truck was rear ended causing frame damage), and while I was at a national collision repair chain with probably 20+ locations here in DFW, I heard the receptionist tell a caller that only one of their locations in Fort Worth did aluminum repairs.

I worked for a Ford dealer for 13 years. Our body shop requires at least 25% of their repair techs be certified in aluminum work. All of the tech schools now focus on aluminum work in their curriculum too. It's commonplace now.

#6712 10 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Since when is 1 in 4 commonplace when 4 in 4 are trained to do steel/plastic work (my assumption)? I fully understand your dealership's advancement in this area, but I'm sure your owners have to balance certifications/training with demand while at the same time never wanting to turn a customer (i.e. revenue) away. Also, the key is you worked for a Ford dealer, not an independent. I'm sure Ford required in their dealership agreement for a portion of your techs to be certified.
BTW, the point is not that you can't get aluminum panels repaired, but that currently there aren't as many places to get it done, it will probably take longer, and it will certainly be more expensive to repair (especially if done by a dealership that typically has much higher overhead than an independent shop).

They're all trained on it, and all can complete the repairs. Only 25% need to be "certified" in order for the dealer franchise agreement to be valid.

Cost is not really that different. Much more "glue-in" going on these days, rather than "weld-in," even with steel. Most of the Al repairs are insurance claims, so the customer is just paying deductible. (and of course higher premiums later).

#6723 10 months ago

Starting to look for a new EV to replace our Honda Odyssey and supplement our 10-year-old Leaf. Need something that can carry at least one pinball machine and be "reasonably" priced.
Considering the 2024 Chevy Blazer. Any recommendations/thoughts?[quoted image]

$60,000 for that one - maybe more

#6730 10 months ago
Quoted from coolwhs:

If anyone has a Ford Ecoboost or Mazda with the same engine; this is what it takes to replace a head gasket:

That's why you find a way to get them done under warranty.

#6734 10 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Get an Equinox EV. Much cheaper...

Are they even available yet?

#6736 10 months ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Just like VHS won in the 80's, looks like Tesla may win the charger standard now. Ford is adopting the Tesla connector in 2025+ EV's.
https://electricautonomy.ca/2023/05/26/tesla-ford-supercharger-public-charging/
Tesla and Ford may be retail competitors, but now they are charging partners — with a new Supercharger deal and Ford’s move to adopt Tesla’s charging port in all new EVs starting in 2025
Tesla is opening its Supercharger network to Ford EV drivers in Canada and the U.S. in spring 2024; while Ford will phase out Combined Charging System ports on its vehicles in favour of Tesla’s North American Charging Standard (NACS) port, starting in 2025.
These announcements — unveiled jointly in a Twitter Live discussion yesterday by Telsa CEO Elon Musk and Ford CEO Jim Farley — are a strong signal from the two American automakers that charging access is a critical component of selling EVs.
Initially, Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning and E-Transit owners will have access to Tesla’s over 12,000-strong Supercharger network. Future Ford drivers with the NACS ports on their vehicles will follow.
“Tesla has led the industry in creating a large, reliable and efficient charging system and we are pleased to be able to join forces in a way that benefits customers and overall EV adoption,” said Marin Gjaja, chief customer officer for the Ford Model e in a press release.
“The Tesla Supercharger network has excellent reliability and the NACS plug is smaller and lighter. Overall, this provides a superior experience for customers.”
The announcement is also the first indication from Tesla that it will open up its Supercharger network to non-Tesla vehicles in Canada. Already non-Tesla drivers in the U.S. are able to access some Tesla Superchargers using an adapter at the station.
“We don’t want the Tesla Supercharger network to be a walled garden,” said Musk.
“It is our intent to do everything possible to support Ford and have Ford be on an equal footing at Tesla Superchargers.”
BlueOval charging network
Currently, Ford EV drivers have access to the automaker’s BlueOval charging network.
The BlueOval charging network is “the largest public charging network in North America offered by automotive manufacturers,” claims Ford.
It’s a pay-as-you-go network spanning North America. BlueOval has over 84,000 chargers and partners including ChargePoint, FLO, Shell ReCharge, SemaCharge Network and Electric Circuit.
Adding Tesla’s Supercharger network boosts that number to nearly 100,000 chargers (22,000 fast chargers). And Ford dealerships are also putting a combined 1,800 public fast-chargers online by 2024.
“Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning and E-Transit customers will be able to access the Superchargers via an adapter and software integration along with activation and payment via FordPass or Ford Pro Intelligence,” reads Ford’s explanation of how the integration will work.
Ford is calling all of its EVs made in or after 2025 its “next generation” EVs. Tesla, in its recent Investor Day presentation pegs Supercharger reliability at 99.95 per cent.
“This is great news for our customers who will have unprecedented access to the largest network of fast-chargers in the U.S. and Canada with 12,000+ Tesla Superchargers plus 10,000+ fast-chargers already in the BlueOval Charge Network,” said Farley.

And now GM has joined Ford in adopting the Tesla charging standard. That pretty much seals it - it will be the NACS from here out.

I might actually be able to consider purchasing a Ford or GM EV now. Road trips using the Tesla network are a little more possible.

#6761 10 months ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

That's cool, but don't forget that an engine that is not run frequently still requires oil changes every 12 months. Oil absorbs harmful moisture and separates and thickens over time.

I'm not sure I buy this

#6770 10 months ago

Of course, there are some additional costs associated with owning a hybrid car. For example, you may need to pay more for insurance, and you may have to pay a premium for the car itself. However, the savings on maintenance and fuel can often offset these costs.

Also tires is a much bigger expense with EV ownership

#6779 10 months ago

Charging network provider EVgo just announced they are expanding their installation of NACS charger ports on their stations.

#6781 10 months ago
Quoted from DarthPaul:

I change my oil when my car tells me to, which is around 12,000 miles. Anyone who is using synthetic oil and is changing it every 3,000-5,000 miles is throwing their money away.

Too simplistic of a statement. Driving style should be considered.

1 week later
#6950 10 months ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Has thread ever touched on the loss of independence, autonomy & freedom of travel these cars are quickly ushering in?
Self driving will quickly turn into no driving & no steering wheels.
Which then devolves into driving on only certain days, time blocks & roads.
Then it’ll morph into significantly reduced driving or only going where it’s programmed to allow you to go…right into no driving especially if you’re deemed an undesirable.
The government hates the freedom traditional cars offer and uses the environment only as an excuse, as they’re the biggest polluters.
Has every freedom loving, former hippie lost their mind and intellectual core beliefs?
I know, I know, it’ll never be forced on us like that.
We never thought our daughters would be forced to share areas with grown ass naked men too.

Whoah. Step back from the keyboard.

#7065 10 months ago
Quoted from Ribs:

Tax by weight. Heavy vehicles do a disproportional amount of wear. The road stress ratio of truck to car is 10,000 to 1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_power_law

What about a 10,000lb truck that drives 100 miles a year? Versus a 6,000lb car that drives 50,000?

#7121 10 months ago

Local Chevy dealer says they'll have some Blazer EVs available to view in person soon!

At $60,000+ each, I'm sure.

#7128 10 months ago

For reference, what's the preferred accurate source of news these days?

I prefer the school bus. It's never failed me.

3 weeks later
#7882 9 months ago
Quoted from Garrett:

Agagin, as someone involved in the industry I would not buy an EV at this time.

Circular argument. The grid and infrastructure won't grow until it needs to grow. That only happens with more EV adoption. It's a chicken/egg situation.

Something else needs to spur action.

#8003 9 months ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I've been cleaning out my toolbox, I think I have stuff in there from decades and decades ago lol. I found this in there, does anyone even know what this is anymore? Hint: I'm pretty sure you don't need this tool for an EV.
[quoted image]

I could have used that tool last month as I was installing new parts into my 1967 Ford F250 and the parts arrived with incorrect measurements.

#8032 9 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Back from my suspension. Doesn't look like anyone missed me.

This isn't an airport.

#8267 9 months ago

What’s hilarious to me is all the folks that think the climate has been always the same as it is now.

That depends on your point of view.

*Woolly Mammoth enters the chat*

1 week later
#8628 8 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Just do the math . . .
- 74% of Americans commute to work every day
- The average commute is 41 miles round trip
If the study you posted is accurate and the average auto trip is 3 miles, do you understand just how many incredibly short trips a day the other 26% would need to make to bring the average down to that number (54 x 1-mile trips each day per person)? Both of these numbers cannot be true as they are not even close in correlating to one another.

I have kids. We live a mile from most "things" in town (grocery store, schools, shops, etc). I made a RIDICULOUS amount of "under 3 mile round-trip" trips a week. Like dozens of them. To/from sports, to/from activities, to/from friend's houses, to/from grocery store, to/from hardwar store, to/from meetings for various volunteer shit we do. So. Many. Short. Trips.

1 week later
#8747 8 months ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I'm confused by all these sudden desires to want to drive at a moments notice after running your car to the absolute brink of empty. On an average day, I drive about an hour a day. That car (currently a gas vehicle) is sitting, for me, 23 hours a day. Even if it were electric, in my scenario, I could go for multiple days without having to charge at all. Why do we suddenly have these scenarios locked and loaded saying that my car is empty at all times and I suddenly need to leave the house on an empty battery?
I understand this scenario, but I'm saying it would be so wildly rare that it would be moot for me. We have two cars. Just take the other one. Or... hell.... skip the middle man and hop on your horse. No more fuel concerns, be it gas or electric.
Oh WAIT. my horse is hungry and eating the moment I stubbed my toe. Looks like I'm gonna die.

This is GOLD

1 week later
#8799 8 months ago
Quoted from Fytr:

What's your much better plan for saving the planet then?

Please don't try to tell us that you're an early adopter of EV's because you believe it's better for the planet. Give us any other reason you like, but I'm not buying that one.

1 month later
#8973 6 months ago
Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

Once I can pull up and charge in about 5 minutes, and go 500 miles. Maybe then an EV makes sense.

You plan to tow a large travel trailer for 18 straight hours with only a single 5-minute stop? Where are you doing this? I want to stay as far away from that road as possible.

#8986 6 months ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Ever hear of team driving? Husband and wife? Maybe an older child too?
Maybe three or four buddies going hunting in the wilderness?
Growing up in Detroit, many of us piled into a car with two or three others and drove non-stop to Daytona Beach. Just stopped to get gas and junk food, usually we'd stop for a minute along the road and water the tires. Depending on how much beer was being consumed.

Oh yeah, good point. I forgot about team driving.

Yeah, 15K trailer going 1000 miles isn't a good fit yet with an EV. Wait a few more years I guess.

1 week later
#9002 6 months ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

No doubt.
For the .000000000001% of the population that drive 14K/day, EV's are a bad choice.

I get that. But how about that average speed? Over 600mph in a Murano? Nice.

2 weeks later
#9072 5 months ago
Quoted from tripplett:

Basically...yes. It costs more to retool an existing car to become an EV. Legacy auto is having to design new EVs from the ground up to manage costs. They also are realizing that 'farming out' the motors, battery, chargers, and other critical components to 3rd parties locks themselves into prices that they must re-negotiate or take a hit on margins to stay relevant. Vertical integration is the only way to manage all of this.[quoted image]

Which is what Tesla did 10-15 years ago. The big 3 are WAY behind now.

1 week later
#9097 5 months ago

Yeah, no way I'd consider a vehicle that has both an ICE and electric inside. That's just dumb. Why add MORE complexity and MORE parts to service?

I drive 9 miles to work every day. Less than 20 miles a day on average most days. Pretty much ANY EV will satisfy my needs.

3 weeks later
#9131 4 months ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Ev sales are in the toilet, dealers are getting backed up with 12 month surplus and with the announced losses by manufacturers not sure where they go from here.

ALL new cars sales are currently in the toilet.

4 weeks later
#9243 3 months ago
Quoted from MrBally:

There are still homes in remote areas with only 110/120 volt service. Good luck with the 1 mile range per hour of charging.

Considering I only drive about 18 miles a day and my vehicle is parked at home (and would be able to be charged) for at least 15 hours a day, even a 110v charger could almost get the job done. But I think it's widely understood here that most EV owners would want to run a 220v charger to their parking area.

1 month later
#9579 72 days ago
Quoted from bob_e:

A friinds house had the 220vac plug melt down because of improper wire termination.
Aluminum wire used in place of copper to save money!
And it was done by the home builders electrical contractor.!

This isn't surprising. There are terrible workers in every field. Just because you got the certification doesn't mean you're good at your job.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

I say this all the time! Thanks to EV owners for driving down demand--and ultimately, gas prices. Came out of the movie theater last month and saw every Tesla charging station taken up and five cars waiting to charge their car. I just don't understand why the hell people would do that to themselves. I'd rather pay the money for a tank of gas and be on my way. SMH...

I still fail to understand why these Tesla owners aren't leaving their homes fully charged every day. Like seriously, WTF. I don't drive around in my ICE vehicle with 5% tank level on the normal; why would it make any sense to drive around with a nearly depleted battery? Just nonsense.

#9618 69 days ago
Quoted from bob_e:

And all of the apartment complexes will they be putting in charging stations?

Reasonable people would take into account their lifestyle choices when selecting a vehicle.

I don't own a UTV. Could I afford one? Sure. But I have nowhere to store it. The property I live on doesn't have the proper storage for such a vehicle. I live in town, on a 1/2 acre lot and I only have a single small outbuilding that I park my riding lawn mower in. No place to properly keep a UTV.

So I don't buy one. Not now. Maybe later when my homestead situation is different.

Selecting an apartment and then complaining later because said apartment doesn't supply EV charging is sort of a backwards way to go about things. If you plan to purchase an EV, then you had better make sure your current life choices and living situation allow you to have it (and maintain it).

The market will dictate future construction. Today it's pretty common to see a 240v outlet in most laundry areas of a home, due to the fact that 240v electric dryers are so commonplace. Similarly, it's not uncommon to find a 240v receptacle in the kitchen area, near where a stove might be. Same concept. The market saw a need, and construction provided it. I expect the same type of progression with garage construction.

At some point, if the market dictates it, charging infrastructure will be incorporated into new construction more frequently. Until then, it's up to the potential buyer to be responsible about their choices.

#9630 68 days ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

...until they stop selling, which has already started happening. (My BMW dealer just told me they can't move them and have to have incentives to get them out the door.) When car rental companies start dumping their EVs, that's not a good look for the long term. I'm still a believer that EVs are the Betamax of cars.
EDIT: I don't think EVs are going to go away, nor will ICE cars. In the end they'll likely peacefully coexist like books and Kindles.

I wouldn't get too worried about rental companies' choices. Do rental companies maintain a fleet of Bugatti's? Of course not. They are always evaluating their "mix" of vehicles.

1 week later
#9691 61 days ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

For some reason we can't get F-150 Lightnings for our fleet. I don't understand this excess, no sales Lightning deal. I guess they didn't make enough in fleet white without double the cost upgrades?

This was a profitability choice by FoMoCo. Not as much money to be made in the Pro fleet model, so they purposefully limited production of those and shifted buyers towards the higher trims. I tried to order a Pro with extended range battery when my ordering window opened, and was informed I was not allowed to do this. I had to step up to the XLT with a $10,000 option package just to get the extended range battery. Lame.

#9703 58 days ago
Quoted from frisbez:

All good things come to an end.
Anybody have details on EV SUVs that can fit a pinball machine?
[quoted image]

Maverick Lightning, if you can get one. Wait times are long.

#9712 56 days ago
Quoted from HobbyGuy:

NYT had an article today about the massive deluge of Chinese cheap EVs about to flood our markets. 11K cheap, apparently.

With a 25% import tariff in place, no way that carmaker gets any traction in the US. We shall see what the next administration does.

3 weeks later
#9823 33 days ago
Quoted from michiganpinball:

I don't get this tire stat that has been reported lately. A Silverado 2500 weighs about 7000 pounds, A Rivian R1T weighs about 7150. I don't see this as a big deal. A Tesla model 3 with the big battery weighs 4034 and a BMW M3 weighs about 3900.

For short trips and in-town driving, it's the torque that chews up tires. The power band on an EV is so short that it's much harder on rubber than the gentle ease that an ICE provides.

That said, driving style has ALWAYS been the biggest variable factor on tire wear. It's quite possible for an aggressive driver in a powerful ICE vehicle to wear tires more quickly than a gentle driver in an EV.

1 week later
#9899 23 days ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Too bad they can't use 'em to deliver new vehicles they produce. Their EV Semi Tractors are basically being used for dedicated freight carrier service on a particular route.

For a purpose that matches the capabilities of the vehicle, it's perfect. Such is the answer for EVERY type of vehicle, EV's included.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smalltownguy2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread?tu=smalltownguy2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.