ford-charge-station-pro-install-with-1-conduit-this-time-v0-e1kcy3p1c3za1.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Image 4-21-24 at 1.05?PM (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 13-53-01 Who Wants a Loud Car (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 18-12-04 reddit (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 8.32.26?AM (resized).png
used (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scorch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#55 2 years ago

I'm a Tesla owner and I'm an engineer who works in upstream oil and gas.

First off... batteries are 99% recyclable, but there just aren't facilities made YET.... but as the need increases the facilities will be made so that's a non-issue.

Complaints about lithium mining is also ridiculous. Yes these do require mining and can create some big pits, but it is absolutely nothing compared to the mining that is done for other substances such as Coal or even common construction material like cement. Sorry, a 100 acre hole in the ground is not an environmental disaster.

In terms of the fact that most energy still is created from fossil fuels... yes, that is true, but the mix is constantly increasing to more renewables such as nuclear, solar and wind, and it will continue to do so. But the power plants have very strict emission standards and are very efficient in the conversion of hydrocarbons to electricity. Also the pollution that is caused by these plants is often away from city centers, reducing smog in big cities.

But here's the environmental bad about EV's. They are HEAVY... which means extra wear on roads/tires etc. There are losses throughout the electrical cycle including getting the electricity to the charging point, converting to DC and the actual charging of the battery, not to mention the electricity needed to heat the batteries on cold days, and the huge amount of electricity needed to heat/cool the cabin.

But in the end, I didn't buy my EV for the environment... I did it because I'm a car guy and it's a blast to drive. I test drove a model X when it first came out, and it was by far the best vehicle I had ever driven. Instant torque, quiet ride, never having to go to the gas pump etc etc etc. So last year a bit the bullet and bought a used one, and I plan to keep it for a long time.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scorch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread?tu=scorch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.