ford-charge-station-pro-install-with-1-conduit-this-time-v0-e1kcy3p1c3za1.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Image 4-21-24 at 1.05?PM (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 13-53-01 Who Wants a Loud Car (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 18-12-04 reddit (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 8.32.26?AM (resized).png
used (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rwmech5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 2 years ago

I've read the grid can't handle every household installing a charger for the EVs. The number is 4 stations per transformer. Infrastructure is needed.

6 months later
#3180 1 year ago

And probably Vegan

1 month later
#3738 1 year ago

All the ev owners should pull in and block the pumps at the gas station. That’ll show em.

1 week later
#3858 1 year ago

They don’t make sense for me yet. Someday I’m sure but the infrastructure isn’t ready for the timeline they’re pushing.

1 week later
#4088 1 year ago

The only “ICE” here is on the roads and all the ditched cars electric or not.

#4206 1 year ago

Not when it's -30, the wind is blowing 50 mph and you're in the ditch because a tow is 26 hours away. Pretty easy to have someone bring a jerry can and juice you up.

#4209 1 year ago

I like how folks who live in warmer climates think they have any idea what it's like up here. We go from +40 to -40 (104 to -40 F) in 3-4 months and our country is sparsely populated so the infrastructure is very expensive with not a lot of users.

1 month later
#4669 1 year ago

Switzerland preparing for limited power on their grid due to low temps. Might be an issue for some ev owners.

#4701 1 year ago
Quoted from LastCall420:

Lol, it’s not for my penis all though I need a big truck to haul it , mostly work Alberta mud, oil work sometimes just need the meats to get you through the trail to the job

Tech guys couldn't and will never understand.

#4740 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The copper thieves are going to shlt their overalls when they get blasted with -55*f coolant from the level lV chargers

Thieves don't care, we had a bunch of a/c condensers stolen from homes under construction a bit ago. They cut the 208 v and the 275 psi a/c lines with an axe. Must've made a hell of a bang.

1 week later
#4890 1 year ago

I guess we're "NoT ReaDy" yet. Tech needs to advance to function under all conditions. Rogan had an interesting guest on discussing the cobalt mines in the Congo, pretty disturbing when you see it live. I'll be calling my Milwaukee rep to chat about their sources for the raw materials. -30 here for the 6th straight day but warm winds are coming. Happy holidays everyone!

#4954 1 year ago

Tankless are only good if you have a 400 sq' cabin, ground water above 50 degrees, and 2 people using it. The claims they make are garbage, no way you get 5.5 gpm at 100 delta t. I've ripped out more of these than I've ever installed. Check out Rinnai's new concept, a tankless water heater strapped to a tank! Brilliant!

#4962 1 year ago

A btu is a btu. Energy required to raise 1 lb of water 1 degree farhenheit. Been doing boilers etc for 30+ years and these units are still 85% efficient at best. A 40 gal tank is rated at 36k btu and a tankless is 199k btu. You can't just restrict the gas flow and expect the same performance. There's also other factors such as ground water temp, hardness, altitude. etc et etc. Numbers don't lie. Tankless are crap.

#4965 1 year ago

I know you're a smart guy Vid but facts are facts. Example, took me 4 hours to replace a 3 way valve on a customer's Noritz because I had to completely dismantle the cpu, pump and heat exchanger to get to it. So a 7500 install plus a 1200 repair inside of 5 years, he could've replaced his tank 7 times for that cost, Bradford White has a 7 year warranty on their tanks so 50 years of service for that cost. If you're worried about floods put in a drain pan and a water sensor hooked up to a phone app. Standby losses on new tanks are 1 degree f per hour so you're not throwing $ away.

#4970 1 year ago

Look at the design, the exchanger is above the electrical components. I’ve had 20 of these leak and completely destroy the unit.

#5016 1 year ago

Those babies draw 75 amps each! I hope you don’t have to pick between charging your car or having hot water!

#5020 1 year ago

You obviously don't have teenagers in your house.

2 weeks later
#5189 1 year ago

That dude needs a severe talking to, by hand.

#5193 1 year ago

Oil and gas have brought us out of the dark ages. “Ending the planet”? Wow a little more drama for Monday please.

1 week later
#5235 1 year ago

We will need to expand the production amount of copper, zinc, cobalt and lithium by 5x in the next 10 years to make the targets set by govts in 2035. History shows we’ve never made 2x in that span.

#5243 1 year ago
Quoted from DCP:

Actually, fusion does not create electricity. Neither does coal, natural gas, or nuclear fission. They all create heat, which is then used to boil water and make steam, which spins turbines that generate the electricity.
So, anything that uses electricity from a power generating station is actually steam powered!
The Steam Era has not ended yet.

Because, you know,science.

#5286 1 year ago

Biggest issue I have is with the virtue signalling owners. Don't buy an ev figuring you're doing something for the planet. Once the production of the frame and the use of fossil fuels to produce the power to operate these units is figured in, the CO2 savings are negligible.

#5314 1 year ago

I'd pass on the crickets since us humans can't process chitin.

#5363 1 year ago

Been a lot of “conspiracy theories” come true in the last couple years.

#5393 1 year ago

Some of his posts are hysterical. Keeps this thread entertaining.

2 months later
#6215 1 year ago

"Are you sure about that???"

#6298 1 year ago

Waiting for the power to go out. Solar flare.

#6300 12 months ago

To close the thread , ibtl.

1 month later
#6913 10 months ago

Whaat??? You can't trust the CCP???

#6919 10 months ago

Being told hydrogen fired heating equipment is coming inside 2 years here. Going to be interesting to see what comes out.

1 week later
#7104 10 months ago

Let the free market decide what vehicles we choose to drive.

#7113 10 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Exactly!
The market decided, and all passenger car companies have switched to EV in the next ~8 years.

Governments need to stop subsidizing everything and let the private companies make it or fail. IF the ev market prevails so be it if not there will be better tech right around the corner. The masses will support what they will and talk with their wallets.

#7118 10 months ago

It's not going to matter anyways, AI will be here and ending us inside of 8 years. That's 21st century tech.

#7145 9 months ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

For reference, what's the preferred accurate source of news these days?

Yup, no public $ for any private companies, if they can’t compete buh bye.

#7146 9 months ago

And get rid of 1/2 the govt bureaucrats. Definition of useless pricks.

#7225 9 months ago

Fire up those mining rigs!

#7230 9 months ago

Ok, that’s a game changer. Driving Evs pass, flying evs I’m in!

#7234 9 months ago

Guess I won’t be flying the sister-in-law with us…,

#7325 9 months ago

Elon syndrome is real.

#7379 9 months ago

Not the 6.0 Denali ??????

#7381 9 months ago

Here you go ?

#7382 9 months ago

I can only afford the 2017 LT GFX edition. Murdered out, pretty sexy in all black .

#7383 9 months ago

Silvvvverrrraaaadddoooooo!!!!!!

1 week later
#7611 9 months ago

Everyone building a car is using the LS.

#7826 9 months ago

Pretty simple, you burn hydrogen, products of combustion are heat and water.

#7831 9 months ago

They’re already doing it at the refineries in Alberta. Our gas supplier is adding a bit to the nat gas that we all use to heat everything here.

#7948 9 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You know, if the planet just had it's hottest days EVER on record, don't do Anything.
At all.
It's somebody else's fault, not yours.
It's China, it's India, it's trans, it's big oil.
Never yourself.

Riiiggghht, hottest days ever! Because we’ve keeping records that long! Ree ree! Where’s the panic button?

#7961 9 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Fox said it was the hottest day ever recorded.
[quoted image]

Yup for as long as we’ve been keeping records. I think it was pretty warm when the asteroid hit. Earth has been around awhile.

#8013 9 months ago

Fords are the best vehicles for the planet. 100% efficient when they don’t start.

#8063 9 months ago

I’m getting extra insurance if my neighbour gets an ev.

1 week later
#8338 9 months ago

Maybe the climate debate would make more sense if the top people screaming about it would stop flying in private jets, owning 6 houses on the beaches that are supposedly going to be under water in the next 10 years and having a dozen ice cars. Hoping the eastern grid doesn't go down while it's still cooking there.

#8489 8 months ago
Quoted from MrBally:

If Elmo tweeted this (or is it now "X'd it"?), his unpaid army would be all aflutter.....

I’m so glad Elon loves Canada! Some epic tweets today.

#8515 8 months ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

The power goes out for 1-3 days at least once a year where I live, sometimes longer. That could be a serious problem for some EV owners

There’s no discussion of the fragility of the grid here!

1 week later
#8659 8 months ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

I'd rather go to a gas station, absolutely not out of the way, I pass at least 6 each way going to and from work that require turning directly into them from the street I'm already on, once a week for 2 minutes than have to wait 12 hours every night while it drips full. The lack of a wait is the benefit.

Is one of them a Bucees? Worth driving an ice just to gas up there.

1 week later
#8774 8 months ago

Curious what construction cost would be between this and icf blocks.

3 months later
#9130 4 months ago

Ev sales are in the toilet, dealers are getting backed up with 12 month surplus and with the announced losses by manufacturers not sure where they go from here.

#9133 4 months ago

At least GM makes 10-15k for every truck sold not losing 30k+ for every ev plus the 17$/gal equivalent charging rates.

#9139 4 months ago

Well let's take a look at the ev bus fiasco in Edmonton. 60 million and a fleet full of junk and 200k in battery warmers to keep them going. 117 km range. Pathetic. Evs don't work in colder climates.

#9140 4 months ago

Ev inventory up 506% from a year ago as of Nov 14 according to CarGurus October report. They aren't selling.

#9149 4 months ago

Norway is a piss poor comparison because it's entire size is 385 sq km. Wall street journal story has 4000 auto dealers sending a letter to the potato in charge to slow ev production. Ford loses 36k on every one sold. This whole ev push is another scam by climate crazies. It will end at some point.

1 week later
#9190 4 months ago

Ford announced Lightning production will be cut in 1/2 from projections due to low demand. People who drank the kool-aid have already purchased their planet saver and everyone else doesn't want an overpriced vehicle that costs 30,000 plus to repair. Insurance rates for these evs are skyrocketing as well due to even minor collisions causing write offs as 1 damaged lithium cell can set the whole car ablaze and repair shops have to have special storage and qualifications to work on them.

#9201 4 months ago

Not a good week to own an ev in Maine

#9203 4 months ago

Just found 50+ for sale online, maybe they can't agree on pricing? Listing at 62k average

#9210 3 months ago

Nova Scotia is looking at 3 days of outages due to storms. Not sure I'd want an ev with this and potential flooding causing unstoppable fires.

#9217 3 months ago

You don’t have 5 extra Gerry cans of fuel and a back up gas fired generator? You’re not much of a prepper.

#9218 3 months ago

History will repeat itself just like the 1930s when all the electric car makers closed up. 12 upstart ev makers will be out of cash by Q1 of 2024. Evs sitting on lots everywhere, makers backing off production and telling the govt to stop the mandates. Germany pulled all subsidies. Not looking good for the ev market unless you want to buy one because the prices are going to tank.

#9224 3 months ago

No anger, just facts. Evs will go the way of the dodo. Tesla had to cut prices 3 times on one quarter just to sell them. Toyota is the biggest car seller in the world and is changing direction. Just another fad that’s going to fade.

#9225 3 months ago

Another fun fact, there are 180,000 charging stations in the US now and to get to their own projections of number of Evs on the road to support they need 1.2-1.5 million stations by 2030 so that’s 430+ chargers that will need to be installed everyday until then. Good luck with that.

#9226 3 months ago

I thought Vid hated Elon? Now he’s touting his cars performances?

#9232 3 months ago

Info from US dept of transport and their own projection reports.

1 week later
#9281 3 months ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

Make sure you fix those recalls folks.
Very scary that a car catches fire in the garage.
https://x.com/southmetropio/status/1745201191854702609?s=46&t=z1w0zDMHkEGzoZbGTvXFjw

Took out 2 of them, and those blanket wraps to haul them away only cost 3000 each.

#9288 3 months ago

Looks like Hertz hates Evs too. Dumping 20k of them for a loss of 250 million.

#9290 3 months ago

Going out for public service today, our grid is under stress due to the frigid temps. Going around to the super chargers and unplugging all the evs I find.

#9292 3 months ago

At least Sask power kicked in with some good old coal and natural gas produced extra power for us.

#9299 3 months ago

What are accurate news sources that I should be looking at? I realize there’s a ton of bullshit out there and like to hear a variety of opinions to make the best conclusions possible. Thanks

2 weeks later
#9459 82 days ago

Money talks and Ford lost 4.5 bil last year, most of it due to low ev sales. Cutting an entire shift for the lightning is not looking good.

#9477 79 days ago

Rivian’s stock was at $128 in Oct 2021 today it’s $16. They’re losing 30k/sale now when their suv is selling at 85k. If the govt stops the subsidies and Tesla keeps cutting prices and kills the secondary market, what’s the likely outcome?

#9518 75 days ago

Reeks of desperation in the UK, "Office for Zero Emission Vehicles" put out a report stating comparable upper level sedans have dropped to a 40% price gap from EV to ICE models and to purchase used as the bottom falls out of the market. On top of that the Govt is blaming Mr Bean for slowing sales of EVs. He has an engineering degree and posted some info of some of the challenges of EV ownership. Too funny, this just keeps getting better.

#9525 75 days ago

Um you’re wrong, if all the subsidies that are propping up the ev market are pulled the sheer cost will collapse the entire industry. Tesla is laying off 1000 workers and they were the only company hiring in the last year. The enormous dollars being lost will catch up eventually. Evs are for elites and there are only so many of those that can afford them

#9533 74 days ago

A reporter from Toronto showed a quote for installation of a level 2 charger for his residence at 16000 on top of the car price. That’s a vehicle for most of us plebs.

#9546 74 days ago

Not when you add up the wire $1500, charger $1500-2000 and upgrading the service and panel $10000 to $15000.

#9547 74 days ago

Don't forget about the constant 32 Amps your level 2 charger draws to keep your car going. Equivalent to running a dryer for as long as it is drawing power. Electricians I work with are saying electric bills are 7-800 per month whereas normally they are in the 3-400 range.

#9554 73 days ago

Are you insured if your self installed unlicensed outlet burns down your house? Or maybe your ev goes into thermal meltdown and does the job for you like the Jaguar in Denver?

#9555 73 days ago

Or the buses in London?

#9564 72 days ago

Insurance companies here want to see the city permits and work completed by licensed contractors. Natural gas work is even more strict.

#9565 72 days ago

My biggest issue is the mandates that no ice will be able to be sold after 2035. Let the market decide FREELY what people want, no subsidies and don’t tell me what I’m going to drive. Subsidies to oil and gas are not the same as the propping up of evs right now.

#9578 71 days ago

News flash the climate changes and has since the beginning. When CO2 makes up .04% of the atmosphere and at .02% all plant life dies, our effect is minimal. The Nordstream pipeline that got “blown” up released more methane than we have produced in a century.

#9604 69 days ago

Standard is 100 amp service here, more is a significant cost upgrade. Older homes with overhead wiring is even more.

#9672 65 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:I'll take a down-to-earth, hardworking, high school diploma tradesman as a neighbor any day over some "intelligent" "higher caliber" pretentious dweeb.

I’m your huckleberry

1 week later
#9709 55 days ago

International Scout, had a back seat like a limo.

#9729 51 days ago

Financial reports are showing the only 2 manufacturers making money are Tesla and BYD. Rivian was at 153 Billion in 2021 now is 5.5. Over 500 start-ups in China 2 years ago, now under 90 and dropping. If trends continue there will be 4-5 companies making evs in a few years.

#9737 50 days ago

Maybe they're trying to prevent the 50% loss in value in the first 3 years we're seeing?

#9763 47 days ago

That’s great, I’ll be able to get a Porsche golf cart for 5k pretty soon. Yeah boiiii!!!

1 week later
#9800 34 days ago

Hertz CEO steps down after ev selloff issue. 400 days plus of inventory on dealer lots of ev inventory. Price war continuing due to lack of sales. Going to be interesting to see what unfolds in the ev market by the end of Q2.

#9814 33 days ago

The new developments in AI could be a game changer. Sora and Chat GPT5 are just the start. Advancements in robotics are next level. I believe AI will pass us by 2030 and there will be superior energy sources to lithium,cobalt and nickel batteries.

#9817 33 days ago

I hope nobody here has Rivian stock from 2022. Ouch

1 week later
#9918 20 days ago

More economic bad news for ev manufacturers for Q1. Tesla down 33% and had their first production reduction since 2020. Rivian is on life support as it lost 5.5 billion last year. BYD will not be allowed to sell in the US and their domestic market is shrinking.

1 week later
#10010 10 days ago

Boosting a car is hard? Hahahaha

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rwmech5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread?tu=rwmech5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.