• Neutral 95 votes
    19%
  • *I actually like EVs* 269 votes
    55%

(488 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 8.10.29?AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-17-22 Ford targets Tesla owners with $1 500 EV 'conquest' rebates (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-19-38 Family Own A Tesla Get $1 500 Off A Ford Mustang Mach-E Carscoops (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 11-54-36 Best Solar Generator for Home Backup Power EcoFlow US (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 09-48-53 EcoFlow DELTA Pro 2 × 220W Solar Panel DELTA Pro Extra Battery D - (Members-only) DELTA Pro 2
248edf2c-1a41-4790-a83f-64f0bd20ad95 (resized).png
f285d5d3-ceec-4b7f-a741-0770ba2431ef (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240409_134107.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
200w.gif
2023.10-volvo-ex30-barcelona-global-first-drive-event-KYLE-22-scaled-1-800x445 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240406_000711.jpg
Image 4-5-24 at 9.41?PM (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#120 2 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Just look at air quality changes during the first covid lockdowns which effectively took all gas powered vehicles of all types off the roads. The air quality improvement in cities world wide was huge! There's some really dramatic differences in places like India where they don't have as strict tail pipe emission controls as we do here, but even in other cities world wide the difference was amazing. We had record high air quality in LA during that time as well.

I don't see your link but I'm not sure I would trust such an article written in "Motor City" who's lively hood depends on building gas engines. Regardless this also has been debunked quite a bit and it's been shown in many comparisons that an electric car is cheaper to own and operate than a gas car. I spreadsheet everything and I charted all costs and expenses of my last gas car a 2018 Camaro ZL1 and my 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance both over three years. Not exactly an equal comparison as the Model 3 blows it away in basically every metric (performance, utility, fun, etc) but regardless it was around ~$8600 more over three years to operate the Camaro.
Now I know anytime I mention something like this someone will say "Yeah but my 1976 Trabant will be far cheaper" and sure it will be but that's not an equivalent comparison.

Loved it when William Jeanes named the Trabant the Best car in their Ten Best issue many years ago.

#205 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Bob_e you’re an absolute legend. Nobody can put solid math and wacky hypotheticals and bundle it all up like with unnecessary SHOUTY CAPS and asterisk bars like you.

This was pioneered by "The Oracle of Madison Wisconsin"

#304 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

I gotta say the only thing I really actually HATE about EVs or even just new cars is:
WHY ARE THEY PUTTING FLAT PANEL SCREEN BASED CONTROLS WHERE I NEED TACTILE CONTROLS THAT I DONT HAVE TO LOOK AT?!?!
It's awful. Literally awful. No I don't want to have games on a massive 18" screen playing while I'm driving.
No I don't want to have to tilt my head each time to change the temperature or a song.
Get this fucking horrendously disgusting and distracting TECH-BRO-TRUCK-TESTICLES shit off my multi-thousand pound death machine.
I have to keep me and my family and my passengers safe and it's just a big giant WHY PAD in my field of view!

You will like the Audi e-tron.....

#305 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Saying in the car industry, so goes California so goes the rest of the nation. California is or was the number one state for car sales. Everything pretty much gets made to California spec as it costs to much to have separate specs built.

Give me the days gone by when the "California Emissions Package" added $75.00 to the price of a car.

#312 2 years ago

Everyone that has index stocks is a Tesla stock holder, but hey if answering questions or trying to correct posts that seem in error makes me a salesman then no biggie, I'll go elsewhere.

I have no index stock funds.

#315 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

I remember years ago seeing an episode of NOVA about hydrogen. One part of the episode showe ICE engine buses in Rio de Janeiro running on hydrogen, so this is nothing new. It seemed like it was working well, but there was some issues with the engines pinging sometimes.

New Jersey Transit started running them in the mid to late '90's. I had to gather test data from them at the Washington twp., Howell, Elizabeth and Atlantic City terminals.
The three fiberglass tanks/bombs underneath were interesting.

#317 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I wasn’t around in the late 70s pinball scene, but I wonder if there was this backlash when solid state games started to take over?

The players loved them. There was no home market to speak of. Large bowling alley owners got a machine placed in their homes by the route operators.
The old em's were pulled and then sold to homes starting up the home market. Bally soon developed their home model SS machines to cash in on this...

#336 2 years ago
Quoted from oldbaby:

I would be curious as to why, if you don't mind sharing.

I choose to only invest in individual stocks at this time in businesses I am familiar with. Also cash.

#338 2 years ago

We don't keep any cash but I'm the same in that I don't have any index stocks either. About 2.5 years ago I looked deep into Tesla as a company, their products, their financials, their future, etc. To me they seemed like they would be a 1 to 2 trillion dollar company by 2030 (my benchmark as that's when I can "officially" retire) without self driving which I ignored as I have no clue have to value it. But they had many angles from automotive, AI, robotics, manufacturing, energy collection, energy storage, energy sale and arbitrage, transportation, software, app stores and entertainment, and on and on, they effectively seemed like an index stock to me as they cover so many industries.
Back then there were many legacy industries, news channels, short sellers, all sorts of various groups actively trying to kill off this American success story and that palpable fear along with the info above helped cement in my mind both that this was a buy and also had fortunately kept their stock artificially at a really low level keeping them at the time around 80 million or so valuation. To me this was the deal of the century so I sold all my S&P 500 index stock, dumped it into Tesla and never looked back. I'll sell it when I'm 59.5 years old right around 2030.

Tesla stock has been very good to me. Paid for my move out West, new home
and more. Trading it several times really helped.

#400 2 years ago

I've been trying to stay out of this thread but wanted to mention something that happened to me aboot five years ago when I lived in the Detroit area on a cold Winter day.
The heater blower motor failed in my antiquated, soon to be obsolete, ICE Audi A8. I ordered the replacement to pick up at a dealer (antiquated business model) the next day. The car, a 2004, has heated seats all around and a heated steering wheel.
I drove the car to work anyway thinking the heated seats & wheel would be good. It was cold out, single digits. I froze my , well, everything except my ass, back and hands. Cold air stagnating in the cabin sucked. Then the windows , except the rear, (which has a defogger element) started to ice up on the inside.

#450 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Sorry as a vet owner I can tell you NO vet can keep up with the Plaid! Mine is hopped up and 0-60 in like 2.8, but I can't even come close the the Tesla rocket!

Until the 'vette pulls away with a higher top speed. Or the next 'vette with a hybrid powertrain that might beat the Plaid 0-60 & 1/4 mile....

I'll still take my antiquated, soon to be obsolete nineteen year old Audi that will pull away from all current Plaids....

#460 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Right, either way that's not good. Still, Tesla designed the car to stop in the middle of the freeway which is very dangerous. I can easily see litigation over something like that if nasty accident. One could always argue that there should of been safer alternatives.

Having sat on a Product Liability Jury, I can hear an Attorney say something like "so, you intentionally designed/developed/approved a system with a defect that can stop a vehicle in a traffic lane on highways"?

#461 2 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

I personally can't drive a car without a manual transmission in it. Therefore, there's no EV for me. And no, fake manuals don't count.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah thats a big one for sure.

FB_IMG_1646414369622 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1646414369622 (resized).jpg
#590 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Yeah, becuase the government is great at running things .....

NHTSA is good at automotive safety and safety systems. 20-25 years ago, all we heard about were killer trucks, killer trucks. We don't hear about that anymore. You can thank antilock brake systems (mandated in '97 for tractors, '98 for trailers), stability control systems for trucks, busses and tractors and roll stability support systems for trailers. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards save lives...

#592 2 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

The only thought 99% of techbros have is "wow, I could make a tonne of money if we made an app to get around all these longstanding health + safety regulations!" LOL
like, ok dude, go back to cuddling your NFTs.

One way is to produce in Mexico. Heck, North America's largest Semi-Trailer manufacturer has plants in Tijuana and Rosarito. They galvanize trailer frames and Landing Gear assemblies basically out in the open. They could never do that North of the border.

#612 2 years ago

Is it some sort of inside joke or attempt at a put down by constantly call it Tezla
please enlighten me

I'm guessing a spelling error. Like the ones here calling Braking "Breaking".

#613 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

And you’re not getting any new in demand cars below MSRP in this current market.

With auto company and auto company supplier discounts some of us sure are.

#632 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I’m confused about the point here. At least Bob_e makes a very clear point that he hates Tezlas

Yes he does. He is correctly posting in this "I hate EV's" thread that you started.

#635 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Then you’ll get the 16 dickheads in Orlando (insert any other city for convo sake) with EVs that’ll lecture every single person they make eye contact with about how they’re making a difference.

How can you tell someone drives a Tesla or is a Vegan? Don't worry, they'll fcukin' tell you......

#676 2 years ago

Oh goody, stupid people can drive like idiots in a $50K EV!

I think that one [Model S] cost at least $100K. Maybe it had the FSF (Full Self Flying) option.

Elon said don't rule out a battery powered airplane someday. Can you imagine how many could have been killed by the idiot driving that Tesla?

I wonder if Tesla's own insurance company will cover the liability and replacement cost of the totalled car. Fortunately, the battery pack didn't catch fire and take out property.....

#677 2 years ago

There are several videos with different angles of this event on Facebook. Of course most pinsiders will say they don't have Facebook etc. So, just go to YouTube and search "Flying Tesla" for most of them. Fox11 LA has a nice story and combined some of the videos.

1 week later
#706 2 years ago

I have seen some old classics turned into very cool EV's

Nothing like a VW Thing converted to an EV. It always had a Frunk. Like most VW's before 1975. Now it's larger with the gas tank removed.

20211104_113532 (resized).jpg20211104_113532 (resized).jpg20211104_113546 (resized).jpg20211104_113546 (resized).jpg20211104_113555 (resized).jpg20211104_113555 (resized).jpg20211104_113620 (resized).jpg20211104_113620 (resized).jpg20211104_113629 (resized).jpg20211104_113629 (resized).jpg20211104_113605 (resized).jpg20211104_113605 (resized).jpg

#707 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

[quoted image]

Since Tezlas (spelled as the great Elon pronounces the name) never break or wear out or go out of style, the 2020 models will still be on the road in the 2080's. None in barns.

#712 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

The VW Thing is pretty cool, great idea.
It is also possible to go the other way round if that's your thing.

I see what you did there....

#725 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

It wouldn't surprise me if, and I get this wouldn't be very popular, regulators started looking at mandating fire suppression systems in garages. Ones capable of suppressing a Li battery fire. Yes it would be expensive and because of that alone I'm probably simply nuts with this thought but yeah....
I was so concerned about this with my Tesla that every 6 months I'd shut off the breaker to my Tesla High Power Wall Connector and checked the tightness of every lug in the circuit from the breaker on down. From time to time I'd find one that wasn't as tight as it should be... That can cause resistance which equals heat which equals fire which equals bad...
Jeff

New homes in Las Vegas and Henderson are required to have fire suppression sprinklers.

#762 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

A fleet of Electric cars lined up and ready to go
[quoted image]

At least with those, fleets can buy service parts from the manufacturer. Ample stocks are warehoused globally.

#784 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Turned on the tv tonight and caught a review of the new e-hummer on local cbs news.
[quoted image]
At the end they showed this shot of it getting charged. The announcer’s last words were “never again to guzzle gas”.
[quoted image]
Then the shot panned back for a few seconds before it ended, and….
[quoted image]

The EV "industry" can't buy better advertising than that!

1 week later
#811 1 year ago

Up to 1,000 mile range
Recharge via Solar up to 40 miles a day
Starts at $26,000
https://aptera.us/[quoted image]

Will a new Stern pinball machine fit inside?

1 month later
#1284 1 year ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

So it sounds like you have some kind of hatred of the Glass City?
Not me. I could eat a Tony Packos MOAD right about now!!

Love their Hungarian dogs, Chicken Paprikash and especially the hot roast beef sandwiches. Almost as good as Red Wells, which closed their last location almost seven years ago.....

#1312 1 year ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Throw it in the garbage in a couple of years, when you can't get a battery for it anymore.

Take your old battery packs to a Batteries ➕️ Bulbs store. They will rebuild with new cells, usually better, higher capacity ones for about 60% of the cost of a new pack.

#1424 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Don’t want to spend 20 min. Summary?
My input on long road trips and EVs: it’s gonna take 20% longer than a gas car. If time is of the essence, fly instead.

Depending on what we are taking in our travels, flying is not always an option.....

1 week later
#1644 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Ok well lets ask you then... name one single thing that can be done to affect gas prices from a legislative or executive position[quoted image]

Would reopening the Keystone Pipeline project help?

#1660 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

EVs may have an advantage when it comes to changing spark plugs
[quoted image]

Do you gap those using a 2x4 as a feeler gauge?

#1665 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I hear you. I'm of mixed mind here. The shorter legs were easier to take mentally, as I was looking forward to a stop every couple hrs at most.
The actual charge time was pretty good - under 30 mins in for all EA stations - but there was additional "overhead."
What's overhead?
- Time to plug, unplug, charger to initialize etc
- Time changing from a bad pump to a good one
- Time waiting in line for my turn at a pump (which only happened once)
I recorded my stop/start times carefully so I could measure the indicated charge time on the pumps separate from the overall time lost.
You're not wrong that gas is more efficient here, which isn't really my point.
Just sharing actual hard data and real world experience here.
Make your own conclusions on what's acceptable to you.
It's worth noting I drove 1800 miles and only paid $17.30 (the first charge stop on Francis Energy.)
EDIT: Added the total driving time extracted directly from the car, which is all inclusive.[quoted image]

Thank you for sharing the details of your trip out. Sixteen stops for fuel is too much for me. But you are in an awesome vehicle. When my son & I did a 7000 mile trip over two weeks, I recall we had fourteen stops. Gas was ridiculous averaging $4.00/gallon with California at $5.19, IIRC I it was in 2014. Yes over $1200 for fuel but it was pretty sweet in an A8L. We took it on the salt at Bonneville and hit 172 as well. Yes, that's salt, not snow caked in the wheel well on those new Michelins rated for that speed.

Again, that's a sweet vehicle you have and if a long trip was only a once every few years thing, I'd consider an EV. But I made four Vegas-Reno runs in the past year and two Detroit-Reno runs in 2020.

Screenshot_20220207-103813_Gmail (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220207-103813_Gmail (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220207-103821_Gmail (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220207-103821_Gmail (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220207-103803_Gmail (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220207-103803_Gmail (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2023 1 year ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Hey we have that all settled as we call the answer Nevada! Yes people just visit it but nobody really wants to live there.

Wrong, I want to live there and now do.

#2024 1 year ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Hey we have that all settled as we call the answer Nevada! Yes people just visit it but nobody really wants to live there.

Wrong, I want to live there and now do.

Quoted from zaphX:

Can we just drive them because we like them better, though?

Yes, yes you and I can.

#2028 1 year ago
Quoted from frisbez:

You realize that if there's no power that gas stations won't be able to pump gas right?

Most decent size gas stations have back up generators for their coolers and the fuel pump motors. I used to live near Detroit with frequent power outages due to severe storms as well as ice storms. Fuel was never a problem for my vehicles or home backup generator....

#2170 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

ICE engines are like a Rube Goldberg to me. So many moving parts and things that work in concert. It's amazing they work at all, honestly.

And they have served us well for aboot 100 years. Took our mothers to the hospital to get us delivered into the world. Our kids as well.....

2 weeks later
#2435 1 year ago
Quoted from Dawson:

6. environment . I can drive it inside and not poison miter 10 up with diesel

What does this even mean?

#2436 1 year ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Surely there less servicing. But things like brakes, tires, suspension, 12 volt battery, still need attention.

Don't forget HVAC system, interior hardware, user interfaces, door hardware, body & trim etc.

Maybe they can send an OTA update to fix the steering wheel or a snapped Trailering Arm?

Screenshot_20220729-223331_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220729-223331_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
#2437 1 year ago

Now that's an EV. Beautiful and built with pride, like the Taycan.

#2438 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Tires and wipers pretty much are all most people deal with. Brakes wear far less due to regen braking. 12v lasts a long time. Suspension is like a 7+yr item.
The biggest woes are repairs if you get into an accident

With AGM "12 volt" vehicle batteries, most are lasting 8+ years these days except in really hot climates as heat kills those type of batteries.

In most, but not all geographical areas, Tesla has poor service. Long waits for appointments and parts availability. Their "Road Rangers" can no longer handle things most of the time since there are now too many vehicles in the wild.

When traditional, antiquated, soon to be extinct automakers entered a market, they first set up fully trained, stocked service departments and Parts Distribution Networks before selling the first vehicle.
They wanted satisfied customers. The still take phone calls for service appointments or allow "drive-in" or "tow-in" service.

#2443 1 year ago
Quoted from Dawson:

miter 10 is like your home dopey , but we drive into a warehouse to pick up our lumber and goods.. lots of guys leave there rigs running , and its so gross to smell the toxic tail pipe .
there are a lot of diesels here .

teslaQ ahe? short sellers eating their lunch ahe. [quoted image][quoted image]

"miter 10 is like your home dopey".

" teslaQ ahe? short sellers eating their lunch ahe"

Could you explain or rephrase those two items on a different level? Maybe for college educated individuals and at a 5th grade education level?

Also, by user interface I mean the whole vehicle. Door handles (exterior and interior), steering wheel/yoke buttons, dials and levers. Window controls as well as mirror adjustment controls. Also the touchscreen.

Thanks.

1 month later
#3399 1 year ago

yeah, because mustang, Camaro and corvette owners never do

Quoted from DiabloRush:

Sure, happy to go through the math with you. I’ll use your figure of 45 minutes to full charge.
1) Arrive at supercharger.
2) You find 4 people waiting in front of you (this was the point of my comment, see the quote “once EVs have more market penetration, you'll be waiting to get at that charger, too. Once most folks find they have anywhere from a 45 minute to 4 hour wait”)
3) Now for the complicated math part. I’ll try to keep it as simple as possible. 5x45 minutes = 225 minutes = 3.75 hours.
There you go! Happy to help!

Quite often, I drive by the Tesla Supercharging station on the South end of The Strip (aboot a mile South of The PHoF) at the Town Center shopping center. Usually, in the late afternoon, all eight bays are occupied. In this pic from September 6th, there were four happy Tesla owners in the que.....
20220906_170151 (resized).jpg20220906_170151 (resized).jpg

#3448 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Exactly.
It looks like the dealer (assuming that invoice is real), tried to find the most expensive aftermarket battery in the world.
Because, real Chevy batteries appear to be a lot cheaper[quoted image]

J.C. Whitney (fits most cars[not yours]) has them and so does Rock Auto (Dorman junk) for even lower prices.

#3463 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

-
They got all the way to the Moon...
-
[quoted image]

Brought to you by Rockwell International. I love my monthly pension check from there.

#3496 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yep. They are well made and last forever. Just completely soulless.

Drove my late Mother's 2006 Camry (with 13,000 miles on the clock) from Detroit to San Diego to give to my sister last year. It now has 29,000 miles. Souless, even across the Rockies on I-70. But it's been dependable.
I did put new tires on it for the trip. Figured fifteen years might be pushing my luck.

20210105_043656 (resized).jpg20210105_043656 (resized).jpg20210105_145254 (resized).jpg20210105_145254 (resized).jpg20210108_070154 (resized).jpg20210108_070154 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#3880 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:Worse than the Beetle

Two of them in the Williams/WMS parking lot in Chicago. One of them was mine....
20161013_140720 (resized).jpg20161013_140720 (resized).jpg

#3900 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

What are you talking about???
Take your drone out, and look at the south facing roofs in your neighborhood.
All the cool kids are living directly under their solar panels.
Could not be any closer.
[quoted image]

Guess only about 25% of the kids are cool by me. And we have sunshine at least 300 days per year.
At least two of these homes have pool water solar, not electric.

Screenshot_20221022-114425_Maps (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221022-114425_Maps (resized).jpg
#3902 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

In many parts of America (Texas for example) the math doesn't work.
It's far cheaper to pay your electric bill for the rest of your life than to do solar.

You are spot on. The numbers made no sense for me. Now, if rates triple [from $0.105/KWh] I may look at it again.

#3906 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

10 cents, lol we are 4x that and beyond. I gotta get out of this place and move to LV.

Plus the -0- State income tax deal. I got away from Michigan's 4.25% rate. Yours is over double.....

#3932 1 year ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

But the Tesla PowerWall is killing me right now with their pricing.

If you have natural gas at your home, why not get a backup generator connected to that?

I've yet to have power blink since I moved to Vegas and we have high (30-50 mph) winds for 12-20 hours at a time at least once a month. I brought a gasoline powered unit that supplies 50 amps @240 volts so I can run most of the house if needed. Only one A/C unit though.

#3950 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Would it be wrong, if we are discussing all of the above, to require that nuclear plants built and run by private companies should be entirely funded by the private industry as well, including the cost of insurance?
Not against them as part of the equation, but it seems like that cost alone is why private companies don't build them.

Do you consider "publicly traded" utility companies private or public?

1 week later
#4087 1 year ago

Awesome when a superior Tesla "ICE's" an EV charging space. In case you can't search the Meta data, location is St. Rose Dominican Hospital parking structure in Henderson, Nevada.
The Toyota is plugged in.

20221102_153346 (resized).jpg20221102_153346 (resized).jpg
#4114 1 year ago

The Station Casinos in the LV area have Charge Point chargers. App required but electricity is priced at $0.00/Kwh. A great deal.
MrsBally took her etron there yesterday. The free charge only cost four hundred bucks....

#4118 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The Indian casino north of me in OK has chargers out front

And possibly a Tesla dealership/delivery center and service shop....

#4156 1 year ago
Quoted from No_Skill:

Easy solution. Like I said before, EV assist trailers with their own motors and batteries. Hell, I'd even be intrested in that to help my Denali guzzle less gas.

Excellent thought. Electric Semi-trailer
Axles have been offered for a couple of years. To date, fleets have expressed little interest due to payload reductions and payback figures when coupled with charging costs.

#4182 1 year ago
Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

I just spent a full day at SEMA. Seems that the majority of the show vehicles were 4X4’s (60%), drifters (20%), EV conversions in every imaginable type vehicle (10%), and classics (10%). It’s a far cry from our first SEMA show 20 years ago when hot rods ruled.
I have both a hot rod and a hybrid and am happy with both!

Had to pass on SEMA this year as I just had a knee replaced last week. Spent two full days there last year and liked the Mustang, Jeep and VW EV conversions.

A old pinball repair co-worker is in sales at Hillbank and was in town as always. They typically sell several Shelby Cobras and Ford GT remakes at every show Still selling with or ready for the buyer's own crate ICE.

#4195 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Had to pass on SEMA this year as I just had a knee replaced last week. Spent two full days there last year and liked the Mustang, Jeep and VW EV conversions.
A old pinball repair co-worker is in sales at Hillbank and was in town as always. They typically sell several Shelby Cobras and Ford GT remakes at every show Still selling with or ready for the buyer's own crate ICE.

Speaking of EV's and SEMA:

https://fb.watch/gDPU2wYvAZ/

1 week later
#4380 1 year ago

EV's are the future.... but We aRe Not reAdY.........
I like them as cars .... but You cAn't roAd TrIp
99% of my driving is around town ..... bUt yUo onLy haVe a 300 MilE RAnge
it requires almost no maintenance ... but hOw wILl you cLEan yOUr winDows
I love how they drive ..... BUt nO COol LoOK AT mE EXhausT Sound
You can charge to a full tank at home every night .... but You cAn't roAd TrIp
You can warm the car up in your closed garage ...... but
You can cool your car in your closed garage ... but
They are faster then ICE ...... but

Looks like the VW id4 is inadequate for a road trip. Requiring a tow to charge the battery seems unacceptable.

https://electrek.co/2022/11/14/mainstream-ev-range/amp/

#4382 1 year ago
Quoted from PlanetExpress:

I have an ID.4 and live in CBus. Thanks for sharing this article, as I hadn’t realized how awful my situation was. It seemed like I just drove it to work and charged it at home, then charged it as needed when doing a road trip. My commute is only 9 miles, so just a single hotel should be sufficient to cover all the times I’m left stranded.

Good to know. Do you agree that with 80% charge at home, stuff on the roof in the temperatures mentioned, could you make it to the Glass City or would you have to stop in Findlay and hope to find a usable charger?
Do you agree that not even making it to Toledo (80% charge) is unacceptable? Especially when a hotel night was added and a flatbed tow was required?

Note that I've been a continuous VW/Audi owner for 45 years.

#4389 1 year ago

no clue, but I really want to check out one of these when available [quoted image]

Hoping for a Fast Times at Ridgemont High sequel with an ID buzz as the new Spicoli van....

#4416 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

While you are filling your tank next week with $5 a gallon gas, remember Big Oil just made it's highest profit ever last quarter.
In the 3rd quarter, Exxon made a record breaking 23 Billion while forcing inflation to a 40 year high
Enjoy.

I enjoy XOM stock. Bought some at $74-77. Even with the record share price, the divident yield in a little over 3% as gravy.

2 weeks later
#4555 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

All those YT videos are just manufactured drama.
You can buy re manufactured batteries, brand new batteries, salvage batteries
Remember the fake news story that the replacement 2011 Chevy Volt battery was $29,999? That's more than the car is worth!!!! [gasp]
It played on endless rotation through the national news, and then dealers pointed out that the genuine battery was $6,500 and had a one week delivery time.

Most major component with replacement labor costs are well beyond what a car is worth.

Six year old example, my son threw a rod on his 2003 Audi. It also smashed into the AWD transfer case.
Williams Audi in East Lansing quote:
Short block: $7,500
Transfer case: $1,500
Labor: $2,500
So$11,500 to properly repair.

Car was worth maybe $6k if running well. Which it was, until the connecting rod snapped. We repaired it ourselves with a used block and transfer case. But we installed new, forged connecting rods. Parts total was $3,500, our labor was valued at -zero-.

Screenshot_20221203-105524_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221203-105524_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
#4580 1 year ago

I can't wait to see Tesla tractors pulling Cottrell car haulers loaded with new Tesla vehicles.

Since there's no factory installed options for the various manufacturers' PTO's on the Tesla electric drive motors; how will a hydraulic pump get energy to operate the 10+ hydraulic circuits on the trailer which operate the ramps and horizontal moving plates?

Maybe Bosch, Valeo or ZF are developing them....

#4649 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

Charging overnight is fine, for those that can do, it and not nearly everyone can. As more are purchased more will need charging when not at home. That is an issue or time and access.

Today's example, MrsBally took her etron to Sunset Station today. Two ChargePoint chargers with a total of four connections. One was connected to a Mustang MachE with charging completed. None of the available three would connect. Yes, she has an active app, she has used those before. Imagine if she was at only a few % points of charge.
So now no free charging and I'm sure "It gonna cost me".

#4684 1 year ago

Lyriq (export model) spotted in the wild near Detroit.....

ng 43u I sg (resized).jpgng 43u I sg (resized).jpg

#4696 1 year ago

Thanks for pointing that out. I typed it correctly on my phone but spell check changed and pluralized it. Corrected.

1 week later
#4821 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The biggest sacrilege to the Mustang was[quoted image]

Mustang: II
Boredom: Zero

1 week later
#4946 1 year ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Start calling them “HOT water heaters”. That’ll really piss everybody off.

How aboot calling tankless/continuous ones "tankless hot water tanks"?

#4952 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That seems like crazy money.
I got this tankless on sale for $199, installed it in about 3 hours.
Comes with the exaust vent adapter and dielectric fittings in the box.
Cool black tempered glass face with digital readout, touch panel and lockout. Too bad it lives in the basement.
amazon.com link »[quoted image]

Does it require a 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" gas line? My home out here has a tankless heater.
which the prior owner had installed when the conventional gas model crapped out. With no basements here, it's in the garage, fortunately close to the meter and the builder installed a large gas line in the garage ceiling.

#4983 1 year ago

Not sure what size my Noritz is, but my home has three full bathrooms. We haven't had a problem when two showers are running. I can't wait to open it up to see the gizmos inside.

Before I added solar heat to the pool this past Spring, I would connect a garden hose from the clothes washer hot pipe in the laundry room and run it to the pool and add a couple inches of 140°F water to the pool in September to keep it usable. Running it like that for two or three hours straight worked fine.

#5013 1 year ago

Finally saw a Rivian pickup truck in a Vegas neighborhood last night....

20221230_201419 (resized).jpg20221230_201419 (resized).jpg
#5024 1 year ago

Saw two debadged Teslas in Vegas today. a 3 and a Y. Maybe the cult's army is starting to abandon ship. Only got a pic of the 3. Frunk emblem was also removed.

20230101_124449 (resized).jpg20230101_124449 (resized).jpg
#5032 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

Hard to tell but it looks like a matte black wrap. Could they have just removed them to install the wrap then decided they liked the clean look? I haven’t seen any de-badging on the east coast but I’ll keep my eyes open.

The Y was white standard gloss paint.
My son wrapped his TT several years ago. He reinstalled all badges with new trim tape.

#5071 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I'm in software for a living. The shit I've seen....*shudder*.
You might disagree but it is most definitely not ignorant.

Speaking of software, years ago, in a high-level meeting, the President of Bally Gaming (spun-off slot machine division from Bally Manufacturing Corporation) said: "I'm glad Bally doesn't make airplanes". Someone present asked him why, his reply: we would kill a lot of people....

#5109 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

There's been several of these petrol vs EV races and they all turn out about the same. Interesting to see these comparisons... I saw one today and pasted a link below if you want to view it.
TLDR - 9.5 hr 900km (560 mile) trip from Sydney to Melbourne Australia in two Hyundai's - basically an all day drive trip. The petrol car won by 38 minutes.
The EV charged 4 times and was delayed at one charger - so the race could have been even closer. Total time charging the EV: 34 minutes. The extra 4 minutes was due to going through a town after charging enroute to the highway.
Petrol stopped 3 times - twice for fuel and a food/drink stop. Interestingly he said he would have preferred to stop a 4th time on that long of a trip.
At one point half way through the trip they were just 7k (4 miles) apart. So if you're cannonballing go with petrol but if you are the average human that will stop for 30 minutes for food once on a 9 hr trip the total time is about the same. This also assumed the petrol car was full at the start of the trip - usually not the case.
Found the fuel cost differences:
Tucson - $112
Ioniq 5 - $67

Note that 1 Australian Dollar converts to $0.69US today.

#5110 1 year ago

Saw my first Lucid Air on the streets of Las Vegas yesterday. Now that's a nice looking EV.

Sorry for the dirty camera lens....

Screenshot_20230106_131209_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230106_131209_Gallery (resized).jpg
1 week later
#5199 1 year ago
Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

The legislation is a token gesture to support the fossil fuel industry that is a significant part of Wyoming’s economy. They admit the law would have little to do with reality.
It is doing exactly as intended, getting people to talk about the issue…

Now that Little America has a Supercharger installed, it looks like Tesla EV's have been accepted.

#5210 1 year ago

Spotted this morning in Las Vegas. A superior Tesla M3 with condensation in one of the tail/brake light assemblies.

To be fair, we had a lot of rain over the past weekend.

4e7tdiotd58d (resized).jpg4e7tdiotd58d (resized).jpg
#5229 1 year ago

Don't worry, the Musketeers can explain all of this. Nothing to see here.....

1 week later
#5410 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

With every electrical outlet being an EV “fuel pump” there’s one literally within a stones throw of almost everyone on the planet. While it may be slower and inconvenient… should SHTF it’ll be harder to get gas.
Problem we have today is auto makers like VW giving away a year of free DC fast charging with new car purchases. People that live locally will drive from their home and sit in their cars to get that free juice rather than charge at home for a few bucks. It really inconveniences long distance travelers that need those chargers. We really need to do away with free charging to stop incentivizing these new EV owners clogging the chargers to save a few bucks. If they are going to do it they need to limit it to the fast chargers at the dealers - away from the highways and travelers.

Tesla is just as guilty of this.

#5412 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

I wouldn't say 'just as guilty'. They haven't offered unlimited supercharging since the 3 was released like 6 years ago. Back then there weren't near as many being produced either. They deliver more in 6 months now than all delivered combined 2012-1017.
And the 1,000 miles Tesla offered during a few Q pushes (or with a referral) is really only 3-6 charges - it goes quick. It's nothing like a year or two of UNLIMITED charging. Placing a mileage cap on it is a smarter way to do it and causes you to use it when you need it - like on a road trip.

I would say it is the same. Not many Tesla owners or leasees put on 10,000 Supercharger miles a year.

Currently it's 10,000 miles worth of free supercharging, not 1,000 miles. However that's defined.....

#5415 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

The 10,000 miles free Supercharging was only offered Dec 15-31 2022 to push year end sales. They only offered it for those 2 weeks and they’ve never offered that high an amount before. Owners have up to 2 years to use those miles.
They have offered 1,000 miles a few times since 2016 - about once a year and usually for only a few weeks to drive Q end sales.
There is no current free Tesla supercharging being offered with new car sales.
As for how it’s calculated it’s defined by the car’s rated range - which is about 4.3 miles per kW supplied by the charger. It’s about 2,300 kW to go 10k miles. Rates are about 20-25 cents a kW so that’s like a $500 perk.
For reference Kia offers 1,000 kW of free Electrify America fast charging on every single EV they sell - 365 days a year. That’s about 4-5k miles of charging on every single car.
VW is worse going as far as offering 3 years unlimited charging on Electrify America fast charging network on all VW ID.4 models. 30 min max per session, but there’s a bug so all you have to do is move stalls and you can start another session free.

I believe the Tesla deal went from December 15 2022 to January 12, 2023.

As for VW's deal being "bad", how does that compare to the free lifetime supercharging (to the first owner only) of early Model S vehicles?

#5418 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

All articles I’ve found say the 10k free miles expired Dec 31 2022 - which makes sense as they wanted to boost year end sales.
Tesla discontinued free supercharging in mid 2016. From 2012 to mid 2016 they produced about 125,000 vehicles total and not all had free supercharging. Not all are still on the road either. But let’s say 50k are still out there? Each Tesla Supercharging location has on average 8-16 stalls. So a few older Model S owners charging isn’t a big deal. Electrify America charging locations are usually only 2 or 4 stalls. Much more of an impact.
VW sold half a million EV’s worldwide in 2022. Much less just in US (having a hard time finding the exact number). But all of those have 3 years of free unlimited charging. Every single one sold daily even today. When they show up at a charger that one car occupies 25-50% of available EA chargers vs a 2013 Model S showing up and occupying 1/10th or less of available Tesla Superchargers.
[quoted image]

One of the articles I found shows January 12th. Another indicated this was due to backlash of weather delays causing vehicles not being delivered by December 31st and Tesla saying they will deliver in early January, but no promised discount and no free Supercharging.....

Screenshot_20230205_211455_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230205_211455_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#5492 1 year ago

Looks like zaphX was right with all of his "wE ARe noT ReAdY" comments after all...
One of the comments in the thread said there is another supercharger "only" 7 miles away. Sadly, a couple Teslas came in with almost zero range and were stuck. No super-dooper battery packs or solar panels there.

Screenshot_20230220_173918_Twitter (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230220_173918_Twitter (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230220_173931_Twitter (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230220_173931_Twitter (resized).jpg

#5499 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

This excerpt seems to say it all…
“The Ukrainian military has used Starlink services effectively against Russian forces. Since the war broke out, Chinese military researchers have repeatedly called for developing capabilities to destroy Starlink if necessary.”

Does anyone realize that if they destroy Starlink, they will annex that little car factory along with all inventory of raw materials and finished goods?

#5546 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The Automobili Pininfarina Battista has cemented its claim to be the world's quickest production car after a series of tests on a high-speed track in India.
The Mahindra-owned, Italian-built electric supercar is powered by four electric motors with a combined 1,877 hp and is built with lightweight carbon fiber construction. The $2.2 million coupe last year set the quickest 0-60 mph acceleration time with a 1.79-second sprint, but has followed that up with a record-setting quarter-mile run.
With Autocar editor Hormazd Sorabjee behind the wheel, the Battista was able to cover the distance in just 8.55 seconds, beating the previous mark of 8.58 seconds set by the Rimac Nevera, with which it shares its motors and battery. No other stock production car has ever broken the 9-second barrier.
Sorabjee went on to set the half-mile record at 13.38 seconds on the way to a top speed of 222.5 mph on the seven-mile-long oval.
[quoted image]

And they make/design pretty cool Coca-Cola Freestyle soda pop machines.....

3 weeks later
#5728 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

And the key point is that it is not about what the current situation is regarding power sources, since the plan to save humanity, et al. requires BOTH electrifying everything that can be as quickly as possible (this is where you buying an EV for your next car comes in), and also switching to "green" electricity generation as soon as feasible. We need to to move where the "puck" is going to be (clean electricity powering clean EVs) and not wait for everything to be in place first.
And as noted, even with fossil-fueled electricity generation EVs are still far more efficient than ICE vehicles, lower TCO, better performance and comfort, etc. so no downside.

Don't tell me how to spend my money.

#5759 1 year ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

There is a Distinction not being made;
LOVE EV's . . . but Lithium and Batteries?, filled with Contrived Restricted Charged Energy, multiple sorts of Slavery made 'Ok'? . . . basically disgusting isn't enough words.
Nothing Against Electric Powered Vehicles, as in themselves, awesome lets go back to the 19th century 'tech'. Just the current Execution that is nonsensical and retaaded. Very Destructive too. Lithium, Cobalt, mining, surface destruction. Already Unsustainable, yet some refards condone going over a hundred fold in on it!?. On the slavery as well as the pollution. Then the Obvious Added Inherent Fire and Death risks. Lithium EV? . . . Get real boomers.

Boomers? I think you mean Millenials and Gen Z. Maybe even Gen X. The thing pictured sure aint no BOOMER!!!!

Pinside_forum_7430442_0 (resized).pngPinside_forum_7430442_0 (resized).png
1 week later
#5829 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I don’t think that anybody thinks they’re saving the earth on their own doing ANYTHING, let alone driving EVs. Nobody. That’s a fictional person you have made up in your mind.
But what’s wrong with one person thinking “maybe today I’ll shower for a minute less so there’s more water in the reservoirs for farms.” (For instance) Literally like a drop in the bucket, you say. But what are we waiting for, a universal agreement that we all do the right thing 100% all at the same moment? What are you worried about? Would you prefer to wait until something goes so horribly bad that we need a government mandate that we all do that decent thing 100%?
What makes me laugh is the dipshit driver of the massive pickup truck who think it’s actually cool to put as much black smoke into the air as possible at every stoplight. I can just see his backward-trucker-hat-wearing face as he yells, “take that f-ing earth!!!” Stupid earth. Suck it.

I didn't realize that showering, (using a water and sewage system that takes all water and crud from the sanitary sewers and recycles that water for reuse) causes less water in reservoirs for farming.
Farms that I'm familiar with have wells and pumps along with holding tanks for irrigation.

#5840 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

You might know more than me, cause none of that made sense to me honestly. Here in idaho there’s snow in the mountains (hopefully). That snowmelt water is stored in reservoirs and then used for power, irrigation, and sanitized for drinking. After you use it, for drinking or irrigation it’s eventually down to the ocean. But they don’t reuse water after irrigation or sewage here. So you kind of have to choose in a bad water year (every year for the last decade except this year). But honestly, if anyone has more info on this, I’d love to know it. But maybe in another thread.
I was just using the water thing as a generic “good for the community” thing one could do. And waiting to do something until EVERYONE does will get us nowhere.

In municipalities with water systems and sanitary sewers, all drains from sinks and toilets go into this system. Sweage treatment plants clean the water in a multi step process that produces drinking water. Imagine if the world's body waste drained into the oceans for the past 250 or so "modern" years. The oceans couldn't support that much marine life.

For homes without sewage systems, the septic tank system is utilized. The solid waste eventually gets removed via a pump/vacuum truck and that stuff goes to a landfill.

#5880 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I gather you've never had to shovel coal into a pale and then bring it into your home to feed a coal stove to keep warm? I have and it sucks. It's incredibly inefficient. It's kinda the same idea. Let them burn it there, or whatever else means (hopefully) to make power, and I'll use electricity to warm/cool my home. They don't drive it to the power station with semis either. They use rail. It's more efficient.

I'm a young BOOMER! I only had to transfer coal by the shovel full from the coal bin to the Stoker to heat the house via boiler/steam furnace. Aboot twelve feet of distance when the bin was full and maybe twenty feet near the end of the heating season....

#5890 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I get the logic of the meme. If the source is still dirty, how is an EV any better? It's just flawed logic. Most EV owners know the source of that power is still dirty a lot of the time, and that lithiom-ion is not ideal. Ultimately though, it's a step in the right direction.
I can't wait to see the meme's when sodium-ion batteries start to be a thing in EVs. It's coming...

Yer just bragging This is what we used and boy that house would be cold in the morning if somebody didn't get up and put more coal in the stove.
[quoted image]

We had one like the middle one. Had to open the large door on the boiler and pick out the giant ash "Clinkers" that formed and place them on a steel plate on the floor. When they cooled down, had to carry them upstairs and out to the truly named "Ash Can" in the alley. When the season was almost over and the coal bin was almost empty, I could place the cold ones outside through the coal chute door.

#5938 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

If this was true then the new law would apply to hybrids and plug in hybrids as well as EVs. They are just as quiet. Perhaps an amendment one day...

Current Audi Q5 Hybrids have the sound-o-matic. I've heard two of them recently in parking lots. Reverse is louder than forward too. If not required, bravo for Audi including it....

#5942 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

The rental company could have just remote unlocked and started the car (allowed them to drive it). But the first time they stop and get out it would lock again. There’s also a credit card sized key card and that is waterproof. Most rental agencies give this out instead of using the phone key. I always carry mine in my wallet as a backup should something happen to my phone.

Agreed, always, ALWAYS carry that card. I did when I was driving them.

#5953 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

There are almost no highway routes in the US where 350 miles wouldn’t be enough to get to the next charger. Maybe in Montana? 350 miles would handle the needs of 99% of drivers.
Edit: the longest distance between Superchargers in Montana along the main east/west highway 90 is 151 miles. But I get that piece of mind most think they need. Cold weather, rain, wind, etc will reduce range too.
But 60k miles over 5 years I’ve only been concerned once. That was driving a long distance from home to the blue ridge parkway, driving a few scenic hours along it, then needing to get back to a cabin all in one day. In the end it wasn’t a problem.
Most drivers have no problem driving a gas car till the fuel light comes on (~20 miles range) but consider driving an EV down to 6% (~20 miles) a nail biter. The anxiety goes away with experience,
[quoted image]

Let's take the trip between Las Vegas and Reno for example. 450 miles of not much in between. Three Tesla charging towns between LV and Reno. Lets figure 20 chargers apiece. On a nice Holiday travel period, with hundreds of Teslas buzzing aboot, what happens when all twenty chargers are taken and ten others are ahead of you? You wait 30 minutes minimum, just to connect, then the charge time starts. When I've taken this trip (plenty of times recently) I will usually get gas once just to keep my range at 500 in case of a road closure/detour as it seems to happen once or twice a year). If a gas station is full, there's another one across the street or at the other end of the small towns.

Remember what happened at several California superchargers last Summer and Thanksgiving? Think this year will be better or worse?

#5955 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

That highway is no joke! Ever take it through southern Oregon? You have a medical emergency or run low on juice you are in a world of hurt! sometimes you don’t see another car or gas station for hours.

I can't say that I've toted my pack along the lonely Winnemucca Road North to Oregon.
Funny that of the 85 or so places mentioned in the Hank Snow, and later Johnny Cash song "I've been everywhere"; I believe there are only eleven that I haven't been to.

#5957 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

Avg Supercharge time of 12-15 minutes and 20 chargers… that means a charger is freeing up every minute. With 10 cars in front of me it wouldn’t be a 30 minute wait it would be a 10 minute or less wait. Total waiting in line plus charging would be 30 or less. Granted I’ve never waited at a charger but then again I’m on the east coast.
You bring up a good point. There isn’t a queue system and I’ve seen videos of some chaos. There’s definitely some planning that is required for that trip - and planning a little extra time wouldn’t hurt.

When Tesla says "up to 200 miles of charge in 15 minutes". What does the "up to" refer to? Different battery capacity or dual motor and performance models give less miles for 15 minutes? On that 450 mile drive example, I want maximum range in case of a major problem which happens on that road from time to time.
Im not even taking cold temperatures during the Winter months onto account.

#6100 1 year ago
Quoted from poppapin:

I remember that and it was no big deal.

It was a greta deal, no added lead meant lower gasoline prices.

Oh, never mind......

1 week later
#6289 12 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

As long as I "care", I'm sure that certainly makes things better for everyone.
Imagine the feeling you could have by not "caring" (i.e. dictating) how others choose to live their lives. It is quite liberating.

Agreed, real Americans buy what they want.....

#6407 11 months ago
Quoted from Fytr:

The end for fossils may be closer than any of us think...
[quoted image]

Also, who the F cares aboot car prices. Those who buy $80-150k vehicles don't care about the low priced Toyota Yaris. They buy what they want. I don't being a lemming driving the same thing many others drive.
Dare to be different.

#6408 11 months ago

Weird ass vertical odometer:
[quoted image]

Goes greta with early Chevy Citation radios......

#6424 11 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Say the guys driving the same type of car and 95% of all cars on the road, while belittling anyone driving a car with different power source…
Yeah, we’re the lemmings. Uh huh!

Not me, I see a vehicle with the body style like mine, regardless of model year or color at most once in three days of driving in the Las Vegas area. Can't say that aboot Teslas.

#6463 11 months ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Cool article. Thanks! Do you have anything to prove the EV's catch fire at a higher rate than ICE cars? This article links to another source which again, may have biases but still seems to conclude that EV's have a lower propensity to catch fire. https://www.idtechex.com/en/research-article/ev-fires-less-common-but-more-problematic/25749
[quoted image]

I wonder if that cartoon uses annual sales in the recent year but the total population of each vehicle type?

#6526 11 months ago
Quoted from tripplett:

What extra cost are you referring to? KBB lists the avg cost of a new cars for 2023 at $49.5k. You can buy a dozen different EVs at that price. And at $100 a week - over 5-6 years you’re talking about $26-31k in just fuel alone.

The $49.5k cost of a new EV. Some of us have older, dependable, antiquated, soon to be obsolete, ICE vehicles that are paid for, but basically worthless to resell/trade. We'd rather spend a hundred bucks a week on gas and have basic liability insurance instead of spending $50k or have a nice $800.00 car payment. Plus a $150.00-$250.00 monthly insurance fee. Las Vegas being a 24/7 alcohol serving town makes our insurance rates ridiculous.

#6529 11 months ago
Quoted from tripplett:

So the statement should read “I can spend 100 a week on gas for my USED ice vehicles and would never recoupe the extra cost of buying a new $49.5k car (EV or gas)”. In other words this is irrelevant to a discussion about EVs but instead comparing driving a used car vs new car.
But given all the fuel and maintenance savings (plus any rebates if applicable) you’d still be better off over a 5 yr ownership with a new EV than a new gas car. I’m almost 5 hrs into my Model 3 and total cost minus all the savings and the $7,500 rebate puts me out of pocket at about $25k. And I can sell it today for more than that.

Don't put words in my mouth. My statement is exactly how I wrote it.
You do you and I'll do me.

3 weeks later
#6715 10 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Here we go again with selective statistics. You did look at the source data (i.e. the German ADAC article), right?
If so, you would have seen the following ICE models had the same or fewer breakdowns per 1,000 than the Tesla 3s with 1.1 breakdowns in 2020 when comparing Middle class vehicles (somewhat ironically, they are all German):
- Audi A4 | 1.0
- BMW 3 Series | 0.8
- BMS X3 | 1.1
- Mercedes C-Class | 0.8
- Mercedes GLC | 1.1
Not sure how the data points to Tesla "crushing" ICE vehicles when it was equaled or bettered by over 20% of the other vehicles (the study included 23 total in the "Middle" class).
Conclusion? As a German auto buyer you could purchase 5 of the most popular German made ICE vehicles and have equal or better reliability than buying an American import Tesla 3 EV. Don't get me wrong, I want the entire world to purchase our exports, but the case the article you posted is trying to make just doesn't hold water.

A buddy in Germany just ordered a new A6 to replace his five year old one. Twelve month lead time for vehicles with the twin turbo six zylinder. Fortunately, I only had to wait a few months for mine. What a machine.....

20230519_180357 (resized).jpg20230519_180357 (resized).jpg20230528_135842 (resized).jpg20230528_135842 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#6754 10 months ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

One answer is that a hybrid is still saddled with all the pitfalls of an ICE vehicle. You still have the engine and transmission maintenance and repairs, such as oil and filter changes, timing belt, air filter, fuel filter, plugs and wires, etc.

With a plug in hybrid used primarily close to home, you really don't have much of the maintenance issues withe the gasoline engine as it is rarely used. With synthetic oil, changes are pushed way out. Same for filters.
We've had one for eight months. Filled it with gas three times (took a drive to Vacationland, USA: Barstow, California). All other drives are local here in Vegas.

#6846 10 months ago
Quoted from Ribs:

*This post is sponsored by ExxonMobil, BP, Shell, and Chevron. World renowned non-grifters and trustworthy best friends.

Don't forget Sinclair. Buy the Best, buy Sinclair!

#6850 10 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

We are an advanced species, we burn dinosaurs for fuel....
[quoted image]

Yee-Ha!!!!

FB_IMG_1686873758152 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1686873758152 (resized).jpg
#6868 10 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

It’s worth it.

Agreed, as I say (from my son); Smiles per Gallon. In the EV case; Smiles per KwH.....

1 week later
#7050 9 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I see people all the time who drive much nicer vehicles than I do but I know I make more money than them, so why should I be punished for being financially responsible?

Eight states penalize citizens for being fiscally responsible. They do this with an "Intangibles tax". You are expected to pay a tax on cash and stock certificates (that have value) in a drawer, mattress, or safe deposit box. Also on bank deposits that dont pay interest. Same with bonds you possess.

#7055 9 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

As an EV owner I assume, and frankly agree, I should pay some sort of per mile tax. We should all have to pay for the roads, etc. that we use. Imo gas tax is the kind of “appropriate” taxation where the people who use a thing, pay for that thing.

This is pure insanity. I can’t believe people are voting for people who support these kind of policies. I would move out of this kind of state and move to Idaho…

I certainly moved out of a tax-happy state. Coincidentally, with shitty roads. I've replaced all sorts of suspension components, ruined wheels and tires on my vehicles while there. Since moving, no such thing. No wheel alignments either.

#7172 9 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

How about when they break your daughter's bedroom door down and confiscate her princess phone????

My sister had a Touch-Tone Princess phone. My Dad disCONnected the bell and added a jumper so Ma Bell couldn't detect it and add a monthly charge. I think the phone itself fell off of a Western Electric truck or something.....

#7215 9 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

This is what I remember quoted before as well. You summed up my point well. Even if EVs are only a tiny bit better, or even a little worse right now, how can it be a bad thing to move that direction. Ice engine tech has to be close to maxing out. We know the part counts are massively in favor of EVs. That alone tells me reliability of EVs will be better (and my own experience and that of many I know personally). Ev and renewable energy production will only improve. They’re still in their relative infancy. I’m not saying kill off oil immediately. We will need it for a long time to come. No question. But why not start the transition?

We'll need oil for our war machine/national defense for our and our kids' and grandkids' lifetimes.....

#7252 9 months ago
Screenshot_20230704_141158_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230704_141158_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230704_141200_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230704_141200_Facebook (resized).jpg
#7257 9 months ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

Vid right now
[quoted image]

IMG_7927 (resized).pngIMG_7927 (resized).png
#7259 9 months ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

That’s a lotta blow & hookers

Will it be able to compete with the $40K "cybertruck"?

1 week later
#7780 9 months ago
Quoted from Strummy:

My wife had a toothache a few years back while visiting family there. 15 bucks for exam, xray and antibiotics.

Co-worker got sick in Austria. Allergic reaction. ER for six hours. Did not accept US insurance. Total charge: 43 Euroes.

#7867 9 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:Like gas. The only egg in our vehicle basket currently….

Absurd
Hydrogen powered air conditioners?

The large dispensaries with dope growing on-site have natural gas powered A/C units on their roofs.

Shango, for example has 20 units on their roof. All with Toyota 4 cylinder engines burning natural gas.

Trivia: their Las Vegas location is in the former Alliance Gaming building. Alliance bought Bally Gaming in the 90's.....

#8065 9 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Not an EV at all.
It's a famous video from Russia involving a diesel truck filled with acetylene gas cylinders from over a decade ago.
You can watch it from 5 different angles.

Whenever someone is putting together an anti EV propaganda video, they always include an edited version of the Isuzu flatbed truck explosion, thinking no one will notice.

I like the composite video titled : "Meanwhile, back in Russia"....

#8066 9 months ago
Quoted from mjenison:

That is definitely a nice feature of ICE cars...but it doesn't come for free.
An EV owner would have to pay an additional $2000 a year on average, and periodically have to drive to some location and wait to have their oil changed, transmission flushed, coolant replaced, belts replaced, brakes replaced more often...
If there was a subscription option for EVs to get "super fast recharge" for the costs above...hard pass. I'd just stick with mindful planning.

Let's see, I spent aboot $1,800.00 /yr for fuel on my Audi A4 that I had for 3.5 years putting on 42,500 miles. The four Oil & oil filter changes, as well as the one brake fluid flush were covered by AudiCare that was included in the DEAL that I NEGOTIATED with the DEALERSHIP using the ANTIQUATED, soon to be OBSOLETE business model when I purchased the vehicle.

Also, no coolant flush was required during that time. Nor were any belts (only one that engine) replaced, no transmission fluid was replaced either. Brake pads and rotors were well within spec. They probably would be good though at least 60,000 or more miles.

Most EV lovers also mention spark plugs repacement requirements. Yes, they were replaced at the 40,000 mile mark. Covered by AudiCare.

On most GM vehicles, spark plugs are good for 80,000 miles.

#8099 9 months ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Kind of difficult to pit maneuver these heavy hogs but he finally Got’m!
I yelled hit him again at 4:40 lol

We should see new directives by Law Enforcement to stop fleeing Teslas. Otherwise the perps may start doing pit maneuvers to Police vehices.

#8101 9 months ago

Must have Facebook. Make a burner acCOuNt if necessary.

Sound up!!!

https://www.facebook.com/reel/962909144939521?mibextid=9drbnH&s=yWDuG2&fs=e

#8109 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Remember, this week is the last week to order an ICE Dodge Challenger or Charger, as they have both been discontinued.
(it is rumored that the Charger will be back as an EV in a couple of years)
[quoted image]

I'm waiting for the new EVW Beetle. From Wolfsburg, new. Not the retrofit kits from EV West in an older Beetle.

#8110 8 months ago

Interesting indeed.
[quoted image]

You need to be logged in on FB to see the Airstream group front page. You have to join the group to see the specific article page.

#8114 8 months ago

Well that’s no fun.

Two words:

Burner
Account.

#8116 8 months ago

Don’t want to. FB is just another info grabbing app. Another really bad one on mobile devices is docusign. They will grab anything and everything they can.

I get it. Certain apps I immediately delete but record the id and password in case I need to reload in the future.
To each their own....

#8117 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Elmo changed one of most recognized commercial logos and names in the world today.
Twitter is now X (not kidding)
[quoted image]
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/elon-musk-confirms-hell-swap-154344729.html

Nice diversion from all of his problems that are cropping up....

#8138 8 months ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Yee-Ha!!!!
[quoted image]

Dino & his offspring today in Alamo, Nevada.
Passed -zero- EV's on US 93 between Las Vegas and Ely. This includes superior Tesla's. Lots of traffic all using antiquated, soon to be obsolete, ICE engines.

Temps were 111° to 115° on the route...

20230723_160241 (resized).jpg20230723_160241 (resized).jpg
#8141 8 months ago

80% of 42% is still a loss.

What does that mean?

1 week later
#8476 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

All these new ideas are just blowing my mind.[quoted image]

If Elmo tweeted this (or is it now "X'd it"?), his unpaid army would be all aflutter.....

#8596 8 months ago
Quoted from michiganpinball:

My model 3 costs $3 in electricity to go 100 miles (at my power cost of 12 cents per kwh). I have solar but didn't factor that in (it is much cheaper).

My recently purchased antiquated, soon to be obsolete, ICE vehicle costs me $0.22/ mile in premium fuel based on current Las Vegas Costco prices. If I were still in Michigan, it would be aboot $0.17/mile.

To me, it's all aboot smiles per gallon. I also don't want to drive something that you see all over the place. On that note, I'm noticing fewer Tesla's on the roads here. I mentioned earlier that two co-workers got rid of their Teslas. Recently; a neighbor got rid of his as well.

#8602 8 months ago

And ICE vehicles can suffer >30% losses in MPG due to temperature.
And again, of course range is important to understand. If you regularly drive >~300 miles a day, an EV may not be your best option.
https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/fuel-economy-cold-weather#:~:text=Fuel%20economy%20tests%20show%20that,can%20vary%20by%20vehicle%20model.

Even though I don't regularly drive >~ 300 miles a day. A few days a month I do. Electric is not for me.

All of the slot machine manufacturers have factories and officies in Las Vegas. When employees need to drive to the Tribal properties for meetings etc. in California, those with Teslas have told me they park them at Harry Reid airport and rent antiquated, soon to be obsolete ICE vehicles so they make all of their appointments without fail.

#8633 8 months ago
Quoted from tripplett:

People posting here like overnight home charging an EV for 12 hrs is an inconvenience. But I bet if they had the option to slowly drip gasoline in their car at home every night, even at a “12 hrs to full” rate, would never stop at a gas station for fuel again outside of long trips.

Not too many would like the stench of gasoline building up in their garages. Not to mention the explosion potential.

#8699 8 months ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

The inconvenience is the hours of time that you have to wait to fill. It does not matter what you are doing during that time. The range is unavailable during those hours. If you need to go *now* you can't get full. That's the point. Make them fill in 2 minutes and it's a whole different ball game.

Wait until you arrive home, with an EV on empty, plug it in and a medical emergency happens requiring a long drive. Yeah, F that.

#8718 8 months ago
Quoted from tripplett:

Driving EV for 5 years / 65,000 miles and that exact scenario has happened a total of once. I drove to the mountains and back then needed to drive to my mother-in-laws unexpectedly just minutes after arriving home. Her house is 100 miles away and I had 50 miles range. I stopped at a DC fast charger for 12 minutes and had enough range to get there and back home the next day.
Once, in 5 years... and I could have easily taken our other car.
Now factor in the 2 minutes x 185 gas fill ups over those 65k miles that I didn't have to wait for. That's over 6 hours pumping gas.

Seconds save lives....

#8724 8 months ago
Quoted from Fytr:

No ambulances in your town?

I take it you've never dealt with an elderly parent or other relative who refused to move to assisted living but then relies on you to be there whever they have an issue.

I have.

Sometimes when I was 7 miles away, sometimes when I was 180 miles away. For one of the 180 mile away events, I got a call from the police & rescue crew who came over when she called saying she was "being held hostage against her will (in her own home).
They wanted to take her for the old "72 hour observation" deal. But, she refused to go and was being beligerant. The asked me, or another relative, to get there ASAP. Only other relative was 2300 miles away and refuses to set foot on an airplane. So I had to race over in three hours or less. They were leaving but would come back in exactly three hours to make sure she wasn’t a danger to herself.

So, an empty EV would not work in my case. I had to rush over. Family first.

1 week later
#8780 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They make a portable EDC that lets you waste any ICE blocking the charging stations.
Cooks the entire electrical system, and leaves the car totalled. No ignition, computer, locks, abs, fuel pump... nothing.

How will a superior Tesla react to it? Could it cause some system to put the battery into thermal runaway?

#8807 7 months ago
Quoted from Fytr:

What's your much better plan for saving the planet then?

I never signed up or took a pledge to "save the planet". I don't think too many individuals have. I was taught a a young age to conserve energy, not litter, don't pollute rivers, lakes and streams. That's it for me.

#8808 7 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Volkswagen cutting back EV production due to "strong customer reluctance" in EV vehicle market overall.
https://www.wardsauto.com/industry-news/vw-scales-back-ev-production

When I was shopping at a local Audi dealer (I know, antiquated, soon to be obsolete business model) a few months ago, they had five, low mileage e-tron GT sedans for sale. All with less than 5,000 miles. I asked my salesperson why; he said every one of the customers had traded a gasoline model for these cars, and after every one of them took an out of state trip, they were unhappy waiting to recharge the vehicle. They traded each one for a new, antiquated, soon to be obsolete gasoline Audi.

These are not $30-70k EV's they are $115-180k luxury performance vehicles.

#8870 7 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

So here’s a legit question to discuss and I want to hear from both “sides” if this discussion.
I’m not seeing any gas stations putting in chargers of any kind. Are they in denial about (some percentage of) gas cars moving to ev? Is it not a good business model for them?

Buc-ees are adding them now. The Citgo station on I-94 at Old US-27 in Marshall, Michigan (Exit 110) added a Tesla Supercharger aboot four years ago.

#8889 7 months ago

No EV's today at the M1 Concourse Cars 'n coffee..

IMG_9474 (resized).jpgIMG_9474 (resized).jpgimagejpeg_0 (resized).jpgimagejpeg_0 (resized).jpg
#8901 7 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There are 135,000 ICE fires every year in USA.
There were 23 EV fires last year.
[Removed]

One burned in the parking lot of an Albertson's on East Charleston & Sloan in Las Vegas. It's not on the "list"....

3 weeks later
#8959 6 months ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

News from the CLEPIN Show last week was that no EV owners had their catalytic converters stolen. Several ICE owners were not so lucky.

Sophisticated Owners of Antiquated, soon to be obsolete, ICE equipped vehicles have their cats mounted on top of the engine....

20230625_152155 (resized).jpg20230625_152155 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#8967 6 months ago

The two catalytic converters mounted behind the two turbochargers on the top of the antiquated, soon to be obsolete ICE on an Audi RS5.

#8981 6 months ago

You plan to tow a large travel trailer for 18 straight hours with only a single 5-minute stop? Where are you doing this? I want to stay as far away from that road as possible.

Ever hear of team driving? Husband and wife? Maybe an older child too?
Maybe three or four buddies going hunting in the wilderness?

Growing up in Detroit, many of us piled into a car with two or three others and drove non-stop to Daytona Beach. Just stopped to get gas and junk food, usually we'd stop for a minute along the road and water the tires. Depending on how much beer was being consumed.

#8982 6 months ago
Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

I understand an electric motor has more torque and can “get up and go” more quickly.
But I am not interested in that
A pure ICE sports car with the vroom and acceleration is pure bliss.

As I discussed when I was making the deal on an RS5 at the dealer (it took months to get one) yet they had several etron GT's (new and used) with slightly faster 0-60 times but not top speed, also slightly lower range. I said maybe I should get one for the city. They reminded me that the etrons don't sound like the RS models with their antiquated, soon to be obsolete, ICE.

#8994 6 months ago

Quite a use for Hybrid technology!
Any word on gas efficiency?

I don't think the buyers care aboot fuel economy. They will buy for performance.

1 week later
#9021 6 months ago
Quoted from Fytr:

"Tesla Model 3 & Model Y Now Cost Less Than Gasoline-Powered Equivalents"
Src: https://cleantechnica.com/2023/10/12/tesla-model-3-model-y-now-cost-less-than-gasoline-powered-equivalents/
It's happening!

Some vehicle buyers do not make purchase decisions based on lowest price. You get what you pay for.

1 week later
#9051 5 months ago
Quoted from Fytr:

It's not just ICE cars that self-immolate frequently: https://news.yahoo.com/devastating-tanker-fire-shuts-down-181719612.html
Just think of the incredible savings (monetary, environmental, quality of life) related to transporting gasoline to all those gas stations as ICE cars fade into memory.

I don't think I'll be around for that. You probably won't be either. Maybe our kids will, but don't count on it.

2 weeks later
#9091 5 months ago
Quoted from HobbyGuy:

That's what I thought reading the article - plug-in hybrid, so you have to use gas and pollute one car at a time, still have all the maintenance of an ICE plus the complexity of the hybrid, all for reducing the benefits of the electric motor. Almost seems like false advertising for those opposed to EVs?

What if you use a plug-in hybrid vehicle only near your home, only in Electric mode? Would that be acceptable to you?

#9101 5 months ago
Quoted from HobbyGuy:

Well heck, I can't afford one yet. So it's all hypothetical right? But just to play along, given that driving pattern, there's no argument for not being full EV. Why would you want to buy a hybrid if you are only using it like you say?

Sure there's an argument, let's say I need to drive 500 or 1000 miles with a deadline. I'll use my plug-in hybrid in gasoline mode. Otherwise, I'll use it locally in Electric mode saving big on cost per mile.

Plus, if/when I need super acceleration, decent plug-in hybrids can be ran in gas and EV mode with at least 400 hp.

#9104 5 months ago

Yeah, no way I'd consider a vehicle that has both an ICE and electric inside. That's just dumb. Why add MORE complexity and MORE parts to service?
I drive 9 miles to work every day. Less than 20 miles a day on average most days. Pretty much ANY EV will satisfy my needs.

I don't think that's "just dumb". Every EV owner says EV's need no maintenance or repairs, thus, no additional complexity nor more parts to service. If I use it in EV mode 90% of the time, I'm saving so much on gas, that I can afford the upcharge. And, when I take long trips I'll just use gas. In my hypothetical "only 10% of ICE use" means I won't need hardly any ICE maintenance. Maybe an oil change in year 3. If needed sooner, it will probably be included in the vehicle purchase price.

#9109 5 months ago
Quoted from HobbyGuy:

So that's not the scenario you gave me. That's the one I was responding to, not this new very unlikely scenario.
"What if you use a plug-in hybrid vehicle only near your home, only in Electric mode?"
So under your original scenario above, why would you not just get a pure EV instead of a hybrid?

Because I have family and friends 2000 miles away and sometimes I need to bring or pick up contraband that I can't take on an airplane. Plus, I want to drive almost nonstop. Team driving situations.

#9115 5 months ago
Quoted from HobbyGuy:

I think we're talking past each other. You just moved the goalposts into a different stadium. Yes, this NEW scenario you've just made, makes sense. The old scenario there is no reason to have a hybrid over a pure EV.

I need to cover all scenarios that I have experienced and expect to experience again.

A pure EV is not for me.

3 weeks later
#9138 4 months ago
Quoted from tripplett:

50% growth in a year is "in the toilet"?

Correct. The industry was touting 80-90% YOY sales growth in the middle of this year. Now down big (in the toilet) bringing it to aboot a 50% YOY annual sales growth.

#9144 4 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Shhhhhhh....Don't tell Norway, where 88% of all new car sales are EVs and half a million people live in the Arctic Circle.
They are one of the largest producers of oil in the world, 100% of their citizens are millionaires and they still choose EVs.
Strange.

Having money doesn’t always equal intelligence.

1 week later
#9187 3 months ago

They had about the same number of accidents as Ram and Subaru drivers...what does this tell us about those 3 brands and drivers?

It tells us that Tesla drivers are relying on defective technology or they are simply shitty drivers. There are not even 10% of Tesla vehicles on the road compared to the number of Ram and Subaru vehicles on the road.

1 week later
#9214 3 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The mega cellphone company Xiaomi (pronounced show-me) has a new EV with 500 mile range and 0-62 in 2.7 seconds.
5 minutes of charging gets you 140 miles of range (yep, cell phone companies know about fast charging)
They headhunted a couple of guys from the BMW design team to design the body, and offer it in the Xiaomi cellphone colors.
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

If they are going to sell in the USA; How soon before they have a dealer and service network set up? Also, a PDC or three.

#9221 3 months ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

History will repeat itself just like the 1930s when all the electric car makers closed up. 12 upstart ev makers will be out of cash by Q1 of 2024. Evs sitting on lots everywhere, makers backing off production and telling the govt to stop the mandates. Germany pulled all subsidies. Not looking good for the ev market unless you want to buy one because the prices are going to tank.

Tesla stock is down 30% over the past two years.

#9237 3 months ago

another fun fact, ~100% of homes have electricity meaning every home is a charging station. More funner fact...That means there are 145M charging stations in the US + public charging stations. Funnererer fact...There are only ~140T gas stations in the US. Good luck with that.

There are still homes in remote areas with only 110/120 volt service. Good luck with the 1 mile range per hour of charging.

#9253 3 months ago
Quoted from michiganpinball:

Wow I had to look it up and indeed there are some homes with only 110/120. But it seems to be very very rare. Would be a bummer for electric hot water heater, AC, Baseboard heat also. I have charged my car on 120v at 16amps (or even 12 amps) and it is pretty slow but not as slow as 1 mph of charging. IIRC it is more like 8 miles per hour. My X had and EV that she charged only on 120v plug in her garage, since she only drove about 20 miles a day it was fine for her.

I had access to a company pool Tesla 3 dual motor for a few days here n there. On a weeked, I drained the battery and had to charge it at home with the 120 vac cord thingy. In a 20 amp circuit in my garage, I added 16 miles of range in 12 hours. YRMV

#9257 3 months ago

So what did you do?
Too bad you didnt roll up to one of the 50 superchargers in Paradise...

This was when I lived in Detroit. After the slow charge at home, I was able to drive it back to work (aboot ten miles) where we had a Bosch charge-o-matic.

Incidentally, the ones on or near the Strip are 8 miles from my home. There is a Tesla Service Center five miles from my home with a Supercharger.

Where I work, another employee got rid of their Model Y. Only one Tesla remains as of now.

1 week later
#9294 3 months ago

I thought Tesla never has Supercharger problems.

I will NEVER be caught in a situation like this:

#9305 3 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Exactly.
One charging station was having power problems from the utility company (Ameren), and Faux News reports it like every EV in the nation is stuck due to cold temps.
There were a dozen other public chargers within a 10 mile radius, all operating correctly, lol

All it takes is one supercharger to be out and a dozen or more Teslas needed to be towed.

Reported on three Chicago network affiliates plus NPR, which, hopefully is credible to everyone here.

#9361 89 days ago

The musketeers will be demanding they be transported in a Tesla Hearse when their time comes. If they're still available that is.

#9368 88 days ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

How about an AMC Gremlin? Those were some of the cheapest cars around back in the day. Not much more than 4 wheels, an engine, and a radio.
Once the idea of a car lease became commonplace, manufacturers probably didn't have the incentive to make bare bones cheap cars any more.

A Gremlin by the Bally Bingo plant on Roscoe. Also used to stage equipment for the Carousel Time/Aladdin's Castle arcades in the Chicago area.

Photo taken by me in June, 1975.

20220414_171411 (resized).jpg20220414_171411 (resized).jpg

#9376 88 days ago

Is that a javelin too?

Yep.

#9378 88 days ago

I see a cutlass and a maverick by the building.

That Maverick could be a Mercury Vomit, I mean Comet.

#9418 84 days ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I'll take one of those with the crate.

I remember seeing one with the crate at the '19 or '20 NAIAS. What a car and package!

#9430 84 days ago

Mr. Television Code is rolling over in his grave.....

Screenshot_20240124_202742_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240124_202742_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
1 week later
#9467 75 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

I guess you missed the part where I said in California. There was a news story on the other night about car insurance here and EVs and especially two popular Teslas being the most expensive. I don't see why they would lie about such a thing. Twice as much might be an exaggeration, but it might not be that far off compared to more economic or similarly priced gas powered vehicles from what I have heard. But you can do the math or work the numbers any way you like. Be my guest. I won't be buying any of them.
https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/car-auto-insurance-premium-save-california-rates/
"The most expensive cars to insure are electric vehicles, especially the Tesla Model X and Model Y. The cheapest vehicle to insure is the Honda CR-V and the Ford F-150, according to LendingTree."

One of the points in the article was the low center of gravity and extra weight EV cars carry. Sure, any Mac truck could run through a barrier as well.

MAC only makes commercial trailers. Dump, flatbed, luquid tank and bulk tanks.

Mack makes commercial trucks and tractors.

#9468 75 days ago
Quoted from RWH:

Would love to know if any EV owner here has tried trekking the length of US 80 that spans from NY to SF? There are (or used to be) stretches of that route that didn't have gas stations etc for 200 miles, that would worry me. Had been from one end to the other many times when I was younger with the last being '88/'89. I went to SF late last year but didn't go across 80.

I don't recall any stretch over 60 miles on I-80 between Toledo and San Francisco over the past 35 years. Northern Nevada has a 55 mile stretch. I last drove it in 2021 between Laporte, Indiana to Reno (two trips).

There's a spot on the West end of I-70 in Colorado that is aboot 105 miles with nutthin.

Within Nevada, there is a 101 mile stretch on US 95 (future I-11) with no gas between Las Vegas & Reno.

#9490 72 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes, but if you are going with performance, wouldn't you want it to at least look the part? I knew someone with a V-8 Gremlin once and that thing hauled ass. I guess they are both what we used to call "sleepers".
[quoted image]

A buddy had one, he let me use it for two weeks when he was out of town. It sure was a sleeper.

#9517 70 days ago
Quoted from newovad:

Probably should just take a flight either way.

Not if you're hauling contraband (not allowed for flight products) or pinball backglass....

#9532 69 days ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Recent Trends are revealing EV is not the long term solution to ICE vehicles.
Too many issues.Recent negative press is surprising. Normally they have catered to the fan-boys.
The future will relegate electric vehicles to the dustbin..again.

Screenshot_20240125_184245_Photo Editor (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240125_184245_Photo Editor (resized).jpg
#9553 68 days ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

And if you’re not afraid to put in a 220V outlet yourself, you can buy and install an L2 charger for under $200. My car came with a charger, so I just had to put in an outlet, which cost me maybe $30.

$22.11 for me.

Outlet: $17.00
Box: $1.40
Plate: $2.00
Sales tax: $1.71

Wire was free since I had leftover from another job.

#9556 68 days ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Are you insured if your self installed unlicensed outlet burns down your house? Or maybe your ev goes into thermal meltdown and does the job for you like the Jaguar in Denver?

Yes.

#9567 66 days ago
Quoted from bob_e:

What did you use for circuit breakers? 30, 40, or 50 amp?

50 amp.
I forgot I bought it, add another $14.00 to my total. I buy electrical supplies at City Electric and GraybaR.

#9591 65 days ago

i'm guessing they just want to top off for free. People like free.

Many of the off-strip casinos offer free Charge Point juice. MrsBally gets her etron charged for free!

Most of those free charges cost $4-500.00 though.

#9637 62 days ago

$29K is expensive?

It is, if you're the type of car buyer that buys $2000.00 shitboxes to provide basic, local transportation.

There are lots of consumers like this.

#9657 61 days ago

Ok so $25K Kia's are now considered elitist cars. Got it.

To those who buy $2k vehicles (they used to be $400 shitboxes), $25k Kia's sure are *elitist".

2 weeks later
#9723 47 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you live in OH, you can get $100 to trade in your gas lawn mower for electric:
https://www.hcdoes.org/447/Mow-Greener-Exchange-Program
Why Switch Mower Types?
Battery-powered mowers run cleaner than gas and oil-based engines.
Battery-powered mowers are easier to maintain: no gas, oil or spark plugs.
Battery-powered mowers are light weight & easy to start.
Battery packs can be used in other same voltage/brand lawn care equipment.
No more driving to the gas station to purchase gas/oil for the lawn mower.
Charging an electric lawn mower is cheaper than using gasoline.
Gas powered lawn equipment accounts for 17 percent of all VOC emissions, 12 percent of NOx emissions, 29 percent of CO emissions, and 4 percent of CO2 emissions nationally.
The U.S. EPA estimates that more than 17 million gallons of gasoline is spilled each year while refueling lawn equipment, which pollutes the soil and releases VOCs.

I got rid of my gasoline mower almost three years ago. Snow blower as well.

I moved to Las Vegas. Desert landscaping and no snow yet.

#9728 45 days ago
Quoted from newovad:

It says Mass Market so this study doesn’t seem to have the electric only companies. Also, did you misspell Tesla on purpose and why?

He spelled it that way to emphasize the way elon pronounces that word.

1 week later
#9786 36 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

US Billionaire Drowns inside a Tesla, while calling friends underwater in a Texas pond
Seems fishy.
[quoted image]
https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/us-billionaire-drowns-tesla-after-rescuers-struggle-cars-strengthened-glass-1723876

Koi vey!

1 week later
#9803 28 days ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Hertz CEO steps down after ev selloff issue. 400 days plus of inventory on dealer lots of ev inventory. Price war continuing due to lack of sales. Going to be interesting to see what unfolds in the ev market by the end of Q2.

20240213_141330 (resized).jpg20240213_141330 (resized).jpg
#9826 26 days ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

And also efficiency/mileage. I imagine its the same for an EV as it is for ICE. Driving style between 2 different styles can easily affect it 10% and even more with more aggressive driving. I've never understood the desperation to get to the next red light half a mile away as quickly as possible, then slam on the brakes at the last instant, all so you can sit there and wait with everyone else. At least with EV you get the benefit of regenerative braking.

Vegas (non-tourist areas) is about the worst there is. Everyone has got to be first. Many don't stop for red lights either.

#9847 24 days ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I thought most weed shops were cash only since it still is a federal crime. thus they would be targeted by criminals no?

All the weed shops here have several armed guards, most cash is deposited into vaults. Armed criminals ain't gonna get much from the business.

Amazingly, with all of the crooks in this town, I don't think I've heard aboot even one robbery at any of the dispensaries.

#9885 20 days ago

Costco San Diego, $4.69 for Regular on Tuesday the 26th.
Today in Henderson, Nevada:

Only $0.26 difference between Regular & Premium.

20240328_190714 (resized).jpg20240328_190714 (resized).jpg
#9890 19 days ago

PRICE DROP!
$4.599/gallon for regular today at Costco in San Diego.

#9893 19 days ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Just wait for the charging stations try to charge extra for "premium" electrons!

I'm waiting for the muskrats to claim that Tesla Superchargers provide premium electricity and that they should be reserved only for Tesla vehicles.

I wonder if they will claim that Electrify America chargers contain harmful electrons that could damage the premium tesla motors?

#9895 18 days ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Tesla Semi has shipped over 20k battery packs out of Giga Nevada:
[quoted image]
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-semi-shipped-over-20k-battery-packs-from-giga-nevada/

Too bad they can't use 'em to deliver new vehicles they produce. Their EV Semi Tractors are basically being used for dedicated freight carrier service on a particular route.

#9900 16 days ago

For a purpose that matches the capabilities of the vehicle, it's perfect. Such is the answer for EVERY type of vehicle, EV's included.

So, a Day Cab.

#9943 13 days ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Guess we should get to work on nontoxic tire and brake compounds? There goes another million dollar idea I've wasted. (Imagine doing a burnout and it smells like roasted corn.)
Speaking of solar, it's surprising to see miles and miles of solar along I-10 in north Florida. It seems like they are adding another big farm each time I travel that way. Keep surprising me Florida! (Probably just power companies saving a buck, but they sure are busy at it.)

North America requires Low Copper brake friction after 12/31/2021. Zero Copper is madated for friction produced from 1/1/2025.

This has been a big deal for the friction manufacturers and brake suppliers.

It is required for all braking friction used on roads. Clutch friction is exempt.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread?tu=mrbally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.