ford-charge-station-pro-install-with-1-conduit-this-time-v0-e1kcy3p1c3za1.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Image 4-21-24 at 1.05?PM (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 13-53-01 Who Wants a Loud Car (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 18-12-04 reddit (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 8.32.26?AM (resized).png
used (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider michiganpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4172 1 year ago
Quoted from LastCall420:

I have a question maybe someone has the answer here lol,
I’m sizing solar for my house and wanted to know the kWh per year average with at home charging of an EV.(model y) Home average where I’m at is 7200kwh average for the year, so looking to add average charging at home of EV, to get right size so I’m using less from the grid and should be huge cost savings. Most driving I do is usually daily work say 20k miles per year.

You can do the math. A model Y will probably average 280 watt hour per mile. So 20,000 (miles) X .280 (kwh) = 5600KWH per year. Add 10% for charging loss for a total of 6160KWH per year.

5 months later
#6441 12 months ago

My personal experience with EV has been good. Recently crossed 100K miles on 2019 model 3 performance. It hasn't been perfect but only expense has been tires and windshield washer fluid. Range is down about 6% from new. Costs $3 in electricity to go 100 miles (charging at home at night). Probably won't buy another IC vehicle.

odo (resized).jpgodo (resized).jpg
2 months later
#8094 9 months ago
Quoted from Garrett:

No idea, don’t own one.

I own a 2019 model 3 and I don't think gearbox oil is a service item. I have 110,000 miles on mine and this is what I have done.
- 2 sets of tires
- Took car in for trunk release wiring harness recall.
- Filled windshield washer fluid several times.

I can't attest for everyone else but the car has worked out well for me. Battery is at about 92% capacity of new and I see several people on EV forums with the same car still going good at 200K+ miles. It costs about $3 of electricity (charging at night at home at about 12 cents per kwh) to go 100 miles.

I didnt buy this for the environment. Instead I like high tech electric things (like pinball lol) and it is pretty fast (11.5 qtr mile) and not ridiculously heavy (4100 lbs). Of course, since I can be cheap, I also have solar on my home and shop now.

The cars is by no means perfect but I would get another one. And I do like not going to gas stations. The charge time while long distance travelling is definitely longer (up to 30 minutes) than a gas station but I find it tolerable. Currently I wouldn't recommend an EV to someone who can't charge at home or travels over 300 miles a day regularly.

1 week later
#8467 8 months ago
Quoted from Garrett:

Many states are like this, including Michigan.
The Big 3 lobbied those laws decades ago to limit competition.

Not since end 2020....

It has since been a long legal process during which Tesla tried to prove that lawmakers were influenced by car dealers to specifically prevent Tesla to sell vehicles direct to consumers in the state. Earlier this year, Tesla reached a settlement with the state of Michigan to allow direct sales and service of vehicles.Dec 3, 2020

#8584 8 months ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Does anyone have a good breakdown of cost per mile operation cost of EV vs ICE , My gas burners range from 10 to 30 cents fuel cost per mile will EV's come in at 5 to 10 IDK. If the EV's run cheap enough they will take over the roads just by economics alone . If so a guy should load up on EV charging station stock's to hit the jackpot. Any thoughts on BLNK EVGO or CHPT

My model 3 costs $3 in electricity to go 100 miles (at my power cost of 12 cents per kwh). I have solar but didn't factor that in (it is much cheaper).

4 months later
#9244 3 months ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

No anger, just facts. Evs will go the way of the dodo. Tesla had to cut prices 3 times on one quarter just to sell them. Toyota is the biggest car seller in the world and is changing direction. Just another fad that’s going to fade.

You sound so sure - if are right, you can make a fortune shorting Tesla stock. EZ money!

#9246 3 months ago
Quoted from MrBally:

There are still homes in remote areas with only 110/120 volt service. Good luck with the 1 mile range per hour of charging.

Wow I had to look it up and indeed there are some homes with only 110/120. But it seems to be very very rare. Would be a bummer for electric hot water heater, AC, Baseboard heat also. I have charged my car on 120v at 16amps (or even 12 amps) and it is pretty slow but not as slow as 1 mph of charging. IIRC it is more like 8 miles per hour. My X had and EV that she charged only on 120v plug in her garage, since she only drove about 20 miles a day it was fine for her.

#9260 3 months ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I had access to a company pool Tesla 3 dual motor for a few days here n there. On a weeked, I drained the battery and had to charge it at home with the 120 vac cord thingy. In a 20 amp circuit in my garage, I added 16 miles of range in 12 hours. YRMV

Something must have been weird. You can charge at 16amps on a 20 amp circuit (code only allows 80% of rating for continuous use. Tesla automatically does this based on the plug you use). So 16 amps * 120 V = 1920 Watts. Lets say 2kw. A Model 3 uses about 250 watt hour per mile. So you should have been charging at 7 or 8 miles PER HOUR of charging. Even on a standard 15 amp circuit you should get 5 or 6 miles per hour. Slow for sure, but way faster than the 1.3 miles per hour you got.

2 months later
#9820 34 days ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Well all the Musketeers Claim how great, fast, clean and yada yada yada. But when you put a $$$ behind the EV its the ICE cars fault.
new research has shown that EVs because of their weight produce more tire wear pollution. My stepson's Rivian ate a set of tires in 10k miles.
The truth is that affordable EV tech is not quite there yet.

I don't get this tire stat that has been reported lately. A Silverado 2500 weighs about 7000 pounds, A Rivian R1T weighs about 7150. I don't see this as a big deal. A Tesla model 3 with the big battery weighs 4034 and a BMW M3 weighs about 3900.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider michiganpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread?tu=michiganpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.