3%
  • Neutral 95 votes
    19%
  • *I actually like EVs* 269 votes
    55%

(489 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 16-44-36 EV vs. Gas Which Cars Are Cheaper to Own (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 7.44.38?AM (resized).png
IMG_5069 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 8.10.29?AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-17-22 Ford targets Tesla owners with $1 500 EV 'conquest' rebates (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-19-38 Family Own A Tesla Get $1 500 Off A Ford Mustang Mach-E Carscoops (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 11-54-36 Best Solar Generator for Home Backup Power EcoFlow US (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 09-48-53 EcoFlow DELTA Pro 2 × 220W Solar Panel DELTA Pro Extra Battery D - (Members-only) DELTA Pro 2
248edf2c-1a41-4790-a83f-64f0bd20ad95 (resized).png
f285d5d3-ceec-4b7f-a741-0770ba2431ef (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240409_134107.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
200w.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcluvin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#779 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I found out you don't need to find a Supercharger to recharge your Tezla
[quoted image]

If they stole the generator and gas that makes it extremely cost effective. Bonus points if they stole the Tesla….

1 week later
#821 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

one being worked on...So do they have production facilities ??? or are they the Deeproot of EVs ???
[quoted image]

This kinda looks like a Heighway Production Shot.

1 week later
#876 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Disagree, I hate people.

It's all about perspective. When you are sick, mass transit is your opportunity to get lots of other people sick too.

#880 1 year ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

So is going to work, shopping or visiting friends and relatives when you're sick.

Well sure, but I'm trying to talk him into the benefits of mass transit....

#914 1 year ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Throw it in the garbage in a couple of years, when you can't get a battery for it anymore.

Come on now! Don't we all repair pinball machines? This is nothing. You pop the battery open and replace the cells. Easy peasy!

2 weeks later
#1047 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Hell no, those things are like 99 cents.

You are overpaying big time. I wish we had Sheetz at home. I pay $15/month for a fountain drink subscription. You can get a new fountain drink every 2 hours. Stupid cheap! And I drink a lot of Diet Coke. It works out to ~10 to 15 cents per XL cup.

#1081 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

of course it does, you live in one of these [quoted image]

16Kw should easily run everything in the average home.

2 weeks later
#1295 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah it seems pretty nice. I would probably go with the 2023 Bolt EUV, didn't realize it's a mini crossover / SUV. I just extended a truck lease, Tacoma, which is month to month now for 6 months but was debating on buying a 2 year old low mileage RAM for around $35k. This Bolt EUV now has me reconsidering, especially with gas prices.

This is tempting to think about. Are any of you EV owners living in an apartment? How does plugging in overnight work out? Have any of you used Plugshare? My daughter is moving to Austin and she needs a new vehicle. We were kinda leaning Maverick Hybrid or maybe RAV4 Hybrid, but the Bolt at this price point is compelling. There are Plugshare stations all over Austin for free charging as well.

#1325 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

No, not for an hour. 20 mins if 350kW charger, 30-35 mins if 150kW.

If the car is capable. But you don't have to fully charge the battery either. We just naturally think in those terms as ICE owners.

When I'm on a road trip, I'm usually stopping every 125 to 150 miles anyway. A piss break takes 15 minutes unless it is just me in the car.

I started out considering the Bolt and now I want an Ioniq 5 or EV6 (if I can find one and get the tax credit). It's a shame the Bolt can't charge as fast as they can.

#1327 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I think somebody needs to see a urologist

Quoted from mcluvin:

unless it is just me in the car.

Nah, Pokemon playing wife...

#1358 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Spending 60K to replace a 20K car to avoid $5 gas would be straight stupid. You gotta do the math!

Is anyone really doing this? But I am looking at how much we spend on gas each month. I'd say a sub $30K Bolt EUV makes a lot of sense to me. But then I think for maybe $8K more (after tax credit), I can get something that goes further and charges much more quickly, making it also work for trips out of town.

#1422 1 year ago
Quoted from Ribs:

This is all nonsense. The modern automobile is not a marvel of non-polluting technology. I think you inhaled too many petroleum fumes.

And pretty damn inefficient too.

#1427 1 year ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Well we did improve them with this added to the cars.

Catalytic converters reduce efficiency. I'm talking about power not pollutants.

#1430 1 year ago

It's interesting though. Nobody is offering free gas that I'm aware of. But there are plenty of free charging stations. A used EV makes a lot of sense for someone just scraping by.

What's better? $500 in gas every month for my 20 year old, paid-off car, or a $300 payment (for 60 months) on a slightly used Bolt that needs ~$100 worth of electricity (or less) to go the same distance?

#1448 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Back in the 70s and 80s the cigarette companies used to give out FREE samples at: car races, state fairs, concerts,the list goes on.
Why? To get you hooked, addicted, dependant....

I'm already all those things with electricity. Aren't we all? Even when you have to pay for the electricity, it is exponentially cheaper. How is that a bad thing?

Do you ever look at your power bill, where it lists the sources of your energy? Most of mine is natural gas from the good, old US of A. It's not imported, burns cleaner, and is cheap. Why wouldn't I want to utilize that?

Quoted from AlexF:

I guess if you are paying $500 gas in a month it makes sense. Jeez I just filled up my Tacoma and it was $75. It's far from the most efficient vehicle around and that will last me two weeks going to work/back and buzzing around town.

If you don't drive much, yeah, it doesn't make sense.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The 2023 models have a $6300 lower MSRP compared to 2022 models. There’s not a lot of info out for the 2023 models but there is the flyer below that mentions the lower MSRP. Also found the order guide below that shows the different available options.

I've read of folks who were in the process of buying a 2022 who got the dealer to work in the new discounted price. I've also read that it's supposed to be retroactive to the 22s anyway. I'm not sure the 23s are going to get the free home charger install though.

I actually found a Bolt EV on a dealer lot yesterday. It looks nice enough, but not a lot of storage behind those rear seats.

#1452 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Panzer have you driven one yet? I think I read the 0-60 is 7 seconds which is pretty decent...and will feel like more because of the instant torque.

I've read the ride kinda sucks though. This is what kills me, $30K gets you in the door, but $40K gets you so much more in terms of other models. A Lightning Pro is ~$42K. Good luck finding one, but so much more utility / bang for your buck.

#1454 1 year ago

I test drove one of the early models when it first came out and liked it a lot

Did you take it over rough roads, potholes, or train tracks? I mostly like it, but that is a concern I read.

#1462 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

The problem for me with the electric trucks is they don't fit in my garage. Being able to park my vehicle and my wife's van in the garage is crucial, especially with an EV because I'll be charging over night.

There's always the Maverick EV. There are spy photos of it in testing.

#1463 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I did not know GM was installing a 240v outlet for free. I was just looking into this after reading your posts. Did it end in June? I was watching a EUV review video and they mentioned June as a cut off for this.

I'm not sure on that, but if somebody says so, then probably. It isn't rocket science to DIY, but if you need a long run to where you want the outlet, it might be worth it.

#1465 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thanks for the tip on the 2022 free charger installation offer! That's a great point and savings.
I just found a dealer that has a 2022 Bolt EUV with a 2LT trim, not premier but has every package option that I would want. The dealer said they just started taking the $6300 off today. Below is a similar window sticker I found for this confirmation. So $37,080 - $6,300 discount - $3,000 employee discount = $28,280 before taxes + free 240v charger installation. Not bad.
[quoted image]

Truecar is now showing the $6300 discount program on 22s. I configured a maxed out Premier and got this. The last time I tried to use Truecar most of the dealerships didn't have any cars, so no idea how realistic this is.

bolteuv (resized).JPGbolteuv (resized).JPG

#1473 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Well what did your "rocket" cost? Two, three, four times the 4 cyl econobox? Not everbody has a $100-120K for a tezla plaid

What does that have to do with anything? He gets supercar performance and still gets great fuel economy. You don't have to buy a Tesla Plaid for the latter.

Quoted from zaphX:

Here's my log for June so far.

Trending at about .016 cents per mile.

Less than 2 cents per mile. That's crazy good! I wish we had free night plans. I'm guessing that's because the wind turbines are essentially use it or lose it? The best we get here is a $10 credit each month for charging during non-peak hours.

#1543 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

$27k now gets you in the door with a Bolt EV after the recent price decrease. $42k is for a Lightining Pro that has a 230 mile range and a bare number of options. For around $32k you can now buy a loaded Bolt EUV with powered leather seats that are heated / cooled, heated rear seats, a Bose sound system, dual panoramic sunroof, heated leather steering wheel, adaptative cruise control, and wireless Apple / Android auto with wireless charging.
If you want similar features in the F150 Lightning you are going to have to pay $67k+ for the Lariat trim. The F150 Lighting is no doubt cooler IMO but it's also much more expensive at the base price and especially once you start adding options.

It's just that most of that extra stuff I don't really care about. I have heated seats and a sunroof now. I really don't use them. I would use the faster charge rate and that makes the slightly lower range easier to deal with. I would use the truck bed and towing ability. The Lightning also qualifies for the $7,500 tax credit, so not as big of a price diff as you think for the features I care about.

The 50kW charge rate is the main thing holding me back from buying one for my daughter. Living in my home, I can deal with the charge rate, other than out of town trips. Living in an apartment, not knowing how convenient charging is going to be for her, it's a gamble.

#1546 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The $7,500 tax credit for Lighting orders is sadly long gone (unless you preordered early, wish I did!) as it's capped at the first 200,000 EV vehicles sold by a manufacturer.

I believe there is talk of raising those caps and even the amount of the credit, but no guarantees. If the Bolt works for you, and you need something now, then by all means do it. If the 300 mile range $30K Equinox EV with the Ultium tech was available now, I'd be a buyer for sure. It's a real SUV and addresses all my concerns. Can I wait a year? Yeah...

#1578 1 year ago

I didn't realize the BZ4X was already available for sale. Have any of you seen one in the wild? I think I prefer when manufacturers take their already popular ICE models and make an EV variant though.

bz4x (resized).JPGbz4x (resized).JPG

#1581 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Toyoda: Starting at $42,000 * 2023 bZ4X currently available in select states only and in extremely limited quantities. Contact your Toyota dealer for availability details.⁠
Who in their right mind installs a charging station in front of the front doors?
The driveway once used for dropping off and picking up passengers is now a chargeway!
I doubt if the fire department would approve of this set up, block access for first responders.
Honsetly I did not make this up! it is from the toyoda web page: https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/bz4x/ scroll down to "performance"
[quoted image]

It's a collab with Subaru. Subaru's version is all-wheel drive only and starts for just a couple grand more. Probably more likely to get the Federal Credit via Subaru as well.

Interestingly, Honda's Prologue SUV will be built on a GM Ultium Platform. The Japanese Automakers really dropped the ball with the EV stuff.

#1586 1 year ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

At least we aren't a third rate country have you seen India? [quoted image]

If they plug another line into here, I bet they could run their dryer and water heater...

240 (resized).JPG240 (resized).JPG

#1600 1 year ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I looked at your location and living in Michigan as you are I was once up there during winter time and believe me those in the backseats want them heated.

The question is what pin is that in the back? Also does it convert into a boat between the North and South islands? I don't think they have built a bridge yet or have they?
As for electric vs. ice it's what I hear all the time. Location, location, location as have you checked the gas (petrol) prices in some of these countries? Takes me way back in some of them. This is posted for 2022 prices. But I think they might be a month or two old.
1. Venezuela .08
2. Libya .12
3. Iran .20
4. Syria $1.08
5. Algeria $1.19
6. Kuwait $1.29
7. Angola $1.41
8. Nigeria $1.57
9. Turkmenistan $1.62
10. Malaysia $1.76

Those prices don't account for the tax you have to pay the local militia to get to the gas station and back.

#1610 1 year ago

Apparently, making safe, reliable batteries is hard....

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/ford-issues-stop-sale-mustang-mach-e-recall.html

#1613 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Yeah, I'd fix that. No new tech doesn't come without teething problems, just as long as nobody is getting hurt while those bugs are ironed out.

I agree. It's just that there seems to be a lot of it lately.

Quoted from bob_e:

Phantom braking in a tezla has killed one driver already. It was posted here some time ago, with link to the news article. Another issue reported was the passengers being trapped inside after power failure and battery fire.

Break the window? What is especially egregious with Tesla is the report that accidents where Autopilot was automatically turned off just prior to impact were not counted as Autopilot Related Accidents.

"The new data set stems from a federal order last summer requiring automakers to report crashes involving driver assistance to assess whether the technology presented safety risks. Tesla‘s vehicles have been found to shut off the advanced driver-assistance system, Autopilot, around one second before impact, according to the regulators.

The NHTSA order required manufacturers to disclose crashes where the software was in use within 30 seconds of the crash, in part to mitigate the concern that manufacturers would hide crashes by claiming the software wasn’t in use at the time of the impact."

#1627 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Happy to see we can all have a sense of humor about things, regardless of the side of the fence we are on.
Not actually the stereotype that comes to mind when I think of EV owners, but has to be a little truth to it.

50+ MPG in a Jeep 4XE should make an EV believer out of anybody...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tesla-cybertruck/page/19#post-6982301

1 week later
#1874 1 year ago

If Chevy really does come out with a 300 mile range Equinox EV with an adequate Level 3 charging rate for ~$30K, I'm going to be all over that. You naysayers keep worrying about tripping over extension cords. I'll have a better chance of actually finding one.

#1918 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

yes, they are trying to:

If anyone is trying anything, I'm really scratching my head why Facebook suggests posts for me by some Boss Hogg looking f'er saying "The same folks telling ya to adjust your thermostat up want you to buy an EV." or something to that effect.

Yeah "they" are definitely trying to steer a certain agenda with a certain crowd. I just ain't that crowd.

#1931 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Forcing people won't work and will make people resentful.
Building out the charger infrastructure, having lots of choice in the EV market and having cars that drive better than ICE is the way.
If EVs truly do work out better for consumers than ICE, consumers will shift on their own.
I remember when CDs came out there was much whining about the death of the LP, but most consumers (once they tried them) agreed the benefits were there. And LPs made a resurgence for hipsters and purists, so there's room for everyone's personal choice.

I think more needs to be done to address all these folks injuring themselves tripping over EV charging cords.

#1935 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Yes, and the British crown found that out about 250 years ago. Tea anyone?

Can any Norwegians please chime in and share the difficulties you've endured as a result of your country forcing you to buy an EV? Is there an Anti-EV Rebellion in the works?

evownership (resized).JPGevownership (resized).JPG

#1952 1 year ago

Sounds like a shitty place to live

Those top 4 are about as opposite of shi*hole as you can get.

#1962 1 year ago

So anyway, this looks pretty sweet! I'm guessing it won't be the $40K version??

blazerev (resized).PNGblazerev (resized).PNG

#2025 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:Wrong, I want to live there and now do.

Green Valley Ranch is nice…

#2052 1 year ago

Currently vaporware, but it will be a game changer at less than 2kWh/mile.

#2067 1 year ago

Targeted ads (on Facebook) are really pushing the EV hate lately.

#2079 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Tell me about it. Every single time an EV article gets posted, the boomers come out with their slew of anti-EV talking points.
It really boggles my mind why they are so afraid of them. Just ignore them if you don't want one!

I think there's at least a few countries and companies that don't want to see folks using energy more efficiently. They run their influence campaigns and we get slammed with the BS on Facebook and alternate news sources.

#2122 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Wow, that rate. $0.105705
I am at more than triple that at $0.36 in the Tier 2 that I fall into. Not sure exactly how adding an EV would affect this, or possibly move it to the max of $0.45, 4 times your cost! This is from my June bill.
[quoted image]
There are quite a few EVs in my neighborhood (almost all Tesla), I would like to get a look at what their bill looks like, I know a few enough to say hi but not well enough to ask them to show me their electrical bill
If I multiply your home charging cost by 3.4 unless I am mistaken that takes the total cost per mile up to 13.6 cents. Ouch, I wonder if that's the real penalty for living in CA, or if something is amiss somewhere in these calculations.

$0.21 per kWh to charge your EV overnight and early morning. You have all kinds of potential rebates for purchasing an EV and even retiring an ICE vehicle.

#2157 1 year ago

As someone who turns the wrench myself for all our cars, and we drive them until the wheels fall off, I look forward to the simplicity of owning EVs. I'm trying to get my daughter's Corolla ready for a trip out of state and I probably won't be seeing this car again. 200K+ miles. I've replaced practically every f'n gasket on it. All the oil leaks are gone, for now. Today I replaced the intake gasket, cleaned the MAF and throttle. Now I've got a high idle, even after a throttle relearn. Probably a vacuum leak somewhere. So much fun! Electric motors are low maintenance and extremely reliable. I welcome it and the time it will free up. When I think about all that maintenance I'm not going to have to do, swapping that expensive EV battery out when the time comes ain't gonna be so bad.

#2175 1 year ago
Quoted from Ribs:

If some random site called TeslaDeaths is accurate, there have been 281 Tesla crash deaths of which 15 were autopilot related, total since 2013.

Regulators figured out Tesla was turning off Autopilot 1 second before the crash and not reporting them as Autopilot related. Here's an excerpt from a Washington Post article from last month...

"Tesla vehicles running its Autopilot software have been involved in 273 reported crashes over roughly the past year, according to regulators, far more than previously known and providing concrete evidence regarding the real-world performance of its futuristic features."

#2252 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Congrats, more power to you. I’m just jealous.

I'm jealous of that lift...

#2274 1 year ago

You can find refurbished Prius batteries all day long for a reasonable price. Not so with the Ford Focus EV. $14K for the battery alone, if they could even get it.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/local/electric-car-battery-replacement-costs-more-than-car/67-46243c70-124b-43e9-9a6e-fca01dc40cc4

#2276 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Not a rider, but bought a battery powered mower last summer and I love it. Should have bought one sooner. It helps that I've kept to same brand as my other battery powered yard equipment so batteries are interchangeable.

I did the same. I figured if it sucked I'd still have gotten 2 good batteries out of it for my other tools. It mows everything I've tried, even partial woods. It is very light though and if you get in bumpy terrain it has a tendency to hop and cut unevenly if you go too fast.

1 week later
#2383 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Not with Tesla, they want the car back after the lease is over, hint hint if you’re a buyer.

They'd definitely like to get this one back.

teslacrash (resized).PNGteslacrash (resized).PNG

#2415 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I still have my F150 Lightning reservation just for fun to see what happens, but I doubt I'll be buying one in the near future. The Tahoe is such a great vehicle for any usage.

Considering what Mavericks are going for, I doubt you'd lose money if you flipped it.

#2418 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I don't crap on people who like gas. I'm a car person, I GET IT. I understand the love of a good exhaust note.

I don't really get the impression that's what it's about with these folks...

#2460 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

I couldn't believe how fast my S and X's ate tires, most I could get out of a set on my X was 14-15K miles (yes it was properly aligned and all of that).

This is a real thing with lots of folks bitching about it on Tesla forums. I read a post where a Tesla owner's buddy (who owns a suspension shop) fixed his with some sort of adjustable suspension part.

I rarely get full warrantied miles out of a set of tires on my ICE vehicles. It's important to rotate regularly and use a good shop that will get you a warranty credit on a new set of tires (as long as they have worn evenly).

#2534 1 year ago

In other news Toyota is offering to buy back BZ4Xs because of a loose bolt in the wheel hub and GM is offering a few grand cash back on the Bolt if you give them legal immunity. This should instill confidence???

https://www.autoweek.com/news/industry-news/a40807209/toyota-willing-to-buy-back-recalled-bz4x-ev-models/

https://www.motortrend.com/news/chevy-bolt-ev-euv-rebate-gm-legal-immunity/

#2536 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Sure looks like a move that builds confidence in buying toyotas… considering they give both remedies and even a full out…. Proactively.

Yeah, I guess so. Chevy not so much...

#2556 1 year ago

Do you folks with EVs buy the special EV rated tires or just go by size?

#2572 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

There aren't really any "EV rated tires" in that there are but it's really around rolling resistance and foam insulation inside the tire to reduce road noise. However, to answer your question, yes we always replaced our Tesla tires with "EV rated tires" because of both mentioned qualities.
Jeff

There is also the XL designation for extra load, though yeah that's not EV exclusive. I checked a couple tire websites. When searching for OEM replacement Mach E tires which are XL rated, Discount Tire shows only XL rated tires. Sams Club also shows non-XL rated. I wonder how many EV folks are driving around on non-XL tires?

1 week later
#2766 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I read the Kone Balona can get 600 miles of a single charge. ( at a speed of 20 mph ) but still its 600 miles

That's terrible! How about the Konalingus or the Konta? Come on Bob-E! They say that Fox News is gonna rot your brain and you are proving them right...

#2803 1 year ago

So now that there will be a new EV incentive, I expect the Chevy Bolt will go back up ~$7,500 at the beginning of the year.

#2806 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

$7500 dollar question, Should I cancel my Tesla order and buy the one that qualifies (next year) or accept the Tesla that will be available for me next month?

I'd sure try and figure out a way to get that $7,500 if I could swing it. Tesla may raise their prices too though.

#2810 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Far as I know, the Y is the only Tesla eligible and it must be delivered in 2023. Who knows? Tesla 3 doesn’t qualify because it either goes over the $55k or the battery comes from China (std model).

My understanding is the new incentive is effective 1/1/23.

#2883 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

So I guess its come up with $20k early next year and take advantage of the $7500 tax credit, Model Y looks likes my best option. Kinda like the looks of the 3 more.

I believe the new $7500 incentive will be credited immediately during purchase.

#2910 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I pointed this out and was told that gas stations weren’t available when cars first came out so that makes it ok

Check out "The Cars that Built the World" on History. In the old days you got your gas from the local hardware store. If it wasn't open, you had to go find the owner.

#3024 1 year ago

I guess Ford decided they should be the ones to get that EV credit, not the consumer...

evcredit (resized).PNGevcredit (resized).PNG

#3245 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Yikes if true[quoted image]

Yeah, I'd go here before I'd do that...

cvolt (resized).PNGcvolt (resized).PNG

#3251 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

"The battery was expensive in this case because it was discontinued and had to be bought at a high cost from a third-party supplier."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2022/08/30/fact-check-dealer-gave-30-000-estimate-replace-volt-battery-electric-car-hybrid/7935230001/

And quite frankly it's the price of a brand new Chevy Bolt or a really nice Ford Maverick. Why would anyone actually follow through with that purchase out of their own pocket?

#3270 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I take it you never visited LA in the 70's ?
[quoted image]
California emission standards do a great job in those very dense population areas

Parts of New Jersey still look like that.

1 week later
#3390 1 year ago

How did they fare in that war?

They made out pretty well…

List of sovereign states in Europe by GDP (nomina… (resized).pngList of sovereign states in Europe by GDP (nomina… (resized).png

3 months later
#5031 1 year ago

<block quote cite="#7325225">You say that...once you're used to it, it becomes addictive. All other cars feel like they are standing still.
Now, I don't do full sport+ mode launch controls on the daily...but standing starts from every stoplight? Absolutely.
The instant power+torque is what makes these things so special, IMO.

You must like buying new tires often…

#5034 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yep every 10K or so.
Though the last set of Michelin PS4S on the prior car was still great 11K in.

So toss any notion of economy out the window if you are buying a new set of tires every 10K or so….

My last set of Michelins for a Honda Civic was damn near $800 installed.

1 month later
#5562 1 year ago

Have any of you been able to checkout a new 2023 Prius yet? I actually like the look of it.

1 week later
#5632 1 year ago

Have any of you folks bought a cheap hybrid with a bad battery pack and replaced the bad cells yourself?

3 weeks later
#5858 1 year ago

I was clued into this while researching the Prius. They and I'm sure other EVs are very popular with people who regularly ride the Galveston Ferry because you can run the AC while the engine is off and it gets real hot in Texas. Campers like them too for that fact.

https://www.reddit.com/r/priusdwellers/comments/qzbssy/how_well_does_the_prius_climate_control_handle/

#5868 1 year ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

Yes. Here is my most recent submission.
[quoted image]

I gather you've never had to shovel coal into a pale and then bring it into your home to feed a coal stove to keep warm? I have and it sucks. It's incredibly inefficient. It's kinda the same idea. Let them burn it there, or whatever else means (hopefully) to make power, and I'll use electricity to warm/cool my home. They don't drive it to the power station with semis either. They use rail. It's more efficient.

#5873 1 year ago

your taxes pay for a crap load of other stuff you personally don't use

My FIL felt very strongly that only folks with kids should pay taxes to support public schools. That's what you are dealing with, though I also believe there is a lot of waste in government.

#5881 1 year ago

I think the humor of the post is lost in translation.

I get the logic of the meme. If the source is still dirty, how is an EV any better? It's just flawed logic. Most EV owners know the source of that power is still dirty a lot of the time, and that lithiom-ion is not ideal. Ultimately though, it's a step in the right direction.

I can't wait to see the meme's when sodium-ion batteries start to be a thing in EVs. It's coming...

Quoted from MrBally:

I'm a young BOOMER! I only had to transfer coal by the shovel full from the coal bin to the Stoker to heat the house via boiler/steam furnace.

Yer just bragging This is what we used and boy that house would be cold in the morning if somebody didn't get up and put more coal in the stove.

coal (resized).PNGcoal (resized).PNG

#5885 1 year ago

Look past the meme, and read the text and quote.

Doh Gotcha! My bad...

#5887 1 year ago

gave me a good chuckle how far you ran with that though. Made my afternoon.

Been pressure washing my drive way all day. I've got sun delirium. Must remember I'm in the I Hate EVs thread...

With a GAS pressure washer

#5893 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

It was covered a few pages ago (and probably a dozen other times in this thread). Because it’s so efficient it is better even if powered from a dirty grid. Just Google for the details.

I see what you are trying to do.

1 week later
#6164 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

They suggested that people charge during off peak hours.

They tell me to turn off my AC during peak hours. It doesn't mean I'm doing it, and it doesn't mean the grid can't handle it. It does mean a certain percentage of folks are gonna be hot because they agreed to that power management program for a few measley bucks each month.

#6175 1 year ago

If you have a smart thermostat, odds are they are throttling it back for you. That was a huge surprise for some folks in Texas.

Not happening here yet. I can set it to 65 when it is 90+ outside. It will try to get there without interuption, but never does. I'm single pane and just a little too far north for that awesome window subsidy available in my state.

#6180 1 year ago

Why limit the subsidy? If it’s beneficial then all should get it regardless. Especially if you are single pane glass.

The subsidy is all about wind speed. It's not about energy efficiency. It's for hurricane protection. The byproduct is the opportunity to upgrade to energy efficient windows for ~$10K less than otherwise...

#6182 1 year ago

Wouldn’t it make more sense to subsidize storm shutters then?

The storm shutter lobbyists aren't so well funded these days. The double-pane, hurricane resistant window folks are though...

#6190 1 year ago

Too bad tearing into a Tesla battery is not easy. You could prob just replace the bad cells.

#6201 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:150k / 15 years - isn’t that about the average car life today before major problems show up? Outside of really well built cars before the 1980’s that is.

Hell no! Got a 2012 CR-V with 260k miles still going strong. It eats right CV axles every 100k miles though. Otherwise nothing major….

#6203 1 year ago

Asymmetrical shafts?

Yep!

#6205 1 year ago

Everytime. Without fail. No matter who makes them.

I used to have a local who would rebuild them for $100. He got out of it though. Honda is very proud of their CV Axles. Aftermarkets suck. I need to learn how to rebuild them myself.

#6211 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

Well… that’s kind of what I was saying. Replacing axles isn’t a $15k battery, but not an air filter or spark plug repair either. Going in the shop for something major every 150k seems to be the norm for todays cars.
Sidebar - I bet you could get those axles rebuilt yourself.

I forgot, also replaced the starter at about that point. Replacing the starter in a CR-V is not easy, but I rebuilt it with a $12 kit. The dealer will bend you over if you have them do it.

I’ve got plenty of repairable axles to experiment with. That’s for sure.

2 weeks later
#6432 11 months ago
Quoted from ZNET:

In 2005, the Ioniq 5 is scheduled to sport an incredible "crab parking" feature, which enables horizontal movement. Amazing!

That is cool! Did they ever add a rear wiper?

#6470 11 months ago
Quoted from ZNET:

Incidentally, the matte gray exterior paint selection on the Ioniq 5 is a $1K feature and that paint choice requires hand-wash only.

I bet the body shops have fun trying to match that paint.

Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Yeah, lower priced (maybe even used) EV. I'll never purchase a model 3 performance new.

I'm not an EV customer unless they are similarly priced to an ICE counterpart. That'll be a while, I think. If ever.

It's getting there. Model Y is real close to a RAV4 Prime. Cheaper if you factor the tax credit. Granted a RAV4 Prime is a hybrid.

#6486 11 months ago
Quoted from tripplett:

Apparently it had nothing to do with the chargers or the cars. Both men were armed and had an unrelated altercation.
Just shows how fast people, even myself, can jump to a conclusion when a hot topic like EVs are involved.
https://twitter.com/bayanwang/status/1653905096865112065?s=20

I figured it was 2 ICE bubba trucks fighting over the last charging spot...

3 weeks later
#6685 10 months ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Did anyone watch Rich Rebuilds video today? His Rivian barely tagged in the back is a $30K body job. I would imagine insurance on Rivians is crazy high, but when you know the repair costs, not crazy from insurance company POV.

It's shocking what kind of negligible appearing damage will total a Maverick. Check this out. Totalled for a fender-bender and there are many examples...

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/my-maverick-now-has-salvage-surname.30742/

#6696 10 months ago

There's a guy on the Maverick forums who's Ecoboost Maverick had an engine fire and burned up. He should have got it towed once the check engine light started blinking and he saw oil all over the engine and hood. Instead he tried to limp it home and that's when it caught fire. Makes me wonder how many of these fires are user error?

#6716 10 months ago
Quoted from MrBally:

A buddy in Germany just ordered a new A6 to replace his five year old one. Twelve month lead time for vehicles with the twin turbo six zylinder. Fortunately, I only had to wait a few months for mine. What a machine.....[quoted image][quoted image]

Well at least the MAF is gonna be easy to replace. It does look nice!

1 week later
#6733 10 months ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Considering the 2024 Chevy Blazer. Any thoughts/insights?

Get an Equinox EV. Much cheaper...

#6735 10 months ago

Are they even available yet?

Fall 2023.

#6739 10 months ago

Volvo is now taking reservations on the EX30. No dealer BS to deal with either. I don't think a pin is gonna fit in that one though.

https://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/ex30-electric/features/

#6783 10 months ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

What conspiracies have we fallen for?

That you can be anonymous and ungovernable. I assure you none of us are either of those things

#6864 10 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's a little badass for sure.
The Mach-E Mustang was kicking quick with it's 3.7sec 0-60 (quicker than 99% of all the mustangs ever made), but the EX30 tromps that for a lot less money.

Except you don’t really want to be using that acceleration unless you like buying new tires often.

#6871 10 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

It’s worth it.

For the average driver, it's not. I'm sure you aren't average, but I like my tires to last awhile...

#6886 10 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Talk about Mandates for the masses:
The EU rules that all cellphones, tablets, cameras, BT speakers and other portable devices must have user replaceable batteries
Fnck yeah!
https://www.pcmag.com/news/eu-smartphones-must-have-user-replaceable-batteries-by-2027

Meanwhile in 'Merica...

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/06/17/ron-desantis-signed-a-bill-banning-direct-to-consumer-car-sales-in-florida-except-for-tesla/

#6909 10 months ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Go back to helping people with pinball Vid, like before you disappeared for over a year then came back with an entirely different personality.

Yeah Vid! A certain sort liked you a lot better when you were off your meds

#6920 10 months ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

I don’t need to go to China to know that your regurgitating communist propaganda. No fucking way the Chinese are cutting back on coal plants. Seriously bro

Every country with the means plans for the shi* hits the fan scenario. Energy crises are bad. If you have coal deposits, you build coal plants, just in case.

Germany is doing it too, or at least not proceeding with planned shutdowns. Cпасибо дедушка!

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/27/1124448463/germany-coal-energy-crisis

#6958 10 months ago

Whoah. Step back from the keyboard.

The fumes were especially strong today I see

#6959 10 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The Department Of Energy says 30% of renewables is hydro, but whatever, the USA is way behind.
https://www.energy.gov/eere/water/hydropower-basics

The US is waiting for climate change to settle in before we start building any new dams. Lots of dams underperforming right now. Now windmills on cars? That's a "clever" idea! A couple of knuckles came off the ground with that one, but then he lost his balance and fell flat on his face.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2022-10-26/drought-from-china-to-us-hits-hydro-dams-slashing-the-top-clean-energy-source

1 month later
#8328 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The weak minded will be terrified, because they are people who can never adapt to complete a task.

They did a pretty good job of making Modelo (brewed only in Mexico) the #1 selling beer in the US. Muchas gracias imbeciles!

These are the folks they are really sticking it to.

https://www.anheuser-busch.com/thats-who-we-are

Is that fellow who wanted to put a windmill on an EV to power it still around?

#8381 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I know you're being sarcastic, but for the others who never know what's going on in the real world - almost all the insurance companies have left Florida this year, including the largest.
https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/2023/07/11/farmers-insurance-florida-leaving-hurricanes-insolvent/

I've made 1 claim in 23 years and got dropped this year. To keep my premium just slightly more than last year (which was a 60% increase itself), I've gone from a $1K deductible to a nearly $8K deductible and am glad to even be able to get that. Lot's of folks are even getting dropped by Citizens. That's the state-run insurer (last resort).

#8424 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I have no idea, but it seemed like a wholesome name.

Are you Adam Sandler's Charlie Murphy?

1 week later
#8601 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'm not a US citizen, so I have no idea who these people are.

Quoted from vid1900:

The USA is the largest oil producer in the world.

But the less we use at home, the lower the global price becomes, and that really hurts countries that have no other products to export.

Oh, I see...

#8617 8 months ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Actually, the majority of trips taken by Americans are very short trips (2-3 miles).

Not in my neck of the woods...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcluvin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread?tu=mcluvin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.