IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2306 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2355 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2384 (resized).jpeg
Bloody Hell (resized).png
IMG_6441 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 12.40.13?PM (resized).png
truck  (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 20-43-13 Ohio just voted to legalize recreational marijuana. See a list of every state where cannabis i
IMG_20240304_193126.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 21-55-03 Shell to close 1 000 gas stations globally focus on EV charging (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 17-01-33 A coal billionaire is building the world’s biggest clean energy plant and it’s five times the
f-150-lightning-switchgear-40-65a81a0876c32 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mattosborn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#178 2 years ago

I don't drive an EV to save the planet.... I drive one because it's a blast to drive, and it's saving me money. It's the most reliable car I've ever owned. Practically zero maintenance. I will never buy a new ICE car again.

1 week later
#471 2 years ago

C'mon now... hydrogen transportation has been around for quite a while!
Hindenburg (resized).jpgHindenburg (resized).jpg

2 months later
#1208 1 year ago

My home charger cost me nothing. And my "refueling" time (for overnight charging to 100%) is around 6 seconds a day, as that is all the time it takes to plug it in when I get home and to unplug it before I leave in the morning.

#1268 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I am going to start telling everyone my phone charge time 2 seconds. What other overnight appliances should I report only take seconds? dish washer, clothes dryer..
If I don't post again, assume they had me infirmed.

I said nothing about charge time. My personal time expended on "refueling" is 6 seconds a day. That is all I'm saying.
My charge time is overnight. How long that actually takes makes no difference to me. I installed a 220V outlet so I could charge faster if I had to, but I don't really need it. The way I use the car, I could charge at 110V and my "tank" would be full every morning.

2 weeks later
#1721 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

And the radio doesn't run off the HV battery it runs off the 12v battery.

True, the radio does run off the 12V battery. But the 12V battery stays charged via an alternator. The alternator is driven by the motion of the car, which of course is powered by the HV battery. So the radio (and anything else electronic in the vehicle) is ultimately powered by the main battery. Does that have any significant impact on range? Probably not, unless you're cranking a huge subwoofer amp.

#1812 1 year ago

I would like to thank mrm_4 for solving the world's energy problems. Dude, you're a genius! Can you work on world hunger next?

#1933 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I'd change that to Americans, no other country had the kind of illogical and anti-science pushback we saw during the lockdown.

No other country? Clearly you're forgetting about the continent of Africa.... vaccine hesitancy/rejection is still extremely high in most of those countries.
Sorry for the thread derail... back to hating on EV's!

#1987 1 year ago
Quoted from DCRand:

I have a Volt hybrid. Sadly not made any more. But electric power to the wheels pretty much all the time, with basically a "Chevy (rather than Honda) generator" for a gas engine. Never going to be considered a sports car. But plenty quick, and have had it over 100mph with pedal left.

Don’t know what version you have, but my 2nd gen (2017) Volt has a governor… it won’t let me go over 101 mph. That doesn’t bother me, as there’s no good reason to go that fast anyway. It’s pretty darn quick off the line though. Fun to drive.

3 weeks later
#2325 1 year ago

I have a GM EV, and I charge it to "100%" every night. Been doing that for 5 years now. No damage that I am aware of.

2 months later
#3844 1 year ago

You EV haters are gonna love this....
I own a 2017 Chevy Volt. Some call it a "hybrid" (it has a small ICE that serves a generator, if you run out of battery), but I run it almost exclusively in electric-only mode. Has enough range to get me back and forth to work.
It's fun to drive, saves me money, and it's been the most problem-free car I've ever owned. Until now.
Last week it stopped working. Refused to shift into gear. Seemed to think it had no battery capacity left, even though it was almost fully charged. Backup ICE refused to turn on as well (it depends on having the battery available). Had to have it towed to the dealership.
Dealership says it has a bad high-voltage battery control module. The battery system has an 8-year warrantee (it's been ~6 years), so no big deal, right? Well, they say they currently can't get the control module from GM (supply chain issues I assume). So now it just sits on the lot waiting indefinitely. Apparently they have another one there waiting on the same thing (that's been there several weeks already).

1 month later
#4446 1 year ago

If you’re an owner of a 2nd gen Chevy Volt, you should be aware of this:

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2022/chevy-volt-battery-energy-control-module-lawsuit-.shtml

2 weeks later
#4648 1 year ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

As long as we're discussing time comparisons here, it should be noted that there is a time cost to repairing issues that come up with an ICE vehicle. Scheduling appointments, dropping off the vehicle, (sometimes) waiting on-site for repair, picking up said vehicle, getting towed (due to engine failure), waiting for tow, etc.
The "time" invested in maintenance and repair on an ICE vehicle is a fair bit more than an EV.

I generally agree with the lower maintenance cost (time and money) with an EV. However... my EV has been sitting at the dealership (had to have it towed there) for over 2 months now waiting for a new battery control module that they can't seem to get. If/when your EV does have a major malfunction, the time and cost can be considerably higher. Luckily the warranty on my battery system is 8 years (I'm 6 years in), so no monetary cost to me (except that I'm wasting money buying gas for my other car now). But the time cost is huge. That will eventually change, but right now that is the reality. The other problem is that there are not enough people qualified to work on EVs yet. Of course, that will also change. EVs are the future. But being an early adopter comes with some risk and pain.

#4726 1 year ago

As to your assertion that EV's fail in a "more expensive" fashion, I'd like more data on that.

I merely said that they CAN be more expensive. Most obvious example being a failed main battery out of warranty. People have shared some rather ridiculous replacement quotes from dealerships (who clearly don't want to do the work). Even a "reasonable" quote can still be several thousand dollars. I can't think of any ICE repair that compares to that in cost (besides some foreign/exotic car).

To be fair, if an EV battery died after 10 years and/or ~250K miles, and I could get it replaced for under $10K, that seems entirely reasonable assuming that I could get another 10 years out of the car.

#4730 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

We are getting a charger installed by the local power company. You pay $31 a month and you get unlimited charging at home, the charger is programmed to operate and charge at night when it's not peak hours. So come home, plug in, and overnight its ready to go all for one monthly price.

Interesting model. Seems like a decent deal. I suppose it depends on rates in your area. The "unlimited" part seems a bit disingenuous, as the time frame and rate of charge is limited/known, so there is a maximum amount of power that can be drawn per month (which obviously factors into the rate they came up with). It will be interesting to see what your average monthly kWh turns out to be. You'll probably start taking extra trips with the EV just to maximize your deal!

#4744 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

It has to be "alleged" until the person is formerly named a suspect and/or indicted, and "suspected" until the person is finally convicted. Gotta avoid those lawsuits.

I still find it annoying when a news reporter refers to the "alleged" perpetrator, even when they have video showing them committing the crime.

#4748 1 year ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

You EV haters are gonna love this....
I own a 2017 Chevy Volt. Some call it a "hybrid" (it has a small ICE that serves a generator, if you run out of battery), but I run it almost exclusively in electric-only mode. Has enough range to get me back and forth to work.
It's fun to drive, saves me money, and it's been the most problem-free car I've ever owned. Until now.
Last week it stopped working. Refused to shift into gear. Seemed to think it had no battery capacity left, even though it was almost fully charged. Backup ICE refused to turn on as well (it depends on having the battery available). Had to have it towed to the dealership.
Dealership says it has a bad high-voltage battery control module. The battery system has an 8-year warrantee (it's been ~6 years), so no big deal, right? Well, they say they currently can't get the control module from GM (supply chain issues I assume). So now it just sits on the lot waiting indefinitely. Apparently they have another one there waiting on the same thing (that's been there several weeks already).

Just to follow up, I finally have my car back! Took 9 weeks to get the part needed. I suppose it could have been a lot worse.
Now my gas-guzzling Cadillac can now go back to being my backup car.

#4750 1 year ago
Quoted from usandthem:

They should tack another 9 weeks into your warranty after all that. Did they at least give you a loaner?

Nope. No loaner cars available, all in use according to them. They put me on the "waitlist" (along with many others apparently), but I don't think I came close. Not a big deal for me since I have more cars. But imagine if it were your only car... that would suck, and I'd be pissed!

6 months later
#6862 9 months ago

derpy derp derp fart noise derpderpy derp derp fart noise derp

#7008 9 months ago
Quoted from Ribs:

If you're interested in freedom, check out an e-bike.

Is it time to start an "I hate EBs" thread?

#7018 9 months ago
Quoted from Strummy:

And I think we all are here because we have the same opinion about liking pinball.

Some people might enjoy pinball more if it ran on gas....

#7023 9 months ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

Mine run of off NG and coal already.

Mine have windmill toppers.

#7123 9 months ago

Hey, I haven't seen any talk here about this EV yet:

OnewheelOnewheel

https://onewheel.com

I've got three of these Onewheels now. They're a blast!
The GT can go 30+ miles on a charge.

2 weeks later
#7814 8 months ago
Quoted from PBhead:

Batteries are just the current step, all that EV infrastructure will become a waste. Everything will be hydrogen eventually

For fusion? Yes, eventually.

Gasoline stations will become a waste eventually too. Just like all the infrastructure that was established to feed all the horses and deal with the manure. All gone now.

#7992 8 months ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

You can still buy a new horse today and use it all you want. You won't be able to buy new ICE in the future, see the difference? No one is stopping you from using a horse if you want to today.

Hard to halt production on the horse....
Just because they won't be making new ICE cars doesn't mean you can't use them. No one is stopping you from using a steam-powered car either, and those haven't been made for a long time.

1 week later
#8545 7 months ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

I didn’t specify automatic standby or portable generator. I’m talking about portable.
I’m not joking.
I always carry a 5500 watt Honda Generator and a full 5 gallon gas can in my work truck. It’s powerful enough to run a Lg rotary hammer drill or electric jackhammer for about 6-8 hours.
Almost every subcontractor that I’ve dealt with over the last 30 years has had a 3000 watt or 3500watt generator. It’s easily the most common portable contractor/homeowner size.

With your 5500W generator, I could charge my car (2017 Chevy Volt, ~50 mile range) in under 5 hours. That's L2 charging at 3.6kW rate. I think the last version of the Volt could do 7.2kW charging, so that would cut the time in half (but you'd need a better generator).

#8656 7 months ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

I'd rather go to a gas station, absolutely not out of the way, I pass at least 6 each way going to and from work that require turning directly into them from the street I'm already on, once a week for 2 minutes than have to wait 12 hours every night while it drips full. The lack of a wait is the benefit.

Even if the slow-drip costs you half as much? Seems silly not to take advantage of that....

#8667 7 months ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Having to stop at a gas station is MORE convenient than having your vehicle fill up at home?
You'd rather have to stop and fill up vs just having a full tank of gas every AM?
Ok. To each their own.

Maybe he's there for the lot lizards?

2 months later
#9090 4 months ago

Chevy is bringing back the Volt! Great car. BEST of both worlds.

#9100 4 months ago

Yeah, no way I'd consider a vehicle that has both an ICE and electric inside. That's just dumb. Why add MORE complexity and MORE parts to service?

I’ve owned a Chevy Volt for over 7 years now. The backup gas engine gets very little use. As for maintenance, I change the oil every ~18 months. That’s it.

2 months later
#9269 77 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

73% of EV owners have never used a public charger.

And the only times I've used public chargers was when they were free (at municipal buildings, restaurants, hotels, and parking garages). Now, I know a lot of this free charging will likely go away eventually. But tell me, when have you seen anyone giving away FREE gasoline?

4 weeks later
#9542 47 days ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

A reporter from Toronto showed a quote for installation of a level 2 charger for his residence at 16000 on top of the car price. That’s a vehicle for most of us plebs.

That's around 20x what it should cost. Was the story about crooked electricians?

#9548 47 days ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Don't forget about the constant 32 Amps your level 2 charger draws to keep your car going. Equivalent to running a dryer for as long as it is drawing power. Electricians I work with are saying electric bills are 7-800 per month whereas normally they are in the 3-400 range.

More fucking nonsense. My electric bill went up maybe $40 a month. Far less than what I was paying for gas.

#9551 47 days ago
Quoted from HobbyGuy:

Which, of course, is just a bunch of lies. The average cost of installing an at home charging station runs between 1000-2500, and that's before rebates and discounts.

And if you’re not afraid to put in a 220V outlet yourself, you can buy and install an L2 charger for under $200. My car came with a charger, so I just had to put in an outlet, which cost me maybe $30.

#9609 42 days ago
Quoted from bob_e:

What did you use for circuit breakers? 30, 40, or 50 amp?

My car charger can only draw 16A max. My EV outlet is hooked up to a 20A breaker (following the 80% rule, it can handle 16A continuous indefinitely). So I am within spec, and it has operated flawlessly now for several years.
If I ever get a different car/charger that pulls more current, swapping in a larger breaker is a 5 minute job. Unless I'm in Canada apparently, then I need to hire some "pro" that will charge me a few thousand loonies.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mattosborn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread?tu=mattosborn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.