ford-charge-station-pro-install-with-1-conduit-this-time-v0-e1kcy3p1c3za1.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Image 4-21-24 at 1.05?PM (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 13-53-01 Who Wants a Loud Car (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 18-12-04 reddit (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 8.32.26?AM (resized).png
used (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 16-44-36 EV vs. Gas Which Cars Are Cheaper to Own (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 7.44.38?AM (resized).png
IMG_5069 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Where are the landfills for these dead batteries going to be?

Same place as the windmill blades, another boondoggle.

Fragments-of-wind-turbine-blades-Photographer-Benjamin-Rasmussen-for-Bloomberg-Green-min (resized).jpgFragments-of-wind-turbine-blades-Photographer-Benjamin-Rasmussen-for-Bloomberg-Green-min (resized).jpg
#38 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

If the US would start building some modern Nuclear plants we can increase our clean energy production.

DING DING!

The greenies won't allow it which is a sign most of the environmental virtual signaling is all B.S. They don't have much to say about bats & endangered birds being shredded by windmills, a crime that would put most of us in jail.

If the United States went to a standardized plant like France (78-80% of their electric) and tossed out the treaty signed by Carter against reprocessing fuel, our problems would be solved. Reprocessed fuel has a half life that is negligible and we could use up all the "spent fuel" sitting in storage.

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Solar sounds fun but my roof is covered w snow half the year.

And the panels start degrading on output the second they are installed, most are only rated for 20 years.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

This was never a green issue to me. It has always been the general population's fear of having nuclear power plants in their backyards and enormous payola to politicians from big oil to make sure it never happens.

Been one in my backyard my whole life, not a single issue with it.

Three reactors there actually, though one was decommissioned not long ago.

599395dbe66b0.image (resized).jpg599395dbe66b0.image (resized).jpg
#49 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Modern nuclear plants still produce radioactive waste….big problem as who will volunteer to allow their land to be polluted with waste.

Not a big problem, see my post above.

Reprocess the fuel like France and the problem is negligible.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

Would you consider yourself an exception? Plus like you have said, it has been there your whole life. What about the power company going over to northern Bergen county in NJ and saying we would like to build a reactor off route 17. Never going to happen. Left, Right, Middle are all going to conjure up memories of the three accidents I mentioned above

I think most people around here are obvious to it even being there since 1970.

#56 2 years ago

For the record, I am neutral on EV

If I had short commute and did no hauling I'd consider one. A vehicle is a tool to fit particular need and one size doesn't fit all.

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Current and next-gen EV batteries already last at least as long as a combustion engine. If you are worried about replacing batteries, you should also worry about replacing the engine on a brand new car.

One guy already blew up his 2013 Tesla when it needed a $23,000 battery pack.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/26/22853573/tesla-model-s-explosion-repair-bill

also see-

https://www.inverse.com/innovation/tesla-battery-life-replacement-cost

I have seen gas engines go well over 500,000 miles without breaking a sweat, Toyota in particular.

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Aside from that I have no idea why people put Toyota on a pedestal.

Because as a former auto tech I have seen dozens if not hundreds go 500k without breaking a sweat.

My own son had a $500 Yaris he purchased from Napa that he could not kill with 750k when he sold it.

#106 2 years ago
Quoted from the9gman:

The best EV I have ever seen was a mini cooper with electric engines in the wheels , two smaller battery packs one for driving and the other for charging while driving and a highly efficient deisel generator for charging the secondary pack. The car got 85mpg and had no range or temperature issues. To me this was the best way to bridge the gap but I would venture to say that the idea was killed by big oil.

Not really- greenies did.

Hybrid drivetrains are great but greenies pushed into law "zero emissions vehicles" which leaves them ass out.

Hybrid drivetrains are the best of both worlds.

#117 2 years ago
Quoted from the9gman:

I agree with you ....when I look at how long my 3cyl Kubota tractor can run .....all day on less then 5 gal of deisel to me that would be the goto option ....if it were not so efficient then why do they use it on railway engines which weigh thousands of pounds
diesel gen at constant rpm ,electric motor, best of both worlds

Ram came up with a great package for the hemi and V6 trucks that had an small battery pack and electric assist motor for when you need bursts of torque.

Great idea but doesn't seem to be getting any traction.

I'd have no problem driving a pentastar V6 in a full size Ram with that setup. Adds 90 ft/lbs torque to the V6, 130 to the Hemi.

Boosts the MPG too.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/trucks/a23306626/ram-1500-etorque/

#217 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

It amazes me how short sighted the Elon nut huggers are. The EV is just a bridge from one ICE to another. While the EV is definitely more environmentally conscious, it is still extremely flawed. Toyota just announced a collaboration with Yamaha to produce a hydrogen V8, and said they plan to completely carbon neutral by 2050. Meaning no EV. Oh and Cummins announced another on the same day.

Doesn't matter, environmentalists want the internal combustion engine dead.

Mazda came up with a great hydrogen powered package a decade or two ago. As it turns out a rotary engine is awesome burning hydrogen due it the large surface area of the rotor assembly.

California REFUSED to certify the drivetrain because the tailpipe emissions contained...wait for it... trace amounts of engine lubricant.

#223 2 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

I've got nothing against EV's as a concept, I just don't care for Tesla design philosophy when it comes to the basic functionality of a car. Watching people trying to make a 3 point turn with a yolk steering wheel and a touchpad gear selector is just painful. I understand being innovative and trying to do new things....as long as you actually make them better. Don't make basic functionalities difficult and distracting, particularly with something as critical as steering.

I chuckle when people state change is good, it isn't always.

Try plowing snow with Ram truck with its rotary shift knob and you will start swearing a blue streak. And stupidly, the same shape and size roughly as the fan control 2 inches away.

Imagine plowing a tight lot and have to take your eyes of your environment around you so you can verify what gear you are in and then have to look around to make sure you dont back over some clueless passerby in the meantime.

Rinse repeat a few hundred times.

Column shift? You never even have to look, you can tell by the shifter detents. You never have to take your eyes off the environment around you.

Mechanical shifters cost money though.

Progress!!

And God help you should you think about opening the door to see what's behind you as the computer WILL put you in park because some idiot ran themselves over.

#225 2 years ago
Quoted from thekiyote:

But every once in a while, there's someone who just hates the fact I have an electric vehicle. Usually, there isn't even a reason for it.

What you drive is no skin off my nose. As an old car salesman told me once, there is an ass for every seat.

People like what they like.

When some idiot from government mandates what people drive (and make themselves exempt of course) I get a bit touchy.

#228 2 years ago
Quoted from thekiyote:

Fair enough, though when I hear it's California that is trying to pass some mandate, I usually chalk it up to California being California. Those guys make even Illinois look libertarian in comparison.

Saying in the car industry, so goes California so goes the rest of the nation. California is or was the number one state for car sales. Everything pretty much gets made to California spec as it costs to much to have separate specs built.

#232 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Yep, same BS EV naysayers were saying 20 years ago. So you’re saying there will be no advancements beyond the modern tech that is electricity? Lol. Hopefully we can revisit this conversation in 15-20 years.

Hydrogen is an excellent source of energy, extremely clean burning.

No government subsidies, no government intervention. Let the market decide.

#234 2 years ago

It doesn't matter what California does when the rest of the world is also doing it and in some cases at a quicker pace. We have no choice but to go along with it, if we don't we won't be able to sell our cars in world markets in a few years. There was no choice.

If you say so.

We don't have to follow anyone.

2014.4.8-IMG_0850-Hyderabad-AP-India-Biking-family-street-scene-001 (resized).jpg2014.4.8-IMG_0850-Hyderabad-AP-India-Biking-family-street-scene-001 (resized).jpg54600d681b71fe31d22cfad18a8a5d22 (resized).jpg54600d681b71fe31d22cfad18a8a5d22 (resized).jpg5775493755_2ff0f12293_b (resized).jpg5775493755_2ff0f12293_b (resized).jpgan-indian-family-on-a-motorbike-in-india-ratan-tata-has-said-seeing-bcyt89 (resized).jpgan-indian-family-on-a-motorbike-in-india-ratan-tata-has-said-seeing-bcyt89 (resized).jpgarticle-0-127D8409000005DC-830_634x356 (resized).jpgarticle-0-127D8409000005DC-830_634x356 (resized).jpg
#242 2 years ago

The images you picked actually are a perfect use case for electric. Those bikes are emissions exempt and pollute far more than cars do, so switching to electric bikes would save a metric fuckton of pollution, thanks for that example! Beyond that you know what I mean, we must be able to sell our cars in Europe, China, etc to survive so there is a fiduciary responsibility to follow the latest tech, pollution trends and country requirements. I mean I honestly don't think GM will survive regardless and even Ford is iffy, but if they put their heads in the sand, don't go electric and suddenly can't sell any of their cars in world markets they are 100% doomed.

Point missed clearly.

The rest of the world doesn't care.

#244 2 years ago

Except they do because many huge auto markets have enacted legislation signaling the end of gas powered cars. Markets that we need to be in for our auto industry to survive.

China is building coal burning electrical generating plants weekly.

#247 2 years ago

Here:
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Automobiles/China-plans-to-phase-out-conventional-gas-burning-cars-by-2035
https://www.motortrend.com/news/eu-carbon-dioxide-emissions-2035-plan/
I feel you'll agree that we need to be in both of those markets, especially given that China is the worlds largest automotive market. If we don't then competition will happily take our place.
EDIT: I added a picture to show market sizes, that should make the urgency of the matter more clear.
[quoted image]

The Chinese lie routinely, good luck.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.