3%
  • Neutral 95 votes
    19%
  • *I actually like EVs* 269 votes
    55%

(489 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 16-44-36 EV vs. Gas Which Cars Are Cheaper to Own (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 7.44.38?AM (resized).png
IMG_5069 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 8.10.29?AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-17-22 Ford targets Tesla owners with $1 500 EV 'conquest' rebates (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-19-38 Family Own A Tesla Get $1 500 Off A Ford Mustang Mach-E Carscoops (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 11-54-36 Best Solar Generator for Home Backup Power EcoFlow US (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 09-48-53 EcoFlow DELTA Pro 2 × 220W Solar Panel DELTA Pro Extra Battery D - (Members-only) DELTA Pro 2
248edf2c-1a41-4790-a83f-64f0bd20ad95 (resized).png
f285d5d3-ceec-4b7f-a741-0770ba2431ef (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240409_134107.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
200w.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from DarthPaul:

The U.S. was energy independent, then our government changed that.

Aren't we energy independent now? I just read that we were a net oil exporter in 2020 and 2021, for the first time since the 60s. We made it!

#116 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

So range is a huge issue for EV’s. Plus many people rely on driving besides truckers and average 100-200 miles a day to do their jobs.

Sure, but then you just pony up $1500 for a 240v line and a fast charger. If you’re doing constant long-haul road trips I’d still lean toward a conventional or hybrid, but modern electrics seem fine for most use cases.

#150 2 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Gates...[quoted image]

Is this a "Where's Waldo" thing? Find Bill Gates peeping from the bushes or something?

#393 2 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

On my double shoot for both my websites and Youtube last Friday I fit an Arcade 1up unit in the back, a bunch of bondage gear, camera gear, etc all nicely into the back of the Model S. Just a brilliant vehicle.

God bless Pinside!

#447 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Incorrect, cannot do that on Michigan Roads

It's a Corvette, maybe bob_e will allow it.

#458 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Tesla designed the car to stop in the middle of the freeway which is very dangerous. I can easily see litigation over something like that if nasty accident.

People gripe about the US legal system for plenty of good reasons, but product safety lawsuits against the auto industry have played an important role in design improvements -- flaming Pintos and SUV roll-overs leap to mind. And they'll presumably do the same in the EV era (unless Musk cranks up those political donations and buys himself some tort-reform exemption).

#491 2 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

I just email every dealer within 200 miles and ask for their best price on the car i want. With the ones that respond I'll negotiate.

That’s how I bought my last two cars as well, price and all details were settled before I left I my house. I can’t imagine doing otherwise - you can research, compare prices, and respond to emails on your own timeframe.

#501 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

buy on line and pay sticker?? Throw your money away....

Buying online doesn't mean you're paying sticker. You're still weighing the different dealership's offers against each other, and at least in more buyer-friendly times you can even do some negotiation (though in my experience they tend to cut pretty close to bottom line with online offers since they know you're getting numbers from other dealers at the same time). It's just from the comfort of your couch where you can research all of the angles online at your leisure, instead of sitting at the dealership all Saturday negotiating with the three stooges.

1 week later
#685 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Sorry for the phonetics lesson, but here it comes . . .

A low point in any thread.

1 week later
#704 2 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Anyone know what would happen to the batteries on these things if you stored them in a barn for 40 years?

I'm sure they age like fine wine.

#710 2 years ago
Quoted from bigdog50:

[quoted image]

Is that a screenshot of Post #280 from this thread?!? Same joke but the image quality is apparently degrading over time.

1 week later
#749 2 years ago

My takeaway from the last few pages is you guys need to look into street parking. This eliminates the possibility of your EV/ICE burning down your house. And frees up valuable space for more pinball machines.

Or just buy a bicycle. I was going to google "pedal-power spontaneous combustion" but I don't want to trigger razorsedge, so I'll just assume it's pretty low risk.

#772 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Porsche EV with charger at an estate sale in White lake MI this Saturday/Sunday

Nice try, but that'll never handle the Michigan roads ...

#787 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Like when Elon shot one of his first cars into space

Can’t believe Tesla beat the Fast & Furious franchise into space …

73932B77-FDC9-43BB-A05D-6B998A7C0E8F.gif73932B77-FDC9-43BB-A05D-6B998A7C0E8F.gif
#796 2 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

critical thinking

The line between "critical thinking" and "unintelligible blather" is apparently a little blurry ...

#808 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

We should all be using perpetual motion machines!!

5FB7DC2A-D118-4AFD-B61E-41D1FEF639AD.gif5FB7DC2A-D118-4AFD-B61E-41D1FEF639AD.gif
#813 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Will a new Stern pinball machine fit inside?

Probably not the average Stern pinball owner ...

1 week later
#839 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

After spending $44 BILLION on Twitter to insure his right to free speech, what is next?

Hell of an impulse buy! For my part I bought a PowerBall ticket this afternoon. We'll see who made the better investment in a year or two.

#861 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Note that it is 85 miles door to door to visit my step son in Toledo

Noted. Not sure why Dawson (or you for that matter) would want to visit your step-son in Toledo, but I'm sure he'll factor that in.

#869 1 year ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

So it sounds like you have some kind of hatred of the Glass City?

Just a little trash-talk. Plus I enjoyed bob_e's request that we "note" his trips to Toledo, and thought I'd call it out. No offense intended to him or his step-son. I guess some offense intended to Toledo, but I'm sure they can take it.

#900 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

You do know that "liberal" and "conservative" are not inherently political terms, right? I am using them within the context of thought pattern and not party affiliation. There are such things as conservative donkeys and liberal elephants.

But that’s not the way you’re using them. You blew your cover with the “modern day self-ascribed liberal people” bit at the end, which made it perfectly clear you’re talking politics.

#903 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Why are you being so obtuse? Just incase you are wondering, here is that that word means: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/obtuse
BTW, I would be happy to offer lessons on how to utilize dictionaries help you understand primary and secondary definitions of words. For obtuse, you will notice my usage is not the primary definition, rather, 2a.

We’ve got a liberal on our hands here, folks!

#911 1 year ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Throw it in the garbage in a couple of years, when you can't get a battery for it anymore.

This can be a real issue with battery-powered tools. I've still got my 11 year old B&D blower and edger set humming along with cheap replacement off-brand batteries I ordered through Amazon or maybe AliExpress. And I'd bet China will continue to make replacements batteries for most tools that sold decently well, though you may have to sniff around to find them. But if I had a bigger yard I'd want either gas or corded-electric for the run time since the blower tears through batteries. I've got a corded-electric mower that I've been happy with, though it also wouldn't be practical on a multi-acre property.

1 week later
#939 1 year ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Funny in some ways watching salt flow over peoples untennable belief in "lame stream" brainfog narrative concocted BS Pmsl

Is this now a Beat Poetry thread? Very stream of consciousness, man.

#956 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I’m very ready to let machines do the driving. It will greatly reduce accidents. Thats irrefutable.

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

How is conjecture irrefutable?

What’s the scenario in which self-driving cars wouldn’t greatly reduce accidents? I’m not saying computers will ever be perfect, but they don’t need to be very good at all to drive more safely than the average human.

#958 1 year ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Perfect? . Selective?
What if, "computer says no!" ? ... or computer decides your social credit score means you need to be 'eliminated' for some *unmentioned*ical reason or whatever else we didn't think of? ... :3
Of course I know that can never happen, and is impossible.
... right?

I’ll need a computer to translate this one.

#962 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

People will die.

No doubt. But you don't need perfection, just less people dying than under the current arrangement (in the US that's 46k deaths/year, plus 4.4 million hospitalizations). The bar is loooooooow.

#971 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The first time a car in self-drive mode has a wreck and seriously injures or kills a person (the driver or a bystander), the legal action will be swift and overbearing. Not saying that self-driven cars are not an eventuality (they probably are), but serious advancements in technology and infrastructure are probably decades away still.

I certainly agree with you on the legal front -- humans have a strong preference for things we know and are comfortable with, so self-driving cars will be held to a far higher safety standard than human drivers. On the one hand this will push development of ever-safer self-driving technology, which is a good thing. On the other hand technologies that could save many lives (and lots of money through more efficient driving) will be delayed or shelved in pursuit of perfection, while people continue to die in human-caused accidents. I'd imagine that people adapting to accept self-driving technology will slow things down as much or more than the remaining technical hurdles (which are real and numerous but also surmountable).

#1035 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Oh, I did see one take a Big Gulp off the windshield on the Dan Ryan for driving slow in the left lane, that was fun.

Did the Big Gulp originate in your car? Just a hunch ...

#1052 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I was refering to the US market...
But Ford has added letters like GT, GTA and LTD to some of their car lines.

F-150’s got a letter in it …

#1096 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Seeing as 90-95% of cars on the road are still ICE I don't see a problem yet.

As you say it's not an immediate problem, but it will eventually become one. I would guess most states will eventually go to a personal property/ownership tax of some kind on the vehicle itself (you pay a small % of the vehicle's estimated value each year as an annual tax, diminishes as the vehicle gets older). Colorado and some other states already do this, so it's workable. Alternately they could come up with some kind of monitoring system based on how much electricity you use charging your EV (which would roughly correlate to how much you're using it on the roads, the way a gas tax does) but that seems like a hassle to administer and people don't like visible signs that the government is tracking their behavior. So I'm guessing most states will go the ownership tax route.

#1105 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

why would they diminish the cost over time? It delivers the same amount of road wear.

True re: road wear. I never looked into it but I assume Colorado decreases the ownership tax as your vehicle ages to make it more progressive (so poor people with crappy old cars pay less). But you could also do a flat tax per vehicle regardless of age. Or somehow scale for miles driven (though then you’re back to it being a hassle to administer).

#1123 1 year ago
Quoted from cait001:

anyone here tried an ebike?

Picking mine up today. I’m a pretty perfect use case, 3 miles to the office but a sizable hill makes it a serious time commitment to bike home. I’m hoping the ebike will speed me up those hills a bit so I can bike to work and still make it home in time for dinner.

#1125 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Insignificantly- your cars weight changes more by bringing your wife with you on the ride. A gallon of gas weighs approx 6 gallons. Even at 20 gallons… that’s only 120lb swing

I take your point, but it’s a little creepy that you know how much his wife weighs.

#1133 1 year ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Why do you think a lot of car companies got rid of spare tires to help improve fuel economy? And a spare tire, even a full size one doesn't weigh even near 120 lbs.

Having just gone through a side-wall flat and discovering that Honda had innovated away the spare tire in my new Accord Hybrid and replaced it with Fix-a-Flat spray, I would argue that this particular effort at weight savings sucks for consumers. I had to have my car towed (for a flat freaking tire!) and ended up spending $350 to buy myself a spare for next time. Luckily the Accord body is still designed to hold a spare so it dropped right into place in the trunk.

Total weight of the spare and related equipment was probably less than 50 lbs.

#1187 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

also, not a fan of kool-aid as it's mostly sugar

If the cyanide doesn't get you, the sugar will ...

#1233 1 year ago

you visit a charger every single day. incredibly creative time accounting. You are spending 8+ hours for 80% range and calling it 0 time. Using your logic of 6 seconds to charge since the fill time magically does not count, his time is also the 6 seconds it takes to put in the hose. The difference is when you consider way time works. His 3 minute total gets him 400 miles and he can go now. Your charge for 6 seconds as claimed and you won't have any added range.

You missed the point he was making. Which is that given his use patterns (he’s not sitting there watching his car charge) he’s not “spending” any of his time charging the car beyond the time to plug/unplug it, which is probably less than the few minutes he’d spend standing around waiting for his tank to fill every few days. It’s true that it takes hours for his battery to recharge. But that has no impact on his life because it all happens during a time when his car would just be sitting in his garage anyway.

In other words, he’s talking human time/attention required to accomplish recharge/refuel, while you want to argue that electric and ISE time to recharge/refuel from empty aren’t comparable (and of course they’re not, which is why no one raised that argument).

#1238 1 year ago

No bearing; unless he actually wants/needs to go somewhere.

So you’re saying he’d have to change his approach if he didn’t need to sleep and wanted to drive his car around 24 hours a day?

#1274 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

The city was not built with mass transit in mind.

Actually, it was. there was a great street car system, the GM came in and convinced the city to go to buses and to ditch the street cars. (when my parents came to California in the late '40s my dad was a Yellow car street car operator)

Yeah, didn't you see Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

RR (resized).jpgRR (resized).jpg
#1281 1 year ago
Quoted from Damen:

There is a myth about the holy grail being a single emerald from Lucifer’s crown???

There is? If it wasn’t covered by Indiana Jones or Monty Python then I question its legitimacy.

#1322 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

2003 Malibu bought it new, it has 188,000 miles now.

A new Malibu, eh?

Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

The 2003 Malibu was purchased for my Mom, and I took it over at 47,000 miles

Ah, that makes more sense then.

#1444 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I always turn it on when driving past the gas pumps at my local starbucks.

Starbucks.gifStarbucks.gif
#1457 1 year ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

used Nissan Leaf but I did read a really bad story from an owner of a 2012 one that took off by itself in the driveway and slammed into I think it was a mustang project he was doing.

Sounds like a classic EV hate-crime to me.

#1509 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

If you read his comments, you come to the conclusion he makes a lot of them.

You just need to drop more acid before reading his posts. They’re 100% coherent.

#1514 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I'm just curious...do you have a cellphone? Tablet? Laptop?

I’m getting more of a stone tablet vibe.

#1576 1 year ago
Quoted from DarthPaul:

Unfortunately we have already become a second rate country

If the US is now second rate, what are the current first rate countries? Who do we need to knock off to regain top rank?

#1618 1 year ago

Interesting! Key quote from the article: "The aircraft is fondly know as 'the flying bum.' "

#1639 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

So just tax the "rich" cause its worked out so well in the past.

From the 40s-70s, which many people still consider a golden age for the American worker in terms of wages and job security, income tax rates for top earners were astronomical by today’s standards. As in 70-90% for the very top tier. Given today’s global economy you couldn’t just snap those rates back into place. But the US seems to have muddled through OK with them for decades so I’m not convinced that approach to taxation is inherently catastrophic.

#1736 1 year ago

My my, things got pretty pissy in here the last 24 hours or so.

Without jumping into the mud pit, I have to agree that if you're intentionally blocking an EV charger with your ICE vehicle because you enjoy messing up a stranger's day, you're being a douche. Not as much of a douche as if you took a handicap space. But on par with someone that leaves their car at the pump at a busy gas station for 20 minutes to peruse the candy selection and take a long dump. So if the handicap spot stealer is an extra strength douche, the EV charger blocker is "island splash" scented.

#1745 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

No this is geared specifically to 0.0000000000000000001% of the population as purposely dick move as a response to the uppity smugness that comes from EVs and their VIP parking

I think everyone understands your position -- you wouldn't block a handicap spot but would go out of your way to block an EV charger.

Quoted from mrm_4:

I guarantee a lot of people read and laughed at and moved on but only whiners are the loud ones.

People will laugh at a lot of things. Doesn't mean you're being less of a douche just because someone thinks it's funny.

Quoted from mrm_4:

You guys need to lighten up and quit trying to make me the face of evil for mankind over a parking space that never gets used.

I don't see that anyone's calling you the face of evil for mankind. Just pointing out that you're being a douche for the "purposely dick move" you're directing toward "0.0000000000000000001% of the population." Is it just that you want to be called a dick instead of a douche? I'm OK with that.

#1752 1 year ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Why should we cater and make specific parking for EV’s…people choose to buy one knowing there are not a ton of parking spots with charging stations….suck it up butter cup. My only issue is put them in the back of the lots….no reason for them to get up front parking. They are no more “entitled” to that space than anyone else.

Sounds like your issue is with the owner of the parking lot who decided where to install the charger. I don't have an EV, and don't care if all lots have chargers or what part of the lot they're in. But if there's a charger there, for whatever reason, it's kind of douchey to block it if you're not going to use it.

Quoted from Pickle:

Can you guys also lighten up and did you stop to think maybe mrm_4 might have been jacking with you guys and stir the pot and have some fun with ya…life is too short to take this so serious.

If you're talking to me here, at what point did I get "heavy"? All I said is it's a douche move to intentionally block a charger that you're not going to use. Like parking your stroller in front of the water fountain at the airport. You're not breaking any laws, but why go out of your way to inconvenience people you don't even know when you could move over five feet and everyone goes about their business?

#1771 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

this is posture child behavior for jealousy

I hope "posture child" makes its way into the Pinside lexicon.

#1813 1 year ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I would like to thank mrm_4 for solving the world's energy problems. Dude, you're a genius! Can you work on world hunger next?

Well his solution to the West’s long-running drought is pretty good. So long as you’re cool drinking your own urine out of a soda bottle …

#1841 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

The turbines are spinning from the air being pushed on to them from driving. The solar panels are constantly charging from UV. None of this is in anyway impacting the performance of the main battery.

1) Your solar panels should be good for extra electricity, so long as they don't create too much extra drag or add too much extra weight. That seems like more of a cost/durability issue than anything.

2) Your turbines and windmills should be able to capture some ambient wind power when the car is parked outdoors, so that could generate extra electricity too.

3) The problem arises if you're trying to increase your total battery charge by driving around (i.e. you want perpetual motion). The key difference is that you are the one generating the "wind" that will power your turbines, by moving your car through the air. You're spending energy to "create" that wind, not just passively capturing wind that Mother Earth has thoughtfully generated for you. And your wind turbines and windmills intentionally create drag/wind resistance in order to generate electricity -- that's precisely what they're designed to do. You "create" the wind by moving your car through the air, they "resist" the wind with their blades, and that resistance causes the blades to spin and generate electricity. If you "streamline" them to reduce the wind resistance, you'll also be reducing the amount of energy they can generate (because they need wind resistance to function). None of this matters for a stationary windmill where you aren't spending energy to "create" the wind and therefore don't have to worry about the drag effect your windmill has on the system. But on a moving vehicle they'll always cost you more in drag-related energy loses than they can generate in electricity.

4) I don't see the value in the second battery -- it doesn't solve your perpetual motion problem, and it would seem about as useful as an auxiliary gas tank. Which was great for the absent-minded in its day, but is no longer necessary since your car can now literally yell at you when it's time to refill/charge your car.

#1843 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

People that find things like this that benefit other people in such a way dont get fired. They usually are found dead ruled as suicide with 2 gun shot wounds to the back of the head.

Only if they refuse to report to the office for 40 hours of in-person work a week. Elon was very clear about the consequences for that ...

#1847 1 year ago

Just quit feeding the Troll.

In less than a day he's gone from intentionally blocking EV charging stations with his Silverado to inventing a perpetual motion machine. I'd say we're making progress.

#1852 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Ok well this has been amazing fellas, im dipping out for a bit because my wife is tesla shopping and were heading up to Lyndhurst for her test drive scheduled at 3:30, wish us luck!

Let us know how it pans out when you block her charging station in your garage with your truck. A man has to stand on his principles, after all, and that "happy wife happy life" stuff is all nonsense anyway.

#1868 1 year ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Aren't you afraid of this happening to your new car?

Street parking is surprisingly safe in many parts of most major cities. Bigger problem than car theft is usually vagrants smashing a window to find out what’s in your glovebox.

#1969 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I actually think California bans all ICE manufacturing and sales after like 2035

Yep. But there's also no enforcement mechanism -- there's no legal consequence for anyone making or selling ICE vehicles in California after that date, and no requirement that any state agencies do anything to hamper sales if they're ongoing by that date. So it seems like more of an aspiration target than a serious prohibition at this point.

Which doesn't mean this law isn't a sign of things to come, aspirations sometimes lead somewhere. But I wouldn't look at this law and conclude that all ICE sales will terminate in California by 2035, since it includes nothing that could actually make that happen.

#1971 1 year ago

I never really got Pinside's "don't post about ignores" policy, but this thread is getting a little tedious with all of the posts about ignores ...

#1973 1 year ago
touche (resized).jpgtouche (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2135 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

till they charge you $300 to change the cabin filters and rotate the wiper blades

Hopefully they're not rotating the filters as well.

#2138 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I haven’t checked in in awhile, did you guys convince bob_e to buy an EV yet?

No, but I think he's cracking ...

2 weeks later
#2347 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

avatars like these are why I can't keep anyone straight…

Guy’s arguing with himself!

#2414 1 year ago

There's eve some that make really outrageous claims about their EV cars. I Know one in my department at work that actually believes he gets 100% of his energy back from his dynamic braking.

Before you rule it out, check if he’s got some of those windmills installed. That plus a second battery and he’ll never even need to plug it in …

1 week later
#2593 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

IMHO... This is THE issue... It's not range, it's not charging speeds, it's the gas tax... I don't have an answer that doesn't require allowing the government to look even further into your life than it already does.

It will be interesting to see how different states handle this challenge. A few possible approaches off the top:

• Flat state tax for anyone that owns an EV. Easiest to administer but you lose the intuitive fairness of taxing people for road upkeep based on how much they use the roads.
  • Annual state tax based on the age/book value of the EV (same way CO currently imposes property tax on cars), so people with new and expensive EVs pay more (based on a "tax the rich" theory rather than a "tax by use" theory).
  • Collect tolls for all use of state roads with an ExpressToll / EZPass type system (this could apply to both EV and ICE cars)
  • State tax based on mileage driven. Easy to administer if you take odometer readings each Jan 1 (or have the car report its own over WiFi). But there could be legal challenges to a state collecting taxes for miles driven in other states.
#2686 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Seriously how does one TURBOcharge an electric motor?? there are no exhaust gases to spin a turbocharger

Have you learned nothing from mrm_4? It’s all in the fans.

#2709 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

There is a big ICE car cruise this Saturday on Woodward Ave. from Pontiac to Ferndale. So get out there after 3PM from 12 to 16 mile roads, the heart of the cruise, and let me know how many time you actually did 0-60

So you’re hyping a self-imposed ICE traffic jam in which the bumper-to-bumper action will eliminate the EV acceleration advantage? What’s the selling point? Come out and maybe someone will throw a Slurpie at your Tesla while you breath their idling exhaust?

#2718 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

the POINT is that in traffic like that on Woodward that the smooth 3.1 seconds acceleration is absolutely useless ! DUH!

Makes perfect sense. I imagine the ICE rally will do wonders for your gas mileage as well, keep us posted!

#2758 1 year ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

Cross-country trips in battery powered EVs will never be viable beyond a few niche enthusiasts (and retirees with time to burn). Charge times are too long. This simple fact means once EVs have more market penetration, you'll be waiting to get at that charger, too. Once most folks find they have anywhere from a 45 minute to 4 hour wait to charge for another 200-300 miles of travel, they'll abandon EVs. Current technology makes no sense here.

As more EVs are sold, wouldn't you expect to see more public charging stations come online too? I don't think we'll see batteries that fully charge in minutes anytime soon, so the ICE tank-up will always be significantly faster. But if EVs continue to capture market share I would expect the market (and baring that, EV-sponsoring governments) to respond by providing chargers to service them.

Also, most Americans complete a total of zero cross-country drives per year. And I'd guess the average American probably doesn't drive more than 600 or 700 miles in one day at any point during their year. If that can be done with one 45-minute charge on the road, you're looking at more of an adjustment than a deal breaker for most people. All IMO, of course.

#2761 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

What about the Ioniq 5?

Maroon 5

#2804 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Am I to assume you won't see this post?

Don’t flatter yourself! You’ve got dues to pay if you want to achieve “blockable” status.

#2821 1 year ago

Will be, not isn't. With places pushing EV mandates, and they are (does not mean they will achieve them, but that are pushing them) the system is not ready for it. As I've said from the start when the infrastructure is there, then it will be practical for the masses.

Do you think that's how it worked with ICE infrastructure? The US didn't have interstate highways until the 1950s, decades after cars had widely replaced the horse and buggy. Pretty much any other infrastructure-heavy market you look at (cell phones, internet) works the same way. Yes you need a certain minimal amount of infrastructure to make the system work at all and to entice early adopters. But from their the demand for more infrastructure from users is what justifies (and repays) the cost of expansion.

In other words, as there are more EVs out there, demand for charges will rise, charges will be installed to meet that demand, and the proliferation of chargers will make EVs more attractive to more drivers. Government incentives/mandates (even if they're just for EV cars and not infrastructure) will speed that process. You don't have to agree that promoting EVs is a good use of taxpayer money. But this picture of an apocalyptic near-future where we've all been forced to purchase EVs but have nowhere to charge them is a bit much.

#2848 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Really...this is YOUR EV? Because i asked "can your EV do that? ". I did not ask... can an ev do that?

Is this your round-about way of confessing you drive a PT Cruiser?

#2902 1 year ago

Stick with ICE? depends on if they are available new in the future or not.

Are you concerned that you won't be able to buy a new ICE vehicle over the next decade? That's plenty of time to beef up the charger network to handle all the additional users, and hopefully to develop longer-range batteries to address your use-case.

I've seen all sorts of EV people claiming that they are great for everyone and ICE drivers just need to get in on to discover their perfection.

Got any examples from this thread? Claiming that EVs work for everyone is just as stupid as claiming that EVs work for no one, and I think most posters here have shied away from making either argument. What the EV boosters in this thread have argued is that EVs are a solid option right now for the great majority of drivers. Which seems legit to me, though the squeegee factor is a great counter-point.

#2911 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I pointed this out and was told that gas stations weren’t available when cars first came out so that makes it ok

I wasn't trying to tell you that public EV charger capacity is OK because it was a pain in the ass to get gas for your ICE 100 years ago. Just that it's silly to expect EV to follow a completely different path from every other infrastructure-heavy technology that humans have ever adopted. Railroads, cars, cell phones ... they all started with a skeletal infrastructure setup, then expanded as demand increases. You seem to want the charging grid of 2030 in place today, before anyone buys another EV. That's not realistic.

You literally just did it yourself, "for the great majority". No, not even close.

You're literally misusing the word "literally"!

#2929 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

You can sleep comfortably in an EV with the A/C on even when it’s parked in your enclosed garage.

This thread is great, first perpetual motion and now it looks like we've solved the housing crisis!

Quoted from MtnFrost:

I was reading the NYT, says CA will ban the sale of ICEs by 2035. Wild.

See, @pinballizfun, even in Cali you'll have 11 years to keep buying new ICEs. Nothing to worry about!

#2932 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

By 2035 all of California’s streets will be completely flooded with human feces

Re-check that long-term forecast, California's slated for mega-drought and wildfires, not flooding.

#2972 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Additionally, look at the lifestyle of any public advocate of CC. Without exception, they are some of the most elite and self-polluting/energy using individuals in this world. They espouse one thing, but their lifestyles are completely opposite. If they actually believed what they spew instead of using it to achieve power, fame, and riches, their behaviors would be the exact opposite of how they actually live.

Humans are hypocrites. Always have been, always will be, it's in our nature. Accordingly, people's behavior often tracks poorly with what their honestly-held beliefs are. So the fact that John Kerry loves his private jet tells us nothing about whether human behavior is driving the (undeniable) changes we are now seeing in our climate. Only that John Kerry is a hypocrite.

#2977 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

to spout a belief and not live by then that belief is ultimately dead and meaningless

Maybe so, but billions of people do it every day! If we had more Jameses the world would be a better place, or at least a more consistent one.

2 weeks later
#3339 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

When will we be migrating to EV tanks, helicopters, fighter jets, bombers, ships, transport vehicles, etc.? Seriously, like it or not energy is the lifeblood of our defense, and fossil fuels will continue to be the dominant means of powering this engine for the foreseeable future.

I'd guess when the tech and infrastructure are at a point that EV is the better way to go. Defense vehicles, like emergency response vehicles, have specialized requirements and we generally cut them plenty of regulatory slack so I imagine they may keep using fossil fuels longer than civilian vehicles. But so what? However many billion gallons the US Army uses a year it can't be more than a small fraction of total gallons used by US consumers. Or are you just opposed to incrementalism in general?

#3347 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

change for change sake is self-destructive when you put something as important as the defense of the US and our allies at risk.

If you're starting from the POV that there's no benefit to reducing emissions from burning fossil fuels then incremental moves toward electric vehicles will probably seem like "change for change's sake."

That aside though, I don't think anyone in here was advocating that the Army should go 100% electric in five years or the like. You can be gung-ho about EVs in general and still recognize that there need to be exceptions for sectors like defense and emergency responders, at the very least until the tech and infrastructure are more developed.

#3376 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Of course, the Germans had some little electric tanks in WWII

How did they fare in that war?

So the Nazis lost WWII because the Russians strategically parked in front of all the charging ports? And all this time I thought it was war on two fronts that doomed them …

#3395 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Umm…..seriously? The war ended in 1945 dude

Common misconception. The elite EV Panzer Corps fought on for another two years. Until their batteries died.

1 week later
#3528 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The 10,000th time a kid in a drive through tells you that you have a nice car, shit gets old.

Things are tough all over.

1 week later
#3578 1 year ago

And this is exactly why people are against mandates.

How is the problem they are describing being caused by mandates? Or do you consider tax incentives to be mandates?

#3585 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

If that dragon breath stupidity is some kind of flex, I guess our equivalent is "driving past gas pumps with a smug grin."

Don't forget the bumper stickers.

MUSK (resized).pngMUSK (resized).png
#3597 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I don't presume to know people's motives, but I'm sure it had nothing to do with the vehicle having a gasoline engine in it.

Unless it was mrm_4’s Silverado …

#3601 1 year ago

Is that Will Ferrell?

#3619 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Don't buy a used car that was in Florida, ever, for several years...

You were correct right up to the "for several years" part. Probably best to avoid used cars from any east coast state, ever. Northeast offers salt corrosion, Southeast its floodwater damage and water moccasins in the glovebox. When it comes to used cars, west is the best!

2 months later
#4879 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

(and no, I don't want to pet your dog for $5)

That’s a euphemism, Vid. Roll your window back up ASAP.

#4932 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Except how much excess heat is there in your basement? For a mild climate like VA this seems to be a less than ideal situation.
Hearing a basement only to be trying to suck that heat out to try to heat water at even higher temps.

I just replaced my water heater and was tempted by a hybrid but had the same concern in my finished basement - I want it at 68-70 down there in the winter, so not thrilled at the idea of the water heater stealing air my furnace just heated. Might work out better in the summer but from what I’ve read it’s not an ideal option if the water heater is located in finished space.

#4936 1 year ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Heat pumps control and move heat very efficiently. A crucial technology for humanity's future.

It’s cool tech and I’m definitely not opposed to one in the future. And maybe I could even have engineered a good solution for my current setup, but didn’t have the time or energy to research it so I went conventional. I imagine they’ll have it all worked out by the time I’m in the market for another water heater.

#4942 1 year ago

Hey OP, time to retitle the thread. We’ve changed course!

#4959 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I live alone in a 3 bathroom house.

All three with running water?

#5046 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

So toss any notion of economy out the window

Dude, he buys Porsches.

#5101 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Without fossil fuels, you wouldn't even have EV technology.

Or ED technology, for that matter.

#5123 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

LoL! Living rent free!

Hey Pinplayer, you wouldn’t happen to be a Chicago Bears fan, would you?

#5126 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

, Do you mean Cleveland Browns fan?

Shh, it’s a trap …

1 week later
#5225 1 year ago

Impressive. He may burn through tires even faster than zaphX.

#5272 1 year ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Wanna toy worship, enjoy a good circle jerk, waste money, hurt the poor and lead to the same tired outcome?

I mean, we are on a pinball website …

#5322 1 year ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Good book tells you not to "eat ze bugz!"

Quoted from paynemic:

OT but I think it specifically says you CAN eat crickets. If it tastes like Taco Bell, I’m in!

Remember, he's reading the Australian version.

#5329 1 year ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I showed this article to my wife and initiated a discussion around EV's again. She started sending me links to 2-year-old video about battery recycling. I stopped talking. She's not ready to engage in useful discussion about it yet.

Put her in touch with razorsedge, he'll turn her around in no time.

#5343 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

The 15 minute cities and social credits to move amongst districts?

Haven't heard of this one but it sounds promising. What's the elevator pitch?

#5364 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Is this guy on the qanon team?

This guy’s on quaaludes.

#5377 1 year ago

Haven't seen that story, any link?

Easy now boys, The Onion is a recognized hard news source in Australia.

1 week later
#5456 1 year ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Here’s a scientific response to your query

No gassy chicks in Marblehead, eh? I don’t buy it …

C4DE8D7B-C9A2-43A9-859D-0D4391742CA2.gifC4DE8D7B-C9A2-43A9-859D-0D4391742CA2.gif

1 week later
#5464 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

It had been 8 days since anyone posted, I was beginning to worry.

I was afraid I killed the thread with my Good Will Hunting gif. Glad it's popped back.

#5467 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Vermont-based BETA Technologies, an electric aviation and aerospace manufacturer

First-rate trolling with the company name, five stars.

#5479 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Just wait until the federal at state "EV tax" hits owners since governments are losing the gasoline tax revenue on these vehicles.

Oh it's definitely coming, those roads won't pay for themselves. I know no one wants to pay their taxes, but I won't cry for the EV owners (even if I'm eventually one of them) that have to pay their fair share for plows and potholes.

1 week later
#5534 1 year ago
Quoted from rue_:

I have two EV's and I want to get a personalized plate but I can't think of anything cool

Check if GASMAN and KINGCOAL are available.

#5545 1 year ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

What benefit would that be?

Babes. Plus acceleration. But mainly babes.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread?tu=fosaisu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.