ford-charge-station-pro-install-with-1-conduit-this-time-v0-e1kcy3p1c3za1.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Image 4-21-24 at 1.05?PM (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 13-53-01 Who Wants a Loud Car (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 18-12-04 reddit (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 8.32.26?AM (resized).png
used (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darthpaul.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#76 2 years ago

Maybe someone should look at replacing diesel powered trucks with electric motors if you want to do something about the environment.

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from chillme:

The $140 penalty is because an EV owner doesn't pay any gas tax at the pump. Most states are implementing these fees to help cover the highway not being paid. I think that works. And these days $140 is not a lot of gas as you say. Current prices by me today, that's 35 gallons, or 1 fill up of my pickup. Seems rather cheap penalty.
It all depends on where you are, but electricity costs are a lot cheaper then gas. We can choose are supplier, so there's competition. Charing overnight, it's a whole .07 per kWh. We can do a 100 mile trip on my wife's car and it costs $2.33 or take my truck and it costs $20.47.
Maintenance on the EV is also cheaper, change the brake fluid every two years. No more oil changes, trips to the gas station.
And it's a fun car to drive. We did not get an EV to save the planet, not even close, if we are both alive in 20 years, I'd be surprised.

chillme does bring up a point, it seems to me EV owners need to be taxed on their mileage or some percentage of it.

#82 2 years ago

The U.S. was energy independent, then our government changed that.

2 months later
#955 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:Self driving and EV are two different subjects.
My new pinhauler has lane keeping assist, and I never use it. *unless I need to fiddle with my phone to find an address or digging in the bag for the last french fry, then I'm embarrassed to say how many times it has nudged me back in to my lane while I was distracted. Once my eyes are back 100% on the road, I click it off.
The adaptive cruise control is a different story. When your on an interstate road trip with heavy traffic, it's a blessing. I'm not aware of a way to turn that feature off and would never want to.

Your eyes should always be 100% on the road when driving, not drinking, not eating, not playing with your phone, the list goes on and on. Distracted driving is not something to be taken lightly.

#978 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

This is very true. Every transportation professional I have talked to (highway safety is part of my job) believes the only thing that is going to have a significant impact on reducing fatal crashes is self driving cars. I've read thousands of crash reports and all I can say is too many people are bad at driving.
Self driving cars will eventually be communicating with each other and the roadway infrastructure. They will be far more spatially aware than humans and can make decisions far faster. It's happening slowly, but it is coming along.

The one problem with that is, quite a few people enjoy driving. Driver's training today is a joke, maybe that is why there are so many bad drivers. Back in the day when I took Drivers Ed, I learned to drive in downtown Brooklyn NY, during rush hour, that was no joke. It was stressful but I believe it made me a much better driver.

1 month later
#1559 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

So can we all agree that the demand for EVs is a very real thing, and the public wants them? And therefore, we need to invest in the infrastructure to prepare for it now? Whether you like them or not, they are clearly where America is going.

What infrastructure are you taking about, roads are constantly being built or repaired. Now if you are talking about charging stations, then that should be left up to the private sector, not my tax dollars. I have an idea, EVs can not be charged at the owner's home. Think of the way ice vehicles need to go to a gas station, EVs will need to go to a special charging station. The charging stations could be located at current gas stations. Of course, charging will not be free and be taxed on the amount of electricity they use similar to the way gas is taxed.

#1575 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

It's OUR tax dollars, and I say we lead into the future instead of slowly sliding into a second rate country. The public clearly wants this, doesn't the majority get to vote on what to dowith all of OUR tax dollars?
Let me put it to you like this. If we had let the post office be left up to the private sector, most rural people wouldn't have access to mail at the end of their drive, 6 days a week, for pocket change per letter. For infrastructure? You wouldn't be able to drive your ICE anywhere without paying per mile.

Unfortunately we have already become a second rate country, buying EVs won't change that. Are you saying the majority of the American people want EVs, did you just make that up?

#1606 1 year ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

With all the gas tax those roads in the different states we live should soon be the smoothest that they have been since they were first built. Indy has had some bad ones where the news reports some unlucky drivers have gone multi flats. Just glad it wasn't me.

You have to remember, a lot of the gas tax money goes towards public transportation, just like bridge tolls.

1 week later
#1871 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

Just picked up this 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric Limited. Super stoked about it. It’s going to cost me $9 to fully charge this thing on the street at night in NYC. $9! That’s just bonkers! It cost $65 to fill up my previous car, for roughly the same amount of miles.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Aren't you worried about someone tripping over the extension cord?

11 months later
#6780 10 months ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

more complex ... arguably true
more expensive to maintain .... not really
Toyota hybrids are not necessarily more complex or expensive to maintain than gas-powered cars. In fact, they may actually be less expensive to maintain in the long run. This is because hybrid cars require less frequent oil changes and brake repairs.
Here are some of the reasons why Toyota hybrids may be less expensive to maintain:
Less frequent oil changes: Toyota recommends that hybrid cars have their oil changed every 10,000 miles, or 6 months, whichever comes first. This is significantly longer than the recommended oil change interval for gas-powered cars, which is typically every 3,000 to 5,000 miles.
Less wear on brakes: Hybrid cars use regenerative braking, which helps to slow the car down without using the brakes. This means that hybrid cars typically have less wear on their brakes than gas-powered cars.
Longer battery life: Toyota hybrid batteries are covered by a 10-year/150,000-mile warranty. This means that you are not responsible for the cost of replacing the battery for the first 10 years or 150,000 miles of ownership.
Of course, there are some additional costs associated with owning a hybrid car. For example, you may need to pay more for insurance, and you may have to pay a premium for the car itself. However, the savings on maintenance and fuel can often offset these costs.

I change my oil when my car tells me to, which is around 12,000 miles. Anyone who is using synthetic oil and is changing it every 3,000-5,000 miles is throwing their money away.

2 weeks later
#7102 10 months ago

I burn coal to heat my home.

2 weeks later
#7435 9 months ago

I saw an EV Mustang on the way home from work yesterday, in my opinion, there is nothing about it that "says" Mustang.

1 week later
#8001 9 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You can still buy a new horse today, because there is still demand to own a horse.
You can't buy a new punch card reader today, because there is no demand.
Even though they had a 100-year run of usefulness, and employed almost a million people at their peak, the 80s saw the end of punch card machines.
You have to let innovation supplant obsolete tech.
[quoted image]

We used to have a punch card reader, when I started working at my first real job. On a rainy day, the guys running it used to empty the chads into someone's umbrella.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darthpaul.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread?tu=darthpaul and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.