ford-charge-station-pro-install-with-1-conduit-this-time-v0-e1kcy3p1c3za1.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Image 4-21-24 at 1.05?PM (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 13-53-01 Who Wants a Loud Car (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 18-12-04 reddit (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 8.32.26?AM (resized).png
used (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cconway84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#654 2 years ago

Love my model s and model y. Definitely will buy again. Have about 90k miles between the two. Charge both at work for free. I wish Tesla sold drivetrains to third party builders like porsche though. Would solve the quality control issues. Parts availability is poor also. Waiting 3 months now for a fender after a minor accident. I’ll never give up my corvette with manual transmission for track duty though.

69D48684-7D57-49CC-923D-E8DE256F02DC (resized).jpeg69D48684-7D57-49CC-923D-E8DE256F02DC (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#815 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Up to 1,000 mile range
Recharge via Solar up to 40 miles a day
Starts at $26,000
https://aptera.us/[quoted image]

The engineering behind this is impressive. Interior space looks good and Trunk area is quite long but probably not enough depth to hold a pin without keeping hatch open. Biggest reason I would pass is safety. This is classified as a motorcycle and doesn’t need to meet passenger vehicle safety standards.

#819 2 years ago

Great video that reviews the Aptera in current prototype form.

#822 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

one being worked on...So do they have production facilities ??? or are they the Deeproot of EVs ???
[quoted image]

This is their beta prototype where they are revising suspension, improving subsystems for easy assembly and repair etc. No cars in production yet. Only 2-3 prototypes in existence.

They claim to use 100 watt hours per mile. My Tesla model s is is more like 335 watt hours per mile. Even at 100 watt hours per mile they would need a 100kw battery pack to hit the 1000 mile range. That car was in the 40k plus range on their website. I think the sweet spot on this would be the 400 mile model that was substantially cheaper.

Their plans for repair include QR codes throughout the vehicle linking to videos showing you how to fix things. They will ship you or your mechanic parts to fix broken stuff. Encouraging to see right to repair taken seriously.

4 months later
#2971 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I agree with most of what you said there, but I don't think CC is why most new EV buyers switch.
People are just finding out they are better due to:
- Instant, smooth power (it really is a game changer)
- Reduced cost to run (fuel)
- Reduced service costs (almost maintenance free)
- Other disruptive innovations (self-driving, phone-as-key, etc.)
As I said earlier, the first time I drove an EV I was blown away with how much better it was. The things just GO. There is no drama, noise and vibration rowing through gears at the redline to get performance...it's just there. And it's always there, at any speed.

This is why I have two Teslas. Not because I want to sacrifice performance, usability, etc. But because as a daily driver they are better in almost every aspect than the gas cars I replaced. Still I won't be selling my manual 2017 Corvette. Perfect 180 degree experience to the Tesla.

#3123 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

She loves everything about the way the Tesla operates, including the charging network.
She has seen first-hand the clunkiness of my software and charging network and wants no part of it, which I totally get.
If Tesla made more than 4 cars I might find one I liked too, but I can't stand driving something I see everywhere.

This is why I can’t buy a model 3. Don’t want people to think I am their Uber.

If Tesla opens the supercharger network to third party EVs that will be huge and force the charging industry competition to improve.

1 week later
#3277 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Well sorry, but it's true and it was a fairly nonsensical request because nobody had to change their behavior.

The majority would charge overnight especially if time of use billing is implemented. I charge at 2am even though it isn’t cheaper for me. There will always be a few that don’t due to indifference. They need to set the cars up for timed charging overnight as the default at your home location and then you could manually override if necessary.

1 month later
#3702 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

I too would not recommend keying, vandalizing, or stealing plates. Many cars have dashcams now, locations have surveillance cameras, and just cameras everywhere these days. It’s not worth the thousands you may pay for your actions.

Not worth risking a fight or criminal charges over charging. But I will say I equally despise EV owners that park at a charger for 30-60 min of charging (hospital wall charger) then leave their car for another 8 hours when it is already done charging. I see this everyday at work. Common courtesy is hard to come by. Don't charge everyday at work just when you need it. Then move your car when it is done.

#3718 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

I don't know if any other cars do this, but when my car has finished charging, it turns the charging indicator to orange and unlocks the port so anyone can unplug it to charge their car. There are a few situations where this has come in handy, such as when there is one EV charger accessible from multiple spaces; when my car is done, someone can pull into one of the other spaces, unplug my car and charge theirs.
But most of the time, the charger is only accessible from one dedicated space, so this feature isn't as useful. Though I have never occupied such a charger long enough for my car to finish charging and be idle.

Teslas will not unlock the charge port unless the car is unlocked. If you are using a j1772 to tesla adapter they could unplug the charger from your adapter and use the charger even if you aren't done charging.

#3765 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Maybe we should start a charging station extension chord business together. Challenge would be minimizing weight of 100' cable for all EV's to carry with them at all times and design an anti-theft technology for it. Maybe we could figure out a way for it to emit a low voltage shock to anyone touching it except the owner.

I actually have a 25' Nema 14-50 extension cord I have used at airbnbs or relatives houses. Lets me plug into a dryer outlet and charge with the Tesla mobile connector. Doesn't do anything for public J1772 or tesla superchargers obviously.

1 (resized).png1 (resized).png
#3829 1 year ago

Some asshat in a F250 tried to roll coal on me as I merged onto the highway and he slowed way down to 30 or 40 right in front of me to roll coal. Joke was on him when I passed him towing a 1800lb Uhaul trailer and he tried to accelerate to prevent the pass and couldn’t. Dual motor model Y. Only sad sentry mode didn’t get the license plate number.

#3839 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It’s probably illegal anywhere that checks emissions.

New Jersey caught a guy listing his diesel truck on FB marketplace with modified emissions system. Them made him either scrap the truck or return it to stock setup which would have cost him 10k. He scrapped it.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a40733652/new-jersey-scanning-facebook-for-coal-rolling-diesels-threatening-sellers-with-jail/

#3898 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

What are you talking about???
Take your drone out, and look at the south facing roofs in your neighborhood.
All the cool kids are living directly under their solar panels.
Could not be any closer.
[quoted image]

47DB01D0-81BF-4527-B424-607A9EE9D5BC (resized).jpeg47DB01D0-81BF-4527-B424-607A9EE9D5BC (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#4123 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

These guys seem to be EV enthusiasts, but still searching for an EV that can tow an average trailer more than 100 miles per charge. The latest is the EV Hummer:

Agree that I wouldn’t consider an EV if I needed towing capacity. They are great for use as a daily driver and they are fun and fast. Always charged when I wake up in the morning. Easy to add as a second car in the family. Takes a bit more commitment if you go with two evs in the family as I have. Very doable for longer trips but it does give up some flexibility in choosing refueling location and timing.

Pretty much everyone with an ev here could have chosen a comparable gas car if they wanted to. We bought evs because we feel they were the better or more fun choice for our needs.

That being said I hope gas cars for enthusiasts continue to exist. I love naturally aspirated v8s and hope to have a v12 someday.

#4223 1 year ago

I love all the people bashing evs. As if we couldn’t afford a gas vehicle if we wanted one. Lol. I get that they may not be for everyone and that is fine. But there is a reason that ev buyers buy more evs again by a huge margin. They are that good in daily use. Let the market decide.

Saw a lucid air at dinner and would definitely like to upgrade my ride to this.

C56B57C6-F687-4BAB-ABE3-2870AB38A66F (resized).jpegC56B57C6-F687-4BAB-ABE3-2870AB38A66F (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#4470 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

You can set a % over. I’ve thought that was interesting. It’s definitely too fast driving through the neighborhoods. So I bump it down quite a bit.

Tesla allows you to go 5 over on surface streets with basic autopilot. But if you have the FSD beta they charge 15k for (I have it) there isn’t a limit on surface streets.

#4473 1 year ago

https://electrek.co/2022/11/25/tesla-supercharger-blocked-by-mercedes-eqs-owned-by-dealer-apparent-publicity-stunt/

Is it still icing if the car blocking access is a EV from Mercedes?

D5D9BA8D-7E32-4D3C-84BD-024C28D96713 (resized).jpegD5D9BA8D-7E32-4D3C-84BD-024C28D96713 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#4612 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

less than 8 years, since none of the auto giants have any consumer ICE plans after that
We'll end up like Cuba, with Ford engines installed in Chevys, just to keep burning oil.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/profiles/a32884239/meteor-engine-swap-ford-crown-victoria/

If we are talking engine swaps this is my favorite. 27 liter tank engine into a crown Vic. 24 liters of fuel per min delivered by the injectors making 2500hp.

1 week later
#4858 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Get back to me in a year
Can't even configure it or see what the price will be, all you can do is give them a grand to hold

Rivian has great paint colors. I’d go for the green or blue personally.

1C845499-22C0-490E-B8D6-E0900CAFD8FD (resized).jpeg1C845499-22C0-490E-B8D6-E0900CAFD8FD (resized).jpeg
#4861 1 year ago

Drag race where the Tesla plaid comes in last place.

I think it is interesting how they explain the superiority of electric motors for traction control and launch mode. Electric has the ability to vary power output 1000x per second between 0 and full torque. The gas Bugatti Chiron can vary power more like 3x per second and still requires time for the engine and turbos to spool.

The Ducati was partially lifting the front wheel the entire race it was accelerating so hard and it still lost to a sedan.

Put me in a 1200hp Lucid sapphire edition so I can dust Ducati sport bikes in the 1/4 mile.

#4865 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

A few points about the video:
- Bugatties are the ugliest hyper car there is. I’ve never understood their allure from a styling perspective.
- How much is the Lucid for comparison to Plaid?
- This is how you win over masses of people to electric - emphasize and demonstrate performance, instead of trying to guilt them into joining your cult.
- A drag race is one thing, but I’d like to see the cars compete on a winding road with curves. Acceleration is superior, but how about overall handling and performance?
- PLEASE produce/show sports car EVs instead of the constant barrage of 4-door family sedans. I want to see something that actually rivals their ICE counterparts in style and purpose. I know there are EV sports cars, and I sort of get the point of showing how our father of four dad car can beet your single billionaire playboy car, but come on. There is so much more to cars than the 1/4 mile.
- Outdragging the Ducati bike is pretty awesome. I’d love to see the look on a street biker’s face when their crotch rocket gets left in the dust.
- What about other factors? How much drain is dragging like this to an EV? Top speeds? Etc. Video left me curious about a lot of the details.
Finally, my favorite part of the video was actually the guy’s arrogant Frenchman impersonation - that was funny.

Lucid sapphire 0-60 in 1.89 sec. Top speed 205. It isn’t out yet but is supposedly going to be 250k vs 130-140k for a plaid.
I agree that Bugattis vehicles aren’t my taste for styling. Ferrari or Porsche design is much more timeless.

Electric cars are generally trash for circuit racing due to weight. I enjoy track days in my c7 manual corvette grand sport much more than I ever would in a plaid. Cornering speed and braking even with aftermarket carbon ceramic rotors will never match the corvette. Brake system and tire wear will be extreme with the weight. The only electric vehicle I’d like to track is the Porsche cayman gt4e prototype. Electric vehicles are generally one trick ponies with straight line acceleration.

I think high performance EVs have all adopted the sedan format because of the needed space and weight of the battery pack. They need a large footprint for the skateboard arrangement of cells in the floor. Can’t stuff that into a small carbon tub at the moment.

2 weeks later
#5105 1 year ago

After like 2 years you can get your plaid s or x with a round steering wheel again.

3B69F607-EC2F-41BE-A133-4C468E625075 (resized).jpeg3B69F607-EC2F-41BE-A133-4C468E625075 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#5168 1 year ago

I bought the FSD package on my 2016 Model S. It was finally activated this month when I got the camera upgrade required.

I wanted to buy a new Model X plaid with the price cuts but I don’t want to spend 15k on FSD again. I offered to buy the X if they would transfer over my FSD software from my model S that just started working this month but Tesla declined. Wouldn’t have cost them a dime to do but I understand how they want us to buy the software again and again w each vehicle.

I’m enjoying playing with it for the 3k it cost on my model S in 2016. 15k on a new car not so much.

#5211 1 year ago

300lbs heavier than the Z06 per car and driver. Within 5k msrp of the Z06. Might be nice as a grand tourer but weighs almost 4000 lbs and doesn't have that flat plane crank scream. Z06 will continue to be hard to come by. Eray will have my Chevy dealer calling me trying to make a sale. I’ll stick with my z51 C8.

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

While it doesn't plugin, the E-Ray is the quickest Corvette ever with 0-60 at 2.5 seconds and the quarter mile in 10.5 seconds. Still has V8 powertrain that drives the rears while electric motors drive the fronts for all wheel drive traction.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

626AD1A7-D7F8-49AE-B371-0628BF36863D (resized).jpeg626AD1A7-D7F8-49AE-B371-0628BF36863D (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#5250 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

That’s just a small part of the equation, you’re not going on to a lot and finding a 3-5 yr old Tesla for $20k. Also what’s the current wait time on a new Tesla? Americans are an impatient bunch

Looks like wait time is 0-5 weeks for a model 3.

CC847F7D-65A4-4701-B531-838EDAC15AED (resized).jpegCC847F7D-65A4-4701-B531-838EDAC15AED (resized).jpeg
#5305 1 year ago

I was up 10x on my original purchase of shares. After adding a larger position at higher prices I’m still up 3x on money I’ve put in.

4 weeks later
2 months later
#6503 11 months ago
Quoted from twinturb089:

In 2019, Elon Musk claimed that a battery replacement would cost the owners about $5,000-$7,000. However, when you include labor costs and the overall market situation, well… let’s just say the figures are different today.
Here are a couple of price examples:
Anywhere around $13,000-$20,000 for Models S
At least $14,000 for a Model X premium SUV
At least $13,000 for a Model 3 entry-level sedan
Even though the figures are considerable, your warranty should cover all that. But if you got the short end of a stick or went with used, you’ll have to pay out of pocket. Generally, battery replacement cost is one of the reasons electric vehicles are not as popular as they could be.

I wish tesla would release numbers on how many paid battery replacements have actually taken place. From my sample of 2-300 people in my local tesla group the early model s (2012-2014) cars had a number of battery and drive units replaced under warranty. Since around 2015 model year I haven’t heard of any. I think battery replacement is an overblown concern.

3 months later
#8625 8 months ago

Just picked up a model x plaid. This will be my 3rd Tesla. Trying to decide do I sell my S or Y. Or keep them all.

IMG_5520 (resized).jpegIMG_5520 (resized).jpeg71217233016__871F4E3B-E982-4BC0-A338-1CEBAEF89662 (resized).jpeg71217233016__871F4E3B-E982-4BC0-A338-1CEBAEF89662 (resized).jpegIMG_5497 (resized).jpegIMG_5497 (resized).jpegIMG_5593 (resized).jpegIMG_5593 (resized).jpeg
#8639 8 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Congratulations. Totally wicked specs on that one. It's more care than I could ever afford, want, or need. Is that ridiculous steering wheel the only way to get it? 90% of my driving is with my left hand perched the 12:00 position.

This was an inventory car so it came with the yoke. I could retrofit a standard oem wheel if I hate it for $750. But I got a 3500 discount by taking this vehicle so I figured I’d try it.

2 weeks later
#8788 8 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

While admittedly that is kind of rude if not just a photo op, I wonder how long before someone starts selling aftermarket faux EV charger receptacles for ICE vehicles. Package it with some EV badging and now you've got yourself a faux EV conversion vehicle that can park anywhere with impunity.

https://jalopnik.com/wise-guy-figures-out-a-way-to-park-free-on-college-camp-1846830481

This guy did it with his wrangler to park for free on campus. Now that jeep actually makes a plug in wrangler it would be harder to tell.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cconway84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread?tu=cconway84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.