IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2306 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2355 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2384 (resized).jpeg
Bloody Hell (resized).png
IMG_6441 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 12.40.13?PM (resized).png
truck  (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 20-43-13 Ohio just voted to legalize recreational marijuana. See a list of every state where cannabis i
IMG_20240304_193126.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 21-55-03 Shell to close 1 000 gas stations globally focus on EV charging (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 17-01-33 A coal billionaire is building the world’s biggest clean energy plant and it’s five times the
f-150-lightning-switchgear-40-65a81a0876c32 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#979 1 year ago

Over at my day job we just reviewed the new electric Ford F-150

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/05/the-most-important-ev-of-the-decade-we-drive-the-f-150-lightning/

If I was in the market for a truck like this it feels like a no brainer. The frunk (ugh hate that word) alone is such a huge value add. It's bigger than the trunk on my coupe.

I personally find politicizing ICE vs EV incredibly tedious. Does everything about our lives have to revolve around tribes?

But, that said, I agree with our car editor that this is an important vehicle to cross over into another kind of buyer who wasn't looking at Teslas.

#985 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Doesn't make too much sense to me but sounds like it's well received. It seems like most truck buyers would want a more serious truck and most ev buyers don't need a truck.

I don't understand what you mean here honestly.

I mean, it's literally the best selling truck, so I don't think "most truck buyers want a more serious truck" really makes sense? There are other truck needs, for sure, but this is an incredibly popular version.

And "most EV buyers don't need a truck" is also a strange sentence to me. What does that mean? Like, if I was a truck driver, paying current pump prices, and I could have the same truck experience but with cheaper electricity, a frunk to store my tools and stuff safely, and the added bonus of things like powering said tools off my truck at the work site, how does that not sound at least interesting?

I think the point here is "most EV buyers" is an idea that's aging into irrelevance. When it was Tesla or nothing, sure. But we're growing past that.

#996 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

My point was that the ev F150 will not be the same truck experience. Ev cars are different and that usually attracts certain types of buyers.

Sure, you get a frunk and you don't go to gas stations and pay crazy fuel prices since you charge at home every night and the daily conveniences seem pretty great. Weighed against that is the range problem, if you're making regular 300 mile trips you might be a bit more cautious about the charging infrastructure. That part is definitely understandable.

But I dunno what else is so crazy that only a "certain type of buyer" is in.

Calling it not a "serious truck" just strikes me as a strange thing to say. Because it doesn't burn gasoline? Electric engine are torque monsters, I don't think it makes for anything unserious.

I guess I'm just missing what exactly the experience you're referring to is. Most truck buyers aren't rolling coal morons or anything like that.

#1023 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

You cannot imagine why people buy diesel trucks or heavy duty trucks? Ev trucks are not going to tow heavy trailers long distances or drive job to job all over a large city all day weighed down with tools/equipment.

I agree that long distance hauling isn’t the best use case. Few people actually do that regularly. If you do maybe you’re not a great EV adopter right now.

The electric F-150 will have zero issues towing anything around a large city all day though, it’s a non issue.

Regardless, we’re talking about existing F-150 buyers, the most popular truck, and not people who wouldn’t even buy an ICE version because it didn’t fit their needs.

#1027 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

For some sure but depends on the city. In my home town, it takes a good hour and a half to drive through the general city area of Houston. With traffic, much more. Work trucks may service communities even further out. Add in towing and hauling equipment and I just don't see it working. No doubt plenty of people will buy the lightning f150 who don't do a ton of driving.

I'm just confused by what you're trying to say here. An electric F-150 can drive through Houston in traffic. Are you thinking the battery can't last a few hours? It's not running off AAAs. "Doing a ton of driving" is exactly the use case for buying an EV. Driving in traffic is a perfect use case, an electric motor is much more efficient for that type of driving.

I agree if you're doing a ton of long range driving it might be something to stop and evaluate. City stop and go ain't it though. We have traffic in LA too, still crawling in Teslas.

#1049 1 year ago

I’m looking forward to forgetting this thread exists in 10 years. But to everyone from the future reading this I hope it’s cooler than 2022.

#1079 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I really couldn't care less about CEO's views of the products I purchase,
what keeps me from a Tesla is basic quality issues people are still complaining about

I generally agree, I can't be researching every officer of a company before I buy their products. But gotta admit, Elon Musk's manbaby act and the constant need to keep reminding me of it has made me pretty uninterested in ever owning a Tesla.

Luckily everyone else is catching up to making EVs and I couldn't care less about their self driving garbage.

#1087 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Lots of members posting they like Tesla, but not Musk in the last 24hrs? Was there something in the news???

I mean, you'd kinda have to not be paying attention at all for the last couple years to not realize he's not the genius Tesla superfans love to paint him as. Most CEOs don't open their mouths to tell you what they think because they're smart enough to stay quiet and stack their money. He shows his ass on the regular because he's having a mid life crisis and can't just buy a Porsche to get it over with.

He was born rich, had enough money that people never said no to his ideas, and used that money to hire a bunch of people smarter than him make them work. Then he spends his days getting into fights on Twitter.

#1106 1 year ago

If you're an Elon Musk fan do you. I don't respect him.

I think EVs are an important part of our future, and I'm happy to give Tesla credit for helping really get it all going, I'm not bitter about it. I just don't particularly want their badge in my driveway. Nor am I remotely interested in their self driving shenanigans, and the "go fast, break things" way the company is run software-wise.

I'll wait for someone else to make an EV I'm interested in. Everyone is starting to get on board new, there will be plenty of choices. Hopefully after the market is less insane and I can just pay retail for something instead of some gouged markup.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.