3%
  • Neutral 95 votes
    19%
  • *I actually like EVs* 269 votes
    55%

(489 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 16-44-36 EV vs. Gas Which Cars Are Cheaper to Own (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 7.44.38?AM (resized).png
IMG_5069 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 8.10.29?AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-17-22 Ford targets Tesla owners with $1 500 EV 'conquest' rebates (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-19-38 Family Own A Tesla Get $1 500 Off A Ford Mustang Mach-E Carscoops (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 11-54-36 Best Solar Generator for Home Backup Power EcoFlow US (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 09-48-53 EcoFlow DELTA Pro 2 × 220W Solar Panel DELTA Pro Extra Battery D - (Members-only) DELTA Pro 2
248edf2c-1a41-4790-a83f-64f0bd20ad95 (resized).png
f285d5d3-ceec-4b7f-a741-0770ba2431ef (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240409_134107.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
200w.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ReadyPO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6438 11 months ago

In the last three decades, the cost of desalination has dropped by more than half and more plants have come on line. California, for instance has 11 plants with 10 more proposed. The water costs about twice of that from other freshwater sources. Guess that would double my water bill from $30 to $60 a month - certainly affordable (btw, Israel gets over 1/2 of its water from desalination and the average bill in 2016 was $30, about the same as the U.S.).

That is not to say that desalination doesn't have issues - It does take energy, but a lot less than it use to, and for every gallon of freshwater, a gallon of higher brine seawater must be disposed of. Still, the point is just like gains in solar panel efficiencies have boosted solar production as being more cost-effective, so has gains in desalination efficiency made this option quite viable (and needed).

1 week later
#6584 11 months ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Norway is the example???
Norway is like 3.5% the size of United States and the US has 332 Million more people...

Quoted from vid1900:

If something works in a small scale test, It will absolutely fail when scaled up.

Ironically, Norway is the fifth largest oil exporter in the world and oil revenues make up around 15% of their GDP (by contrast the US is the number two largest importer, and oil as a percent of US GDP has rarely been above 8% and has been falling for some time). Bottom line, over the years, much of Norway's wealth was generated by North Sea Oil. Not knocking their push to EVs, just point out that oil output per capita made them the wealthy nation they are today, and is is not an "apples to apples" comparison by any means.

Maybe their push is due to a little collective guilt for providing the world with so much of our greenhouse gases (again per capita), or maybe it is just shrewd business. I vote the later. They are pushing forward on Thorium nuclear reactors, and just happen to have an estimated 15% of the worlds supply of Thorium (the name should give that away). It is certainly a lot easier to "lead the way" where your natural resources are much more vast than the 5.5 million population they serve. EV incentives (reduced tolls, more tax on ICE vehicles, more charging stations) are in large part paid for with the generated national wealth from oil. Again, not knocking Norway (my wife is of Norwegian heritage), I applaud their efforts, I just don't see the applicability to the US's situation.

9 months later
#9534 70 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Big Oil gets a TRILLION dollars a year in subsidies.

Quoted from HobbyGuy:

You know how much our subsidies are for the oil companies?

I was curious what the subsidies that are being quoted are, so I looked it up - the talking point of "trillions in subsidies" is reported, but the underlying data was a little harder to find. It appears that most of the subsidies being quote are "Implicit" with just about eight percent explicit. Implicit includes: Underpricing for local air pollution costs, global warming costs, congestion and road accidents (guess this one applies to EV too) and foregone consumption tax revenue (also applies to EVs). I didn't find a breakdown of the explicit costs (like tax credits I assume), and no comparison of what other credits other businesses (including the EV 's tax credits and no motor fuel tax) might get.

But by the definition above, I wonder if we are being subsidized every time we fart methane...

To be clear, I will probably own an EV one day, but when free market forces make them the clear winner. That day might not be that far off, if the current premature EV push didn't sour the pot for too many major automotive manufacturers. There is a lot of competing battery technology just on the horizon (lithium-sulfur for one) that will change the battery life, charging time, battery costs, and other major detractors that may eventually put EVs over the top. We will also need major investment in our electrical production, and ultimately that means nuclear, either meltdown proof fission or hopefully fusion. EV supporters need to get on the nuclear power plant bandwagon.

#9561 68 days ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

so I just had to put in an outlet, which cost me maybe $30.

Hopefully you did not use a standard NEMA 14-50 from Home Depot or Lowes. They are not designed for continuous use as in a car charger overnight or frequent plug-in/removals, and have an issue with overheating and lowered amperage. Eventually, those will fail and do so spectacularly. Preferrably, get a Hubbell ($100 or more due to demand) or the cheaper (but still made by Hubbell and essentially the same) $50 Bryant.

14 50 failure (resized).jpg14 50 failure (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ReadyPO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread?tu=ReadyPO and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.