3%
  • Neutral 95 votes
    19%
  • *I actually like EVs* 269 votes
    55%

(489 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 16-44-36 EV vs. Gas Which Cars Are Cheaper to Own (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 7.44.38?AM (resized).png
IMG_5069 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 8.10.29?AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-17-22 Ford targets Tesla owners with $1 500 EV 'conquest' rebates (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-19-38 Family Own A Tesla Get $1 500 Off A Ford Mustang Mach-E Carscoops (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 11-54-36 Best Solar Generator for Home Backup Power EcoFlow US (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 09-48-53 EcoFlow DELTA Pro 2 × 220W Solar Panel DELTA Pro Extra Battery D - (Members-only) DELTA Pro 2
248edf2c-1a41-4790-a83f-64f0bd20ad95 (resized).png
f285d5d3-ceec-4b7f-a741-0770ba2431ef (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240409_134107.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
200w.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinless.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2233 1 year ago
Quoted from blasius01:

This is how I feel about ev lol
[quoted image]

Whatever you do, don’t try to pass or race a Rivian R1T. That EV will embarrass the 2nd quickest truck ever produced.

#2257 1 year ago
Quoted from poppapin:I can't help you if you can't see what's going on.

What was going on when the price of oil went negative a couple years ago?

Did they not want people to buy EV’s?

Were they trying to sell the last remaining gas guzzlers to clear them off the lot?

#2260 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

You last one is lie, your not supposed to "fill" last 80% unless you want to damage the battery.

It’s fine to go to 100% for long trips or if you have an LFP battery.

It’s unnecessary for >99% of people’s daily commuting.

#2311 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Oh boy…
[quoted image]

It’s not really that big of a deal. We were already being asked not to run appliances from 3-8pm.

All you do is set your charging schedule to non-peak times. End results are still the same.

You wake up to a car that has more range than your daily commute requires and your fuel price isn’t dependent on a global market.

The Texas power grid issues could be a separate topic for another thread. It’s a complete disaster.

FD02A142-5FEF-4C24-BED7-BE9F8584B3F9 (resized).jpegFD02A142-5FEF-4C24-BED7-BE9F8584B3F9 (resized).jpeg
#2312 1 year ago

I wonder if these folks claim they fill up their cars in 3 minutes, far less time than charging an EV…

63A542DB-68CA-4313-98E7-8DB60C84890E (resized).jpeg63A542DB-68CA-4313-98E7-8DB60C84890E (resized).jpeg
#2316 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

for the last two weeks I hit Sam's club at 6AM, NO waiting at that time, and 3 minutes to fuel, adding 400 miles. Then a 30 minute drive to take my step son to his medical appointment at 7am. Note the price is about $.50 per gallon cheaper and that is why you see lines like the one pictured above.

So you could say I was "off peak hours" charging.
Remember that adding 400 miles in 3 minutes, equals 8000 miles per hour charge rate.

Does that 3 minutes include your travel time to/from Sam’s?

How much of that fuel did you burn to get there and then return home?

What’s the cost these days to fuel up in “3 minutes”?

Your fuel tank is never 100% full when you’re at home /s

#2318 1 year ago

ICE Off-Peak charging:

1. Wake up at 5:30am to avoid lines
2. Get dressed
3. Drive 18 minutes (10 miles) to the gas station
4. Pay $3-$5/gallon
5. Drive 18 minutes (10 miles) back home

EV Off-Peak charging:
1. Plug car in whenever (car knows when to charge)
2. Go do other things
3. Pay 12 cents/kWh (<$10)

#2370 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:Neither is your battery since it's at 80% normally.

It has been to 100% several times, but don’t tell anyone.

#2422 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Changed my order to the standard Tesla 3 for the anticipated future tax rebate (under $55k), felt sick about it and reverted back to the long range. It’s what I want and have learned from previous mistakes to not compromise.

I’m curious to see which bucket the Y fallls into considering it’s called a “crossover SUV”.

1 week later
#2527 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Could be, but it also could just be that the Taycan was designed for faster charging from the outset with its 800 volt architecture.

Were you using Level 2 or Level 3 superchargers?

#2529 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

With regard to EVs, Level 2 is AC overnight charging; Level 3 is any "fast" DC charger.
Any supercharger is "Level 3" though they do come in v2 (150kW) and v3 (250kW) variants. We used both on the trip.
Checking my charge tracker app:
24min 5sec in Abbott TX for +39%
19min 30sec in Austin for +31%
15min 37sec in New Braunfels for +19%
Return trip:
42min 49sec in Round Rock for +50%
37min 48sec in Abbott TX for +43%

Thanks for clarifying. I was referring to v2 or v3.

#2687 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX: BTW exhaust gas charging is supercharging, turbocharging is blowing air into the intake.

Are you saying Procharger, Vortech and Paxton make turbochargers, not superchargers, since they blow air into intakes?

#2772 1 year ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

Once most folks find they have anywhere from a 45 minute to 4 hour wait to charge for another 200-300 miles of travel, they'll abandon EVs. Current technology makes no sense here.

Being an engineer, could you show us the math and explain how it would take 4 hours to charge from a 250 kw or 350 kw charger?

I’ve traveled 300+ miles many times.

We are usually stopping for lunch after a few hours of driving whether we are in an ICE car or EV.

With an EV, we grab some food, plug into a supercharger, and by the time we finish eating we are done charging.

45 minutes to charge is the absolute longest/worst case scenario at a v2 supercharger. With a v3, there’s almost no way you’re plugged in for 45 minutes. V4 is coming soon.

#2791 1 year ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:Sure, happy to go through the math with you. I’ll use your figure of 45 minutes to full charge.
1) Arrive at supercharger.
2) You find 4 people waiting in front of you (this was the point of my comment, see the quote “once EVs have more market penetration, you'll be waiting to get at that charger, too. Once most folks find they have anywhere from a 45 minute to 4 hour wait”)
3) Now for the complicated math part. I’ll try to keep it as simple as possible. 5x45 minutes = 225 minutes = 3.75 hours.
There you go! Happy to help!

Why stop at 4? Make it imaginary 50 people in front of you. You’d be there for days.

#2811 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Far as I know, the Y is the only Tesla eligible and it must be delivered in 2023. Who knows? Tesla 3 doesn’t qualify because it either goes over the $55k or the battery comes from China (std model).

Tesla model 3 standard range is <$55k. Have you seen the Y confirmed as being considered an SUV?

#2830 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

No one mandated cars be gas. Early ones were electric and steam also. No one said once your horse dies, you'll be required to buy a gas car unless you want an old used horse.

Horses don’t quite impact the environment like billions of ICE.

People may still deny climate change, but you don’t see big oil denying it. Look at Shell, Exxon and others and how they’re trying to pivot to greener solutions. Carbon capture, biofuels, etc..

#2835 1 year ago

Have to admit, squeegees were not on my EV Hater Bingo card.

#2840 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I guess tezlas have bug proof glass like the cybertruck has bulletproof glass,but not rock-proof 8=( .
And salt spray from winter roads? tezla are made in California and soon Texas no snow and salted roads there.

Soon is now. Teslas are now made in Texas.

#2841 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

a 'Slightly' modified PT Cruiser does a wheel stand for 1/4 mile... No real world application, I know of... but it looked like fun
can your EV do that?
[quoted image]

Yes, it can.

64BBDDD8-FCB8-4D0B-B783-782B4804607E (resized).jpeg64BBDDD8-FCB8-4D0B-B783-782B4804607E (resized).jpeg
#2846 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

the factory is running full production?

You just said they’ll soon be made in Texas.

They’re making them as you’re typing your response to this post.

They are not in “full production “, but they have cars leaving the factory everyday for delivery.

#2855 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

So I'm not gonna lie...I had a bad EV day today.
I went from Dallas to Temple - generally going to Round Rock or Austin is something I frequently do and it's usually no big deal with the Bellmead (Waco) EA charger in the middle.
Today on the way out, it had me use an EVGo charger in DeSoto on the way out.
Weird, but I rolled with it. It gave me another charger to add to my app.
After meeting in Temple, on the way back the car wanted me to *continue* going south to Georgetown and pick up some lame Chargepoint charger at like 65kW.
I said screw you car and forced my way to Bellmead instead...which is when I discovered 4/6 chargers were dead, and there was a wait for the two that worked. Lovely. When it goes to my turn, the car suggested I bail out of there for Ennis after a short amount, which I did.
When I got to Ennis, 3/4 chargers were dead. No wait, but the one that worked was less than 50% the rated speed and only delivered 65kW.
Long story short, EA was trash today and it made my drive home suck.
You can see how much charge time and overhead I had.[quoted image][quoted image]

Tesla Supercharger network opening up to all OEM’s would change the game.

#2879 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

My very first car was a Ford and it was such an incredible POS it swore me off them for life.
81 Mustang.

Ouch, that was definitely not a good year. My first car was a 93 Mustang GT. I’ve been a car nut ever since.

#2884 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Good news, my Tesla 3 is available for pickup this Saturday. The bad news, I don’t like the terms.
If financed, I’d need to put down $20k. Probably only have about $12k available, could trade in my recently paid off Tacoma(that ain’t gonna happen) or take out an equity loan on my home(not that stupid, can’t believe I even considered it).
Other option is the lease. $8k down and roughly $725 month for either 24 or 36 months. Poor option since there is no residual option to purchase at the end. You think I’m gonna pay $25k to drive a car 20,000 miles? Elon must laugh when that option is chosen.
So I guess its come up with $20k early next year and take advantage of the $7500 tax credit, Model Y looks likes my best option. Kinda like the looks of the 3 more.
Or maybe my “itch” will go away and I’ll just continue driving the Tacoma.

I haven’t seen a confirmation that the “crossover SUV” Y, will be considered an SUV under the new law.

There are credit unions out there that give 1.9% financing up to 84 months. Not sure if that’s helpful in your situation.

#2889 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

The EV haters are going to love this video. 90 minutes of complaining about EV charging in America.

Do folks really spend 1.5 hours of their lives watching people ramble on about their random EV charging experiences from their bedrooms?

#2909 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:It still ain’t happening, think I’ll wait until next year to make a decision.
[quoted image]

Not sure when you ordered, but they can cancel your order after 9 months.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinless.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread?tu=Pinless and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.