ford-charge-station-pro-install-with-1-conduit-this-time-v0-e1kcy3p1c3za1.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Image 4-21-24 at 1.05?PM (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 13-53-01 Who Wants a Loud Car (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 18-12-04 reddit (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 8.32.26?AM (resized).png
used (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Neal_W.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 2 years ago

EV/propane/pigPoop whatever is fine for a vehicle that moves stuff around a warehouse/dock/port/field all day where the fuel is.

I'm satisfied with my 40mpg hybrid SUV pinhauler for practical use.

#151 2 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

we have not see the sun in Michigan months

Solar works with direct and indirect light. Sure direct is better but I doubt there is 100% rain in your forecast.

#152 2 years ago

Doctor EV-il.

#367 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

How long do you think it will take to overcome these issues?

We will be all be dust before reliable self driving is realized.

1 week later
#486 2 years ago

I thought I heard that the port of Los Angeles was going all electric years ago. I see now they have taken delivery of 5 hydrogen Kenworth/Toyota Semis and have 5 more on the way and are working with Shell for hydrogen. Got to cut down that LA smog somehow.

#531 2 years ago

If you want to stick it to the oil companies, you can walk/bike/bus/train/subway/metro/carpool or drive a little slower.

Saw this posted and it made me lol - If we all stopped driving for 2 weeks, we could flatten the curve.

#574 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Just think how easy it would be to hack the system of one of these cars to program it to get it into an accident targeting death/injury to one of its occupants

..im thinking not very easy.

#587 2 years ago

Lots of posts about Tesla ghost braking. If my adaptive cruise control slows unnecessarily, such as when the car ahead is slowing to exit or make a turn and is moving out of the way, I can simply push the gas pedal to maintain my speed with no problem.

Is ghost breaking preventing the driver from pushing the accelerator to keep going?

1 week later
#667 2 years ago

#680 2 years ago

Lucky that nobody pulled out of their driveway just then.

I'm surprised that homeowners weren't out there calling the police after the crash. Seemed like he went back there later and nobody was around. (I rewatched and the car was gone and just junk and car parts left, maybe the driver towed if off quickly to avoid getting busted?)

2 weeks later
#738 2 years ago

Leaky fuel lines account for some carbeques. Watched a school friends Camaro burn down while we were on a long drive, after he installed the Holley carb upgrade himself.

#744 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Here’s a graphic I found on the completely pro-EV information filter known as the “internet”:

Dang! Hybrids are more than 2x as likely to catch fire as ICE. Wonder what the deal is with that? The same article mentions the big cause of fires for ICE is collisions, so hybrid have that risk also with their gas engines.

#753 2 years ago

But what is the risk of real pinball vs virtual pinball starting the garage on fire?

I don't care about 100s of titles in one cab! I'm a purist and only play the genuine coil smoking, plastic melting, fuse blowing, transistor burning type of pinball.

#767 2 years ago

Yup, when young, my friends and I would fill the dirt bikes gas tanks and accidently spill the gas on the hot engine, and the gas would steam off in a big cloud. Static or a spark is needed to start the chemical reaction. My friends Camaro that burned up probably had arcing plug wire to start the fuel leak fire in that case.

Make sure to ground yourself before reaching for the gas filler nozzle after filling up to minimize the chance of any static with all those fumes around!

#776 2 years ago

Driverless EV stopped by SFPD.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/10/video-shows-what-happens-when-a-driverless-car-gets-pulled-over.html?__source=xfinity%7Cheadline&par=xfinity

I guess they are mainly for night deliveries in downtown SF. I don't trust driverless, but I trust them more than a drunk driver!

#781 2 years ago

Don't blame the EV for needing a charge, blame the hell belching generators.

Maybe EV should have a PowerShare feature like Samsung phones?

Along those lines.. What if my hybird could charge other batteries besides its own? It would still burn gas to charge a dead EV, but it's a nicer solution than hauling around a generator and jerry cans.

4 weeks later
#952 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:I mean, the push is for the cars to literally drive themselves.

Self driving and EV are two different subjects.

My new pinhauler has lane keeping assist, and I never use it. *unless I need to fiddle with my phone to find an address or digging in the bag for the last french fry, then I'm embarrassed to say how many times it has nudged me back in to my lane while I was distracted. Once my eyes are back 100% on the road, I click it off.

The adaptive cruise control is a different story. When your on an interstate road trip with heavy traffic, it's a blessing. I'm not aware of a way to turn that feature off and would never want to.

#973 1 year ago

The cheap EVs are coming! Get your $4000 (10k/18k depending) Wuling mini EV for around town, downtown or the campus, etc.

https://playersclub.shop/products/wuling-mini-ev

Available in the US now.

I see one trick to them getting the price down is leaving out the regenerative breaking. Like an eBike, there is no big need.

#980 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The frunk (ugh hate that word) alone is such a huge value add. It's bigger than the trunk on my coupe.

I had to find out what a frunk is!

frunk (resized).jpgfrunk (resized).jpg

#981 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

These electric vehicles have been availed for decades in the US - they are called golf carts.

Anyone who buys one of these and chooses to drive them on roads and highways with real vehicles just has a death wish IMO.

A budget EV beats a moped which most students are driving in heavy traffic and its a lot dryer/warmer. I know too many folks who have cracked their coconut on those.

#994 1 year ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Imagine a backdoor or virus that made go=stop and stop=go ... :3

Virtually everything we rely on could be hacked and shutdown or crashed or owned or taken ransom or used to spy on us:
Communications
Internet
Shipping
Banking
Pinside
GPS navigation
Food supply
Fuel supply
Emergency Services
Stern Insider Connected
Military
Utilities
Hospitals
Government agencies
etc.

IT is major expense for everyone to keep the above secure and updated as well as fixing bugs and cars are no different. Expect hiccups but don't loose sleep over it.

#1002 1 year ago

I doubt the good ol' boys that are spending 100k on a loaded Raptor or Ram Limited here in Georgia to look cool and have the tallest pickup with the most chrome at the Nascar tailgate party are in to the EV life. (that's why pickup and EV look funny in the same sentence to me)

Traveling in north Florida, I frequently see these guys trailering their trucks around on the weekend. Who knew "mud park" was a thing??

#1020 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

it would be relatively simple to make FSD work as all these cars could talk to each other and the infrastructure and collisions would be easily avoided. That’s just not a reality as legacy cars will always be on the roads and need to be accommodated.

So outlaw legacy cars or make a mandatory FSD kit that retrofits them all. Is it that simple?

Still need to deal with random obstacles, pedestrians, software/hardware failures and bugs, map and gps errors, vehicle quirks and breakdowns, road repairs and changes, weather and visibility conditions, anti-social troublemakers, bad cell signal and drops, etc.

#1030 1 year ago

https://graphics.reuters.com/AUTOS-ELECTRIC/USA/mopanyqxwva/

By 2035, about 45% of new car sales could be electric according to industry analysis IHS Markit. At this rate, about half of the cars on the road would be electric by 2050.

#1085 1 year ago

Lots of members posting they like Tesla, but not Musk in the last 24hrs? Was there something in the news???

Ohh wait...

Report: Elon Musk offered to buy flight attendant horse in exchange for erotic massage, exposed himself

5/20 Elon Musk reportedly paid $250,000 to settle a sexual misconduct case and Twitter has thoughts

Horse Memes trending!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/elon-musk-horse-memes-trend-as-social-media-savages-twitters-future-owner/vi-AAXveg3

FTKN-8RWYAUFqf9 (resized).jpgFTKN-8RWYAUFqf9 (resized).jpg

#1100 1 year ago
Quoted from GregCon:

It's the side of my nature that prefers a good computer-generated riff to anything that Jimi Hendrix ever created.

FS1SA0LaQAATTci (resized).jpgFS1SA0LaQAATTci (resized).jpg

#1141 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I kicked through the window because everything stops. The power didn't work. The door didn't open. The windows didn't go down."

UGH, can't open the door??? Carry a window breaker thingy if you have an EV with a solenoid to open the door.

#1166 1 year ago
Quoted from PatWoodrailLVR:

A hostile force could possibly cripple our nation with such an attack if we are heavily dependent on EVs.

That could happen to our fuel grid also and did happen a year ago in the south east when hackers attacked the company running the Colonial Pipeline with ransomware. Many gas stations between Houston and New Jersey had no gas.

Quoted from Dawson:

would love to here the reasons the hate for Elon runs so thick. because he's a nerd ? smart? has a business in china ? was it the pedo commit , that he's voting republican ?

We are hard wired to gossip. Simply put - "If somebody is a competitor or somebody is higher than you in the food chain, you want dirt about them." "You want negative information, because that's the stuff you can exploit to get ahead."

#1266 1 year ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

my "refueling" time is around 6 seconds

I am going to start telling everyone my phone charge time 2 seconds. What other overnight appliances should I report only take seconds? dish washer, clothes dryer..

If I don't post again, assume they had me infirmed.

#1319 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The CEO stated that current Model 3 battery modules should last 300,000 to 500,000 miles

I drive about 10k/yr. I might keep my car more than 30yrs if it was an EV. Classic sports car styling tends to age well but not much else does and for sure it might be looking rough after 30yrs of use if it's still safe.

f31fafa5add8d399662e0bb3b7ed21db--s-car-rusty-cars (resized).jpgf31fafa5add8d399662e0bb3b7ed21db--s-car-rusty-cars (resized).jpg

050819-1975-AMC-Pacer-2-630x390 (resized).jpg050819-1975-AMC-Pacer-2-630x390 (resized).jpg

#1472 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

And why do they call it plaid?

3 weeks later
#2002 1 year ago

... tablets, key fobs, remotes, motherboards, wireless doorbell, hoverboards, digital scale, watches, sex toys, and pinball machines.

1 week later
#2218 1 year ago

nm

1 month later
#2705 1 year ago

Regarding the use of 'turbo' in non turbo products, 386 and 486 computers from the '90s had turbo buttons to increase the clock frequency, and even mixers have turbo buttons which I don't recommend using if you're doing the cleanup. The marketing folks have to come up with something that conveys 'fast and more faster'.

#2771 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

I noticed you haven’t come up with a witty name for the Kona yet. What’s the matter, can’t think of anything?

Fun fact - in Portuguese Kona/Cona means vagina.

#2849 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Never understood why they were called
“Funny cars”.

Funny cars and wheelstanders are two different things.

1 week later
#3082 1 year ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

Bonus question. No fair googling this. Give it your best guess. What percentage of total CO2 emissions is due to human activity? And for extra credit, how does that number compare to the variation in emission from natural sources?

Are you aware CO2 and CO (carbon monoxide) are not the same? ICE tailpipe puts out contaminants CO and hydrocarbons that are minimized by going electric hence the bothersome changes ahead and this discussion. CO2 puts the fizz in beer and soda.

3 weeks later
#3435 1 year ago

My favorite station wagon -

1 week later
#3566 1 year ago

Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg

#3610 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I actually thought EVs did have alternators for topping off the 12V battery

Nah, just like my hybrid, you don't want the 12v battery to run down when camping so you can turn the key on and the HV battery will charge the 12v battery when it is low. (and in the case of the hybrid, once the HV battery gets low, the engine starts for a bit to keep that above minimum)

One neat thing about the hybrid - I sometimes use the remote start to defrost in the morning, which seems wasteful but the engine charges the HV battery while warming and defrosting so not totally wasteful.

#3688 1 year ago

The hotel front desk may know the room number that license plate belongs to and request they move to avoid being being towed. I would start there.

#3752 1 year ago

LOL, that's what happens when the city gets involved. Businesses need to submit a parking plan that is appropriate for the amount of customers, so perhaps there was not enough spots for ICE vehicles in their small lot, so the EV spots needed to be designated EV or ICE.

1 week later
#3841 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

keep the battery warm

and the passengers

2 weeks later
#4085 1 year ago
Quoted from LastCall420:

growing population will add to higher standards of living will add the consumption of electricity

Seems like every day I use less electricity than the last. New fridge with peltier cooling, new HVAC with heat pump and smart thermostat, new LED bulbs, and new efficient windows.

When my water heater, dish washer, and washer/dryer quit they will be replaced with something more efficient as well.

#4102 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

From what I've seen, many/most EV chargers are out in the open.

We expect covered gas pumps to keep us dry/shaded and a windshield squeegee or we go down the road to a more civilized gas station. I guess EV drivers learn to rough it.

On long drives, I could use the occasional 20min nap when drowsy. OK that's the formula! EV should take 20min to charge since that is the perfect length for a power nap!

I guess power nap has a whole new meaning now.

#4135 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

Overnight is 8+ hours. That's much longer than the 2 minutes it takes to fill a cars tank. Again typical EV creative math.

Same as my cell phone. Takes 2.5hrs to charge as advertised but I'm not captured during that time. Just plug and in and go to bed.

Maybe we need new wording to communicate clearer. 'Hours to charge while your away' time? 'Downtime charging'?

#4220 1 year ago

EV startup plans to produce flying car with 35min flight time by 2024.

Talk about range anxiety!

https://www.businessinsider.com/chinese-ev-maker-xpeng-flying-car-mass-production-plans-2021-10

2 weeks later
#4502 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

But in 10 years the highway trucks won't even have drivers,

'Auto drive' isn't auto drive and it won't be in 10yrs either with roads made for humans that are filled with humans. Make dedicated electrified tracks for the trucks to run on and an operator can control the thing remotely like a ride at Disney.

#4546 1 year ago

Also useful to gas up equipment at a work or construction site.

1 week later
#4766 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I drove an '05 RAV 4 2.2L with the manual 5 speed for like a decade. Thing was a hoot to blast around the city in at (mostly) legal speeds. Was also bullet-proof mechanically, so yeah, "boring".

Yup, I looked at the 2021 Rav4 and Honda CRV. I best described the Honda interior/exterior as "joyless" compared to the Rav4 hybrid I picked.

2 weeks later
#5025 1 year ago

Something about d-bag cult frunk-ship?? I must be hung over!

Now I see it - no tesla badge on the car!

1 week later
#5150 1 year ago

No jokes in that article about Tesla submarine revealed, or Tesla shares continues to sink?

No Lotus or Spy Who Loved Me references??

-007-Lotus-Esprit--Submarine-Car--_20 (resized).jpg-007-Lotus-Esprit--Submarine-Car--_20 (resized).jpg

#5160 1 year ago

He lives somewhere, works somewhere, and drinks somewhere. I imagine he is a jerk known to many who watch the news and will gladly drop a dime. The problem is that he only faces a fine for damaging property or something.

2 weeks later
#5327 1 year ago

I suspect if Taco Bellyache was serving crickets and mealworms for protein, then it wouldn't give me the usual DEFCON 1 Rumbly Tumbly.

Also..

1 week later
#5419 1 year ago
Quoted from EJS:

Anything less than a 3rd of a tank and the fuel pump works more.

Sounds like some BS that a dad would preach. I imagine this old adage applies to EVs also... except we're the dads:

Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg

#5428 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Do Tesla's have a reverse gear?

Assume the charger to the right is dead and there was a car in the parking spot on the left when he arrived, then this would make sense.

1 week later
#5475 1 year ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

Why does this whole “free charging” thing seem like a drug dealer giving you your first fix free?

I always assumed it would be tricky renting an apartment and charging but my buddies apartment complex has free charging. I didn't know that was a thing.

... ok guess I just have to look at it as folded into the rent, but at least it's available.

1 month later
#5713 1 year ago

I keep mentioning that efficency would be improved if the roads were electrified, but it's hard to imagine how far off that is.

ohh wait..

#5731 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

"Did the one in Arizona kill the lady on her bike?"

To clarify - the woman was pushing the bike, and they showed the 'in car video' on the news. The video showed the woman emerging from the shadows in an unlit area of the road between street lights and walking directly in to the path of the car. They gave no explanation why the homeless woman did not see the oncoming cars headlights in the middle of nowhere. It did not seem like an accident that a human driver would likely avoid.

#5738 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

Exactly, which is why self driving cars are a bad idea.

What's bad about reducing auto accidents and injuries?

2 weeks later
#5964 1 year ago

I had no idea the google driverless cars are now called Waymo and have been working with Uber, doing driverless deliveries and now taxi service. This is not using the janky Tesla FSD, but super expensive LiDAR (laser thing spinning on the roof).

They had been operating with a driver babysitting the car but now also have driverless taxi in San Francisco and Phoenix. Sometimes there is a babysitter driver and sometimes there isn't. They operate between fixed places such as airports, hotels, restaurants, stores, attractions, schools, garages etc.

Anyone brave enough to catch an automated ride while locked in the back seat?? (Thats how it works.) You can press the help or drop me off here button if needed.

This is a 360degree youtube video you can drag to see in any direction -

#6000 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Hooray! Shorter lines at the gas station.

Gas stations may go the way of the typewriter and the payphone.

#6048 1 year ago

Yikes the '78 Subaru BRAT again!?!

junker (resized).jpgjunker (resized).jpg

1 month later
#6719 10 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Gotta love the arms race of speed…

Police usually have high performance patrol cars for high-speed chases. I wonder if they have plans to keep up with the 0-60 in 2sec with top speed of 200mph S Plaid.

They say 'you can't outrun the radio' but at that speed??

Reminds me of Richard Rawlings cannonball run story during the pandemic. They were so fast in the Audi A8 (with an extra gas tank in the trunk and disguised as a Ford Taurus unmarked car) that they would be at the next exit and leaving the state when the roadblock was being setup behind them.

EDIT - actual info:
In April 2020, an anonymous crew traveled from the Red Ball Garage on the east side of Manhattan to the Portofino Hotel in Redondo Beach, California—a total of 2,825.3 miles (4,546.9 km)—in 26 hours 38 minutes. The team averaged 106 miles per hour (171 km/h). The record was completed in a 2019 Audi A8L with additional fuel tanks in the rear storage.

In May 2020, Arne Toman, Doug Tabbutt, and spotter Dunadel Daryoush set the new cannonball record of 25 hours and 39 minutes in a modified 2016 Audi S6 disguised to look like a Ford Taurus police interceptor. Police-evasion modifications included brake light kill-switches, radar detectors, laser diffusers, CB-radio, and a roof-mounted thermal camera. Performance modifications included a trunk-mounted 67-gallon auxiliary fuel cell sourced from the car used in Toman and Tabbutt's 2019 cannonball run, modified turbochargers, an upgraded heat-exchanger, and custom ECU tuning that allowed for engine-mapping to be changed on-demand to suit either 91 or 93-octane fuel; allowing the car to generate an estimated 600 horsepower. The run achieved an overall average speed of 110 miles per hour (177 km/h) for the entire run, with average speeds upwards of 125 miles per hour (201 km/h) across some states, and which at no time exceeded 175 miles per hour (282 km/h).

#6722 10 months ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Considering the 2024 Chevy Blazer. Any recommendations/thoughts?

That looks pretty slick! You can slide a pin in if the back door opening is 32 inches tall. (31 and 7/8ths works)

#6737 10 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Get an Equinox EV. Much cheaper...

I liked my 2011 Equinox, but the last gen appeared to have a smaller back door. (I look for 31 and 7/8 inches tall back door to fit a pin.)

I bet they are moving toward more compact size to make the EV more efficient.

#6743 10 months ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I’m gonna get the proverbial hammer for this but, why not consider hybrids ?

One answer is that a hybrid is still saddled with all the pitfalls of an ICE vehicle. You still have the engine and transmission maintenance and repairs, such as oil and filter changes, timing belt, air filter, fuel filter, plugs and wires, etc.

#6749 10 months ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

They're also saddled with the problems of EV's as well, so there's that.

Exactly incorrect. With a hybrid there is no range anxiety, search for a working charger, planning charge stops on a road trip, long charge times, warming up the battery, or worry the battery will be empty in an emergency, etc.

Quoted from tripplett:

The problem with hybrids is that their battery range is always crap.

You keep saying "hybrid" while referring to Plug-in hybrid or PHEV which is not the same. Also, WHO CARES if your battery range is lacking on some drives? You travel the first 40miles on cheaper/cleaner electric and the ICE engine gets you rest of the way when necessary.

#6758 10 months ago
Quoted from MrBally:

With a plug in hybrid used primarily close to home, you really don't have much of the maintenance issues withe the gasoline engine as it is rarely used. With synthetic oil, changes are pushed way out. Same for filters.
We've had one for eight months. Filled it with gas three times (took a drive to Vacationland, USA: Barstow, California). All other drives are local here in Vegas.

That's cool, but don't forget that an engine that is not run frequently still requires oil changes every 12 months. Oil absorbs harmful moisture and separates and thickens over time.

#6764 10 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Hybrid is the worst case.

I was speaking about PHEV there. Are with replaying with comments about hybrid?

1 week later
#6962 10 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

That was a huge leap into dystopia!

Everyone enjoys a bit of science fiction! I remember the 70s gas rationing lines with plate numbers that end in an even number could buy gas on even days, and plates ending in odd numbers or letters were odd days. Not far off on that part.

#7002 10 months ago

That was posted and discussed in this thread 6 months ago like the rest of the FUD topics.

#7021 10 months ago

Pinball Olympics 2022

Pinside_forum_7206432_4 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7206432_4 (resized).jpg

#7034 10 months ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

People make some shit up, based mostly on emotion or their worldview.

... or just troll post for amusement and to boost their reputation, etc. (ala Kaneda)

#7129 10 months ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

preferred accurate source of news

#7246 9 months ago

Pinside_forum_7651773_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7651773_0 (resized).jpg

The sun is shining straight through it. Theranos is in the EV business now?

I'm imagining a lawn chair mounted on a drone is what they are testing.

#7251 9 months ago

Not all animal control officers catch dogs! Chitty Chitty Bang Bang from JJP and Steve Ritchie??

childcatcher (resized).jpgchildcatcher (resized).jpg

#7372 9 months ago
Quoted from Strummy:

My friend has a body shop and will need to build a special fireproof containment garage for EVs if he wants to continue towing.

I imagine a crashed ICE vehicle with a 12v system and tank of gas poses similar fire risks when in the body shop, but EV are new so we get updated safety rules.

#7510 9 months ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

You forgot load rating and number of plys

The date of manufacture is also stamped on a tyre in smaller print. Good idea to note when buying used hydes off FB marketplace. If they are old enough to vote, you should pass.

#7602 9 months ago

I wonder if life insurance pays in the case of 0-60 in 3.0s mishaps? Although common, I guess death is not certain. Unlike motorcycles, there have been many advancements in prosthetic limbs, and the treatment of traumatic brain injury, and spinal damage.

#7926 9 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Grid going down via an EMP or some other way is indeed a nightmare scenario for EVs (and everything else). Fact is, unless you have a car older than the 80s, if “they take out the grid” we’re all in a load of trouble.

Sure an EMP would smoke everything... cars, computers, gas stations, power generation, and communications. Anything fancier than an old bicycle and an EM pinball is bricked.

Grid problems are another story - Living in the Southeast I witness hurricanes taking out the grid over and over. Endless convoys of linemen in bucket trucks roll in from dozens of neighboring states as the storm is ending and the ridiculous amounts of destruction is fixed in days. Same thing when massive ice storms devastate the Northeast. Neighboring power companies start prepping and stocking the convoys when they see the storm forecasted. Hard to imagine any gird problem they couldn't resolve quickly.

2 weeks later
#8616 8 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

In Texas, for 2020 the mean travel time to work was 26.6 minutes one way (I assure you not just 2-3 miles)

Does this include public transportation or walking that last few blocks from where you park, etc? LOTS of folks drive 2-3miles to the train/bus station to travel to the stop near work.

#8662 8 months ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Is one of them a Bucees? Worth driving an ice just to gas up there.

Bucees is a giant tourist trap on top of a traffic jam. One upside - they have EV chargers and wondering through the endless rows of candy, t-shirts, drinks, and snacks will help the charge time pass quickly.

Dreamers have posted about gassing up in 2min, while at bucees it takes that long to cruise half way around the building with its 200 pumps. Plan 5min for walking to the restrooms and back.

#8706 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Cadillac’s new EV Escalade IQ is large and in Charge.

I see what you did there.

Quoted from MrBally:

Wait until you arrive home, with an EV on empty, plug it in and a medical emergency happens requiring a long drive. Yeah, F that.

If you were on a road trip big enough to use the full capacity of the battery on any leg of the trip, it would direct you to stop for a partial change with 20% remaining and take a short break so you never normally get close to zero charge. It seems a bit annoying to have to stop on the way home, but on a road trip you should be taking fatigue breaks every couple hours for safety.

Rested and alert drivers are safer so perhaps EVs will make the roads safer? I don't want get t-boned by a soccer mom driving a 2ton Escalade IQ with the shinny 24" rims.

#8715 8 months ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

And leaving out Carplay and Android Auto is a dick move. But I have read that this is the trend they all want to make.

Yup, that way they can sell you a data plan and collect and $ell the user data that your phone would normally be collecting and selling to every market research company on the planet. - very lucrative territory!

Unfortunately like any connected electronics, at some point the updates and support will end before its time. When you get tired of seeing 'your vehicle is too old to install the latest OS and apps' message and you can no longer run a supported version Spotify / Waze / podcast or whatever, you will end up taping a tablet over your dashboard screen.

#8760 8 months ago

#8781 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They make a portable EDC

When I visualize bricking a car, I imagine using an actual brick.

1 week later
#8868 7 months ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I’m not seeing any gas stations putting in chargers of any kind.

All the new Mega tourist trap stations have them - Buc-ee's/Wally's. Like everything else in life, the old dog has to keep up or will get squeezed out. Maybe the legacy owners are the same ones building the new improved station across the street with the sundae bar, growler refill station, and high-power plugins.

#8885 7 months ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:I think we'll see some chargers being added

"Last year, a BP executive suggested that on a margin basis (money in vs. money out) EV charging is near the levels of gasoline filling."

I can imagine gas station owners would be happy to never have to pay for another fuel tanker delivery again.

3 weeks later
#8955 7 months ago

News from the CLEPIN Show last week was that no EV owners had their catalytic converters stolen. Several ICE owners were not so lucky.

2 weeks later
#9012 6 months ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

They didn't search me, but they were searching everyone else that they had pulled over.

The other drivers may have had warrants or invalid license or bogus plates or reeked of weed/alcohol, ect. and deserved a closer look.

#9019 6 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

ICE vehicles can do anything EVs can do, but not vice versa.

ICE can't fuel up at home
ICE can't regenerate gas when braking
ICE can't be used safely indoors
ICE can't operate without routine oil changes
ICE can't get you there as cheaply
ICE can't go as fast
ICE can't do the same traction control tricks
.. there's probably more but we can agree the statement is not totally accurate.

2 weeks later
#9065 5 months ago

Reminds me of the getaway car that crashed into the cement truck. Police captured four hardened criminals.

1 week later
#9096 5 months ago
Quoted from tripplett:

But now another year later he's frustrated with the driving experience.

Probably should skip plugging in at work once or twice a week to make sure the engine is routinely warmed up and the gas does not get old. At least that would reduce steps needed while getting to the desk in the morning which should make anyone less frustrated.

At the end of the day, if he never plugged in, he has a hybird with 35% better fuel economy.

3 weeks later
#9124 4 months ago

Enjoy competitive pinball? Here is a story of an EV saving the day:

https://clips.twitch.tv/HonestBumblingPeachRalpherZ-Gd4bx8g2ez3izyqH

1 week later
#9145 4 months ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

I have no idea how accurate it is

They detailed a lot of numbers but (intentionally?) left out a glaring one. The battery gets recycled.

2 weeks later
#9212 3 months ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Not sure I'd want an ev with this and potential flooding causing unstoppable fires.

Combustion engines can stall when navigating out of a forest fire. An EV may save your life.

#9235 3 months ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

every home is a charging station

Some only have street parking. Apartments with chargers are the exception. Lots of challenges to deal with.

1 week later
#9267 3 months ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:Real question is, will more folks get robbed when they are stuck at a charging station for 30 min or so

Never again if they are charging at home.

2 weeks later
#9415 3 months ago
Quoted from Crash:

Looks like it can't make up its mind on looking like a Mustang or a Deloreon.

Looks like an 80s Celica Supra to me.

1983-Supra-101 (resized).jpg1983-Supra-101 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#9738 51 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Ford EV Supervan 4.2 set a new lap record

van in name only

van (resized).jpgvan (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#9850 30 days ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

The supply of electricity from outside sources (Power Plants) is precarious.

The fuel supply is also precarious. In the Colonial Pipeline ransomware attack of 2021, 17 southeastern states and D.C. had a large share of gas stations run out of fuel, thanks to Russian hackers looking for a payday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_Pipeline_ransomware_attack

1 week later
#9934 20 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

this UK study found that pollution emitted from tires...

Guess we should get to work on nontoxic tire and brake compounds? There goes another million dollar idea I've wasted. (Imagine doing a burnout and it smells like roasted corn.)

Speaking of solar, it's surprising to see miles and miles of solar along I-10 in north Florida. It seems like they are adding another big farm each time I travel that way. Keep surprising me Florida! (Probably just power companies saving a buck, but they sure are busy at it.)

2 weeks later
#10036 4 days ago
Quoted from galore2112:

(I haven't seen one yet and I live in a huge metro (Dallas))

Get out more. Saw 2 this week on car haulers being delivered, but I put on 930 miles between FL and GA.

#10050 3 days ago

Maybe EV sales aren't growing as fast as expected because EV owners don't replace their new car the national average of every 8.4yrs?

My buddy always says "Figures lie and liars figure".

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Neal_W.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread?tu=Neal_W and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.