• *I actually like EVs* 269 votes
    55%

(489 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 7.44.38?AM (resized).png
IMG_5069 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 8.10.29?AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-17-22 Ford targets Tesla owners with $1 500 EV 'conquest' rebates (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-19-38 Family Own A Tesla Get $1 500 Off A Ford Mustang Mach-E Carscoops (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 11-54-36 Best Solar Generator for Home Backup Power EcoFlow US (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 09-48-53 EcoFlow DELTA Pro 2 × 220W Solar Panel DELTA Pro Extra Battery D - (Members-only) DELTA Pro 2
248edf2c-1a41-4790-a83f-64f0bd20ad95 (resized).png
f285d5d3-ceec-4b7f-a741-0770ba2431ef (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240409_134107.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
200w.gif
2023.10-volvo-ex30-barcelona-global-first-drive-event-KYLE-22-scaled-1-800x445 (resized).jpg
There are 10,025 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 201.
#1 2 years ago

This thread is for those who want to rant about how much they hate EVs and tell me how dumb EVs are and how dumb and gullible I am for liking Tesla and how Elon actually hates the planet and how batteries are worse that gas, etc.

And yes, I love my Tesla and I think they’re better than gas cars and I will read these posts and respond so you can have the feeling of a real live punching bag.

Now you don’t need to clog up every other ev thread with your ranting! Bring on bob_e !!

#2 2 years ago

I like em except price. No way I'd pay 105k for a Silverado

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

That's funny..I looked into that too...like the sound of 4.5 sec to 60 & a 39.9k msrp starting ..well for what package I would want....well, lets just say..Not

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Prices are definitely too high now. As the manufacturers come to grips with the lessened part count and battery prices come down, I think the prices will even out.

But EVs SUCK! They’re all bad! They
Kill the environment which, as we all know, means they bunnies! They’re probably the cause of Covid!

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

But EVs SUCK! They’re all bad! They
Kill the environment which, as we all know, means they bunnies! They’re probably the cause of Covid!

Um ok

#6 2 years ago

EV's are fine. However they still are bad for the environment with all the smug that EV owners spread around.

#7 2 years ago

Haha, I think he's a cynical rural dude,,,,like me

#8 2 years ago

If you wanted a handie, there is a thread for that.

I like the idea of EV’s. But until we address the issues of the grid and consistent power production, it’s all a game of self flagellation.

#9 2 years ago

EV/propane/pigPoop whatever is fine for a vehicle that moves stuff around a warehouse/dock/port/field all day where the fuel is.

I'm satisfied with my 40mpg hybrid SUV pinhauler for practical use.

#10 2 years ago

Well let’s talk about batteries for a moment. These batteries still contain toxic materials just less of them compared to other batteries so they consider them non hazardous waste….sounds like it’s hazardous waste to me. And they last about five years. So think of how much waste is being generated. The high demand for lithium is causing havoc on the environment with the mining to get the lithium. It also takes about 500,000 gallons of water to extract 1 metric ton of lithium. Electric cars are no better for the environment…..it’s a fallacy to believe they are. No one can produce any factual documentation to prove the reduce emissions as electricity has to come from somewhere and the bulk of that electricity is from burning fossil fuels. Add that increased electricity is going to be needed to charge all these electric cars and more fossil fuels have to be burned. It’s no different than burning gas. You still have to produce he same energy. Whether it’s burning gas in your car or the power plants the emissions are still produced.

Where are the landfills for these dead batteries going to be? Think of the water table that is going to be poisoned slowly over the next few decades and the unforeseen impact it will have…this is all a BAD idea. Good thing is it will be after my lifetime that we fully see the effects of it. Bad thing is it’s going to affect people after I am long gone.

#11 2 years ago

Car guy here,25 +yrs. drag racing past,Am partial to raw V8 horsepower - agree on the above Pickle bullet points.This country can be self producing on gas,oil,natural gas etc. etc. I can see a slower progression towards EV and Solar..........I am now 60 and see almost all the guys and gals at work "Buying In" to the current narrative of Solar and Electric....BS....Pfffffft.
Use your brain.........crunch numbers.........cost of importing all these resources that we can support in our own country with everything costing more these days.We can do it ourselves and create jobs,taxes and keep our people gainfully employed and creating high quality jobs instead of paying $16 bucks an hour for fast food and retail workers.
End of my emerging old guy rant
Glad to have pinball as a release !! Keep on Flippin !!

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from v8torino:

Car guy here,25 +yrs. drag racing past,Am partial to raw V8 horsepower - agree on the above Pickle bullet points.This country can be self producing on gas,oil,natural gas etc. etc. I can see a slower progression towards EV and Solar..........I am now 60 and see almost all the guys and gals at work "Buying In" to the current narrative of Solar and Electric....BS....Pfffffft.
Use your brain.........crunch numbers.........cost of importing all these resources that we can support in our own country with everything costing more these days.We can do it ourselves and create jobs,taxes and keep our people gainfully employed and creating high quality jobs instead of paying $16 bucks an hour for fast food and retail workers.
End of my emerging old guy rant
Glad to have pinball as a release !! Keep on Flippin !!

Not an old guy rant, just common sense. 62 here, and I see the same issues. I do have solar on my house, which I love, no batteries, but will pass on elec cars for now, while still enjoying the sound of a good v-8. Magna flow on a hemi pickup just sounds so good

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Not an old guy rant.... but will pass on elec cars for now, while still enjoying the sound of a good v-8. Magna flow on a hemi pickup just sounds so good

But a Tesla hearse won't wake the dead!

dead (resized).jpgdead (resized).jpg
#14 2 years ago

In 2020 61% of electric power to fuel those EV's was from fossil fuels. That will drop over the years. But till that number drops significantly, that EV isn't saving the planet. Good start, but not a dent yet.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

But a Tesla hearse won't wake the dead! [quoted image]

To be fair, my son has a tesla and it's very nice. He commutes 80 miles a day and is saving a ton of money, gas is 3.80 here. And, if I get on it, my truck WILL wake the dead

#16 2 years ago

https://www.nbc15.com/2022/02/15/tesla-vehicles-recalled-over-fart-noise/

(CNN) - Tesla is facing another recall, one that owner Elon Musk is blaming on the “fun police.”

More than 500,000 vehicles need to have adjustments made to the Boombox feature.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is apparently not amused that it allows drivers to play sounds like a bleating goat or a fart noise on an external speaker.

#17 2 years ago

did anyone notice this topic/thread was created by the MUSKETEERS ????

Special for this week only, join the tesla fanboy club, THE MUSKETEERS and get a set of side pipes for tesla
tesla RT (resized).jpgtesla RT (resized).jpg

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

did anyone notice this topic/thread was created by the MUSKETEERS ????[quoted image]

Hahaha. You just noticed this Bob?! I said as much when I invited you in here…

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Hahaha. You just noticed this Bob?! I said as much when I invited you in here…

Well you did not send me an invitation, there should be an app in the fanboy club...

Do we get a secrete decoder ring for joining?

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Well you did not send me an invitation, there should be an app in the fanboy club...
Do we get a secrete decoder ring for joining?

Yes. Anyone who hates EVs gets a ring. Good idea.

#21 2 years ago

I actually don’t hate EV’a as advances in technology can be good sometimes. It’s the myth they are better for the environment.

#22 2 years ago

I have a few thoughts...Im reminded of my research that brought stories of the debate between horseless carriages,
and the horse. Sometimes they sound similar to today.

Sure EVs have their hidden side, and its ground pollution vs Air pollution, etc, to quantify.

I feel they are a needed step towards the future. Keeping up with Fusion advancement, printed graphite batteries, etc. Might change this for the better, but for now, Ill take gas.

What I would like to see, is an inexpensive car easier for homeowners to maintain. Fixing a 65 Mustang engine wasnt too hard.

#23 2 years ago

I hope I live long enough to see the hydrogen car groupies looking down on the EV groupies.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

No one can produce any factual documentation to prove the reduce emissions as electricity has to come from somewhere and the bulk of that electricity is from burning fossil fuels.

My dad has always used this saying. Overtime, I’ve found it to be true:

“There is no free lunch”

#25 2 years ago

even if evs aren’t that green now it’s a big step into alternative resources and more sustainable ways of doing things. Technology evolves more quickly if it’s a standard everyone is bought into. The idea is to help earth survive the next 100-5000 years

*humans, the earth ain’t going anywhere

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I hope I live long enough to see the hydrogen car groupies looking down on the EV groupies.

This!!! Hydrogen has so much potential. It’s just a matter of making it safe so we are not driving little bombs in an accident. And if we can sustain a fusion reaction that would greatly eliminate our need for fossil fuels for power generation.

Also solar is probably the biggest area we have yet to exploit. If we can figure out how to efficiently convert solar energy it truly is a viable option.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

This thread is for those who want to rant about how much they hate EVs and tell me how dumb EVs are and how dumb and gullible I am for liking Tesla and how Elon actually hates the planet and how batteries are worse that gas, etc.
And yes, I love my Tesla and I think they’re better than gas cars and I will read these posts and respond so you can have the feeling of a real live punching bag.
Now you don’t need to clog up every other ev thread with your ranting! Bring on bob_e !!

I think my dislike of EV's originates with EV owners. haha.

EV owners like to lecture everyone.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

This!!! Hydrogen has so much potential. It’s just a matter of making it safe so we are not driving little bombs in an accident. And if we can sustain a fusion reaction that would greatly eliminate our need for fossil fuels for power generation.
Also solar is probably the biggest area we have yet to exploit. If we can figure out how to efficiently convert solar energy it truly is a viable option.

Toyota and Hyundai already have a hydrogen car available in select areas

#29 2 years ago

They burn coal to make electricity which powers your car. In my opinion that’s not any better than burning gas. Furthermore, our electrical grid could only provide enough electricity to about 10% of the cars on the road

#30 2 years ago

I love everything about EV's - but don't yet own one and don't pretend I would be saving the environment.
If the US would start building some modern Nuclear plants we can increase our clean energy production.
I like wind and solar, but don't think it's going to get us where we need to be.

That said .... would love to have a Rivian in my garage

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

They burn coal to make electricity which powers your car. In my opinion that’s not any better than burning gas. Furthermore, our electrical grid could only provide enough electricity to about 10% of the cars on the road

You think coal is the sole source of electricity?

#32 2 years ago

WI has wind generators, and they have a productive live of 20-25 years then they have to be replaced. In Europe the life has not been as long as expected.... why maybe the cold weather?

https://gizmodo.com/viral-image-claiming-to-show-a-helicopter-de-icing-texa-1846279287

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

You think coal is the sole source of electricity?

No but its about 20% and mostly what powers the northeast. Ultimately our power grid can't handle it either.

#34 2 years ago

Prices and technology would have been amazing at this point if it weren't for big oil killing the original EV1 by GM in the 90s. Fucking shame.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Where are the landfills for these dead batteries going to be?

Same place as the windmill blades, another boondoggle.

Fragments-of-wind-turbine-blades-Photographer-Benjamin-Rasmussen-for-Bloomberg-Green-min (resized).jpgFragments-of-wind-turbine-blades-Photographer-Benjamin-Rasmussen-for-Bloomberg-Green-min (resized).jpg
#36 2 years ago

Solar sounds fun but my roof is covered w snow half the year.

#37 2 years ago

And I agree with the post above, the country needs to be covered with nuclear power plants. What happened at Chernobyl, Fukushima Daiichi and Three Mile Island will not happen again. Facts.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

If the US would start building some modern Nuclear plants we can increase our clean energy production.

DING DING!

The greenies won't allow it which is a sign most of the environmental virtual signaling is all B.S. They don't have much to say about bats & endangered birds being shredded by windmills, a crime that would put most of us in jail.

If the United States went to a standardized plant like France (78-80% of their electric) and tossed out the treaty signed by Carter against reprocessing fuel, our problems would be solved. Reprocessed fuel has a half life that is negligible and we could use up all the "spent fuel" sitting in storage.

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Solar sounds fun but my roof is covered w snow half the year.

And the panels start degrading on output the second they are installed, most are only rated for 20 years.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

DING DING!
The greenies won't allow it which is a sign most of the environmental virtual signaling is all B.S. They don't have much to say about bats & endangered birds being shredded by windmills, a crime that would put most of us in jail.
If the United States went to a standardized plant like France (78-80% of their electric) and tossed out the treaty signed by Carter against reprocessing fuel, our problems would be solved. Reprocessed fuel has a half life that is negligible and we could use up all the "spent fuel" sitting in storage.

This was never a green issue to me. It has always been the general population's fear of having nuclear power plants in their backyards and enormous payola to politicians from big oil to make sure it never happens.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

This was never a green issue to me. It has always been the general population's fear of having nuclear power plants in their backyards and enormous payola to politicians from big oil to make sure it never happens.

Been one in my backyard my whole life, not a single issue with it.

Three reactors there actually, though one was decommissioned not long ago.

599395dbe66b0.image (resized).jpg599395dbe66b0.image (resized).jpg
#42 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Been one in my backyard my whole life, not a single issue with it.
Three reactors there actually, though one was decommissioned not long ago. [quoted image]

Would you consider yourself an exception? Plus like you have said, it has been there your whole life. What about the power company going over to northern Bergen county in NJ and saying we would like to build a reactor off route 17. Never going to happen. Left, Right, Middle are all going to conjure up memories of the three accidents I mentioned above

#44 2 years ago

Love all the discussion and key points being made…

Green energy maybe provides 20% of energy when running at capacity. Most green energy sources are not sustained at all times meaning we rely on Mother Nature for wind, solar, and water to supply energy. Not all power grids have green energy resources. We are also limited geographically where/how we can produce green energy.

Modern nuclear plants still produce radioactive waste….big problem as who will volunteer to allow their land to be polluted with waste. Until we can perfect fusion I don’t see nuclear as a good option.

No need to discuss the issues of fossil fuels as we know their impact but currently have no better sustainable option.

However until we find better alternatives I am team Thanos. We can instantly reduce emissions by 50%….

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Same place as the windmill blades, another boondoggle. [quoted image]

Yes…green energy has its challenges as well. Wind farms sound good but have an impact as well.

As was already stated:

“No free lunch.”

#46 2 years ago

I've read the grid can't handle every household installing a charger for the EVs. The number is 4 stations per transformer. Infrastructure is needed.

#47 2 years ago

In the power pools in the USA they're curtailing wind to allow for older coal contracts to still produce power. all thermal units are highly subsidized, not just wind cr LTC and solar cr PTC. Power pools curtail a good percentage of wind to allow for old coal contracts to run. Heat rates/start up times of older coal plants are terrible and a new CC gas plant cost is over a billion dollars. have a google search of the costs to keep burners hot in coal plants and get for a rude awakening. I'm all for any solution that has a reliable base load. everyone should become a bit more educated on heat rates, start up time, ramp rate, and economical dispatch stacks in the power pools. lastly, coal sequestration and carbon capture are way more expensive options than renewables. any coal plant over 20 years old and producing less than 400MW is at risk of being early retirement/end date. there's gonna be sunk costs because of this however, if we want to have a reliable baseload into the future the time to start moving to a NG CC baseload with wind and solar resources to take off the peaks is coming soon.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Toyota and Hyundai already have a hydrogen car available in select areas

Yes they do but very limited. And the infrastructure to support EV or alternative fuel vehicles has to be built and is going to be very costly….and guess who gets to foot the bill.

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Modern nuclear plants still produce radioactive waste….big problem as who will volunteer to allow their land to be polluted with waste.

Not a big problem, see my post above.

Reprocess the fuel like France and the problem is negligible.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

Would you consider yourself an exception? Plus like you have said, it has been there your whole life. What about the power company going over to northern Bergen county in NJ and saying we would like to build a reactor off route 17. Never going to happen. Left, Right, Middle are all going to conjure up memories of the three accidents I mentioned above

I think most people around here are obvious to it even being there since 1970.

There are 10,025 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread?hl=blue_agave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.