IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2306 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2355 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2384 (resized).jpeg
Bloody Hell (resized).png
IMG_6441 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 12.40.13?PM (resized).png
truck  (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 20-43-13 Ohio just voted to legalize recreational marijuana. See a list of every state where cannabis i
IMG_20240304_193126.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 21-55-03 Shell to close 1 000 gas stations globally focus on EV charging (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 17-01-33 A coal billionaire is building the world’s biggest clean energy plant and it’s five times the
f-150-lightning-switchgear-40-65a81a0876c32 (resized).jpg

There are 9,881 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 198.
#351 2 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Yeah some offer regenerative braking meaning they use the wheel rotation to generate electricity. This in turn slows down the car so don't need to use the brakes anywhere near as much as a normal car. You have one pedal driving basically which once you get used to is amazing, it means no brake changes and it helps fill the battery. So for example on my Camaro it needed a $1400 brake change after just 1.5 years, my Dodge Magnum SRT8 was the same, needed $1200 brake changes. My Model 3 which also had performance Brembo brakes never needed any brake changes in the 3 years I had it. One pedal driving is another one of those things you simply will never want to drive without once you try it. It can be turned off but that's never recommended.

... Regenerative braking is also useful on downhills, so like on that long downhill stretch when driving to Vegas the car will be generating electricity the entire time while keeping speed. It's a double win, no brake use and you fill the battery, kinda cool to go 10+ miles and actually increase battery charge.

Sorry, but you're not getting something for nothing. You're only getting back some of the power that you probably used when you went up hill first.

#352 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Sorry, but you're not getting something for nothing. You're only getting back some of the power that you probably used when you went up hill first.

Of course, but with a gas car you're not filling up your tank on the downhill and most will still use brakes on downhills, you financially lose both ways.

#353 2 years ago

I'll go elsewhere.

Bet you won't.

#354 2 years ago
Quoted from the9gman:

your right it won't unless the vehicle is parked in the sun for hours and not shaded by trees. Unfortunately it takes a couple of hours to fully charge a battery that big. Panels on the roof would only make sense for the guy that drives to work ...parks his car in a fully sunlit parking lot all day and then drives home. An array of panels is much better in this situation ....better to have shaded parking made by using solar panels to plug into.

I'm wasn't talking about personal cars, I'm talking about EV delivery vehicles. This would only extend their charge, not charge the vehicle up completely. I don't think even an average cross-over or van would get much advantage from this. But look at the roof of a UPS truck. Lots of area, and they're outdoors all the time while in use. Solar panel arrays for charging parked cars already exist.

#355 2 years ago

Solar panel arrays for charging parked cars already exist.

thats why they exist

#356 2 years ago

Just not my thing yet. I'll wait untill they are more mainstream and they can go further than 350 miles on a charge. Plus I love American muscle

#357 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

The Musk-a-teers are convinced this is a dead idea. Even though the largest auto maker in the world just announced they plan on being totally carbon neutral by 2050.

One, I can't stand Elon Musk so cut that BS. Two, hydrogen cars are dead dead dead dead dead dead... I don't know how many times you have to be told that but probably more than I care to. The fuel is infinitely too volatile for daily use, period, full stop.

Jeff

#358 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

Yeah the visual cameras see everything, no need for the radar, cameras will never get dirty or blinded.

And your wind shield doesn't ever get dirty, you never have issues driving directly into the sun? I'm not going to defend Tesla's implementation of computer vision but your argument is just silly.

Jeff

#359 2 years ago

EV does not fit the car majority of lifestyles. Most people don't have plugs outside of their apartments to plug into. They function best in cities, where people have the worst home charging access. As for the camping issue. It's not unusual for someone to drive several hours to go camp. The site isn't in town so they might be an hour from the nearest town. If you're in a gasser you top off at the last station in under 2 minutes. Drive the last hour, drive back when you're done, maybe top off again at the town for even less time. Then go home. In an EV you likely don't have a super charger in that tiny town. So *if* there is a public charger (a big if) you're there a long time to top off. Even with a super you're there a half hour if you want to fill up. Not get to 80% but full up. Then drive an hour in the cold, then use 40% of you battery to heating the car overnight while playing video games "camping", then drive an hour back in the cold, which is bad on range. Hoping you don't run out. Sounds fun, not. Then since you me made it back to town an hour away you not need to get 80% or more to fill and you're on a slow charger. Hope you like eating a day of your trip charging.
If you can get full with an overnight charge, 90% your words not mine, you'll eventually run out.

Yep, as I suspected, you still refuse to grasp this most basic concept... It's HILARIOUS how you keep saying stupid shit like "majority of lifestyles"... LOL... Come on. I get it though, no amount of data is going to sway you. You'll just continue to come up with ever more bullshit use cases that don't actually exist except for maybe 5 people out of 330 million Americans... Then use those bullshit use cases to say stupid shit like "EV does not fit the car majority of lifestyles"...

Clearly you don't want to buy an EV. Got it man... We really do. It'd be nice if you had an actual logical and intellectually sound reason for it but I get that's asking far too much from you.

Jeff

#360 2 years ago

Of course, but with a gas car you're not filling up your tank on the downhill and most will still use brakes on downhills, you financially lose both ways.

I see. You make an unrelated Jab at Gas powered vehicles because I pointed out the error in you logic about regenerative braking. I bet you even believe that you get 100% of you're power back that way too. It's people like you that help turn off peoples interest in EVs.

Good day sir Wonka.gifGood day sir Wonka.gif

#361 2 years ago

I see. You make an unrelated Jab at Gas powered vehicles because I pointed out the error in you logic about regenerative braking. I bet you even believe that you get 100% of you're power back that way too. It's people like you that help turn off peoples interest in EVs.
[quoted image]

Wut?

#362 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

You keep quoting this as a justification for hydrogen. If a car company makes EVs and gets all their electricity from wind (hypothetically), is that not carbon neutral? I’m just confused about your “carbon neutral=hydrogen” claim. Do you have links about this?

Similarly, why does fusion (which I am so excited for an actual solution) mean hydrogen cars? It’s an unlimited source of energy. As battery tech (like solid state) improves, why would fusion=hydrogen? There’s electric chargers in literally every building in the US. Yet anti-ev people constantly say the infrastructure will be a hurdle. Hydrogen refilling has practically zero infrastructure. I actually don’t care much, I think traditional gasoline ICE engines are on the way out either way, but I’m puzzled about hydrogen. All the news I’ve read about it says it’s dead. Is it making a resurgence? Can you post some links?

Sheesh. Cheap electricity is needed for (economical) hydrolysis. Fusion brings dirt cheap electricity. Thus hydrogen can be stored locally. Hydrogen has something like 400 X the energy density of lithium. A 10 lb canister provides an 800 mile range in the typical sedan. Less in bigger trucks/vehicles.

#363 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

One, I can't stand Elon Musk so cut that BS. Two, hydrogen cars are dead dead dead dead dead dead... I don't know how many times you have to be told that but probably more than I care to. The fuel is infinitely too volatile for daily use, period, full stop.
Jeff

Ever heard the saying “You don’t know shit from shinola?” Well, you don’t. Hydrogen is safer than lithium. It is not economical today. It will be soon as fusion reactors are deployed.

#364 2 years ago

Just got a 22 Hyundai Ioniq 5 , our first EV , it's awesome and looks like a pinball might actually fit in it....will have to measure and report back

#365 2 years ago

when and where are you needing to legally do 0-60 in 3 seconds on the street?

EV does not fit the car majority of lifestyles. Most people don't have plugs outside of their apartments to plug into. They function best in cities, where people have the worst home charging access. As for the camping issue. It's not unusual for someone to drive several hours to go camp. The site isn't in town so they might be an hour from the nearest town. If you're in a gasser you top off at the last station in under 2 minutes. Drive the last hour, drive back when you're done, maybe top off again at the town for even less time. Then go home. In an EV you likely don't have a super charger in that tiny town. So *if* there is a public charger (a big if) you're there a long time to top off. Even with a super you're there a half hour if you want to fill up. Not get to 80% but full up. Then drive an hour in the cold, then use 40% of you battery to heating the car overnight while playing video games "camping", then drive an hour back in the cold, which is bad on range. Hoping you don't run out. Sounds fun, not. Then since you me made it back to town an hour away you not need to get 80% or more to fill and you're on a slow charger. Hope you like eating a day of your trip charging.
If you can get full with an overnight charge, 90% your words not mine, you'll eventually run out.

So, we go camping a fair bit and live in a big city.

First thing I'd say is that a rule of thumb is that if the site has an RV hookup, you can probably get there and back again from a supercharger (not including any charge from the electric hookup at the campsight, which can probably fill up 20-ish percent in a single night). If you're going further away, you take an ICE.

Next, the reason why people don't fill up all the way on a road trip, outside of it hurting the battery, is that it takes longer to charge a battery closer it is to full, and after a certain point, you're spending more time to fill up the battery than you get in millage. If you can get to the next supercharger in less than 80% battery capacity, it's wasted time to fill up your battery all the way, even if that 20% would get you to the *next* charger.

Prior to my current town home, we lived in a condo. We had a few Tesla owners who parked in the garage in the basement. The parking garage company made the people pay for the electric hookup (which is the same for a home owner), but I don't think they charged even for the electricity (which, in retrospect, was a really good deal...) More and more places in cities are adding EV plugs as a feature, as EVs get more common.

Finally, who plays video games while camping? Even if the weather is bad, we're playing cards under a tarp, not hanging out in our car (but we're not RVers, more car campers).

#366 2 years ago

I don’t want to come off as a naysayer or Dbag which is easy for me to do. My name has been on the cyber truck around number 300k so I was in early and want it to happen.

Here’s my Tesla story from yesterday’s road trip. Meet at Doc’s house jump in his model3 and he looks dressed for ice fishing. We were driving about 240 miles one way to Minocqua WI. So after I jump in I adjust my side of the temp control to 72 degrees. My buddy says we can’t make the next supercharger station if the heats on uses a lot of juice. It was like zero outside. I’m like are you kidding me. Drive about 50 miles stop at supercharger for 30 minutes.

Drive another 90 miles to another supercharger sit for 45 minutes charging, meet his brother go out load in our destination and determine even with the heat at 62 (off) we can make it up and back so we switch to the gas burning toyota.

The so called self driving option sucks, and he paid like 6k for it. He called a problem phantom braking that I called panic braking it is terrible car just slams on the brakes for no reason, just like I thought as well when we got onto some snow on the road car doesn’t know what to do and stops. Then Doc comes clean in cold weather car has a 100 mile range instead of 230-250 in the summer (with no AC to much juice).

I really can’t see me getting a EV for 10 years. I should have bought my new Ram I had on order the dealer talked me out of. TRX at MSRP on release

EV’s are not even close to ready for everyday people.

How long do you think it will take to overcome these issues?

#367 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

We will be all be dust before reliable self driving is realized.

#368 2 years ago

Saw this yesterday. We’re gonna be fine.

CFD4C90C-097B-4240-A4A0-EF4CD744608D (resized).jpegCFD4C90C-097B-4240-A4A0-EF4CD744608D (resized).jpeg
#369 2 years ago

Yeah some offer regenerative braking meaning they use the wheel rotation to generate electricity. This in turn slows down the car so don't need to use the brakes anywhere near as much as a normal car. You have one pedal driving basically which once you get used to is amazing, it means no brake changes and it helps fill the battery. So for example on my Camaro it needed a $1400 brake change after just 1.5 years, my Dodge Magnum SRT8 was the same, needed $1200 brake changes. My Model 3 which also had performance Brembo brakes never needed any brake changes in the 3 years I had it. One pedal driving is another one of those things you simply will never want to drive without once you try it. It can be turned off but that's never recommended.

WOW! 1200-1400 for brakes YIKES..

My Silverado did about 80K miles on the front disc I did the work new rotors and pads $115 ish, the second time there was plenty of metal to have the rotors turned befor the next brake job, $15 each + pads $25. I did the work in less that 1 hour. Bought new rotors first time so I did not have to wait on the machine shop to turn them. The rear brakes went 198K miles shoes were paper thin 1 had metal to metal contact, parts were about 200 for new drums, shoes and spring kit. about an hour spent. Parts came from RockAuto so it was about 40% less that local parts stores.

I live out in the country one stoplight on my way to and from work. And I would coast 70% to stop signs if there was no traffic behind me.

#370 2 years ago

Has anyone made their $50,000 deposit on the the 2022 Tesla Roadster? Estimated price 200K... delivery still unknown

2022tes road (resized).jpg2022tes road (resized).jpg
#371 2 years ago

PepsiCo announced it had placed a preorder for 100 Tesla Semis in late 2017, shortly after the truck's debut. At first, Tesla planned to start delivering trucks in 2020, but that deadline has slipped a few times. In July, Tesla said it had pushed the Semi's launch to 2022, citing limited availability of batteries and other supply chain challenges.

#372 2 years ago

I'll go a step further and say UPS (or even Amazon) should go the EV route (Where convenient. I don't necessarily see them being a good option out in rural areas) and add solar panels on the large roof of their vehicles. It probably won't charge them up completely, but it could extend their range.

UPS trucks have a translucent roof to let light in for the driver. According to an older commercial.

#373 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Seriously. Worst brakes guy ever!

#374 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I don’t want to come off as a naysayer or Dbag which is easy for me to do. My name has been on the cyber truck around number 300k so I was in early and want it to happen.
Here’s my Tesla story from yesterday’s road trip. Meet at Doc’s house jump in his model3 and he looks dressed for ice fishing. We were driving about 240 miles one way to Minocqua WI. So after I jump in I adjust my side of the temp control to 72 degrees. My buddy says we can’t make the next supercharger station if the heats on uses a lot of juice. It was like zero outside. I’m like are you kidding me. Drive about 50 miles stop at supercharger for 30 minutes.
Drive another 90 miles to another supercharger sit for 45 minutes charging, meet his brother go out load in our destination and determine even with the heat at 62 (off) we can make it up and back so we switch to the gas burning toyota.
The so called self driving option sucks, and he paid like 6k for it. He called a problem phantom braking that I called panic braking it is terrible car just slams on the brakes for no reason, just like I thought as well when we got onto some snow on the road car doesn’t know what to do and stops. Then Doc comes clean in cold weather car has a 100 mile range instead of 230-250 in the summer (with no AC to much juice).
I really can’t see me getting a EV for 10 years. I should have bought my new Ram I had on order the dealer talked me out of. TRX at MSRP on release

All of my ICE cars have plenty of heat and defrost... i loose 1/4 mpg using the A/C.
Self driving option is now $12,000.

I saw on Facebook a 2022 Tezla Y model for sale with 2000 miles buy for $72K ? Or wait till August 2022
I wonder why he is selling it?

#375 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Seriously. Worst brakes guy ever!

maybe he like to Auto-cross his cars and drive the stoplight grand prix to work and back

#376 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

maybe he like to Auto-cross his cars and drive the stoplight grand prix to work and back

Well I do too, which is why I learned to do my own brakes

#377 2 years ago

I stopped to fill my gaz tank in Reno, on my way to Idaho, and saw a bunch of EVs at the charging station, one Tesla X had the hatch open and a mattress with 2 people sleeping in it. That's where considering getting an EV went to a full stop

#378 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Performance brakes cost bucks unfortunately if you want the 6 caliper variety, large rotors, etc, but that's how those cars get their crazy short stopping distances, the swap both pads and rotors on brake changes. I want to stop as fast as possible so it is what it is.

#379 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

UPS trucks have a translucent roof to let light in for the driver. According to an older commercial.

Replace translucent roof with Solar panels and interior LED lighting. Solar panels would probably still provide more power than thelights would use in the short time the were on and provide light if needed on the rarer occasion when Sun may not be out.

#380 2 years ago

Performance brakes cost bucks unfortunately if you want the 6 caliper variety, large rotors, etc, but that's how those cars get their crazy short stopping distances, the swap both pads and rotors on brake changes. I want to stop as fast as possible so it is what it is.

But how can you wear out brakes that fast? You should look over your way of driving or you’re driving crazy amount of miles a year.
I get minimum 60k km on a set of brakes. Thus far I’m 40k km into the brakes on my Lexus, still got atleast 30k more in them before I need to change them. And they were on and already used when I bought the car so I have no idea how many km they’ve been driven before I bought them.

I just took a test drive in my colleagues Polestar 2.
Crazy fun.
Quiet and nice and lots of power up to around 140kph.
Torque for days when you stomp on the pedal.
And it’s just the basic rated 230hp or whatever version with FWD. not the 400+ AWD version.
I enjoyed it! Never ever said that about any FWD car before……

#381 2 years ago

This guy had some bad luck with his Tesla:

https://old.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/t2xie1/total_electrical_failure_in_a_garage_that_tow/

Usually doesn’t take 3 days to tow an ICE vehicle.

#382 2 years ago

Why is there only one tow point on tesla? In the front no less. Drive it into a snowbank or into the ditch and they tow company can only tow it forward? Crazy.

#383 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Yep, as I suspected, you still refuse to grasp this most basic concept... It's HILARIOUS how you keep saying stupid shit like "majority of lifestyles"... LOL... Come on. I get it though, no amount of data is going to sway you. You'll just continue to come up with ever more bullshit use cases that don't actually exist except for maybe 5 people out of 330 million Americans... Then use those bullshit use cases to say stupid shit like "EV does not fit the car majority of lifestyles"...
Clearly you don't want to buy an EV. Got it man... We really do. It'd be nice if you had an actual logical and intellectually sound reason for it but I get that's asking far too much from you.
Jeff

"majority of lifestyles" is literally quoted from you bringing it up. You can't even keep your own BS straight. and according to you only for 5 out of 300 million Americans an electric isn't perfect for them. but you're not saying "the vast majority". Who's the one full of BS, its not me. It's people like you who give the concept of everyone is valuable a bad name.

#384 2 years ago

Large vehicles with roofs with large surface area for panels and what about stops? Every time an ICE vehicle starts up is when it puts out more of it's pollution compared to when it's driving.
There already are EV delivery trucks. Coca Cola and Frito/Lays have been using them for years.
https://www.reddit.com/r/TechnologyPorn/comments/2y63b1/cocacolas_new_battery_powered_allelectric/
https://www.greenbiz.com/article/frito-lay-rolls-out-all-electric-delivery-trucks-nyc
I'm not a fan of EV cars for the most part, but EV delivery trucks for suburban and city use make sense. And adding solar panels to extend the range is a no brainer.

Start stop city driving worst for fuel economy. Thought that was basic knowledge. They put it right on the window sticker on new cars - city and hwy mileage. I'm sure ev delivery vehicles are doable. I just wonder about the costs and ability to work in all conditions. Doubt a truck loaded with batteries and solar panels comes cheap. All the added costs get transferred to the consumer.

#385 2 years ago

DELETED

Jeff

#386 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Has anyone made their $50,000 deposit on the the 2022 Tesla Roadster? Estimated price 200K... delivery still unknown[quoted image]

I hope to get one but I’m not loaning anyone 50k interest free for an unknown amount of time. When they start coming off the line I’ll order.

#387 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

LOL... I didn't know everyone lives in Wisconsin... Could have fooled me... "Everyday people" is quite the broad brush to paint with considering tens of millions of Americans live in states where the extreme cold isn't an issue. One other point I wanted to make up front, the use of A/C in the summer has essentially zero effect on range so not sure what your friend is talking about there...

Now for the rest of the story, yep, in cold like that range really takes a hit in an EV. There are ways to deal with it but those ways are not popular with everyone, such as turning off cabin heat and relying on seat heaters which are far more efficient. I try to tell people you're looking at a 40% reduction on average, from my experience, and I often get told I don't know what I'm talking about blah blah blah... Again, use cases. I could almost immediately in your story it wasn't going to have a happy Tesla ending.

Autopilot isn't horrible by any means, but yes the phantom breaking is real and it's a serious problem. A very serious problem if Tesla wants to be honest. But for some reason Tesla gets away with this crap and has for YEARS. Phantom breaking was introduced somewhere around 2017 and it's still not fixed and doesn't seem like Tesla is close to fixing it either. I hope the NTHSA comes down hard on them for this BS. Between FSD (full self driving) being a complete SCAM and Tesla charging 10K+ for it, at some point consumer advocates are going to have to stop this crap. It used to be Autopilot (basic highway only auto-steering, lane changes, and adaptive cruise control) was in it's own package with auto-park and summon (auto-park works really well). Then Tesla started having problems selling it's vapor ware, AKA FSD, so they bundled it all together forcing people to buy it. Still pisses me off they did that.

Jeff

#388 2 years ago
Quoted from Davidus56:

Sheesh. Cheap electricity is needed for (economical) hydrolysis. Fusion brings dirt cheap electricity. Thus hydrogen can be stored locally. Hydrogen has something like 400 X the energy density of lithium. A 10 lb canister provides an 800 mile range in the typical sedan. Less in bigger trucks/vehicles.

I know and understand everything you just said. It doesn’t make hydrogen powered cars the future. A delivery infrastructure for hydrogen would require a massive revolutionary change. Whereas electricity needs maybe minor grid updates or more local generation. I just can’t see it going that way. But I’m all for getting rid of gas. I’m just sick of countries like Russia and Saudi Arabia who hate us having all the power due to oil production. That’s my main beef with gas cars. If hydrogen is what finally takes us out of that dysfunctional relationship, I’m all for it.

#389 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I know and understand everything you just said. It doesn’t make hydrogen powered cars the future. A delivery infrastructure for hydrogen would require a massive revolutionary change. Whereas electricity needs maybe minor grid updates or more local generation. I just can’t see it going that way. But I’m all for getting rid of gas. I’m just sick of countries like Russia and Saudi Arabia who hate us having all the power due to oil production. That’s my main beef with gas cars. If hydrogen is what finally takes us out of that dysfunctional relationship, I’m all for it.

It's not just the delivery infrastructure it's the storage and transportation. Imagine a hydrogen powered car getting in a serious accident, depending on how much hydrogen they're carrying that accident could take out an entire city block...

Jeff

#390 2 years ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

But how can you wear out brakes that fast? You should look over your way of driving or you’re driving crazy amount of miles a year.
I get minimum 60k km on a set of brakes. Thus far I’m 40k km into the brakes on my Lexus, still got atleast 30k more in them before I need to change them. And they were on and already used when I bought the car so I have no idea how many km they’ve been driven before I bought them.

The brake compound doesn't last as long on these types of brakes, it's somewhere near 30k miles under "optimal" conditions hence realistically you'd get maybe 60-70% of that. Compare that with typical brake pads that can last 40k to 70k miles. It's the same with tires, on my '97 Camaro I used to use Nitto 555r's because they were the only tires that would grip, but they would only last maybe 12k miles. If you want maximum grip be it on tires or brakes it just costs mucho dinero. I'm fine with that as I view brakes like insurance, you usually don't need it but when you do you really really really needed it. I want to be able to stop cold in a panic stop if need be so I've always improved the brakes on any car I drove if it needed it. For example my '97 Camaro came with the worst brakes known to mankind, so I went to a junkyard and got two pistol calipers off a '98 Trams Am which were drop in compatible with it and had them swapped in.

Or the TL:DR is there are some things in life I don't want to save money on and that would include brakes and tires.

#391 2 years ago

The brake compound doesn't last as long on these types of brakes, it's somewhere near 30k miles under "optimal" conditions hence realistically you'd get maybe 60-70% of that. Compare that with typical brake pads that can last 40k to 70k miles. It's the same with tires, on my '97 Camaro I used to use Nitto 555r's because they were the only tires that would grip, but they would only last maybe 12k miles. If you want maximum grip be it on tires or brakes it just costs mucho dinero. I'm fine with that as I view brakes like insurance, you usually don't need it but when you do you really really really needed it. I want to be able to stop cold in a panic stop if need be so I've always improved the brakes on any car I drove if it needed it. For example my '97 Camaro came with the worst brakes known to mankind, so I went to a junkyard and got two pistol calipers off a '98 Trams Am which were drop in compatible with it and had them swapped in.
Or the TL:DR is there are some things in life I don't want to save money on and that would include brakes and tires.

Well there are alternatives out there.
I’m running stock rotors and Endless pads on my Viper GTS. Several track days and maybe 5000km road use and they’re still well above half left.
Bites like a motherf***** but what else would you expect from a company like Endless?
I know about tires, running R888 now but moving over to Nankang AR1 in spring time.
Same there, my R888 has lasted quite a long time for an R tire. 3 track days, 1 drag racing day and lots of burnouts.
Lasts longer than what people say… and I beat the snot out of my car every time I drive it

But none of this can ever be compared to an everyday EV driver.
As it’s simply two different things doing two completely different things.

#392 2 years ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

Well there are alternatives out there.
I’m running stock rotors and Endless pads on my Viper GTS. Several track days and maybe 5000km road use and they’re still well above half left.
Bites like a motherf***** but what else would you expect from a company like Endless?
I know about tires, running R888 now but moving over to Nankang AR1 in spring time.
Same there, my R888 has lasted quite a long time for an R tire. 3 track days, 1 drag racing day and lots of burnouts.
Lasts longer than what people say… and I beat the snot out of my car every time I drive it

Wow I'm amazed you get several track days out of them, people tell me they tend to burn through brakes and tires on just one track day! What state are you in out of curiosity? I wonder if it's maybe a heat thing as with the sun usually shining bright our black top around here can get really hot. I'll admit I've never had the luck you have as far as lasting of brakes and tires and I can't imagine I'm more of a lead foot than a Viper owner lol.

Quoted from ViperTim:

But none of this can ever be compared to an everyday EV driver.

I adore my Model S Plaid. It can beat anything anytime, can handle the twisty mountain roads around here thanks to the really low center of gravity, it can be an eco car when driving it normally, it's amazing on long trips and I can load it with stuff when needed. On my double shoot for both my websites and Youtube last Froday I fit an Arcade 1up unit in the back, a bunch of bondage gear, camera gear, etc all nicely into the back of the Model S. Just a brilliant vehicle.

Quoted from paynemic:

I hope to get one but I’m not loaning anyone 50k interest free for an unknown amount of time. When they start coming off the line I’ll order.

I want to buy one as well in my endless pursuit of torque. However I do get slightly lightheaded at full throttle from a launch on my Model S Plaid, so I fear my body may be getting close to it's limits
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#393 2 years ago

On my double shoot for both my websites and Youtube last Friday I fit an Arcade 1up unit in the back, a bunch of bondage gear, camera gear, etc all nicely into the back of the Model S. Just a brilliant vehicle.

God bless Pinside!

#394 2 years ago

I adore my Model S Plaid. It can beat anything anytime, can handle the twisty mountain roads around here thanks to the really low center of gravity, it can be an eco car when driving it normally, it's amazing on long trips and I can load it with stuff when needed. On my double shoot for both my websites and Youtube last Froday I fit an Arcade 1up unit in the back, a bunch of bondage gear, camera gear, etc all nicely into the back of the Model S. Just a brilliant vehicle.

For a $125K after potential savings It better be Brilliant.
How does it perform at 50%, 25% and 12.5% charge?

#395 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

This guy had some bad luck with his Tesla:
https://old.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/t2xie1/total_electrical_failure_in_a_garage_that_tow/
Usually doesn’t take 3 days to tow an ICE vehicle.

I Found this on the internet:

How do you tow a tesla with no power?
How to put a dead Tesla in neutral or tow mode

Open the hood (see Opening with No Power on page 18).
Remove the maintenance panel by pulling it upwards to release the trim clips that hold it in place.
Remove the cabin intake trim panel by pulling it upwards to release the trim clips that hold it in place.

I guess the "jumper cables" for an ICE did not/will not work. So use your Tezla APP and they will send out a tech out to take care of you. I wonder if the tech will bring a Honda portable generator to give it a charge so it can be driven to a proper super charger.

Bottom Lin: New Technology = New Problems

#396 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

LOL... I didn't know everyone lives in Wisconsin... Could have fooled me... "Everyday people" is quite the broad brush to paint with considering tens of millions of Americans live in states where the extreme cold isn't an issue. One other point I wanted to make up front, the use of A/C in the summer has essentially zero effect on range so not sure what your friend is talking about there...
Now for the rest of the story, yep, in cold like that range really takes a hit in an EV. There are ways to deal with it but those ways are not popular with everyone, such as turning off cabin heat and relying on seat heaters which are far more efficient. I try to tell people you're looking at a 40% reduction on average, from my experience, and I often get told I don't know what I'm talking about blah blah blah... Again, use cases. I could almost immediately in your story it wasn't going to have a happy Tesla ending.

Jeff

And tens of millions of Americans live in cold weather climate. And how about our neighbors to the north (Canada). So your idea is to turn off cabin hear and use the heated seats... And Let The Windows Frost Up?? Fix: just put it in Self Driving Mode and you don't need to see out right? Have you driven your tezla without cabin heat in the Rockys with just the heated seats to stay warm? Does the Tezla have a heated steering wheel? Some ICE cars do, optional, like: Volvo, BMW KIA, Cadillac, Ford Focus, Lexus, Porsche

#397 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

And tens of millions of Americans live in cold weather climate. And how about our neighbors to the north (Canada). So your idea is to turn off cabin hear and use the heated seats... And Let The Windows Frost Up?? Fix: just put it in Self Driving Mode and you don't need to see out right? Have you driven your tezla without cabin heat in the Rockys with just the heated seats to stay warm? Does the Tezla have a heated steering wheel? Some ICE cars do, optional, like: Volvo, BMW KIA, Cadillac, Ford Focus, Lexus, Porsche

In Norway roughly 65% of new car sales are EVs and the majority of those are Tesla's. It's not like Tesla's don't work in the cold... I'm pretty sure Norway is cold, like really cold...

Also, yes I have and it's honestly not that big of a freaking deal but I do understand why it sounds like a huge deal if you've never needed to do that. The S/X do but I don't think think the 3/Y have a heated steering wheel. It's really not a major issue.

Jeff

#398 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I Found this on the internet:
How do you tow a tesla with no power?
How to put a dead Tesla in neutral or tow mode
Open the hood (see Opening with No Power on page 18).
Remove the maintenance panel by pulling it upwards to release the trim clips that hold it in place.
Remove the cabin intake trim panel by pulling it upwards to release the trim clips that hold it in place.
I guess the "jumper cables" for an ICE did not/will not work. So use your Tezla APP and they will send out a tech out to take care of you. I wonder if the tech will bring a Honda portable generator to give it a charge so it can be driven to a proper super charger.
Bottom Lin: New Technology = New Problems

Simple, jump the 12V system and put the car in jack mode
Jumper cables from ICE work just fine, had to jump the 12V system on my Model X when the 12V battery failed off of my friends Jeep... All you need is a regular 12V jump box, any tow truck has one.
Bottom Line: You don't know what you're talking about...

Jeff

#399 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

For a $125K after potential savings It better be Brilliant.
How does it perform at 50%, 25% and 12.5% charge?

At $125k it competes with cars in the $500k to $3 million range so it's a bargain for what it does.

Regardless, that's been tested many times on Youtube, it still does 9 second quarter mile runs and 0-60 in 2.33 seconds at 20% charge. Things change rapidly in this space and most info you hear, especially from anything tied to legacy auto, is likely wrong or outdated. It's just part of their rampant misinformation campaign to kill off anything electric, not surprising when most auto publications be it online or print media have legacy auto as their #1 source of ad revenue. Follow the dollars and the corruption becomes clear.

#400 2 years ago

I've been trying to stay out of this thread but wanted to mention something that happened to me aboot five years ago when I lived in the Detroit area on a cold Winter day.
The heater blower motor failed in my antiquated, soon to be obsolete, ICE Audi A8. I ordered the replacement to pick up at a dealer (antiquated business model) the next day. The car, a 2004, has heated seats all around and a heated steering wheel.
I drove the car to work anyway thinking the heated seats & wheel would be good. It was cold out, single digits. I froze my , well, everything except my ass, back and hands. Cold air stagnating in the cabin sucked. Then the windows , except the rear, (which has a defogger element) started to ice up on the inside.

There are 9,881 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 198.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.