IMG_2300 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2306 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2355 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2384 (resized).jpeg
Bloody Hell (resized).png
IMG_6441 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 12.40.13?PM (resized).png
truck  (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 20-43-13 Ohio just voted to legalize recreational marijuana. See a list of every state where cannabis i
IMG_20240304_193126.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 21-55-03 Shell to close 1 000 gas stations globally focus on EV charging (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 17-01-33 A coal billionaire is building the world’s biggest clean energy plant and it’s five times the
f-150-lightning-switchgear-40-65a81a0876c32 (resized).jpg

There are 9,881 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 198.
#2701 1 year ago
musk (resized).jpgmusk (resized).jpg
#2702 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

How much did those 405 miles cost you? $50, at least? I put 300 miles of range in my EV for just 12 bucks last night, while I was sleeping.

About $40.38. $3.59/gallon then less 5% credit card rebate so $3.41 a gallon and the 600 miles avg mpg was 34.2 MPG = 10 cents a mile and before gas prices went up I was at $.07 per mile. 405 miles range in under 3 minutes and I can out out at night, all night, if I so choose. Instead of waiting for it to charge.

And for 7 cents a mile difference I get much greater range much shorter "refueling times"
BTW Is your EV the primary vehicle ? Can it haul 1 pinball machine? and what to you pay for electricity on the road?

With my new car I get twice the fuel mileage over the old Silverado truck and it has available AWD just turn the knob. A tezla 3 with awd was $16K more than my car and it cant haul a pinball machine! So figure $16,000/.07 per mile you need to drive 228,571 to recoup the cost! makes a lot of cents to me.

#2703 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

About $40.38. $3.59/gallon then less 5% credit card rebate so $3.41 a gallon and the 600 miles avg mpg was 34.2 MPG = 10 cents a mile and before gas prices went up I was at $.07 per mile. 405 miles range in under 3 minutes and I can out out at night, all night, if I so choose. Instead of waiting for it to charge.
And for 7 cents a mile difference I get much greater range much shorter "refueling times"
BTW Is your EV the primary vehicle ? Can it haul 1 pinball machine? and what to you pay for electricity on the road?
With my new car I get twice the fuel mileage over the old Silverado truck and it has available AWD just turn the knob. A tezla 3 with awd was $16K more than my car and it cant haul a pinball machine! So figure $16,000/.07 per mile you need to drive 228,571 to recoup the cost! makes a lot of cents to me.

What’s your new car? Can it haul a pin?

#2704 1 year ago

I haven’t tried hauling a pin in my EV, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it could.

#2705 1 year ago

Regarding the use of 'turbo' in non turbo products, 386 and 486 computers from the '90s had turbo buttons to increase the clock frequency, and even mixers have turbo buttons which I don't recommend using if you're doing the cleanup. The marketing folks have to come up with something that conveys 'fast and more faster'.

#2706 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Regarding the use of 'turbo' in non turbo products, 386 and 486 computers from the '90s had turbo buttons to increase the clock frequency...

The "turbo" buttons were there to slow down the CPU clock for compatibility reasons.

#2707 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

What’s your new car? Can it haul a pin?

2021 GMC Terrain mentioned it several times in the past.

#2708 1 year ago

Special notice to all tezla and toucan owners with 0-60 times in 3.1 seconds... or even 4.1 seconds

There is a big ICE car cruise this Saturday on Woodward Ave. from Pontiac to Ferndale

So get out there after 3PM from 12 to 16 mile roads, the heart of the cruise, and let me know how many time you actually did 0-60

#2709 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

There is a big ICE car cruise this Saturday on Woodward Ave. from Pontiac to Ferndale. So get out there after 3PM from 12 to 16 mile roads, the heart of the cruise, and let me know how many time you actually did 0-60

So you’re hyping a self-imposed ICE traffic jam in which the bumper-to-bumper action will eliminate the EV acceleration advantage? What’s the selling point? Come out and maybe someone will throw a Slurpie at your Tesla while you breath their idling exhaust?

#2710 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

2021 GMC Terrain mentioned it several times in the past.

lol, there is no way in hell you are averaging 34mpg in a 2021 GMC Terrain AWD. That car is rated for 26mpg combined by the EPA. So now I know you’re lying about all the other stuff as well.

#2711 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Come out and maybe someone will throw a Slurpie at your Tesla while you breath their idling exhaust?

If you pay $15 extra you get a wrist band that shows you’re in the contest and a 50% off a slurpie to throw at Teslas. Winner gets a free T-Shirt. It’s pretty much the main attraction.
I always aim for the drivers side window!

#2712 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

So you’re hyping a self-imposed ICE traffic jam in which the bumper-to-bumper action will eliminate the EV acceleration advantage? What’s the selling point? Come out and maybe someone will throw a Slurpie at your Tesla while you breath their idling exhaust?

the POINT is that in traffic like that on Woodward that the smooth 3.1 seconds acceleration is absolutely useless ! DUH!

#2713 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

lol, there is no way in hell you are averaging 34mpg in a 2021 GMC Terrain AWD. That car is rated for 26mpg combined by the EPA. So now I know you’re lying about all the other stuff as well.

YES I was lying not 34 but it is 34.2 MPG ...............read it and weep

Mostly Highway driving, cruise set for 65 mph
34.2 mpg (resized).jpg34.2 mpg (resized).jpg

#2714 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

YES I was lying not 34 but it is 34.2 MPG ...............read it and weep
Mostly Highway driving, cruise set for 65 mph
[quoted image]

What is this, a photo for ants? Maybe you should go work for the EPA, clearly you know some magical secret to get almost 30% more MPG than they did.

#2715 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

He drives downhill to work and back home

#2716 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

He drives downhill to work and back home

I'm retired, so I don't have to fight peak traffic, I coast up to stop signs and 5 under the speed limit...if nobody is behind me
No I don't draft semi-trucks of EVs. It has the auto shut off - auto start feature.

Its not that hard to beat EPA estimates without being one of those "hyper-milers"

#2717 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I'm retired, so I don't have to fight peak traffic, I coast up to stop signs and 5 under the speed limit...if nobody is behind me
No I don't draft semi-trucks of EVs. It has the auto shut off - auto start feature.
Its not that hard to beat EPA estimates without being one of those "hyper-milers"

Hehe. For a guy obsessed with not supercharging because it takes so long to get places… 5 UNDER?!

#2718 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

the POINT is that in traffic like that on Woodward that the smooth 3.1 seconds acceleration is absolutely useless ! DUH!

Makes perfect sense. I imagine the ICE rally will do wonders for your gas mileage as well, keep us posted!

#2719 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Hehe. For a guy obsessed with not supercharging because it takes so long to get places… 5 UNDER?!

My car is Turbocharged, unlike a toucan, with a real turborcharger, Yes sir those little hamsters are on steroids

1.5L turbocharged I4 Horsepower: 170 HP Torque: 203 lb.-ft.

1.4 (resized).jpg1.4 (resized).jpgturboo (resized).jpgturboo (resized).jpg
#2720 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

My car is Turbocharged, unlike a toucan, with a real turborcharger, Yes sir those little hamsters are on steroids
1.5L turbocharged I4 Horsepower: 170 HP Torque: 203 lb.-ft.[quoted image][quoted image]

ICE car guys always bragging about their HP and their lb-ft, amiright?!

Love and respect as always though bob_e!! Looks like an awesome car!

#2721 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

What is this, a photo for ants? Maybe you should go work for the EPA, clearly you know some magical secret to get almost 30% more MPG than they did.

Like I said before I'm retired no need to work for anyone including the government.

The EPA has a set of standards and procedures for driving to get the fuel economy ratings. I said I drive 5 mph slower that the posted speed limit whenever possible. I coast up to stop signs, traffic circles, and stoplights. It is easy to get 32-33 MPG by paying attention even more... Try it some time. It is not magic

asked GOOGLE What speed does EPA test highway mpg?
80 mph Vehicles are tested at a top speed of 80 mph in order to calculate the highway mpg estimates. EPA utilizes five test cycles to represent real-world driving conditions.

the Terrain rated @ 28-30 Hwy try to so slow down to 65 on a level road without a tailwind....and check your results

30% who taught you math ? it is more like 14% BTW the Terrain rated @ 28-30 Hwy

#2722 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

1.5L turbocharged I4 Horsepower: 170 HP Torque: 203 lb.-ft.[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, sorry you have such a slow car. Maybe you should upgrade to my Kona Electric, which gets 201 HP and 291 lb-ft of torque. By the time your turbo finally decides to spin up and deliver the power, I'll be 3 or 4 car lengths clear. What good is having a real turbocharger when my little Kona will smoke you off the line anyway? Assuming I would drag race you, which I wouldn't, of course.

#2723 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

30% who taught you math ? it is more like 14% BTW the Terrain rated @ 28-30 Hwy

EPA says 26 MPG. You claim 34.2 MPG. That's 31% higher than the EPA estimate.

#2724 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:I'm retired, so I don't have to fight peak traffic, I coast up to stop signs and 5 under the speed limit...if nobody is behind me

Totally agree with you. When the gas prices started going up I started watching my speed and cut back five miles an hour when it was convenient and also did the coasting to stop signs and red lights. I also have light traffic on the way to work, and sometime on the way home as well. I've managed to get an extra 2-2.5 miles per gallon on my 2012 SOUL.

Quoted from UnnDunn:

EPA says 26 MPG. You claim 34.2 MPG. That's 31% higher than the EPA estimate.

One time I drove from Kingman AZ. to Norwalk CA. (305 miles), via Oatman on Original RTE66, on 7.5 gallons of gas for a mileage of 40.67 MPG. On a car "Rated" at 27MPG City and 30MPG Hwy.
How? Driving with cruise control and staying a little under the speed limit. Remember, most car companies remind you that "Your Mileage man vary".
The listed mileage is NOT set in stone. It's an average. How you drive can make a lot of difference.

#2725 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

Wow, sorry you have such a slow car. Maybe you should upgrade to my Kona Electric, which gets 201 HP and 291 lb-ft of torque. By the time your turbo finally decides to spin up and deliver the power, I'll be 3 or 4 car lengths clear. What good is having a real turbocharger when my little Kona will smoke you off the line anyway? Assuming I would drag race you, which I wouldn't, of course.

I'm sorry you kona has such a limited range: The EPA estimates the Kona Electric is good for 258 miles of range, (me over 500 miles)

I'm sorry it takes so LONG for you to recharge on the road. Hyundai says it can reach an 80% charge from 10% in approximately 47 minutes using a public DC fast charger, (me less than 3 minutes)

Hmmm 258 miles x 80% now after charging 206 miles

Or at home 9 hours of down time: With a 7.2-kilowatt onboard charger, the Kona can achieve a full battery charge from 10% in about nine hours with a Level 2 charger rated 32 amps or higher (me: I have no desire to wait that long)

My Information on the Kona came for here:
https://www.cars.com/research/hyundai-kona_ev-2022/?aff=acqgeosem55&KNC=acqgeosem55&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7Mfs36rL-QIV8RTUAR0y6gFBEAAYAiAAEgJiDfD_BwE

Smoke me off the line...go smoke whatever you want

And EVs STILL have the range and recharge disadvantage. or add lots of weight to get the range up there, if that option is available.

#2726 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

And EVs STILL have the range and recharge disadvantage. or add lots of weight to get the range up there, if that option is available.

For long trips yes
But not everyday driving

Does your Turdrain fill itself up every night so you have a full tank in the morning?
For regular around town driving for the majority of people - overnight charging will satisfy their daily driving habits and they will rarely have to charge during the day
I know plenty of EV owners that have only ever charged at home and their daily driving habits only use a small percentage of the available range.

#2727 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I'm sorry you kona has such a limited range: The EPA estimates the Kona Electric is good for 258 miles of range, (me over 500 miles)
I'm sorry it takes so LONG for you to recharge on the road. Hyundai says it can reach an 80% charge from 10% in approximately 47 minutes using a public DC fast charger, (me less than 3 minutes)
Hmmm 258 miles x 80% now after charging 206 miles
Or at home 9 hours of down time: With a 7.2-kilowatt onboard charger, the Kona can achieve a full battery charge from 10% in about nine hours with a Level 2 charger rated 32 amps or higher (me: I have no desire to wait that long)
My Information on the Kona came for here:
https://www.cars.com/research/hyundai-kona_ev-2022/?aff=acqgeosem55&KNC=acqgeosem55&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7Mfs36rL-QIV8RTUAR0y6gFBEAAYAiAAEgJiDfD_BwE

Repeating all the same misleading talking points (which are all variations of the same argument, that EVs need more time to charge than you need to fill up) ad nauseam isn't going to change things. EV owners know they take longer to charge. They still love their EVs. Find some different talking points.

Quoted from bob_e:

Smoke me off the line...go smoke whatever you want.

Aww, is diddums upset that their fancy turbocharged car will get dusted by even a cheap EV?

#2728 1 year ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Totally agree with you. When the gas prices started going up I started watching my speed and cut back five miles an hour when it was convenient and also did the coasting to stop signs and red lights. I also have light traffic on the way to work, and sometime on the way home as well. I've managed to get an extra 2-2.5 miles per gallon on my 2012 SOUL.

One time I drove from Kingman AZ. to Norwalk CA. (305 miles), via Oatman on Original RTE66, on 7.5 gallons of gas for a mileage of 40.67 MPG. On a car "Rated" at 27MPG City and 30MPG Hwy.
How? Driving with cruise control and staying a little under the speed limit. Remember, most car companies remind you that "Your Mileage man vary".
The listed mileage is NOT set in stone. It's an average. How you drive can make a lot of difference.

I did exactly the same thing with my old Jeep Wrangler when gas prices spiked, driving at a reduced speed on the highway, coasting to stop signs and traffic lights, etc. I gained about 2 MPG and I have the charts to prove it. On a car rated 18 MPG by the EPA. That's an 11% gain. So when bob_e says he gets 31% more than the EPA rated range, I'm gonna need to see some evidence of that. And no, a blurry photo of a random dashboard doesn't count.

Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 9.23.53 AM.pngScreenshot 2022-08-16 at 9.23.53 AM.png
#2729 1 year ago

Bob comes out as a hyper miler, who woulda thought?

#2730 1 year ago

For long trips yes
But not everyday driving
Does your Turdrain fill itself up every night so you have a full tank in the morning?
For regular around town driving for the majority of people - overnight charging will satisfy their daily driving habits and they will rarely have to charge during the day
I know plenty of EV owners that have only ever charged at home and their daily driving habits only use a small percentage of the available range.

It's does not need to fill every night since it can fill from empty in 2 minutes once a week or so. And it can go out at night without sacrifice the next days driving.

#2731 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

It's does not need to fill every night since it can fill from empty in 2 minutes once a week or so. And it can go out at night without sacrifice the next days driving.

Just curious, how far is your daily commute? Many EV drivers do not need to charge every night. Some can go multiple days or a week without charging. If you have a long commute you may need to charge nightly, sure, but what is inconveniencing about that? You still don't have to stop at a gas station. You can also set the charger to charge your EV during off-peak hours at an even cheaper rate.

#2732 1 year ago

Regarding the people getting extra MPG beyond the ratings - there was a reason why we had to stay below 55 back in the 70s, for the "energy crisis". And believe me, in CA at least, you stayed below 55 all the time, because CHP would nail you if you went over. I remember making the driving trips to Las Vegas, it took FOR - EVER. But Nevada highway patrol, they were OK with you getting to town as quick as possible so you could blow your money. So when everyone hit the state line, it was PEDAL TO THE METAL and a full-on race for the next 40 miles LOL.

#2733 1 year ago

Charger and Challenger are being cut in favor of EVs

#2734 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Regarding the people getting extra MPG beyond the ratings - there was a reason why we had to stay below 55 back in the 70s, for the "energy crisis". And believe me, in CA at least, you stayed below 55 all the time, because CHP would nail you if you went over. I remember making the driving trips to Las Vegas, it took FOR - EVER. But Nevada highway patrol, they were OK with you getting to town as quick as possible so you could blow your money. So when everyone hit the state line, it was PETAL TO THE METAL and a full-on race for the next 40 miles LOL.

I find the there’s so much traffic there now on the weekends you can’t.

#2735 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

That makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever... I could go out at night too and have no problems the next day, what are you even talking about? This is yet another example of completely imaginary situations that never actually happen to people being used as a justification for not wanting an EV. Okay fine, just say I don't want one... Why come up with the obvious farcical attempts to justify your position?

Owned Teslas for 6 years, never ONCE did I ever feel like I didn't have enough battery capacity. Again, NOT ONCE. We commuted, we drove all over freaking CA FFS... I can't remember a single time where I was like "honey sorry we can't make this trip as we won't be able to drive the car tomorrow if we do..." It's just so ridiculously silly and that was even before the time where superchargers were damn near everywhere.

Honestly to me it seems like there are some who are just against EVs period, they can't explain why, they just know they don't want one. I get that actually, there are things I don't want and my only justification is "just because".

Jeff

#2736 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

Maybe you should upgrade to my Kona Electric,

Don't you mean down grade ???

Does not have AWD? NOPE! not even an option. A feature that is good for the winter season here in Michigan.
SMALL cargo space: 19 cubic feet behind the rear seat & 48.5 seat folded down. vs 29.6 and 65.3 cubic feet.

Can you put a pinball machine in your Kona?

So All I get is acceleration from 0 to 60... that is all I hear from Musketeers, and on that point they are correct.
I have not found comparable data yet on 50-75 or 80 mph (freeway on ramps)

#2737 1 year ago

EV rolling performance is also stellar. I can get from any rolling speed to triple digits effortlessly, at any time.

No dropping a gear, no extra noise or drama, just woosh.

#2738 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Does not have AWD? NOPE! not even an option. A feature that is good for the winter season here in Michigan.
SMALL cargo space: 19 cubic feet behind the rear seat & 48.5 seat folded down. vs 29.6 and 65.3 cubic feet.
So All I get is acceleration from 0 to 60... that is all I hear from Musketeers, and on that point they are correct.

KONA may not have AWD but several EV Pickups & SUVs do and the systems can be far superior to what you find on ICE since all 4 wheels can be controlled independently with precession - can the Turdrain do that?

#2739 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I find the there’s so much traffic there now on the weekends you can’t.

In SoCal - yes, depending on where you are and the timing, it can get crowded. But, not always. If it is flowing, 55 will be like a dead stop. You better get going about 80 to stay with the flow, or they will run you right off the road.

In keeping with the thread, I will say that the number of Teslas on the LA roads continues to grow, at least from my casual observations. Also, completely unrelated to anyone's love or hate for EVs, we had a really strange occurrence on the 405 the other day. Medium traffic was moving along, then all of a sudden there was a slowdown in my lane. Everyone was diverting around, and I came up on a white Tesla that was slowing, slowing, then stopped right in the middle lane. I was thinking to myself, well, damn, that thing must have run out of juice. But no, that wasn't it. Just behind it (and right in front of me) was a Mini Cooper. As I was getting ready to go around, so did the Mini Cooper. But then, the Tesla went in front of it and cut it off. Then, they both took off, with the Tesla going fast, then slow, and every time the Mini tried to pass it the Tesla would cut it off.

Yes, that's right, a full-on road rage confrontation between a Tesla and a Mini Cooper. I laid back a bit to keep them in front of me so I could react if necessary because it was getting kind of dangerous. It went on that way for a few miles before I veered off. I hope they resolved their personal issues.

Unfortunately I was driving my car that doesn't have a dashcam, I would have loved to get that one on video.

#2740 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

In SoCal - yes, depending on where you are and the timing, it can get crowded. But, not always. If it is flowing, 55 will be like a dead stop. You better get going about 80 to stay with the flow, or they will run you right off the road.
In keeping with the thread, I will say that the number of Teslas on the LA roads continues to grow, at least from my casual observations. Also, completely unrelated to anyone's love or hate for EVs, we had a really strange occurrence on the 405 the other day. Medium traffic was moving along, then all of a sudden there was a slowdown in my lane. Everyone was diverting around, and I came up on a white Tesla that was slowing, slowing, then stopped right in the middle lane. I was thinking to myself, well, damn, that thing must have run out of juice. But no, that wasn't it. Just behind it (and right in front of me) was a Mini Cooper. As I was getting ready to go around, so did the Mini Cooper. But then, the Tesla went in front of it and cut it off. Then, they both took off, with the Tesla going fast, then slow, and every time the Mini tried to pass it the Tesla would cut it off.
Yes, that's right, a full-on road rage confrontation between a Tesla and a Mini Cooper. I laid back a bit to keep them in front of me so I could react if necessary because it was getting kind of dangerous. It went on that way for a few miles before I veered off. I hope they resolved their personal issues.
Unfortunately I was driving my car that doesn't have a dashcam, I would have loved to get that one on video.

Douchy driving… one thing EV and non-EV drivers still have in common…

#2741 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

True, we have idiots like this all over the place here.

The only thing that would make it interesting would be if the Tesla was under the Full Self Driving mode. Does it have a "road rage" function you can dial in?

#2742 1 year ago

KONA may not have AWD but several EV Pickups & SUVs do and the systems can be far superior to what you find on ICE since all 4 wheels can be controlled independently with precession - can the Turdrain do that?

Yes the Terrain has both Traction & Stability control in both 2WD and AWD modes.

So tell all of us: Are you too lazy to look it up? Or just trash talking because you don't know shit.

https://www.gmcterrain2.com/gmc_terrain_traction_control_electronic_stability_control_system_operation-1566.html

#2743 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I have found the guys with trucks in CO are THE most douche anywhere. They all have issues…

#2744 1 year ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Kingman is 3300' elevation; Norwalk is 97'. Drive that route in reverse and see what you get. Yes, downhill makes a HUGE difference in mileage. I do a regular, 110 mile commute that involves about 2500' in elevation change. My mileage varies about 10mpg from the uphill to the downhill direction.

#2745 1 year ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

Kingman is 3300' elevation; Norwalk is 97'. Drive that route in reverse and see what you get. Yes, downhill makes a HUGE difference in mileage. I do a regular, 110 mile commute that involves about 2500' in elevation change. My mileage varies about 10mpg from the uphill to the downhill direction.

It's not all downhill. There are a couple of places that have steep inclines. Approaching San Bernidino is one of them. Also, I didn't get the same kind of mileage goindg downhill from Flagstaff (7000 ft) downhill to Kingman. Why? Traffic. But I still got over average mileage.
BTW: When I went from Norwalk to Kingman the Previous week, I still managed to get 33 MPG. That included two detours along the way.

#2746 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Yes the Terrain has both Traction & Stability control in both 2WD and AWD modes.
So tell all of us: Are you too lazy to look it up? Or just trash talking because you don't know shit.
https://www.gmcterrain2.com/gmc_terrain_traction_control_electronic_stability_control_system_operation-1566.html

Yes, I know that. But what you did not comprehend, or maybe I did not explain it in simple enough terms is that:
An EV with 4 electric motors, like the Rivian and others, will have far superior AWD/4WD capabilities over your Turdrain or any other ICE AWD system.

#2747 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

None of your criticisms have to do with EVs. The Kona ICE version has the same size issues. It is a small city runabout. If you want to haul a pin with AWD, you can get the Ioniq 5, which has available all-wheel-drive, is big enough to haul a pin, and will smoke you off the line even harder than my Kona would. Plus it will be more reliable, with less maintenance than your Turdrain. Oh, and by the way, it charges up in as little as 18 minutes and comes with 2 years of free charging. Did your Turdrain come with 2 years of free gasoline? No? That's a shame.

PS. I noticed you haven’t come up with a witty name for the Kona yet. What’s the matter, can’t think of anything?

#2748 1 year ago

Just an observational note, as far as I know the impact of the driver's behavior affects efficiency (and therefore operating cost) in a similar way for both ICE and EV. This is related to the discussions about hypermiling and such.

For a long time, we have all known those people who complain that they are only getting 15 mpg when others with the same car are getting 20 or more. Then you get in the car with them and it is obvious why. Speeding like crazy, always stomping the gas on every takeoff, flying full speed towards red lights then stomping the brakes at the last instant. Of course your mpg is gonna suck. And, it can make a pretty big difference in you put a different driver in that same car, who does just the opposite of all those things.

I don't have direct EV experience, but I did read that the effect is basically the same there. You can influence your mi/kWh quite a bit by virtue of your driving habits. So if you have all that super-fast acceleration and you use it to constantly speed around town, you won't get as far on a charge. Or, you could hypermile it by taking it easy and steady cruising if you want to increase efficiency and save some $$. I'm guessing there is a big variance in EV drivers as to how they approach this, just like for ICE.

Myself personally, I'm always up for cruising it easy and going for max efficiency. I would do the same with ICE or EV. I don't have a huge personal desire to race other cars off the line, I'm happy to get where I am going in one piece.

#2749 1 year ago

I optimize for stomping on it as hard as I can because charging it is so cheap.

#2750 1 year ago

There's too much EV defense here for a thread called "I hate EVs" thread! Let's get back to complaining about them!

Things I hate about EVs:
- charging stations are unmanned; if you have a charger issue, there's no one to turn to
- that time you *did* forget to plug in your car for your big trip the next day
- the fact that EV remaining millage estimation behavior is very unpredictable, vs the very linear behavior of an ICE fuel indicator
- that the tires don't last as long
- that you can get widely different millage based on the temperature
- that the one time you do run out of charge (the one charging station you were counting on is out of service), you're kind of screwed; limited ways to get non-charging station power to your car vs someone bringing a stranded ICE car a gas can.
- that a lot of apps, estimates, companies, etc still aren't set up electric car information.
- all the threads talking about how they hate your car

There are 9,881 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 198.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread/page/55 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.