3%
  • Neutral 95 votes
    19%
  • *I actually like EVs* 269 votes
    55%

(489 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 16-44-36 EV vs. Gas Which Cars Are Cheaper to Own (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 7.44.38?AM (resized).png
IMG_5069 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 8.10.29?AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-17-22 Ford targets Tesla owners with $1 500 EV 'conquest' rebates (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-19-38 Family Own A Tesla Get $1 500 Off A Ford Mustang Mach-E Carscoops (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 11-54-36 Best Solar Generator for Home Backup Power EcoFlow US (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 09-48-53 EcoFlow DELTA Pro 2 × 220W Solar Panel DELTA Pro Extra Battery D - (Members-only) DELTA Pro 2
248edf2c-1a41-4790-a83f-64f0bd20ad95 (resized).png
f285d5d3-ceec-4b7f-a741-0770ba2431ef (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240409_134107.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
200w.gif
There are 10,030 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 201.
#2651 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Are you going to acknowledge that the reason for it is to give EV charging customers even better rates?
"Separately metering EV charging independently from a customer’s main utility meter is crucial because special rate structures apply to EVs that allow customers to buy less costly power during off-peak times."

I don't get this part. Why is a separate meter needed? As I posted previously, our local power company already offers a special rate for EV owners which applies in the off-peak times. No separate meter needed. I guess you have to prove to them somehow that you do have an EV. However, that TOU (Time of Use) plan isn't all roses, as you specifically have to pay a higher rate than everyone else for the critical 4-9 PM hours. So unless you can cut back your usage during that time, you have to factor that in. This is where having solar could be a benefit. Some of my neighbors say their electrical bill is basically zero with their solar panel installation, even if they crank the AC down low during the summer month 4-9 PM window. So if you have that and you toss in EV charging, you should come out ahead with the EV TOU plan.

However, I will say we have been on smart meters for some years now, so that could be the issue. If you don't have a smart meter then I don't think there would be a way to know what electricity you are using during all times of the day. Then, you would need a separate meter. I don't know to what degree smart meters have been implemented within the USA or elsewhere globally.

The smart meter thing is kind of cool, I can log in and track my kWh usage by the hour for any day.

#2652 1 year ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I have been in the electric generation business for 45 years. Nuclear , coal , oil, gas, solar, wind etc. Been part of teams in over 20 states that create/ generate electric power.
My “truth” is that Nuclear is too expensive and takes too long to build.
A 1000MW Nuclear plant is probably 20 times more expensive. And will take 10 to 20 times the construction period as a modern day gas combined cycle unit. The Nuke will be less efficient and one heck of a lot slower than the gas cc plant to respond to grid dynamics.
The nuke will need 500 to 700 people to operate it and the gas plant approximately 30.
The fuel and carbon emissions advantage does go to Nuclear but the spent fuel waste is still a problem. The spent fuel rods are stored in dry caskets on concrete pads at the plants.
There is only one company in the US today building nuclear because of financial implications. It is a utility and it will be interesting to see the impacts it has on customer prices due to the hi construction costs when it does go on line.
Most of the Nuclear plants operating today were built in the 70’s and early 80’s. Even back then , the cost and lengthy schedule delays almost bankrupted several of the parent companies during construction. Be hard to see a modern day public company board of directors take on the financial risk for some time
Most of the electricity created in the North East today is fueled by gas not coal. The coal plants got crushed economically by low natural gas prices from 2008 till about prices. Most of the smaller ones shut down for economics all over the country.

I thought the spent fuel rods had to spend some time in water pools (on site) to keep them cool before going to dry storage?

In CA we burn a lot of gas during that sad time of day when demand goes up (4-9 PM) and the spinners can't keep up and the solar panels go dark, it is fed into big jet engines bolted to the ground, known as peakers. Most people have no idea that they exist. There are about 80 or so of them in CA

#2653 1 year ago

nukes will continue to be slow, expensive, and not politically viable until there is some revolution with recycling or waste handling. The green shift isn't going to tackle those issue - so short of some new cycle... it's politically dead.

The problem with most fossil fuels is again with the full cycle. Be it talk of fracking, mine safety, or 'NIMBY' - they too will continue to be a struggle to push for up front.

One angle that could help more is more co-ops and interchanges to help get capacity to where the load is. Efficiencies there can in theory help share burdens and improve robustness (so shitshows like Texas can be avoided).

I do wonder if disruptors will maybe try to enter the space...

#2654 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Not gonna acknowledge my link literally confirming sub metering?

I don't care about arguing with you anymore. You are always going to be wrong on this. Please repost this whenever it's necessary for a reply.

#2655 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Because you start making the argument that the rich can afford the 1% - while the poor can not.. so now your 'fair' tax is still punishing the poor.

Not gonna read the rest of your post just gonna assume you came to the logical conclusion that the rich need to actually pay way more in taxes lest we build a society comfortable for a top 10% and barely livable for the rest great idea!

#2656 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It doesn't matter if it's a fixed amount or percentage.

Oh hell yes it does. Whenever you discuss taxes, you must ALWAYS refer to the tax in the reference of what percentage of income is being paid, to get a clear picture of the true burden on the taxpayer. The rest of your post made no sense. But on this, if nothing else, it's important to emphasize.

Let me give you an example. Person A makes a million a year. Person B makes 1000 a year. Person A pays 10,000 in taxes. Person B pays 300 in taxes. Who gave more?

Person B.

They paid 30% of their salary in taxes. Person A only paid 1% of their salary. That's regressive, and it's wrong. And it's why the middle class gets poorer while the richest have increased their salaries by 300% since 1980.

#2657 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I don't care about arguing with you anymore. You are always going to be wrong on this. Please repost this whenever it's necessary for a reply.

I’ll post as I please, sir

#2658 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I’ll post as I please, sir

#2659 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Quoted from MtnFrost:

#2660 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

You are always going to be wrong on this.

You ignore me
-
Announce ignoring me which is against
pinside forum rules
-
Un-ignore me to argue with me
-
I proposed separate metering
-
You said would never happen
-
I provide you a link to Californias Public Utility Commission’s website stating that California is now “allowing” it which indicates the utility has been asking for it quite sometime for it to get to the point of it being approved by a governing body
-
You respond with this childish response as a default reply

62219BCF-2072-4B50-9B53-DD9A457A9D28.gif62219BCF-2072-4B50-9B53-DD9A457A9D28.gif
#2661 1 year ago

I hate the I hate EV's thread.

#2662 1 year ago

We need to start a "I love the future" thread instead. Make it positive from the beginning.

#2663 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

We need to start a "I love the future" thread instead. Make it positive from the beginning.

Just start an I love EVs thread, pretty sure it would be a completely different tone than this one. Hell I’d probably not even participate in it because I understand it’s a thread centered around loving EVs.

#2664 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I hate the I hate EV's thread.

OK fine, take your toucan and drive into the sunset

#2665 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

The smooth, instant acceleration

thank you you made my point its all about acceleration.

BTW my stock 2000 corvette can make at clean pass starting a 55 in three seconds

#2666 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

BTW my stock 2000 corvette can make at clean pass starting a 55 in three seconds

Who cares, how is it for fuel economy in stop and start downtown traffic? I had a 1978 Silver Anniversary. Love vettes, but I think after the C6 they became ugly. I would love a C3 EV. Can dream.

#2667 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

OK fine, take your toucan and drive into the sunset

Toco-toucan.jpgToco-toucan.jpg
#2668 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

nukes will continue to be slow, expensive, and not politically viable until there is some revolution with recycling or waste handling. The green shift isn't going to tackle those issue - so short of some new cycle... it's politically dead.
The problem with most fossil fuels is again with the full cycle. Be it talk of fracking, mine safety, or 'NIMBY' - they too will continue to be a struggle to push for up front.
One angle that could help more is more co-ops and interchanges to help get capacity to where the load is. Efficiencies there can in theory help share burdens and improve robustness (so shitshows like Texas can be avoided).
I do wonder if disruptors will maybe try to enter the space...

We need the Aliens to bestow us with a Zero Point energy generator - that would be a game changer

#2669 1 year ago

Ford raises the price of the F150 Lightning $6,000 - $8,500 due to "significant material cost increases and other factors”. This will impact existing preorders.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/08/09/ford-increasing-price-of-electric-f-150-lightning-.html

#2670 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Wait, I thought you didn't like people who made claims of how fast their car was? Poor boomer - you thought you were special with your Corvette, now any run of the mill Tesla will smoke you. I understand why your feelings are hurt now!

#2671 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Wait, I thought you didn't like people who made claims of how fast their car was? Poor boomer - you thought you were special with your Corvette, now any run of the mill Tesla will smoke you. I understand why your feelings are hurt now!

He must feel like it's cheating to roll up in an EV.

#2672 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Ford raises the price of the F150 Lightning $6,000 - $8,500 due to "significant material cost increases and other factors”. This will impact existing preorders.
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/08/09/ford-increasing-price-of-electric-f-150-lightning-.html

I cant wait to hear the "This is Putin's battery price hike!" responses
All jokes aside that is a kick in the gut...

#2673 1 year ago

Holy shit you all like to argue.

#2674 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

No we don't!!!

#2675 1 year ago
Quoted from mostater:

No we don't!!!

Speak for yourself!!

#2676 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

As much as the guys like to destroy me in this thread when it comes down to it, it’d still have all your backs and be by your sides in a bar fight.

#2677 1 year ago

#2678 1 year ago

No only 11 states have inspections! No, Skynet is going to take over. Yes, the grid is going to catch on fire. Yes, UFO's exist (oops wrong thread).

#2679 1 year ago

In all honesty living in one of those few states that has a safety inspection, if F'ng sucks. Yes, it makes the roads overall safer because you can't get away with a lot of sketchy stuff (at least once every two years when you get your inspection). However, the inspection takes the shops 2 hrs and it's only $20 and change. That means the shops are constantly trying to fail you for stuff they fix to make their money back. I know for a fact I have been lied to a couple times. I just scheduled mine in two weeks, so I have to take time to drop my Land Cruiser off and then pick it up the next day. While there I wanted my transmission drained and filled, but the shop might not have time. At least this shop has proven to be trustworthy.

#2680 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

In all honesty living in one of those few states that has a safety inspection, if F'ng sucks. Yes, it makes the roads overall safer because you can't get away with a lot of sketchy stuff (at least once every two years when you get your inspection). However, the inspection takes the shops 2 hrs and it's only $20 and change. That means the shops are constantly trying to fail you for stuff they fix to make their money back. I know for a fact I have been lied to a couple times. I just scheduled mine in two weeks, so I have to take time to drop my Land Cruiser off and then pick it up the next day. While there I wanted my transmission drained and filled, but the shop might not have time. At least this shop has proven to be trustworthy.

New York State safety+emissions inspections take about 15 minutes. But they cost $37. EVs don't require emissions inspections (of course), so that's $27 off the inspection fee.

#2681 1 year ago

In Texas the inspection takes about 5 minutes and $7 for an EV. There's a shitload less to test when there's no exhaust.

#2682 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

New York State safety+emissions inspections take about 15 minutes. But they cost $37. EVs don't require emissions inspections (of course), so that's $27 off the inspection fee.

If you live in St. Louis or KC you have to do emissions too. That's super quick because it's a quick OBDII scan to make sure you have no recent check engines cleared. The safety is 2 hrs..

#2683 1 year ago

Porsche Beats Tesla’s Nurburgring EV Record With Taycan Turbo S

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alistaircharlton/2022/08/10/porsche-beats-tesla-nurburgring-ev-record-with-taycan-turbo-s/?sh=3146f2dd4a07

Seriously how does one TURBOcharge an electric motor?? there are no exhaust gases to spin a turbocharger

#2684 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alistaircharlton/2022/08/10/porsche-beats-tesla-nurburgring-ev-record-with-taycan-turbo-s/?sh=3146f2dd4a07
Seriously how does one TURBOcharge an electric motor?? there are no exhaust gases to spin a turbocharger

I think it’s just a naming convention. Definitely not an actual turbo.

#2685 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Trust me, those of us in the Porsche community HATE this naming choice because it is absolutely nonsensical for an electric motor.

BTW exhaust gas charging is supercharging, turbocharging is blowing air into the intake.

#2686 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Have you learned nothing from mrm_4? It’s all in the fans.

#2687 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX: BTW exhaust gas charging is supercharging, turbocharging is blowing air into the intake.

Are you saying Procharger, Vortech and Paxton make turbochargers, not superchargers, since they blow air into intakes?

#2688 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Are you saying Procharger, Vortech and Paxton make turbochargers, not superchargers, since they blow air into intakes?

It looks like I am stupid, to be honest.

"A turbocharger takes an indirect approach as it does not mechanically connect to the engine. Instead, it uses the stream of exhaust gas from the engine to spin a turbine that powers the compressor.

A supercharger physically connects to the engine. It operates by using the engine's crankshaft as a direct energy source for the compressor. "

Source: https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/whats-the-difference-between-turbocharging-and-supercharging

Not that any of this legacy tech matters to me. Electric motors beat all of this.

#2689 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Seriously how does one TURBOcharge an electric motor??

If any EV has the right to claim "turbocharging" as a feature, it's Porsche Taycan. It's the fastest-charging EV you can buy right now.

#2690 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

If any EV has the right to claim "turbocharging" as a feature, it's Porsche Taycan. It's the fastest-charging EV you can buy right now.

Ha! You're right, if you're willing to overload the term.

And yes, I've done extensive road tripping in the Taycan and the charge stops are awesome.

4000 miles to CA and back and all were under 30 mins except for a single Francis Energy charger that capped out at 150kW.

#2691 1 year ago

Times are changing. Its just too bad cars are eventually going to become the equivalent of a cellphone.

#2692 1 year ago

Hmmm at the gas pump is 8000 miles per hour a good charging rate AKA TURBO-charging?

thats right EV lovers my range increased 405 Miles in 3 minutes refueling time

#2694 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Hmmm at the gas pump is 8000 miles per hour a good charging rate AKA TURBO-charging?

thats right EV lovers my range increased 405 Miles in 3 minutes refueling time

How much did those 405 miles cost you? $50, at least? I put 300 miles of range in my EV for just 12 bucks last night, while I was sleeping.

#2695 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

How much did those 405 miles cost you? $50, at least? I put 300 miles of range in my EV for just 12 bucks last night, while I was sleeping.

How much was your EV?

#2696 1 year ago

The Tesla 3 long range just became unavailable to order until 2023. Merry Christmas stocking stuffers!

#2697 1 year ago

So is everbody in Michigan

#2698 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

The Tesla 3 long range just became unavailable to order until 2023. Merry Christmas stocking stuffers!

I’m amazed! 2023?!! Wow

#2699 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

So is everbody in Michigan

Bob e scores a direct hit!! Hahahahah

#2700 1 year ago

Glad I left when I was 4!

There are 10,030 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread/page/54 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.