ford-charge-station-pro-install-with-1-conduit-this-time-v0-e1kcy3p1c3za1.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Image 4-21-24 at 1.05?PM (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 13-53-01 Who Wants a Loud Car (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 18-12-04 reddit (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 8.32.26?AM (resized).png
used (resized).jpg
There are 10,079 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 202.
#2501 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Yep, understand completely. I very well could be wrong, no idea. All I know is I won't buy another Tesla and any opportunity I get to discourage others from doing so I'll take it.
Jeff

I wouldn't buy tezla in the first place....
Very few service centers that don't have a good supply of parts, then the mobil service guys drive ICE vans not EV.
They sell you a car on line then its see you later sucker.

Some call dealerships stealer-ships
Well my dealership had a loaner car for me and the repair was completed in 5 hours under warranty and they washed my car.

Those who bought the Toucan at least have the full support of the Porsche dealership network.

#2502 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

sorry but my rate is $.19/kwh or $77.50 per month or $930 per year
and just how many miles do i get for the 408k Wh's ??
Electric rates vary a lot from state to state or region

A general guideline is about 3 miles per kWh. It can be higher or lower than that in any specific situation depending on a variety of factors. But from what I have read that's a good starting point.

So at your rate it would be around 6 cents per mile to run your EV.

Your rate is lower than ours

#2503 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Those who bought the Toucan at least have the full support of the Porsche dealership network.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Oh man I have tears in my eyes

#2504 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

A general guideline is about 3 miles per kWh. It can be higher or lower than that in any specific situation depending on a variety of factors. But from what I have read that's a good starting point.
So at your rate it would be around 6 cents per mile to run your EV.
Your rate is lower than ours

at current sams club gas price $3.99 and current gas mileage 32.4 works out to .12 a mile then add .01 for oil changes

so for .07 per mile a tezla three eats a set of tire in 15K mile and my ICE will do 30K (on the low estimate) a set of Michilen Pilot sport from discount tire is $ 1460 vs $1050 in gas and oil.... yes an EV makes economical sense to me

#2505 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

at current sams club gas price $3.99 and current gas mileage 32.4 works out to .12 a mile then add .01 for oil changes

bravo, you win

#2506 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

If 50% of the population is going to charge their batteries while they sleep then isn’t that the same as having a certain time frame dedicated to using AC or anything else at that matter. There is this facade that RIGHT NOW with 3% of the country charging EVs at night during traditional off peak that everything is ok but that’s only 3% and most people charge at night because they aren’t driving not because they made a moral decision to only charge their car off peak. Also the only way this Off Peak solve works is if it’s controlled and not left to the option of the car owner. People will charge whenever they want or need it unless they are physically limited.

In NYC where I live, ConEdison (the local electricity utility) has a program* that pays EV drivers to charge during overnight hours and avoid summer peak hours (in addition to reduced electricity costs during overnight hours). And there are already "smart" EVSEs that can be controlled over the internet by the local utility to dynamically manage charging demand.

You aren't the first person to raise this concern, and people much smarter than you are already working on it.

*Full disclosure: this is a referral link; I get $25 if you click and sign up. If you don't want that, just take the referral code off the URL.

#2507 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I'm on a road trip back home from San Antonio with the wife.
We've been tracking charge/drive times using the app I'm building.
I can say the Tesla Model 3 charges SUBSTANTIALLY slower than the Taycan.

Stupid question perhaps but could it be Tesla limiting supercharging current due to demand charges from Texas utilities? They did it in CA in a few spots for that reason for a while.

Jeff

#2508 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Stupid question perhaps but could it be Tesla limiting supercharging current due to demand charges from Texas utilities? They did it in CA in a few spots for that reason for a while.
Jeff

Could be, but it also could just be that the Taycan was designed for faster charging from the outset with its 800 volt architecture.

#2509 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Could be, but it also could just be that the Taycan was designed for faster charging from the outset with its 800 volt architecture.

Ah... Never mind, I did not know the Taycan was an 800v system.

Jeff

#2510 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Wouldn't a closer comparison be to the Model S / Plaid edition vs the Model 3?

#2511 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Wouldn't a closer comparison be to the Model S / Plaid edition vs the Model 3?

Well, the Model 3 and base Taycan are the two cars we have, so it's what I'm comparing.

The Model 3 is faster off the line, BTW.

#2512 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

In NYC where I live, ConEdison (the local electricity utility) has a program* that pays EV drivers to charge during overnight hours and avoid summer peak hours (in addition to reduced electricity costs during overnight hours). And there are already "smart" EVSEs that can be controlled over the internet by the local utility to dynamically manage charging demand.
You aren't the first person to raise this concern, and people much smarter than you are already working on it.
*Full disclosure: this is a referral link; I get $25 if you click and sign up. If you don't want that, just take the referral code off the URL.

Yeah thats a brilliant idea and works when like 100+ cars in the city are plugged in, with todays numbers. The thought was more around when half of ConEdisons customers have EVs and plug their cars in at night that number goes from a few 100 to 100s of 1000s.

Any body can come up with a number of cars in your city, then imagine half of those are now EVs, and imagine that number all plugging in cars during the same time.

#2513 1 year ago

All this FUD about the grid imploding when cars plug in cracks me up.

You should compare the cost of running things like an oven, dryer, or HVAC to EV charges.

#2514 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

All this FUD about the grid imploding when cars plug in cracks me up.
You should compare the cost of running things like an over, dryer, or HVAC to EV charges.

It’s not a concern of cost it’s about straining the grid.

I’m just saying we put the cart before the horse. Push for EVs before the push to be able to handle all the EVs. I’d rather look out my window and see a utility crew making upgrades first instead of seeing a shit ton of EVs while there are constant outages in a few years.

https://www.capoliticalreview.com/capoliticalnewsandviews/californias-electrical-grid-has-an-ev-problem/

‘Like adding one or two air conditioners’
Globally, the number of electric vehicles is expected to swell from 7 million to 400 million by 2040. The transition to zero-emission cars is estimated to add 2,000 TWh to annual energy demand by 2050 — a 40% increase — according to a study by global advisory group ICF.
Rajagopal’s team of researchers at Stanford developed a model framework to help utility companies around the world calculate charging patterns to better manage electricity demand. In California, it found that peak charging demand would more than double by 2030 if EV owners opted to charge in the evening at home.
“The use of an electric vehicle is like adding one or two air conditioners to your residence in terms of its energy increase,” Mike Jacobs, Senior Energy Analyst at Union of Concerned Scientists, told Yahoo Finance. “So when the local utility engineer looks at this, he thinks of that air conditioning in the afternoon and the electric vehicle coming home at the same time.”
Power transmission tower is silhouetted by the rising sun in Burlingame, California on October 26, 2019. (Photo by Yichuan Cao/NurPhoto via Getty Images)
Jacobs said the transition will mark a dramatic adjustment in behavior. Utility companies and service operators, who have long grown accustomed to “a predictable shape” and schedule in energy usage, will be forced to more actively manage the grid to avoid surges. Likewise, drivers will be forced to adapt to new charging times, with some being asked to plug in at work during the day, while others commit to set hours at night to ensure even distribution of energy capacity.
In Concord, Massachusetts, where Jacobs lives, his local utility has already asked that he set a timer on his electric vehicle so he is not charging until after 10 pm at night in exchange for a discounted rate. Technology that allows the grid and cars to communicate directly is likely to follow, he said.“

#2515 1 year ago

I see more and more EVs on the road every single day, even in Texas where they cannot technically be sold due to a powerful car dealer lobby. (They get sold as CA purchases and transferred into Texas.)

This worry that EVs are going to melt the grid is unfounded.

We're in over a month of triple digit heat with everyone running 2ACs constantly, AND charging cars, and it's fine.

And that's in Texas, the worst grid in the country.

But let's play this through. What if the grid DOES start to strain solely due to electric car charging?
There are plenty of ways to address this besides just adding capacity:

- Time of use discounts
- Stagger time of use discounts on alternating days (most people don't strictly need to charge every day)

Speaking of not needing to charge every day...every day is not the same level of charge, either. It just depends on how much driving you've done since you last charged.

Need proof? Here is real world data for July 2022 on my car.

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 3.29.59 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-04 at 3.29.59 PM.png
#2516 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I’m just saying we put the cart before the horse. Push for EVs before the push to be able to handle all the EVs. I’d rather look out my window and see a utility crew making upgrades first instead of seeing a shit ton of EVs while there are constant outages in a few years.
https://www.capoliticalreview.com/capoliticalnewsandviews/californias-electrical-grid-has-an-ev-problem/
‘Like adding one or two air conditioners’
Globally, the number of electric vehicles is expected to swell from 7 million to 400 million by 2040. The transition to zero-emission cars is estimated to add 2,000 TWh to annual energy demand by 2050 — a 40% increase — according to a study by global advisory group ICF.
Rajagopal’s team of researchers at Stanford developed a model framework to help utility companies around the world calculate charging patterns to better manage electricity demand. In California, it found that peak charging demand would more than double by 2030 if EV owners opted to charge in the evening at home.
“The use of an electric vehicle is like adding one or two air conditioners to your residence in terms of its energy increase,” Mike Jacobs, Senior Energy Analyst at Union of Concerned Scientists, told Yahoo Finance. “So when the local utility engineer looks at this, he thinks of that air conditioning in the afternoon and the electric vehicle coming home at the same time.”
Power transmission tower is silhouetted by the rising sun in Burlingame, California on October 26, 2019. (Photo by Yichuan Cao/NurPhoto via Getty Images)
Jacobs said the transition will mark a dramatic adjustment in behavior. Utility companies and service operators, who have long grown accustomed to “a predictable shape” and schedule in energy usage, will be forced to more actively manage the grid to avoid surges. Likewise, drivers will be forced to adapt to new charging times, with some being asked to plug in at work during the day, while others commit to set hours at night to ensure even distribution of energy capacity.
In Concord, Massachusetts, where Jacobs lives, his local utility has already asked that he set a timer on his electric vehicle so he is not charging until after 10 pm at night in exchange for a discounted rate. Technology that allows the grid and cars to communicate directly is likely to follow, he said.“

Ah yes because all gas stations were built before the first internal combustion engine rolled off the line at Ford, right?

You're "concerned" about something that's not even an issue and likely won't be either, why? Do you work for an oil company or an organization that profits from the extraction or refinement of oil? I mean when someone doubles/triples down on FUD I start asking about motivations. Do yourself a favor, move close to a hospital or something that's considered essential and you'll never have a blackout. Worked great when we lived in CA... (for the record, no we didn't specifically buy the house we bought because of this but when we found out about it after the fact it was a nice perk)

Jeff

#2517 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Again, people much smarter than you are already working on it. The solutions are many and varied and will be applied as necessary.

#2518 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

Again, people much smarter than you are already working on it. The solutions are many and varied and will be applied as necessary.

I love reading these well thought out answers to an ignored user’s (likely ridiculous) questions! Haha. I get to imagine the silliness in the original question and it makes me smile.

#2519 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I love reading these well thought out answers to an ignored user’s (likely ridiculous) questions! Haha. I get to imagine the silliness in the original question and it makes me smile.

Aren't you worried you're missing out on the greatest idea since sliced bread? No?? Me either

#2520 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

That’s a subjective and vague statement. But in the end you’re right.

#2521 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

LOL - I though I was the only one

#2522 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

That’s a subjective and vague statement. But in the end you’re right.

What's "subjective" about it?

#2523 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Ah yes because all gas stations were built before the first internal combustion engine rolled off the line at Ford, right?

Exactly.

#2524 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Let me guess: Windmills and extra batteries?

Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

LOL - I though I was the only one

#2525 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

I see what youre trying to say but its a major stretch, I would agree with this response if at the time of the first cars coming out people used gasoline for every item in their home. But the "hey we didnt think of doing it that way 130 years ago so why should we think this way now?" mentality seems to get approval so who am I to try and turn it around?

#2526 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I see what youre trying to say but its a major stretch, I would agree with this response if at the time of the first cars coming out people used gasoline for every item in their home. But the "hey we didnt think of doing it that way 130 years ago so why should we think this way now?" mentality seems to get approval so who am I to try and turn it around?

Actually it was a concern when they first came out.

“Gasoline engines were initially troublesome because they were smelly, noisy and often broke down. Also, gasoline was hard to find. That changed in 1901 when oil was discovered in Texas. There were still no gas stations, but a picture here from the early 20th century shows a home-heating-oil truck also delivering gasoline. Even though they had to carry gasoline cans when taking longer trips, drivers liked the unlimited range of cars propelled by a gasoline-powered, internal-combustion engine. “

https://americacomesalive.com/when-gasoline-powered-cars-were-first-used-where-did-they-get-gasoline/

#2527 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Were you using Level 2 or Level 3 superchargers?

#2528 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Were you using Level 2 or Level 3 superchargers?

With regard to EVs, Level 2 is AC overnight charging; Level 3 is any "fast" DC charger.

Any supercharger is "Level 3" though they do come in v2 (150kW) and v3 (250kW) variants. We used both on the trip.

Checking my charge tracker app:

24min 5sec in Abbott TX for +39%
19min 30sec in Austin for +31%
15min 37sec in New Braunfels for +19%

Return trip:
42min 49sec in Round Rock for +50%
37min 48sec in Abbott TX for +43%

#2529 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

With regard to EVs, Level 2 is AC overnight charging; Level 3 is any "fast" DC charger.
Any supercharger is "Level 3" though they do come in v2 (150kW) and v3 (250kW) variants. We used both on the trip.
Checking my charge tracker app:
24min 5sec in Abbott TX for +39%
19min 30sec in Austin for +31%
15min 37sec in New Braunfels for +19%
Return trip:
42min 49sec in Round Rock for +50%
37min 48sec in Abbott TX for +43%

Thanks for clarifying. I was referring to v2 or v3.

#2530 1 year ago

U.S. agency probes Tesla crashes that killed 2 motorcyclists
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tesla-crashes-killed-2-motorcyclists-autopilot-nhtsa/
OK Elon get off your high horse and add radar to to your auto pilot, your cameras can't see well enough in the dark.

other news

California DMV Considering Banning Tesla from selling cars in the state
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/california-dmv-considering-banning-tesla-from-selling-cars-in-the-state.275210/
Isn't California one of the biggest tezla markets ? that could really hurt the bottom line.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1135057_tesla-market-share-california-ev-global-deliveries
That amounted to a total of 121,080 new Teslas registered in California in 2021. Considering Tesla’s worldwide deliveries of about 308,000 vehicles in the fourth quarter of 2021 and about 936,000 vehicles for the full year, California posted 39,040 and 121,080 registrations in the state, respectively, for those two periods.
So for both periods, California remains roughly one-eighth of Tesla’s global market.

#2531 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/california-dmv-considering-banning-tesla-from-selling-cars-in-the-state.275210/
Isn't California one of the biggest tezla markets ? that could really hurt the bottom line.

Yeah, no. This is a fluff piece with the “oh my gosh this could be what happens!”

In reality CA just wants the false advertising fixed.

#2532 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tesla-crashes-killed-2-motorcyclists-autopilot-nhtsa/
OK Elon get off your high horse and add radar to to your auto pilot, your cameras can't see well enough in the dark.
other news
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1135057_tesla-market-share-california-ev-global-deliveries
That amounted to a total of 121,080 new Teslas registered in California in 2021. Considering Tesla’s worldwide deliveries of about 308,000 vehicles in the fourth quarter of 2021 and about 936,000 vehicles for the full year, California posted 39,040 and 121,080 registrations in the state, respectively, for those two periods.
So for both periods, California remains roughly one-eighth of Tesla’s global market.

“Since 2016, NHTSA has sent teams to 39 crashes in which automated driving systems are suspected of being in use, according to agency documents. Of those, 30 involved Teslas, including crashes that caused 19 deaths.”

Actually seems like really low numbers to me compared to the total number of crashes in a 6 year time span.

“There were 35,766 fatal motor vehicle crashes in the United States in 2020 in which 38,824 deaths occurred. ”

Also, Tesla is VERY clear that the driver should be supervising the automobile at all times. Either the driver was neglectful or the crash was unavoidable.

FUD

#2533 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

other news

Clickbait

I love it when sites create content and cite another real piece and totally distort it to make it clickbait.

From the actual LAtimes piece
“ A DMV spokesperson said Friday via email that if its action succeeds, “the DMV will ask that Tesla will be required to advertise to consumers and better educate Tesla drivers about the capabilities of its ‘Autopilot’ and ‘Full Self-Driving’ features, including cautionary warnings regarding the limitations of the features, and for other actions as appropriate given the violations.””

#2534 1 year ago

In other news Toyota is offering to buy back BZ4Xs because of a loose bolt in the wheel hub and GM is offering a few grand cash back on the Bolt if you give them legal immunity. This should instill confidence???

https://www.autoweek.com/news/industry-news/a40807209/toyota-willing-to-buy-back-recalled-bz4x-ev-models/

https://www.motortrend.com/news/chevy-bolt-ev-euv-rebate-gm-legal-immunity/

#2535 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

In other news Toyota is offering to buy back BZ4Xs because of a loose bolt in the wheel hub and GM is offering a few grand cash back on the Bolt if you give them legal immunity. This should instill confidence???
https://www.autoweek.com/news/industry-news/a40807209/toyota-willing-to-buy-back-recalled-bz4x-ev-models/
https://www.motortrend.com/news/chevy-bolt-ev-euv-rebate-gm-legal-immunity/

Sure looks like a move that builds confidence in buying toyotas… considering they give both remedies and even a full out…. Proactively.

#2536 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Sure looks like a move that builds confidence in buying toyotas… considering they give both remedies and even a full out…. Proactively.

Yeah, I guess so. Chevy not so much...

#2537 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

You're "concerned" about something that's not even an issue and likely won't be either, why? Do you work for an oil company or an organization that profits from the extraction or refinement of oil? I mean when someone doubles/triples down on FUD I start asking about motivations. Do yourself a favor, move close to a hospital or something that's considered essential and you'll never have a blackout. Worked great when we lived in CA... (for the record, no we didn't specifically buy the house we bought because of this but when we found out about it after the fact it was a nice perk)
Jeff

When cars were invented they didn't say in 10 years all new transportation must be cars.

#2538 1 year ago
IMG_0306.JPGIMG_0306.JPG
#2539 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

[quoted image]

Pretty sure this card has been filled several times over in just this thread.

Though you probably need a space for the “implausibly extreme use case requirements”, e.g. “I live in a cabin in the woods with no chargers within a hundred mile radius, and I have to drive 160 miles to work, up hill, in the snow, to a place with no chargers, and then I have to drive back, twice a day, every day! I need an EV that gets 700 miles minimum and it must charge up fully within 3 minutes otherwise it’s a non-starter. And since there’s no EV like that yet, obviously that means all EVs are trash and no-one should buy one,” or “twice a week I drive 800 miles non-stop to deliver meds to my ailing mother, never taking a bathroom break, and since an EV would add charging delays, I will get there too late and my mom will die! If you buy an EV, you’ve basically killed my mom!”

#2540 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

Pretty sure this card has been filled several times over in just this thread.
Though you probably need a space for the “implausibly extreme use case requirements”, e.g. “I live in a cabin in the woods with no chargers within a hundred mile radius, and I have to drive 160 miles to work, up hill, in the snow, to a place with no chargers, and then I have to drive back, twice a day, every day! I need an EV that gets 700 miles minimum and it must charge up fully within 3 minutes otherwise it’s a non-starter. And since there’s no EV like that yet, obviously that means all EVs are trash and no-one should buy one.”

My imagination is having a hard time imagining the situation.

#2541 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

My imagination is having a hard time imagining the situation.

Are you calling me a liar!?

#2542 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

Are you calling me a liar!?

No, I’m just too lazy to comprehend.

#2543 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

No, I’m just too lazy to comprehend.

Well it’s my totally real use case that I did not just make up, and it proves that EVs aren’t ready for the masses yet.

#2544 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

. And since there’s no EV like that yet, obviously that means all EVs are trash and no-one should buy one,”

I've yet to see anything like that. It's mostly stop telling everyone they need one or just get in one you'll magically find they fit your needs. We'll get one when they do what we need them to do.

#2545 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

I've yet to see anything like that. It's mostly stop telling everyone they need one or just get in one you'll magically find they fit your needs. We'll get one when they do what we need them to do.

I'm not interested in proselytizing. There are people that won't ever be good candidates for an EV and there's nothing wrong with that.

What I do want is for the lies and FUD about EVs to stop. I want more chargers in the world. I want more EV choice in the world.

Boomers on Facebook buy into every single EV lie and attach them to (literally) every single EV-related news story. It's annoying.

#2546 1 year ago

BINGO: THEY COST TOO MUCH

Bad news for Tesla fans: Cybertruck will be even more expensive than $40,000

https://interestingengineering.com/transportation/tesla-cybertruck-more-expensive-40000

So why doesn't the Billionaire E. Musk take a hundred million of his own money to to buy down the price?

* Initially, the pricing of the car was meant to start at $39,900.
* That price has increased as its production has been delayed.
* Musk blames inflation on the price hike.

#2547 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Boomers on Facebook buy into every single EV lie and attach them to (literally) every single EV-related news story. It's annoying.

Such an easy target low hanging fruit of a demographic to attack.
I’m 39 and deactivated Facebook in 2016. I bet you lump me into that group.
It’s so easy to label something that’s outside of what you want to hear as FUD or any other status quo buzz word.
The concern of creating millions of massive lithium batteries and what that will do to the environment on the back end, taxing the infrastructure, the obsession that one side of the country’s leadership has and pressing it on the people, the fact that vehicles cost about as much as a majority of the working class’s annual income that averages 53k, and the certainty of everything being ok is based on a siloed focus of how things are going right now with 3% of the population using it as some type of proof that there’s nothing to worry about, 100% warrants debate and questioning. But if anyone doesn’t just clap along like a circus seal and jump on the bandwagon with blind trust then ohhhhp must be a boomer on Facebook

#2549 1 year ago

What’s going to be interesting is everyone thinking that charging your car at home will remain on the current electric rate. Utility companies are going to want to separately track the electricity used to charge your car, that’ll require a separate meter from the utility regardless of the meter on the charger, which will be treated as a separate service that isn’t for the residence so that will allow the rate to be adjusted like commercial rates. When your house is 0.13-0.17 per kWh and your car charger goes on a separate line item on your electric bill that’s significantly higher book mark my post as a “called it”
Edit:
Actually it'll be the utility commissions that govern the electric companies that want that info tracked so it can be reported, more than likely for road tax purposes and a whole slew of other reasons.

#2550 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

What’s going to be interesting is everyone thinking that charging your car at home will remain on the current electric rate. Utility companies are going to want to separately track the electricity used to charge your car, that’ll require a separate meter from the utility regardless of the meter on the charger, which will be treated as a separate service that isn’t for the residence so that will allow the rate to be adjusted like commercial rates. When your house is 0.13-0.17 per kWh and your car charger goes on a separate line item on your electric bill that’s significantly higher book mark my post as a “called it”
Edit:
Actually it'll be the utility commissions that govern the electric companies that want that info tracked so it can be reported, more than likely for road tax purposes and a whole slew of other reasons.

That's a whole lot of projection on things that may or may not happen.

Remember, if the power companies turn out to be dicks as you suggest we'll simply go solar.

There are 10,079 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 202.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread/page/51 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.