• Neutral 95 votes
    19%
  • *I actually like EVs* 269 votes
    55%

(488 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 8.10.29?AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-17-22 Ford targets Tesla owners with $1 500 EV 'conquest' rebates (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-19-38 Family Own A Tesla Get $1 500 Off A Ford Mustang Mach-E Carscoops (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 11-54-36 Best Solar Generator for Home Backup Power EcoFlow US (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 09-48-53 EcoFlow DELTA Pro 2 × 220W Solar Panel DELTA Pro Extra Battery D - (Members-only) DELTA Pro 2
248edf2c-1a41-4790-a83f-64f0bd20ad95 (resized).png
f285d5d3-ceec-4b7f-a741-0770ba2431ef (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240409_134107.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
200w.gif
2023.10-volvo-ex30-barcelona-global-first-drive-event-KYLE-22-scaled-1-800x445 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240406_000711.jpg
Image 4-5-24 at 9.41?PM (resized).jpeg
There are 10,018 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 201.
#1601 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Those prices don't account for the tax you have to pay the local militia to get to the gas station and back.

Hey now, that's the price of freedum!

#1602 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Those prices don't account for the tax you have to pay the local militia to get to the gas station and back.

Or the quality of the highways. eg. Pa. has one of the highest gas taxes and the roads are the shittiest.

#1603 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Problem with electric cars is the wrong way the emissions are measured. You need to consider how much emissions is required to make a battery that is comparable to a car having a 400 mile trip.
We are nowhere near ready to make electric vehicles a primary mode of transportation.
MtnFrost if you actually spend 13 minutes watching this video PM me and I’ll send you $20 PayPal.

This guy's presentation is pretty flawed.

The premise of 'count production in too' is fine enough, but his comparison and justification is unsubstantiated.

1) He has zero citations for his co2 production estimates (for timing or bias)
2) you know he's playing loose with numbers when everything is a convenient linear line
3) you know he's fubbing numbers when somehow a hybrid, which has essentially a full car AND a reasonable sized battery is somehow the same co2 production footprint as a gas car?
4) If you want to include 'outside the box' co2 measuring, you can't count just manufacturing, but you should include distribution and production. A cost that will vary SIGNIFICANTLY depending on where you are.. so again, you can't have just pretty flat lines and nice y axis constants
5) His horse analogy and leading into the idea that there was a 'cycle' that didn't lead to 'adding' but the car swap did is disingenuous. The horse period worked not because of a closed loop, but because the co2 output was not outpacing the environment's ability to convert it... not because horses eat grass. The cycle logic fails because 'more horses lead to more co2 lead to more grass' is not what actually happens. The loop is false. Which is why his comparison to swapping to cars is flawed as well. There is no broken loop, because there was no loop prior. The issue is not a loop, the issue is about the output rate exceeding the absorption rate. The real 'cycle' his graphic would illustrate is the idea of output vs input... and guess what.. there is still input (grasses) in the car side of his story.. it's just not enough to offset the higher output.
6) He skews the line to 400m range without really quantifying that as the real need -- because hey, guess what, makes the charts work for me...

Hybrids are the worst of both worlds - in both production and usage.

If the guy was so hard-on about battery production being this unseen cost and it's the devil... why doesn't he advocate for fuel cells.. but instead he thinks hybrids are the 'out' worth mentioning? NAHHHHHH

#1604 1 year ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Or the quality of the highways. eg. Pa. has one of the highest gas taxes and the roads are the shittiest.

With all the gas tax those roads in the different states we live should soon be the smoothest that they have been since they were first built. Indy has had some bad ones where the news reports some unlucky drivers have gone multi flats. Just glad it wasn't me.

#1605 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

This guy's presentation is pretty flawed.
The premise of 'count production in too' is fine enough, but his comparison and justification is unsubstantiated.
1) He has zero citations for his co2 production estimates (for timing or bias)
2) you know he's playing loose with numbers when everything is a convenient linear line
3) you know he's fubbing numbers when somehow a hybrid, which has essentially a full car AND a reasonable sized battery is somehow the same co2 production footprint as a gas car?
4) If you want to include 'outside the box' co2 measuring, you can't count just manufacturing, but you should include distribution and production. A cost that will vary SIGNIFICANTLY depending on where you are.. so again, you can't have just pretty flat lines and nice y axis constants
5) His horse analogy and leading into the idea that there was a 'cycle' that didn't lead to 'adding' but the car swap did is disingenuous. The horse period worked not because of a closed loop, but because the co2 output was not outpacing the environment's ability to convert it... not because horses eat grass. The cycle logic fails because 'more horses lead to more co2 lead to more grass' is not what actually happens. The loop is false. Which is why his comparison to swapping to cars is flawed as well. There is no broken loop, because there was no loop prior. The issue is not a loop, the issue is about the output rate exceeding the absorption rate. The real 'cycle' his graphic would illustrate is the idea of output vs input... and guess what.. there is still input (grasses) in the car side of his story.. it's just not enough to offset the higher output.
6) He skews the line to 400m range without really quantifying that as the real need -- because hey, guess what, makes the charts work for me...
Hybrids are the worst of both worlds - in both production and usage.
If the guy was so hard-on about battery production being this unseen cost and it's the devil... why doesn't he advocate for fuel cells.. but instead he thinks hybrids are the 'out' worth mentioning? NAHHHHHH

Why are you wasting your time on a pinball forum, you should be doing TED Talks!

Based on what i know of TED Talks they vet all info that the presenters speak to so they arent making false claims or pushing misinformation. But i dont know for sure, pretty much anything i say ever is proven wrong by forum keyboard warriors, i should probably stop wasting the earths oxygen and vanish.

#1606 1 year ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

With all the gas tax those roads in the different states we live should soon be the smoothest that they have been since they were first built. Indy has had some bad ones where the news reports some unlucky drivers have gone multi flats. Just glad it wasn't me.

You have to remember, a lot of the gas tax money goes towards public transportation, just like bridge tolls.

#1607 1 year ago
Quoted from DarthPaul:

You have to remember, a lot of the gas tax money goes towards public transportation, just like bridge tolls.

I just looked it up. You wouldn't believe where it goes:

"Gas tax revenue and motor license fees bring in $4.5 billion, but only $2.7 billion goes to roads and bridges. The rest goes to Pennsylvania State Police, Driver & Vehicle Services and the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

"If you sum all those up, it's roughly about 40% of the gas tax is going to those other agencies or outside of the department, if you will," Batula said.

So why is that money being diverted?

"The answer to that is that's what's in the law," Batula said.

Bob Latham is with Associated Pennsylvania Constructors, which represents 400 companies that work in the state's road and bridge industry. He said gas tax money has been diverted for years.

"Four or five, at least, gubernatorial administrations and a number of Pennsylvania legislators started siphoning off money from the motor license fund to the state police back in the 1990s," he said. 

At one point in 2017, $800 million from the gas tax went to state police.

Latham said state police need the money but it shouldn't come from the gas tax." - Batula referenced here is PennDOT acting Executive Deputy Secretary.

#1608 1 year ago

There is another thing that will have to be fixed. Gax taxes, generally, fund the roads. With EVs and hybrids, those funds will drop.

#1609 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

There is another thing that will have to be fixed. Gax taxes, generally, fund the roads. With EVs and hybrids, those funds will drop.

Having worked for the state here and dealing with state money remember this one thing. The politicians will find a way to pull in those EVs. Hybrids use gas but not as much so I am not sure how they will do that. Just give it time.

#1610 1 year ago

Apparently, making safe, reliable batteries is hard....

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/ford-issues-stop-sale-mustang-mach-e-recall.html

#1611 1 year ago

Yeah, I'd fix that. No new tech doesn't come without teething problems, just as long as nobody is getting hurt while those bugs are ironed out.

#1612 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Yeah, I'd fix that. No new tech doesn't come without teething problems, just as long as nobody is getting hurt while those bugs are ironed out.

Ghost braking in a tezla has killed one driver already. It was posted here some time ago, with link to the news article.
Another issue reported was the passengers being trapped inside after power failure and battery fire.

#1613 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I agree. It's just that there seems to be a lot of it lately.

Quoted from bob_e:

Phantom braking in a tezla has killed one driver already. It was posted here some time ago, with link to the news article. Another issue reported was the passengers being trapped inside after power failure and battery fire.

Break the window? What is especially egregious with Tesla is the report that accidents where Autopilot was automatically turned off just prior to impact were not counted as Autopilot Related Accidents.

"The new data set stems from a federal order last summer requiring automakers to report crashes involving driver assistance to assess whether the technology presented safety risks. Tesla‘s vehicles have been found to shut off the advanced driver-assistance system, Autopilot, around one second before impact, according to the regulators.

The NHTSA order required manufacturers to disclose crashes where the software was in use within 30 seconds of the crash, in part to mitigate the concern that manufacturers would hide crashes by claiming the software wasn’t in use at the time of the impact."

#1614 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Ghost braking in a tezla has killed one driver already. It was posted here some time ago, with link to the news article.
Another issue reported was the passengers being trapped inside after power failure and battery fire.

Very sad, but compared with ICE deaths from various flaws over the years, not quite the same thing. Granted, ICEs have had a lot more time to develop problems.

#1615 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Very sad, but compared with ICE deaths from various flaws over the years, not quite the same thing. Granted, ICEs have had a lot more time to develop problems.

There are also a lot more internal combustion engine cares than EVs. The percentage of deaths may be lower than EVs that have developed their own problems in a shorter time.

#1616 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Yup. My wife had a certified pre owned 2015 Malibu that had a very dangerous issue that GM never recalled. On occasion and only on the highway at speeds over 70mph would the steering wheel seize up and make it extremely difficult to even turn it a bit. GM never issued a recall despite hundreds of customer complaints and multiple deaths from the issue.

#1618 1 year ago

Interesting! Key quote from the article: "The aircraft is fondly know as 'the flying bum.' "

#1619 1 year ago

I love it! The flying bums!

#1620 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I love it! The flying bums!

It's no worse than the roof on the new Toyota Supra though.

#1621 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Why are you wasting your time on a pinball forum, you should be doing TED Talks!
Based on what i know of TED Talks they vet all info that the presenters speak to so they arent making false claims or pushing misinformation.

These are TED talks - not actual scientific presentations. TED talks are about IDEAS and stimulating thought -- not peer reviewed publication. Their priority is to be engaging.

This isn't even a TED presentation at the annual conference - this is a TEDx presentation.. aka from an independent event that is affiliated and allows their content to be published with TED's license and principles.

So like many things.. vet the material, not just look at the header.

#1622 1 year ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Having worked for the state here and dealing with state money remember this one thing. The politicians will find a way to pull in those EVs. Hybrids use gas but not as much so I am not sure how they will do that. Just give it time.

The question really is only if they do 'usage' based taxes or value based... or both.

They could easily require taxes paid based on your milage (annual inspections - just like is already done for safety or emissions in many places) and they can levy more value taxes annually too.

You are correct - they will find a way to collect.. it's just a question of what path they take.

#1623 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The question really is only if they do 'usage' based taxes or value based... or both.
They could easily require taxes paid based on your milage (annual inspections - just like is already done for safety or emissions in many places) and they can levy more value taxes annually too.
You are correct - they will find a way to collect.. it's just a question of what path they take.

The trick is the gas tax is already regressive - it punishes the people who need to drive the most. Lower class, middle class. Whatever they find, I hope it's a little more evenly distributed.

#1624 1 year ago

Look what happened to this EV hater . . .
meme (resized).jpgmeme (resized).jpg

#1625 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Look what happened to this EV hater . . .
[quoted image]

Ok that's actually pretty funny

#1626 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Ok that's actually pretty funny

Happy to see we can all have a sense of humor about things, regardless of the side of the EV/ICE fence we are on.

Not actually the stereotype that comes to mind when I think of EV owners, but has to be a little truth to it.

#1627 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Happy to see we can all have a sense of humor about things, regardless of the side of the fence we are on.
Not actually the stereotype that comes to mind when I think of EV owners, but has to be a little truth to it.

50+ MPG in a Jeep 4XE should make an EV believer out of anybody...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tesla-cybertruck/page/19#post-6982301

#1628 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Happy to see we can all have a sense of humor about things, regardless of the side of the EV/ICE fence we are on.

Well, I don't have man bun or man purse, and I only charge at home overnight so I never have to charge for "an hour" out in the world...but it was still funny

#1629 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

The trick is the gas tax is already regressive - it punishes the people who need to drive the most. Lower class, middle class. Whatever they find, I hope it's a little more evenly distributed.

Any tax is regressive when you take the mindset that 'those that can't afford it but still have to pay it...' - sales tax.. anything.

#1630 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Any tax is regressive when you take the mindset that 'those that can't afford it but still have to pay it...' - sales tax.. anything.

Yes and no. Any tax that targets those who have less, more than those who have more, is regressive. The world's not perfect. For instance, taxing unearned income less than earned income is extremely regressive. It's dumb, but there it is. The mindset is balanced taxes, not the strawman you are making up. I think most people would agree?

#1631 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Yes and no. Any tax that targets those who have less, more than those who have more, is regressive.

A usage based tax is not 'targeting those who have less' - it by definition targets those who use the service.

Any tax that isn't scaled on income will ultimately get labeled 'regressive' by someone because $10 from a poor person is a higher burden than $10 from a rich person.

#1632 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

A usage based tax is not 'targeting those who have less' - it by definition targets those who use the service.
Any tax that isn't scaled on income will ultimately get labeled 'regressive' by someone because $10 from a poor person is a higher burden than $10 from a rich person.

I feel like I half agree with you here. But as to the first, a usage based tax for things that are necessities, like driving to work, is a bad idea. Defining a regressive tax - "they take a higher percentage of income on the poor than on high-income earners. Taxes on most consumer goods, sales, gas, and Social Security payroll are examples of regressive taxes." I'm referring to this kind of thing. Usage based taxes for things like yacht slipways, sure.

#1633 1 year ago

Price of a barrel of oil in 2014: 120.45
Today: 117.49

Gas was 2 dollars cheaper 2014

#1634 1 year ago

I was at Sam's Club today cars were lined up 5 deep in each line past the pump. The local price difference $.25 less than the name brands.

#1635 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

You have to also account for the cost of other things going up (cost to ship, cost for energy to produce gas from oil, wages).
Still feel like were being gouged though.

#1636 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Usage based taxes for things like yacht slipways, sure.

So just tax the "rich" cause its worked out so well in the past. Just do some research on yacht luxury taxes in the 80's

#1637 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

So just tax the "rich" cause its worked out so well in the past. Just do some research on yacht luxury taxes in the 80's

… not that the recession at the end of the 80z had anything to do with it…

Isn’t it funny how hotels can start charging resort fees that are often near 25% of the room rate and the hotel industry doesn’t collapse… yet a 10% luxury tax on completely unnecessary goods supposedly crushed the industry?

Maybe the lesson learned is don’t let people avoid taxes by going offshore…

#1638 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I was at Sam's Club today cars were lined up 5 deep in each line past the pump. The local price difference $.25 less than the name brands.

Can’t beat Sams and Costco for gas. Similar to what you said Costco is $.25 - $.30 less per gallon then elsewhere. I also use a Costco credit card which gets ya 4% back on gas.

#1639 1 year ago

So just tax the "rich" cause its worked out so well in the past.

From the 40s-70s, which many people still consider a golden age for the American worker in terms of wages and job security, income tax rates for top earners were astronomical by today’s standards. As in 70-90% for the very top tier. Given today’s global economy you couldn’t just snap those rates back into place. But the US seems to have muddled through OK with them for decades so I’m not convinced that approach to taxation is inherently catastrophic.

#1640 1 year ago

The highest tax rate during our most prosperous middle class, in the 50s-60s, was 91%. Yes it works out very well

#1641 1 year ago

We should definitely be taxing the rich way more, yes. Society has to decide if we want to foster inequality or let people conspire to chase infinite gains forever, all while directly influencing and guiding politics and law to ensure they can chase infinite gains forever.
There are way more things to care about than rich people worried they can't afford a boathouse at their third property. Unfortunately the rest of the world has to cower in fear of ther indignant rage over taxes because that's power we've handed them while begging for their scraps.

#1642 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Speculators!

This was I think 2008 just after the market crashed hard who bought up Ford stock as they didn't take any government help and bought it for $4-$5 I think and sold it a few days later and made a good chuck of change. Did it again a few days later and made another good chuck of it. I think if I can remember correctly he said it was like $20,000-$30,000. Buy he wasn't crazy enough to invest in oil.

#1643 1 year ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Speculators!
This was I think 2008 just after the market crashed hard who bought up Ford stock as they didn't take any government help and bought it for $4-$5 I think and sold it a few days later and made a good chuck of change. Did it again a few days later and made another good chuck of it. I think if I can remember correctly he said it was like $20,000-$30,000. Buy he wasn't crazy enough to invest in oil.

You have to work with the tax rules in your country to try and lower your taxable income. There isn't some magic out there just for the rich. I have seen rich people get hit hard too with their yearly tax returns. You have to create within the tax law deductions or other ways so yours will be lowered or maybe with some good CPA work even a negative amount.

#1644 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Ok well lets ask you then... name one single thing that can be done to affect gas prices from a legislative or executive position[quoted image]

Would reopening the Keystone Pipeline project help?

#1645 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

No - and both of the last two administrations found that to be true. You can look it up, but both found it wouldn’t help. It’s a myth that gets repeated

#1646 1 year ago

I just did a two day road trip from Texas to California.

Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 8.43.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-19 at 8.43.30 PM.png
#1647 1 year ago

HUGE MOPAR fan here, love my HEMI

A41B442E-D8AB-4CCB-8D62-A0F51BE6467A (resized).jpegA41B442E-D8AB-4CCB-8D62-A0F51BE6467A (resized).jpeg
#1648 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

It couldn't hurt! Instead, this admin. does nothing.

#1649 1 year ago
Quoted from poppapin:

It couldn't hurt! Instead, this admin. does nothing.

This is a falsehood that’s already been debunked here. The last two administrations both found it would make no difference. Remember that gas prices are a worldwide issue, and there isn’t much any admin in the US can do about it.

#1650 1 year ago

Until supply is increased to the point that the market stops panicking gas prices are going to remain high. Russia is obviously going to resist any efforts by members of OPEC to bump supply for the foreseeable future.

I really feel for people who have commutes and burn a chunk of gas on a day-to-day basis. I’m dreading filling the F150, but given that I’m doing it to go pick up my GZ Premium 4 hours away I’ll suck it up. Food for thought though - my wife hasn’t pumped gas in over 4 years since we got the Tesla, and with 26 panels on the roof of the house we don’t have much of an electricity bill (grid tied with net-metering). I totally understand when people argue that both of those things are a luxury that most can’t afford - it’s true, they are expensive, and we are very fortunate to be able to afford them. Just don’t give me that argument if you dropped 15k on TS4

There are 10,018 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread/page/33?hl=blue_agave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.