• *I actually like EVs* 269 votes
    55%

(489 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 7.44.38?AM (resized).png
IMG_5069 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 8.10.29?AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-17-22 Ford targets Tesla owners with $1 500 EV 'conquest' rebates (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-19-38 Family Own A Tesla Get $1 500 Off A Ford Mustang Mach-E Carscoops (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 11-54-36 Best Solar Generator for Home Backup Power EcoFlow US (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 09-48-53 EcoFlow DELTA Pro 2 × 220W Solar Panel DELTA Pro Extra Battery D - (Members-only) DELTA Pro 2
248edf2c-1a41-4790-a83f-64f0bd20ad95 (resized).png
f285d5d3-ceec-4b7f-a741-0770ba2431ef (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240409_134107.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
200w.gif
2023.10-volvo-ex30-barcelona-global-first-drive-event-KYLE-22-scaled-1-800x445 (resized).jpg
There are 10,025 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 201.
#1251 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

This got me thinking about how I spend my time at EV stations.
Gas stations have a few legs up on EV stations right now.
They are usually right off the highway, almost always have restrooms/snacks/drinks, and of course squeegees.
EV stations are usually off the beaten path. Some of them have no amenities at all - usually these are Electrify America stations at Wal-Mart.
Maybe there's a trash can in the parking lot where I can dump my empty starbucks cups, but that's about it.
I suppose I could go into the Wal-Mart for bathroom and snacks if I wanted to, but I don't.
Sometimes they are next to convenience stores, which is perfect for bathroom/snacks.
One time there was a Whataburger near an EA charger, the car was done before Susan got her food
In almost all cases I end up passing the time chatting with other EV users, which is fun.
The last time I used EA, this poor woman had just purchased a new Hyundai Ioniq 5 and they dumped it on her with only 2% charge.
They gave her no instruction, no training, and she had to figure out how to get charged to get from Denton to her home in Houston.
She was justifiably frazzled and upset.
My car was done charging so I pulled it aside and walked her through the process and hung around until she had 85% and a plan to get home.

Good job helping the ioniq owner.

Yes gas cars will fill up quicker. However in almost 3 years of ownership, I have needed to use a supercharger less than 10 times. Every other time it’s either charged up at my house or at a hotel over night. I will take that trade off to drive a super fast, excellent handling car. (Model 3 performance)

Cheers,

#1252 1 year ago

***5/14/2022 29.00 kWh: $0.00 NOTE: FREE Electrify America charger***

Are these always free ??

Buy a F-150 Lightning go to EA for a full charge. Return home and power your house for 3-7 days.

Return to EA for a full free charge, Return home and power your house for 3-7 days.

repeat repeat repeat repeat... never pay more than 20$ a month for electricity.

#1253 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

***5/14/2022 29.00 kWh: $0.00 NOTE: FREE Electrify America charger***
Are these always free ??

No - I get free charging for the first 3 years of car ownership. I understand other cars have similar deals.

Quoted from bob_e:

Buy a F-150 Lightning go to EA for a full charge. Return home and power your house for 3-7 days.
Return to EA for a full free charge, Return home and power your house for 3-7 days.
repeat repeat repeat repeat... never pay more than 20$ a month for electricity.

LIFEHACK!

#1254 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Do you think these people have a Squeegee in their garage ?

My car has a built in squeegee as it turns out. It even squirts out cleany-soapy stuff!!! Ice cars don’t have that yet?

#1255 1 year ago

bob_e I am really enjoying our discussion BTW. Thanks for the engagement.

I have two road trips planned for this summer:

Frisco TX<->Los Gatos CA
Frisco TX<->Nashville TN

I will document them thoroughly (every charging stop, miles in/out, problems if any, etc.) It will be on TaycanForum and I'll just link it here for those interested rather than spam this place up.

You might get to see me fall on my face with a bad charger, or run out of charge due to bad planning! It will be an adventure regardless which I sorely need after pandemic years holed up playing pinball.

#1256 1 year ago
Quoted from cliff_clavin:

Good job helping the ioniq owner.

I try to put more good into the world than bad. I do not always succeed, but I try.

If I can help a new EV person I'm happy to do so.
Also happy to share fixes/info about pins here when I can.

#1257 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

bob_e I am really enjoying our discussion BTW. Thanks for the engagement.
I have two road trips planned for this summer:
Frisco TX<->Los Gatos CA
Frisco TX<->Nashville TN
I will document them thoroughly (every charging stop, miles in/out, problems if any, etc.) It will be on TaycanForum and I'll just link it here for those interested rather than spam this place up.
You might get to see me fall on my face with a bad charger, or run out of charge due to bad planning! It will be an adventure regardless which I sorely need after pandemic years holed up playing pinball.

You should get the tezla app it will tell when and where to find chargers, so I am told. Not sure about Squeegee coverage tho.

#1258 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

My car has a built in squeegee as it turns out. It even squirts out cleany-soapy stuff!!! Ice cars don’t have that yet?

I thought tezlas had bug-proof glass no Squeegee required.

My 65 Falcon had a pedal for squirting out cleany stuff then two Squeegees would in synchronized union to dry the windscreen. When the pedal reached end of stroke the squeegees would activate automagicly. And when you were out parked and partying in said Falcon I would engage the squeegees, with the foot pedal and freak out my passengers.

#1259 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

You should get the tezla app it will tell when and where to find chargers, so I am told. Not sure about Squeegee coverage tho.

Tesla makes the whole experience seamless. In the “rest of the EV world” category, things are a little more complicated…

1. My car has a charging planner built in, and it will route you through chargers. Sometimes it routes you through slow ones though, or broken ones…it’s not fully trustworthy by itself.

2. www.abetterrouteplanner.com - I use this to plan the master route and optimize for EA chargers.

3. www.plugshare.com - I use this to get reviews on chargers, confirm they work well, confirm speed, location, amenities, etc.

I’m really not sure which approach is best. On my AR trip, I used ABRP to do an EA-only route…the charging stops were all short, but the overall route was hours longer at over 1000 miles.

For the return trip I just let the car do its thing and it actually worked out a ton better, like 3.5 hours shorter trip despite longer charging stops.

Either way it will be an adventure to experience the ups and downs of this early-adopter EV life.

Squeegee coverage - I should make an app!

#1260 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Tesla makes the whole experience seamless. In the “rest of the EV world” category, things are a little more complicated…

3. www.plugshare.com - I use this to get reviews on chargers, confirm they work well, confirm speed, location, amenities, etc.

Is that where it find a home owners with a charger, that is not at home and you get a free charge?

#1261 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Is that where it find a home owners with a charger, that is not at home and you get a free charge?

Ha! Nope…there are a very small number of people who make their home chargers available on there, but primarily it is to find commercial AC chargers (green) or fast DC chargers (orange.)

No orange ones are free, but some of the green ones are. Usually attached to hotels as such, so you can sleep there and charge overnight, ready to go in the AM.

#1262 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Now you're asking the real questions! I haven't seen anyone haul a pin in an EV yet - post pics folks if you do!
I expect either of the pickups would work:
Ford F150 Lightning $39974 - $95000
Rivian R1T $67500
It is possible some of the SUV's might work...Model Y/X, Volkswagen ID4, Hyundai Ioniq 5....but I cannot vouch for those.

Also Kia Niro EV and Hyundai Kona EV.

#1263 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Hehe, wow. Now you're *really* reaching deep for FUD talking points.
Susan's been plugging and unplugging her Tesla charger for 4 years. No issues.
Mine has been a year so far, also no issues. The connector is pretty robust and so is the cable.
The J-1772 connector is designed for longevity, ease of use, pluggability in the rain, etc. It's heavy duty plastic. I took you some photos.
*IF* it were to fail it's covered under the car's warranty. The entire setup plugs into a wall holder and the NEMA 14-50 wall outlet - can be replaced in seconds.

You got me curious so I checked the last bill (April, don't have May yet).
Customer charge $10.00
On-peak energy charge $48.70
Off-peak energy charge $161.56
Sales Tax $4.58
Municipal Franchise Fee $8.81
Operation Roundup (??) $0.91
TOTAL $234.56[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Screw the plug shots ... let's see some pictures of the car!

#1264 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Screw the plug shots ... let's see some pictures of the car!

IMG_0241.jpegIMG_0241.jpegIMG_0242.jpegIMG_0242.jpeg
#1265 1 year ago

EV haters, you should encourage EV adoption!

Why? When gasoline demand goes down, the price also drops!

So the more of us switch, the cheaper it is to enjoy your ICE cars.

#1266 1 year ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

my "refueling" time is around 6 seconds

I am going to start telling everyone my phone charge time 2 seconds. What other overnight appliances should I report only take seconds? dish washer, clothes dryer..

If I don't post again, assume they had me infirmed.

#1267 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I am going to start telling everyone my phone charge time 2 seconds. What other overnight appliances should I report only take seconds? dish washer, clothes dryer..

We're basically arguing semantics on this, but if it's not time taken away from me personally, it's not time I count.

So yeah, my phone takes 2 seconds from my life per day.

I am Type-A AF so I definitely care about where my time goes.

#1268 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I said nothing about charge time. My personal time expended on "refueling" is 6 seconds a day. That is all I'm saying.
My charge time is overnight. How long that actually takes makes no difference to me. I installed a 220V outlet so I could charge faster if I had to, but I don't really need it. The way I use the car, I could charge at 110V and my "tank" would be full every morning.

#1269 1 year ago

All these Kabuki semantics. Electric vehicles are the future, but those who love ICEs will still be able to drive those, too. Classic cars are still going to be around, and more and more cool, well-designed electrics are going to be on the roads. Meanwhile our charging infrastructure is growing, along with our renewable energy sources. Problems will have to be resolved, and will, just like the development of the ICE.

i borrowed a friend's very old Leaf that couldn't hold a long charge. I had to travel some distance, so I was concerned. Yet I found charging points everywhere. I was amazed, because I had never looked or noticed before. Now, this was So Cal, which is an early adapter on most things, so there's that. But it's cool to see the changes happening.

#1270 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

EV haters, you should encourage EV adoption!

Why? When gasoline demand goes down, the price also drops!

This is a line we can also use in regards to public transit. You love driving? Then you should definitely supports trains and buses! The costs of removing 100 commuting cars from the road through public infrastructure is far less than the cost of expanding and maintaining roads for those 100 cars. (per capita basis)
You work to build public transit infrastructure and that's less traffic I guess you can enjoy.

#1271 1 year ago
Quoted from cait001:

You work to build public transit infrastructure and that's less traffic I guess you can enjoy.

When everyone was in lockdown for the pandemic that was the greatest driving of my life. Wide open roads and NO cops!

#1272 1 year ago
Quoted from cait001:

Then you should definitely supports trains and buses!

I would, but in Los Angeles the buses take 4 hours to travel what you can drive in 1. The trains don't go where you need them to go, and for both options, the amount of homeless and other experiences are not worth it. The city was not built with mass transit in mind. Unlike DC, where the trains were awesome.

#1273 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I would, but in Los Angeles the buses take 4 hours to travel what you can drive in 1. The trains don't go where you need them to go, and for both options, the amount of homeless and other experiences are not worth it. The city was not built with mass transit in mind. Unlike DC, where the trains were awesome.

Actually, it was. there was a great street car system, the GM came in and convinced the city to go to buses and to ditch the street cars. (when my parents came to California in the late '40s my dad was a Yellow car street car operator)

#1274 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

The city was not built with mass transit in mind.

Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Actually, it was. there was a great street car system, the GM came in and convinced the city to go to buses and to ditch the street cars. (when my parents came to California in the late '40s my dad was a Yellow car street car operator)

Yeah, didn't you see Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

RR (resized).jpgRR (resized).jpg
#1275 1 year ago

Actually, it was one of these, not a Pacific Electric one.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1276 1 year ago

Actually, it was one of these, not a Pacific Electric one.
[quoted image]

I do know there used to be a red line back in the 40s. Didn't know about this one though.

#1277 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Yeah, didn't you see Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
[quoted image]

It seemed outlandishly villainous when we saw WFRR as a kid, but you grow up to discover that people actually DO hatch plots to destroy public infrastructure because they think they can make more money with it gone..

#1278 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I do know there used to be a red line back in the 40s. Didn't know about this one though.

Yeah, the Pacific Electric lines went from downtown L.A. to Hollywood, and the San Fernando Valley, to Pomona and San Bernadino, Southeast to my area, to Buena Park, Anaheim and Santa Ana, and to Long Beach, Santa Monica, Seal Beach, Huntington Beach and Newport Beach.
The Yellow trolleys mostly served the City of Los Angeles ant down to Hawthorn and north to Eagle Rock. The line my dad worked on was the one that went from eagle rock to Hawthorn.

#1279 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

The dude is a conman, nothing more. He's built his "empire" on the backs of the American taxpayer and his daddies slave labor in South Africa. Without the billions in tax payer money and the head start his dad gave him you wouldn't know his name. THAT'S the problem.
Also, I have done work at the Tesla Fremont factory and I can assure you EVERYONE is terrified of the guy and he's a complete and total asshole in person. Has no respect for the people around him, treats them in a derogatory fashion, and only wants to work with people who will do nothing but tell him he's right, he's perfect, and he never makes a mistake.
I don't care what he does in his personal life, none of that matters to me, but his professional life is built on a lie... That's a fact.
Jeff

I find it interesting that some people think Elon is being set up to be a powerful world leader in the future.His grandfather was an explorer and owned emerald mines.There is a myth about the holy grail being a single emerald from Lucifer’s crown???His mother was connected with the Manson family murders.
We shall see,we live in interesting times.

#1280 1 year ago
Quoted from Damen:

I find it interesting that some people think Elon is being set up to be a powerful world leader in the future.His grandfather was an explorer and owned emerald mines.There is a myth about the holy grail being a single emerald from Lucifer’s crown???His mother was connected with the Manson family murders.
We shall see,we live in interesting times.

Huh?

#1281 1 year ago
Quoted from Damen:

There is a myth about the holy grail being a single emerald from Lucifer’s crown???

There is? If it wasn’t covered by Indiana Jones or Monty Python then I question its legitimacy.

#1282 1 year ago

Since the Cybertruck has been delayed again, This might be a solution.

cybertruck (resized).jpgcybertruck (resized).jpg
#1283 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

[quoted image][quoted image]

That is a awesome looking car!

I know EV's save a lot of money from not buying gas, and a little bit of money from no oil changes, but what about the batteries?

I read somewhere that the batteries last an average of 10 years and cost around 10 grand to replace. Is that correct? (If so that would be a grand a year on battery depreciation, and I just looked at my records and seen that I spend less than that a year on gas and oil changes).

Hopefully it will be a very long time before I am needing to look at buying another car or truck, but I would consider an EV as charging stations become more available. I do like power companies a hell of a lot more than I like oil companies.

#1284 1 year ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

So it sounds like you have some kind of hatred of the Glass City?
Not me. I could eat a Tony Packos MOAD right about now!!

Love their Hungarian dogs, Chicken Paprikash and especially the hot roast beef sandwiches. Almost as good as Red Wells, which closed their last location almost seven years ago.....

#1285 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I know EV's save a lot of money from not buying gas, and a little bit of money from no oil changes, but what about the batteries?
I read somewhere that the batteries last an average of 10 years and cost around 10 grand to replace. Is that correct? (If so that would be a grand a year on battery depreciation, and I just looked at my records and seen that I spend less than that a year on gas and oil changes).

I’d worry more about miles than years on a battery.

The battery warranty on the Taycan is 8 years or 100K miles. Same for Susan’s Model 3.
On Susan’s Tesla, she has almost 100K on her battery already after 4 years and it’s performing fine.

In terms of what it costs though - that’s going to be wildly variable based on the type of car (which is also true for oil/service costs.)
Probably 10-15K for a Tesla, maybe 2-3x that for the Taycan.

Note however that the battery is unlikely to just fail 100%.
More likely is that it will lose some usable range over time, while still being completely functional.

I don’t plan to care, as my Taycan is gone as soon as electric Boxsters or 911s exist.

#1286 1 year ago

Also Kia Niro EV and Hyundai Kona EV.

My Niro EV is nowhere near large enough. It's just a smaller crossover

#1287 1 year ago

3 months ago: I hate EV's!
3 months later with gas above $5 a gallon: I love EV's

This thread didn't age well lol. The 2023 Chevy Bolt at the lower price looks rather tempting. Teslas are great but still far too expensive for the majority of the population.

#1288 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

3 months ago: I hate EV's!
3 months later with gas above $5 a gallon: I love EV's
This thread didn't age well lol. The 2023 Chevy Bolt at the lower price looks rather tempting. Teslas are great but still far too expensive for the majority of the population.

Be aware of it's limitations - it has pretty good range (which I didn't realize) but the fast DC charging SUCKS and is capped at 50kW.

More than once on my AR road trip I arrived at a charger, filled and left while a Bolt was there charging the whole time.

If road tripping is not a common use case though, it's probably terrific for getting around town with home charging.

#1289 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Be aware of it's limitations - it has pretty good range (which I didn't realize) but the fast DC charging SUCKS and is capped at 50kW.
More than once on my AR road trip I arrived at a charger, filled and left while a Bolt was there charging the whole time.
If road tripping is not a common use case though, it's probably terrific for getting around town with home charging.

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah it seems pretty nice. I would probably go with the 2023 Bolt EUV, didn't realize it's a mini crossover / SUV. I just extended a truck lease, Tacoma, which is month to month now for 6 months but was debating on buying a 2 year old low mileage RAM for around $35k. This Bolt EUV now has me reconsidering, especially with gas prices.

Screenshot 2022-06-06 102309 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-06-06 102309 (resized).jpg

#1290 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

When you're on EV, the car conforms to your life schedule and is always ready for a full day of fun.
When you're on ICE, you have to stop when the car decides it needs it, even if it's rainy/cold/windy or otherwise unpleasant to stand outside the car.

Oh, so they don't run out of charge when its cold or rainy? That's a game changer. Wait, ICE does not either. you can get gas tomorrow when its not raining and still go out tonight. Its still a 2 minute stop and a full range available.

#1291 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

We're basically arguing semantics on this, but if it's not time taken away from me personally, it's not time I count.
So yeah, my phone takes 2 seconds from my life per day.
I am Type-A AF so I definitely care about where my time goes.

The 2 minutes I'm at a pump aren't taken away from me either. I'm thinking about the next things I need to get done. So its just the few seconds of hose movement that count.

#1292 1 year ago

Hopefully it will be a very long time before I am needing to look at buying another car or truck, but I would consider an EV as charging stations become more available. I do like power companies a hell of a lot more than I like oil companies.

don't go bringing in inconvenient facts...

#1293 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

don't go bringing in inconvenient facts...

It's more than oil changes though, it's also ICE-related service events.

As a Porsche enthusiast that shit really adds up fast. Oil changes are $550, "major service" events every 10K which vary from $1000-$2500. (Plugs/belts, stuff like that.)

When my sales rep told me my first Taycan service visit was at 20K miles to flush the brake fluid and change the AC pollen filter, that was a big selling point for me.

#1294 1 year ago
Quoted from PinRat:

My Niro EV is nowhere near large enough. It's just a smaller crossover

Thanks for the response.

#1295 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah it seems pretty nice. I would probably go with the 2023 Bolt EUV, didn't realize it's a mini crossover / SUV. I just extended a truck lease, Tacoma, which is month to month now for 6 months but was debating on buying a 2 year old low mileage RAM for around $35k. This Bolt EUV now has me reconsidering, especially with gas prices.

This is tempting to think about. Are any of you EV owners living in an apartment? How does plugging in overnight work out? Have any of you used Plugshare? My daughter is moving to Austin and she needs a new vehicle. We were kinda leaning Maverick Hybrid or maybe RAV4 Hybrid, but the Bolt at this price point is compelling. There are Plugshare stations all over Austin for free charging as well.

#1296 1 year ago

There's always been the argument that for us to move past ICEs, gas has to be more expensive. Some here may know that we subsidize the oil companies - yes, the ones that least need our money. I wish it weren't expensive. I wish Russia hadn't invaded the Ukraine and driven up the prices far beyond what summer does. But maybe the end result is the silver lining. We build our infrastructure at the same rate we increase our EV purchases. I do think having the major car companies embracing electric tech is a good thing in the long run.

#1297 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

We build our infrastructure at the same rate we increase our EV purchases. I do think having the major car companies embracing electric tech is a good thing in the long run.

Agreed. Barrier to EV adoption is ubiquitous chargers. Barrier to chargers is EV adoption.

Tesla broke this impasse by just spending their own money on building out a charging network.

Things -are- improving in this regard though. Electrify America (which VW had to build out as part of their dieselgate penance) is a fast network with a decent footprint. And the infrastructure bill is supposed to add 150kW or faster chargers every 50 miles on interstates.

#1298 1 year ago

I read somewhere that the batteries last an average of 10 years and cost around 10 grand to replace. Is that correct? (If so that would be a grand a year on battery depreciation

I got a definitive answer on that for Tesla:

"The CEO stated that current Model 3 battery modules should last 300,000 to 500,000 miles, which is the equivalent of 1,500 cycles. After this, the battery modules could be replaced, and it will cost roughly $5,000 to $7,000."

So roughly 2x the life of an ICE engine at around the same replacement cost or perhaps a bit less.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-battery-module-replacements-elon-musk/

#1299 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I got a definitive answer on that for Tesla:
"The CEO stated that current Model 3 battery modules should last 300,000 to 500,000 miles, which is the equivalent of 1,500 cycles. After this, the battery modules could be replaced, and it will cost roughly $5,000 to $7,000."
So roughly 2x the life of an ICE engine at around the same replacement cost or perhaps a bit less.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-battery-module-replacements-elon-musk/

Given Tesla does not publish any of its prices, and Elon lies constantly about anything and everything, I'd take the cost estimate replacement with a giant grain of salt. We do now have original Model S's on the road that are 10 years old and still going strong so I think a giant mountain of a moll hill is being made over this issue anyhow...

Jeff

#1300 1 year ago

If you are worried about having to replace batteries you should have the same level of worry about replacing the ICE engine in your brand new car. In short, most EV batteries typically last as long or longer than an ICE engine. The old days of infant battery technology from 20 years ago are no longer a valid concern for the EVs of today.

There are 10,025 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread/page/26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.