ford-charge-station-pro-install-with-1-conduit-this-time-v0-e1kcy3p1c3za1.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Image 4-21-24 at 1.05?PM (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 13-53-01 Who Wants a Loud Car (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 18-12-04 reddit (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 8.32.26?AM (resized).png
used (resized).jpg
There are 10,077 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 202.
#901 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

You do know that "liberal" and "conservative" are not inherently political terms, right? I am using them within the context of thought pattern and not party affiliation. There are such things as conservative donkeys and liberal elephants.

that's why i mention the dictionary... which you're not using. but go ahead and make up your own definitions, i'm as much a descriptivist as the next person

#902 1 year ago
Quoted from misterschu:

that's why i mention the dictionary... which you're not using. but go ahead and make up your own definitions, i'm as much a descriptivist as the next person

Why are you being so obtuse? Just incase you are wondering, here is that that word means: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/obtuse

BTW, I would be happy to offer lessons on how to utilize dictionaries help you understand primary and secondary definitions of words. For obtuse, you will notice my usage is not the primary definition, rather, 2a.

#903 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Why are you being so obtuse? Just incase you are wondering, here is that that word means: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/obtuse
BTW, I would be happy to offer lessons on how to utilize dictionaries help you understand primary and secondary definitions of words. For obtuse, you will notice my usage is not the primary definition, rather, 2a.

We’ve got a liberal on our hands here, folks!

#904 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Wonderful, we can just point out which word we are using and how it is used. Here I am using the primary definition:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/snowflake

#905 1 year ago

Probably need to refer you to the words "literally" and "figuratively" then.

#906 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Because if he did he would need an extra long extension chord that has insulated plastic coating and connectors derived from fossil fuels.

the EGO brand 56V cordless charges in 100 minutes no word on discharge times....

Auto tensioning system: tightens the chain with the twist of a dial

18-inch Bar and Chain

11,000 RPM’s for efficient clean cuts

Brushless motor extends the life of the tool

Bright LED headlights: illuminate your work area

5.0 Ah ARC Lithium™ battery Included

56V Volt Charger charges in 100 minutes

5 Year Tool Warranty, 3 Year Battery Warranty

ego (resized).jpgego (resized).jpg
#907 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

the EGO brand 56V cordless charges in 100 minutes no word on discharge times....
Auto tensioning system: tightens the chain with the twist of a dial
18-inch Bar and Chain
11,000 RPM’s for efficient clean cuts
Brushless motor extends the life of the tool
Bright LED headlights: illuminate your work area
5.0 Ah ARC Lithium™ battery Included
56V Volt Charger charges in 100 minutes
5 Year Tool Warranty, 3 Year Battery Warranty
[quoted image]

Can't speak to their chainsaw, but I have an ECO blower that I like a lot. I have a corner lot with sidewalks, and after mowing I can run it on full blast long enough to blow everything I need to. I will say that I tried their highest end edger/trimmer and went through three of them in a month or so, and ended up returning to gas for that tool. The electric motor they used just couldn't handle the continuous operation it took to complete all of the sidewalk and curb edging I have without literally smoking and burning up the motor (although the battery handled the job just fine). I really wanted it to work for the convenience and noise benefits, but in the end it was the wrong tool for the job.

For a chainsaw it is probably like a car in that application will determine if it would be a good fit or not. I used to live in a house where one weekend out of the year or every two years, I went to town on trimming the trees with hours of continuous use. This would not have been possible with a cordless electric saw without serious disruption.

#908 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

This is what I'm talking about, most ev people immediately call anything not pro ev FUD. The not yet ev side knows what they need, ev isn't it-yet. But it's always "you just need to get in one and your life will magically change to something that anev is practical for". Whoever wants an ev can get one. Don't go pushing it on everyone else. No one is telling you to get a gas car.

bob_e tells us all the time to get gas cars. It honestly is working on me! I want to go back to gas…

Quoted from Dawson:

Why would anyone want to sell me a gas car ? The people that drive them don’t really like them ,it’s just what suits them. Where as EVs go,we fricken love them. It’s fine all don’t fit your needs , but for people to say that EVs are more polluting is just wrong , their are reviewed articles on this false hood.
And I don’t find it fun there are people who just don’t want to try stuff out.
It’s true as with the current infrastructure it’s impossible all the apartments and street Parker’s have no where to charge . And that will be the slow point became the government will get involved, and meeting for meetings will happen

Even I, lover of EVs, and originator of this ridiculous thread, downvoted this comment…

#909 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Can't speak to their chainsaw, but I have an ECO blower that I like a lot. I have a corner lot with sidewalks, and after mowing I can run it on full blast long enough to blow everything I need to. I will say that I tried their highest end edger/trimmer and went through three of them in a month or so, and ended up returning to gas for that tool. The electric motor they used just couldn't handle the continuous operation it took to complete all of the sidewalk and curb edging I have without literally smoking and burning up the motor (although the battery handled the job just fine). I really wanted it to work for the convenience and noise benefits, but in the end it was the wrong tool for the job.
For a chainsaw it is probably like a car in that application will determine if it would be a good fit or not. I used to live in a house where one weekend out of the year or every two years, I went to town on trimming the trees with hours of continuous use. This would not have been possible with a cordless electric saw without serious disruption.

I love my eco trimmer. Works very well and no issues. Recently bought a eco blower and pretty happy with it as well. Only complaint is they are kinda expensive but advantage is not having to deal with gas or mixing fuel. Not so happy with eco chainsaw. Okay for light duty but nothing too serious. Wish I bought a gas one.

#910 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Throw it in the garbage in a couple of years, when you can't get a battery for it anymore.

#911 1 year ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Throw it in the garbage in a couple of years, when you can't get a battery for it anymore.

This can be a real issue with battery-powered tools. I've still got my 11 year old B&D blower and edger set humming along with cheap replacement off-brand batteries I ordered through Amazon or maybe AliExpress. And I'd bet China will continue to make replacements batteries for most tools that sold decently well, though you may have to sniff around to find them. But if I had a bigger yard I'd want either gas or corded-electric for the run time since the blower tears through batteries. I've got a corded-electric mower that I've been happy with, though it also wouldn't be practical on a multi-acre property.

#912 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

This statement is exactly why there are so many people that hate EVs, specifically the people that drive them. It is sheer arrogance, dumb as hell, and just flat out wrong.

THIS! (resized).jpgTHIS! (resized).jpg

#913 1 year ago
Quoted from Pickle:

This!!! Hydrogen has so much potential. It’s just a matter of making it safe so we are not driving little bombs in an accident. And if we can sustain a fusion reaction that would greatly eliminate our need for fossil fuels for power generation.
Also solar is probably the biggest area we have yet to exploit. If we can figure out how to efficiently convert solar energy it truly is a viable option.

I'm a little late to this thread but my grandfather worked with a team and made a Hydrogen powered El Camino in the 60's. He worked at Air Products in Allentown, PA as a chemical engineer. My had has the carburetor from the car that they made into a lamp and presented to my grandfather when he retired.

Pretty cool stuff.

Chris

#914 1 year ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Come on now! Don't we all repair pinball machines? This is nothing. You pop the battery open and replace the cells. Easy peasy!

#915 1 year ago

New Zealand and Australia are two different places, NZ has no outback, we have a South Island. I grew up in Michigan so I am well aware of legacy auto and the love for ICE.

I drive a 1996 Toyota Previa diesel for towing the boat to Ragland. (300km) I hate that car now, before driving electric you couldn’t peel me away from the love I had for it . But it stinks it’s slow it’s dirty and expensive (what’s not to love) .I will be scraping when an e alternative happens. I might drive it once every couple months .

I’m not trying to push any agenda or take away any rights to drive what ever you want . I just think it’s narrow that people just flat out refuse to try EVs . Whatever boomers

The chainsaw is BE as with all my tools and it ate that pile of jacaranda on a single charge . We charge the saw with the car, its quiet and don’t stink, The 046 and the top handle just sit in the shed . Can you imagine throwing that battery away into the air after every use . ?

BB485134-84F7-4CCD-8C75-DB7F87A43E5A (resized).jpegBB485134-84F7-4CCD-8C75-DB7F87A43E5A (resized).jpeg
#916 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Even I, lover of EVs, and originator of this ridiculous thread, downvoted this comment…

The way I see it, current EV users are early adopters and enthusiastic about their experience.
Can that be annoying to others? Absolutely.

It's like when TiVo first came out and owners wouldn't shut up about it to all of their friends

#917 1 year ago

Not that anyone cares, but here's been my experience with my Tesla Model 3 Long Range so far:

First off, my use case was that, normally, I drive like maybe 30 miles or so a day when I do need to drive. However, occasionally, I would need to drive 350+ miles to visit family in nearby Iowa. And I didn't really "need" the performance version, so I got the LR. There's a supercharger station exactly half way along the trip, so a stop for about 30 minutes along the route next to a grocery store allows for bathroom breaks, pick up some snacks and any groceries (liquor?) I'd like to pickup for my stay with family. Or watch an episode of Seinfeld while I wait.

On my trips back to Iowa, which, if anyone didn't know, is a very "pickup truck" centric state, I get lots of questions from the locals. I even got approached once while I was sitting at a super charger. I get approached so often now that I've almost gotten it down to a science. The question that bugs me most is "How long does it take to charge?". Like anything, how long it takes to fill something depends on how empty it is. Honestly, I rarely let me vehicle get very empty so it's hard to say, but I've spent 45 minutes at a super charger before, but that's getting it to 100% full, which is not normally required. If people don't know, it takes almost as much time to charge the last 20% as it does the first 80%, in my experience.

Obviously, anything over 5 minutes is probably going to sound rough to ICE owners, as, let's admit, they're used to the instant gratification that gasoline provides. However, when they bring that up, I state something they might not realize; I *never* have to make that 5 minute stop if I maintain a proper charge using my home charging infrastructure, which is 99% of my daily driving around town use case. If people can manage their cell phone charging, they can manage an electric car.

However, I am typically respond with "EVs are not for everyone" when they ask about my Tesla. I mean, everyone's use case is different. I'm not going to convince you to buy an EV if I don't know what works for you; that's on you to make that decision. So, when they ask questions about maintenance, cost, etc, I don't try to sugar coat anything, just give the facts.

However, when it comes to the "Do you like your car?" question, then I can inject my opinion. Yes, I love it! So much fun to drive! The instant torque is insane! The entertainment center is entertaining, the audio system is top notch. But the stuff that I really love is the stuff I didn't even know about the car when I purchased it. Like regenerative breaking...I think I drove back from Iowa once without ever using the brake! One pedal driving is so satisfying. The "hold" feature at stops is cool (no need to sit there with your foot on the break pedal). And the autopilot comes in handy (for all the wrong reasons). Not to mention all the cool things you can do with your car from the app...like, never carry a key or fob for your car again (your cellphone is your "FOB"), preheating/cooling the car before I get up from a table at a restaurant, scheduling my car to be ready and warm at a certain time, in a closed garage. Even the goofy easter eggs that Tesla software has keeps me entertained.

At the time I bought it, I also owned a Chevy Traverse. I was letting my 16 year old daughter drive it. Unfortunately, about 6 month later, she was hit from behind at a stop light, totaling the car. With used car prices being crazy, we shopped around quite a bit. At a KIA dealer ship, they actually had a car within the budget, but it was...an EV! At the time, I didn't even know KIA made EVs, but it was a little KIA Soul EV. It only had a range of about 110 miles, but that was fine for my daughter's use case, as she only needed it for school and sports activities. And it's much more like a "normal car" (vs the jarring differences of a Telsa Model 3). She's been driving it for almost a year now with no problems. And now that gas prices have spiked, I feel that this, too, was a good decision. I haven't tried to fit a pin in the Kia Soul yet, so, that might be the one drawback .

Sadly, I will say that driving around my local area, where there are quite a few Teslas around, occasionally I get some "odd behavior" from ICE drivers. Usually pickups or other sports cars. With trucks, usually some form of "rolling coal" or else very close tail-gating so their lights come right through the back window. With ICE sports cars, usually an attempt to show their cars are faster off the line at stop lights. I never try to antagonize or play into any of it. I just let them go by. I don't have anything to prove; I've made my decision and I'm happy with it.

#918 1 year ago
Quoted from mjenison:

Not that anyone cares, but here's been my experience with my Tesla Model 3 Long Range so far:
First off, my use case was that, normally, I drive like maybe 30 miles or so a day when I do need to drive. However, occasionally, I would need to drive 350+ miles to visit family in nearby Iowa. And I didn't really "need" the performance version, so I got the LR. There's a supercharger station exactly half way along the trip, so a stop for about 30 minutes along the route next to a grocery store allows for bathroom breaks, pick up some snacks and any groceries (liquor?) I'd like to pickup for my stay with family. Or watch an episode of Seinfeld while I wait.
On my trips back to Iowa, which, if anyone didn't know, is a very "pickup truck" centric state, I get lots of questions from the locals. I even got approached once while I was sitting at a super charger. I get approached so often now that I've almost gotten it down to a science. The question that bugs me most is "How long does it take to charge?". Like anything, how long it takes to fill something depends on how empty it is. Honestly, I rarely let me vehicle get very empty so it's hard to say, but I've spent 45 minutes at a super charger before, but that's getting it to 100% full, which is not normally required. If people don't know, it takes almost as much time to charge the last 20% as it does the first 80%, in my experience.
Obviously, anything over 5 minutes is probably going to sound rough to ICE owners, as, let's admit, they're used to the instant gratification that gasoline provides. However, when they bring that up, I state something they might not realize; I *never* have to make that 5 minute stop if I maintain a proper charge using my home charging infrastructure, which is 99% of my daily driving around town use case. If people can manage their cell phone charging, they can manage an electric car.
However, I am typically respond with "EVs are not for everyone" when they ask about my Tesla. I mean, everyone's use case is different. I'm not going to convince you to buy an EV if I don't know what works for you; that's on you to make that decision. So, when they ask questions about maintenance, cost, etc, I don't try to sugar coat anything, just give the facts.
However, when it comes to the "Do you like your car?" question, then I can inject my opinion. Yes, I love it! So much fun to drive! The instant torque is insane! The entertainment center is entertaining, the audio system is top notch. But the stuff that I really love is the stuff I didn't even know about the car when I purchased it. Like regenerative breaking...I think I drove back from Iowa once without ever using the brake! One pedal driving is so satisfying. The "hold" feature at stops is cool (no need to sit there with your foot on the break pedal). And the autopilot comes in handy (for all the wrong reasons). Not to mention all the cool things you can do with your car from the app...like, never carry a key or fob for your car again (your cellphone is your "FOB"), preheating/cooling the car before I get up from a table at a restaurant, scheduling my car to be ready and warm at a certain time, in a closed garage. Even the goofy easter eggs that Tesla software has keeps me entertained.
At the time I bought it, I also owned a Chevy Traverse. I was letting my 16 year old daughter drive it. Unfortunately, about 6 month later, she was hit from behind at a stop light, totaling the car. With used car prices being crazy, we shopped around quite a bit. At a KIA dealer ship, they actually had a car within the budget, but it was...an EV! At the time, I didn't even know KIA made EVs, but it was a little KIA Soul EV. It only had a range of about 110 miles, but that was

There are several KIA EV (Soul EV, Niro EV, K6) models, and the Soul EV has been around for about six years. And KIA has improved the range of the Soul EV since it came out (First year model only had a range of 74 miles) As far as fitting a pin in a Soul there is a picture a few years back (2016 I believe) of a soul with a pin in it and the hatch closed.

Now only if KIA would ditch that horrid new "KN" Logo...

#919 1 year ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

There are several KIA EV (Soul EV, Niro EV, K6) models, and the Soul EV has been around for about six years. And KIA has improved the range of the Soul EV since it came out (First year model only had a range of 74 miles) As far as fitting a pin in a Soul there is a picture a few years back (2016 I believe) of a soul with a pin in it and the hatch closed.
Now only if KIA would ditch that horrid new "KN" Logo...

I’m glad I’m not the only one that thought it said KN!

#920 1 year ago
Quoted from mjenison:

The entertainment center is entertaining.

Glad it lives up to its title.

#921 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I’m glad I’m not the only one that thought it said KN!

Looks like either knock off of K&N or nine inch nails. It's terrible.

#922 1 year ago

Looks like either knock off of K&N or nine inch nails. It's terrible.

Lot of people on twitter making the NIN comparison.

#923 1 year ago

Most of the hate seems to stem from the pro-ev crowd telling the not yet-ev crowd that EVs are perfect for everyone now.

Yeah the Green New Deal baby!

Go woke or go broke!?

Actually with that plan everyone will be broke anyway including woke Lol

#924 1 year ago
twittr (resized).jpgtwittr (resized).jpg
#925 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I'm a little late to this thread but my grandfather worked with a team and made a Hydrogen powered El Camino in the 60's. He worked at Air Products in Allentown, PA as a chemical engineer. My had has the carburetor from the car that they made into a lamp and presented to my grandfather when he retired.
Pretty cool stuff.
Chris

A vehicle that is burning Hydrogen like you're describing is still an Internal Combustion engine and not necessarily clean (but probably cleaner).
Just pulling air in through a carburetor to burn hydrogen also brings in nitrogen and can generate nitrogen dioxide, an air pollution component.
Much of the talk about hydrogen here has been about hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.

#926 1 year ago

note to self: don't insult Elon or the moderators

insult (resized).jpginsult (resized).jpg
#927 1 year ago
Quoted from mjenison:

At the time I bought it, I also owned a Chevy Traverse. I was letting my 16 year old daughter drive it. Unfortunately, about 6 month later, she was hit from behind at a stop light, totaling the car. With used car prices being crazy, we shopped around quite a bit. At a KIA dealer ship, they actually had a car within the budget, but it was...an EV! At the time, I didn't even know KIA made EVs, but it was a little KIA Soul EV. It only had a range of about 110 miles, but that was fine for my daughter's use case, as she only needed it for school and sports activities. And it's much more like a "normal car" (vs the jarring differences of a Telsa Model 3). She's been driving it for almost a year now with no problems. And now that gas prices have spiked, I feel that this, too, was a good decision. I haven't tried to fit a pin in the Kia Soul yet, so, that might be the one drawback .
Sadly, I will say that driving around my local area, where there are quite a few Teslas around, occasionally I get some "odd behavior" from ICE drivers. Usually pickups or other sports cars. With trucks, usually some form of "rolling coal" or else very close tail-gating so their lights come right through the back window. With ICE sports cars, usually an attempt to show their cars are faster off the line at stop lights. I never try to antagonize or play into any of it. I just let them go by. I don't have anything to prove; I've made my decision and I'm happy with it.

Thanks for sharing- I have a similar story. We really like Honda minivans (have owned 4, three at once) and I had a Porsche 911 turbo for 7 years. The vans are really useful, especially in this hobby. Unfortunately they only last about 12-15 years and require frequent maintenance. My Porsche was a pure fair weather car, impractical, and admittedly dangerous. Sunday morning drives with an ex fighter pilot buddy often resulted in double speed limit runs. Yes, very exhilarating. We were judicious on choosing our unpopulated routes. The acceleration after a brief turbo lag was the wizard mode.

Three years ago I sold the Porsche and I ordered and received a first generation Tesla Model Y. I needed a more practical car, but craved acceleration and sportiness. No car dealer, no haggling…basically saw my car in a parking lot, went up to the desk, and showed my ID. “Have any questions?” “No” “Let’s get your car on your phone app and you are good to go”.

I was going to get the performance version, but it was too fast-a nauseating gut punch with every instant acceleration. The LR version had the 911 acceleration, but a s**t ton more room (than the Porsche) and handled well in all weather.

I consider myself a car guy- read all of the magazines and have owned trucks, vans, sedans, etc. The Model Y is easily my best ownership experience. Most reliable and easy (almost no) maintenance car ever.

Two years ago our daughter totaled our 2005 Honda Odyssey (220k miles). We replaced it with a used 2017 Chevy Bolt. No garage fires- the battery pack was recalled and replaced 2 months ago. The Bolt is also fabulous-daughter loves it and it has a 200 mile range. Long range travel is limited unlike the Tesla.

Meanwhile, our last minivan, 2019 Honda Odyssey, is awaiting a body control module which is on nationwide back order (yeah I tried to find one myself). I’ve already put in 2 batteries in that van-also several recalls. We bought the van because of its size and supposed reliability. If and when we ever get it back it will need new brakes and an oil change (hmmm-don’t have those issues with my other cars). So currently I have no pinball table transportation. By the way- the Honda has a lot of space and can hold 2 machines. However the middle seats are heavy, a pain to remove, and when removed a large bulging plastic base is left to leave a big challenge for sliding in your game.

After EV ownership, I will not buy another ICE vehicle…hopefully our van will last long enough for us to replace it with an EV van.

So the EV wave is inevitable and it is not a big deal. I remember holding out on a smart phone…

Imagine that EV vehicles were the main stream. Someone invented a car that would require you to travel to get your fuel, required more maintenance, had poor acceleration, had poor efficiency, directly polluted the air, and had complex huge engines with multiple moving parts. They would name their company Deep Root and make a boat load of $ on the fumes of a great investment.

#928 1 year ago
Quoted from GranpaDave:

Thanks for sharing- I have a similar story. We really like Honda minivans (have owned 4, three at once) and I had a Porsche 911 turbo for 7 years. The vans are really useful, especially in this hobby. Unfortunately they only last about 12-15 years and require frequent maintenance. My Porsche was a pure fair weather car, impractical, and admittedly dangerous. Sunday morning drives with an ex fighter pilot buddy often resulted in double speed limit runs. Yes, very exhilarating. We were judicious on choosing our unpopulated routes. The acceleration after a brief turbo lag was the wizard mode.
Three years ago I sold the Porsche and I ordered and received a first generation Tesla Model Y. I needed a more practical car, but craved acceleration and sportiness. No car dealer, no haggling…basically saw my car in a parking lot, went up to the desk, and showed my ID. “Have any questions?” “No” “Let’s get your car on your phone app and you are good to go”.
I was going to get the performance version, but it was too fast-a nauseating gut punch with every instant acceleration. The LR version had the 911 acceleration, but a s**t ton more room (than the Porsche) and handled well in all weather.
I consider myself a car guy- read all of the magazines and have owned trucks, vans, sedans, etc. The Model Y is easily my best ownership experience. Most reliable and easy (almost no) maintenance car ever.
Two years ago our daughter totaled our 2005 Honda Odyssey (220k miles). We replaced it with a used 2017 Chevy Bolt. No garage fires- the battery pack was recalled and replaced 2 months ago. The Bolt is also fabulous-daughter loves it and it has a 200 mile range. Long range travel is limited unlike the Tesla.
Meanwhile, our last minivan, 2019 Honda Odyssey, is awaiting a body control module which is on nationwide back order (yeah I tried to find one myself). I’ve already put in 2 batteries in that van-also several recalls. We bought the van because of its size and supposed reliability. If and when we ever get it back it will need new brakes and an oil change (hmmm-don’t have those issues with my other cars). So currently I have no pinball table transportation. By the way- the Honda has a lot of space and can hold 2 machines. However the middle seats are heavy, a pain to remove, and when removed a large bulging plastic base is left to leave a big challenge for sliding in your game.
After EV ownership, I will not buy another ICE vehicle…hopefully our van will last long enough for us to replace it with an EV van.
So the EV wave is inevitable and it is not a big deal. I remember holding out on a smart phone…
Imagine that EV vehicles were the main stream. Someone invented a car that would require you to travel to get your fuel, required more maintenance, had poor acceleration, had poor efficiency, directly polluted the air, and had complex huge engines with multiple moving parts. They would name their company Deep Root and make a boat load of $ on the fumes of a great investment.

I keep hearing bad thing regarding current state of Honda reliability. We are going to keep our '12 Ody going as long as possible. I'm not look forward to replacing because it's going to be a tough battle to get my wife in a Toyota.

#929 1 year ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

A vehicle that is burning Hydrogen like you're describing is still an Internal Combustion engine and not necessarily clean (but probably cleaner).
Just pulling air in through a carburetor to burn hydrogen also brings in nitrogen and can generate nitrogen dioxide, an air pollution component.
Much of the talk about hydrogen here has been about hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.

OK girloveswaffles we will all be driving these cars so no more pollution just foot calluses!

flintmobile-3-1200 (resized).jpgflintmobile-3-1200 (resized).jpg
#930 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I keep hearing bad thing regarding current state of Honda reliability. We are going to keep our '12 Ody going as long as possible. I'm not look forward to replacing because it's going to be a tough battle to get my wife in a Toyota.

??

Get in a Toyota and all your problems will be solved and life will be good. My last 4 cars were Toyotas and I still have 3 of them. I think maybe I had to pay for a repair 2 times for all 4 cars. My daily driver is a 2004 Camry with 145,000 miles that I bought new. It has never needed a repair. It runs like a top and is in excellent condition all the way around. I will drive it until it dies. For a car the amortization of the total cost of operation over the years drops to miniscule amounts when you keep it that long, assuming that it remains reliable.

The number of those old-gen Camry's around here is insane, I literally see them by the dozens every time I go out. Some are just regular beaters but lots are practically like-new ones that look better than mine. It's what the cheap people drive who view cars as something to get a job done comfortably for the least amount of money possible. They are boring, but I pretty much love the boringness of not having to constantly pay for car repairs, such as I experienced when in a major dumbass move I bought 2 brand new Chevrolets. But that's another story.

I was big on Hondas way back, like in the 80s. Had various Civics and Accords. Those were awesome and reliable cars. But I think they lost their way somehow with reliability.

left side 1 plate LAST4VR (resized).jpgleft side 1 plate LAST4VR (resized).jpg

https://www.theonion.com/toyota-recalls-1993-camry-due-to-fact-that-owners-reall-1819577805

#931 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

There's no free lunch here, except for maybe nuclear fusion but... Yeah... Not there yet. Maybe in our lifetimes, they seem to be rather close. THAT is the free lunch, a limitless power source that produces really no byproduct of waste... Then electric cars are a slam dunk no brainer thing.
Jeff

Vehicles aside, we are not close to practical fusion at all as they report the plasma efficiency and not the actual net output efficiency which is far less! As stated millions of times, "it's still 30 years off". Same thing they said when I did a speech on it in college back in 85. We literally need several miracles yet to achieve it! Also, read this...
https://thebulletin.org/2017/04/fusion-reactors-not-what-theyre-cracked-up-to-be/
Some highlights...
- Tritium fuel cannot be fully replenished.
- Huge parasitic power consumption.
- Radiation damage and radioactive waste.
- Nuclear weapons proliferation.
- Additional disadvantages shared with fission reactors.

#932 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

??
Get in a Toyota and all your problems will be solved and life will be good. My last 4 cars were Toyotas and I still have 3 of them.

Ugh. That would be hell on earth to me.

Camrys are for people who hate cars, and driving.

#933 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I think many Camry drivers, like myself, like cars and driving as much as anyone. We're just cheap bastards is all. But over the years yes the Camry got that reputation, and was constantly being bashed as boring to look at and boring to drive. Sadly this drove Toyota nuts and caused them to create the modern redesigns, making the latest gen Camry even worse with the horrible busybody gape-mouthed body design, its hideous to look at. They felt that they had to do it, never mind that they were already selling more of them that any other car.

Like the EV debate, the whole thing with cars has so many permutations depending on what people like. I crack up when I traverse by neighborhood, the driveways are filled with a variety of Ram trucks, Silverados, F150s, and occasional Tundras. All them have big tires and wheels. Most are black, and they are always as shiny as can be. They have never seen a hint of a path off the road. The beds are pristine and spotless, because why would you put stuff into your truck bed and possibly scratch it?

Also lots of late model Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers, these are great for going fast. And of course, BMWs all over, and lots of Mercedes (usually sedans). Of course, there are various Escalades and Tahoe/Suburban types. A variety of rice rockets, Acuras, Nissans, or whatever.

And, lots and lots of Teslas. There's pretty much several on every street these days.

And scattered throughout, there are the Camrys. There are a few 3rd gens and a fair number of 4th gens, as well as the 5th gens like mine. And tons of newer models. Cheap bastards!

#934 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Vehicles aside, we are not close to practical fusion at all as they report the plasma efficiency and not the actual net output efficiency which is far less! As stated millions of times, "it's still 30 years off". Same thing they said when I did a speech on it in college back in 85. We literally need several miracles yet to achieve it! Also, read this...
https://thebulletin.org/2017/04/fusion-reactors-not-what-theyre-cracked-up-to-be/
Some highlights...
- Tritium fuel cannot be fully replenished.
- Huge parasitic power consumption.
- Radiation damage and radioactive waste.
- Nuclear weapons proliferation.
- Additional disadvantages shared with fission reactors.

People keep letting their attention be steered in the bad direction. That list is only relevant regarding old hat thinking and technology.

Thorium is a relatively common element. LFT Reactors have been around for decades now, but big money systems keep burying it just like anything else that is truly efficient and clean (can't make much ongoing money).

The most ludicrous stupidity of the current nuclear power system is the use of solid fuels. LFTR uses liquid principle and requires no pressurised water or containment vessel, and also can reduce (extract) old hat radioactive "waste" (+90% of the energy) to virtually nothing. All the answers have been around for a long time, just that the globalists money and broad contamination agenda is geared to stop it.

Don't take my word for it, assess for yourself.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/1qlRntHhhHDU/

Put it another way. If people want to pretend it isn't real... the chinese are already building them, while the west keeps it's head in the sand, everyone can just buy them from over there in a few years time rather than produce them independently, I guess. :3

#935 1 year ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

People keep letting their attention be steered in the bad direction. That list is only relevant regarding old hat thinking and technology.
Thorium is a relatively common element. LFT Reactors have been around for decades now, but big money systems keep burying it just like anything else that is truly efficient and clean (can't make much ongoing money).
The most ludicrous stupidity of the current nuclear power system is the use of solid fuels. LFTR uses liquid principle and requires no pressurised water or containment vessel, and also can reduce (extract) old hat radioactive "waste" (+90% of the energy) to virtually nothing. All the answers have been around for a long time, just that the globalists money and broad contamination agenda is geared to stop it.
Put it another way. If people want to pretend it isn't real... the chinese are already building them, while the west keeps it's head in the sand, everyone can just buy them from over there in a few years time rather than produce them independently, I guess. :3

Nice...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/mar/09/bitchute-website-continue-hosting-blocked-rt-channel

Screenshot 2022-05-05 210430 (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-05-05 210430 (resized).png
#936 1 year ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

You nailed it my friend!!
It's a shame so few people understand this! And Thorium reactors are a fascinating technology that needs more R&D!! It could even solve our energy problem for good. How many people even know what it is? You can blame the fossil fuel cartel!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium-based_nuclear_power

#937 1 year ago

Funny in some ways watching salt flow over peoples untennable belief in "lame stream" brainfog narrative concocted BS Pmsl

Discernment, logic, and critical thinking. Not for everyone, obviously. So it's sad to watch in some ways too. :3

More to go. Much much more.

#938 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

You nailed it my friend!!
It's a shame so few people understand this! And Thorium reactors are a fascinating technology that needs more R&D!! It could even solve our energy problem for good. How many people even know what it is? You can blame the fossil fuel cartel!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium-based_nuclear_power

https://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2344-5-ugly-realities-wikipedia-i-learned-as-admin.html

Wikidpaedia is shockingly biased, and ethically corrupt. Unless you ask wikidpaedia, or a ministry of truth fakt checker, obviously. :-

#939 1 year ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Funny in some ways watching salt flow over peoples untennable belief in "lame stream" brainfog narrative concocted BS Pmsl

Is this now a Beat Poetry thread? Very stream of consciousness, man.

#940 1 year ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Wikidpaedia is shockingly biased, and ethically corrupt. Unless you ask wikidpaedia, or a ministry of truth fakt checker, obviously. :-

Do you think Elon will buy it like Twitter?

#941 1 year ago

#942 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Is this now a Beat Poetry thread? Very stream of consciousness, man.

I’m a better person for having read it.

#943 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Do you think Elon will buy it like Twitter?

Might be better if he bought this place. Needs it Lol

#944 1 year ago

With Natural Gas who needs electric ???

gas (resized).jpggas (resized).jpg
#945 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

[quoted image]

Does the lighter come with it?

#946 1 year ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Does the lighter come with it?

Electronic pilotless ignition

#947 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

[quoted image]

Fuel would be much more abundant if it ran on Hot Air

#948 1 year ago

I believe it works on the same principle as this...

screen-shot-2010-10-20-at-8-30-07-pm (resized).pngscreen-shot-2010-10-20-at-8-30-07-pm (resized).png
#949 1 year ago

For what it’s worth, on the battery recycling front:

https://apple.news/AMWwGB7cpRaO_cr4LwByEAw

#950 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

EV cars sound a lot like that to me - for people that don't like driving. I mean, the push is for the cars to literally drive themselves. That's just about the last thing I want. Maybe when I get older I will want a beige ev to drive me around. Just sounds depressing saying that.

There are 10,077 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 202.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread/page/19?hl=mr_outlane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.