3%
  • Neutral 95 votes
    19%
  • *I actually like EVs* 269 votes
    55%

(489 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 16-44-36 EV vs. Gas Which Cars Are Cheaper to Own (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 7.44.38?AM (resized).png
IMG_5069 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 8.10.29?AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-17-22 Ford targets Tesla owners with $1 500 EV 'conquest' rebates (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-19-38 Family Own A Tesla Get $1 500 Off A Ford Mustang Mach-E Carscoops (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 11-54-36 Best Solar Generator for Home Backup Power EcoFlow US (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 09-48-53 EcoFlow DELTA Pro 2 × 220W Solar Panel DELTA Pro Extra Battery D - (Members-only) DELTA Pro 2
248edf2c-1a41-4790-a83f-64f0bd20ad95 (resized).png
f285d5d3-ceec-4b7f-a741-0770ba2431ef (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240409_134107.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
200w.gif
There are 10,026 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 201.
#651 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

The weird part is the tezla had two price increases in two days and that is acceptable...

Who is deeming it acceptable?
I mean, you can bitch and moan but that's worthless. I don't know if it's acceptable but these are the times we are in.
tezla has always been fluid on their prices and other car mfgs have had to follow suit in the last 12 months raising their prices mid-year

#652 2 years ago

we've had 2 years of a global pandemic devastating supply chains and now we're inching towards WW3 with one of the world's major oil + mineral suppliers, so I don't have much patience for people fretting about inflation as if it's some kind of nefarious decision made by CEOs and heads of state.

#653 2 years ago

LetsGoBrandonElectric (resized).jpgLetsGoBrandonElectric (resized).jpg

Same story here locally though really

#654 2 years ago

Love my model s and model y. Definitely will buy again. Have about 90k miles between the two. Charge both at work for free. I wish Tesla sold drivetrains to third party builders like porsche though. Would solve the quality control issues. Parts availability is poor also. Waiting 3 months now for a fender after a minor accident. I’ll never give up my corvette with manual transmission for track duty though.

69D48684-7D57-49CC-923D-E8DE256F02DC (resized).jpeg69D48684-7D57-49CC-923D-E8DE256F02DC (resized).jpeg
#655 2 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

we've had 2 years of a global pandemic devastating supply chains and now we're inching towards WW3 with one of the world's major oil + mineral suppliers, so I don't have much patience for people fretting about inflation as if it's some kind of nefarious decision made by CEOs and heads of state.

On the Keystone XL pipeline ... this is aging well!?

#656 2 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

I have no idea what you're talking about and I am not concerning myself with it.

#657 2 years ago

Well, people not caring is a part of the problem too, really.

Do you care about fuel/goods prices? ... or maybe not?

Yes, caring is hard work. Especially with all the tidal wave of bulls#it we are subjected to. It's much simpler when it makes sense. But I can get why people feel like they couldn't be bothered. I couldn't, for a bit too long maybe.

If we knew, we may well have been more bothered?. Paying attention. Don't know what we don't know. Until we know.

#658 2 years ago

Even with gas prices as high as they are at the moment, I have zero interest in a EV.

However I am curious, how much does the EV run up the electric bill at your house?

I already get tired of coming home and having to remember to charge my phone.

If I also had to take time to remember to charge the EV that is even a few more minutes that I can not relax and drink some beer.

If on a road trip, I can fill up with gas in the amount of time it takes me to walk into the restroom at the gas station.

If on a road trip, how long does it take to charge the EV?

When I am on a road trip, I see signs at almost every exit for gas stations.

So far I have not seen any signs on the road for a charging station.

How much does it cost anyway to use a charging station?

As technology gets better, and more charging stations are built, and they are as common as gas stations, I may take another look, because I would love to not be making any of those OPEC people any richer myself.

I am open to a EV someday, but I want to really know all the costs first, so I can see if there are really any savings to be had.

I for one can not get behind EV's as a way to save the planet. Just one volcano eruption pretty much does more pollution than anything that we do from what I have read.

So far the only thing that I have heard from people that owns a EV is how cool they are, and I want a whole lot more information, and to see signs along the interstates for charging stations as common as gas stations, and be able to figure out if any savings at all on price, and my time at a station.

#659 2 years ago

My next car will hopefully be an EV and I want it for what is is, no crusade against the CO2 and pollution. I would love to fill up my tank every night in my garage and not have to bother with waiting in lines at Sam's Club. Not having to make a mess with oil changes is also a nice prospect. Plus, I would live to have the performance. I have an Odyssey for long distance travel.

With that said, Tesla is the last manufacturer I would consider. The rent is too high, build quality is too low, and I don't like how they make it really hard for people to work on their own cars. Too bad because I like they are American, but they seem to be more Wall Street than Detroit.

#660 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Even with gas prices as high as they are at the moment, I have zero interest in a EV.
However I am curious, how much does the EV run up the electric bill at your house?
If I also had to take time to remember to charge the EV that is even a few more minutes that I can not relax and drink some beer.
If on a road trip, I can fill up with gas in the amount of time it takes me to walk into the restroom at the gas station.
As technology gets better, and more charging stations are built, and they are as common as gas stations, I may take another look, because I would love to not be making any of those OPEC people any richer myself.
I am open to a EV someday, but I want to really know all the costs first, so I can see if there are really any savings to be had.
I for one can not get behind EV's as a way to save the planet. Just one volcano eruption pretty much does more pollution than anything that we do from what I have read.
So far the only thing that I have heard from people that owns a EV is how cool they are, and I want a whole lot more information, and to see signs along the interstates for charging stations as common as gas stations, and be able to figure out if any savings at all on price, and my time at a station.

A lot of your questions are answered with a quick google search. But I get about 300 miles on an overnight charge (220v) and that adds about ten dollars to my electric bill. I drive a Tesla so I’ve never had to “look for a gas station” as the app does all the planning when I drive long distance. Charging stations are virtually everywhere there’s electricity. But specific ev charging stations are at a lot of businesses. Keep your eye out. You’ll start to see them everywhere (depending on where you live). I’m also unsure of the climate benefits, but I hate the idea of making Russia and opec richer too. And before everyone jumps on the old “your electricity is just made from oil anyway” tropes, I live in Idaho where most of our energy is hydroelectric (dams), and I have a little solar on my roof.

I do think that on long distance driving, the charge times are the worst part of EV ownership, maybe a dealbreaker if this is your primary car use case (like bob_e). If I’m in a hurry, adding an hour of charging on a 6 hour drive kills it for me (even if it cuts the cost of the trip from $100 to $20). I use my Toyota Highlander for long distance. I’m an impatient man. But for everyday driving, charging at home is as simple as stepping out of your car.

Quoted from RyanStl:

My next car will hopefully be an EV and I want it for what is is, no crusade against the CO2 and pollution. I would love to fill up my tank every night in my garage and not have to bother with waiting in lines at Sam's Club. Not having to make a mess with oil changes is also a nice prospect. Plus, I would live to have the performance. I have an Odyssey for long distance travel.
With that said, Tesla is the last manufacturer I would consider. The rent is too high, build quality is too low, and I don't like how they make it really hard for people to work on their own cars. Too bad because I like they are American, but they seem to be more Wall Street than Detroit.

Give Tesla another look in terms of build quality. I’ve owned a few and have never been disappointed. They are definitely Wall Street, but it’s American jobs in the end. And nobody does ev better. For SO many reasons that people rarely understand unless you’re a Tesla owner. Charging network, full featured phone app, autopilot (generally awesome with some glitches-commence the arguing…), over the air updates and added features (it’s like Christmas), etc.

#661 2 years ago

https://evannex.com/blogs/news/debunking-3-myths-about-electric-vehicle-batteries-and-charging

Some of the cost are further down the road...
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35203450/tesla-model-3-battery-capacity-loss-warranty/

All of my ICE vehicles have not lost any capacity since new.
Range can vary depending on traffic conditions and how heavy my foot is that day.

Fridays trip to Toledo and back I got 36.8 mpg. 156 miles 93% was highway on cruise control.
Gas $4.20 a gallon. about $.114/per mile
My last electric bill was $.19 per KWH Model 3 4.1 miles/KWH or about $.046 per mile

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1119556_tesla-model-3-range-efficiency-edge-is-a-serious-market-strength (for range per KWH)

#662 2 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Can’t wait for November, I just love that Macy’s Thanksgiving parade!

#663 2 years ago

A Corvette C8R won the 12 hours of Sebring, no mention of a tezla finishing, I guess they couldn't go the distance.

#664 2 years ago

It isn't EV's that are the problem per se. It is where they get and store their power that makes no sense. Ditch the mass storage thing.

The missing pieces will hopefully be revealed sometime soon.

Also the inherent efficiency capabilities of water/steam?... and "lighter than air" travel?. Both suppressed.

Both of these also suspiciously sunk with the Titanic and Hindenburg. Both interestingly called "ships" as well. What about electric boats and aircraft?

Oil oligarchy and banks killing cheap air travel and persons of interest:
https://www.bitchute.com/video/RnwZXhMCDwwL/

Oil oligarchy and banks killing cheap or even free power, and persons of interest:
https://www.bitchute.com/video/jWbFAY6d91WR/

Now we have promotion for volatile chemical pollution in lithium batteries and all their new complex contamination, source, and toxicity problems. For no good reason.

It is control, deceptively packaged as convenience and "common goodness" as well, like many other dodgy things.

#665 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

... no mention of a tezla finishing, I guess they couldn't go the distance.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#666 2 years ago
Quoted from cconway84:

Love my model s and model y. Definitely will buy again. Have about 90k miles between the two. Charge both at work for free. I wish Tesla sold drivetrains to third party builders like porsche though. Would solve the quality control issues. Parts availability is poor also. Waiting 3 months now for a fender after a minor accident. I’ll never give up my corvette with manual transmission for track duty though.
[quoted image]

Can't the body shop fix the fender? it doesn't look that bad. I bought new fenders and quarter panels for my 72 Malibu convertible in 1985, in lees than a week fora 13 year old car. These came from a Chevrolet dealership, or shall I say in musketeer lingo "stealership". Seems like Elon wnats to sell cars but not take care of them.

Selling power trains motors and or batteries to other manufacturers will not help tezla with their quality issues. They need top engineering staff that understand manufacturing & assembly using tools like SPC and Six Sigma.

#667 2 years ago

#668 2 years ago

People, the brand is TESLA (named after Nikola Tesla) NOT “t-e-z-l-a”. Don’t know if so many are accidentally misspelling, or if that is somehow a dig at the brand. Either way, and whether you are pro or con when it comes to EV’s, can you at least make an effort to spell the brand correctly?

I think I’ll go back to reading more Pinzide threads now.

#669 2 years ago

Not that it changes the spelling, but Elon Musk seems to pronounce it with the “z” sound in interviews.

#670 2 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Not that it changes the spelling, but Elon Musk seems to pronounce it with the “z” sound in interviews.

YES! that it... Hooked on phonics !!!

#671 2 years ago
just. (resized).jpgjust. (resized).jpg
#672 2 years ago

Brand-New Tesla Model S Jumps 50 Feet Into the Air

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/brand-new-tesla-model-s-jumps-50-feet-into-the-air-everybody-s-speechless-184385.html

Sponsored by REDBULL ??? #getyourwiiings

jump (resized).jpgjump (resized).jpgjump2 (resized).jpgjump2 (resized).jpgjump3 (resized).jpgjump3 (resized).jpg
#673 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/brand-new-tesla-model-s-jumps-50-feet-into-the-air-everybody-s-speechless-184385.html
Sponsored by REDBULL ??? #getyourwiiings[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

from a video I saw on Facebook the driver and 3 passengers fled the scene. the S hit 2 parked cars and several trash bins. Alex Choi posted the video on Facebook. Said the car was totaled found the radiator and cooling fan.

#useautopilot to stick the landing

#674 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Sponsored by REDBULL ??? #getyourwiiings[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from bob_e:

from a video I saw on Facebook the driver and 3 passengers fled the scene. the S hit 2 parked cars and several trash bins. Alex Choi posted the video on Facebook. Said the car was totaled found the radiator and cooling fan.

Oh goody, stupid people can drive like idiots in a $50K EV!

#675 2 years ago

The main concern I have with EVs and high technology gasoline powered vehicles is the slow move toward not owning your vehicle. Eventually the technology will get to the point where we have to subscribe to several services just to be able to drive the car we bought, if it doesn’t end up going as far as having to subscribe to being able to use the car itself. It might seem far off, but it’s probably closer than we think - EVs help contribute to this progression because they can start with a fresh ‘platform’ and don’t have to follow the existing models we are used to for purchasing, driving, refueling, and maintenance.

So 20 years from now you’ll be paying $500 a month for some ‘car as a service’ which only lets you listen to music if you pay for Spotify premium, and won’t let you charge it anywhere except designated energy providers which you also need an account with (and likely another monthly fee), and you can’t even start it without logging into your Facebook account, and the uplink is always on tracking your every move and putting ads for hamburgers up on the heads up display as you drive by McDonald’s.

Start thinking about the implications there and it’s a pretty gnarly rabbit hole (battery and software upgrade fees/subscriptions, the DMV remotely disabling your vehicle for being late paying for your sticker, insurance spying on how fast you’re driving or what areas you drive in and raising your rates, etc.).

I’m going to keep buying the low tech gas guzzlers to try and push that out to 30 years.

#676 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

I think that one [Model S] cost at least $100K. Maybe it had the FSF (Full Self Flying) option.

Elon said don't rule out a battery powered airplane someday. Can you imagine how many could have been killed by the idiot driving that Tesla?

I wonder if Tesla's own insurance company will cover the liability and replacement cost of the totalled car. Fortunately, the battery pack didn't catch fire and take out property.....

#677 2 years ago

There are several videos with different angles of this event on Facebook. Of course most pinsiders will say they don't have Facebook etc. So, just go to YouTube and search "Flying Tesla" for most of them. Fox11 LA has a nice story and combined some of the videos.

#678 2 years ago

Owning both ev’s and naturally aspirated gasoline cars… ev is a great commuter option, but nothing is as satisfying as driving some muscle. Ev’s power dies off around 50-60mph while that is where a naturally aspirated engine blossoms.

#679 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I think that one [Model S] cost at least $100K. Maybe it had the FSF (Full Self Flying) option.
Elon said don't rule out a battery powered airplane someday. Can you imagine how many could have been killed by the idiot driving that Tesla?
I wonder if Tesla's own insurance company will cover the liability and replacement cost of the totalled car. Fortunately, the battery pack didn't catch fire and take out property.....

The point is that there a jerks out there driving like this in ALL types of cars. I've nearly have been hit by some idiots on the freeways including Tesla drivers, but not them exclusively.

And as far as the insurance, that should be on the driver, not Tesla. The driver should be responsible, but for driving like that not the manufacturer.
But if and when the catch the driver, insurance may be the least of his or her problems!

#680 2 years ago

Lucky that nobody pulled out of their driveway just then.

I'm surprised that homeowners weren't out there calling the police after the crash. Seemed like he went back there later and nobody was around. (I rewatched and the car was gone and just junk and car parts left, maybe the driver towed if off quickly to avoid getting busted?)

#681 2 years ago

#682 2 years ago
Quoted from vikeking27:

The main concern I have with EVs and high technology gasoline powered vehicles is the slow move toward not owning your vehicle. Eventually the technology will get to the point where we have to subscribe to several services just to be able to drive the car we bought, if it doesn’t end up going as far as having to subscribe to being able to use the car itself. It might seem far off, but it’s probably closer than we think - EVs help contribute to this progression because they can start with a fresh ‘platform’ and don’t have to follow the existing models we are used to for purchasing, driving, refueling, and maintenance.
So 20 years from now you’ll be paying $500 a month for some ‘car as a service’ which only lets you listen to music if you pay for Spotify premium, and won’t let you charge it anywhere except designated energy providers which you also need an account with (and likely another monthly fee), and you can’t even start it without logging into your Facebook account, and the uplink is always on tracking your every move and putting ads for hamburgers up on the heads up display as you drive by McDonald’s.
Start thinking about the implications there and it’s a pretty gnarly rabbit hole (battery and software upgrade fees/subscriptions, the DMV remotely disabling your vehicle for being late paying for your sticker, insurance spying on how fast you’re driving or what areas you drive in and raising your rates, etc.).
I’m going to keep buying the low tech gas guzzlers to try and push that out to 30 years.

Sorry, it's not just EV's - that can be applied to all cars
https://www.thedrive.com/tech/43636/toyota-reviewing-key-fob-remote-start-subscription-plan-after-massive-blowback

#683 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Just the energy calculation that shows how big a battery would be to power an airplane makes it not possible any time soon. The Tesla Model 3 battery is 60 kWh, and you get 220 miles on the normal vehicle. A Tesla 3 weighs roughly 4000 pounds. Now look at a small plane. That can weigh up to 12000 pounds. And has a range of roughly 1000 miles. All things being equal, the battery size would have to be able to move something 3 times the weight, for 5 times the distance. So you would need a 900 kWh battery, and that doesn't include the weight of the battery or the size of the battery. How long would it take to charge that battery? And that small plane might hold 4 people at max? Imagine the smallest commercial puddle jumper, that holds 40 people. Again all things being equal, you would need a 9000 kWh battery. And this doesn't even take into consideration increasing average speed. Electric planes will just not work.

#684 2 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Sorry for the phonetics lesson, but here it comes . . .

- When "s" follows a voiceless consonant (does not require vocal chords to pronounce) it is pronounced as "ess" (e.g. hats, tops, works, laughs, etc.)
- When "s" follows a vowel, another "s" or a voiced consonant it is pronounced as "zzz" (e.g. logs, beds, clothes, was, Tesla) - In the case of Tesla, the "s" follows a vowel.

So, the word is spelled "Tesla" but is properly pronounced "Tezla" (albeit, you will hear it pronounced as "Tesla" by some). In the end, I think I'd probably give someone a break and not correct them when the word is pronounced as it is spelled, but seeing it spelled incorrectly just bugs me.

Lesson is over, Pin(z)iders.

#685 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Sorry for the phonetics lesson, but here it comes . . .

A low point in any thread.

#686 2 years ago
Quoted from unclerudy:

Electric planes will just not work.

ok .... but .....
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200617-the-largest-electric-plane-ever-to-fly
it's a start. but battery tech does need to evolve .. and I have no doubts it will

#687 2 years ago

If you actually read the article, and what it was saying, it was inferring that electric planes are not realistic.

"The first thing to note is that long-haul flights by large aircraft are not going to become fully electric any time soon. Certainly not within the next 50 years – and the jury’s out as to whether that will even happen this century. The reason is energy density."

"To keep its current range, the plane would need batteries weighing 30 times more than its current fuel intake, meaning it would never get off the ground – Duncan Walker"

"Engineers are currently trying to build a 180-seat fully electric jet that can fly for around 500km. The budget airline EasyJet has partnered with the aviation start-up Wright Electric to design and develop such a prototype plane that, if successful, could enter commercial service as early as 2030. Its travel routes would be limited – Paris to London for instance, not much further"

"Flying fully electric 180-seater aircraft commercially by 2030 is “very ambitious”, says Robert Thomson, a partner at Roland Berger. The more sober view is that by 2030 we will more likely see hybrid electric aircraft being rolled out. In these planes, propulsion is provided by batteries and electric motors alongside traditional combustion systems. “A 50-seater aircraft would become viable as a hybrid, maybe 2030, late 2020s – I think that’s the sort of timescale which is plausible,” says Thomson."

"One of the most closely-watched hybrid aircraft experiments of recent years was the E-Fan X, a joint project between Airbus, Siemens and Rolls-Royce. The concept for the plane featured a 100-seat BAE 146 aircraft that was to be modified so that one of its four engines would be powered by a 2 megawatt motor – that’s enough juice to power roughly 2,000 homes. The plan was to perform a test flight with the aircraft this year but the project was suddenly canned in April."

“You kind of go, ‘Ah, actually, this is going to be a lot more challenging than we thought’,”

None of those things that I quoted are positive, and give no realistic development of actual electric planes. And saying that we need to start somewhere doesn't mean that there is a realistic finish to what you want.

#688 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Is Alex Choi the guy that destroyed a Porsche CGT by hitting parked cars in NYC?

Edit: Not him. Choi is a YouTuber that covers car content.

#689 2 years ago

The S model starts at $94,490 S-plaid $130,490 Then add: $12,000 for autopilot $4,500 for optional wheels
the guy in the video said it was the S model did not say if it was the plaid.
LAPD confirmed it was a rental, did the renter buy the collision insurance rider ???

by the looks of it the autopilot does not do well on landings

#690 2 years ago
Quoted from unclerudy:

If you actually read the article, and what it was saying, it was inferring that electric planes are not realistic.
"The first thing to note is that long-haul flights by large aircraft are not going to become fully electric any time soon. Certainly not within the next 50 years – and the jury’s out as to whether that will even happen this century. The reason is energy density."
"To keep its current range, the plane would need batteries weighing 30 times more than its current fuel intake, meaning it would never get off the ground – Duncan Walker"
"Engineers are currently trying to build a 180-seat fully electric jet that can fly for around 500km. The budget airline EasyJet has partnered with the aviation start-up Wright Electric to design and develop such a prototype plane that, if successful, could enter commercial service as early as 2030. Its travel routes would be limited – Paris to London for instance, not much further"
"Flying fully electric 180-seater aircraft commercially by 2030 is “very ambitious”, says Robert Thomson, a partner at Roland Berger. The more sober view is that by 2030 we will more likely see hybrid electric aircraft being rolled out. In these planes, propulsion is provided by batteries and electric motors alongside traditional combustion systems. “A 50-seater aircraft would become viable as a hybrid, maybe 2030, late 2020s – I think that’s the sort of timescale which is plausible,” says Thomson."
"One of the most closely-watched hybrid aircraft experiments of recent years was the E-Fan X, a joint project between Airbus, Siemens and Rolls-Royce. The concept for the plane featured a 100-seat BAE 146 aircraft that was to be modified so that one of its four engines would be powered by a 2 megawatt motor – that’s enough juice to power roughly 2,000 homes. The plan was to perform a test flight with the aircraft this year but the project was suddenly canned in April."
“You kind of go, ‘Ah, actually, this is going to be a lot more challenging than we thought’,”
None of those things that I quoted are positive, and give no realistic development of actual electric planes. And saying that we need to start somewhere doesn't mean that there is a realistic finish to what you want.

Bring back the deridgables. Cheapest most efficient air travel ever devised. Which is a major part of the reason that this "old technology" (which is superior) was taken away by virtue of an "accident". Money.

#691 2 years ago

Yeah, mate actually says in the first line which you quoted "... AND high tech gas powered vehicles". I guess some closed minded people will only read what they want to read. No wonder we are where we are.

#692 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

A low point in any thread.

Yes, but I assure you that no sarcasm is intended. I enjoy learning new things, and have a propensity to share at times even when it may not be welcomed.

#693 2 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Bring back the deridgables. Cheapest most efficient air travel ever devised. Which is a major part of the reason that this "old technology" (which is superior) was taken away by virtue of an "accident". Money.

Dirigibles are back and being built by Zepplin:
https://www.airships.net/zeppelin-nt/
We have one here in Southern California that is a replacement for the Goodyear Blimp.

It's much larger and defiantly has a different sound to it from the Goodyear built blimps. Imagine seeing one of these airships, bigger than a 747 minus wings, flying at lower altitudes (slower than a 747 but faster than the blimp it replaces).
https://www.dailynews.com/2017/10/26/photos-goodyear-airship-wingfoot-two-arrives-in-southern-california/

#694 2 years ago

My 2 cents. I drive a Kia EV6 now since november last year and I was not even interested in an EV in oktober last year. What made me change my mind was the range on that car, the speed of charging and the price of the car itself.

I must say that i have solar panels on my roof and that triggered me to look for an EV, because my wife makes a lot of very short drives to bring the kids to everything they do as most of it is just a little too far away or too dangerous for them to do by bycicle. Therefore I figured an EV would make sense as it does not need to warm the engine before it gets to its best efficiency.

But as I was looking at a plugin hybrid, the dealership told me about the EV6 that was about to arrive. It has a WLTP of 528 kilometers and can charge to 80% in 18 minutes provides the charger on the freeway has that capability. Those figures made me buy the EV6 for myself (and a Kia Niro Plugin Hybrid for the wife also).

After driving it for a few months I must say I really like it. My previous car was an Audi S3 but I like this EV6 better. What I was most worried about was the range, but as I can charge it at home (7 hours from empty to full) I most of the time only charge it a few times a week and not anymore than 70%. That give me a range of 300 kilometers (in wintertime, about 4 degrees celcius on average) and that is more than enough for any day for me. Nice thing is that the next day it again is on 300 kilometers, without going to a gas station.

I do not think an EV is better for the environment, but is sure is better for my wallet. Cost is about 3,80 euro per 100 Kilometer. With the Audi S3 the same distance cost me about 11 euro. But also the road tax for the EV is 0 euro. That already gives me 450 euro to spend on electricity. and that is about 12000 kilometer that I can drive and that costs me nothing. That combined with the fact that I already now in March can top up the car completely every day with the solar panels (which costs nothing) it is a real cost saving. Gasoline is 2 euro per liter here! I can truly say I am now enjoying driving more than with the Audi and that for me is a good reason to have an EV.

For longer trips we have the Plugin Hybrid, it does 900 kilometers on a full tank and is a good family car for a good price, but we are really considering taking the EV6 also on longer trips, as charging 20 minutes every 400 kilometers is not a big deal. You need to rest anyway to keep it safe.

#695 2 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

My 2 cents. I drive a Kia EV6 now since november last year and I was not even interested in an EV in oktober last year. What made me change my mind was the range on that car, the speed of charging and the price of the car itself.
I must say that i have solar panels on my roof and that triggered me to look for an EV, because my wife makes a lot of very short drives to bring the kids to everything they do as most of it is just a little too far away or too dangerous for them to do by bycicle. Therefore I figured an EV would make sense as it does not need to warm the engine before it gets to its best efficiency.
But as I was looking at a plugin hybrid, the dealership told me about the EV6 that was about to arrive. It has a WLTP of 528 kilometers and can charge to 80% in 18 minutes provides the charger on the freeway has that capability. Those figures made me buy the EV6 for myself (and a Kia Niro Plugin Hybrid for the wife also).
After driving it for a few months I must say I really like it. My previous car was an Audi S3 but I like this EV6 better. What I was most worried about was the range, but as I can charge it at home (7 hours from empty to full) I most of the time only charge it a few times a week and not anymore than 70%. That give me a range of 300 kilometers (in wintertime, about 4 degrees celcius on average) and that is more than enough for any day for me. Nice thing is that the next day it again is on 300 kilometers, without going to a gas station.
I do not think an EV is better for the environment, but is sure is better for my wallet. Cost is about 3,80 euro per 100 Kilometer. With the Audi S3 the same distance cost me about 11 euro. But also the road tax for the EV is 0 euro. That already gives me 450 euro to spend on electricity. and that is about 12000 kilometer that I can drive and that costs me nothing. That combined with the fact that I already now in March can top up the car completely every day with the solar panels (which costs nothing) it is a real cost saving. Gasoline is 2 euro per liter here! I can truly say I am now enjoying driving more than with the Audi and that for me is a good reason to have an EV.
For longer trips we have the Plugin Hybrid, it does 900 kilometers on a full tank and is a good family car for a good price, but we are really considering taking the EV6 also on longer trips, as charging 20 minutes every 400 kilometers is not a big deal. You need to rest anyway to keep it safe.

I think you're the first person to even mention KIA in this topic. I've been seeing T.V. ads for the EV6 but havent seen one yet. What I do see are a lot of SOUL EV's and recently several NERO EV's. Also been seeing a few Hyundai IONICs and KONA EVs on the road.

#696 2 years ago

Your EV will never see service like this

fill up (resized).jpgfill up (resized).jpg
#697 2 years ago

I think you're the first person to even mention KIA in this topic. I've been seeing T.V. ads for the EV6 but havent seen one yet. What I do see are a lot of SOUL EV's and recently several NERO EV's. Also been seeing a few Hyundai IONICs and KONA EVs on the road.

That is one of the reasons I posted here. The Kia has great range, fastest charging of all EV's at the moment, drives really good and it can be had for 45000 euro. It is also available with 560 HP for people that think they need that. I have the 260 HP rear wheel drive version and it is fast enough for me. Always quickest at the lights

Oh and it has a warranty of 7 years. I do not know if that is warranty is the same in the US but for me it was important as I can sell it in 4 years and the new owner wil have a longer warranty than when he would buy a new Tesla, Ford or Volkswagen, as the warranty is transferable.

#698 2 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

... Oh and it has a warranty of 7 years. I do not know if that is warranty is the same in the US but for me it was important as I can sell it in 4 years and the new owner will have a longer warranty than when he would buy a new Tesla, Ford or Volkswagen, as the warranty is transferable.

Ten year 100,000 miles Warranty in the U.S.

https://www.kia.com/us/en/ev6?chid=sem&ppc=y&aud=&CID=%25ebuy!&SID=%25esid!&PID=%25epid!&AID=%25eaid!&CRD=%25ecid!&gclid=c8bd215bbc081c965ca84360e4c33298&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=c8bd215bbc081c965ca84360e4c33298

But that's also what I got when I bought my 2012 Soul.

#699 2 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

That is one of the reasons I posted here. The Kia has great range, fastest charging of all EV's at the moment, drives really good and it can be had for 45000 euro. It is also available with 560 HP for people that think they need that. I have the 260 HP rear wheel drive version and it is fast enough for me. Always quickest at the lights
Oh and it has a warranty of 7 years. I do not know if that is warranty is the same in the US but for me it was important as I can sell it in 4 years and the new owner wil have a longer warranty than when he would buy a new Tesla, Ford or Volkswagen, as the warranty is transferable.

For comparison, Tesla has a 7 year powertrain warranty and three years bumper to bumper I believe. The Kia sounds like a good deal!

#700 2 years ago

This is the best service:

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 9.18.29 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-03-23 at 9.18.29 PM (resized).png

There are 10,026 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.