3%
  • Neutral 95 votes
    19%
  • *I actually like EVs* 269 votes
    55%

(489 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 16-44-36 EV vs. Gas Which Cars Are Cheaper to Own (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 7.44.38?AM (resized).png
IMG_5069 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 8.10.29?AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-17-22 Ford targets Tesla owners with $1 500 EV 'conquest' rebates (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-19-38 Family Own A Tesla Get $1 500 Off A Ford Mustang Mach-E Carscoops (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 11-54-36 Best Solar Generator for Home Backup Power EcoFlow US (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 09-48-53 EcoFlow DELTA Pro 2 × 220W Solar Panel DELTA Pro Extra Battery D - (Members-only) DELTA Pro 2
248edf2c-1a41-4790-a83f-64f0bd20ad95 (resized).png
f285d5d3-ceec-4b7f-a741-0770ba2431ef (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240409_134107.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
200w.gif
There are 10,031 posts in this topic. You are on page 109 of 201.
#5401 1 year ago
882D1BBE-935C-4543-A742-2A31157DA930 (resized).jpeg882D1BBE-935C-4543-A742-2A31157DA930 (resized).jpeg
#5402 1 year ago

I know right. For a start, here you go South it gets Colder, so there is the first opposite identified.

I suppose that doesn't count though for some of the 'earth flatters'. lol

#5403 1 year ago

Five plus years driving ev. Never once had a moment like this

#5404 1 year ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

There will be an entire subculture for Tesla charging station fight clubs.

Hey! You know the rules! Nobody talks about Tesla charging station fight club!

#5405 1 year ago

Did you remember to get gas?

#5406 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Did you remember to get gas?

This is a very real conversation that's happened in our household many times. My wife is notorious for letting the fuel level in her car hover around empty. Especially in the winter months.

#5408 1 year ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

This is a very real conversation that's happened in our household many times. My wife is notorious for letting the fuel level in her car hover around empty. Especially in the winter months.

Same. My wife hated pumping gas & it wasn't my favorite thing to do either. I had to do all the fueling in our cars even if she got home late, it was cold, bad weather, etc. I'd have to go back out and fill up the car(s) so she could go to work the next morning. Man, I don't miss doing that crap!

#5409 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

Same. My wife hated pumping gas & it wasn't my favorite thing to do either. I had to do all the fueling in our cars even if she got home late, it was cold, bad weather, etc. I'd have to go back out and fill up the car(s) so she could go to work the next morning. Man, I don't miss doing that crap!

sounds like it may have just been easier to get a new wife

#5410 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

With every electrical outlet being an EV “fuel pump” there’s one literally within a stones throw of almost everyone on the planet. While it may be slower and inconvenient… should SHTF it’ll be harder to get gas.
Problem we have today is auto makers like VW giving away a year of free DC fast charging with new car purchases. People that live locally will drive from their home and sit in their cars to get that free juice rather than charge at home for a few bucks. It really inconveniences long distance travelers that need those chargers. We really need to do away with free charging to stop incentivizing these new EV owners clogging the chargers to save a few bucks. If they are going to do it they need to limit it to the fast chargers at the dealers - away from the highways and travelers.

Tesla is just as guilty of this.

#5411 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Tesla is just as guilty of this.

I wouldn't say 'just as guilty'. They haven't offered unlimited supercharging since the 3 was released like 6 years ago. Back then there weren't near as many being produced either. They deliver more in 6 months now than all delivered combined 2012-1017.

And the 1,000 miles Tesla offered during a few Q pushes (or with a referral) is really only 3-6 charges - it goes quick. It's nothing like a year or two of UNLIMITED charging. Placing a mileage cap on it is a smarter way to do it and causes you to use it when you need it - like on a road trip.

#5412 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

I wouldn't say 'just as guilty'. They haven't offered unlimited supercharging since the 3 was released like 6 years ago. Back then there weren't near as many being produced either. They deliver more in 6 months now than all delivered combined 2012-1017.
And the 1,000 miles Tesla offered during a few Q pushes (or with a referral) is really only 3-6 charges - it goes quick. It's nothing like a year or two of UNLIMITED charging. Placing a mileage cap on it is a smarter way to do it and causes you to use it when you need it - like on a road trip.

I would say it is the same. Not many Tesla owners or leasees put on 10,000 Supercharger miles a year.

Currently it's 10,000 miles worth of free supercharging, not 1,000 miles. However that's defined.....

#5413 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Currently it's 10,000 miles worth of free supercharging, not 1,000 miles. However that's defined.....

The 10,000 miles free Supercharging was only offered Dec 15-31 2022 to push year end sales. They only offered it for those 2 weeks and they’ve never offered that high an amount before. Owners have up to 2 years to use those miles.

They have offered 1,000 miles a few times since 2016 - about once a year and usually for only a few weeks to drive Q end sales.
There is no current free Tesla supercharging being offered with new car sales.

As for how it’s calculated it’s defined by the car’s rated range - which is about 4.3 miles per kW supplied by the charger. It’s about 2,300 kW to go 10k miles. Rates are about 20-25 cents a kW so that’s like a $500 perk.

For reference Kia offers 1,000 kW of free Electrify America fast charging on every single EV they sell - 365 days a year. That’s about 4-5k miles of charging on every single car.

VW is worse going as far as offering 3 years unlimited charging on Electrify America fast charging network on all VW ID.4 models. 30 min max per session, but there’s a bug so all you have to do is move stalls and you can start another session free.

#5414 1 year ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Hey! You know the rules! Nobody talks about Tesla charging station fight club!

B616F5A1-954B-466A-84A5-7E7BBA956B55.gifB616F5A1-954B-466A-84A5-7E7BBA956B55.gif
#5415 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

The 10,000 miles free Supercharging was only offered Dec 15-31 2022 to push year end sales. They only offered it for those 2 weeks and they’ve never offered that high an amount before. Owners have up to 2 years to use those miles.
They have offered 1,000 miles a few times since 2016 - about once a year and usually for only a few weeks to drive Q end sales.
As for how it’s calculated it’s defined by the car’s rated range - which is about 4.3 miles per kW supplied by the charger. It’s about 2,300 kW to go 10k miles. Rates are about 20-25 cents a kW so that’s like a $500 perk.
For reference Kia offers 1,000 kW of free Electrify America fast charging on every single EV they sell - 365 days a year. That’s about 4-5k miles of charging on every single car.
VW is worse going as far as offering 3 years unlimited charging on Electrify America fast charging network on all VW ID.4 models. 30 min max per session, but there’s a bug so all you have to do is move stalls and you can start another session free.

I believe the Tesla deal went from December 15 2022 to January 12, 2023.

As for VW's deal being "bad", how does that compare to the free lifetime supercharging (to the first owner only) of early Model S vehicles?

#5416 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I believe the Tesla deal went from December 15 2022 to January 12, 2023.
As for VW's deal being "bad", how does that compare to the free lifetime supercharging (to the first owner only) of early Model S vehicles?

All articles I’ve found say the 10k free miles expired Dec 31 2022 - which makes sense as they wanted to boost year end sales.

Tesla discontinued free supercharging in mid 2016. From 2012 to mid 2016 they produced about 125,000 vehicles total and not all had free supercharging. Not all are still on the road either. But let’s say 50k are still out there? Each Tesla Supercharging location has on average 8-16 stalls. So a few older Model S owners charging isn’t a big deal. Electrify America charging locations are usually only 2 or 4 stalls. Much more of an impact.

VW sold half a million EV’s worldwide in 2022. Much less just in US (having a hard time finding the exact number). But all of those have 3 years of free unlimited charging. Every single one sold daily even today. When they show up at a charger that one car occupies 25-50% of available EA chargers vs a 2013 Model S showing up and occupying 1/10th or less of available Tesla Superchargers.

FD89A73A-BFEE-4636-95B7-1AB2CF9AF873 (resized).jpegFD89A73A-BFEE-4636-95B7-1AB2CF9AF873 (resized).jpeg

#5417 1 year ago

Anything less than a 3rd of a tank and the fuel pump works more. Not necessarily BAD for it but sure isn’t helping.

#5418 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

All articles I’ve found say the 10k free miles expired Dec 31 2022 - which makes sense as they wanted to boost year end sales.
Tesla discontinued free supercharging in mid 2016. From 2012 to mid 2016 they produced about 125,000 vehicles total and not all had free supercharging. Not all are still on the road either. But let’s say 50k are still out there? Each Tesla Supercharging location has on average 8-16 stalls. So a few older Model S owners charging isn’t a big deal. Electrify America charging locations are usually only 2 or 4 stalls. Much more of an impact.
VW sold half a million EV’s worldwide in 2022. Much less just in US (having a hard time finding the exact number). But all of those have 3 years of free unlimited charging. Every single one sold daily even today. When they show up at a charger that one car occupies 25-50% of available EA chargers vs a 2013 Model S showing up and occupying 1/10th or less of available Tesla Superchargers.
[quoted image]

One of the articles I found shows January 12th. Another indicated this was due to backlash of weather delays causing vehicles not being delivered by December 31st and Tesla saying they will deliver in early January, but no promised discount and no free Supercharging.....

Screenshot_20230205_211455_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230205_211455_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
#5419 1 year ago
Quoted from EJS:

Anything less than a 3rd of a tank and the fuel pump works more.

Sounds like some BS that a dad would preach. I imagine this old adage applies to EVs also... except we're the dads:

Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg

#5420 1 year ago
Quoted from EJS:

Anything less than a 3rd of a tank and the fuel pump works more. Not necessarily BAD for it but sure isn’t helping.

Accurate, but a bit dated. Back when fuel pumps were mechanical, they would suck gas from the tank, and having a full tank would reduce the work the pump needed to do. For vehicles with electric fuel pumps (everything for the last 40yrs), it makes no difference.

#5421 1 year ago
Quoted from PlanetExpress:

Accurate, but a bit dated. Back when fuel pumps were mechanical, they would suck gas from the tank, and having a full tank would reduce the work the pump needed to do. For vehicles with electric fuel pumps (everything for the last 40yrs), it makes no difference.

Except for a diesel with the pump on the frame rail (my 01 f250) I can tell a difference when it gets to a 1/4 tank. Back to the ev talk.

#5422 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

One of the articles I found shows January 12th. Another indicated this was due to backlash of weather delays causing vehicles not being delivered by December 31st and Tesla saying they will deliver in early January, but no promised discount and no free Supercharging.....
[quoted image]

Fair enough, but that seems to be a German based 3rd party accessory store instead of a credible news outlet or Tesla itself. It also mentions kilometers and says "until probably January 12, 2023" - low confidence. Perhaps this was only in Germany?

Tesla's own website shows the sale was over on Dec 31st.
https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharger#:~:text=If%20you%20took%20delivery%20of,Supercharging%2C%20open%20the%20Tesla%20app.

Even if Tesla extended 10k to Jan 12th the impact of offering 3 years of free charging by VW (that owns Electrify America's charging network) is just plain irresponsible. 3 years could easily be higher than 50,000 miles vs Tesla's 10,000. Plus with each Electrify America location only having 2-4 stalls (instead of 8-16 or more at a Tesla Supercharger) it greatly impacts the charging location.

Honestly they ALL need to stop offering any kind of free DC Fast Charging. Offer some free accessories, price discount, rebate, premium connectivity service, whatever but not free charging.

#5423 1 year ago

Morning peeps!

3B1C09EA-4743-41B9-B62F-08BB4A33CBB9 (resized).jpeg3B1C09EA-4743-41B9-B62F-08BB4A33CBB9 (resized).jpeg
#5424 1 year ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Morning peeps!
[quoted image]

humans are amazing creatures

#5425 1 year ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:Morning peeps!
[quoted image]

Do Tesla's have a reverse gear?

#5426 1 year ago

Why is he standing outside the vehicle like he’s just topping off the tank.
So many things wrong there.

#5427 1 year ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Morning peeps!
[quoted image]

Reminds me of this... designs vs human

#5428 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Do Tesla's have a reverse gear?

Assume the charger to the right is dead and there was a car in the parking spot on the left when he arrived, then this would make sense.

#5429 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Assume the charger to the right is dead and there was a car in the parking spot on the left when he arrived, then this would make sense.

So it's Tesla's fault either way then.

#5430 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Reminds me of this... designs vs human

That was one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever watched . . . I'm now dumber for having viewed it.

#5431 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

Jesus Christ. Just considering all these factors alone is a huge opportunity cost that favors ICE vehicles. How's that for "I hate EV's"!?

#5432 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

That was one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever watched . . . I'm now dumber for having viewed it.

Do product design and you’ll appreciate the humor…. What the lay do instead of what you think they will do

#5433 1 year ago

We did 280 EVSE charging projects last year. Chargers are part of helping me grow my pinball collection. EV

#5434 1 year ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Jesus Christ. Just considering all these factors alone is a huge opportunity cost that favors ICE vehicles. How's that for "I hate EV's"!?

So, I bought an ID.4 and received 3yrs of unlimited DC fast charging at Electrify America charging stations. How do ICE vehicles come out favorable in that equation?

#5435 1 year ago
Quoted from PlanetExpress:

So, I bought an ID.4 and received 3yrs of unlimited DC fast charging at Electrify America charging stations. How do ICE vehicles come out favorable in that equation?

Haha- You’re right. Discussion of free miles is probably not the best time to push that argument.

#5436 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Google image search found the reason from 4 years ago from My E-Life Now! Facebook page - "We've found a post from the owner of the car explaining the situation in a Facebook post (embedded below). Apparently, the car, which was somewhat, but not super-low on energy, refused to engage reverse gear. After charging up, it worked properly. Weird."

New Supercharger sites now install at least one pull through station - for those with bike racks or pulling trailers.

deleteme3 (resized).jpgdeleteme3 (resized).jpg
#5437 1 year ago

Here's why ICE fleet vehicles are just absolute toast:

https://electrek.co/2023/02/06/police-chief-explains-tesla-model-y-patrol-car-will-save/

...and why used EV batteries will have useful second lives without re-fabrication long before they need to be recycled at all:

https://electrek.co/2023/02/07/this-solar-storage-system-is-made-up-of-1300-second-life-ev-batteries/

#5438 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Here's why ICE fleet vehicles are just absolute toast:
https://electrek.co/2023/02/06/police-chief-explains-tesla-model-y-patrol-car-will-save/
...and why used EV batteries will have useful second lives without re-fabrication long before they need to be recycled at all:
https://electrek.co/2023/02/07/this-solar-storage-system-is-made-up-of-1300-second-life-ev-batteries/

Couldn’t get through more than 4-5 paragraphs. What a puff piece of hard hitting investigative journalism.

A58894C7-B539-45B3-86CE-5002EB0CE85E (resized).jpegA58894C7-B539-45B3-86CE-5002EB0CE85E (resized).jpeg

In three years it’ll be cheaply sold or given to someone in the department as they again reach for the latest and most expensive equipment they can burden their residents with.
When has a municipality ever truly tried to keep costs down?
As I business owner who deals with local governments daily, I can speak volumes about their need to waste tax dollars, not save.

#5439 1 year ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Couldn’t get through more than 4-5 paragraphs. What a puff piece of hard hitting investigative journalism.

[quoted image]

Sorry it didn't come in comic book format.

#5440 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Sorry it didn't come in comic book format.

Since you like cartoons

F178F2CD-2FA9-4AF0-A7D4-41729C47306E (resized).jpegF178F2CD-2FA9-4AF0-A7D4-41729C47306E (resized).jpeg
#5441 1 year ago

Here's an article from the town next door to me. Somerset, WI.

We are deep in Red Republican territory around here, with ICE lovers and coal rollers everywhere. Mechanics at car dealers around here just laugh at people who buy EV's. They'd better get their asses enrolled in continuing education classes at work to become certified on programming / servicing EV's, or they're gonna miss out on some work.

Being a small geo footprint in Somerset, a Model Y AWD dual motor set up as an in-town squad was a really smart move for their PD. I don't think the whole fleet of squads can be EV, but for the daily cruisers that park overnight, this was a no-brainer.

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/287279/20230207/somerset-pd-chief-shares-benefits-using-tesla-model-y-patrol.htm

#5442 1 year ago

servicing EV's, or they're gonna miss out on some work.

Wait what, I thought they were almost maint. free.

#5443 1 year ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Wait what, I thought they were almost maint. free.

You just said it. Almost. There are very few mechanical repairs, but there are still operating system and other software upgrades / repairs that can sometimes only be done in a dealer environment. Especially when those repairs involve a large system, like the entertainment / nav system. Yes, many updates can be pushed OTA, but not all.

And many of the regular maintenance items like brakes, suspension, body work, tires, alignments and more - those are ALL totally different on an EV platform due to the way the vehicles are constructed. Any mechanic who refuses to get certified to work on EV's is just pissing potential work down the drain.

You know, there used to be plenty of mechanics that wouldn't work on cars with onboard OBD-II interfaces. Now you can't even get a job as a mechanic unless you know how to use a code reader and program a vehicle. You have to be careful about choosing the hill you'll die on.

#5444 1 year ago

But what he did not quote... was the concerns over keeping the vehicle in service. Police cars get beat to shit. This is why Police Departments all over fought so hard when Ford killed the last body on frame crown vics. They are constantly being damaged and repaired - so keeping them 'duty ready' is a BIG deal. That is actually Telsa's WORST aspect these days... getting service and parts in a timely fashion. I think mr police chief is in for a reality check on that one.

#5445 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

Google image search found the reason from 4 years ago from My E-Life Now! Facebook page - "We've found a post from the owner of the car explaining the situation in a Facebook post (embedded below). Apparently, the car, which was somewhat, but not super-low on energy, refused to engage reverse gear. After charging up, it worked properly. Weird."
New Supercharger sites now install at least one pull through station - for those with bike racks or pulling trailers.
[quoted image]

So, I was right!

#5446 1 year ago

One interesting EV problem is brake rotors corroding from nonuse

#5447 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

But what he did not quote... was the concerns over keeping the vehicle in service. Police cars get beat to shit. This is why Police Departments all over fought so hard when Ford killed the last body on frame crown vics. They are constantly being damaged and repaired - so keeping them 'duty ready' is a BIG deal. That is actually Telsa's WORST aspect these days... getting service and parts in a timely fashion. I think mr police chief is in for a reality check on that one.

That's not really the case in small Western WI towns like this. We're more like Mayberry, USA here than downtown Portland. Damage to police cruisers here isn't that common.

Besides, after you pay the deductible, there's really isn't any difference in cost here. Time to repair will be nearly the same. Body shops around here are at least 2 months out on most repairs. Tesla body repair is the same.

But again, I'm not sure it's fair to include speculative costs. No one plans on an accident with body damage. You can pretty much plan on substantial engine maintenance over the life of a vehicle. Most OEM's even give you a schedule for it right in your manual.

#5448 1 year ago

But again, I'm not sure it's fair to include speculative costs. No one plans on an accident with body damage

Serviceability and parts availability is certainly part of any evaluation. It’s not speculative when they have their own history to go with to document need and need to weigh the consequence of equipment out of service.

Most commercial places use shops for fleet service because they don’t have the same needs are random joe…. When your equipment now can only be serviced by the retail consumer outlet… that is another issue.

Telsa has a long ways to go before it can really serve high load commercial uses… but it’s not really their focus atm. People can make these little buys… but it doesn’t scale out the same.

#5449 1 year ago

I remember when my family thought I was nuts for ditching my land line phone at my house. All kinds of "But what if....but what if.....but what if" going on.

There are 10,031 posts in this topic. You are on page 109 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread/page/109?hl=pinballizfun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.