3%
  • Neutral 95 votes
    19%
  • *I actually like EVs* 269 votes
    55%

(489 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 16-44-36 EV vs. Gas Which Cars Are Cheaper to Own (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 7.44.38?AM (resized).png
IMG_5069 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 8.10.29?AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-17-22 Ford targets Tesla owners with $1 500 EV 'conquest' rebates (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-19-38 Family Own A Tesla Get $1 500 Off A Ford Mustang Mach-E Carscoops (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 11-54-36 Best Solar Generator for Home Backup Power EcoFlow US (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 09-48-53 EcoFlow DELTA Pro 2 × 220W Solar Panel DELTA Pro Extra Battery D - (Members-only) DELTA Pro 2
248edf2c-1a41-4790-a83f-64f0bd20ad95 (resized).png
f285d5d3-ceec-4b7f-a741-0770ba2431ef (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240409_134107.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
200w.gif
There are 10,030 posts in this topic. You are on page 105 of 201.
#5201 1 year ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

if some dude is smashing the front of my vehicle with a pipe, im getting my insurance $$$ worth, im plowing my vehicle into the ass end of his and knocking bumpers off. ill tell the cops i freaked out and it was my self defense flight mechanism kicking in.

I agree. That would have been amazing.

#5202 1 year ago

Sometimes it’s worth it to pay the deductible…

#5203 1 year ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

if some dude is smashing the front of my vehicle with a pipe, im getting my insurance $$$ worth, im plowing my vehicle into the ass end of his and knocking bumpers off. ill tell the cops i freaked out and it was my self defense flight mechanism kicking in.

Timing is everything. You want maximum impact just as he’s re entering his car so the doorframe fucks him up and possible air bag explosion. “Sorry officer, I was terrified for my life! I thought I had it in reverse.

#5204 1 year ago

Time to hate on the AWD hybrid Corvette
107179297-1673957528889-24CHCR35021.jpg107179297-1673957528889-24CHCR35021.jpg

#5205 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Time to hate on the AWD hybrid Corvette
[quoted image]

While it doesn't plugin, the E-Ray is the quickest Corvette ever with 0-60 at 2.5 seconds and the quarter mile in 10.5 seconds. Still has V8 powertrain that drives the rears while electric motors drive the fronts for all wheel drive traction.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5206 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

While it doesn't plugin, the E-Ray is the quickest Corvette ever with 0-60 at 2.5 seconds and the quarter mile in 10.5 seconds. Still has V8 powertrain that drives the rears while electric motors drive the fronts for all wheel drive traction.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

For when you really want to annoy both the EV AND the ICE owners at the same time LOL

#5207 1 year ago

I think I would consider it, if it only just had a few more scoops on it.

#5208 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I think it would consider it, if it only just had a few more scoops on it.

Hahaha. Comment of the day!

But that thing is HOT! So cool. Wonder when/if they’ll make an all electric vette?

#5209 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I think it would consider it, if it only just had a few more scoops on it.

Will these do?
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#5210 1 year ago

Spotted this morning in Las Vegas. A superior Tesla M3 with condensation in one of the tail/brake light assemblies.

To be fair, we had a lot of rain over the past weekend.

4e7tdiotd58d (resized).jpg4e7tdiotd58d (resized).jpg
#5211 1 year ago

300lbs heavier than the Z06 per car and driver. Within 5k msrp of the Z06. Might be nice as a grand tourer but weighs almost 4000 lbs and doesn't have that flat plane crank scream. Z06 will continue to be hard to come by. Eray will have my Chevy dealer calling me trying to make a sale. I’ll stick with my z51 C8.

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

While it doesn't plugin, the E-Ray is the quickest Corvette ever with 0-60 at 2.5 seconds and the quarter mile in 10.5 seconds. Still has V8 powertrain that drives the rears while electric motors drive the fronts for all wheel drive traction.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

626AD1A7-D7F8-49AE-B371-0628BF36863D (resized).jpeg626AD1A7-D7F8-49AE-B371-0628BF36863D (resized).jpeg

#5212 1 year ago

I was really hoping for a little more from the e-ray than that. 0-60 2.5 sec and a 10.5 second 1/4 mile for a six figure car is not that good. Especially since a Plaid can do low 9's and even high 8's with some weight reduction - at the same price. Now granted there's some sexiness to the vette but then again all that is personal preference too.

#5213 1 year ago

I think the vette is taking the hybrid approach porsche, etc did with their high end ICE cars... trying to mimic F1, etc where you use the electric system as a kicker/boost concept rather than try to dive in and go EV.

Dabling with different approaches.

#5214 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I think the vette is taking the hybrid approach porsche, etc did with their high end ICE cars.

You've got to be gentle with the old men with small dicks crowd.

Start with a hybrid, then over the next decade, slowly ween them over to full performance EVs

#5215 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Start with a hybrid, then over the next decade, slowly ween them over to full performance EVs

Or wait for them to die.

#5216 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Well, we'll see how Dodge's cold turkey experiment goes...

#5217 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Those are your suburban-living, over-sized pick up truck, Ford Expedition XL, Chevy Suburban, Cadillac Escalade etc. drivers. Prius and modest EV drivers are those that have nothing to cover for in that department.

#5218 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Spotted this morning in Las Vegas. A superior Tesla M3 with condensation in one of the tail/brake light assemblies.
To be fair, we had a lot of rain over the past weekend.
[quoted image]

I had this happen to one of my teslas. They came out and replaced the assembly in my parking lot while I worked.

#5219 1 year ago
Screenshot_2023-01-18-19-19-23-65_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpgScreenshot_2023-01-18-19-19-23-65_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
#5220 1 year ago

Any of your EV douchers post this yet? Because HOOOOOOOOOLY CRAP!

#5221 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Any of your EV douchers post this yet? Because HOOOOOOOOOLY CRAP!

It sounds like a scale model RC car racing through a miniature Vegas.

#5222 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

It sounds like a scale model RC car racing through a miniature Vegas.

RIP Ken, the guy was insanely talented. Watching that speedometer is crazy. I can only imagine the Gs he was feeling. Wish I couldve seen this in action for as much as Im in Vegas.

#5223 1 year ago

I do wonder how and what it costs to shut down Vegas to the point where you can do something like that. Awesome driving skills, indeed.

#5224 1 year ago

Insane driving skills! That must have been a rush to do that.

#5225 1 year ago

Impressive. He may burn through tires even faster than zaphX.

#5226 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I do wonder how and what it costs to shut down Vegas to the point where you can do something like that. Awesome driving skills, indeed.

I’m assuming that was shot during the pandemic shut down. The strip was that desolate during that period. It was a little spooky, but pretty cool to be able to see everything with no tourists or traffic. Having said that, we’re relieved to have things back, closer to normal.

FYI: Formula 1 is coming to Las Vegas, so they will be shutting down portions of the strip for the race.

#5227 1 year ago
Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

I’m assuming that was shot during the pandemic shut down.

No

#5229 1 year ago

Don't worry, the Musketeers can explain all of this. Nothing to see here.....

#5230 1 year ago

Yawn. I’m supposed to believe one guy with a video? Listen, I’m sure it’s not a perfect situation. But you’re part of the problem too.What are you doing about it? Heading back to the stone ages? You also growing and eating your own food? You typing these posts on a computer or is it magic? How about the battery in the camera the guy used to take that video?

I used to abhor the idea of sweatshops too. Until I visited one. And found out the workers were grateful for the work because they could help feed their families. Then the “good guys” get it closed down. And nobody in that town eats. It’s way more complicated than a simple gotcha video.

#5231 1 year ago

We covered the conflict cobalt a few pages ago. It’s up to the companies that consume the cobalt to confirm where and how it was sourced. Some companies, like Tesla, are finally public about this information and sourcing locally (Canada) and requiring confirmation of non conflict cobalt or removing cobalt entirely. Some are not. Several are in lawsuits about this very thing - Apple and Google come to mind but there ar more.

As paynemic has said there’s so many devices that use batteries in our lives. I think we would all be shocked at how and where some components for devices we use every day are sourced. Doing due diligence BEFORE you come to conclusions is the only option. Believing one online article or video is not that.

#5232 1 year ago

You can mark my words now…..or later if you want……
EV’s are a fad. They are not sustainable.
They are filling a gap until better technology comes along.
I am driving my ICE vehicles until they fall apart. Then evaluate options after that.

#5233 1 year ago
Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

I am driving my ICE vehicles until they fall apart. Then evaluate options after that.

I will indeed mark your words. However, what ISNT a transitional technology given enough time? Is there anything that won’t be replaced when something more awesome comes along?
“Mark my words, cellphones are a fad…” yep. I’ll be right about that too, if I wait long enough.

I think EVs will be around until vtol personal transports (drones) become commonplace. Traffic problems melt away when you can use the 3rd dimension. Cars are a fad. Mark my words.

#5234 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I will indeed mark your words. However, what ISNT a transitional technology given enough time? Is there anything that won’t be replaced when something more awesome comes along?
“Mark my words, cellphones are a fad…” yep. I’ll be right about that too, if I wait long enough.
I think EVs will be around until vtol personal transports (drones) become commonplace. Traffic problems melt away when you can use the 3rd dimension. Cars are a fad. Mark my words.

Ehhhhhh i think before that well have a better vehicle fuel than batteries. Hydrogen and fusion are breaking solid ground.

#5235 1 year ago

We will need to expand the production amount of copper, zinc, cobalt and lithium by 5x in the next 10 years to make the targets set by govts in 2035. History shows we’ve never made 2x in that span.

#5236 1 year ago

Ehhhhhh i think before that well have a better vehicle fuel than batteries. Hydrogen and fusion are breaking solid ground.

Dude. You know fusion creates electricity, right? And that would power vehicles by…. Yeah. Electricity.

#5237 1 year ago

There’s a point of regulatory capture where government agencies become made up of pro industry stooges and zealots, not industry watchdogs looking out for the consumer and the environment.
That’s right around the corner for EV’s, if not here already.
Trains, planes, military, nuclear, auto & pharma (just to name a few) all achieved this really neat trick and most within my lifetime.
That’s the only thing that’ll propel EV’s into the mainstay of our economy and it’ll surely have the same disastrous consequences on the environment and public policy.
There’s nothing new and futuristic here.
It’s the same, tired, injurious grab for cash, regulatory controls and power.
Wanna really help the environment...drive an already manufactured, 8-10 year old Toyota sparingly. It’s boring and has no status, but study after study shows it has the smallest environmental footprint.
Wanna toy worship, enjoy a good circle jerk, waste money, hurt the poor and lead to the same tired outcome? Go EV.

#5238 1 year ago

EVs are 100% here to stay.
What is a "Fad" or what tech will change is the electricity storage and generation.
But an EV is just a much more simple vehicle to design and manufacture with less parts and complexity vs ICE, the car companies are not going back

#5239 1 year ago

You know what will propel EVs into the mainstream?

Simply being the better product.

A keen eye might notice something about the top of the charts

Rimac Nevera – 1.85 seconds (0-60mph)
Lucid Air Sapphire – 1.89 seconds (0-60mph)
Pininfarina Battista – 1.9 seconds (0-62mph)
Tesla Model S Plaid – 2.3 seconds (0-60mph)
Ultima Evolution Coupe (supercharged) & Ultima RS LT5 – 2.3 seconds (0-60mph)
Dodge Challenger SRT Demon – 2.3 seconds (0-60mph)
Bugatti Chiron Super Sport – 2.4 seconds (0-62mph)
Koenigsegg Jesko – 2.5 seconds (0-60mph)
Ferrari SF90 Stradale - 2.5 seconds (0-62mph)
Hennessey Venom F5 – 2.6 seconds (0-60mph)

One of the few times the Trickle Down theory is accurate

#5240 1 year ago

What part of them is not sustainable when over 95% of the battery components can be recycled right back into new cells with zero loss of functionality? That means at a certain point almost no new materials will be needed. I'm curious what you mean by not sustainable.

Hydrogen and fusion are breaking solid ground

Indeed they are but there are so many problems with hydrogen it is DOA in my opinion. Who wants to be tied to a fuel pump? I'm so happy to have ditched the need to stop at a fueling station every week it's not even funny. To be able to 'fuel' at home (or literally anywhere there is an electric plug) is a huge benefit to EV ownership.

Plus it isn't hard to find all kinds of problems with hydrogen. For one it's hard to contain without it escaping. But the largest issue is that you're using electricity to create hydrogen that is stored, transported, stored, pumped to cars, then used to create electricity. You see the problem there right? Using electricity to power an EV means that 75% of the power is directly converted to the wheels. Where as hydrogen is less than 25%. It is far less efficient to use - and it's not even close. Much better to just use that initial energy to fill a battery.

And hydrogen costs are about double the cost of gas - $0.25 per mile vs $0.14 for gas or $0.03 for an EV charged at home. That means over 100,000 miles of ownership a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle will cost you $14,000 more than a gas car or a whopping $22,000 more in fuel than an EV. That's another compact car! Cost is a huge deterrent for consumers. Perhaps eventually the infrastructure improvements will help bring this cost down - if it survives long enough.

That said, I believe there is a place for both. Hydrogen may be a good fit for mass transit. Bus, train, semi, etc. But I don't see it ever catching on for the general commuter car.

temp (resized).PNGtemp (resized).PNG
#5241 1 year ago

Blah blah blah carry on.
Batteries suck. Not sustainable.
Carry on.

#5242 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Dude. You know fusion creates electricity, right? And that would power vehicles by…. Yeah. Electricity.

Actually, fusion does not create electricity. Neither does coal, natural gas, or nuclear fission. They all create heat, which is then used to boil water and make steam, which spins turbines that generate the electricity.
So, anything that uses electricity from a power generating station is actually steam powered!
The Steam Era has not ended yet.

#5243 1 year ago
Quoted from DCP:

Actually, fusion does not create electricity. Neither does coal, natural gas, or nuclear fission. They all create heat, which is then used to boil water and make steam, which spins turbines that generate the electricity.
So, anything that uses electricity from a power generating station is actually steam powered!
The Steam Era has not ended yet.

Because, you know,science.

#5244 1 year ago

Blah blah blah carry on.
Batteries suck. Not sustainable.
Carry on.

So you have no logical reason then?
Carry on.

#5245 1 year ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Wanna really help the environment...drive an already manufactured, 8-10 year old Toyota sparingly. It’s boring and has no status, but study after study shows it has the smallest environmental footprint.
Wanna toy worship, enjoy a good circle jerk, waste money, hurt the poor and lead to the same tired outcome? Go EV.

#5246 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

How long before the governments regular automobile acceleration? Seriously, when only a handful of idiots can afford quick cars is one thing, but in the hands of the masses after a few key accidents from out-of-control drivers there will be the desire to control. I think the same goes for the giant screens in cars. There have already been lawsuits and government regulation over road signs displaying information that was "too distracting" to drivers.

#5247 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Most people could care less about 0-60 times, what will help make EVs mainstream is affordability and availability. And we aren’t there yet.

#5248 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Most people could care less about 0-60 times, what will help make EVs mainstream is affordability and availability. And we aren’t there yet.

A camary xle v6 is $40k MSRP with only modest options
A honda accord ex v6 is basically 31k MSRP

A Tesla Model 3 moderately optioned is about 50k MSRP - 7500 incentive

So less than 10% difference than the camary... a minivan is 45k+

The gap isn't that big when people are actually shopping new cars.

#5249 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

A camary xle v6 is $40k MSRP with only modest options
A honda accord ex v6 is basically 31k MSRP
A Tesla Model 3 moderately optioned is about 50k MSRP - 7500 incentive
So less than 10% difference than the camary... a minivan is 45k+
The gap isn't that big when people are actually shopping new cars.

That’s just a small part of the equation, you’re not going on to a lot and finding a 3-5 yr old Tesla for $20k. Also what’s the current wait time on a new Tesla? Americans are an impatient bunch

#5250 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

That’s just a small part of the equation, you’re not going on to a lot and finding a 3-5 yr old Tesla for $20k. Also what’s the current wait time on a new Tesla? Americans are an impatient bunch

Looks like wait time is 0-5 weeks for a model 3.

CC847F7D-65A4-4701-B531-838EDAC15AED (resized).jpegCC847F7D-65A4-4701-B531-838EDAC15AED (resized).jpeg
There are 10,030 posts in this topic. You are on page 105 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread/page/105 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.